Healing Power...Was it Ever Fixed?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: DirtDowney.5187

DirtDowney.5187

I remember a while ago there was some talk about Healing Power being reworked so it was a little more attractive to spec into. I’m not sure if this ever happened but it still feels like its not worth investing in, even more so when compared to the other stats in the game.

Was there ever a re-work of Healing Power? And if so, what were the changes? Is there any talk about it being buffed in the future so it’s a little more balanced?

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Some skills have been shifted toward less base healing but bigger bonus with healing power but its still a little meh since there are limited gear combos and you need like 1000+ to see any real effect (ie sacrifice a ton of other stats).

Worth investing is relative. 3-4 healbot eles in a 50 man zerg can make a massive difference to sustain under pressure. PvE its pointless (maybe in raids I dont know) and likewise in sPvP.

Posted by: TheSwede.9512

TheSwede.9512

Healing Power is useful to a few professions. Tempests, Druids and Ventari Revs primarily, as they can be specced into dedicated healers.

In PvE, Healing Power is really only necessary in Raids to keep a squad going but it makes high-level fractals into EZ mode if you bring a Druid along. Druids will be doing most if not all the Healing here, and typically spec into Magi stats to pump out as much Healing as possible. (You don’t bring a Heal Druid for DPS, but the combination of their massive Heals and massive Damage-Buffing capabilities make them the unconditional kings and queens of PvE Healing.)

In sPvP, Druids use Mender Amulet (Pow/Healing Major, Prec/Vit Minor) to be effective Bunkers while Tempests use the same amulet to be the go-to Team Supporter/Healer.

Can’t speak for WvW as my potato of a computer won’t allow me to delve into it much, but supposedly there are both Tempests and Ventari Revs running around those parts. Would have to ask someone else about that.

Warrior – Wardancer | Guardian – Lorekeeper | Revenant – Vindicator |
Thief – Duelist | Ranger – Strider | Engineer – Technician |
Elementalist – Spellweaver | Necromancer – Warlock | Mesmer – Trickster |

Posted by: Doam.8305

Doam.8305

Slight changes but they can rework healing power all they want but we’ll never see any real results on a large enough scale.

The reason being the state of healing prefixes we only had three originally with cleric, magi, and apothecary I think. Which is rather few when compared to all the other three stat combinations and then you even have some like zealots requiring mats like watchwork mechanisms.

Looking into the new combinations we have even fewer options and certain ones like Sages are locked to pvp trinkets only. As a Mesmer I’d be more willing to try a healing set up if I could get Sages in PvE. If they had more options then there would be more people opting for healing.
There simply isn’t a whole lot of available or easily acquired prefixes around to give healers options

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

HealPow is still pretty much a trash stat. Maybe if it pulled extra duty in incoming healing as well (with self-heals balanced to moderate that), it might be worth using on something more than dedicated healers (some of which still don’t use it).

Basically, it’s small amounts of HealPow that are insignificant, so it’s not worth dipping into, but fully committing to it enough so that it’s even moderately useful guts a character’s offensive strength.
The other issue being that most heals just don’t make good use of HealPow numerically. 1000 HealPow might get you 200 healing out of a 20k HP pool, when that heal has a 20 second cooldown. (Very generic example. I’m not looking it up right now.) It’s just not worth it.
But attach that to a percent bonus to incoming healing (100HealPow = 1% increase, for example), and not only is it worth it for self-management, but tanks might consider taking it for sustain.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Most #6 Healing skills scale at 100% or better of Healing Power. Most of the exceptions either have additional defensive/recovery effects (Shelter, Your Soul is Mine), or constant healing over time (Healing Turret, Healing Signet), or technically uncapped healing potential based on some other factor (Litany of Wrath, Defiant Stance).

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

On top of bad scaling with a lot of skills and traits still, I think healing power suffers from the fact that Anet tried so hard to not enforce the trinity in GW2. Since most content doesn’t need a dedicate healer (maybe all? Raids might be possible without a dedicated healer, not sure), there is never much need for a stat that only increases your heals.

I think healing power would be better off if it was either converted into something that you only get from traits (for example healing prism. Hopefully this would be accompanied by a change to how it scales, since the amount of healing power anybody could achieve would be lowered dramatically), which would mean you wouldn’t have to sacrifice offensive stat sets to invest in healing power, you’d just have to invest in a defensive/support traitline/traits (which, if they are balanced, would be tradeoff enough). Or if it was reworked to have a secondary effect (could be anything really) so that you wouldn’t be forced into a purely healing role to make use of it in a game that doesn’t require dedicated healers.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Or if it was reworked to have a secondary effect (could be anything really) so that you wouldn’t be forced into a purely healing role to make use of it in a game that doesn’t require dedicated healers.

Ideas that had gone around the forums for a while were:

• Add the effect of Concentration (conceived on the forums before it was released as a stat) to Healing Power, change name to Support Power or something similar.
  • Nix HealPow and assume healing bonuses into Vitality.
  • Nix HealPow altogether and balance the game around static healing numbers.
  • Build into more trait lines and rune sets for “convert Healing Power into [relevant stat]” to recoup the loss of efficacy.

Sadly, I don’t see much of that happening.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Kir Sakar.3647

Kir Sakar.3647

Some skills have been shifted toward less base healing but bigger bonus with healing power but its still a little meh since there are limited gear combos and you need like 1000+ to see any real effect (ie sacrifice a ton of other stats).

Worth investing is relative. 3-4 healbot eles in a 50 man zerg can make a massive difference to sustain under pressure. PvE its pointless (maybe in raids I dont know) and likewise in sPvP.

But that depends. There are a couple of popular builds that depend on a moderate amount or healing power (350-500), especially for squisher classes in the PvP modes to get some sustain. Meta sPvP condi Mes uses minor healing power to make use of Restorative Illusions and the various D/D Ele roaming builds in WvW that need it to scale Regeneration and Signet of Restauration passive (?) up without sacrificing too much burst potential.

Charr Chronomancer | Asura Tempest | Charr Druid | Charr Guardian
(Seafarer’s Rest, EU)

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

healing power is ok if Anet will hever gives us a support/protective role/spec

hammer+shield XD

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

@Rauderi – I think it would benefit more from a defensive secondary nature. Something like reduce the effectiveness of conditions on you for every XXX healing power. Could be like for every 100 HP, conditions do 5% less damage (multiplicative), and soft CC except for immobilize are 5% less effective (multiplicative). That would go a long way towards turning HP into a bunker stat, it makes conditions less effective, and allows you to heal substantially better.

Posted by: Ben K.6238

Ben K.6238

Well, they could start by reducing baseline healing so that you get very limited effect from most heals and Regeneration if you don’t have any points in healing power.

It’s all very well avoiding the trinity, but if you focus entirely on DPS, you shouldn’t get full damage mitigation and healing for free. That’s how you ruin game balance.

Posted by: perilisk.1874

perilisk.1874

The downed state makes healing a lot less relevant in many cases, since it gives everyone an equally powerful 50% heal. Maybe if healing power affected reviving (including self-reviving) it would be more useful.

Ceterum censeo Sentim Punicam esse delendam

Posted by: Ben K.6238

Ben K.6238

The downed state also immobilizes you and allows you to be 1-shot from stealth, if we’re considering that part of normal gameplay. The only place I know of where it can be beneficial to stay downed as long as possible is water combat with a mesmer, because that phantasm hits like a truck.

(Actually, I wouldn’t mind having an Illusion of Weakness counterpart to Illusion of Life, if only because it could briefly give access to that phantasm… now that would be a risky move.)

Posted by: perilisk.1874

perilisk.1874

The downed state also immobilizes you and allows you to be 1-shot from stealth, if we’re considering that part of normal gameplay.

It’s more of a PvE issue, where there are often lots of revivers around, and almost nothing uses finishers.

Ceterum censeo Sentim Punicam esse delendam