Dye Changes Feedback/Questions

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

All I want to know is this: If I have Celestial unlocked on one character will it now be available on all my other characters after the patch?

Yes, it’ll be nice to get dev confirmation on this.

I can see how both sides are getting their understanding from the blog-post, and don’t trust that the video isn’t misstated.

Too much history with ArenaNet announcements for me to be confident about this until they come out and clarify.

From my post in another thread, based on how the blog reads:

I have Celestial on both my ele and my mes at this time. When I log onto my ele, Celestial now becomes account bound and available to all of my characters. When I log onto my mes, Celestial is already known and cannot be added again to my account bound colors. To compensate, I will get a free unidentified dye. If I had Celestial on say my necro, I would get another unidentified dye, since I already have that color in my palette.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

there will be thousands upon thousands of unid dyes generated the day of the update, if not millions. It won’t matter, prices won’t be as high as everyone thinks

everyone is stockpiling dyes to get bunches of unid dyes at update thinking they can sell for a profit, when in reality only a few will make profits, as there is tons of people doing this as it is a fairly cheap “adventure” into investing. So there will be TONS of Unid dyes day of update from all the hopefuls hoping to become instantly rich.

Don’t fret it

Thousands upon thousands, many (most?) of which will instantly be consumed by players trying to roll the dice and get some additional dyes once the patch goes live, since the dyes are now account-wide.

Day of update will have a lot of dye, but that number will rapidly decrease (I’d say at least 50% will be used up the same day) and with the significant decrease in acquisition rates, unidentified dyes will become very expensive as time goes on.

If you are working on Bifrost, or will be working on Bifrost, I strongly recommend that you retain the unidentified dyes you receive on patch day.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Killface.1896

Killface.1896

Price are gonna go down when patch hit everyone will get like 1000 unidentified dyes if they have same colors on alts,so many have put cheap dyes on all there alts already for big pay day on patch day.

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

So do you think it’s a good idea to buy some of the more expensive dyes now so I’ll have em for all my toons or wait till after the patch? I’m thinking there will be a rush for dyes after the patch so prices will jump, and then an even bigger rise in prices since they will become less common. Thoughts? Buy now?

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Posted by: kitsuneshoujo.5734

kitsuneshoujo.5734

Nothing like cherry picking an article to find something to complain about!

Posted by: CrossedHorse.4261

CrossedHorse.4261

So do you think it’s a good idea to buy some of the more expensive dyes now so I’ll have em for all my toons or wait till after the patch? I’m thinking there will be a rush for dyes after the patch so prices will jump, and then an even bigger rise in prices since they will become less common. Thoughts? Buy now?

I’d buy now – I reckon dyes are only going to increase in value from now on, since they’re no longer dropping in the open world after the patch.

Posted by: sinzer.4018

sinzer.4018

The rush will have started already. Ideally… buy last week.

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

I have Celestial on both my ele and my mes at this time. When I log onto my ele, Celestial now becomes account bound and available to all of my characters. When I log onto my mes, Celestial is already known and cannot be added again to my account bound colors. To compensate, I will get a free unidentified dye. If I had Celestial on say my necro, I would get another unidentified dye, since I already have that color in my palette.

Yeah, I totally get how you’re reading this in the blog.

I also understand how people are reading that when you log on your Ele and your Mes will still have access to Celestial, but to unlock it for the entire account you will need to buy Celestial one more time, post-patch and use it. Then, when you next log on to your Ele you will get a free unid dye, and when you next log on to your Mes you will get another.

The wording allows both interpretations, and I don’t trust the video enough to confidently take it as confirmation of your position.

So I’ll wait for a confirmation from the Devs, or, more likely given their communication history, patch day to say I know for sure.

Gibson.4036

Posted by: somsom.5201

somsom.5201

My issue: I have purchased some gem store items in the past and after using some of them, decided that I didn’t like them all that much and transmuted over them.

I know in the blogpost it says something like “one transmutation level only”, but you’d think if you’d unlocked something(ie: purchased it) they would be able to track it.

Can we get a dev response concerning how the system “tracks” unlocked items? I know going forth it will work correctly; I just want to see if I need to re-buy some gem store sets/TP items if the system doesn’t truly keep track of items we’ve “unlocked”.

Posted by: ANGELofPAIN.4809

ANGELofPAIN.4809

i have 250 unident dyes (all loot) at my bank … waiting for a precursor, so buying is not “my” problem …

but when the recipe is changed, i can do other things with the 250 unident dyes …
it would be nice to know that early

right, there will be many unident dyes at the days after the patch … but in the past most colors came in the game by loot, this source will no longer exist …
many players (and future players) will now try to unlock all colors at their account without spending money/gold at the gemstore or buy the expensive colors directly …

so it’s only a matter of time until the manufacture of Bifrost is more expensive than other legendarys

Posted by: Delloro.9873

Delloro.9873

Posted by: sinzer.4018

sinzer.4018

If you already have the same dyes unlocked on multiple characters, when you log in on additional characters, you will receive one unidentified dye for each duplicate dye already unlocked on your account.”

This is in the paragraph right after the one you quoted.

Which while not clearly stating current unlocked dyes will become account bound this paragraph would make no sense without it.

Not buying Abyss for my alts has really paid off :p

It’s saying the opposite. If you had bought abyss on one of your alts you would get an account unlock.

I think he means he has it on his main but didn’t buy it again for his alts. So in this case, it’s paid off.

Nailed it in one. Only my main has abyss. I kinda feel sorry for people who ended up getting expensive dyes on multiple characters as you’re gonna get shafted by the unidentified dyes.

I see, I see. They likely won’t get shafted, but not as lucky as you

Receiving some cheap dye instead of an abyss would be painful though.

Seras.5702

Woa….I need to leave work early today…..

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I also understand how people are reading that when you log on your Ele and your Mes will still have access to Celestial, but to unlock it for the entire account you will need to buy Celestial one more time, post-patch and use it. Then, when you next log on to your Ele you will get a free unid dye, and when you next log on to your Mes you will get another.

The wording allows both interpretations, and I don’t trust the video enough to confidently take it as confirmation of your position.

So I’ll wait for a confirmation from the Devs, or, more likely given their communication history, patch day to say I know for sure.

I got it from this:

If you already have the same dyes unlocked on multiple characters, when you log in on additional characters, you will receive one unidentified dye for each duplicate dye already unlocked on your account.

Seemed straight forward to me, but to each their own. Launch a question on the board, then see if they field it during the livestream on Friday, if someone doesn’t clarify on it prior.

mtpelion.4562

i have 250 unident dyes (all loot) at my bank … waiting for a precursor, so buying is not “my” problem …

but when the recipe is changed, i can do other things with the 250 unident dyes …
it would be nice to know that early

right, there will be many unident dyes at the days after the patch … but in the past most colors came in the game by loot, this source will no longer exist …
many players (and future players) will now try to unlock all colors at their account without spending money/gold at the gemstore or buy the expensive colors directly …

so it’s only a matter of time until the manufacture of Bifrost is more expensive than other legendarys

I’d say that dye will level out on par with Silver Doubloons.

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

I’d say that dye will level out on par with Silver Doubloons.

Not so long as people can acquire them with laurels.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: Volmarg.4310

Volmarg.4310

What about ppl like me who were farming all this time since head start, for the rare dyes?
Are You kidding us?
Do You even care?
It was hard for me to farm gold for 7 ABYSS Dye?
You gonna pay us for that or something, cuz from now on ppl gonna just buy one and BOOM, they got it account wide.

Posted by: Chrono.6928

Chrono.6928

Would this be considered an exploit to cash in on this unidye bubble?

It would be considered a smart investment… lol its perfectly safe and legal, but seeing how people have got in trouble for obvious smart investments before I don’t blame you for being concerned.

Just made a quick 40g today with just a few laurels saved up

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

The bad news here is dyes will no longer be available in the game as mob drops. This means if you think getting dyes is hard now, it will be nearly impossible after the update. The prices on dyes will skyrocket, likely by 1000% or more, so you might want to do any dye shopping now before the they become as rare as legendaries on the TP.

Posted by: Jareth.4813

Jareth.4813

Considering that you only have a limited amount of laurels available I personally don’t see this as an exploit.

Probably biased, though, as I just made 200g from laurels I wasn’t using. :p

Posted by: kitsuneshoujo.5734

kitsuneshoujo.5734

What about ppl like me who were farming all this time since head start, for the rare dyes?
Are You kidding us?
Do You even care?
You gonna pay us for that or something, cuz from now on ppl gonna just buy one and BOOM, they got it account wide.

hahaha… sucks to be you. Assuming this isn’t sarcasm-laden.

Dyes used to be account bound, then for some reason (money grubbing I suppose) they made them character bound.

Gibson.4036

I got it from this:

If you already have the same dyes unlocked on multiple characters, when you log in on additional characters, you will receive one unidentified dye for each duplicate dye already unlocked on your account.

Seemed straight forward to me, but to each their own. Launch a question on the board, then see if they field it during the livestream on Friday, if someone doesn’t clarify on it prior.

Yeah, I’m leaning toward your interpretation at this point. Otherwise it should read “when you long in on each character” instead of “additional”, but careful wording isn’t necessarily ArenaNet’s strong suit, so I try not to set my expectations unless they make something painfully clear.

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

The rush will have started already. Ideally… buy last week.

The rush was mainly on sub-30 silver dyes. More expensive/rare dyes haven’t really budged at all. Blue Ice dye is still about 35 silver, Midnight Ice is still at about 20 gold. Unfortunately for anyone who was not already in-game this morning when the blog went up, there are no dyes available anymore for less than 20-23 silver now. Since the supply was all bought up expect them to slowly trickle back in as the high volume buyers let the supply creep back out to keep it at the 20-25 silver range.

However, seeing as we still have a few weeks before the change happens where unidentified dyes will still be dropping in the world, after this sudden run on cheap dyes is past:

• How many will continue to identify unidentified dyes that they find?
  • How many of those identified dyes that are not ‘eaten’ will be put onto the TP?
  • Will the people who bought out all the dyes buy up anything new that gets listed to keep the price around 20-25 silver?
  • Will the supply of dyes getting placed onto the TP not really be as much as normal?
  • Will the supply skyrocket again to make dyes as cheap as they once were when the post-patch supply of unidentified dyes from duplicate colors get identified and put onto the TP?
| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

Posted by: Reanne.5462

Reanne.5462

Just another way for them to push the Gem Store. Dyes don’t drop any more. To me that means – Amazing New Dye Packs in the Gem Store! Unlock all your favorite colors, only $19.99, call now and you’ll receive this special offer, a free tennis bracelet. Don’t wait, supplies are limited.

They just removed the last drop that I got slightly, if only briefly, excited about when I saw it drop. You want loot?, your just gonna have to buy it from us.

mtpelion.4562

Considering that you only have a limited amount of laurels available I personally don’t see this as an exploit.

I’m sitting on what was over 400g worth of Laurels. Down to 276g worth now as the price of dye falls. Hopefully it will stay high in time for me to get home from work.

Posted by: Typh.8027

Typh.8027

I found it hilarious that Anet says the demand for Dyes will decrease, so they removed the drops for Unidentified dyes.

I’ve seen quite the opposite. The Dyes on the TP have skyrocketed in price and the demand for them has increased.

I have a question now:

Why will you remove the Unidentified Dye drops off of Mobs? Will we be stuck having to pay greedy prices just for a chance now?

This was a bad move. Everything else was good, but removing the drops? Bad Bad Move.

Posted by: Jareth.4813

Jareth.4813

I’m sitting on what was over 400g worth of Laurels. Down to 276g worth now as the price of dye falls. Hopefully it will stay high in time for me to get home from work.

Currently you can sell 100 dyes within seconds of posting. Market is on fire but yeah, it’s not going to last.

Hope you have a fast car and the roads are empty. :p

Seras.5702

Wait, are dye prices going back down already? I thought they were skyrocketing….

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

I’m guessing they will remove this option for laurels after the update.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

I wonder how high the Gift of Colour will now spike.
Also, i feel sorry for anyone that will start playing after the April 15 patch. Getting up to some decent selection of dyes is going to be very costly.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Antonio Cappello.1806

Antonio Cappello.1806

Of course demand has increased; they announced they were removing dye drops. I believe the demand for dyes would, in fact, decrease if they didn’t make that move. As it is, you’re comparing two entirely different situations.

The post also didn’t imply that they were removing dyes from other sources like laurel vendors, so I don’t think it’s going to be so bad.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I got it from this:

Yeah it seems pretty self-explanatory to me. If you have a dye on one character you will now be able to use it on all of them. If you have it on more than one you will be able to use it on all of them and will get an unidentified dye for each duplicate.

For example I have Abyss on my main, and no other characters. After this patch I will be able to use it on all my characters.

I also have Afternoon dye on 2 characters. After the patch I will have it on all my characters, and will get 1 unidentified dye in return for the duplicate.

I don’t really understand how anyone is reading it any other way. Especially that all our dyes will turn into unidentified dyes and we’ll have to re-buy the colours we want. That would be an incredibly bad idea.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: kamix.4713

kamix.4713

Erm – Since Im a newly level 80 I want to know how to make 40g with couple of Laurels

Please enlight me

Posted by: Typh.8027

Typh.8027

If it remains on the Laurel Vendors I could possibly let this pass. Since it’ll be the cheapest way. I suspect the Unidentified dyes will only increase from here out in price until much later in the year.

mtpelion.4562

Erm – Since Im a newly level 80 I want to know how to make 40g with couple of Laurels

Please enlight me

Unidentified Dyes have spiked in price on the Trading Post due to speculation.
You can trade 5 laurels in for 10 Unidentified Dyes at the Laurel Merchant (found in each city). You can then sell those 10 Unidentified Dyes to other players on the Trading Post for a lot of coin (around 70 silver each, as of the time of this post, which translates into 1gold40silver per laurel).

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

Please enlight me

Buy unidentified dye with laurels, then sell the unidentified dye on TP.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

Posted by: Antonio Cappello.1806

Antonio Cappello.1806

Given that they aren’t changing anything else about unidentified dyes (still tradeable, etc.), I imagine they will remain on the laurel vendor. The post mentioned that drops were stopping, which (to me at least) implies that otherwise the status quo will remain.

I imagine you’re right, at least for the time being. It will be interesting to see what happens to the value of the dyes after the patch starts to settle. I wouldn’t be surprised to see speculators hoarding unidentified dyes to try to make a profit come patch time, which could artificially lower prices for a time. We’ll see I suppose.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Just another way for them to push the Gem Store. Dyes don’t drop any more. To me that means – Amazing New Dye Packs in the Gem Store! Unlock all your favorite colors, only $19.99, call now and you’ll receive this special offer, a free tennis bracelet. Don’t wait, supplies are limited.

They just removed the last drop that I got slightly, if only briefly, excited about when I saw it drop. You want loot?, your just gonna have to buy it from us.

Dyes may still ‘drop’ from node harvests, that wasn’t clarified one way or the other.
We’ll still be able to craft dye.
They didn’t mention removing the purchase of dye for laurels.
The stated it would still be tradeable and mystic forgeable
And of course still available via the gem shop, just like it is now.

I don’t agree with completely removing dye as a drop, but that’s the option they went with. However, they also didn’t lock it completely behind the gem shop either.

Posted by: Hobbs.9260

Hobbs.9260

where is it that I can trade my laurels in for dye?

80 ele Deaths Misstress [DEAD] – Blackgate NA East Coast

Posted by: Lévis.5489

Lévis.5489

Someone post this earlier. Seems like people are getting ready. RIP last bit of economy.

Attachments:

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Ya, might wanna finish reading before you make assumptions

Nonsense! Every, and I mean EVERY, release/patch ANet puts out MUST have a negative that is pushing “everyone” to the brink! And it MUST be posted to the forums with righteous anger! -_-

Now now I too get frustrated sometimes by peoples uncalled for anger, but does it really call for sarcasm? Why yes it does!

I see a few problems with this.

People have spent a lot of gold and real money getting expensive dyes (specifically the limited time ones) for multiple characters because anet always said account bound dyes was never going to happen.

And in return…we’ll be getting regular old unidentified dyes for repeats? That seems completely fair. Heavy sarcasm intended.

Well yeah that was the issue from the start. Hopefully ANet crunched the numbers and hopefully not too many people got impacted. However overall this is a nice addition I believe.

Nothing like cherry picking an article to find something to complain about!

Welcome to the official forums.

Are You kidding us?
Do You even care?

Sometimes the few must sacrifice for the good of the many.

mtpelion.4562

Go to a city.
Find the guy with the green laurels over his head on the map (the roman branch-looking thing).

The picture of the icon is here:
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Laurel

Belzebu.3912

… really?

In the laurel vendor you can use laurels, you can see them in the map where there is a laurel icon …

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

I’m pretty excited for the new wardrobe and account wide dye. But i’m worry about the number of unidentified dye available on the market, especially in the long term.

Just to be clear, i’m not talking about the Dye and color themselve. Even if they nerf the drops of dye from loots, they are still a lot of ways to get dye.

No i’m talking about ‘’Unidentified Dye’’ specifically. You can get dye from several ways : crafting, gem story, etc. But these don’t give you unidentified dyes, they give you dye pack or unidentified orange dye, etc.

The only way to get simple Unidentified Dye right now are from loots, harvesting and laurel. Hope they think about the Gift of Color when they will nerf how we get dye. Its one think to balance the drop since they will be account bound, but right the price for a gift of color skyrocket.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

Dyes will not cost any charges. Applying dyes will be free.

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

Changing dyes won’t cost anything. The charges are for changing armor appearances, they both happen to use the same interface screen that has the charges area in the top corner.

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

Belzebu.3912

If you look at the image in the article, the dye change cost 0 transmutations.

Posted by: Hobbs.9260

Hobbs.9260

sorry, I have only spent laurels once and that was in LA before it was destroyed, since then I didnt know where else I could.

80 ele Deaths Misstress [DEAD] – Blackgate NA East Coast

Posted by: Yalora Istairiea.6287

Yalora Istairiea.6287

o.O

• Purchased unique skins.
  • Decided didn’t like.
  • Overwrote the skins.
  • Concern over having to re-buy said skins that were not liked in the first place

Why would one consider re-buying skins that they already knows they don’t like?