Dye Changes Feedback/Questions

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Loboling.5293

Loboling.5293

Hey everyone,

I had heard we’d be getting some upgrades in tandem with the upcoming launch in China of Guild Wars 2. It seems account-bound dyes are about to become a thing with this feature update.

source:
https://www.guildwars2.com/en-gb/news/dyes-in-the-new-account-wardrobe/

There is no mention of changing dyes costing money, but I noticed in the picture they posted of the process, there seems to be some kind of cost in “transmutation charges”. I hope this is only because they took the picture straight from the new chinese edition, with translations.

I personally, love to change up my dyes. I like doing it it randomly, and even wish they would expand the system to allow you to dye your weapons. I’m all for account bound dyes, but I’m worried about never getting dye drops anymore and the potential cost of changing dyes.

Hopefully Anet can clear up this confusion, as the post on the main page doesn’t actually talk about these “transmutation charges”. Also, will the mystic forge and the gem store be the only places to acquire dyes? What are these “select in-game rewards” that also give the players dyes?

Posted by: Galen Grey.4709

Galen Grey.4709

According to the video they released with the wardrobe system the transmutation charges applied just to well transmutations. When at 1:50s he changes a dye colour the interface clearly says the cost of applying that is 0 transmutation charges. So seems it will still be free to change dyes only change there is acquiring dyes will probably be more expensive now.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

The transmutations charges is for using the skins in the new wardrobe.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

Did you read the other article? the transumation charges are more for the new wardrobe system.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

Watch the dye price spike lol

http://gw2tp.net/items/6456-unidentified-dye

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

This ^
Can’t wait to see how much we get kittened by the gemstore now for the charges…

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

Posted by: Algonda Friedenbaum.2930

Algonda Friedenbaum.2930

Just as I saw that this notice was posted, I happened to be working with my guardian’s armor (she’s in Braham’s, except for the helm, which is the Icelord’s Heavy Diadem), and just changed the colors to ‘Celestial’, except for a couple of accents here & there. While we can, I presume, certainly keep the looks we have for each character, I like the concept of having to really work to get certain armor sets (or, in this particular case, buy them at the Trading Post). Same thing goes for the dyes — having that random chance of getting the one you really like adds to the game, so I’m not really all that much in favor of having the unidentified dye drops pretty much go away. Another thing that wasn’t really clear at first glance was whether or not dyes will still be able to be sold, traded, etc. A little clarification on this point would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Posted by: Elysium.8703

Elysium.8703

With the removal of Dye’s from the random drop table will there be any change to the requirement of 250 dyes for the Gift of Color? Having to now rely on either dye acquisition through gems or laurels, it seems rather expensive compared to other legendary components.

Posted by: Loyo.8526

Loyo.8526

What about Bifrost? Will it keep its requirement of 250 unidentified dyes even though they now only drop from the mystic forge and timegated by laurels?

Ok, this is technically a smaller issue, but figured its worth asking.

Khloe Deschanel – Human Necromancer/ Ami Ginju – Human Ranger [DOLO] -SBI
I stream sometimes: http://www.twitch.tv/kidtofu/
“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum”

Posted by: Emrad.9260

Emrad.9260

In the blogpost it’s quite clear that identified and unidentified dyes will still be tradeable.

Posted by: Lil Puppy.5216

Lil Puppy.5216

Both specific colors of dye and unidentified dyes will still be tradable and available on the Trading Post, and hue-specific dyes can still be crafted. The process for identifying unidentified dyes will remain the same.

Says in the Unidentified Drop Rate section

I’m loving this update already, especially this part:

If you already have the same dyes unlocked on multiple characters, when you log in on additional characters, you will receive one unidentified dye for each duplicate dye already unlocked on your account.

Several dozen unids coming my way.

Posted by: Imperatora.7654

Imperatora.7654

this is a big question for me as well as I’ve been trying for Bifrost for a while now…

Posted by: Algonda Friedenbaum.2930

Algonda Friedenbaum.2930

Whoops. My goof. Must have gotten some dye in my eye. :P

Posted by: sinzer.4018

sinzer.4018

This ^
Can’t wait to see how much we get kittened by the gemstore now for the charges…

I’d imagine they’ll be the cost of the crystals not the stones so if you’re using <level 80 gear you’ll be paying more.

Btw, the article isn’t as clear as it could be…

“If you already have the same dyes unlocked on multiple characters, when you log in on additional characters, you will receive one unidentified dye for each duplicate dye already unlocked on your account.”

im assuming this means that the dyes we currently have unlocked will become account bound.

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

When you unlock a dye after the feature pack is released, all characters on your account will have unlimited access to that color.”

key word above is after.

from minor to major things, you folks sure do know how to push players closer to the door 1 patch at a time. there’s always a caveat, and that caveat usually requires even more grind time, cash or gems.

you guys and gals better make a good impression of things to come for professions and combat in this patch as well or you are dooming yourselves to be stuck with only players who enjoy virtual dress up.

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

If you already have the same dyes unlocked on multiple characters, when you log in on additional characters, you will receive one unidentified dye for each duplicate dye already unlocked on your account.”

This is in the paragraph right after the one you quoted.

Posted by: Cush.4063

Cush.4063

Ya, might wanna finish reading before you make assumptions

Posted by: SallyStitches.4096

SallyStitches.4096

When you unlock a dye after the feature pack is released, all characters on your account will have unlimited access to that color.”

key word above is after.

from minor to major things, you folks sure do know how to push players closer to the door 1 patch at a time. there’s always a caveat, and that caveat usually requires even more grind time, cash or gems.

you guys and gals better make a good impression of things to come for professions and combat in this patch as well or you are dooming yourselves to be stuck with only players who enjoy virtual dress up.

If you had taken the time to watch the video included, you’d see he said all the dyes you have now will be available to all your characters, it’s just any dye you acquire AFTER the patch will be account bound instead of character bound.

sinzer.4018

If you already have the same dyes unlocked on multiple characters, when you log in on additional characters, you will receive one unidentified dye for each duplicate dye already unlocked on your account.”

Which while not clearly stating current unlocked dyes will become account bound this paragraph would make no sense without it.

Not buying Abyss for my alts has really paid off :p

Posted by: CrossedHorse.4261

CrossedHorse.4261

I think it also says that if you have dyes unlocked on a character you just log in with each character for that dye to be added to your account. Where you have unlocked two of the same dye on different characters, one dye goes to the account and you get an unidentified dye. That seems to cover all bases, unless I’ve missed something?

Posted by: Feirlista Xv.1425

Feirlista Xv.1425

And all the dyes you have now become account bound so all your alts get them what is the problem “can’t read”. This is the coolest thing ever I now have 156 dyes on all my characters.

Opinions are like ______ everyone has one I could
put the correct term in but not everyone has kittens

Swagger.1459

I’m tired and may have jumped the gun. i’ll review it again with a more awake set of eyes and brain.

Posted by: SirJack.4760

SirJack.4760

Quick question regarding the new dye System, will the Gift of Color for the Bifrost Legendary still require 250 Unidentified Dyes?
It seems a little excessive given the significantly reduced rate of acquisition. Since craftable dyes don’t count for this, this is a cost of either 125 Laurels or buying a lot from the gem store, which IMO is unbalanced against the crafting cost of other legendaries.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I’m tired and may have jumped the gun. i’ll review it again with a more awake set of eyes and brain.

offers coffee

hmmm

also offers mt dew, or coca cola

wake up bud!

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

I guess Anet deserves an apology, Mr. Swagger

Swagger.1459

offers coffee

hmmm

also offers mt dew, or coca cola

wake up bud!

thanks! i’ll take the java

Posted by: X The Manimal.5293

X The Manimal.5293

Nonsense! Every, and I mean EVERY, release/patch ANet puts out MUST have a negative that is pushing “everyone” to the brink! And it MUST be posted to the forums with righteous anger! -_-

Posted by: Beta Sprite.4169

Beta Sprite.4169

This was my first thought after reading about the dye update as well. It would be nice to get an answer on this.

~Beta

Swagger.1459

I guess Anet deserves an apology, Mr. Swagger

you are correct. sorry anet and bald guy in the video!

Posted by: pswendel.8179

pswendel.8179

Which while not clearly stating current unlocked dyes will become account bound this paragraph would make no sense without it.

It’s saying the opposite. If you had bought abyss on one of your alts you would get an account unlock.

Swagger.1459

Nonsense! Every, and I mean EVERY, release/patch ANet puts out MUST have a negative that is pushing “everyone” to the brink! And it MUST be posted to the forums with righteous anger! -_-

qft!

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

I see a few problems with this.

People have spent a lot of gold and real money getting expensive dyes (specifically the limited time ones) for multiple characters because anet always said account bound dyes was never going to happen.

And in return…we’ll be getting regular old unidentified dyes for repeats? That seems completely fair. Heavy sarcasm intended.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

People have spent a lot of gold and real money getting expensive dyes for multiple characters. Specifically the unique limited time dyes.

And in return…we’ll be getting regular old unidentified dyes for repeates? That seems completely fair. Heavy sarcasm intended.

They may treat the duplicate specialty dyes differently – ie you get an unidentified dye from that specialty set. That’s not directly called out. However, maybe we can pop that question out there for the devs, or see if they field it during the livestream on Friday.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: CrossedHorse.4261

CrossedHorse.4261

It’s saying the opposite. If you had bought abyss on one of your alts you would get an account unlock.

I think he means he has it on his main but didn’t buy it again for his alts. So in this case, it’s paid off.

I’m really glad I’ve been sitting on a two whole bank tabs of dyes for ages now because I couldn’t decide which alt to give them to. Now, they can all have them, and I get bank space (and even more as I can get rid of duplicate armor sets because of the new wardrobe).

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

People have spent a lot of gold and real money getting expensive dyes for multiple characters. Specifically the unique limited time dyes.

And in return…we’ll be getting regular old unidentified dyes for repeates? That seems completely fair. Heavy sarcasm intended.

They may treat the duplicate specialty dyes differently – ie you get an unidentified dye from that specialty set. That’s not directly called out. However, maybe we can pop that question out there for the devs, or see if they field it during the livestream on Friday.

It doesn’t matter if it is a dye from that set unless it’s a guaranteed chance of getting one because we all know how miserable the drop chances for those dyes were to begin with. It may as well be a regular one if it’s not.

Posted by: Sola.7250

Sola.7250

Wow, I just don’t see the reason for this, Dyes weren’t that hard to get, and just enough rare colors to make them fun finding them.

You could even make some good gold making/upgrading & selling Dyes!

Posted by: Kimehcol.8742

Kimehcol.8742

“If you already have the same dyes unlocked on multiple characters, when you log in on additional characters, you will receive one unidentified dye for each duplicate dye already unlocked on your account.”

Does this mean that… say I have celestial on 1 character, and Abyss on another… I need to purchase both of them again? Or does this mean that all dyes currently owned throughout all characters will be mingled into 1 and for every dyes you have in common with another character, you are given another unidentified dye?

~Elehmental

(edited by Kimehcol.8742)

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

No. I means the exact opposite of that.

If you have Celestial on 1 character and Abyss on another, you will now have Celestial and Abyss on ALL of your characters.

If you have Celestial on 2 characters, you will now have Celestial on ALL of your characters and get 1 Unidentified Dye (to repay you for the duplicate Celestial).

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Zone.1275

Zone.1275

I have no idea how you came to that conclusion.

They’re saying you’re getting a free unidentified dye if some characters have the same dye unlocked already.

Posted by: conradpedalo.5381

conradpedalo.5381

Would this be considered an exploit to cash in on this unidye bubble?

Just let me die so I can waypoint out this mess

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

It was never illegal to sell your laurels by buying dyes and selling them. You can do it if you want.

mtpelion.4562

Would this be considered an exploit to cash in on this unidye bubble?

No.

You are cashing in one currency for dye in order to sell the dye for another currency.

Those are your laurels, use them as you see fit.

sinzer.4018

I think he means he has it on his main but didn’t buy it again for his alts. So in this case, it’s paid off.

Nailed it in one. Only my main has abyss. I kinda feel sorry for people who ended up getting expensive dyes on multiple characters as you’re gonna get shafted by the unidentified dyes.

Posted by: pswendel.8179

pswendel.8179

Nailed it in one. Only my main has abyss. I kinda feel sorry for people who ended up getting expensive dyes on multiple characters as you’re gonna get shafted by the unidentified dyes.

I see, I see. They likely won’t get shafted, but not as lucky as you

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

While I’m not going for The Bifrost myself, when I read these dyes would no longer drop as loot, my first thought was “So how are we expected to make those things requiring Gift of Color?”

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

Posted by: ANGELofPAIN.4809

ANGELofPAIN.4809

With the changes to the color system, unidentified dye will not be as easy to obtain.

There will be a change at the recipe with the patch?
Or will there be an alternative next to the old recipe?
Or remains all the same?

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

All I want to know is this: If I have Celestial unlocked on one character will it now be available on all my other characters after the patch?

Yes, it’ll be nice to get dev confirmation on this.

I can see how both sides are getting their understanding from the blog-post, and don’t trust that the video isn’t misstated.

Too much history with ArenaNet announcements for me to be confident about this until they come out and clarify.

Posted by: munkiman.3068

munkiman.3068

It’s only 125 Laurels… That’s really not that bad. Buy em up now though on the TP, they’ll prolly sky rocket in price.

[TAO] Founder/Owner and Administrator for the NSP Server Website

mtpelion.4562

The fact that they aren’t removing Unidentified Dyes completely suggests that the recipe for the Gift of Color will be unchanged.

A lot more expensive, but unchanged.

Posted by: Korimor.2406

Korimor.2406

there will be thousands upon thousands of unid dyes generated the day of the update, if not millions. It won’t matter, prices won’t be as high as everyone thinks

everyone is stockpiling dyes to get bunches of unid dyes at update thinking they can sell for a profit, when in reality only a few will make profits, as there is tons of people doing this as it is a fairly cheap “adventure” into investing. So there will be TONS of Unid dyes day of update from all the hopefuls hoping to become instantly rich.

Don’t fret it

Maguuma – “The Legendary Guy”
Jedi – Revenant, Tylox – Thief, Roeina – Ele, Korimor – Warrior
youtube.com/user/KorimorSWG