Dye Changes Feedback/Questions

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Captain Seyo.4285

Captain Seyo.4285

So, with unidentified dyes not dropping, is the gift of color for Bifrost getting changed or is that legendary going to be very difficult to get.

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

Mazreal Blacknight. Maybe you did do it because of today. But a lot of people did. At 10am East time (so about 3 hours ago) the price of most low prices dyes went from 2 silver up to 39 silver (right now its at 20-25 silver for most of them).

I won’t explain wtf is going on with that, its actually pretty simple. But i prefer not to explain just in case Anet accuse me of advertising an exploit. Don’t think it is an exploit, because if they didn’t saw that one coming, then there is some pretty stupid people working for Anet. Anyway, right now i suppose there is some profit that can be made, but the first people that did it could expect about 1150%+ profit (and ya i mean 1150%)

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Posted by: hunnybun.1380

hunnybun.1380

So… I get 1 unid dye per duplicate? =.=

Posted by: Sorin.4310

Sorin.4310

You also get 1 unid for the many dyes that (were) 1s or less. Seems to balance for the most part.

Posted by: Izithel.6853

Izithel.6853

Yup, you do, end of the world, I know.

Imagine how those who got multiple of the same legendary now feel.

Posted by: RedStar.4218

RedStar.4218

If I didn’t have to go in class as soon as that blog post came out, I would have rushed in to buy dyes.

Then I figured out, that across my 8 characters, I had so many common dyes on each of them, it didn’t bother me that much. And I thought that in the end, Anet might have a bad surprise coming our way.

Posted by: callidus.7085

callidus.7085

I’m telling you.. those unidentified dyes will be account bound. It’s insane otherwise.

Slow down and smell the pixels.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

They feel just fine, I figure, since a legendary skin doesn’t equal legendary stats.

But you with multiple expensive dyes are screwed unless you just have so many dups overall that it could possibly balance, but most people won’t be in this particular boat.

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

I’m in the opposite side, I have a lot of cheap dyes in my bank from a long time and now I’ll be able to sell/use them for profit

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

Just to close this thing once for all.

Go check the video at 1:50 you will see the dev switching around dyes and only dyes. Once finish you can either click reset or apply and the cost is 0 transmutation charge.
You seem him change dyes so the question about the screenshot don’t apply here.

Finally answer : Changing dye don’t cost ANY charge.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Posted by: Phoebe Ascension.8437

Phoebe Ascension.8437

So what happens to existing dye’s? Useless (you start from scratch) or they become account bound anyway? To be honest the vid/blog post are a big unclear. And knowing Anet, i only belief the best when i have confirmation.

Video ‘all dye’s on all chars can now be used account wide’ (1:41 sec in movie). However this doenst state if this is the truth past the patch, or before it already.

And the blog quote:

“When you unlock a dye after the feature pack is released, all characters on your account will have unlimited access to that color.”

The word in this blog post that scares me is AFTER.

To get this clear, what do we do with unidentified dye’s, and identified ones? Like I have a rare dye now. USE IT. Or keep it, (if your goal is to prevent a waste, and want it account wide, no matter what).

Legendary weapons can be hidden now!
No excuse anymore for not giving ‘hide mounts’-option
No thanks to unidentified weapons.

Posted by: hunnybun.1380

hunnybun.1380

You also get 1 unid for the many dyes that (were) 1s or less. Seems to balance for the most part.

I’ve never even bought other dyes lol

Yup, you do, end of the world, I know.

Imagine how those who got multiple of the same legendary now feel.

I don’t think theres many people with duplicate legendaries.. maybe <10% of the people with legendaries (probably just incinerator)? Well at least theyll be ok if anet releases a new weapon tier since legendaries will be scaled to be the best..

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Hint: try reading the entire article instead of cherry picking quotes.

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

Another poster who read the sentence with “after” in it but not the sentence after it. (No pun intended.)

«If you already have the same dyes unlocked on multiple characters, when you log in on additional characters, you will receive one unidentified dye for each duplicate dye already unlocked on your account.»

20 level 80s and counting.

Posted by: Mireles Lore.5942

Mireles Lore.5942

Even if they are not account bound….

I still don’t understand why everyone is making a mad dash to buy dyes…. do people not realize everyone and their mom will be doing the exact same thing they are… trying to create un-id dyes then sell them… Price is going to drop like a rock patch day when everyone goes to cash in on dyes.

Plus, going from character to account bound will decrease demand from dyes because people would need less of them.

So we go a increase in supply and a decrease in demand coming and people buy? #insanitywolf

Director – Xunlai Heroic Service Agents [XHSA] | Yak’s Bend
http://xunlaiheroes.wix.com/xhsa

(edited by Mireles Lore.5942)

Phoebe Ascension.8437

I read it 3 times now still can’t find an conclusive sentences that both uses the words ‘account bound’ with ‘pre-patch’. So no i’m not sure yet still.

Posted by: piano man.1672

piano man.1672

I posted about this here: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Question-about-Dyes/first#post3809552

In the video it states all currently unlocked dyes will be shared among all of your characters.

Kharros 80 Warr | Dead on Revival 80 Necro | Yoxx 80 Guard | Khoton 80 Thief | Thera Majere 80 Ele

Belzebu.3912

I still don’t understand why everyone is making a mad dash to buy dyes…. do people not realize everyone and their mom will be doing the exact same thing they are… trying to create un-id dyes then sell them… Price is going to drop like a rock patch day when everyone goes to cash in on dyes.

And the smart ones will sell them after a few months when the prices get much higher than it was yesterday.

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

I read it 3 times now still can’t find an conclusive sentences that both uses the words ‘account bound’ with ‘pre-patch’. So no i’m not sure yet still.

«One of the biggest changes we’re making is that dyes will no longer be unlocked per character but per account instead.»

Your dye is unlocked per character at the moment – your dye will become unlocked for the account on April 15.

20 level 80s and counting.

Phoebe Ascension.8437

“If you already have the same dyes unlocked on multiple characters, when you log in on additional characters, you will receive one unidentified dye for each duplicate dye already unlocked on your account.”

I suppose this confirms it. However it doenst state it specificly. You have to read between the lines ‘BECAUSE WE REFUND YOU A DYE, it means the original is account bound, otherwise, why would be refund?’ I’m pretty certain it’s true now.

However, I made mistakes believing stuff like this in the past, and then got very mad when it concluded in another way. Basically this time, I leave no room for error. I have tons of dye’s, and I must know what to do correctly with them.

Posted by: Kajin.5301

Kajin.5301

Hint: try reading the entire article instead of cherry picking quotes.

not ambiguous about what Phoebe asked. I’m in same boat as him.
I watched the video on wardrobe page and at the 1:41 mark, you get a hint that the dyes we had bound to our char are now available account wide.

Would be nice to have a clarification.

Some players think they need to buy the dyes they had already on a character AGAIN and use them AFTER April 15 so all characters they got can have access to it.

I myself have Glacial Dye on Skysap, and Algae on Qaju, I want to know if they will be available to all my characters or if I have to buy them again and use after April 15.

They mention that players that have the same dye on multiple characters already will get an unidentified dye per replica as a form of compensation.

Skysap & Qaju & Juqa -VILE- Desolation

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

I’m willing to bet those unidentified dyes will be account bound like the pvp ones… and a lot of people were expecting them not to be and to resell as unidentified dyes.. once the patch comes and all of those unidentified dyes they receive are account bound, they’ll just open them.. to receive a bunch of common dyes they already have and so in jumping on this “opportunity” they actually just threw away a lot of gold. If I were an investing man.. I’d resell now while other people are unaware of this possibility.. too late!

Yes, please let this be the case.

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Posted by: eleshazar.6902

eleshazar.6902

Yeah there is no doubt they will be made account bound. The only way you can make money off of this is if you were one of the first to buy, and you instantly flip them while all of the sheep are currently buying them up for insane prices not realizing that instead of making profit, they have just fed the real trade post flippers.

It almost makes me feel bad for them :-/

All professions level 80| Champion Paragon, Phantom, Genius
Phoenix Ascendant [ASH] | Rank 80

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

The one case against making unid dyes being account bound is the Gift of Color.

Mireles Lore.5942

And the smart ones will sell them after a few months when the prices get much higher than it was yesterday.

Why would it get “much higher”?

We got an increase in supply and a decrease in demand April 15th… economics say that the price will be lower than what it was.

(edited by Mireles Lore.5942)

Posted by: RedStar.4218

RedStar.4218

Then Skysap and Qaju will both have access to Glacial and Algae dye.

If Qaju and Skysap also had Black dye, then when you log in after April 15, all your account will have Black dye + you’ll get an unidentified dye.

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

Congratulation to those first people downloaded the game update and bought all dyes by old price! xD

Thanks. I even sold them all as well already, to those who were a little late to the party.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

There is no need for a clarification, the article clearly states that dyes currently unlocked on your character will become unlocked for your account on patch day. Any overlapping dyes will be converted at a 1:1 ratio into unidentified dyes.

It is stated quite clearly in the article, and even more clearly in the video.

You glacial dye and Algae dye will both be available to ALL your characters after the patch. If they aren’t I will personally buy you one of each.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

even if they were account bound,im still getting several stacks of unid dyes-at least some of them have to be celestial/abyss.
In conclusion $$$$$$$$$$$

Hate to break it to ya, but the odds are even with multiple stacks none of them are going to be those 2. lol

Posted by: juno.1840

juno.1840

HA — nice job ANet — every single “cheap” dye on the TP has shot up 10x in price.

I’m at a loss of words… “incompetent” is the first that pops to mind though.

What would you have them do?
Silence? To be accused yet again of poor communication?

Just hope the compensation ones are account bound.

The problem is the communication is mixed and possibly incomplete. Your hope on the account bound dyes is a good example. They didn’t mention it in the blog so you’d think it’s not the case.

If they are going to release information that impacts the market (and this one is a great example), then the information should be complete as possible. Otherwise don’t release the information at all.

In the dye blog, ANet could just as easily omitted details on removing the dye drops and providing duplicates as new unid dyes. That information could have been summed up with “the mechanics will be fully described in the release notes”.

As I said, it’s borderline incompetent — it’s not like they haven’t been doing MMO stuff for at least a year…

Part of me thinks that someone in ANet was thinking “hey, wanna see something funny? Watch this…”

Belzebu.3912

We got an increase in supply and a decrease in demand… economics say that the price will be lower than what it was.

Because the production will be really low and the supply won’t hold the demand for long.
At start the price will drop a lot, maintain for a while and then start to rise again.

A time ago there was a bug in the game where the dye drop was higher than it should be, in a few days w/o no one knowing that bug the price dropped like a rock, then it was fixed and the drop went down to normal making the price rise back in a couple days, imagine when the drop just stop to exist.

Also, rare dyes will get its prices insanely high.

Posted by: Bossy Bessy.3829

Bossy Bessy.3829

I’m telling you.. those unidentified dyes will be account bound. It’s insane otherwise.

this ^^^^

no way they will not be account bound. i bet all of Mireles Lore’s gold on it.

Goodbye Mr Anderson – Ranger | Ima Seamstress – Guardian
The Society [SCTY] on YB

Phoebe Ascension.8437

My fear for wrong information is because Anet doesn’t have a track record of being always correct, and they rarely correct mistakes. (like removal of npc’s, without warning you, or when forum is down and nobody can read it). Tired of these mistakes. And until I get a full confirmation, all my dye’s are sitting unopened in my bank.

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

In an hour on the forums I’ve seen 75s per unid dye, to 65s, and now 55s. It seems like it’s steadily dropping in price as more and more people flock to the laurel vendors and binge. With so many people posting 100+ unid dyes at a time to the TP it’s gonna get flooded fast. And hopefully that means the prices of ID’d dyes will drop a bit too.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Posted by: Cenex.4089

Cenex.4089

To get this clear, what do we do with unidentified dye’s, and identified ones? Like I have a rare dye now. USE IT. Or keep it, (if your goal is to prevent a waste, and want it account wide, no matter what).

Identify =/= unlock.

Assuming by unlock they mean when you click the actual dye, it becomes account bound. But when you IDENTIFY a dye, it still sits in your inventory until you unlock it. At least that’s what I assume.

Posted by: Car.3805

Car.3805

this ^^^^

no way they will not be account bound. i bet all of Mireles Lore’s gold on it.

Considering unid dyes will no longer be dropping after the patch, except for crafting, forge, pvp rewards, I’m thinking they won’t be account bound.

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

You can still buy them with Laurels….I doubt they’ll change that and as such you’ll still be able to make the gift of color.

Posted by: Beorn Saxon.4762

Beorn Saxon.4762

I’m confused too, it’s not clear.

It says duplicate dyes will get you a refunded unidentified.

It does not state that all dyes you currently have will become account bound.

There is a difference and we can’t assume anything difffernt. Confirmation would be nice.

Tarnished Coast
Critical Impact [Crit]

Posted by: Vexander.9850

Vexander.9850

WTB Clarification. I just bought an Abyss Dye today. Never bought one before. I’ve got 4 characters with Celestial (Actually, I -just- Bought a Celestial yesterday for a character >.<). I’ve got one who has Midnight Ice and Midnight Fire. I’m dying to learn just what’s up with Dyes and Account Bound.

I just want to make sure is all.

Posted by: Equilibriator.8741

Equilibriator.8741

Im not gonna lie, i too checked the marketplace for cheap dyes to buy but to no avail they were already all gone.

What i dont understand is, why are we being refunded unidentified dyes instead of the specific dye we have doubles of. This idea seems to literally be giving thousands of gold to a lucky few, whilst punishing countless others who have bought things like 2 celestial dyes and 3 abyss dyes to put across their characters.

Is there any second thoughts being put into this wholly unjustifiable action (which tbh is very dodgy given how gold sellers n stuff could massivley have benefitted from this)

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

I’m hoping that the unidentified dyes that are being refunded will be account bound until opened at least. Still a lot of profit there, but doubt it will be as much.

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

I had (and still have) a lot of the mats for crafting unid-dyes. Those prices are running nicely too and I’ve sold some stuff off. I’m still going to hold out for ascended cooking and exotic level crafted dyes.

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

Mireles Lore.5942

We got an increase in supply and a decrease in demand… economics say that the price will be lower than what it was.

Because the production will be really low and the supply won’t hold the demand for long.
At start the price will drop a lot, maintain for a while and then start to rise again.

A time ago there was a bug in the game where the dye drop was higher than it should be, in a few days w/o no one knowing that bug the price dropped like a rock, then it was fixed and the drop went down to normal making the price rise back in a couple days, imagine when the drop just stop to exist.

Also, rare dyes will get its prices insanely high.

Ah I see, i did not read that they will not be loot-able you are right, production will take a hit and they will see a increase in price over the long term. Of course depending on how they handle the “Mystic Forge and select in-game rewards” means of distributing them.

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

You can still buy them with Laurels….I doubt they’ll change that and as such you’ll still be able to make the gift of color.

Yeah but is that exactly fair?

All legendaries have these gift components that are purchasable, so it would be unfair.

Well, except the Moot and it’s 5 Boxes of Fun, but nobody cares about the Moot!

Posted by: Zach.3264

Zach.3264

Yes, it’s probably been said a hundred times (i’d like to hope so). But my god.. this update is beyond confusing.

Why on earth are you awarding the lucky few who got online first, with thousands upon thousands of gold through dyes, opposed to refunding the people who are actually going to be hurt by it?

I’ve personally spent over 200g on Dyes across my 5 80s. In return I’m getting a measly 1g in return (probably not even). Yet, there’s most likely people out there who have spent next to nothing on dyes, but get to make a fortune off the update?

The correct way to work the dyes is so obvious that I cannot understand why a full staff team cannot think of it.
Surely the best choice would be to refund the players the duplicate dyes. Not Unidentified dyes, but the actual dyes that are duplicates. That way we would only receive back what we paid for (prices might be different, but that’s not a huge issue).
This way it can’t be abused to make money out of it.

I have absolutely no idea why you thought giving a 20 silver Unidentified Dye in return for Dyes that could be purchased for less than 1 silver each was a good idea. I really don’t.

I hope to god this is an April fools, because it’s a complete joke.

Belzebu.3912

Of course depending on how they handle the “Mystic Forge and select in-game rewards” means of distributing them.

True, but I think that will only change the how long the price will maintain, the rise of the price in the future is a sure thing, unless a new variable appears.

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

You are looking at this the wrong way.

If you have an Abyss dye on 2 of your 5 characters you are not losing 1 Abyss dye, you are gaining 3 free Abyss dyes and 1 Unidentified Dye.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

Its pretty obvious they’re going to unlock every dye you have on every character for use once the system goes live.

If they weren’t, then why would they even mention duplicate dyes specifically? If you lose access to all dyes you currently have, then duplicates wouldn’t even matter. You’d lose everything, duplicate or not. 3 characters have Black dye? Well they’re all going to lose it, so it wouldn’t matter.

They’re giving free unidentified dyes for dupes because a duplicate dye won’t unlock anything when all the colors you have are unlocked account-wide. In the same example as above where you have 3 characters with Black dye, one dye would unlock the color for your account and the other 2 would do nothing, so they give you unidentified dyes as compensation for that.

Posted by: Vexander.9850

Vexander.9850

Honestly? I’m not bothered by it. I’ve got 5 characters with Celestial. Or had 5, deleted one of them a long time ago. Anyways, I’m just going to identify the dyes I get for having duplicates, and hope its a dye I don’t already have. This morning I was going to buy a bunch of the nice cheap dyes that usually got for 20copper, only to find them at 25-30 silver.

I’ll be glad to get some unidentified dyes for my duplicates now.

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

I’m confused too, it’s not clear.

It says duplicate dyes will get you a refunded unidentified.

It does not state that all dyes you currently have will become account bound.

There is a difference and we can’t assume anything difffernt. Confirmation would be nice.

In order for you to have duplicates, they have to first account bind all of your dye. It isn’t explicitly stated, but that’s the only way the sentence makes any sense.

Server: Devona’s Rest