Game Updates: Traits

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

Step 1.) Admit a mistake.
Step 2.) Revert to old trait system.

This new trait system would’ve been fine, if they only limited it to the newest traits that came out with it. Having all the traits needing to be unlocked was ridiculous.

Posted by: Kohlteth.3715

Kohlteth.3715

LOL 28 pages on a thread that Anet merged to get feedback and all we have is player feedback, not one ANET employee apart from a Mod erasing posts…..

Why bother asking for feedback if not going to give any back when you get it ??

Posted by: Relshdan.6854

Relshdan.6854

the trait system is a complete failure.

it makes leveling less interesting (due to having less customization as you go and easier mobs to compensate). the requirements aren’t even aligned with the level you can equip a trait.

players will NOT bother unlocking or buying the lesser known “non-meta build” traits, unless its by accident. so you’ve managed to discourage build experimentation by new players even more than the limited content/mob AI already does.

it simply serves as a gold sink to bankrolled players who already know what builds they are going to run on their alts.

Chaos Organ (Ele), Pistol Opera (Thief), Modular Man (Eng)
MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Camulus Prime.2765

Camulus Prime.2765

I don’t normally post on the forums. But I had to about the recent trait change. This is a complete disaster! I have never been so disappointed with a game change.

I started a new alt a couple of weeks ago and decided to lvl and get some traits. I gave it a good try but the tasks to unlock most of the traits are ridiculous. For one example, I get into WvW to unlock the off-hand ranger trait and get run down from behind several times in a row. I don’t see why they think this is fun. The old way was much better.

Now its a big gold sink for vets and a complete loss for new players. Please change the trait system back to the old method.

Posted by: Snorcha.7586

Snorcha.7586

gold sink, revert.

Posted by: Chewablesleeptablet.3185

Chewablesleeptablet.3185

Yes please revert… I bet this idea of going out into the world to unlock these traits sounded great on paper , but in actual practice it is just very annoying.

Kohlteth.3715

Yes please revert… I bet this idea of going out into the world to unlock these traits sounded great on paper , but in actual practice it is just very annoying.

The cost works for lvl 80’s or people with alts at max, but for new people the new system sucks, having to go to higher lvl areas or WvW to get traits for 30’s , plus having to use SP that new people need while leveling, takes away the flexability that GW2 promised ….

Posted by: Lostyus.4250

Lostyus.4250

With the trait patch when they said it would increase experimentation, they were either blatantly lying (way to treat your customers Anet) or it shows how little they understand their game and how this trait patch would decrease experimentation.

Either one would be very worrying.

Posted by: Smith.1826

Smith.1826

With the trait patch when they said it would increase experimentation, they were either blatantly lying (way to treat your customers Anet) or it shows how little they understand their game and how this trait patch would decrease experimentation.

Well they’re technically right: Max level players with the traits unlocked no longer have to deal with being charged for respecs. So, in some way, yes, experimentation is a bit more encouraged.

Posted by: CrashTestAuto.9108

CrashTestAuto.9108

Indeed, and the lack of communication isn’t helping. At this stage, even if tomorrow they came out and undid the whole thing, it would still be a case of “Thanks, but would it really have hurt to say SOMETHING in the last two and a half months?”

I love the game, but despite pouring huge amounts of money into free content (which I also love), ANet are still managing to make me feel like I’m not valued as a customer. Literally paying one person to spend a couple of hours on the forum and giving some insight would fix this.

Of course the usual response is that “People will always find a reason to complain.” Well, yes they will, but that isn’t a justification to give them legitimate reason to do so.

Posted by: Scientia.8924

Scientia.8924

Indeed, and the lack of communication isn’t helping. At this stage, even if tomorrow they came out and undid the whole thing, it would still be a case of “Thanks, but would it really have hurt to say SOMETHING in the last two and a half months?”

I love the game, but despite pouring huge amounts of money into free content (which I also love), ANet are still managing to make me feel like I’m not valued as a customer. Literally paying one person to spend a couple of hours on the forum and giving some insight would fix this.

Of course the usual response is that “People will always find a reason to complain.” Well, yes they will, but that isn’t a justification to give them legitimate reason to do so.

Agreed, Anet asks for feedback from the players but screws them over by introducing a major catch to it, under the premise “well, you guys did ask for change”. The easiest implemented is usually permanently changing item/currency availability.

The dumbest part is they took the hardest ‘currency’ in the game to acquire (in that Skills Points are unbuyable/untradeable), and applied it to SLOW DOWN the most important aspect to ANY player, in ANY game – sense of progression.

Why don’t we make 4 year college degrees take 8 years instead? Students will feel MUCH more accomplished in the end, right?

If you’re going to ask for feedback, the next logical step would be to check back with the community before you finalize that change. Players kittened at the current trait system and leaving GW2 for other games could have been avoided.

Players are watching carefully what will happen tomorrow. Unfortunately no feedback up to now means we should assume 1. They’re not changing traits yet or 2. They’ll change it but twist what we asked for again for the THIRD time

What if HoT turns out to be the Mordrem Invasion event, x100?

Posted by: Excursion.9752

Excursion.9752

I like the “idea” but not with such specificity. Traits should not require you to do something that can not be done all the time. You should not have to wait for a specific event to start. I would like to see something more along the lines of finish “X” amount of events, hearts, POI in this “X” zone. To be honest this system turned me off of the game. I have come back for season 2 but I will not be trying to get any new traits for any of my alts nor do I want to make a new character knowing the current road ahead. That’s just my take on the whole situation.

| 80 (Guardian) Rusty Tooth | 80 (Warrior) Razer Tooth | 80 (Ranger) Eir Stegallkin |
| 80 (Mesmer) Brook Envision | 80 (Thief) Kuro Rin |

Kohlteth.3715

29 pages and still no feedback fron Anet on a thread they asked for Feedback on …….

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Thread was locked, then unlocked. Interesting… but quite likely just a misclick as they dealt with another thread.

I guess the update tomorrow is really the last chance to answer this before other parts of the game start rolling again. There may be some minor changes to the tasks required for some unlocks, but I doubt the real problems will be addressed at all. I guess we’ll see soon enough.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: fauXnetiX.6459

fauXnetiX.6459

fingerz xrossed 4 2morrow.

Posted by: Daggos Skelito.2910

Daggos Skelito.2910

I guess the update tomorrow is really the last chance to answer this before other parts of the game start rolling again. There may be some minor changes to the tasks required for some unlocks, but I doubt the real problems will be addressed at all. I guess we’ll see soon enough.

I’m sure a hugh amount of players are waiting for July 1st to see what happens. This will not go away until Anet addresses this issue. From the way players are talking, no more alts, stop gem store purchase, be in their best interest to fix this problem and soon.

Posted by: Sinner B.8592

Sinner B.8592

I agree that there needs to be changes made to the new trait unlock system, however the concept would have been a nice addition to the game, were it not so much of a grind. There is always the argument that “Gw2 players are always saying that there is nothing to do, and now that there is, people are in offence to the changes (make up your minds people)” I disagree with this notion and to that I say, no, this was not something new to do, this is forcing old and stale content upon the players.
Furthermore, if the current unlock missions were to persist, I suggest removing the skill point cost from trait guides, (as has been said multiple times by other posts) in order to add a reward for doing content in general (voluntary content), as players could farm the gold and unlock desired traits when they have saved up. Also this would reward older player for have saved up and also increase gem sales.
I also am unclear as to why the majority of the missions, specifically the adept tier traits, are group content based, as newer players are far less likely to have access to that kind of help. Thus will be halted in terms of progress because of this dependence on other players. (Which is the precise reason this game does not have a healer)
I would love to be playing content made for traits, regardless of length/grindy-ness, provided that the unlocks were account-bound. (Also as previously mentioned by other posts) As this would make the unlocks feel much more worthwhile. And remove a lot of repetitiveness if I were to create future characters.
ArenaNet, I implore you to make these changes, as the previous patch was a majority “Quality of Life” patch and almost the opposite has been done in terms of the newer players.

Posted by: Emapudapus.1307

Emapudapus.1307

Why does guardian have 2 same traits in zeal traitline, XII and XIII, both increasing burning damage? I mean …. who designes these traits x.x .

all is vain

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

Why does guardian have 2 same traits in zeal traitline, XII and XIII, both increasing burning damage? I mean …. who designes these traits x.x .

- Trait XII Kindled Zeal: Gain condition damage based on your power. (All codition damage ups 13% of what you have in power)
- Trait XIII Amplified Wrath: Burning damage is increased. (Fire Damage ups 33%)

Maby you should read them better? They are pretty far from the same thing.
I can’t figure out a build to use Trait XII with though but maby if you go with with rampager stats and have sigil of earth, generocity and/or Torment. Something like that.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

(edited by EdgarMTanaka.7291)

Posted by: Phillip.9318

Phillip.9318

Can the trait system be changed back to the old one? The best park of the game was making a new character, learning the skills and playing around with builds. Now I don’t even want to make new characters anymore because it is to much grind to get new traits. Hope living world is good otherwise I need a new game.

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

No news about traits means I won’t be buying gems. I didn’t buy TSW in the Steam sale because I was still holding out hope that ANET would fix this. I guess it was too much to ask for.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Posted by: TheBandit.7031

TheBandit.7031

No news about traits means I won’t be buying gems. I didn’t buy TSW in the Steam sale because I was still holding out hope that ANET would fix this. I guess it was too much to ask for.

Anet doesn’t give two hoots about feedback.

Posted by: PookieDaWombat.6209

PookieDaWombat.6209

OK, so new test.

I think I’ve gotten to a point with my new guardian that i know roughly what i might be dropping in gold for traits, but that’s not realistic because i have gold to burn.

So I’m pulling a wooden potatoes and doing a soft reset on my account and leaving myself without access to that gold or mats or anything else like that and going to try a new toon straight from the beginning with no bonuses except for those that are now account bound. Let’s see just how easy or fun it is for a new player.

[OTR] – Greck Howlbane – Guardian
Soraya Mayhew – Thief
Melissa Koris – Engie – SF for Life!

Posted by: Zach.3264

Zach.3264

OK, so new test.

I think I’ve gotten to a point with my new guardian that i know roughly what i might be dropping in gold for traits, but that’s not realistic because i have gold to burn.

So I’m pulling a wooden potatoes and doing a soft reset on my account and leaving myself without access to that gold or mats or anything else like that and going to try a new toon straight from the beginning with no bonuses except for those that are now account bound. Let’s see just how easy or fun it is for a new player.

I made a new Guardian a couple weeks ago and crafted to 80, I’ve been running the same build since. Getting the new traits is an absolute chore and having the “just buy them” option isn’t as easy as it sounds. It’s also very tedious to get the skill points.

Have you tried rolling a mesmer since the trait patch?
They were the worst class to level by far before the patch. They only got good when they hit 40 and access to decent traits. The update now, has made them close to unplayable.

PookieDaWombat.6209

OK, so new test.

I made a new Guardian a couple weeks ago and crafted to 80, I’ve been running the same build since. Getting the new traits is an absolute chore and having the “just buy them” option isn’t as easy as it sounds. It’s also very tedious to get the skill points.

They were the worst class to level by far before the patch. They only got good when they hit 40 and access to decent traits. The update now, has made them close to unplayable.

I used to hate leveling a mez as well. i might make the tester a necro though.

Soraya Mayhew – Thief

Posted by: fauXnetiX.6459

fauXnetiX.6459

So the patch notes don’t indicated any changes to the “improved” trait system…

GL.

Posted by: Ishbaal.1503

Ishbaal.1503

I play mainly WvW. then dungeons, then spvp.

Played since first beta. Have an 80 of every class. At the start of the game I made my main toon(a mesmer) as fast as possible. Sadly i made a huge mistake and made him as a charr. Finally decided i was tired of the tons of armor that looks horrid on my char so decided to make a new human mez to replace him…

Hit level 30 yesterday saw the new trait in all its glory for the first time(all other toons had all traits unlocked already).. and have decided its not worth my time to even finish him because of this trait system. I also probably would of been completely turned off the game back at the start if this had been in.

Map completion has always been boring for me and only 1 toon of my 8 even has 100%(the rest all have between 10%-40%). To have to manually unlock each trait is just impossible for me, I would only grab the key triats that i know are most important.

Also, spending the kind of gold and sps that would be required to just skip the searching is kind of crazy. I never would of made 8 different classes in this system if i would of even finished 1.

Posted by: Simmu.9405

Simmu.9405

Dont think they are going to change the trait system

Posted by: KStudios.2850

KStudios.2850

I play mainly WvW. then dungeons, then spvp.

Played since first beta. Have an 80 of every class. At the start of the game I made my main toon(a mesmer) as fast as possible. Sadly i made a huge mistake and made him as a charr. Finally decided i was tired of the tons of armor that looks horrid on my char so decided to make a new human mez to replace him…

Hit level 30 yesterday saw the new trait in all its glory for the first time(all other toons had all traits unlocked already).. and have decided its not worth my time to even finish him because of this trait system. I also probably would of been completely turned off the game back at the start if this had been in.

Map completion has always been boring for me and only 1 toon of my 8 even has 100%(the rest all have between 10%-40%). To have to manually unlock each trait is just impossible for me, I would only grab the key triats that i know are most important.

Also, spending the kind of gold and sps that would be required to just skip the searching is kind of crazy. I never would of made 8 different classes in this system if i would of even finished 1.

My main points exactly. I mainly PvP/WvW. Have no interest in boring mapping on EVERY character. Gimme a break. Now I’m being force hand-held into doing it for my final lvl 80… This is bullkitten.

Yumiko Togashii
Commander to [SLVR], Housepet to [GH]

KStudios.2850

Dont think they are going to change the trait system

They’ll have too when the player-base plummets. This isn’t like the Bloodlust update in WvW, where everyone simply ignores it once the “shiny” wore off (granted the ruins are fun to play in). The only reason I didn’t leave is because it’s my last lvl 80, but was on the fence for nearly a week. No way in kitten I’d do this unlock thing more than once.

Yumiko Togashii

Posted by: FirebrandFrog.7603

FirebrandFrog.7603

I understand that this new system is supposed to be a mimicry of GW1’s elite hunting. Fair and fine! But there are clear, very obvious flaws to this. (I keep remembering that one tweet, of a GW2 dev who never played GW1 before. Makes the bile rise everytime I do think about it.)

1. Elites in GW1 were IMPORTANT. Whole builds were based around them, which is why those particular elites had to be hunted down and with Signets of Capture at that. GW2’s system locks off traits, the basic things you put your points into, the thing that makes your characters worthwhile… Anet, traits != elites! The way my husband described it in an analogy is this: in GW1, instead of trainers to provide most skills and some elites, you now had to hunt down every single skill you wanted alongside every single elite. Signets of Capture, outside of the few free ones you get, cap out at 1 platinum per signet, and that kitten got expensive if you didn’t already have a massive hoard of the stuff or didn’t have a previously decked out player sitting on dosh (ohh, sounds familiar?). This sort of thing only reinforces builds that are good/“meta” and keeps out experimentation by gating basic fkucing content under tedious tasks in the guise of “exploring the world!!1!”. Nah, son. Nah.

2. This system punishes new players and people with alts. Not everyone can stick to the same character over and over and may want variety. What about new players, hearing about the game’s diverse way to make builds that matter, only to see horrid dog crap like this? Of course, they’re going to either go to an external skill calculator and do studying (the exact opposite of experimentation IIRC) or just look up a PvE DPS guide (tl;dr put points in 6/6/0/0/2 and build zerkers/assassins, spam might, YOU ARE GOOD TO GO). Or just play an MMO that isn’t so brutal on the in-game and RL wallet. If you really wanted to design a gold sink, Anet, there are better ways to do so. Like, say, fixing the gold:gem ratios.

3. Skill points as a tertiary currency? kittening really??? I’m fine with dungeon tokens and karma being secondary currency, that’s their whole purpose. But skill points should be for SKILLS. NOT TRAITS. This really shouldn’t have to be said, but this is New™ Anet…

4. Be considerate to those who don’t have the +10 hours to simply be in a Cursed Shore karma train and have tons of Scrolls of Knowledge or money for the traits. This game should be equal grounds for both them and the people who work very hard and only have maybe a few hours in a normal day to actually play the game. This only makes leveling alts take longer than normal, makes participation in PvP and WvW a nightmare, and makes people hate and shun you for reasons you simply cannot control if you aren’t traited out. And when it comes to dungeon farming, long-hours WvW, or fractals, this matters A LOT.

While the idea in theory is neat, the goals should be far more generic things, in line with the Dailies/Monthlies. 100%ing maps or finding obscure areas should not be requirements for Adept traits. That’s really messed up.

Briar Stoneheart, 80 Warrior | Erik Haptem, 80 Necromancer
(currently leveling: a Mesmer, an Engineer, and a Guardian)

Posted by: Dysfunctionaldud.2865

Dysfunctionaldud.2865

What a disappointment. I was hoping the update would bring something, but we got nothing. It’s hard to believe how swiftly a good game was destroyed by poor design decisions.

But, I’m done hoping things will get better. I’ve accepted that anet doesn’t care about their players and the current development team isn’t interested in keeping the vision of this game alive. I’m just hoping they at least still read these forums, because I want them to know they lost yet another customer. I’m not going to spend a single cent on this game again or ever purchase another game they make.

I only wish I knew who was actually responsible for this disaster so I could avoid wasting money on any other games that they’re involved with.

Posted by: Swami.4691

Swami.4691

HOW MANY MORE PAGES OF THIS DO YOU NEED?

CHANGE IT BACK ANET.

Posted by: CrashTestAuto.9108

CrashTestAuto.9108

No response at all, and no update or changes in this patch is quite disrespectful in my opinion. How much effort would it take to make one forum post to address this many serious customer concerns?

KStudios.2850

I understand that this new system is supposed to be a mimicry of GW1’s elite hunting. Fair and fine! But there are clear, very obvious flaws to this. (I keep remembering that one tweet, of a GW2 dev who never played GW1 before. Makes the bile rise everytime I do think about it.)

While the idea in theory is neat, the goals should be far more generic things, in line with the Dailies/Monthlies. 100%ing maps or finding obscure areas should not be requirements for Adept traits. That’s really messed up.

I understand the GW1 wannabe gimmick. The problem is, they’re using something that wasn’t even all that fun in GW1! XD

It was at least understandable when it was just the added rare traits that were unlockable. But when we say we want more Guild Wars homages, we’re talking more:
Armors
Map Locations
Guild Halls
Guild vs Guild
Bosses (Cause the Iron Forgeman’s return was amazing!)
Zaishen Missions

Not even gonna start on Cantha and Elona, since I think you guys already know we want those back.

Maybe a Gadd or Oola’s lab dungeon, with dusty golem models that were of that period (personally I think those were more formidable. Don’t make ‘em like they used to?). Maybe bring back Rotskale and Oola’s giant invinci-golem as bosses. Maybe let us uncover the remains of Glint. Maybe let us uncover a bit of what happened to the dwarves (yeah, we’ve been told what happened and all but lets see it!). Maybe let us be sent to track down whatever happened to Livia (last seen in the Sea of Sorrows book on a ship to Orr a few short years ago).

Don’t peg us as ungrateful, please. I for one love, and have loved most of, the new content. I love that so far what we’ve seen of the Maguuma Wastes has a very “wild westy” feel. The quicksand in particular was an amazing touch/effect (in saying that, meaning I so died in it the first time cause I was caught totally unaware lol. So kudos there). I love that you guys have finally decided to bring back Riot Alice (since I personally have been begging here on the forums for more of her). I love the dust storm event (just the environmental effects in general I guess). I squee’d like a lil girl when I saw tumbleweeds lol. I even liked the new Jump Puzzle, which is rare (it’s challenging but not over-the-top irritatingly so).

Also, very sad for the Zephyrites! Their contact and charity with us only destroyed their way of life. =(

Yumiko Togashii

(edited by KStudios.2850)

Posted by: Lobo Dela Noche.5127

Lobo Dela Noche.5127

- Trait XII Kindled Zeal: Gain condition damage based on your power. (All codition damage ups 13% of what you have in power)
- Trait XIII Amplified Wrath: Burning damage is increased. (Fire Damage ups 33%)

Maby you should read them better? They are pretty far from the same thing.
I can’t figure out a build to use Trait XII with though but maby if you go with with rampager stats and have sigil of earth, generocity and/or Torment. Something like that.

since guardians only have fire and nothing else for condition damage they are exactly the same thing except one gives better payoff. Any added conditions you can stick with sigils or runes is irrelevant.

Kohlteth.3715

OK, so new test.

new player here with a mesmer and have to agree, unlocking adept traits is a no no, feel underpowered and this trait system is really bad

having to sneak through high lvl areas to try to find a group a strangers that are willing to help me unlock lvl 30’s traits in a lvl 50+ area is just stupid , and the most useful one is locked in a JP in WvW which for a new player is a total PITA !!

At least make the account bound so when we do have them unlocked we can try other professions out, and / or kill the SP cost, lower unlock costs as new people do NOT have that gold to burn !!

No flexability for builds as new players as we do not have SP or G to spare !

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

Rubber ducking hell. I made a new Ranger. I got to level 36 and you know what I got for my trouble….drumroll…..No pickable traits (power), not one, they’re all locked.

Sure I get the passive benefits but all traits locked what a joke. Who OK’d this? My reward for getting to level 36 is “Haha, suck it, look what you don’t get!”

What a heap of garbage.

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

Rubber ducking hell. I made a new Ranger. I got to level 36 and you know what I got for my trouble….drumroll…..No pickable traits (power), not one, they’re all locked.

Sure I get the passive benefits but all traits locked what a joke. Who OK’d this? My reward for getting to level 36 is “Haha, suck it, look what you don’t get!”

What a heap of garbage.

Never fear! You can simply 100% map complete Blazeridge Steppes to get 1 trait for your trouble! Good luck!

Edit: I have been alerting people who ask about rerolling or buying new character slots in map chat about this system. The response is almost universally negative, for some reason.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Posted by: storiessave.3807

storiessave.3807

I still don’t really understand the point of this change. I just recently (couple of weeks ago) made a thief and leveled it to 80. It was the first character I have that didn’t exist before the change, so it’s subject to the new system.

First off, I ended up buying some of the most necessary traits, especially the one about removing conditions in stealth – which is an adept trait, and requires killing a level 58 champion. I mean, seriously? How that’s supposed to be even remotely doable at 36 is beyond me.

I tried helping a friend get that trait unlocked on her lowbie thief when it was ~48 (took a lot of deaths just to get her to the area where the champ spawns), and she ended up not getting the trait unlock since she couldn’t get more than glancing hits for the few seconds at a time that she was up. So, this trait’s impossible even 18 levels after it opens up, even with a level 80’s help.

And even if you tried assuming that just because a trait’s available at level 36 doesn’t mean you should be able to get it at that level, why bother with tiers at all? Why unlock the whole adept tier at level 30 if you can’t get some of the traits at that level? Stupidity at its finest.

Tarnished Coast

Catorii | Lustre Delacroix | Catorii Desmarais | Synalie

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

I’d say the brainchild behind this change hasn’t played GW. In GW1 (loose term) the collection of elite skills was all about choice, like I said above, this new guff is not. Magi Malaquire isn’t sitting on a hill here, instead we have consolised devs thinking “YipEEE! SAB!” while watching the Star Wars prequels and wishing Jar Jar minis were in the cash shop!

(edited by Paul.4081)

Posted by: FirebrandFrog.7603

FirebrandFrog.7603

I’d say the brainchild behind this change hasn’t played GW. In GW1 (loose term) the collection of elite skills was all about choice, like I said above, this new guff is not. Magi Malaquire isn’t sitting on a hill here, instead we have consolised devs thinking “YipEEE! SAB!” while watching the Star Wars prequels and wishing Jar Jar minis were in the cash shop!

I’m pretty sure a few of the devs for GW2 have never, ever played GW1. Or even want to. Which is a shame, they could learn some valuable lessons from Old Glory.

Briar Stoneheart, 80 Warrior | Erik Haptem, 80 Necromancer
(currently leveling: a Mesmer, an Engineer, and a Guardian)

Posted by: vana.5467

vana.5467

I’m pretty sure a few of the devs for GW2 have never, ever played GW1. Or even want to. Which is a shame, they could learn some valuable lessons from Old Glory.

I couldn’t help but chuckle a little when they announced the free respecs.

Guild Wars was launched with a respec restriction (refund points), which was removed 4 months after release because it interfered with experimentation and discouraged people from toying around with the large number of skills.
2 years later, Guild Wars 2 was announced. They wanted people to experiment. Try this, try that – see what happens! Every interview was about the almost sandbox nature of the game.
Upon release, once again, respecs were restricted, though thankfully less than in GW1 (refund points were pretty bad). 18 months later, the restriction was removed to encourage experimentation. Surprise, surprise..

(edited by vana.5467)

Posted by: McWolfy.5924

McWolfy.5924

I dont like it because im a wvw player. I dont like to do pve but the instant retrait is a good thing.

WSR→Piken→Deso→Piken→FSP→Deso
Just the WvW
R3200+

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

I still don’t really understand the point of this change. I just recently (couple of weeks ago) made a thief and leveled it to 80. It was the first character I have that didn’t exist before the change, so it’s subject to the new system.

First off, I ended up buying some of the most necessary traits, especially the one about removing conditions in stealth – which is an adept trait, and requires killing a level 58 champion. I mean, seriously? How that’s supposed to be even remotely doable at 36 is beyond me.

I tried helping a friend get that trait unlocked on her lowbie thief when it was ~48 (took a lot of deaths just to get her to the area where the champ spawns), and she ended up not getting the trait unlock since she couldn’t get more than glancing hits for the few seconds at a time that she was up. So, this trait’s impossible even 18 levels after it opens up, even with a level 80’s help.

And even if you tried assuming that just because a trait’s available at level 36 doesn’t mean you should be able to get it at that level, why bother with tiers at all? Why unlock the whole adept tier at level 30 if you can’t get some of the traits at that level? Stupidity at its finest.

Reminds me of what a friend and I did a while back. Fresh into 36, we decided to trudge our way over to Ulgoth, since we both needed his trait. Forgetting that Harathi is 35-45, we survived lots of higher-level mobs to get to him, then Glanced at him the entire time. We didn’t get any credit at all, event or otherwise.
Closer to 42 the second time around, because we also needed Harathi exploration, we managed to get it, 6 levels later after we opened up the trait line.

That’s unacceptable.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: VIVorcha.7853

VIVorcha.7853

The old trait system was better. Now the leveling feels even slower on my alts.

What would be awesome is if we had separate weapon trait lines and skill trait lines.

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

the one thing i wonder is what they were thinking, why did they go beyond that what we asked for?
is it really so difficult to simply add what we ask for and stop there, do they always need to screw with our ideas even while it screws everything up?

Posted by: Illysharia.7286

Illysharia.7286

I made a post shortly after the Trait system cataclysm, and have been checking in periodically for responses, change, and how the community has adapted. After 2 months, the community has given ample feedback to warrant a response from Chris, or some sort of Customer Relations rep. From experience, 2 weeks is a good time to wait to let the players try out the system, listen to their pros and cons of the changes, and then address the community in some fashion.

2 months with zero feedback is dismissive of your customer’s concerns in a horrendously unprofessional way.

From reading through all 28 pages, and over 1.3 thousand posts, the general consensus of these changes is negative. Even the people that gave it the old college try came back with strong criticisms. Many positive, realistic improvements were even suggested. It has been a civil, though one-sided, attempt to supply the feedback that ANET asked for, and open discussion lines from the Dev’s to their customers.

Now, I’ve been online gaming since 2000 with EverQuest. In between then and now I’ve been very active in the MMO community, and gladly supporting great game developers both financially and in spirit with forum participation. Changes happen as the games evolve, for good or bad, and generally the bad changes get mitigated or revoked once a company sees error has been made, and that there is more than an unacceptable level of community unrest.

I am utterly perplexed at how this entire Trait re-vamp was managed. 2 months without an attempt at communication tells me quite clearly that the expiration date for any discussion or change has passed.

As a consumer, not just a player, I’ve been around the block quite a bit to know when a company is happy to treat their customers like cattle, and take my business elsewhere. I feel like ample opportunity was given for communication, and those efforts were rudely ignored. I’ll be interested in seeing ANET’s fiscal reports at the end of this year.

Posted by: Galphar.3901

Galphar.3901

It’s not ANet’s bottom line it’s NCSoft and I thik most of us know by now that NCSoft is in it for the quick buck. ANet got lucky with Guild Wars in that NCSoft took a very hands-off approach to it’s everyday runnings. With Anet’s success tho, NCSoft took a more hands-on track and just wanted to make enough money to support Wildstars development.

PookieDaWombat.6209

Near as i can tell NC Soft has been listening VERY closely to all of our complaints and suggestions in these forums.

They’ve just opted to implement the ideas elsewhere. coughcough

Seriously, if you go through a lot of the complaints in this thread and others regarding features, etc that we wanted here and look at other…properties…you will find many of those things over there.

Soraya Mayhew – Thief