Expansion Thread [merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Targren.6073

Targren.6073

Honestly, with the way things have been going (NPE, Trait rework, more focus on repetitive grinding), I’m against an ExPack since I probably wouldn’t buy it.

Posted by: Hannelore.8153

Hannelore.8153

What to expect in 2015:
Good LS update
Mediocre LS update
Mini LS update
Huge break
Random micro PvP / WvW update
“Feature” pack
Huge break
Good LS update
Mediocre LS update
Mini LS update
Huge break
Recycled Halloween
Good LS update
Mediocre LS update
Mini LS update
Recycled Wintersday

(Some more huge breaks…)

Daisuki [SUKI] LGBT-Friendly Guild Leader | NA – Jade Quarry
I’m usually really sweet… but this an internet forum and you know how it has to be.
/i’m a lesbiab… lesbiam… less bien… GIRLS/

(edited by Hannelore.8153)

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

The sad thing is, if I was a betting man, I’d guess you had a crystal ball given this year ending. Hope you’re wrong, but I get the feeling. . . .

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

What to expect in 2015:
Good LS update
Mediocre LS update
Mini LS update
Huge break
“Feature” pack
Huge break
Good LS update
Mediocre LS update
Mini LS update
Huge break
Recycled Halloween
Good LS update
Mediocre LS update
Mini LS update
Recycled Wintersday

(Some more huge breaks…)

^^^^This guy right here

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Shpongle.6025

Shpongle.6025

It won’t happen. They have sad time and again that they aren’t gonna do expansions and if they suddenly released one out of no where it would shatter what little credibility they have left in the eyes of the community.

There would be almost 0 reason to believe them on anything, one way or the other.

Oh come on, they just do whatever they want. It’s always been that way.

Are you Shpongled?

Posted by: Adry.7512

Adry.7512

It won’t happen. They have sad time and again that they aren’t gonna do expansions and if they suddenly released one out of no where it would shatter what little credibility they have left in the eyes of the community.

There would be almost 0 reason to believe them on anything, one way or the other.

Oh come on, they just do whatever they want. It’s always been that way.

yea but compare what they are doing now to what they did before. yea they DID always do whatever they wanted, but…..who besides GW1 players….knew about GW1? the game went off the radar a million years ago. they are trying to make GW2 a “thing”…..a serious thing LOL. i doubt they can do whatever they want, unless they want to fall off….again.

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

They are actually living the dream at the moment. Make as much money as possible, with as little effort as possible. It’s the dream of every company, no, every person.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Thanatos.2691

Thanatos.2691

They are actually living the dream at the moment. Make as much money as possible, with as little effort as possible. It’s the dream of every company, no, every person.

Although it definitely feels like this is the case from my perspective as a player, I think in reality it’s a little different. I’ve read in various posts that the developers have made a good amount of content that has been scrapped for one reason or another, forcing them to rework their ideas in hopes that they’ll be approved for use in game. I recall reading somewhere that this seemed to be the case especially during the last extended break we had from any new content, so I’m hoping this is less so the case now. If the forum search wasn’t broken, I’d try finding these older threads.

From a player perspective such as mine, I definitely agree it feels like the developers are putting in minimal effort with maximum profits. I think this feeling stems from being kept in the dark for too long and having so many breaks with underwhelming crumbs of content being tossed to us. I’m not sure what’s going on behind the scenes and this is all personal speculation, but a little more information would certainly be nice so that we the players aren’t all stumbling through the darkness with only our opinions and feelings to guide us.

Golden shackles are still golden.

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

For the people who are so commited to Living World. This game will eventually die without an expansion. This is how MMOs work and Living World, despite how good it could become, will never be able to replace an expansion.

Do you have any evidence to back up your claim? No MMO using Living Story as their content delivery method has died yet (because GW2 is the first). I can point to a large number of dead MMO’s that used expansions, though. I’d say Living World has a pretty good shot.

Apparently I don’t and therefore I apologize for not mentioning that it was my own personal opinion. Living Story as an idea is great and I have to say that it has improved dramatically, I also believe that it could improve even further in the future. However, despite how successful Living Story can be, GW2 as an MMO needs more than happy players to survive. LS in fact is mostly about players who already play the game, players who left and/or haven’t played the game yet will in most cases not care about LS neither how well it develops. Not only because LS is an in-game updating sytem which usually attracts less people but because LS as a system had a really bad reputation last year as it didn’t live up to the name of GW2.

GW2 as a title needs promotional impact and commercial success. Quite frankly, the title is already enormously popular and an expansion announcement could explode its’ popularity in the industry again. MMOs are about commercial success and media attention and GW2 really needs that to keep on going strong. Sadly enough, I don’t think LS will ever have that impact in the industry despite what it brings to the game. Not to mention the fact that at its’ current state, LS doesn’t have enogh content to statisfy the players’ expectations from a game that had such a strong start as GW2.

Living Story S1 was temporary content. Living Story S2 has been for level 80s. An expansion, ideally, would offer permanent additions to the game for everyone. New races to play, with new starting zones, new professions, and so on and so forth. A huge, sprawling smorgasbord of content, rather than sporadic happy meals with the occasional toy surprise (only if you ‘voluntarily’ earn it).

Anet has made it clear with NPE that they are all about New Players, acquiring and retaining them even if it means alienating Old Players. Which, ironically enough, the New Players will eventually become if they stick around long enough.

Living Story S1’s temporary content was pretty much available to everyone, but is gone now and can’t help retain any players, new or old.

Living Story S2’s 80s-only content might keep some old players hanging on, and will be there for the the current crop of new players when they become old players, although any new players who come along after the unlock period is passed will have to buy it. S2, then, is an improvement over S1. Generally speaking, something is better than nothing, and S1 is about as big a pile of nothing as anything that ever wasn’t.

If the future of the game is more Living Story instead of a traditional expansion, then there’s no escaping it: future S’s are going to have to make good on that notion of delivering expansion-levels of new content, or more people will point at anet (and GW2) and laugh.

Like this: HAH hah.

Judging by what we’ve seen thus far, I don’t think Living Story is going to do what an expansion would have done.

Author’s Note: this is my opinion. Feel free to share it, or devise your own! Thanks!

The table is a fable.

Posted by: Malkavian.4516

Malkavian.4516

In all honesty, if an expansion does come in 2015 assuming they announced it on the same year, I’d be more worried than hyped as it usually pertains to rushed content as opposed to announcing it on 2015 and releasing it say a year later.

FOR SKYRIM!!!!!

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

In all honesty, if an expansion does come in 2015 assuming they announced it on the same year, I’d be more worried than hyped as it usually pertains to rushed content as opposed to announcing it on 2015 and releasing it say a year later.

That is of course assuming that they don’t really start with the expansion until they announces it. Which is rather clearly false when it comes to ArenaNet.
They only announce what will happen (or rather hint at) a week before the new Living Story Episode, that doesn’t mean the episode is created during that week.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Malkavian.4516

Malkavian.4516

Yeah. Whatever the case, I’m not too worried about it.

FOR SKYRIM!!!!!

Posted by: Renn.7048

Renn.7048

Hello guys, I am Renn and this is the first topic I have created. I have started playing GW2 about a week ago. The game has been out for 2 years, but still it has no expansion. Why? Also I have to ask, on Youtube there seems to be so many videos, that state all the faults of the game like its dungeons, endgame, crafting, and the last mission for the personal story. The interaction between the world and your personal story which A-net promised also seems to be missing. I was wondering if any of these problems have been fixed and i also wanted to know what do you do after you reach lvl. 80.

Posted by: Gnat.9405

Gnat.9405

The obvious answer here is to not create threads like this after only a week of playing and make an attempt to develop your own perspective of the game rather than forming an opinion based on what other players think.

Posted by: sharkstein.2109

sharkstein.2109

There will be no expansion because the game functions really well without it. The devs are happy, the fans are not BUT the devs are happy. You will not be getting an expansion untill their superiors say that they need to make an expansion.

“Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness”.
— Every heartbroken Guild Wars fan on GW2

Posted by: butch.8136

butch.8136

Not sure if troll.

Razor xxxx (Desolation ; Off)
Bring back: ‘Gamer’ title + MAT’s!
Throw out: Hotjoin!

Ardenwolfe.8590

Me neither. Especially given the other thread is still near the top of the page. But I’ll give the benefit of the doubt.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/What-if-expansion-doesnt-come-in-2015/page/7#post4656298

If you’ve played a week, and are asking these questions, you haven’t gotten far enough into the game.

Come back in three months and ask again if you still need. By then, you’ll have formed your own opinions and won’t need ours to fill your own.

Enjoy the game.

Gone to Reddit.

(edited by Ardenwolfe.8590)

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

This is a highly discussed topic and you’re not the first one to post about it. Since Search function is not working, you might find this summary post useful (cannot quote because of character limit):

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/List-of-Common-Controversial-Forum-Topics/first#expansion

20 level 80s and counting.

Adry.7512

that is what i fear too! because since they have so much pressure to make an expansion, i worry that it wont come out good. Anet ACTUALLY thought that they didnt need a big expansion at the beginning (“not any time soon”), but life has shown them otherwise. i hope they dont RUSH the expansion, and i hope that they been working on an expansion AT LEAST on the side, since the beginning.

Posted by: Rococo.8347

Rococo.8347

We will get an expansion way before we get the Traits debacle sorted….

Im reckoning around the time of the Tokyo Olympics.

Adry.7512

LOOOOOOL i laughed forreal

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

2020 summer is too soon… just 5 more years and ~6 months.

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Let me get this one right. Instead of any real proof, given they’ve announced everything previously, to include the original game’s expansions within a year of each other, you’d rather believe the lack of evidence, and developers saying the exact opposite, is proof that this “super secret” plan to release a huge expansion is just around the corner based on . . . your insight?

None of the multiple statements, by the leads and president to include the statement made this year, who say different mean anything. Instead, we are to believe you, who has given no current evidence, because you have . . . a theory? Based on . . . your feelings. Because they’ve said nothing, despite the fact they’ve said the opposite, which I’ve provided three times over now, is proof that there is something. And your basis for all this is . . . silence?

Uh huh.

Can we please bring this thread back to reality? I’m amused by arm chair philosophy as much as the next guy, but this has gone into tin-foil hat territory.

And beyond.

First off, the developers have not stated they’re not doing an expansion in over a year now. However, they (specifically, Colin) have told us for nearly a year now that there is a project in the works in the background. For an entire year, that is since January 2014, shortly before The Origins of Madness, we have known of his project, but knew nothing of what said project is – or was, should it have been scrapped by now.

So no, it is not based on ‘my insight’. It’s based on the fact that there is a project we have been told nothing about in the works for nearly a year now – and since this project has been in the works, there has not been a single developer comment stating that they’re not working on an expansion.

1+1=…?

Granted, there are other possibilities, I won’t deny that nor ever have. But to say that ArenaNet continue to state that they have no plans for an expansion is a fallacy as the last time such was said, was mid/late 2013 – months before the mention of the background project.

Is it a theory? Sure. But so is the notiong that there isn’t going to be an expansion. Because we haven’t been told one way or the other.

Is it my feelings? Not really. I don’t expect an expansion in the least. I even question whether or not there is a “project in the background”.

And to note: they have indeed released content without announcing it beforehand. For example, Guild Wars Beyond was a complete surprise to players (or rather, War in Kryta). So were the M.O.X. quests and Dhuum’s addition to the Underworld (and the related Halloween quests – the first quests ever for Halloween which came out in ’09, 4 years after the holiday has been around).

You say that they’ve stated this year that there will be no expansion, however, I do not see you citing such a statement. I’ve read all your posts in this thread, and all I see is comments of such in 2013.

Since you’re a stickler for calling out ‘no sources’:

We’re extremely pumped about adding to each of these regions – we think that that sales number is going to take off again, and we’re going to see a resurgence in territories we are out in as more and more players from other parts of the world get invested. And also as some of the really big projects we’re working on in the background come to fruition, we’re going to see a spike again in users.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-01-14-you-thought-that-was-it-for-guild-wars-2

Johanson said that the living world is new territory; ArenaNet has been steadily learning what works —as well as what doesn’t -- and smoothing out the implementation. He reiterated that the living world and expansion-style content are not mutually exclusive, and that although players may perceive the studio as concentrating on living world content in lieu of expansion content, there are teams working behind the scenes on other projects. Turnaround time for content implementation is around three or four months, sometimes longer, but feedback received in areas such as the living world collaborative development initiative thread will have a definite impact on future content.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/01/14/exclusive-preview-of-guild-wars-2s-origin-of-madness-release/

Dated January 14th, 2014. Now, these do not say “expansion coming!” but do hint that something big has been in the works in the background. Plural on projects, so no doubt China release was one of them. But that’s only one project… so what’s the others?

And if there is no expansion, why doesn’t Gaile or another dev swoop in to say “sorry folks, there’s no expansion in the work” in all these expansion threads? Why is there no denial of an expansion? That, if you ask me, is most suspicious. With all their silence to reduce unfulfilled hype, you’d think they’d squash these kinds of hype in the butt too.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Posted by: NewTrain.7549

NewTrain.7549

And if there is no expansion, why doesn’t Gaile or another dev swoop in to say “sorry folks, there’s no expansion in the work” in all these expansion threads?

Because it would horrendous PR. Despite what some people feel about the lack of need for an expansion, any announcement that one was not in the works would lead to a reduction in active players.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

And if there is no expansion, why doesn’t Gaile or another dev swoop in to say “sorry folks, there’s no expansion in the work” in all these expansion threads?

Because it would horrendous PR. Despite what some people feel about the lack of need for an expansion, any announcement that one was not in the works would lead to a reduction in active players.

And what if they said, we have intentions to introduce a new profession and race, but it won’t be through an expansion?

NewTrain.7549

And what if they said, we have intentions to introduce a new profession and race, but it won’t be through an expansion?

So what if they did? They haven’t. They won’t. You know ANet’s (non)communication policy just as well as the rest of us. Moot point.

Vayne.8563

So what if they did? They haven’t. They won’t. You know ANet’s (non)communication policy just as well as the rest of us. Moot point.

Way to completely ignore what I’m saying.

If they are working on a new profession, even if they don’t tell us that, it will come at some point. It may not come in an expansion.

So how does that change the equation?

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

A lot of people would be ecstatic. Others mixed. Then some people would whine and moan because that’s what they do.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

Vayne.8563

A lot of people would be ecstatic. Others mixed. Then some people would whine and moan because that’s what they do.

My point is people are chanting expansion because they don’t believe bigger updates like professions, skills and races can come in the living story.

I’m wondering if those things did come, but an expansion didn’t, would that satisfy those crying for an expansion?

NewTrain.7549

If they are working on a new profession, even if they don’t tell us that, it will come at some point. It may not come in an expansion.

I didn’t ignore what you said. You posed a highly improbably hypothetical. I pointed out that it was so improbable it wasn’t worth considering as a possibility. Seems, if anything, you ignored what I said.

Besides, none of that matters anyway. The person I quoted asked why ANet doesn’t admit to the lack of an expansion. I answered. Nothing more needed to be said.

Vayne.8563

I didn’t ignore what you said. You posed a highly improbably hypothetical. I pointed out that it was so improbable it wasn’t worth considering as a possibility. Seems, if anything, you ignored what I said.

Besides, none of that matters anyway. The person I quoted asked why ANet doesn’t admit to the lack of an expansion. I answered. Nothing more needed to be said.

Half the stuff on this forum doesn’t “need” to be said. It’s a conversation because ideas lead to other ideas…unless you’re completely closed minded of course, in which case ideas lead nowhere.

It’s not improbable and why you think it is is beyond me. But it doesn’t matter. You’ve made up your mind.

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

My point is people are chanting expansion because they don’t believe bigger updates like professions, skills and races can come in the living story.

I’m wondering if those things did come, but an expansion didn’t, would that satisfy those crying for an expansion?

If they packaged up 2-4 zones – and some lore for the zones- , 1-2 profs, 2-4 new weapons – thus new skills across all classes – , and a bunch of (very asked for) quality of life improvements all into one big update then maybe those that want an expansion…

If they give all that as LS updates over the courses of (judging by what I’m using as an example) say 6 years… probably not, and no knight in shining armor at the end of those 6 years will be able convince the haters that “HEY LOOK, they did give all that in the end” (6 years later…)

Personally I’m not expect anything.
There’s also only about 3 things that they can do to make me completely quit the game and not just login in for 5 minutes every day/so-often.

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

NewTrain.7549

Half the stuff on this forum doesn’t “need” to be said. It’s a conversation because ideas lead to other ideas…unless you’re completely closed minded of course, in which case ideas lead nowhere.

It’s not improbable and why you think it is is beyond me. But it doesn’t matter. You’ve made up your mind.

Because ANet has clearly said they’re not sharing information about things in (or not in) development. That makes it highly improbable they they’d suddenly announce that Living Story is going to provide a new profession and race. Obvious improbability is obvious. You’ve clearly commented on ANet’s lack of communication before and I’m not sure why you’re suddenly playing dumb about it now.

And FYI ideas only lead to other ideas when they’re in the realm of possibility. You’ve shouted down people asking for open world PvP and mounts before because they didn’t fit into probable development. So why now are your “ideas” somehow exceptions to your own rules of conversation?

(edited by NewTrain.7549)

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

If they are working on a new profession, even if they don’t tell us that, it will come at some point.

Unless it becomes yet another of the half-finished things they scrap before we ever see it.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Ardenwolfe.8590

And if there is no expansion, why doesn’t Gaile or another dev swoop in to say “sorry folks, there’s no expansion in the work” in all these expansion threads? Why is there no denial of an expansion? That, if you ask me, is most suspicious. With all their silence to reduce unfulfilled hype, you’d think they’d squash these kinds of hype in the butt too.

Jesus. Am I talking to myself? They have denied it. This year. I even posted the most recent link twice in this thread.

Please feel free to scroll up.

There’s no conspiracy theory. They are focused on Living Story, right now. And have said so repeatedly. Why are you still ignoring this fact?

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Why are still ignoring this fact?

Desperation, I think.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Nokturnal Lunacy.3186

Nokturnal Lunacy.3186

Forgive me is this has already been said im not bout to read this whole thread. I believe Anet said they wouldn’t have expansions cuz the living story is and expansion being released in small doses. Not verbatim.
The problem is that the living story content is not being released fast enuf for players to be happy and then the ls releases tend to be disappointing (for me anyway). I understand that it would be an incredible strain on anet to release a new ls every week or very frequently and very costly so I hold out hope, but if Anet is going to release a new ls every 2 weeks for a month and then go on a 4-6 month break then its like a constant tease and players tend get irritated. If a ls were to be released every 2 weeks that opens up more map exploration and content then just tiny snippets like whats been happening then players would be more happier.

Posted by: VergilDeZaniah.3295

VergilDeZaniah.3295

I’ve only read till page 2 (I’ll read more later)

Seriously guys, your only argument is “they said they’re not working on an expansion so they probably aren’t”?

Remember the manifesto? They said they would do the game in a way, but it ends up pretty different… “It won’t be ‘Hey I swung a sword again!’” anyone?

Also, they have their policy of “we won’t talk about anything until it’s 100% done”, so I’m sure they won’t talk about it until a month or two before release, because that’s how they’ve always done.

There’s a big difference between what is said and what is done. Just because 1,5 years ago they said something doesn’t it was true or still valid right now.

Time will tell, one week left until the teaser.

On topic: I’ve been playing far less these days, losing my fun in repetitive activities. If there’s no expansion (might it be in a big bulk, or tiny bits à la LS, but better), I won’t be funding the game anymore and I’ll do something more breath-teaking and thrilling: knitting.

Guild leader of The Nephilim of Elysium.

Son of Elonia.

Posted by: Lucky Shot.7650

Lucky Shot.7650

I’m bored. I’ve been taking regular breaks from the game, then coming back, but each time I come back I get bored faster. I used to play every LS episode, with the last one, Seeds of Truth, I didn’t even bother, I logged in, unlocked it then logged out. Now they give free stuff to log in but even free stuff can’t make me log in on daily basis.

The game feels very stagnant, we’re doing the same stuff for two years now bar some minor exception. I honestly can’t understand how people keep telling the game can still be fresh. So I log in and what do I do? Go chop X trees in kryta? Farm a dungeon I did a billion times before? Do a 10 mins Living Story instance? What’s the plan, keep people entertained by changing the way they do their dailies (that consist in trivial tasks) and by 10 mins instances?

What will happen if an expansion doesn’t come out? I’ll be logging in less often as the time goes by, and one day I’ll just forget about the game.

(edited by Lucky Shot.7650)

Posted by: Salonikios.3154

Salonikios.3154

I like the living story alot by how much it adds to the lore to be honest,but what i dont like is the rythm in which we get the content delivered…its like playing getting hyped and then like oohhhhhhhh cm ooooon!
I really think the game needs desperately an expansion at least to the areas that guild wars 1 was taking place.
People want and the game needs it,especially since new players are getting the bitter feel after beating the personal story and then…Break for summer,break for halloween, break for wintersday…BREAK BREAK BREAK!!!I mean u guys deserve a break from time to time but really? so much breaks?
The game is unrewarding in a large scale and feels like that with every major bug that creates a gold farm and people jump to it like theres no tommorow!!
My wish from Anet for 2015:
1) Fix the loot system
2)Fix the events that got nerfed so much that people fail them to get better loot by simply re failing them to repeat the whole process -.-
3)Major expansion pack to all of the areas of the original gw1(how hard can it be!!!)
4)Fix the WvWvW zerging for the win-loot baggging strategy
5)Stop the DR code and focus on a better anti botting program
6) HIRE SOME REAL PROFESSIONALS TO CREATE MORE CONTENT FOR THIS GAME CAUSE WE LIKE IT!!!!!!! A LOT!!!!!!!
7)Convince NC soft that Gw2 actually worths to get and expansion and delete from the face of earth Lineage 2 and AION….the worst game ever……

I really hope that they will listen one day to the community and they will do good but till then….i am taking a BREAK from Gw2 :P

Posted by: Talindra.4958

Talindra.4958

there wont be an expansion!!!!!!!!!!!!! unfortunately…. its trueeee…. don’t cry

Champion Magus & Phantom, Demon’s Demise, The Archdesigner.
Death is Energy [DIE] – Gandara EU
Australia

Posted by: Twonineone.3490

Twonineone.3490

I hope that an expansion will be released. An expansion that we can buy with money and that can offer A LOT of new contents to the players.
I really loved GW2, but this way realeasing expansions in chapter is really bad for some reasons:
1. gives players (bored of GW2 like me) the chance to log in just one day, unlock new chapters, play them and close the game again for other 2 weeks.
2. new contents became boring in a week because players have nothing new to do except for the new event (seldom bugged for the first 2 or 3 days).
3. the GW2 motto of a PERSONAL story is dead: we have no choice to do in the fight against Mordremoth’s creatures, we are just victim of circumstances.
4. there is nothing new to do: now 99% of players have all characters, played all races and explored the world more than one time. Mordremoth doesn’t offer a good novelty to keep players anchored to the the game.

Besides Anet didn’t annouce a real expansion, this means that it will continue offering us just few shreds of new contents for a long time yet…

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I’m sure an expansion will come in 2015, I helped buy the expansion pass . . . oh, wait, we’re talking for GW2 and not Destiny?

. . . who knows, too busy sizing up charr for my living room rug.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Errannar.8263

Errannar.8263

Don’t you just love how some people casually demand to have both Cantha ánd Elona added within a year, despite the enormous amount of effort it would take to redesign, model, animate and place everything in it. Not to mention writing and adding the stories, events, music and everything else ArenaNet does.

Great content takes time to create and GW2 is an entirely different beast than GW, even if it takes place in the same fictional universe.

“I like going on adventures, helping my friends and watching things burn.”
~ Spring Flow, Sylvari Guardian

(edited by Errannar.8263)

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

For it to change the equation, they’d need to inform us first.
I’m now at the point where i am sure they don’t speak of the future not to keep what they are working on secret, but to hide from us what they aren’t intending to do.

Yes, for me at least. I do consider it unlikely, however, given Anet’s record so far.

How is it bad PR to prevent false expectations from rising and, potentially, getting out of control?

Because they want those. As long as people have expectations, they may cling to the game even against their better judgment. Tell them, that those expectations won’t be met, and they may just leave.

Yeah, it is going to blow up eventually – but it will be at some time in the future, and not now. It is a short term strategy only, of course – perhaps they hope that they will get enough new players on board by that time, or that somehow they will manage to retain enough players indefinitely with just hints of empty promises that will never be fulfilled. Or maybe they are just not thinking about the far-off future, and all their planning is about the next quarter income.

Who knows? Not us, because Anet certainly isn’t telling us anything.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Posted by: Simzani.4318

Simzani.4318

You can look at the CDI to see what it isnt coming. CDI mean that they don’t work (or plan to begin to work, or think to plan it) on its subject.

Posted by: Errannar.8263

Errannar.8263

You can look at the CDI to see what it isnt coming. CDI mean that they don’t work (or plan to begin to work, or think to plan it) on its subject.

The CDI is a tool for the developers. They take a look at parts that may be missing or broken and get players to brainstorm on ideas. This gives them an incredible amount of ideas that they by themselves may not have thought of and at the same time gives an insight into what the community thinks and wants.

Some of the CDI topics are massive in scope, but the impatient and excited community doesn’t realize or seem to care for the amount of time it might take for these projects to come to completion, if they ever do.

Because of how the community reacted in the past (see precursor crafting) and because they aren’t sure if things will work out and when, they don’t want to tell us whether they are working on on those projects or not. They might not fit into the game or they might not be fun, after all.

“I like going on adventures, helping my friends and watching things burn.”
~ Spring Flow, Sylvari Guardian

Ardenwolfe.8590

How odd that it says Januari 2014 for you, while when I hover over the date of Martin Kerstein’s post it says Februari 07, 2013 17:21.

CRAP! Thank you for catching that. Sure enough, I switched the links, and answers, in my head. I’m shocked no one caught that.

Here’s the real link from 14 January:

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/89072-colin-johanson-mike-zadorojny-interview-on-eurogamer/

“The thing that we haven’t decided yet,” he went on, "is what form that type of content will take. Is it right for Guild Wars 2 for that kind of boxed expansion? Is it right for that to be something we add, live, through storylines in the game? Is that something we want to sell through our in-game store? There are a lot of different options available to us.

“… but we absolutely are going to do sweeping new features that you would traditionally only get in expansions – large regions, content and progression additions to your characters in the form of growth and professions and races. Those are all things that you will see in the lifespan of Guild Wars 2.”

Mike Zadorojny, clarifying his comments from last year – which suggested there wouldn’t be an expansion any time soon – said: “The answer I gave you [in 2013] was that nothing was off the table.”

My apologies about any confusion. I apparently mixed his last comment this year with the one last year as noted above.

Hope it clarifies.

Edit: Entire interview for context and disclosure:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-01-14-you-thought-that-was-it-for-guild-wars-2

Again, thanks for catching that . . . how embarrassing. . . .

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

What to expect in 2015:
Good LS update
Mediocre LS update
Mini LS update
Huge break
“Feature” pack
Huge break
Good LS update
Mediocre LS update
Mini LS update
Huge break
Recycled Halloween
Good LS update
Mediocre LS update
Mini LS update
Recycled Wintersday

(Some more huge breaks…)

^^ This

+ new Black lion weapons and armors (800 gem)

Posted by: naiasonod.9265

naiasonod.9265

Q: What if expansion doesnt come in 2015?

A: Life goes on pretty much the same, albeit differently, than it did in 2014.

One is only the smartest person in the room if they are alone.