GW2 Sneak Peek @ PAX South.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

http://south.paxsite.com/schedule/panel/guild-wars-2-beyond-the-point-of-no-return

Guild Wars 2: Beyond the Point of No Return
Join ArenaNet president and co-founder Mike O’Brien and Guild Wars 2 game director Colin Johanson for an exclusive sneak peek at what’s next in Guild Wars 2 and be among the first to hear how we’re setting up a new framework for how an MMO can grow its universe. The Living World was just the beginning.

PANELISTS:
Mike O’Brien [President and Co-Founder, ArenaNet], Colin Johanson [Guild Wars 2 Director, ArenaNet]

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Cool. Sounds interesting.

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

The Living World was just the beginning.

…interesting.

Posted by: slamfunction.7462

slamfunction.7462

But i wonder if they’;ll give us a productive roadmap or a brief interview of what is coming out that week in the actual game? OR, possibly more pictures of an Abbaddon statue that does nothing. OH THE EXCITEMENT IS EXHILARATING!!!!

Edit: Please note the sarcasm in this post.

Arena Nets are used to catch Gladiator Fish.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

I think they’ll say vague things about the future that don’t really promise anything. Maybe show some concept art, but not say what it is or when it will appear, if ever.

And then mutter a disclaimer at the end.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

Can we at least wait and see before airing negative, and sarcastic, comments?

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: SkylightMoon.1980

SkylightMoon.1980

The Living World was just the beginning.

…interesting.

Living Universe confirmed. Everyday releases, more trahearne, cooler gemstore hats.

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

Guess not. . . .

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: Black Frog.9274

Black Frog.9274

Blind faith, best faith.

I Like to Run Randomly Around the Map

Palador.2170

…. no?

Sorry, but so long as their policy of not talking about the future of the game is still in place, they CAN’T say anything big. Pretending they’re going to is just a farce, and everyone knows it.

It doesn’t matter if they’re secretly cracking genetics problems and planning to clone charr buddies for all their players, they can’t talk about it due to their policy. All they can give is, at best, vague hints of anything more than a week or two out. We can either laugh about it, or get upset about it. Personally, I’d rather laugh.

Posted by: Muchacho.2390

Muchacho.2390

Can we hope for an expansion?

Probably not…

Posted by: Levian.7683

Levian.7683

Mike O’Brien and Colin Johanson will be here! This is something HUGE!!!
This is just few days after end of season 2!!!

EXPANSION!!! <3

Can You Keep a Secret?

Posted by: HykCraft.4610

HykCraft.4610

Expansion… lol yeah right!

Sorrow’s Furnace US

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

I’m excited to have something to look forward to, although it’s too vague to get -very- excited about it. Just gotta wait and see.

It seems unlikely that they’d bill an expansion as “setting up a new framework for how an MMO can grow its universe,” but “the Living World was just the beginning” suggests that they’re not just going to go onto Season 3 in the same pattern as Season 2.

I’m intrigued, if for no more reason than I’ve been waiting for any kind of roadmap for a while. As long as it doesn’t boil down to a teaser trailer, it’ll at least give us something to chew on.

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

Posted by: Zoso.8279

Zoso.8279

Season 2 better then season one (haven’t played season 1 but thats the general opinion on the forums) some ppl actually like some of the changes that were made wow who would have ever thought of that?!?! Im excited @BlackFrog and its not based on blind faith its based on what i’ve seen so far. If you don’t like everything that has been added then sorry but a lot of people really do like them. What do I like? TP updates PvP updates new explorable zone (higher replay value) and the lore I actually like I haven’t finished the new episode but thats because PvP has got me hooked HotM is where I’ve spent the majority of my time atm. Improvements are always good blind faith and destructive pessimism are both bad in general.

Edit

Want to make clear I’m also with everyone who want an expansion. If they released one tomorrow best believe i’d buy it. But LS is still nice and I like to have something to look forward too every few weeks.

Necromancer Main

(edited by Zoso.8279)

Posted by: Harbinger.8637

Harbinger.8637

At least they got the title right. Not expecting much, hopefully I’m wrong.

Attachments:

Guardian WvW Guide!
Heavens Rage

Posted by: Copestetic.5174

Copestetic.5174

I’m not going to bother speculating what they’re planning. It seems that the community over-speculates and gets the hype level sky high, only to be completely blown away at the pure blandness of whatever it is that’s getting so much hype.

Posted by: Celtus.8456

Celtus.8456

At least they got the title right. Not expecting much, hopefully I’m wrong.

QFT. The two guys in charge of the game are going to grace us with their once-yearly appearance as they ceremoniously re-inflate the hype balloon with their hot air. Hope I’m proven wrong.

Josre
Zulu Ox Tactics [zulu]

(edited by Celtus.8456)

Posted by: Sindex.9520

Sindex.9520

In honesty it could be anything. They could announce the living story has done so well that they will be going on to making episodic content for GW2, instead of an expansion. You will have to pay for small bouts of content. However all the major core content will still be free (skills, traits, professions, and so on).

Or they could kill the hype by saying how much the living story has improved (only gained positive and nothing negative), so that is the only content delivery system they will do from now on. Though when someone brings up Dungeons, SAB, Cantha, more fractals, expanded PvP/WvW, and so forth. They go into their good ol’ reclusive answer “nothing is off the table” bit. Basically they cover everything we have known for the last 2 years.

Posted by: Vix.6730

Vix.6730

I hope this is the announcement we’ve all been waiting for. Likely it isn’t, but one can hope.

Posted by: HykCraft.4610

HykCraft.4610

They will probably just announce that instead of every 2 weeks of content, it will be every week… because Living Story was just the beginning… 2 years ago.

Sorrow’s Furnace US

Posted by: nightwulf.1986

nightwulf.1986

…. no?

Sorry, but so long as their policy of not talking about the future of the game is still in place, they CAN’T say anything big. Pretending they’re going to is just a farce, and everyone knows it.

It doesn’t matter if they’re secretly cracking genetics problems and planning to clone charr buddies for all their players, they can’t talk about it due to their policy. All they can give is, at best, vague hints of anything more than a week or two out. We can either laugh about it, or get upset about it. Personally, I’d rather laugh.

I never understood their position to be that they won’t talk about the future of the game or that they can’t say anything big. It’s always been that they will discuss the future of the game on their release schedule. If they planned for a press release ahead of time, odds are there aren’t any huge spoilers in it and they can control the flow of information. Example being, we were told we were getting living story season 2 some time ago. No more, no less. That was the info we had to work on. We asked for what was coming beyond that and the content of such, they said they can’t comment on that. We asked if they planned on releasing very specific things we wanted, they said they can’t comment on that (although that’s not entirely true depending on what the subject was but again, they wouldn’t go into detail). There is a difference between not talking about the future and controlling the release of information. They can botch whatever it is they plan on saying but it sounds like a scripted release, so it’s kind of hard to do. Kind of. (Looking at you Squenix.)

That being said, I too am curious what is going to be released. The way they phrased it suggests that they have been tinkering with a new content release system. Maybe.

Posted by: DragonWhimsy.6489

DragonWhimsy.6489

Guys, you’re not seeing the big picture here. They’re not sending the president of the company, along with Colin Johanson, and renting the main theater for the morning for the usual stuff. This is going to be something different.

Whatever this ends up being, it’s what the majority of ANet has been working on for more than two years most likely. Or at least a significant portion of it. At the very least it’s going to define our GW2 experience for 2015.

Whether it blows us away or is a huge disappointment, it’s going to be huge one way or another.

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

heh.. now im actually curios whats coming…

Posted by: Thanatos.2691

Thanatos.2691

I’ll be sure to pay attention to this exclusive sneak peek.

Golden shackles are still golden.

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

“be among the first to hear how we’re setting up a new framework for how an MMO can grow its universe. The Living World was just the beginning.”

Seven words. I’ll believe it when I see it.

Considering how the game launched, what didn’t happen 9 months ago and most recently, there’s a track record here.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Palador.2170

Guys, you’re not seeing the big picture here. They’re not sending the president of the company, along with Colin Johanson, and renting the main theater for the morning for the usual stuff. This is going to be something different.

Whatever this ends up being, it’s what the majority of ANet has been working on for more than two years most likely. Or at least a significant portion of it. At the very least it’s going to define our GW2 experience for 2015.

Whether it blows us away or is a huge disappointment, it’s going to be huge one way or another.

Perhaps they’ve decided that they can’t do with GW2 what they wanted to do, so they’re going to announce a new, non-GW game with their new take on advancing MMOs in it.

Posted by: Mental Paradox.3845

Mental Paradox.3845

This is actually looking quite interesting. I’ll keep my eye on PAX South.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I’ve said, a few times now, that I think that Anet is waiting to release information till the time is right to maximize attention.

Those following the forums are going to hear anything anyway, but if Anet wants to grow the game, they’ve got to appeal to more than just followers of the game.

So they wait until the hype over the WoW expansion is done. They wait until a show like PAX to maximize exposure. Or the ten year anniversary. One of those two things. Something with more coverage, that brings more people to the game, as well as people back to the game.

I guess we’ll see in January if this is the time, but my money is still on April for some big announcement.

Posted by: Khalic.3561

Khalic.3561

The hype train… is currently undergoing maintenance and will not be leaving the station.

Khyla Shadowsong ~ Charr Ele, Engi, Mes, Ranger, Guard, Thief, War, Necro
Northern Shiverpeaks ~ [dO] Drop Otter

Posted by: DragonWhimsy.6489

DragonWhimsy.6489

Not only is the WoW expansion out of the way, but every major expansion and new MMO is out of the way too. Well with the exception of FFXIV’s expansion.

What if the 10 year anniversary is when they RELEASE what they announce at PAX South?

This is ANet. This isn’t going to be an announce something and then wait a year for it to come out. Once announced it will only be a couple of months away going by their recent history.

Posted by: Kartel.2561

Kartel.2561

As somebody who, for a long time now, has been dissatisfied with the lack of new content/features, I must say I’m greatly looking forward to PAX South.

It’s even in my own city, but unfortunately sold out. I usually avoid downtown like the plague, but for this, I think I would have gone. But oh well, I guess I’ll check the interwebs like most everyone else.

I make no assumptions about what will be revealed other than apparently Anet considers it a big enough deal to take an hour and a half at a major conference to tell us about it. I’m sure it won’t be everything I’ve ever hoped for (but hopefully at least some though?). Whatever it is, it’s at least something new, and of much greater significance than your average LS patch.

Mike and Colin, thank you for planning to visit SATX, though I won’t get to see you. This jaded old fan is eager to be impressed and once again feel like I have something to be excited about. You guys just come kick some kitten at the show and I’ll try to keep the unfounded expectations to a minimum while I wait. Would it be unreasonable to hope we start hearing more from you folks going forward?

Guild: Everlasting Sacred Path [ESP]
Server: Tarnished Coast

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Do people really think that they would take 1,5 hours on the MAIN STAGE for not telling us anything?

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Bandit.8279

Bandit.8279

As somebody who, for a long time now, has been dissatisfied with the lack of new content/features, I must say I’m greatly looking forward to PAX South.

Lack of new content? 3 new maps, Fractals, dungeon path, EoTM, armor/weapon skins, new gemstore items, LS1 & 2, festivals and new crafting levels are what I can think of off the top of my head.

MMO’s typically don’t put out much content within their first couple of years as it’s spent smoothing over the game and putting in things that were promised but missed at launch. Yet we got all of the above for free!

Maybe you’re new to the MMO world but your expectations need to be checked. Now if the current pace of content continues than next year I might be joining you.

Also, check message boards and forums for spare tickets. You can usually find them as people’s plans change and what not.

Fools N Gold [FNG] of Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

For all the negativity in this thread, I will mention three things:

1. The silent treatment is typically reserved for interviews and, more of, forum posts. This is PAX South, and more importantly, this is in the main theater. This wouldn’t be in the main theater if it was something small like beating around the bush that we’ve been getting for a year or so.
  2. Arenanet has told us – with a recent (weeks ago) reaffirmation by Massively – that they have big background projects going on since at least January 2014 (planned, that is). This is likely it.
  3. Given the wording, it isn’t going to be a traditional expansion (or other traditional means of content release for MMOs), nor will it be more Living World (aka Season 3). It’s something else.

Whether this turns out to be something grand or something poor… We will have to see.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Posted by: Ragnar.4257

Ragnar.4257

Do people really think that they would take 1,5 hours on the MAIN STAGE for not telling us anything?

Umm, yeah?

True, 90 minutes of only using the words “excited”, “share”, “opportunity” and “definitely something we’re looking at” is not a task to be taken lightly, but they’ve had plenty of practice. Frankly, verbal-contortionism of that quality deserves a stage.

[Scnd][TA][Dius][aX]

(edited by Ragnar.4257)

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

Cantha? Expansion? Finally Precursor crafting? New dungeons and ftactals with increased difficulty? New WvW map? New sPvP game modes?

Nope.
Just another episode of living story.
Woo.
I’m begging for them to prove me wrong though.

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

I think season one was way better than season 2. I feel like nothing has happened in season 2 at all. I love silverwaste though

Nick.6972

I liked Siverwastes, interestingly designed map, was fun for about 3-4 hours and then I left and ever returned, just like that other map.
There’s nothing to do on those maps unless you want to AP farm or zerg.

Posted by: Eric.6109

Eric.6109

I’m so excited and I just can’t hide it

a.net: I will not be buying gems with cash until you fix traits.

Posted by: Liz.1497

Liz.1497

Idk what they’re going to announce or not going to announce, but as someone who has organized conventions in the past I can promise you that the size of the announcement has nothing to do with the room the organizers put them in. It’s the con that sets the schedule and does the room-planning, not the gaming companies, and the organizers of the con dont usually know what the panels are going to be about in detail. Also, high caliber people attending the same convention doesn’t really have to mean anything either – it’s usually a matter of who the organizers invite, offer to pay for, and what the scheduling of the company is like.

Again, not saying they’re not announcing anything – just don’t get your hopes up over things that very likely mean nothing.

Posted by: butch.8136

butch.8136

Anet loves to (try) innovate.
“New framework for how an MMO can grow its universe. The Living World was just the beginning.”

There’ll be an uproar, that’s for sure. Hopefully a positive one. I’m excited to see what they’ve come up with.

Edit: Maybe we’ll know what these guys are doing at Anet —> http://intrinsicalgorithm.com/IANews/2014/04/now-consulting-at-arenanet-on-guild-wars-2/

Razor xxxx (Desolation ; Off)
Bring back: ‘Gamer’ title + MAT’s!
Throw out: Hotjoin!

(edited by butch.8136)

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

I liked Siverwastes, interestingly designed map, was fun for about 3-4 hours and then I left and ever returned, just like that other map.

theres really no zerging or AP farming on SW, dry top as well for that matter. Its actually the complete opposite. The maps force you to seperate and take care of events all over the map as often as possible in order for you to get the proper reward. I hope more of the maps in the future are like this, SW is extremely rewarding it feels like a giant dungeon and I love it. The mobs are actually difficult to the point that I barely melee anything there. Sad you spent such a short amount of time in the best part of the game

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

theres really no zerging or AP farming on SW, dry top as well for that matter. Its actually the complete opposite. The maps force you to seperate and take care of events all over the map as often as possible in order for you to get the proper reward. I hope more of the maps in the future are like this, SW is extremely rewarding it feels like a giant dungeon and I love it. The mobs are actually difficult to the point that I barely melee anything there. Sad you spent such a short amount of time in the best part of the game

This is true. Those who zerg in those maps miss out. And long after I have all the AP I can get from Dry Top I still return there.

Posted by: Schwarzseher.9873

Schwarzseher.9873

The Living world was just the beginning……..
By the six, brace yourself for another NPE and more grind.

Nick.6972

Sad you spent such a short amount of time in the best part of the game

I don’t play MMOs for lore, I play the for engaging group content, like Fractals or WvW.
None of those two have received anything in 2014.

Posted by: Baldrick.8967

Baldrick.8967

More likely it will be..tired of endless backpacks? fear not! this year we bring you as rewards…hats! Zero stats, but make your toon look cool…

WvW player. Doing another world completion for my next Legendary. Hater of mini-games.

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

I firmly believe that Colin and Mike will be announcing a fix to one of Guild War Universe’s greatest problems: Anatomically correct female charr.

Attachments:

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

My guess, no boxed expansion . So those that need that $59.99 price tag to be comfortable with what an expansion means are out of luck.
Based on
how we’re setting up a new framework for how an MMO can grow its universe

EDIT: Just in case of misinterpretation I will be really, really happy if they go this route rather than boxed.

(edited by Yargesh.4965)

Posted by: Torsailr.8456

Torsailr.8456

Given their track record for releases and their policy of not talking about the future? Absolutely.

The last two feature packs they spent weeks trying to hype them up with daily posts about something. Most of the posts did some combination of: padding word count with teasers, splitting information into two smaller posts when one would have made more sense, or blatantly repeated themselves.

In interviews they frequently state they can’t talk about something because it may or may not be in development. And based on Mike’s communication post, he genuinely believes not talking about what’s in development is the best course for the company to take. I don’t think this is something that will change with this presentation.

I think we’ll get:

• a high level overview of a few concepts they’ve been working on but no details about how those concepts will translate into actual features.
  • some hype and maybe a trailer for the next LS episode.
  • and 45 minutes of Q&A where the audience will ask everything that’s been asked on the forums that will get the same answers: either it’s not happening or they can’t talk about it.

End result is we really don’t get any new information and Anet gets something to point to and say they did communicate with us.

But them I’m a cynical kittenclown. For all I know we’ll get lots of puppies and rainbows.