Guild Wars 2 April fools 2015 [merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Nyx.7342

Nyx.7342

The reason you shouldn’t care is because it literally has nothing to do with the plane crashes (notice I said crashes, because there are more crashes in a year than you seem to realize and just because the German one was disastrous doesn’t mean there aren’t hundreds of them a year). The sepia filter, the airplane noises… it’s obviously meant to be a joke on old kids who run around like this for fun.

Do you get offended that people are still using airplanes today, despite the crash in Germany? Clearly they are offensive to you right? I mean, they’re in an airplane, clearly it’s in bad taste.

Seriously, plane crashes happen. There were a few big ones last year too… kitten happens. RIP to those who died, it’s unrelated to an april’s fools in a video game.

Im not offended by it because im not german….If i were in that area or i knew someone on the plane i would obviously be offended. Im not sure 100% whether i agree they shouldnt have released it but i can see where the OP is coming from. Imagine if a plane had crashed in your state and then a week later you log on and see eveyrone in a video game smiling and making airplane noises…….

(edited by Nyx.7342)

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

yeah because tragedies happen everyday, right?

Yes, they do.

People die daily from war, starvation, sickness. It usually don’t go a day without a bomb or a mine exploding somewhere, killing or maiming a bunch of people.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: alcopaul.2156

alcopaul.2156

Yes, they do.

People die daily from war, starvation, sickness. It usually don’t go a day without a bomb or a mine exploding somewhere, killing or maiming a bunch of people.

but to your loved ones?

Posted by: Aerinndis.2730

Aerinndis.2730

Anet, seriously, thank you for this. This has to be one of the most original in game April Fools I have seen yet, and not just with a Guild Wars game. Very well thought and original with the sepia tone, grainy movie look with the mono sound.

Very good, very nice, thank you

I liked it too! I felt like Snoopy in his Sopwith Camel, lol. (Curse you, Red Baron!) I absolutely loved the airplane noises. Makes me feel like I was in an early 30’s movie. Nice job ANet. It is only once a year and only for one day and I always look forward to this particular day of silliness.

Who did the voicing on the airplane noises? That was so good!

(edited by Aerinndis.2730)

Posted by: Sthenith.5196

Sthenith.5196

If this were to happen in another mmo i play, that company would lose thousands of dollars just by the sheer amount of cashshoppers loggin off for a day. And since they don’t want that to happen, they don’t organize such events which can’t be turned off at all.

Face it, most ppl find it funny for the first few minutes, some find it funny since they’re oh so bored at lvl 80 already, they welcome anything ‘different’ and some don’t like it at all. The worst part is not that it’s not funny, it’s that it will last a whole day.

For myself, who recently started playing and just wants to get to know the game and its content, this is a letdown. Forcing players to take some half-baked measures to make the game somewhat playable for them isn’t funny at all.

And i forgot to mention that although it might have not been planned that way, it reminds a LOT of players of the airplane crash a week ago. In my opinion, and it’s oc just an opinion, they could have thought about something better or changed it’s impact considering that.

I’ve looked at other 1st April fools pranks in other games, and believe me, they are often of a higher standard then this. Anyways, those that enjoy it, have fun with it.
The rest of us will either endure or play something different.

Posted by: Tony.8659

Tony.8659

What’s funny is Anet is not even responding to any of the April Fools posts.
Yeah good job there. Anyway, Anet why you couldn’t put a way to turn the joke on and off is beyond me. Maybe for the first few mins it was a bit funny but seriously do you think everyone who plays will like it? Do you guys not think at that company? Your on a roll here, first with that disaster of an update in March now this, so what will the HOT launch be this time strike 3? I sure as hell hope not, I’m looking forward to that expansion…

lordkrall.7241

To someones loved ones.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Vyshan.2345

Vyshan.2345

An internet blogger was recently butchered by knives – two bloggers in the past month, in fact.

I find it extremely offensive that knives, daggers, swords, or other bladed weapons are used in this video game. More so, that they’re used to mindlessly kill people by the hundreds.

(edited by Vyshan.2345)

Posted by: Kurr.4179

Kurr.4179

Im sympathetic to people who were affected by the plane crash, and i cant imagine how it would feel like to log into a game to find a joke on airplanes after having experienced that tragedy.

I think the least they could have done was made an acknowledgement about the crash or could have postponed teh event.

Altho it is kinda sad seeing that a lot of people are acting as if you should not care. If i were in that similar situation i would definitely care, even if it isnt anet’s fault.

The reason you shouldn’t care is because it literally has nothing to do with the plane crashes (notice I said crashes, because there are more crashes in a year than you seem to realize and just because the German one was disastrous doesn’t mean there aren’t hundreds of them a year). The sepia filter, the airplane noises… it’s obviously meant to be a joke on old kids who run around like this for fun.

Do you get offended that people are still using airplanes today, despite the crash in Germany? Clearly they are offensive to you right? I mean, they’re in an airplane, clearly it’s in bad taste.

Seriously, plane crashes happen. There were a few big ones last year too… kitten happens. RIP to those who died, it’s unrelated to an april’s fools in a video game.

Im not offended by it because im not german….If i were in that area or i knew someone on the plane i would obviously be offended. Im not sure 100% whether i agree they shouldnt have released it but i can see where the OP is coming from. Imagine if a plane had crashed in your state and then a week later you log on and see eveyrone in a video game smiling and making airplane noises…….

There was a plane crash in Halifax a few days ago.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/air-canada-flight-leaves-runway-044414287.html

I am not offended.

alcopaul.2156

To someones loved ones.

gg.

Posted by: Fermi.2409

Fermi.2409

Imagine if a plane had crashed in your state and then a week later you log on and see eveyrone in a video game smiling and making airplane noises……

I wouldn’t give a flying kitten. You know why? Because it’s not offensive in the slightest. If there was a mocking plane crash in game then maybe is be a little put off, but what we have now? Yeah, not at all.

HAF 912 | i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz | MSI GTX 1070 GAMING 8GB | Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
EGVA SuperNOVA B2 750W | 16 GB DDR3 1600 | Acer XG270HU | Win 10×64
MX Brown Quickfire XT | Commander Shaussman [AGNY]- Fort Aspenwood

Posted by: glyphofhealing.1609

glyphofhealing.1609

It was once stated that if “terrorists” disrupt our daily lives to the point where we begin to remove stuff from video games because of it then said “terrorists” win. I use the term terrorists to deem that this act of killing people by this copilot was not just suicide it was an act of terrorism. Race/Religion has nothing to do with whether it was a mass murder or a terrorist act. All mass murder acts are terrorism.

As for Anet doing the plane joke in game. More people are dying everyday of starvation then in airplanes. (Not saying that either is more of a tragedy than the other) So since that is the case Anet should remove all the cooking stations and consumables from the game.

Posted by: Altair.8402

Altair.8402

Well that’s just plane rude.

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

Yes, they do.

but to your loved ones?

Your point is ridiculous.

Anyone with any common sense would know that the April Fools joke has absolutely nothing to do with a plane crash in real life.

Quit drilling lordkrall and making terrible analogies about his family.

Posted by: Bekkr.6192

Bekkr.6192

They design these well in advance. They couldn’t have known 6 months ago that there would’ve been a plane crash recently.

They could have posponed the joke.

Yeah, April Fools’ jokes come off super well a week or two after April 1st.

The problem with the youth of today is that one is no longer part of it.
-Salvador Dali

lordkrall.7241

gg.

Why does it matter whose loved ones they are?
Are they somehow less important just because they are not my loved ones?

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Cactus Brawler.7415

Cactus Brawler.7415

You do know it plays music when you jump and die right Fermi?

Posted by: MrRuin.9740

MrRuin.9740

When I logged in tonight, I first smiled. April 1st… However, my smile froze rapidly. There was a major plane crash last week in France in which 150 people lost their lifes. For more information: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germanwings_Flight_9525

Given the recent event and given that the event is still present in the media, the idea was suboptimal. I would suggest taking out the april fool immediately and write an ingame apology.

There is tragedy every day. This a hyper-sensitive age we live in, where people will connect anything they can to take offense to something not even related.
There is war, shootings, car crashes, beatings, murders, robberies, natural disasters, famine, every single day in the world.
Shall we postpone the release of every game, movie and book that might somehow be connected to any of these and take offense where none was even close to being intended?

Posted by: Bekkr.6192

Bekkr.6192

MUSIC? And this music is… GOOFY? Where’s my pitchfork…

The problem with the youth of today is that one is no longer part of it.
-Salvador Dali

Posted by: simplesimon.2084

simplesimon.2084

I guess we shouldn’t watch the movie Airplane and Airplane 2: The Sequal aswell.

Posted by: Ralanost.8913

Ralanost.8913

And i forgot to mention that although it might have not been planned that way, it reminds a LOT of players of the airplane crash a week ago. In my opinion, and it’s oc just an opinion, they could have thought about something better or changed it’s impact considering that.

As much as I’m not a fan of this April Fool’s prank, this is just trying to be offended. Just stop it. There will always be some tragedy somewhere in the world. Comedy shouldn’t have to suffer for it. They aren’t referencing it. Just take it as the prank it is and get over yourself.

Posted by: Cactus Brawler.7415

Cactus Brawler.7415

I guess we shouldn’t watch the movie Airplane and Airplane 2: The Sequal aswell.

You do know in the wake of tragedies, TV networks do reschedule what they are showing right?

alcopaul.2156

When I logged in tonight, I first smiled. April 1st… However, my smile froze rapidly. There was a major plane crash last week in France in which 150 people lost their lifes. For more information: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germanwings_Flight_9525

Given the recent event and given that the event is still present in the media, the idea was suboptimal. I would suggest taking out the april fool immediately and write an ingame apology.

There is tragedy every day. This a hyper-sensitive age we live in, where people will connect anything they can to take offense to something not even related.
There is war, shootings, car crashes, beatings, murders, robberies, natural disasters, famine, every single day in the world.
Shall we postpone the release of every game, movie and book that might somehow be connected to any of these and take offense where none was even close to being intended?

yeah and they are reported in local tv and can reach to the internet news sites or youtube. we all see that.

but how would you feel man? do you pray or wish to not happen to you? if you do, what do you feel about the victims, or their loved ones?

i will give you in game gold if you wish that those tragedies that happen everyday happen to you.

Posted by: Ferguson.2157

Ferguson.2157

I see no correlation at all between this fantasy game and reality.

I’m a combat vet – should they stop all the killing in games as it is insensitive to me with my experiences with death and killing?, Of course not, that would be ludicrous.

Grow a thicker skin OP, or maybe games where we go about hacking things up with swords to kill them just isn’t for you.

“What, me worry?” – A. E. Neuman

Posted by: stale.9785

stale.9785

Have to say, I’m with the OP. The timing makes this in extremely poor taste. They could have done a last minute replacement. The sex change in GW1 comes to mind, as something that ought to be reasonably easy to do.

The airplane noises and pose are just… yeah. I’m a south park fan, for crying out loud, and THIS is still just wrong.

Posted by: Altair.8402

Altair.8402

I feel like the people complaining about this are also the ones complaining to kids to get off their lawns in real life.

Posted by: Arikyali.5804

Arikyali.5804

WWIII? Insensitive plane crashes? For the love of sanity…

People. Wake up.

This is beginning to devolve into paranoid conspiracy. Tragedies happen. People fight. The world can’t get along. It’s the sad truth of humanity. If we let every single disaster peg us down, our species wouldn’t exist. If no one couldn’t get their mind out of the gutter and find a way to fix the disaster.

Are we seriously going to link complete opposite events and and accuse programmers of being cold and insensitive because they didn’t forsee what others saw? Intent is the real key.

Yes, I’m being critical because this is utter [censor].

You know what the event reminded me of? Snoopy from Peanuts. A light-hearted comic about a dog chasing down the Red Baron.

An even greater insult would be to ignore the reality that tragedies happen. Even more insensitive to make taboo of the losses and grief people endured.

I don’t see this as a cruel insensitive joke of recent events. I’m seeing the impacts of historical events that had molded our society to attempt to bring out the reality of humanity. Selfless heroic acts, pain and grief that could have been avoided, and a reminder of what people survived through and struggled for.

We’ve shed our tears and it’s time to move on. For the families that lost love ones, my heart goes out to you. All of us, let’s stop bickering and fighting and just try and enjoy each other’s company, and have a good time. If we let the vices of our history rule our lives, we’ve already lost.

Posted by: Nilgoow.1037

Nilgoow.1037

I’m a south park fan, for crying out loud

i’m so sorry.

Posted by: ReV.6097

ReV.6097

Should have just given us SAB :/
Waiting for HoT with no content for a while now.
It just stops some long term players logging in, because were bored as h3ll.

GW2 Role Play Deviant art -
Legacy of Kain:
[link]http://fav.me/d8kgamy[/link]

lordkrall.7241

Have to say, I’m with the OP. The timing makes this in extremely poor taste. They could have done a last minute replacement. The sex change in GW1 comes to mind, as something that ought to be reasonably easy to do.

The airplane noises and pose are just… yeah. I’m a south park fan, for crying out loud, and THIS is still just wrong.

Oh, but the sex change thing could easily be connected with the tragic signing of the new law in Indiana for example, while not nearly as horrible as the plane crash, it is still something very offensive.

Not to mention transsexual people being abused and murdered around the globe rather often.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

(edited by lordkrall.7241)

Posted by: Azrael.3748

Azrael.3748

Really, people? THIS is what you find offensive? This is what you want to waste your time complaining about?

Get a life. Seriously.

Even if this WAS in poor taste, which is greatly debatable – you will be offended in life. Deal with it. Everyone complaining about this are the reason we have to be so politically correct in this world. It’s why a school will suspend a 5 year old for making a ‘gun’ with his fingers and playing with his friends. It’s the reason why people kittened and moaned and wanted the title of the 2nd Lord of the Rings movie, The Two Towers, changed, because 9/11 YOU GUYS HOW OFFENSIVE.

Good. Grief.

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

I can guarantee you this was in the works for much longer time than a few weeks.

Plus, honestly, being offended about this is ridiculous. You wouldn’t be offended if you saw kids in the street running around with their arms out making airplane noises (at least I hope), why would you be offended by this? Because there is absolutely no reasonable connection which justifies offense in either case.

A wise man once said only a fool seeks to take offense where none was meant.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

Posted by: Shyh.6908

Shyh.6908

Take it off, plz, it’s annoying, bad joke, think about who doesnt like this and next time put an option to disable if we want, dont make people accept things that you want only for joke. Think about everybody, you have all kind of people playing your game. Today Im not playing because of this, and dont back while this doesnt finish. Are you happy for this ARENANET?

Posted by: Ferguson.2157

Ferguson.2157

Amazing absolutely amazing.

OP did you know swords have killed the loved ones of thousands over the centuries and here we are all getting our jollies killing each other!

It’s a GAME.

A game that has no real correlation with reality. If you think this game does you need to stop, unplug, and take a walk outside and experience something real.

“What, me worry?” – A. E. Neuman

Posted by: sorrychief.2563

sorrychief.2563

my favorite author bombed people during WWII I support this message.

champion magus
previously rank 2 on old leaderboards
EG.secret.OG.NAVI.sorrychief

Posted by: DeadlySynz.3471

DeadlySynz.3471

I don’t see airplane mode. When I first logged on it reminded me of someone nailed to a cross. I’m not one to complain and I could care less, but I could see many people finding this outright offensive.

Posted by: Tordi.8174

Tordi.8174

I feel like the people complaining about this are also the ones complaining to kids to get off their lawns in real life.

Hah! Gamers with their own lawns… Silly people. This is more accustomed to your younger siblings comming to you in the living room and making fart noises in your face, sure it’s kinda funny for a second, then it’s just more and more tempting to go back to your room. I like that example better<.<

Posted by: Fermi.2409

Fermi.2409

You do know it plays music when you jump and die right Fermi?

Yeah. In the style of old timey stuff. It’s actually pretty funny.

HAF 912 | i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz | MSI GTX 1070 GAMING 8GB | Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
EGVA SuperNOVA B2 750W | 16 GB DDR3 1600 | Acer XG270HU | Win 10×64
MX Brown Quickfire XT | Commander Shaussman [AGNY]- Fort Aspenwood

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

While they are at it they should remove all violence right ?

Because people are stabbed and shot daily.

Posted by: olTThreelo.6710

olTThreelo.6710

If you can’t understand why people would complain, then you aren’t trying very hard. It was funny.. for 5 minutes. I never in my wildest dreams, as a relatively new player, thought this would go on for the entire day?? I have 2 days a week to play, tonight and tomorrow. My guild was planning on running dungeons, instead, every single one of them logged off in frustration. Now my plans have changed and I’ll be working on my Twitch channel instead of playing GW2 tonight.

I have a great sense of humor, I understand the joke, but 24 hours of this is over the top. This isn’t the game I purchased. We need the option to turn it off when it gets old and it’s old.

Nilgoow.1037

Exemption No. 1870C from the provisions of §§ 25.807©(1) and (5),
25.809(f)(1) and 25.813(b) of the Federal Aviation Regulations (FAR) was
granted June 2, 1986, to The Boeing Company (Boeing), P.O. Box 3707, Seattle,
Washington 98124. The exemption permits type certification of certain all-
cargo 747 series models with provisions for carriage on the upper deck of not
more than five persons other than flight crewmembers, with the total number of
upper deck occupants not to exceed eight. The upper deck must be configured
with one approved emergency exit having the dimensions of a Type I emergency
exit, and one approved emergency exit hatch that has eight inertia reels and
five body harnesses. The models to which the exemption applies are 747-100
(when modified from a passenger configuration to an all-cargo main deck
configuration in accordance with Supplemental Type Certificates (STC) SA976CE-
D, SA977CE-D and SA978CE-D), 747-200C and 747-200F. (The petitioner refers to
airplanes modified from a passenger configuration to an all-cargo main deck
configuration as `Special Freighters’ to distinguish them from others, such as
747-200C’s and 747-200F’s, that are manufactured as such.) The grant is
subject to certain additional conditions specified in the exemption.

Posted by: Kallandra.2610

Kallandra.2610

They could’ve just turned on SAB instead. Perhaps showed a little sensitivity to their European players.

Posted by: Pickles.9436

Pickles.9436

SAB was an sleeper april fools that became suddenly popular.
Bobblehead mode didn’t please everyone, but it was still funny to see some things with giant heads that really looked out of place.
Airplane joke? Totally missed its mark with me. I find it annoying more than funny. I know i can turn it off with post processing, but at the same time, I’d rather mute my speakers more, as just turning it off that was doesn’t seem like enough. People can say they like it, but compared to the others, it falls flat.

And it being based on a bug from the early days of beta….why did you choose this? I’d rather you have brought back some of the beta events, like the hunger games or the Shatter finale event. Those would’ve been more fun and entertaining than just bringing back an annoying bug.

Posted by: Zwieger.3428

Zwieger.3428

Insensitive? Really? The world today is ridiculous. Every time I turn around something is either racist or insensitive or rude or hurtful. People that want to stop racist, sexist and insensitive things need to stop pointing out every kitten thing that isn’t this. You are leading people to believe things that are harmless are really racist/sexist/insensitive when they are truly not. At all. Get over it. (FFS).

[DnT]
War – Master Zman | Thief – Masterzman

(edited by Zwieger.3428)

Nilgoow.1037

Insensitive? Really? The world today is ridiculous. Every time I turn around something is either racist or insensitive or rude or hurtful. People that want to stop racist, sexist and insensitive things need to stop pointing out every kitten thing that isn’t this. You are leading people to believe things that are harmless are really racist/sexist/insensitive when they are truly not. At all. Get over it. kitten .

check your privilege thanks

Posted by: steve.2945

steve.2945

April fools! planes don’t have feelings.

Proud TTS member

Posted by: Cactus.5298

Cactus.5298

Actually some of those Germans on the cited forums aren’t taking it in a negative light at all, and some even correctly recognized that it represents flight from another era. Should Anet cancel their glider skills because of the crashed flight?

Kind of weird that some would be up in arms over something so insignificant as an April Fools joke when there are so many things in the world happening today that is worth getting whiny about.

Silly people.

Posted by: Roda.7468

Roda.7468

Sorry for the losses of those affected but to everyone freaking out: Planes exist.

Seriously. You can reference a common object and not be referencing a specific indecent.

Anet acknowledged an old torso animation bug where it looked like your character was pretending to be an airplane and made it their april fools joke. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CunHb3TJsg

Anet did NOT see a news headline about a plane crash, program a filter effect, assign animations to all characters, record a harpsichord song, program an audio filter and got voice actors to go “NEEEEWWWWMMM BRRSSHHHKK VRRRRRMMMM” all in less than a week just so they could poke fun at a tragedy.

Tragedies suck, but that does not mean they own the objects they are involved with.

Posted by: Tigaseye.2047

Tigaseye.2047

It was once stated that if “terrorists” disrupt our daily lives to the point where we begin to remove stuff from video games because of it then said “terrorists” win. I use the term terrorists to deem that this act of killing people by this copilot was not just suicide it was an act of terrorism. Race/Religion has nothing to do with whether it was a mass murder or a terrorist act. All mass murder acts are terrorism.

As for Anet doing the plane joke in game. More people are dying everyday of starvation then in airplanes. (Not saying that either is more of a tragedy than the other) So since that is the case Anet should remove all the cooking stations and consumables from the game.

It wasn’t an act of terrorism.

The poor guy was severely mentally ill.

Or perhaps he wasn’t?

Perhaps being severely depressed, to the point of committing suicide, is logical in a world like this, where people think so simplistically, treat each other so badly and there is the biggest ever gap between the rich and the poor?

After all, we’re all going to die soon, either way, aren’t we?

But, I digress…

The point is, in most people’s eyes, wanting to kill yourself is mentally ill and that is what he was diagnosed as.

Therefore, that is what he was.

ETA: This filter needs some serious work. ><

“Turns out when people play the game, they don’t admire your feet at all.” sephiroth

(edited by Tigaseye.2047)

Posted by: DeadlySynz.3471

DeadlySynz.3471

When I first logged on, I didn’t think “plane” I thought cross, or someone nailed to a cross. Given the holiday coming up, I could see a lot of people finding this offensive.

Correct me if I’m wrong (as I havn’t really gone through the entire ToS), is there not something in there about religion or religious names or even slander? I mean if we can’t even elude to certain things that go against the ToS, how exactly can they put something like this forth (if Religious depictions are indeed against the ToS)?

If someone logs into the game and it appears to them that their character is nailed to cross, does this not go against their very ToS?