Expansion Thread [merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: McSlappy.1372

McSlappy.1372

Only reason it’s not seen is because mega servers make it look like a lot more people then it really is.

And Wow coppied that system too :P
Ashran (the equivillent of WvW , but only a straight line push) its not based on server vs server but it has the Megaserver mechanic like Eotm where it pulls players from allover servers .

The Russians server , where for straight 8 years played on their own league , now they are merged with theEu servers :P

(My hate for the ppl form MMO Champion and PvE hardcores players , is shown vividly ? :P)

No lol. WoW had dynamic servers long long before ANet made their Megaservers. They were putting them through beta before Pandaria came out. Also WvW is simply instancing. Blizz and most other games had that what 10ish years ago? Not as big but still concept is the same.

Posted by: Stormcrow.7513

Stormcrow.7513

Q: What if expansion doesnt come in 2015?

A: #Uninstall

i7 3770k oc 4.5 H100i(push/pull) 8gb Corsair Dominator Asus P877V-LK
intel 335 180gb/intel 320 160gb WD 3TB Gigabyte GTX G1 970 XFX XXX750W HAF 932

Posted by: Killthehealersffs.8940

Killthehealersffs.8940

Only reason it’s not seen is because mega servers make it look like a lot more people then it really is.

And Wow coppied that system too :P
Ashran (the equivillent of WvW , but only a straight line push) its not based on server vs server but it has the Megaserver mechanic like Eotm where it pulls players from allover servers .

The Russians server , where for straight 8 years played on their own league , now they are merged with theEu servers :P

(My hate for the ppl form MMO Champion and PvE hardcores players , is shown vividly ? :P)

No lol. WoW had dynamic servers long long before ANet made their Megaservers. They were putting them through beta before Pandaria came out. Also WvW is simply instancing. Blizz and most other games had that what 10ish years ago? Not as big but still concept is the same.

When you mean dynamic istances , you mean solo-istances (phasing) , and they had them from the LIck king expansion . But they tried to reduce them , cause it was like playing a single -person game , till you coplete the 9-12 chainquests and see the other players that have completed them too .

Edit: WoW lauched their megaserver 4-5 months after the expansion released at 5.1 Jenouary – Febrouary of 2013 i think . While GW2 from the beat April-March 2012 had that option (right click on your friend portait to teleport to his istance (and it was buggy back then))

WvWvW is based on server vs server = 100vs100 or 1000vs1000 (based on the server population
Eotm pulls players from various servers for 100vs100
Ashran its the same with Eotm , (but you have to wait 1 hours (where the kitten is the allainces !!!!))

I will renew my sub in 2-3 month in WoW , but i hate ppl that truly hate other games and come there to be a smart@@ , or can harm any game with their fraud personality …

(edited by Killthehealersffs.8940)

Posted by: Rozbuska.5263

Rozbuska.5263

Guys for a moment stop thinking as players who think devs abbandon them and look on this from economic side:
- They spend 5+ years and milions of dollars to develop this game, why should they abandon chick what laying golden eggs?
- Compare to other mmos gw2 doing extremly well numbers of players almost not drop and since launch there was no server merging that pretty unique. Due to NCSoft report they earn half a bilion on 4 months and they are only studio what wasnt forced to fired some employee.
- They are company and companies want create money dou you think they have 300+ employees on paycheck what do nothing? Dont be fools guys.

They are working on something trust me:-)

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

Posted by: hydeaut.1758

hydeaut.1758

- They are company and companies want create money dou you think they have 300+ employees on paycheck what do nothing? Dont be fools guys.

Dry top and SW with all those new mobs, events, new mechanics, new receipts, new stats and a ton of other new stuff are by far the biggest content-addition since release.

These 2 maps were certainly not built by a 20-person LS-team within a few months (who probably did nothing else but the instanced and cutscene parts). Probably these 2 maps were at least an important part of the big projects they talked about.

China release, all those more or less lucky changes we received this year (feature patches, trait revamp, wallet, NPE, daily-revamp, updated festivals, . . .) certainly took a lot of time on top of that.

Another hint are dungeons: an expansion certainly would bring new dungeons, still we heard in summer, they are not working on some or have plans to do that.

So looking into my crystal ball I still don´t see a full expansion 2015 – though I would be happy about that (well, not knowing Anet´s design-decisions for one, most probably . . .).

So I hope to be able to play Camelot Unchained Beta in summer, but except that I also don´t see much alternative MMO´s for me (maybe Black Desert, may turn out like Archeage though)

(edited by hydeaut.1758)

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Guild wars 1 (prophesies) Release date April 28, 2005.
Guild wars (factions) Release date April 28, 2006
Guild wars (night fall) Release date October 27, 2006
Guild wars (Eye of the North) Release date August 31, 2007

Guild wars 2 release date August 28, 2012
To days date December 23, 2014

So much time lost they need something and they need it bad. We used to get whole continents, in one year, now we get one map. Can anyone here honestly say they are are happy with the games currents state of not going anywhere. An expansion pays for itself, people will buy it trust me….. Look at WoW don’t see them losing players anytime soon an they are pay to play. The only thing holding the game up right now or we say paying the programmers is shinny objects in the black lion trading post and the wallet warriors who buy them.

But if there is no expansion next year? Nothing will really change. Of course LS will continue to grow and evolve, but people will still come on here and say that an expansion NEEDS to happen or the game will crash and burn. They will still talk about how GW1 had several expansion out by this time, and Anet needs to get on the ball already. Others will still claim that other MMOs follow the expansion model and are doing great, and if Anet wants to be competetive in the genre an expansion needs to be happen, etc. etc. etc.

Nailed it….

Because Anet does need to “get on the ball already”. Next time try to predict someone will say that the sky is blue. I’m sure, that you will then be able to use this as a proof that it is not.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: nGumball.1283

nGumball.1283

I already find myself logging in, checking the BLTP, and then sort of shuffling my inventory until I log off. If the market hasn’t moved, my guild isn’t hosting an event, or there’s nothing going on in WvW, I’ve got nothing to do.

Another year of that? I’m going to be leaving. I suspect it will be like last year, where they release some piddly crap and a hyped up balance and ‘feature’ patch that I come back to check out. Will next year’s ‘feature pack’ have enough to make me check it out again after this year’s Massive Shrug? That’s the question. The path of least resistance is what’s holding me here for now.

My forum posting has gone up like 500% in the last two weeks because I’m so kitten bored in-game.

Exactly the problem. People are used to a hype-release cycle for casuals and gear grinds for hardcore. GW2 is deliberately a different type of game. We’ve gotten quite a bit – not an expansion’s worth, but close – but since we haven’t had the expansion hype people aren’t feeling as excited about it.

No, that’s not because of their lack of PR or hypemachine, it’s because that is recycled. Silverwastes isn’t new, it is WvW ideas with AI mobs sprinkled around. As a player that actually played the whole game instead of sticking to a niche, I’m not excited about that because it isn’t exciting, not because Neoseeker didn’t write an article about it. A couple of new enemy models, 2 hours worth of talking heads, and a constantly reworked daily system isn’t ‘close to’ an expansion.

You’re right, GW2 IS a different type of game – one that releases content more slowly than some F2P competitors, despite the same focus on microtransactions. I’m bored because I’m bored, not because they didn’t add grind. They are very good at adding grind (ascended, mawdrey, legendaries), but if I finally do grind out that legendary, it will be the same legendary I saw some dude wearing in 2013. And that will be BORING.

Ok, we will assume that GW2 isn’t even good enough to comepte vs other F2P titles. Now ask yourself, why in the world would Anet bother do anything if they get more profit than almost every single western MMO title? the game has a really healthy population compared to most other MMOs. They are gaining millions of dollars every year. And the industry has almost no compitition. All the games that have been released during the last years, have been flops more or less. Final Fantasy is a good title but again it is focused on gear/stat progression and therefore would have quite the different crowd.

It is not only GW2 being not so statisfying. The MMO market in genereal is empty more or less and companies are struggling to keep their titles alive.

you dont know what ur saying.

Yeah he made a paragraph of some whacked out comments. What I heard was a lot of other successful MMOs are doing as well but there’s not really any citations or reference with that. Hell yesterday I was shocked when I had a friend say he was playing Lord of the Rings again. I was like wow didn’t know that game still existed. Yeah he says got a few expansions out even. I know Landmark is doing fairly well as a beta. There’s of course the elephant wow. League and other games out there. Not to mention all the SoE games that are still profitable and played. I’m going to guess that little AN that seems to p off more players each patch has less then most other games. Only reason it’s not seen is because mega servers make it look like a lot more people then it really is.

When you get educated enough to the point of checking what GW2 brings to Ncsoft every quarter and comapre it to what other MMOs make, please comment then.

Until then, you are just a nive player, happy to whine, whithout understanding the basics of how the MMO industry works.

Posted by: caveman.5840

caveman.5840

Dry top and SW with all those new mobs, events, new mechanics, new receipts, new stats and a ton of other new stuff are by far the biggest content-addition since release.

These 2 maps were certainly not built by a 20-person LS-team within a few months (who probably did nothing else but the instanced and cutscene parts). Probably these 2 maps were at least an important part of the big projects they talked about.

China release, all those more or less lucky changes we received this year (feature patches, trait revamp, wallet, NPE, daily-revamp, updated festivals, . . .) certainly took a lot of time on top of that.

Another hint are dungeons: an expansion certainly would bring new dungeons, still we heard in summer, they are not working on some or have plans to do that.

So looking into my crystal ball I still don´t see a full expansion 2015 – though I would be happy about that (well, not knowing Anet´s design-decisions for one, most probably . . .).

So I hope to be able to play Camelot Unchained Beta in summer, but except that I also don´t see much alternative MMO´s for me (maybe Black Desert, may turn out like Archeage though)

i will cry if black desert ends up like arche age lol ….
but they are going for the free to play method :S

Posted by: Conner.5803

Conner.5803

I don’t think an expansion will fix anything to be honest. At least not if it’s just a bunch of LS chapters that has a price on it. What I truly hate about these LS updates is the lack of variety in content (and for the last few chapters the amount of content too). If the LS actually gave us more dungeon (paths)/raids and some huge changes to WvW/PvP it would have been received better. I would love to see the LS being focussed on story and PvE map content for 4 weeks (2 updates), then dungeons and then WvW/PvP, so it doesn’t actually feel like only a handful of people at Anet is doing something. Honestly, the bi-weekly schedule they put up is too short to give any meaningful content. It’s all too rushed. Then there are Feature Patches that are only (most of it badly thought up) reworks of current systems that for most parts are completely unnecessary and a huge waste of resources. Last Feature patches also had huge breaks between the LS and the patches and after, which would have been great for the LS team to work more on their content, but from what we’ve seen it’s more likely they all went cookie baking and rushed the LS content at the last minute.

I won’t leave if theres no expansion is announced in 2015. I will leave/stay away from the game if they don’t bring out any meaningful content in 2015 (with the last LS chapter begin January being the decisive chapter, since apparently it should be amazing seeing as they’ve had seas of time to work on it, seriously doubt it though).

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

I think the game will just fall even more in popularity. The game has only decreased in popularity as time went on and with nothing big being released it will only continue on the same path. I think Anet has taken the lazy route with the living story and the “expansion worth of content” updates, which is the reason GW2 has followed the same pattern as most games and decreased in popularity as time went on.

I think the game will need an expansion or expansion size content to maintain a decent size population in the long run. Of course, there is concern of what they consider to be expansion size. We’ve already run into this problem with Colin’s idea of expansion size.

There are few doubts in my mind that they have been working on an expansion for a long time now. I suspect we will see the release of said expansion before the end of 2015. I would guess they will talk about it around the end of the current living story season.

(edited by Fernling.1729)

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

Guild wars 1 (prophesies) Release date April 28, 2005.
Guild wars (factions) Release date April 28, 2006
Guild wars (night fall) Release date October 27, 2006
Guild wars (Eye of the North) Release date August 31, 2007

Guild wars 2 release date August 28, 2012
To days date December 23, 2014

So much time lost they need something and they need it bad. We used to get whole continents, in one year, now we get one map. Can anyone here honestly say they are are happy with the games currents state of not going anywhere. An expansion pays for itself, people will buy it trust me….. Look at WoW don’t see them losing players anytime soon an they are pay to play. The only thing holding the game up right now or we say paying the programmers is shinny objects in the black lion trading post and the wallet warriors who buy them.

But if there is no expansion next year? Nothing will really change. Of course LS will continue to grow and evolve, but people will still come on here and say that an expansion NEEDS to happen or the game will crash and burn. They will still talk about how GW1 had several expansion out by this time, and Anet needs to get on the ball already. Others will still claim that other MMOs follow the expansion model and are doing great, and if Anet wants to be competetive in the genre an expansion needs to be happen, etc. etc. etc.

Nailed it….

Because Anet does need to “get on the ball already”. Next time try to predict someone will say that the sky is blue. I’m sure, that you will then be able to use this as a proof that it is not.

The only thing I was trying to prove was that the same arguments/points are repeated in every expansion thread ever made. The same with duels and mounts.

However when it comes down to this discussion, it’s really only opinion and speculation. And most of that is cries of the game will die without one. I don’t get why people want an expansion. I can understand the possibility of new zones, races, classes, skills etc. but all those things can be rolled out with the current format (aka LS) as it stands. I for one don’t want to pay another $60 just to have access to a couple more zones that will be dead within a couple of months, to have another character to level up, and more skills that probably will be useless.

With the current format, all those things can be rolled out within a similar time frame as the development of a whole expansion. And for free. So $60 to have all the same stuff rolled out in a steady stream over the next year for free? No thank you.

As far as the revenue generated from expansions? Sure it would be a temporary boost in sales, but in the long run box sales make up a small portion of what they actually make. A majority of their sales is from the gem store. Some people don’t like it, and never buy anything. Thats fine. But I know of several people who have purchased with cash, EVERYTHING that is offered in the gem store. Every outfit, booster, mini, skin, upgrade, etc.

I would also say that while WoW still follows the expansion model, I feel that they locked themselves into it, and can’t get out. There are still many people who will buy it, burn through it, and then put it aside until the next expansion. They can cancel their sub for that duration as well, and pick it back up when they want to play again. Also many of the WoW players that I know, have been playing for YEARS. They still pay and log on, not because the game is that engaging and there is that much stuff to do, but because they have developed real relationships with the people they play with. They are very close friends, and sometimes more. It’s the social aspect that keeps them playing long after they have lost interest in the game. But thats a whole different discussion.

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

McSlappy.1372

I already find myself logging in, checking the BLTP, and then sort of shuffling my inventory until I log off. If the market hasn’t moved, my guild isn’t hosting an event, or there’s nothing going on in WvW, I’ve got nothing to do.

Another year of that? I’m going to be leaving. I suspect it will be like last year, where they release some piddly crap and a hyped up balance and ‘feature’ patch that I come back to check out. Will next year’s ‘feature pack’ have enough to make me check it out again after this year’s Massive Shrug? That’s the question. The path of least resistance is what’s holding me here for now.

My forum posting has gone up like 500% in the last two weeks because I’m so kitten bored in-game.

Exactly the problem. People are used to a hype-release cycle for casuals and gear grinds for hardcore. GW2 is deliberately a different type of game. We’ve gotten quite a bit – not an expansion’s worth, but close – but since we haven’t had the expansion hype people aren’t feeling as excited about it.

No, that’s not because of their lack of PR or hypemachine, it’s because that is recycled. Silverwastes isn’t new, it is WvW ideas with AI mobs sprinkled around. As a player that actually played the whole game instead of sticking to a niche, I’m not excited about that because it isn’t exciting, not because Neoseeker didn’t write an article about it. A couple of new enemy models, 2 hours worth of talking heads, and a constantly reworked daily system isn’t ‘close to’ an expansion.

You’re right, GW2 IS a different type of game – one that releases content more slowly than some F2P competitors, despite the same focus on microtransactions. I’m bored because I’m bored, not because they didn’t add grind. They are very good at adding grind (ascended, mawdrey, legendaries), but if I finally do grind out that legendary, it will be the same legendary I saw some dude wearing in 2013. And that will be BORING.

Ok, we will assume that GW2 isn’t even good enough to comepte vs other F2P titles. Now ask yourself, why in the world would Anet bother do anything if they get more profit than almost every single western MMO title? the game has a really healthy population compared to most other MMOs. They are gaining millions of dollars every year. And the industry has almost no compitition. All the games that have been released during the last years, have been flops more or less. Final Fantasy is a good title but again it is focused on gear/stat progression and therefore would have quite the different crowd.

It is not only GW2 being not so statisfying. The MMO market in genereal is empty more or less and companies are struggling to keep their titles alive.

Yeah he made a paragraph of some whacked out comments. What I heard was a lot of other successful MMOs are doing as well but there’s not really any citations or reference with that. Hell yesterday I was shocked when I had a friend say he was playing Lord of the Rings again. I was like wow didn’t know that game still existed. Yeah he says got a few expansions out even. I know Landmark is doing fairly well as a beta. There’s of course the elephant wow. League and other games out there. Not to mention all the SoE games that are still profitable and played. I’m going to guess that little AN that seems to p off more players each patch has less then most other games. Only reason it’s not seen is because mega servers make it look like a lot more people then it really is.

When you get educated enough to the point of checking what GW2 brings to Ncsoft every quarter and comapre it to what other MMOs make, please comment then.

Until then, you are just a nive player, happy to whine, whithout understanding the basics of how the MMO industry works.

I’m still waiting for some references. You just made more unreferenced statements with nothing to back them up keep trying. But lets look at what GW2 brings to NCsoft shall we?

http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/08/14/wildstar-and-guild-wars-2-boost-ncsoft-profits

“As for sales per game, Lineage is still at the top with 32.2%. Following that is WildStar (15.9%), Guild Wars 2 (12.6%), Blade and Soul (10.8%), Aion (10.4%), and Lineage II (7.7%).”

ROFL with Lineage and WildStar which has been regarded and mostly a failure is beating out GW2………………………….

Here is a later report with more losses albeit it small.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/11/13/ncsofts-third-quarter-report-is-glowing-wildstars-revenues-ar/

That is what GW2 brings to NCsoft.

(edited by McSlappy.1372)

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

What part of “We don’t need an expansion to pay the bills,” are you not getting? And it’s not two years. It’s still one. And the statement was made mid-year to boot.

“What if an expansion doesn’t come in 2015.

2013 → 2015

Two years would pass by the time we get an expansion, minimally.

And on the first part: that was then, this is now. Profit sources changes. Their income came from selling new accounts of GW2, and selling gemstore items. How many new players are we actually seeing? How many gemstore purchases are there? Compare said number of the third year of game’s life (which we’re in the middle of, towards the beginning side) to the first year of the game’s life (which the statement was made near the end of).

Of course, THEN an expansion wasn’t needed to pay bills, because the game wasn’t a year old yet, we didn’t have the fiasco of Scarlet Briar yet which dismayed a lot of players, didn’t have the burnout (both for players and developers) of the continuous Living World that ended up setting a precedence of player demands, and we didn’t have the reversion of the Living World to be closer to the Personal Story.

So, I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt. Let’s say a year and a half. That’s ‘not in the near future’ to you?

Not for a video game. But again, if we get an expansion announcement, that’ll be early 2015. If we get an expansion release, that’ll be mid-2015. Both dates being an “at the earliest” scenario. For a video game that survives, no, that is no longer in the near future.

Are you not are fully aware most expansions, from the start, take a minimum of two years to storyboard, write, create, and polish? We’re not even talking alpha and beta testing to weed out the kinks.

I don’t think it’s two years, but I only have minimal playtest experience, though most expansions come out within a year and a half of the game’s life. I don’t expect an expansion now or even early 2015. It’s clear that if they began working on an expansion, it’d be after the statement; it would have begun its initial stages of “okay, we’re doing an expansion” in late 2013, if not early 2014.

Yet, somehow, we’re to believe that on top of all the current Living Story content, seasons, and other promotionals, you want us to believe that somehow ANet has a team dedicated to massing a new expansion.

All secret-like with no announcement or promotion of any kind?

Exactly how many people work at ArenaNet?

And how many are seen working on the Living World and other releases?

Hint: Over 200 people work at ArenaNet. Not that many work on the Living World content.

And they ARE being secret-like. For over a year now, they have said absolutely nothing about Ree Soesbee and Jeff Grubb’s activities at ArenaNet. They are the two biggest figureheads when it comes to story prior to Angel McCoy taking over as she’s one of the two lead writers for the Living World. Where have ArenaNet’s continuity designers gone? Why have they been silent for the better part of a year and a half? Why whenever someone at ArenaNet are asked about them, they clam up and if they say anything at all it is “we can’t say”?

At this point, I’m believing that they either have those two locked up in a dungeon somewhere, or there’s a secret project going on for over a year now.

As a fun fact: they didn’t mention anything about GW2 until after Eye of the North’s release, not until roughly a year after they decided they’d make GW2. And after that initial announcement it was dead silence for over 2 years. So yeah, ArenaNet would go completely silent on a big project. Why do I say this? Because they already have. Twice.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

ROFL with Lineage and WildStar which has been regarded and mostly a failure is beating out GW2………………………….

well lineage is the 2nd most profitable mmorpg of all time.

the history is while US players are busy playing UO/everquest/wow. Asian players are playing lineage.

If you only count subscription games, lineage is probably the 2nd largest mmorpg in the past 10 years every year.

If I tell you the 2nd most profitable mmorpg a few years ago is the journey of the monkey to the west(or whatever the name is I dont’ remember). You’ll probably say Im’ joking. You do realize there are a lot of people in China.

(edited by laokoko.7403)

McSlappy.1372

well lineage is the 2nd most profitable mmorpg of all time.

Yeah sorry that was worded poorly. Lineage and WildStar beating out GW2. WildStar regarded mostly as a failure is what it should have been.

hydeaut.1758

Given, that the WildStar-number must contain release-sales in the second quarter, I would say the numbers are bad for WildStar.

What seems more interesting to me is the rather heavy decline in GW2-sales itself up to the 3rd quarter 2014 (in your second link).

And if I compare 3rd quarter 2013 to 3rd quarter 2014 GW2-sales decreased also around 20% – even with Living Story 2 being released in summer 2014. Not the best outcome for the Living Story as driving force in my opinion.

(edited by hydeaut.1758)

Posted by: nGumball.1283

nGumball.1283

Lineage a failure?

Wildstar’s Q2 numbers are release-numbers, ofcourse it will beat GW2. The game may not have done well, but you can’t compare release numbers to a game that has been out for 2 years.

McSlappy.1372

Given, that the WildStar-number must contain release-sales in the second quarter, I would say the numbers are bad for WildStar.

What seems more interesting to me is the rather heavy decline in GW2-sales itself up to 3rd quarter 2014 (in your second link).

I would have posted to compare the SoE ones but given that they are 30 bucks for the pack I don’t think it should be posted publicly.

Needless to say other MMOs are doing just fine.

Posted by: Elegy.2159

Elegy.2159

I’m content with or without an expansion. In the past year, we’ve gotten two new zones and a ton of story. And the story is leading up to resolving some longstanding questions about the lore, which is very cool.

I wish more of you would keep in mind that GW2 is only two years old. Games like this require a lot of work and design. I’m baffled by how much they can put out in such a short period of time.

What we have now works well for the most part. If they rush to push out an expansion in response to threats of players leaving, it will likely be full of bugs. And the people at Anet who really care about the game (i.e. the content designers) will be worked sore for a product the players will endlessly complain about.

I’d much rather them go silent about a big project and put out new content that parallels the quality of what we already have. I’d love some fresh content too, but I’m willing to be patient. I’d honestly prefer there not be a box expansion, but more of the slow release of new content/story that we’ve seen.

(edited by Elegy.2159)

Posted by: Zylonite.5913

Zylonite.5913

Why would ANet release an expansion? With their current business model, it makes absolutely no sense to have the living story plus an expansion. An expansion will kill the bi-weekly gem store contents and the living story…

The only thing that would make sense at this point is that if the living story leads to an expansion which would never happen because ANet has lost too much creativity and passion for the game due to focusing on making the gem store as the top priority. It is a shame because with better management, GW2 could have been an epic MMO rather than a flashy world with paid skins.

Betrayed by the gods of ANet

Posted by: BlueZone.4236

BlueZone.4236

Just so everyone is aware, employee does not necessarily mean developer.
It’s highly unlikely they have 300+ developers.
There are many employee roles, such as admin, sales, customer service, human resource, QA etc.

Also, we’ve already seen what they consider big projects (they’ve been folded into the living story/feature packs).
A few new maps and reworked a few maps (Edge of the mist map took nearly a year to make).
Trading post revamp which took nearly two years.
The backend is completely rewritten for the upcoming PvP changes (or is that done already, I dunno).

Posted by: HykCraft.4610

HykCraft.4610

Everyone claims they have evidence of an expansion coming since the launch of GW2.. and here we are 2 years later.. and still nothing. Stop plugging up the forums with this nonsense. Until Anet makes a statement, stop making up rumors.

Sorrow’s Furnace US

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Not even close. As many have pointed out, other games come out with content faster with smaller staffs, so it’s not logical to think that this larger staff couldn’t produce content faster.

Either they’re working on something more ambitious or another project altogether, but 300 people for the content they’ve given us doesn’t really mesh. That’s why some people are expected something big.

Did you start saying those things last year?

Just saying it.

You do realize 1 year have passed.

Yes a year has passed. And when I started having this conversation people always said race, class, NEW ZONES.

Since that time we’ve gotten two new zones, ergo new content that someone somewhere worked on. Those new zones aren’t, as far as I can tell, designed by the living story team, which is quite small. They were designed by people working on stuff that was larger in the background. That keeps happening.

Colin said those same people as soon as one thing is finished they move onto another thing. The people that worked on EoTM did a great job (whether you like the zone or you don’t). And those people move to another project. Sort of how it works.

Vayne.8563

Everyone claims they have evidence of an expansion coming since the launch of GW2.. and here we are 2 years later.. and still nothing. Stop plugging up the forums with this nonsense. Until Anet makes a statement, stop making up rumors.

You’ll have to tell the magazines to stop since three different MMO sites have said the same thing. Not saying it or saying it here holds less weight than that.

Posted by: HykCraft.4610

HykCraft.4610

You’ll have to tell the magazines to stop since three different MMO sites have said the same thing. Not saying it or saying it here holds less weight than that.

That’s fine if media wants to say something, but a majority of the posts and threads on here have been from other players saying their dead grandmother’s uncle who has a best friend who has a brother who has a son who knows of a friend of a friend who works at Anet said GW2 expansion is coming 2015.

Sorrow’s Furnace US

Posted by: Saephaan.7285

Saephaan.7285

Not even close. As many have pointed out, other games come out with content faster with smaller staffs, so it’s not logical to think that this larger staff couldn’t produce content faster.

Either they’re working on something more ambitious or another project altogether, but 300 people for the content they’ve given us doesn’t really mesh. That’s why some people are expected something big.

Just saying it.

Yes a year has passed. And when I started having this conversation people always said race, class, NEW ZONES.

Since that time we’ve gotten two new zones, ergo new content that someone somewhere worked on. Those new zones aren’t, as far as I can tell, designed by the living story team, which is quite small. They were designed by people working on stuff that was larger in the background. That keeps happening.

Colin said those same people as soon as one thing is finished they move onto another thing. The people that worked on EoTM did a great job (whether you like the zone or you don’t). And those people move to another project. Sort of how it works.

Oh :O OMG!!! OMFG! really? 2 zones!!! 2 zones!! i can’t believe it! and also southsun plus 2 other zones!! why are we complaining then? we got new content : O : O :O I mean 3 zones!!! in 2 years :O :O :O :O

Vayne.8563

That’s fine if media wants to say something, but a majority of the posts and threads on here have been from other players saying their dead grandmother’s uncle who has a best friend who has a brother who has a son who knows of a friend of a friend who works at Anet said GW2 expansion is coming 2015.

Okay but logically, if I was saying it, and I said it before the media and the media is saying it, what right does anyone have to not say it. Part of forums are speculation and we’re speculating.

People speculation about the game dying but it hasn’t happened and doesn’t look like it’s going to anytime soon.

I can go back two years and show you posts about the game dying.

Telling people not to speculate on a game forum is like telling people only to break specific elements out of the air. It’s part of what forums are for.

If you don’t like a specific thread, you can always not open it.

Vayne.8563

Just saying it.

Oh :O OMG!!! OMFG! really? 2 zones!!! 2 zones!! i can’t believe it! and also southsun plus 2 other zones!! why are we complaining then? we got new content : O : O :O I mean 3 zones!!! in 2 years :O :O :O :O

Yes, but two of those zones only came out in the last six months. Why deliberately ignore the stuff in front of you. China got launched in April and within six months we had two new zones.

That means that content is accelerating. You’re taking season 1 into those two years, which had a lot of temporary content. That doesn’t happen anymore.

All anyone can really do, without being completely disingenuous, is to start counting from July this year, and then see how much we end up getting in this year.

Posted by: Mister Stygian.2135

Mister Stygian.2135

I’ve stopped thinking of gw2 as a game that will have new content for years to come like gw1 or other mmos. I don’t think think they are trying to keep us around. That is why the last year has been concentrated on new markets like China and player retention of starters. It is easier for them to spread existing content than to produce the amount that would satisfy the veteran player base. If you did stick around, it is most likely because you are in it for skins or community over content; just the kind of person they are hoping for to keep buying gems. I don’t think there will ever be a substantial content release and all we will ever see is a trickle of story instances to support gem shop.

(edited by Mister Stygian.2135)

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

wrong, an expansion is much more than that. sorry to burst ur bubble.

Seems to me, someone else’s bubble is getting burst. But splitting hairs it is.

And they ARE being secret-like. For over a year now, they have said absolutely nothing about Ree Soesbee and Jeff Grubb’s activities at ArenaNet. They are the two biggest figureheads when it comes to story prior to Angel McCoy taking over as she’s one of the two lead writers for the Living World. Where have ArenaNet’s continuity designers gone? Why have they been silent for the better part of a year and a half? Why whenever someone at ArenaNet are asked about them, they clam up and if they say anything at all it is “we can’t say”?

At this point, I’m believing that they either have those two locked up in a dungeon somewhere, or there’s a secret project going on for over a year now.

As a fun fact: they didn’t mention anything about GW2 until after Eye of the North’s release, not until roughly a year after they decided they’d make GW2. And after that initial announcement it was dead silence for over 2 years. So yeah, ArenaNet would go completely silent on a big project. Why do I say this? Because they already have. Twice.

Let me get this one right. Instead of any real proof, given they’ve announced everything previously, to include the original game’s expansions within a year of each other, you’d rather believe the lack of evidence, and developers saying the exact opposite, is proof that this “super secret” plan to release a huge expansion is just around the corner based on . . . your insight?

None of the multiple statements, by the leads and president to include the statement made this year, who say different mean anything. Instead, we are to believe you, who has given no current evidence, because you have . . . a theory? Based on . . . your feelings. Because they’ve said nothing, despite the fact they’ve said the opposite, which I’ve provided three times over now, is proof that there is something. And your basis for all this is . . . silence?

Uh huh.

Can we please bring this thread back to reality? I’m amused by arm chair philosophy as much as the next guy, but this has gone into tin-foil hat territory.

And beyond.

Gone to Reddit.

(edited by Ardenwolfe.8590)

Posted by: Saephaan.7285

Saephaan.7285

Just saying it.

Yes, but two of those zones only came out in the last six months. Why deliberately ignore the stuff in front of you. China got launched in April and within six months we had two new zones.

That means that content is accelerating. You’re taking season 1 into those two years, which had a lot of temporary content. That doesn’t happen anymore.

All anyone can really do, without being completely disingenuous, is to start counting from July this year, and then see how much we end up getting in this year.

it doesn’t matter. it’s still a year and a half without any permanent update. and even if they released 2 zones in 6 months, they are still the size of 1 of the maps from release. i enjoy this game a lot! i really do, but still after 2 years all the updates they made to the game seem really really small compared to other game expansions or updates.

Posted by: Ryuu.5608

Ryuu.5608

Q: What if an expansion doesn’t come in 2015 (or anything that indicates an expansion at all)?

A: All hell breaks loose (on the forums)

Vayne.8563

Just saying it.

it doesn’t matter. it’s still a year and a half without any permanent update. and even if they released 2 zones in 6 months, they are still the size of 1 of the maps from release. i enjoy this game a lot! i really do, but still after 2 years all the updates they made to the game seem really really small compared to other game expansions or updates.

Well that’s what I’m saying. All the other games are releasing content faster and Anet has a bigger team than most of them. That’s WHY I’m expecting an expansion. There’s no reason for so little content to be added to the game if a few really big updates aren’t in the works.

And that’s all an expansion really is. A bunch of big updates coming out at one time.

Vayne.8563

Q: What if an expansion doesn’t come in 2015 (or anything that indicates an expansion at all)?

A: All hell breaks loose (on the forums)

Q: How will we be able to tell? lol

Posted by: Kythan Myr.4719

Kythan Myr.4719

A: The world of Tyria will still go on, but perhaps with more disappointed and grumbly players.

Posted by: Sytherek.7689

Sytherek.7689

Consider this — some casual players I know find the current content pace is too fast.

Yes, it’s true.

My wife plays 10-12 hours a week. She spends 20-30 bucks in the cash store every month.

Just saying’.

I play 30-40 hours per week and would love more content., BTW. But a gemstore outfit is probably more profitable than a new zone, and ANet is a company for profit.

Posted by: Mental Paradox.3845

Mental Paradox.3845

We’ve gotten almost an expansion’s worth this year, tbh. New zones, nice story for a game, tons of new skins, upgrades like the wardrobe, the trait rework (which I think is stupid and bad for the game, but it counts) and the NPE. A lot of stuff was added or updated.

Compare Factions or Nightfall with S2.

Factions: 15+ zones
S2: 2 zones

Factions: additional game modes for PvP (JQ/FA and AB) and PvE
S2: nothing of the sort

Factions: entirely new culture, a ton of new lore, a compelling story
S2: a soap-quality story that doesn’t go anywhere and leaves every cliffhanger hanging

And you dare call the NPE an improvement?? In what kind of game does S2 equal “an expansion’s worth of content”? Not an expansion I’d pay more than $10 for.

(edited by Mental Paradox.3845)

Posted by: Lévis.5489

Lévis.5489

2015 is Guild Wars’ 10th anniversary. It would be professional suicide to not having anything special in 2015.

Posted by: Oxidia.8103

Oxidia.8103

If they don’t make the expansion, i will continue to play. Simple.

Posted by: Allisa Wonderland.8192

Allisa Wonderland.8192

I am finally seeing an organically growing, progressing world, where ArenaNET is still able to provide static, replayable instances for those who prefer that structure. I think they have it figured out now, and the next year is going to show us just how much the world can and will change, in a way where new players will have a plethora of back story to play through, while providing constant new and evolving experiences for long term players.

I applaud the developers and management for their willingness to push forth this bold vision, in the face of great conservative bias.

Thanks for the awesome game. Expand as it fits the context…

Posted by: Mo Mo.1947

Mo Mo.1947

A: If they don’t make an expansion, the OP and others like them will continue to live in denial but probably continue playing GW2 because it’s fun.

Posted by: Rebound.3409

Rebound.3409

Best part about putting together “wishful thinking” and “anet” is the utter disappointment u will feel after as proven almost each time related to stuff the community really wants. This whole discussion is about the lack of CONSISTENT content..that’s why ppl want expansions…because expansions mean mass-content dumped at once…content that is lengthy enough to get u passed several months + a few months of waiting left for the next major content. (mass content = several maps, new classes, new skills, new and many quest chains, new races in some cases, new dungeons (NOT NEW PATHS)…stuff the the community wants (in this case new legendaries, crating legendaries, housing, gvg, etc etc.)

I look forward to the rivers of tears and soon to be opened #2016 expansion threads.

…or u actually expect ANet to give u information about an expansion……a company that has proven to have one of the most draconic communication policies in it’s industry…an industry that relies on communication primarily (mmo).

It’s like they are funded by North Korea….but i guess that’s what happens when they know for a fact, as a company, they can’t deliver things at the level of expectation they created themselves.

Anyway, we should necro this thread in 2016 for the lulz…..BUT DO NOT WORRY! 2015 will be a BOUNTIFUL year regarding gemstore items!

(edited by Rebound.3409)

Posted by: Vukorep.3081

Vukorep.3081

well….what will you guys do if the expansion doesnt come in 2015? i am sure that arenanet realized by now that they NEED an expansion in order for the game to progress in a grand scale. not only that, but the constant pressure being put on them by players, credible websites, popular sites, etc.

back on topic..

I will still continue to play as usual, as theres still a lot of fun things for me to do in gw2

hydeaut.1758

People speculation about the game dying but it hasn’t happened and doesn’t look like it’s going to anytime soon.

One of those topics where the answer depends on how you read the question: of course GW2 will exist as long as servers are running – though that´s not what most players will mean.

And on top of all the speculation one thing is certain: GW2 lost around 20% of it´s sales in 3rd quarter 2014 compared to 3rd quarter 2013.

http://global.ncsoft.com/global/ir/earnings.aspx

So maybe the game is not dying soon – after what definition ever – but it`s also far from beeing stable. There´s a good economic reason for the NPE and daily-revamp (while those are lacking as part of a solution in my opinion – but that´s another topic).

(edited by hydeaut.1758)

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Box sales are misleading as to the health of a game, though. The longer a game has been out, the fewer sales are made. This is universal, because once you have the game, you probably aren’t buying another copy.

The only numbers that can be accurately used are numbers of active players, which only ANet has.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

(edited by Drarnor Kunoram.5180)

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

I hope they dont make an expansion, unless it can be unlocked with gems. I bought this game because it didnt have a sub and there would be no additional costs. If they lock new content behind a payment, i would propably stop playing.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: Adry.7512

Adry.7512

keeping up on a company’s income…doesnt educate anyone, and on top of that its spelled naive, not nive. if a gaming company didnt make a large sum to begin with, they would just go bankrupt, or they would borrow money. lol you think because something has a good start, and good advertizement means that they have no worries? the one who needs education is you. you dont understand marketing, in fact your understanding of it is so bad that you dont even consider the various basic variables that should always be taken into account.

(edited by Adry.7512)

Posted by: Adry.7512

Adry.7512

I hope they dont make an expansion, unless it can be unlocked with gems. I bought this game because it didnt have a sub and there would be no additional costs. If they lock new content behind a payment, i would propably stop playing.

it DEPENDS on how they go about it. at the end of the day, if anet doesnt want to be considered your basic F2P game, then they NEED an expansion. how they go about it is up to them, but an expansion is necessary.

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

it DEPENDS on how they go about it. at the end of the day, if anet doesnt want to be considered your basic F2P game, then they NEED an expansion. how they go about it is up to them, but an expansion is necessary.

I don’t think they do NEED an expansion. Nothing can be introduced via expansion that Living Story can’t handle.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

Vayne.8563

One of those topics where the answer depends on how you read the question: of course GW2 will exist as long as servers are running – though that´s not what most players will mean.

And on top of all the speculation one thing is certain: GW2 lost around 20% of it´s sales in 3rd quarter 2014 compared to 3rd quarter 2013.

http://global.ncsoft.com/global/ir/earnings.aspx

So maybe the game is not dying soon – after what definition ever – but it`s also far from beeing stable. There´s a good economic reason for the NPE and daily-revamp (while those are lacking as part of a solution in my opinion – but that´s another topic).

Those numbers are partly meaningful and partly meaningless. They’re nothing without context. In this case, part of the context is the exchange rate changed between the two yearly quarters and it changed the bottom line. The dollars and euros are converted to kwon at different rates in both years. So the difference isn’t as big as you’re making it out to be. That’s the first thing.

More importantly, every single business works off a business plan, and believe it or not, some of those business plans expect you to lose money. In the publishing industry, almost all books will make 90% of the sales they make ever during the first 90 days. If the book is out for ten years, it will very likely be making less each and every year. That’s normal. It’s what’s supposed to happen.

If there was any issue at all with the profits of this game, people would have been laid off. Anet isn’t laying off people it’s hiring.

Wildstar just had massive layoffs because it didn’t meet expectations. It may have been profitable, but that doesn’t matter if the expected profit isn’t met. Guild Wars 2 may have lost money from year to year, quarter to quarter and it may still have exceeded expectations according to the business plan.

Again if it was an issue at all, Anet would have likely seen layoffs.