Feedback/Questions: Town clothes, Costumes, & Combat

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Naevius.3185

Naevius.3185

I don’t know how possible it is, but it would be nice if, instead of one outfit slot, there were the same number of slots as on the current town clothes tab. That way, individual pieces could be slotted to overide jut that part of your armor.

Example: Wear only the Mad King head piece.

Posted by: Intensity.8964

Intensity.8964

And then we need to burn a transmutation charge whenever we want to move from town clothes to a combat look. Not great for roleplayers.

There is no transmutation charge to change outfits or toggle it on and off.
Transmutation charges are for applying new skins to specific armor pieces, same as now.

Yes outfits are all or nothing.
Yes wearable in combat. There will be no non-combat equipment anymore, unless you count tonics.

I hope toys like the executioners axe aren’t available in combat. I think I’d just give up on gw2 if I saw a sword/ warhorn with GS warrior, bulls rush and then the scythe rush.

Posted by: IrisTheCasual.3742

IrisTheCasual.3742

I’m one happy asura

Attachments:

Posted by: Lamont.5973

Lamont.5973

I bought at least 15 pieces of individual town clothes (shirts, cargo pants, riding pants, riding boots, etc) for my various characters so they could have a unique look when I desired it.

I did NOT buy them in order to get a bunch of tonics that can not be dyed and will force all my characters to look like uniformed clones.

Very bad bad idea and not a very nice way to treat players if this is what is going to happen.

I honestly don’t see why they didn’t just leave the town clothes panel as it is and add a toggle to show either town clothes or armor visually instead of this complicated system of costume and tonics – seems pretty clumsy and not very well thought out.

Or, at least, since they are going to have to add other items of clothes to the tonics anyway, why not make the “tonic” pieces into full sets like the pirate outfit and let them be dyable? (would not be really satisfied with this but it would be a heck of a lot better than having to drag a tonic around all the time)

Oh, and what about my toon that likes to go barefoot with a hoodie and cargo shorts? Is he going to be forced to wear shoes even in town?

I think I’ll start gathering all my stuff together to demand a refund when the time comes and from this point on I’m going to be very cautious about what I buy in the gem store since, apparently, what you buy isn’t what you get to keep anymore. The light flamekissed was debacle enough – this is even worse.

(edited by Lamont.5973)

Posted by: Lycis.1843

Lycis.1843

I would like to see a town clothes tab for individual mixing of town clothes.

Posted by: Moss.5371

Moss.5371

Which outfits are left as “wearable in combat” then? pirate and chef?

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

so that means that i can finally play as a huge norn and walk around with bunny ears?
YAY

Posted by: Nkuvu.2570

Nkuvu.2570

I’m really confused on how the town clothes system is supposed to work. Even after “clarification” from official posts.

For town clothes my thief is wearing cargo shorts and an ornate ruched shirt and devil horns and starter boots for her town clothes. So… what will she have after the update? No idea.

My necromancer is wearing a pirate outfit (one of three I own, now I’m kicking myself for buying multiples) with starter boots because I think the pirate boots look goofily huge. What will she get after the update? No clue. Will she be forced to wear the pirate hat? Dunno.

I was all excited for the wardrobe system, until I ran into the town clothes issue. I’m not at all interested in double clicking a tonic every time I zone when I want to change my appearance — that’s a system that’s as bad as the awful minipets. And thanks, I really wanted to clutter up my inventory with more stuff.

Way to ruin an incredible update.

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

And then we need to burn a transmutation charge whenever we want to move from town clothes to a combat look. Not great for roleplayers.

There is no transmutation charge to change outfits or toggle it on and off.
Transmutation charges are for applying new skins to specific armor pieces, same as now.

Yes outfits are all or nothing.
Yes wearable in combat. There will be no non-combat equipment anymore, unless you count tonics.

Dear Devs, please tell your co-workers that I thank you!

I love this change so much!

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

Posted by: Aethyl.7519

Aethyl.7519

That wardrobe is an awesome addition, I won’t deny that, however, the way you handle the costume clothes is awful, really awful.

I will just put that as simply as I can … How can the first picture, the one showing why I actually got that wintersday outfit to begin with, can even be compared to that second one ?

It can’t. You are actually removing a feature that was here from launch, aka, the possibility to dye and mix and match out town clothes outfit.

I like my Charr to look classy, a shame, right ?

So, to satisfy some (a legitimate complaint, still), you are actually forgetting all those players that LOVE to customise their characters, buy some dyes to actually change the color of their town clothes, and buy many outfits to be able to switch the parts between them.

That’s not acceptable, in my opinion, as my wintersday outfit will basically be useless as soon as that update go live.

Bad move, in my opinion, very bad move, and it is just showing how Anet treats the RPers.

“Play the game as you wish to play it.”

A simple way to fix that would be to give the tonics, and allow us to keep our old customisable sets.

Especially since ALL THOSE SETS are gem store only.

Attachments:

(edited by Aethyl.7519)

Posted by: OtakuDFifty.2965

OtakuDFifty.2965

We’re going to be needing some specifics regarding what skins are tonics and what sets count as “costumes.” I bought the Braham set specifically for the female top and boots. Don’t you dare tell me I can’t have my maid outfit anymore!

Attachments:

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

New Heavy Armor for my guard.

Attachments:

Posted by: Backward Sass.6791

Backward Sass.6791

I’m one happy asura

I’m so jelly. I did’t buy those shades when they were still available.

Posted by: Lamont.5973

Lamont.5973

Nope, it sounds like the shorts and the shirts are going to be separate tonics so you won’t be able to wear them together or dye them and who knows if you will be able to wear the rabbit ears with tonics at all?

Posted by: Liraz.8062

Liraz.8062

Nope, you can’t do that. Both the shirt and the shorts are retired pieces that are going to be replaced by tonics, and only one tonic can be active at a time.

Firstwatch Irregular Company – RP, Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

I see this as a huge problem:
Many people (probably thousands, including me) bought duplicate sets of gem armors and gems to get duplicate sets of the very expensive dyes.

Now we spent REAL MONEY on stuff that is now rendered useless and will be compensated with a cheap uni dye (for dyes) or nothing (for armor wardrobe).

Seems totally unfair and if that is really the case, even if it is an improvement is for new comers, I’ll never touch this game again. Getting ripped off isn’t something I can approve.

Posted by: Bioanian.7016

Bioanian.7016

If all outfits are being downgraded to single piece sets. Then I say we should protest this downgrade by posting the creative personal styles we made by mix and matching towns clothes. I have a style I created with towns clothes, I do not want it taken away from me.

Aethyl.7519

If all outfits are being downgraded to single piece sets. Then I say we should protest this downgrade by posting the creative personal styles we made by mix and matching towns clothes. I have a style I created with towns clothes, I do not want it taken away from me.

I agree totally.

Liraz.8062

We’re going to be needing some specifics regarding what skins are tonics and what sets count as “costumes.” I bought the Braham set specifically for the female top and boots. Don’t you dare tell me I can’t have my maid outfit anymore!

The Braham set is an armor skin, and not a set of town clothes. They will not be affected by the conversation you see here about town clothes and tonics, though I agree with you that further clarification about all of this is sorely needed.

Posted by: Lycis.1843

Lycis.1843

Atleast you can wear the bunny ears, for the ladies..and the chef look for the commander. Embrace yourself! The new Clothes Meta is coming!

Posted by: Korossive.7085

Korossive.7085

Wait, please answer me, could I then buy reading glasses and transmute them over my light armor helm for battle (keeping the stats of course)? Will this be possible??

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

The endless tonic will grant the appearance of the clothing it replaced. (along with some appropriate complimentary pieces so you’re not naked). They are new tonics, not existing ones.

Only one tonic can be used at one time.

There will be no town-clothes swap any more.. so you won’t be switching to naked.

I hope the tonics are put in a collection tab, one that you can take items from unlimited times after you put one in, like with the PvP upgrades in the current PvP locker.
There’s plenty of untradable tonics, untradable miniatures and toys that should work like that too, so you don’t have to remember which character had a miniature after taking it out from the collection.

Even more, these toys and tonics and miniatures themselves should be moved from the collections tab and into a separate “Toys and tools” collection accessible from the bank.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Posted by: Fuzion.4193

Fuzion.4193

My role-play characters wear town clothes in place of their armor, specifically in the case of heavy armor wearers, since they don’t have hardly any “normal citizen” looks. Not everyone wants to play a hero in a sea of heroes. Some like to play supporting characters to the heroes and villains out there – and most importantly: Look the part.

All of my role-play characters have a set of town clothes that they don’t share. Same with gem-shop armor looks, too.

The ability to get my gems back from these now wasted items better be in the update. This is the one thing that makes me mad about some MMO developers, in that they don’t fully think through the changes they make and how it affects a player who has either spent a lot of real world money, or a lot of real world time to have it just thrown away at a developer’s whim.

I need to walk away from these forums, as my anger is surging just thinking about the loss of an important aspect to how I played my characters that did involve real world money and time. Hopefully the devs will realize the error they’re making on town clothes and come up with a different solution that doesn’t alienate a part of their player-base: Namely the role-players, which they have been so good at doing since release. I know it will be the straw that breaks the camel’s back for many of us.

Walks away

Posted by: BearJada.3295

BearJada.3295

Before you get too excited, you might want to check out the other wardrobe threads about this. There are outstanding questions out right now about town clothes and how they will be affected by this change. There’s a lot of conflicting information out there from Anet and some of us are waiting for more specific answers.

Posted by: medohgeuh.4650

medohgeuh.4650

Namely the role-players, which they have been so good at doing since release. I know it will be the straw that breaks the camel’s back for many of us.

I honestly can’t recall the last time I saw a roleplayer using town clothes, if ever.

I’m just glad I’ll finally be able to wear glasses with regular armor skins. That was all I ever wanted from the exclusive town clothing pieces.

Liraz.8062

I need to walk away from these forums, as my anger is surging just thinking about the loss of an important aspect to how I played my characters that did involve real world money and time. Hopefully the devs will realize the error they’re making on town clothes and come up with a different solution that doesn’t alienate a part of their player-base: Namely the role-players, which they have been so good at doing since release. I know it will be the straw that breaks the camel’s back for many of us.

I don’t think you need to be hyperbolic about this and speak for the entire roleplay community. Many of us are quite happy with the vast majority of the changes upcoming and are excited about them! I do not feel alienated as a roleplayer, though I am fully aware that few design decisions are made at ANet with our community in mind.

The design decisions regarding town clothes is a downer, though, no doubt, and it will negatively affect roleplayers more than the playerbase at large, given that we are more likely overall to have purchased and used town clothes given our style of play. I hope ANet will clarify and/or reconsider.

Posted by: Johasthan.1327

Johasthan.1327

Well, now I’m really “hyped” with this wardrobe system. Really cool. I was waiting for something like this for a long time. Visual customization is one of the most underrated things in MMOs, great to see this implemented here.

But, as many said, I don’t get why there is no chance to combine town clothes how you want. It make no sense, and endless tonics are not a good solution. I really don’t get why Anet gets into this trouble, specially when obtaining town clothes had cost gems what makes this a HUGE problem. And I don’t want a refund, I want to be able to use my “rider pants” with my female human. Anyways, people already gave examples, so it’s pointless to add mine.

As far as I understand after reading the anouncement and this topic, Anet combined the costumes in just one slot and removed the “Town Clothes” slots. If is designed like this I can imagine some of the problems of changing it in a short time, but it should be done sooner better than later. I can think on various solutions.

• Make every piece of town clothes usable as a skin for every type of armor piece, like how it seems to be working with head gear. This has one mayor problem, and is that it will probably cost Transmutation Charges with the current system. Anet should impement a system to make sure this pieces are free to apply.
  • Make a second set of slots only with this kind of armors, free to apply and with priority over the standard armor slots. I guess this can be easier to implement since there already exist the town clothes slots.
  • Give an option to create customs outfits with different parts and apply them as one. I believe this is the hardest way I can think of, but there will be no need to change the 1 slot costume.

Anyway, any solution will be better that the tonic and unified costumes. Please, at least think about it. Fix it and this will be even greater

Posted by: Noxxi.5947

Noxxi.5947

I have never ever complained about anything in the game… or about any patch, but if I won’t be able to combine my town clothes like this: http://i.imgur.com/d3OBTg2.png

I will be seriously disappointed and angry. Seriously this tonic thing makes no sense, why ruin something what worked well about town clothes…

Charr Guardian – Asura Mesmer
Leader of Serenity guild
Desolation

Posted by: Traced.3495

Traced.3495

I’m… just…

Why….

Attachments:

let the sky fall

Posted by: Howell Qagan.9752

Howell Qagan.9752

My role-play characters wear town clothes in place of their armor, specifically in the case of heavy armor wearers, since they don’t have hardly any “normal citizen” looks. Not everyone wants to play a hero in a sea of heroes. Some like to play supporting characters to the heroes and villains out there – and most importantly: Look the part.

All of my role-play characters have a set of town clothes that they don’t share. Same with gem-shop armor looks, too.

The ability to get my gems back from these now wasted items better be in the update. This is the one thing that makes me mad about some MMO developers, in that they don’t fully think through the changes they make and how it affects a player who has either spent a lot of real world money, or a lot of real world time to have it just thrown away at a developer’s whim.

Walks away

I don’t think it’s RPers only. I’m not a RPer and I love my town clothes.

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

So… I can’t wear shorts and shirt?

Liraz.8062

• Make every piece of town clothes usable as a skin for every type of armor piece, like how it seems to be working with head gear. This has one mayor problem, and is that it will probably cost Transmutation Charges with the current system. Anet should impement a system to make sure this pieces are free to apply.

I would be okay with the transmutation charge system for these items as well , given that they would be getting “upgraded” to be usable in combat.

Posted by: Awbee.8405

Awbee.8405

Besides the other obvious problems that were already mentioned, tonics are also doing nothing about the current alt-unfriendliness of town clothes.

When I read the changes, at first I thought “Yay, now I can finally buy town clothes because they’ll be unlocked on all my characters!” Seems like that’s not an option with tonics … so I won’t be buying any town clothes.

Posted by: Wote.3627

Wote.3627

First of all, I would like to make it clear that I am mostly pumped about this change. I tend to prefer the simpler-looking armors, and being able to put them over level 80 gear without needing to either put out real money or a ton of gold is going to be fantastic. The fact that you’re combining it with account-wide dyes is just the icing on a delicious cake.

However, I don’t understand why you can’t just incorporate individual clothing pieces into this same skin system. You’re clearly not concerned about covering up armor, since the outfits thing is also happening. And you’re obviously okay with us having access to the appearance, since this tonic thing is happening.

This update is a strong blow in favor of improving customization across the board. So, why reduce the customization options in one corner of the game?

The Tyria Wildlife Fund: Having absolutely nothing to do with the Cyborg Moa Incident since 1325 AE.

… Yes, we know that it happened in 1326 AE. We had that little to do with it. We swear.

Posted by: Fenrina.2954

Fenrina.2954

This is a pretty weak setup compared to what I’ve seen in other mmos. It’s fairly weak compared to their own currently existing setup. I’m not entirely sure why they can’t just remove the code that toggles appearance settings back to armor and then make sure weapons work in either mode.

It seems like this is more work for a weaker setup. I don’t understand why.

Posted by: Equilibriator.8741

Equilibriator.8741

i want to know what will happen to the devil horns that existed from the first haloween, they released them as a free purchase, in any quantity and i have one on pretty much every character. It is literally horns coming out of any characters forehead which is awesome (costume). What happens to somehting like this?

Posted by: Athena.3579

Athena.3579

I’m sorry, but I think this concept (specifically regarding the conversion of town clothes into tonics) needs to go back to the drawing board. That is extremely ridiculous. I wear my town clothes outside of towns very often — all of them mixed. I’ve also bought tons of, and duplicates of, the shorts, tops, and headgear. I even use the Dragon Shirt from before the game launched. I have a defined look that is the way I want to look. I didn’t dream that town clothes functionality would actually become worse. Please don’t do this. Make town clothes applicable individually rather than into tonics or do nothing at all to town clothes.

Attachments:

Posted by: whatsername.4128

whatsername.4128

Devs, please do not take the mix and matching for town clothes out of the game. I spent probably close to $30 on gems back in December (when you said you were taking them off the gem store) to nab what I wanted at the time for my characters JUST out of those items, and I’d really like to retain my ability to wear and dye them as I please across my account. I DO NOT want tonics that I have no control over what they look like be it the arbitrary pieces you think match with them or the dye schemes I probably will have no ability to change. I DO NOT want to be stuck with the entire default town clothes set either if I don’t wish to be (see the second image in the line up, my first move is ALWAYS to delete the shoes of the sylvari default town clothes because I hate them).

Don’t take away features that are already in the game, don’t take away content we already have. Its a step backwards it the middle of an update that I was otherwise thrilled to the point of happy tears about. If I want to run around Tyria barefoot in a hoodie and shorts in colors of MY choosing whenever I choose to, these town clothes that I paid for with gems bought with actual money, then I really think I should be able to retain that ability that I already have.

Attachments:

Tarnished Coast – [NeX] [SASS]
Avalise [Sylvari Thief]

(edited by whatsername.4128)

Posted by: Bioanian.7016

Bioanian.7016

i want to know what will happen to the devil horns that existed from the first haloween, they released them as a free purchase, in any quantity and i have one on pretty much every character. It is literally horns coming out of any characters forehead which is awesome (costume). What happens to somehting like this?

From what I understand and how it looks like in the video. All towns clothes head peices . Hat horns sunglasses and what not. Are being converted into armor skins. and how it sounds here Towns clothes that are sold in a set like chef uniform and the pirate uniform are being downgraded into a one piece only set while stuff like the hoodies are being turned into tonics.

At first I thought the idea of wearing towns clothes over armor is cool for Rp reasons but seeing it sounds like all towns clothes are being forged into one piece sets. This isnt a upgrade on towns clothes. THIS IS A DOWNGRADE ON TOWNS CLOTHES!

Posted by: Chellae.8401

Chellae.8401

Please think this through for a single second. I’ve been mixing and matching, as well as dying, various town clothing pieces for as long as I remember. Are you seriously taking that functionality away?
I’ve been running around in this for many, MANY hours alltogether: http://i.imgur.com/fQKKlSQ.jpg But I no longer can because of this unnecessary change? I spent a lot of real money on items, including items that are no longer available on the gem store, to keep using them, mixing and matching them. Which I still do to this day.

Sorry, but if this is going the way I think it is, it either has to change, or I -will- demand refunds for these items, and then proceed to no longer have the looks I’ve loved having for so long on my characters.

Aethyl.7519

Devs, please do not take the mix and matching for town clothes out of the game. I spent probably close to $30 on gems back in December to nab what I wanted at the time for my characters JUST out of those items, and I’d really like to retain my ability to wear and dye them as I please across my account. I DO NOT want tonics that I have no control over what they look like be it the arbitrary pieces you think match with them or the dye schemes I probably will have no ability to change. I DO NOT want to be stuck with the entire default town clothes set either if I don’t wish to be (see the second image in the line up, my first move is ALWAYS to delete the shoes of the sylvari default town clothes because I hate them).

Don’t take away features that are already in the game, don’t take away content we already have. Its a step backwards it the middle of an update that I was otherwise thrilled to the point of happy tears about. If I want to run around Tyria barefoot in a hoodie and shorts in colors of MY choosing whenever I choose to, these town clothes that I paid for with gems bought with actual money, then I really think I should be able to retain that ability that I already have.

I agree with everything you said.

Attachments:

Posted by: cinemapaula.8673

cinemapaula.8673

Agreed with so many here. I will be one of the HUGE amounts of people requesting a refund if townclothes are implemented as ‘All or nothing’ tonics, since many of them, I purchased for just ONE PIECE. Not dyeable? Nope. I’d rather have my money back.

Posted by: Wubdor.5190

Wubdor.5190

“All or nothing” is something cannot comprehend. I simply cannot. It makes no sense. Why not just add them to the wardrobe as separate pieces? I do not wear full outfits. I mix them, just like most (if not all) other players.
I too will be requesting refunds if this isn’t fixed, and I really prefer not to. Not only do I want to support Arenanet with my purchases, but I wish to keep my looks. All of the changes are really nice, but this one not so much.

(edited by Wubdor.5190)

Aethyl.7519

Especially since it’s an “All of nothing” that can’t even be dyed, because tonics.

Posted by: Wubdor.5190

Wubdor.5190

This is just the sylvari cultural dyeing system all over again. Please, stop changing what is already in the game. You will cause a you-know-what-storm among the players who paid money for this.

Posted by: Lucentfir.7430

Lucentfir.7430

With the incoming changes to Town clothing being allI have a few questions. Question one, for those of us who bought multiple of the same item such as the Khaki Shorts, and other outfits, will they all be transformed into tonics, or is it going to be infinite withdraw from the wardrobe.(in this case having whatever multiple of said town clothing becomes redundant?) If that’s the case is there going to be a chance fore refund?

Second question, will these tonics allow you to hide the certain pieces?, and will there be any hope of mix and matching?(for original single pieces and sets of town clothing.) Also will these tonics be timed to wear off and put on a CD like the Watchwork Tonic?

Reth Grimrazor – Charr Guardian – [GWB]Grim Warband – Tarnished Coast
Redgen Furyblaze – Charr Guardian – [SHD]Shade Warband – Tarnished Coast
Lerious Warhowl – Charr Warrior – [SHD] Shade Warband – Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Dr Ritter.1327

Dr Ritter.1327

CAN I WEAR A SANTA HAT WITH MY ARMOR IN COMBAT LIKE GW1?

The Paragon
[KICK] You’re out of the Guild
#beastgate

Liraz.8062

CAN I WEAR A SANTA HAT WITH MY ARMOR IN COMBAT LIKE GW1?

The answer appears to be yes. Headgear appears to be exempted from the tonic treatment, and is being treated as a potential skin for all armor classes.

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

I’m confused. I currently have the kahki shorts on my Norn, when this change is made is it going to be replaced by a tonic? Will that Tonic just replace the pants on my character with the shorts or will or will it now change all my clothes with something they think goes with the shorts?

Also I bought glasses for several of my characters, are they becoming tonics? will it swap all my clothes just because I want to put some glasses on?

Liraz.8062

I’m confused. I currently have the kahki shorts on my Norn, when this change is made is it going to be replaced by a tonic? Will that Tonic just replace the pants on my character with the shorts or will or will it now change all my clothes with something they think goes with the shorts?

If I understand correctly, it will change your clothes to something that they think goes with the shorts. I base this understanding on the following dev quote:

The endless tonic will grant the appearance of the clothing it replaced. (along with some appropriate complimentary pieces so you’re not naked). They are new tonics, not existing ones.