Gold Transfer Changes

Gold Transfer Changes

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

This restriction should have no effect on items sent through mail. If there is, it’s unintended and most likely a bug.

That’s what I thought. So the guy that couldn’t get a dye via mail must either be doing something wrong or it is a bug. If it is a bug I would guess we would see more people posting about it by now.

Or it’s like the data that Anet found and hardly anybody even hits the cap in the first place.

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

Or it’s like the data that Anet found and hardly anybody even hits the cap in the first place.

Erm….the guy hes talking about…hit the gold cap, and cannot take items out of his mail. Items mind you, not gold. (Suppose ably)

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: Malediktus.3740

Malediktus.3740

or just plan ahead

I never have that much gold at the same time (I love spending my gold all the time xD). Spreading 6720g on the accounts way ahead of time just so I have them ready for the envelopes? You must be kidding me.
This year I only managed to do this by sending each account16g every day, sending the envelopes back, selling them on TP and sending 16g again next day.

I dont care if these measures only affect less than 1% of the players. If it affects just 1 legitimate player its a terrible measure.

One of my 30 accounts (Malediktus.9250).

Gold Transfer Changes

Ayrilana.1396

Erm….the guy hes talking about…hit the gold cap, and cannot take items out of his mail. Items mind you, not gold. (Suppose ably)

See what I’ve bolded.

This restriction should have no effect on items sent through mail. If there is, it’s unintended and most likely a bug.

That’s what I thought. So the guy that couldn’t get a dye via mail must either be doing something wrong or it is a bug. If it is a bug I would guess we would see more people posting about it by now.

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

It is a good thing I don’t work for Anet and have access to the gold transfer data of players. If I did I’d look up some of the people grumbling in this thread and post how much gold they receive via mail or transfer via guild bank a week. Kind of like what the devs sometimes do in the PvP forum when someone complains about their ranking. I’d be willing to bet for most people in this thread it would be far below the 500 gold cap.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: Enko.6123

Enko.6123

http://i.imgur.com/EEN2wbW.png

Testing results:
Mailed an item with no merchant value (Divine Lucky Envelope): unable to pull it out of the mail.
Placed Divine Lucky Envelope in Guild Bank: Was able to withdraw from the guild bank.
Unable to withdraw gold from guild bank.

My account is capped for this week. Looks like once you’re capped, you can’t accept mail with items or money, unable to withdraw gold from guild banks, but are able to take out items from guild bank.

It’s going to be interesting to figure out how we’re going to distribute weekly lottery prizes or guild tournament prizes now.

Gold Transfer Changes

Ayrilana.1396

or just plan ahead

I never have that much gold at the same time (I love spending my gold all the time xD). Spreading 6720g on the accounts way ahead of time just so I have them ready for the envelopes? You must be kidding me.
This year I only managed to do this by sending each account16g every day, sending the envelopes back, selling them on TP and sending 16g again next day.

I dont care if these measures only affect less than 1% of the players. If it affects just 1 legitimate player its a terrible measure.

You only need about 480G plus enough to cover the first day’s TP fees to purchase 16 across your 30 accounts. After that, you can continually sell them each day and make profit which I’m assuming is your goal. You don’t need to keep sending each account gold everyday as you will make more than enough profit to not need gold influxes to that account.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Gold Transfer Changes

Malediktus.3740

or just plan ahead

You only need about 480G plus enough to cover the first day’s TP fees to purchase 16 across your 30 accounts. After that, you can continually sell them each day and make profit which I’m assuming is your goal. You don’t need to keep sending each account gold everyday as you will make more than enough profit to not need gold influxes to that account.

That still means I wont be able to do anything else with my gold for 14 days.

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

Testing results:
Mailed an item with no merchant value (Divine Lucky Envelope): unable to pull it out of the mail.
Placed Divine Lucky Envelope in Guild Bank: Was able to withdraw from the guild bank.

My account is capped for this week. Looks like once you’re capped, you can’t accept mail with items or money, unable to withdraw gold from guild banks, but are able to take out items from guild bank.

It’s going to be interesting to figure out how we’re going to distribute weekly lottery prizes or guild tournament prizes now.

Its a bug, and will be fixed.

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

Gold Transfer Changes

Malediktus.3740

It is a good thing I don’t work for Anet and have access to the gold transfer data of players. If I did I’d look up some of the people grumbling in this thread and post how much gold they receive via mail or transfer via guild bank a week. Kind of like what the devs sometimes do in the PvP forum when someone complains about their ranking. I’d be willing to bet for most people in this thread it would be far below the 500 gold cap.

Uh. Just because a person complaining rarely hits the 500g cap doesnt mean he has no right about complaining about it. Even if it just hits him once per year he got negatively affected by it and has all right to complain about it.
You are basically taking peoples freedom away to do with their gold whatever they want (as long as they dont break the ToS) by limitting their weekly transfers.

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: Chris Cleary

Previous

Chris Cleary

Game Security Lead

Next

Testing results:

I’ve found the bug, looking into the issue now.

Professor of Bearbow Math @ Tyria State // @Shazbawt // “The Crippler”

(edited by Chris Cleary.8017)

Gold Transfer Changes

JustTrogdor.7892

Uh. Just because a person complaining rarely hits the 500g cap doesnt mean he has no right about complaining about it. Even if it just hits him once per year he got negatively affected by it and has all right to complain about it.
You are basically taking peoples freedom away to do with their gold whatever they want (as long as they dont break the ToS) by limitting their weekly transfers.

I seriously doubt most of the grumblers here represent that 0.175% If so that would be an epic forum experience to have that 0.175% all show up in the same thread.

At 500G, it is not only functionally effective, but also it will only impact 0.175% of our players during an entire month’s worth of mails (if an account would hit the restriction once per month/30 days).

Like I said, maybe Anet should start posting the gold transfer data of some of the grumblers here. Maybe edit their names to save them from being humiliated too much.

The Burninator

Gold Transfer Changes

Malediktus.3740

At 500G, it is not only functionally effective, but also it will only impact 0.175% of our players during an entire month’s worth of mails (if an account would hit the restriction once per month/30 days).

Like I said, maybe Anet should start posting the gold transfer data of some of the grumblers here. Maybe edit their names to save them from being humiliated too much.
[/quote]
You dont get it. People have all right to be “grumblers”. Just because they rarely or never hit the cap so far doesnt mean they wont do in the future. And as soon as that happens you reduced that person’s freedom.
And I am not even sure if Anet even got their 0.175% right considering I have been innocently banned two times for gold selling already and had to ask to customer support for help.

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Fast work, Mr. Cleary, I just tested item+coin with a guildie and was going to back Enko up by saying any coins in the mail would have shown in the screenshot Enko provided.

But when I hit Quote you had already edited. Fast, fast work!

Gold Transfer Changes

JustTrogdor.7892

You dont get it. People have all right to be “grumblers”. Just because they rarely or never hit the cap so far doesnt mean they wont do in the future. And as soon as that happens you reduced that person’s freedom.
And I am not even sure if Anet even got their 0.175% right considering I have been innocently banned two times for gold selling already and had to ask to customer support for help.

The data shows that only 0.175% will be affected. Most people in this thread have probably and will most likely never come close to hitting the cap as suggested by the data. Concocted problems that will most likely never occur are just that, imagined. I could imagine I might some day get killed by a shark when I go surfing. However, statistically this threat will never affect me. So should I complain about sharks and ask that they all be killed? People are complaining for the sake of it. I’m not sure what you are on about with your “false” bans for gold selling. That has nothing at all to do with this or the data they collected on gold transfers.

Complain on. Statistically this affects a very minute amount of players. I don’t think Anet is going to change their stance anytime soon.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: Nafeasonto.8925

Nafeasonto.8925

Did you seriously just come in here and define yourself as a 1% minority, then demand anyone care what happens to you in the new system?

You do not impact the community in a significant enough way to be considered.

So what you are saying is Anet should only care about certain members that play? And only certain people who pay real money?

And not care about the rest?

And AGAIN why include Guild Banks, that makes no sense.

Complain on. Statistically this affects a very minute amount of players. I don’t think Anet is going to change their stance anytime soon.

Then they are going to probably start losing people if they don’t like to listen to their customers. It’s the nature of the beast, since our stance isn’t going to change anytime soon. It’s not a good idea to screw over people who pay money, especially people who like the stuff in the gem store and people actual money. And they probably make loads of money on the gem store.

(edited by Nafeasonto.8925)

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I don’t want to be impacted by all the Gold-seller mail/map chat/whispers/etc. Should my needs be brushed aside because a small amount of people will hit the cap? It would impact by quality of experience playing this game if measures were not taken to help curb RMTs.

Is my experience in-game as a paying customer worth less than those will large amounts of in-game Gold?

Food for thought…

Gold Transfer Changes

pdavis.8031

Did you seriously just come in here and define yourself as a 1% minority, then demand anyone care what happens to you in the new system?

You do not impact the community in a significant enough way to be considered.

So what you are saying is Anet should only care about certain members that play? And only certain people who pay real money?

And not care about the rest?

And AGAIN why include Guild Banks, that makes no sense.

Then they are going to probably start losing people if they don’t like to listen to their customers. It’s the nature of the beast, since our stance isn’t going to change anytime soon. It’s not a good idea to screw over people who pay money, especially people who like the stuff in the gem store and people actual money. And they probably make loads of money on the gem store.

But which customers do they listen to? those that don’t like it, or those that do? If those that are OK with and support the change, and are buying gems, then who do they risk alienating? The majority, or minorty? At that point, it’s better to appease the majority and lose the minorty who probably aren’t very happy with the game anyway. More happy players brings in even more happy players, which is a win for anet.

recognize my command!”

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: Chris Cleary

Previous

Chris Cleary

Game Security Lead

Testing results:

Going to have to wait for a fix on this one until sometime next week. Items wont dissapear, they just won’t be claimable until the restriction resets or we fix this. This only applies to mail that is sent to someone already at the cap that contains coins and items.

Editing: Fix will come next week (Week of April 13th)

Professor of Bearbow Math @ Tyria State // @Shazbawt // “The Crippler”

(edited by Chris Cleary.8017)

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: scott.3841

scott.3841

Gratz
the game is over

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: Mishka.9623

Mishka.9623

So sending gold to your commander to build up a warchest to help guilds from other servers transfer for WvW is dead, GG. RMT will certainly take a hit but those guys have millions of accounts anyway, you’re probably affecting more legit players than gold sellers, even Blizzard ended up selling gold themselves to get a slice of the cake cause they couldn’t completely erase RMT.

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: Mismystic.9536

Mismystic.9536

This is my first ever response and time i have given time to look into a forum. Mainly because this capp has a great intention but I am not a fan of the 500gold cap. You don’t understand the affects that would occur to the huge guilds or if people have personal guilds, which i do. And may i say that i put in and withdraw money from my personal guild many times! Ontop of this the guild that I am apart of has a monthly lottory.. that not only gives out about 700gold to the winner but 2 poeple (creator and cofinder) store all the money for the month. So they are constantly getting sent a gold a day or 2 gold or 30 gold. You might not think a lot of poeple get about 500gold through mail and or guild transfers but we do. Guilds are meant for players to have an interactive fun close community so that way we an each help each other out and have fun together! With this cap not only is it creating problems for my guild, for our lottery but for many others. i know some guilds that do 1k lotto give aways! And yes I am mainly writing this because i myself have already reached the 500 gold max. It isnt the fact that i cant get my gold.. I can wait.. it is kinda nice to have the assurance that i have gold in the mail but me not being able to take it out when lets say i have 0 gold and i cant take out the gold? what am i suppose to do? I wish there was a way you could detect that there are people who arent stealing gold or scamming or so on and so forth. I think this is a high extreme measure you guys are taking and i think the cap should either increase, you guys should create a system where you can detect these poeple you are trying to not give oppertunitis to continue, or you get rid of this all together. I currently have 78gold and I cant recieve 48gold that i have in my mail because i reached cap. which i was totally gonna use to transfer into gems to get the quaggan mail carrier. but yeah no.. i have to wait a week till i get it now. I dont think this is fair for reasons like this. Anet i love you guys so much! but I just want my quaggan carrier already!

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: BentoDetective.6491

BentoDetective.6491

With gold transfer changes, this got me thinking of a place most people would visit on a weekly basis: the bank. Anyways, when the changes were first posted I thought it sounded very reasonable. RMT along with other illegal activities ruin the game, so this implementation was great, in my opinion.

Now that it’s gone live, players that are legitimately moving their gold around are being very inconvenience by the system. So, as a suggestion, logically either the cap should increase OR lower the waiting period. Such as putting the restriction to weekly or bi-weekly rather than a month’s worth of time. Or keep the monthly period and raise the 500g to a larger sum (maybe 1000).

Btw, this change didn’t affect me as a player. The thread just peaked my interest.

I would also like to add, the account wallet should see some expansion in the future as there are various tokens that could see some love by being an addition in it. Right away, I would say the Silverwastes tokens. I had accumulated (at one time) ~3000 tokens, took up loads of bank space.

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

With gold transfer changes, this got me thinking of a place most people would visit on a weekly basis: the bank. Anyways, when the changes were first posted I thought it sounded very reasonable. RMT along with other illegal activities ruin the game, so this implementation was great, in my opinion.

Now that it’s gone live, players that are legitimately moving their gold around are being very inconvenience by the system. So, as a suggestion, logically either the cap should increase OR lower the waiting period. Such as putting the restriction to weekly or bi-weekly rather than a month’s worth of time. Or keep the monthly period and raise the 500g to a larger sum (maybe 1000).

Btw, this change didn’t affect me as a player. The thread just peaked my interest.

I would also like to add, the account wallet should see some expansion in the future as there are various tokens that could see some love by being an addition in it. Right away, I would say the Silverwastes tokens. I had accumulated (at one time) ~3000 tokens, took up loads of bank space.

It is weekly now. You can read the OP for information on the time restrictions. Good luck.

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: Bartinoob.3792

Bartinoob.3792

Hi,

What about a new account ?

Edit : got my answer : looks like a new account must wait 31 days until he’s able to transfer golds. I’ll see about that.

(edited by Bartinoob.3792)

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: Aitadis.8269

Aitadis.8269

I sent a friend mats to make me 100 superior flame rams for last nights WvW raid but she was unable to accept them and I am assuming it has to do with this new change. This is a horrible change that mostly affects legitimate players. If your gonna punish everyone because of the actions of a few gold buyers then you need to implement an actual ingame trade function for people to be able to sell and trade items without having to post on the trading post and lose 15% of your gold. If you want to stop gold selling, you could also ban the people buying gold and stop giving them warnings. Man up Anet, no other MMO has restrictions like this, at least the MMO’s that are actually good. Punishing everyone because you don’t want to spend a few extra resources like every other MMO to stop gold sellers is atrocious.

Illusionary Mesmer
[oof] Crystal Desert

(edited by Aitadis.8269)

Gold Transfer Changes

Malediktus.3740

I don’t want to be impacted by all the Gold-seller mail/map chat/whispers/etc. Should my needs be brushed aside because a small amount of people will hit the cap? It would impact by quality of experience playing this game if measures were not taken to help curb RMTs.

Is my experience in-game as a paying customer worth less than those will large amounts of in-game Gold?

Food for thought…

Those gold sellers only impact you for a few seconds at a time. You block, report and move on. Certainly much less incovenience than having artifical limits on transfering gold.

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Testing results:

Going to have to wait for a fix on this one until sometime next week. Items wont dissapear, they just won’t be claimable until the restriction resets or we fix this. This only applies to mail that is sent to someone already at the cap that contains coins and items.

I hit the item restriction, but I didn’t receive any coin since the scheduled start time. As soon as I saw Gaile’s announcement, I moved my guild bank coin into my wallet — that was before the UTC time that her post said the restriction would go into effect (thus also before the Pacific time, too). My evidence that I made it before the deadline: I was able to withdraw additional coin after first moving 500g.

In other words, besides the item restriction, the gold limit counted coin received prior to the scheduled time, perhaps because it’s part of “this week,” i.e. it happened Tuesday, which is part of “this week’s” Sun-Sat.

Obviously, you guys can’t fix that bug, but maybe you can ensure that any future weekly restrictions (guild commendations, coin transfers, crafting gates, etc) go into effect on Sundays. Or if it needs to start mid-week, add code to make sure it doesn’t affect players retroactively.

Just to be clear: even though I’m annoyed by the inconvenience, I don’t consider this a priority; I can work-around the coin limit. I’ll also get over the fact that my trust in the dates in the original announcement made things worse for me.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: Enko.6123

Enko.6123

Testing results:

I hit the item restriction, but I didn’t receive any coin since the scheduled start time. As soon as I saw Gaile’s announcement, I moved my guild bank coin into my wallet — that was before the UTC time that her post said the restriction would go into effect (thus also before the Pacific time, too). My evidence that I made it before the deadline: I was able to withdraw additional coin after first moving 500g.

In other words, besides the item restriction, the gold limit counted coin received prior to the scheduled time, perhaps because it’s part of “this week,” i.e. it happened Tuesday, which is part of “this week’s” Sun-Sat.

Obviously, you guys can’t fix that bug, but maybe you can ensure that any future weekly restrictions (guild commendations, coin transfers, crafting gates, etc) go into effect on Sundays. Or if it needs to start mid-week, add code to make sure it doesn’t affect players retroactively.

Just to be clear: even though I’m annoyed by the inconvenience, I don’t consider this a priority; I can work-around the coin limit. I’ll also get over the fact that my trust in the dates in the original announcement made things worse for me.

Concur. That’s really my only gripe about it since I had moved gold prior to this going into effect and I’m stuck until it resets. That’s tomorrow so I can live with it.

I do think this is going to affect guilds that do giveaways, lotteries, and other types of prizes though.

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: Smurffed.9617

Smurffed.9617

I was a bit bummed yesterday when I tried to withdraw my funds from my storage guild bank and hit my limit. I use it because I have made the stupid mistakes of accidentally purchasing something on the TP that I was just looking at price. I am the only one in the guild, I am the only one that deposited the funds. I think with the wonderful team that has created this game can make a “code” in programming to verify if that person deposited, then that person can withdraw. In other words, I wanted to withdraw all my funds to purchase what I wanted before the price jacked back up. My fault for not staying on top of all the changes I guess.

(edited by Smurffed.9617)

Gold Transfer Changes

pdavis.8031

Food for thought…

Those gold sellers only impact you for a few seconds at a time. You block, report and move on. Certainly much less incovenience than having artifical limits on transfering gold.

The problem isn’t that gold sellers are an inconvenience, the problem is people are actually buying gold from gold sellers. Which encourages them to hack more accounts to do more business. Stopping the gold sellers by the limitation, which severely hampers their ability to conduct business, you limit the amount of gold sellers wanting to do business in game. If the buyer can only recieve a limited amount of gold per week, why would they want to do business with them if it takes 2+weeks to receive their goods? At that point is not worth it to buy gold from third party sites. Plus it greatly increases the chances of buyers getting caught if they have to wait longer.

recognize my command!”

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: Ark Bladesteele.2943

Ark Bladesteele.2943

Food for thought…

The problem isn’t that gold sellers are an inconvenience, the problem is people are actually buying gold from gold sellers. Which encourages them to hack more accounts to do more business. Stopping the gold sellers by the limitation, which severely hampers their ability to conduct business, you limit the amount of gold sellers wanting to do business in game. If the buyer can only recieve a limited amount of gold per week, why would they want to do business with them if it takes 2+weeks to receive their goods? At that point is not worth it to buy gold from third party sites. Plus it greatly increases the chances of buyers getting caught if they have to wait longer.

I think you’re vastly underestimating the ability of ingame gold/commodity sellers to adapt. If they can’t send gold, they will use something else. Again, just look back on GW1.

NSP’s resident crazy-eyed sylvari

Gold Transfer Changes

Malediktus.3740

Food for thought…

I think you’re vastly underestimating the ability of ingame gold/commodity sellers to adapt. If they can’t send gold, they will use something else. Again, just look back on GW1.

Yes, whats next. Will I be only able to take out 1-5 stacks of T6 mats out of my guild bank per week?

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

Food for thought…

Yes, whats next. Will I be only able to take out 1-5 stacks of T6 mats out of my guild bank per week?

yes, but only when the gold sellers are still profitable after getting stuck with an additional 15% tax because they have to launder everything through the tp.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

Gold Transfer Changes

pdavis.8031

Food for thought…

The problem with that though is the 15% fees and fluctuating prices on the TP. It makes it much more complicated and fluid when setting prices and amounts. You cant sell exact amounts, and with certain items the prices change very rapidly. The could sell items, but it’s a bit more difficult to get specific items from hacked accounts, as they are either account bound, or soul bound. Plus with the gold transfer limitations, even if they could sell some items, they are back in the same place.

recognize my command!”

Gold Transfer Changes

Donari.5237

The problem is, and this might very well be personal bias here, I think of gold buyers as complete idiots. They’re willing to risk losing their accounts (to hackers or bans), their credit rating, their RL banking accounts, their use of a stable and robust game economy, and for what? A tad more gold than they could get via legitimate gem purchases that actually help the game give them more content down the road?

I picture them going “hur hur hur, I am so smart, I can spend cash at a third party to win this game.” So I can’t really imagine them being savvy enough to comparison shop. The last gold whisper I got I took just a moment to check how much gold I’d get for that cash value in gems. By my quick math (possibly poorly done), a legit purchase got substantially more gold than I would have if I fell to the spammer’s wiles.

Anyway, if the idiots think they’re somehow getting ahead by buying gold, they aren’t going to calculate price comparisons. They’re just going to hur-hur-hur make the stupid purchase.

Gold Transfer Changes

pdavis.8031

The problem is, and this might very well be personal bias here, I think of gold buyers as complete idiots. They’re willing to risk losing their accounts (to hackers or bans), their credit rating, their RL banking accounts, their use of a stable and robust game economy, and for what? A tad more gold than they could get via legitimate gem purchases that actually help the game give them more content down the road?

I picture them going “hur hur hur, I am so smart, I can spend cash at a third party to win this game.” So I can’t really imagine them being savvy enough to comparison shop. The last gold whisper I got I took just a moment to check how much gold I’d get for that cash value in gems. By my quick math (possibly poorly done), a legit purchase got substantially more gold than I would have if I fell to the spammer’s wiles.

Anyway, if the idiots think they’re somehow getting ahead by buying gold, they aren’t going to calculate price comparisons. They’re just going to hur-hur-hur make the stupid purchase.

Pretty much, but they are still doing it. Which creates a need to do something about it.

recognize my command!”

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

When I was young and brand new to playing an mmorpg, I didn’t know there were bad reasons to buy gold. I never did it, but only because I didn’t want to spend that much money for something like that.

The first time I played in an mmorpg and heard a gold seller advertising I though it was allowed by the game because he was advertising in map chat and I figured, no one would
do that if it was forbidden. I was like, “That’s interesting. You can buy gold.” I went and checked out the site, looked at the prices and then decided against it on the basis of cost. If I had bought gold and gotten a ban, I would have been completely surprised by it.

It was only later by hearing comments in map chat that caused me to research it that I realized that it was not only bad for the game and dangerous to your account and finances but forbidden by the game.

/shrug. Some people are idiots but some are naive or uninformed and gold buying isn’t an obvious evil.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Gold Transfer Changes

Donari.5237

Point taken. Though if I cast my mind back to the misty dawn of my MMO playing (I began a few years before WoW came out), I believe my reaction to the concept was “that’s cheating.” I was raised in a household where the worst things you could do were lie, cheat, or steal (yeah, there are in fact worse things you can do to other people, but those weren’t even on the mental horizon of temptation). Any action that feels like I am doing one of those things triggers my guilt reflex well in advance.

There is also the Larry Niven TANSTAAFL concept (There Ain’t No Such Thing As A Free Lunch). And the mantra from Oath of Fealty by Niven and Pournelle, “Think of it as evolution in action.” (I apply this latter to those who get banned).

Naivete can explain many things, and even excuse them to a certain extent, but to me someone who buys gold off a third party site that is not part of the game company is cheating and should know something’s not kosher.

I’d like to see something to ease the pain of those legitimately moving a lot of money around. Somewhere in this thread there was the suggestion that the longer someone’s on your mutual friends list, the larger the cap on what can be accepted from them in a gold transfer. Gold selling accounts get caught reasonably fast, I believe, so if they try to set up long term mutual friends with their buyers then the buyers can be quickly discerned. Something would have to be done to prevent the friends of hacked accounts getting banned, but with that in place it might be one more tool for finding the cheaters.

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

When your game’s progression is cosmetics then yes, buying gems(legally or otherwise)is how you win. They keep adding black lion weapon sets but still can’t find a way to get a new(full)compliment of Legendaries in the game.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Point taken. Though if I cast my mind back to the misty dawn of my MMO playing (I began a few years before WoW came out), I believe my reaction to the concept was “that’s cheating.” I was raised in a household where the worst things you could do were lie, cheat, or steal (yeah, there are in fact worse things you can do to other people, but those weren’t even on the mental horizon of temptation). Any action that feels like I am doing one of those things triggers my guilt reflex well in advance.

There is also the Larry Niven TANSTAAFL concept (There Ain’t No Such Thing As A Free Lunch). And the mantra from Oath of Fealty by Niven and Pournelle, “Think of it as evolution in action.” (I apply this latter to those who get banned).

Naivete can explain many things, and even excuse them to a certain extent, but to me someone who buys gold off a third party site that is not part of the game company is cheating and should know something’s not kosher.

I’d like to see something to ease the pain of those legitimately moving a lot of money around. Somewhere in this thread there was the suggestion that the longer someone’s on your mutual friends list, the larger the cap on what can be accepted from them in a gold transfer. Gold selling accounts get caught reasonably fast, I believe, so if they try to set up long term mutual friends with their buyers then the buyers can be quickly discerned. Something would have to be done to prevent the friends of hacked accounts getting banned, but with that in place it might be one more tool for finding the cheaters.

I thought it was something that was allowed by the game or they were authorized by the game to sell gold. I figured they had to have the game’s permission to do that in order to sell gold right out there in map chat. I wasn’t even sure how I would get the gold, I thought maybe the game would email it to me or something after I bought it. As to your free lunch comment and not knowing it was kosher that way, I would have been spending real money so it wouldn’t have struck me as a free lunch that way.

But thanks for implying that not only should I have known immediately it was wrong but that it showed a lack of moral fiber in addition.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Gold Transfer Changes

Donari.5237

I’m sorry I didn’t mean to target you with that. I suppose I’m so steeped in MMOs these days that it seems the knowledge is everywhere now that gold buying is improper. Otoh now a ton of apps ding you for real cash purchases left right and center, so it’s less clear that throwing cash at games is not how one really plays the game.

I did sound rather high-handed and high-horsed. It came out of my frustration with gold seller leeches, and perhaps out of some RL stuff I’m going through but the latter is no excuse at all. I apologize.

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: Animism.9803

Animism.9803

Hi anet…

I’m known quite well for selling dungeons all of the time… and when I do I easily surpass 500g in a week… So i’m just here to say… thanks for the next stick to reach around and stab me in the back.

There is NO GOOD WAY to make money in this game, lest you play the trading post – which is boring to most. So here is the next in a line of updates that seem almost targeted at dungeon sellers and those who are trying to make money in the game.

Please re-evaluate your gold cap, because it hasn’t been thought through… Either increase the cap amount, or remove it altogether.

EDIT—————
Why don’t you add a ‘merge’ gold from individual mails?
Let me explain: If I have reached my 500g weekly cap, and I still want to carry on selling… I will get stuck at 10 mails worth of gold… then couldn’t do any more…

Anet SHOULD counter this by being able to move the gold from mails into one or into a mail deposit, so we are able to clear our mail out and continue selling if we wish. —- Mails seem to currently stack up beyond the 10/10 mark I believe, and will reveal themselves as you remove some, however the former or what I suggested should still be done for clarity.

(edited by Animism.9803)

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Sorry, if this cap ends up hurting those who avoid the TP taxes or those who sell paths and jump puzzles, all the better IMO. Selling paths and portals would be like the Boy Scouts charging little old ladies to cross the street.

This is a very friendly co-op PvE game and between meta teams and player merchs, it’s difficult to get a team together outside of a guild to do a dungeon without the black mail of pay or be kicked when the party is almost finished. Bet you didn’t like the change to the kick rules either.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: Dreamslayer.7659

Dreamslayer.7659

When I was young and brand new to playing an mmorpg, I didn’t know there were bad reasons to buy gold. I never did it, but only because I didn’t want to spend that much money for something like that.

The first time I played in an mmorpg and heard a gold seller advertising I though it was allowed by the game because he was advertising in map chat and I figured, no one would
do that if it was forbidden. I was like, “That’s interesting. You can buy gold.” I went and checked out the site, looked at the prices and then decided against it on the basis of cost. If I had bought gold and gotten a ban, I would have been completely surprised by it.

It was only later by hearing comments in map chat that caused me to research it that I realized that it was not only bad for the game and dangerous to your account and finances but forbidden by the game.

/shrug. Some people are idiots but some are naive or uninformed and gold buying isn’t an obvious evil.

It’s easy for experienced players to forget that this might not always be obvious.

Perhaps Anet would consider putting some kind of “reminder” or mini TOS click-through on emails with moderate to large sums of gold.

“This email contains a large amount of gold, be aware that paying actual currency to receive gold in Guild Wars 2 is a violation of the terms of service and your account can be terminated. If this gold was purchased from a third party using real life currency, click here to received help. By clicking the button below, you are stating that this gold was not traded for any currency or equivalent good or service and you acknowledge that doing so could result in immediate account termination.”

[] Help, I bought this gold from a dirty RMT trader and I don’t want my account to die and all my characters to forever burn in heck.

[] I acknowledge that some people are dumb and some people are bad, but I am neither and I am entitled to this gold. Gimme!

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: Animism.9803

Animism.9803

Sorry, if this cap ends up hurting those who avoid the TP taxes or those who sell paths and jump puzzles, all the better IMO. Selling paths and portals would be like the Boy Scouts charging little old ladies to cross the street.

This is a very friendly co-op PvE game and between meta teams and player merchs, it’s difficult to get a team together outside of a guild to do a dungeon without the black mail of pay or be kicked when the party is almost finished. Bet you didn’t like the change to the kick rules either.

Well thanks for your opinion, but that analogy is nothing comparable to selling dungeon paths. There is a market for dungeon selling, because it can be beneficial for many people, hence there are buyers… hence me selling.

What you say about getting a team together is absurd, there are LFG’s going constantly whilst I sell my path. If you get kicked from a group doing a dungeon manually, that’s down to something else entirely.

So… yes… Anet DO need to change this in favor of people who are just trying to sell dungeons.

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Why should they change and/or cater changes to unsupported activities?

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Gold Transfer Changes

Behellagh.1468

Except most dungeon LFG require strict meta to participate. Even if they say they don’t.

It only takes a few pay and then be kicked to sour players on the whole selling of paths.

RIP City of Heroes

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

Except most dungeon LFG require strict meta to participate. Even if they say they don’t.

It only takes a few pay and then be kicked to sour players on the whole selling of paths.

Not even close to being true. but this off topic for this thread.

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Gold Transfer Changes

Behellagh.1468

Not even close to being true. but this off topic for this thread.

In every case I’ve tried it was including teams I tried to form and then been kicked by those who joined even though I listed no meta required. I find selling of paths to be an offshoot of this. Otherwise if the forming of PUGs weren’t so hostile why would there be a viable business in selling assistance?

And it’s not off topic if players who sell paths are hitting the cap. My point is the devs may see this cap for RMT affecting path sellers and TP tax avoiders as a happy coincidence sad unfortunate side effect.

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)