In my opinion, this game requires too much grind

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: DoctorOverlord.8620

DoctorOverlord.8620

I haven’t had any issues with the content in GW2 as far as grinding.

A grind is killing boring street mobs underneath a grimy subway station in City of Heroes for hours just to gain a couple of levels so you can simply survive in what is hopefully a more interesting zone. A grind is making players go through timesinks because of gated content.

CoH may had had its strengths but that game had an old-school grind. And that is nothing like anything I have experienced in Guild Wars 2.

Check my GW2 Comic Dynamic Events http://goo.gl/JyB3J (Short Google Link to Fan Content Forum here)

Posted by: kenshinakh.3672

kenshinakh.3672

As far as Ascended goes, Anet is already adding more ways to get that gear. They said that a while ago. Back then, it can be considered grindier than the other things like exotics. But with every big patch, they’re adding more and more ways to get Ascended, so it’s not really something to complain about when they have plans to improve it.

Also, Ascended isn’t a gear treadmill. It is “vertical” in a sense, but its the same amount of vertical compared to rares → exotics. If the game was truely horizontal progression, then we should all be level 1. You got to realize that you don’t have true horizontal progression to start with… It was always a tiny step up here and there. But compared to WoW or other games where they focus on vertical progression, GW2’s progression is pretty horizontal. It’s not like where you have a major stats imbalance between Exotics and Ascended (In WoW, stats from TBC to WotLK and to CATA, and MOP are HUGE). There’s no argument there.

@Revolution, which stats are you aiming for? And what is your definition of “easy”? If Anet did claim stats would be easy to get, then wouldn’t that be true on an individual basis? Stats are easy for me to get up to exotics at this point. It’s definitely not as easy as clicking a button and getting it, but it’s quite easy for MMO standards, in my opinion.

Posted by: UnderdogSMO.9428

UnderdogSMO.9428

I never noticed a requirement to grind. I noticed alot of people chose to grind when they didn’t have to do so. I picked up full gear sets with the highest possible stats, just be playing and enjoying the game. Seems some people prefer grinding.

And how many hours a day do you play?

i have had a full set off exotics for some time now AND also have changed out a few parts for stats that fit my build better.

I only ever play for a few hours on my 2 day’s off, and if i have time i may log on for an hour after work SOME TIME’s

i am by no means rich but I also dont have anything to spend my cash on other than a few waypoints and some gear repairs when i need them.

if it dosnt lock you out of content than its not a grind.

Okay same argument that you and everyone else like you has avoided. ANET CLAIMED that stats would be easy to get.

To anyone else that will be like the guy above how does radically changing the above not mean this game is grind?
And avoiding the question only means that you know that the so called casuals are in right.

stats relevant to the content are easy to get.

i was running around in some ugly exotics really early on. now I’m running around in awesome looking exotics shrug

why do you feel that you should be able to get all the best gear for no work what so ever even when not having said “best gear” locks you out of NOTHING, and frankly i have no desire to get acended level anything yet as it would bust my build and make me less effective.

if you can do EVERYTHING in the game and obtain what is needed to do such content quickly and easily how is that a grind, at what point dose it make you get super high, hard to get , time consuming equipment to do anything in this game you payed for. (NEVER)

UnderdogSMO.9428

As far as Ascended goes, Anet is already adding more ways to get that gear. They said that a while ago. Back then, it can be considered grindier than the other things like exotics. But with every big patch, they’re adding more and more ways to get Ascended, so it’s not really something to complain about when they have plans to improve it.

Also, Ascended isn’t a gear treadmill. It is “vertical” in a sense, but its the same amount of vertical compared to rares -> exotics. If the game was truely horizontal progression, then we should all be level 1. You got to realize that you don’t have true horizontal progression to start with… It was always a tiny step up here and there. But compared to WoW or other games where they focus on vertical progression, GW2’s progression is pretty horizontal. It’s not like where you have a major stats imbalance between Exotics and Ascended (In WoW, stats from TBC to WotLK and to CATA, and MOP are HUGE). There’s no argument there.

@Revolution, which stats are you aiming for? And what is your definition of “easy”? If Anet did claim stats would be easy to get, then wouldn’t that be true on an individual basis? Stats are easy for me to get up to exotics at this point. It’s definitely not as easy as clicking a button and getting it, but it’s quite easy for MMO standards, in my opinion.

one of the big things that people dont seem to get is WHY there doing it over the cores of a year.

Yes its going to be a bit of a tredmill but unlike wow were its just Full set after full set after full set, with large jumps in skill points atached to eachset of gear.

Anets way of doing it slowly lets content all be accessible to every one and you dont get locked out.

as time go’s by more ascended gear will slowly show up and it will get slowly easier and easier to get, so when any new players start thay can vary quickly catch up to every one ells.

and than when new content dose come out it will still all be accessible to everyone vary quickly and than another vary slowly progressing tear of gear will arrive that you don’t have to have to do the content that will be available at that time.

it is a gear tread but its not the rediclusness that locks you out of content that wow is, its vary likely you could drop this game for a year or 2 come back and get the gear needed VARY quickly.

(edited by UnderdogSMO.9428)

UnderdogSMO.9428

if I ever need ascended gear to do content and that ascended gear has not become just as quick and easy to get as my exotic gear was to obtain. THAN i will start haveing problems with it.

right now its nothing but an extra to work for for people who love the game and its cerant content.

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

Sure, we can grind away in an effort to obtain the most desirable gear in the game, but we can also participate in and enjoy every aspect this game has to offer without it.

What game was this not possible in? Excluding end-game raiding, which GW2 doesn’t offer in the first place…

You’re asking for an example of gear checks, and then telling my I can’t cite WoW’s raids as an example of gear checks? Okay. I’ll go another route, then.

In FFXI you couldn’t step foot in “Sea” unless you were an excellent player with very good gear or a very good player with excellent gear, or waited years and years and years for them to remove the level cap on the Promathia fights. You want to talk about grinding for gear in an MMO? Try camping Charby for a Joyeuse, then get back to me.

Or let’s look at LotRO. It’s a free2play MMO. But unless you’re willing to voluntarily forfeit the free2play part, then you’re required to grind in order to access most of the game’s content. And I’m sure players of RIFT, EQ, TOR, or any of the dozens of Korean-made MMO’s could speak to actual grinding.

darkace.8925

Okay same argument that you and everyone else like you has avoided. ANET CLAIMED that stats would be easy to get.

Sorry, pal, but you’re the one who’s avoiding the argument. We’ve already illustrated that “getting stats” is as easy as tossing a couple of silver on the TP for basic gear.

And I’ve asked you for a link, a quote, or a citation to any interview where ArenaNet claimed getting top-tier stats would be easy, which you’ve failed to provide. You’re making stuff up, and then you’re pretending that the argument you’ve built on something that doesn’t exist is rock-solid. It’s all very laughable, but I’m going to once again ask for that link/quote/citation just so we call all watch you once again dodge away.

And avoiding the question only means that you know that the so called casuals are in right.

You’ve made far too much of a fuss over top-tiered gear to be a casual player. Casual players don’t complain about grinding for BiS gear, hardcore players do. Actually, that’s not fair to hardcore players. Hardcore players don’t complain about grinding for BiS gear, they buckle down and get them. Wannabe-hardcore players complain about grinding for BiS gear.

why do you feel that you should be able to get all the best gear for no work what so ever even when not having said “best gear” locks you out of NOTHING, and frankly i have no desire to get acended level anything yet as it would bust my build and make me less effective.

if you can do EVERYTHING in the game and obtain what is needed to do such content quickly and easily how is that a grind, at what point dose it make you get super high, hard to get , time consuming equipment to do anything in this game you payed for. (NEVER)

This point has been brought up several times, and each and every time he’s conveniently failed to address it (and he’ll do so again). He then accuses others of dodging the issue. At this point I think it’s pretty clear what his motivations with this thread are.

(edited by darkace.8925)

Posted by: Revolution.6301

Revolution.6301

Well the point is stats should not be so costly. This is my MAIN point. And clearly Dark more then enough people agree with me. I am pointing out a fact, this fact is like saying the sky is blue.

darkace.8925

Well the point is stats should not be so costly. This is my MAIN point. And clearly Dark more then enough people agree with me. I am pointing out a fact, this fact is like saying the sky is blue.

This post, as with many of your other posts, contains no factual truths. “Stats should not be so costly” is both a subjective statement and it’s so vague that anyone can truthfully respond by saying “stats don’t cost much at all.” And “more than enough people agree with me” is another subjective, non-specific statement with no factual basis.

If you want to debate like a big boy? Try posting something containing actual, objective, factual truth instead of this…stuff…you’ve be rehashing throughout this thread.

Revolution.6301

What do the rest of you think? Do you think the cost to get Stats is to high? How should it be lowered? What about ascended?

Posted by: Czar Peter.7961

Czar Peter.7961

People are looking at it from completely different perspectives. On one hand we have traditional MMO players who are used to long grinds, gear checks and increasing level caps who are amazed that people think GW2 is grindy. On the other hand we have GW1 players and others who bought into GW2 being a “non traditional MMO” who are as outraged about vertical progression as HoN or Dota 2 players would be if it was introduced into those games.

I’m still waiting on ANet to make good on their promise to make ascended items available in WvW; the current laurel system is completely inadequate. Adding a huge incentive for players to log in daily or be left behind is one of the oldest tricks in the MMO book. ANet can fix this by making laurels purchasable through karma and badges of honor.

Engineer – Thief – Warrior

Posted by: Korsbaek.9803

Korsbaek.9803

Also, you can craft an exotic set for 5 or 6 gold if you’ve played the game to 80 and harvested as you went along.

Complete hogwash. It costs that much just to buy the globs of ectoplasm needed for a couple pieces of exotic jewelry.

Baloney, by the time I hit 80 on my necro last week (3rd lvl 80), I had 25 pieces of ecto. You know, from breaking down the rares I was crafting, running around in Orr farming and just playing the game. Bought 5 more ectos…and a few other mats and crafted a full set of rampagers armor. Jewelry later…but everything is rare.

5 gold and some change..total

A set of exotic jewelry requires 25 globs of ectoplasm. That would cost 10 gold on the trading company, currently. Not everyone gets so lucky to see that many rares drop, and even if they do, there’s no guarantee you’ll get an ectoplasm. I’m curious to know how long it took you to grind out 25 ectos?

the 25 ectos is about 2 days worth(with only a level 10+ and a level 8- fractal) and if unlucky its done in 3 days if you salvege all the rares you get in there not to mention the cores/lodstones for gold. if you dont like fractals then do some events to get rare loot off level 76(think that is the level of ectos) and put them in the forge, sell the exotics you get and salvage the rares for ectos

it all depends on what you see as a grind, is it a grind that you not get your gear at the seconed you ding 80(in my oppinion no) else it could also be stated that getting to 80 is also a grind but so far i dont see people complian about that in the same way(all that you do repeately can be seen as grind)

and trading post prices cant be taken into account for what it cost to get exotic or any other gear as its a free market living on supply and demand(so in theory you can get all your gear for 130 treads 1 gold 4silver and 65 copper as thats the minimum price all the mats for a full set of exotic expet pack piece can be bought for on TP(none are selling it at thoes prices tho) as the minimum price to sell an item for is 1 copper over the value to sell it to a npc)

so please leave the TP out of this discousion as it has nothing to do with the game being a grind or not

Commander Korsbaek lvl 80 Guardian
Ayano Yagami lvl 80 ele

(edited by Korsbaek.9803)

Posted by: StormageddonBK.9842

StormageddonBK.9842

To get rid of the grind you have to have all gear with the same stats, just different cosmetic appearance. This way people won’t feel compelled to grind for extra damage etc.

Revolution.6301

People are looking at it from completely different perspectives. On one hand we have traditional MMO players who are used to long grinds, gear checks and increasing level caps who are amazed that people think GW2 is grindy. On the other hand we have GW1 players and others who bought into GW2 being a “non traditional MMO” who are as outraged about vertical progression as HoN or Dota 2 players would be if it was introduced into those games.

I’m still waiting on ANet to make good on their promise to make ascended items available in WvW; the current laurel system is completely inadequate. Adding a huge incentive for players to log in daily or be left behind is one of the oldest tricks in the MMO book. ANet can fix this by making laurels purchasable through karma and badges of honor.

And this is how as a GuildWars 1 player I feel. I played that game for countless hours because of this ideaology.
As someone who has complete faith in Anet -they were a key reason why I played GW1 I know they will remember the GW1 community and amend for this.

Anet please listen to us, we are willing to pay just as much if not more then the other players. But as of right now I can’t see the sense in it because I know (stat wise) I will probably never be on par with those who have the time to play.

(edited by Revolution.6301)

Revolution.6301

Are there any GW1 players that feel this way?

Posted by: Redfeather.6401

Redfeather.6401

I’m a GW1 player, and I know GW2 is designed to pigeon-hole characters into a place where the only means to escape feeling stale is to engage in really tedious resource sinks.

(edited by Redfeather.6401)

Revolution.6301

I’m a GW1 player, and I know GW2 is designed to pigeon-hole characters into a place where the only means to escape feeling stale is to engage in really tedious resource sinks.

Which is sad since GW2 should have improved on what GW1 great. The combat is fine, its just the way they designed getting stats and what not.

kenshinakh.3672

GW1 player here too. Though I have played quite a lot of other MMOs too. I have a different perspective though. I see GW2 as different game from GW1. There are similar aspects and stories, but it’s ultimately a different game. Like a game that evolved from GW1.

@Redfeather, I strongly disagree with your view. Grinding for any single thing makes it stale, so I avoid that by spreading my gaming over bits of time, and by doing different activities. If you seriously play this game casually, then you shouldn’t feel like you’re grinding and having a tedious experience. If you play “casually” like I do, then stats don’t matter to you. I still enjoy the game without max stats lol. My guild and friends always joked about how I am badly geared (I had 78 exotics for like 1 month before I cared to upgrade), but it didn’t stop my enjoyment. I COULD HAVE upgraded to 80 exotics much earlier, but I didn’t out of laziness and saved up my gold and emblems.

It’s really not that bad as some of you guys make it out to be. If you reached exotics, you don’t really have to get ascended. You could if you wanted though, and it’ll give you a small stat boost for your efforts. But if you dislike grind, then don’t go for it. Just slowly gather up fractal stuff for like 2-3 months and then use it, or wait for when they add more ways to get fractal items.

Czar Peter.7961

GW1 player here too. Though I have played quite a lot of other MMOs too. I have a different perspective though. I see GW2 as different game from GW1. There are similar aspects and stories, but it’s ultimately a different game. Like a game that evolved from GW1.

@Redfeather, I strongly disagree with your view. Grinding for any single thing makes it stale, so I avoid that by spreading my gaming over bits of time, and by doing different activities. If you seriously play this game casually, then you shouldn’t feel like you’re grinding and having a tedious experience. If you play “casually” like I do, then stats don’t matter to you. I still enjoy the game without max stats lol. My guild and friends always joked about how I am badly geared (I had 78 exotics for like 1 month before I cared to upgrade), but it didn’t stop my enjoyment. I COULD HAVE upgraded to 80 exotics much earlier, but I didn’t out of laziness and saved up my gold and emblems.

It’s really not that bad as some of you guys make it out to be. If you reached exotics, you don’t really have to get ascended. You could if you wanted though, and it’ll give you a small stat boost for your efforts. But if you dislike grind, then don’t go for it. Just slowly gather up fractal stuff for like 2-3 months and then use it, or wait for when they add more ways to get fractal items.

I’d agree with you if GW2’s action styled combat was enough to carry the game on its own. It isn’t. It’s certainly very interactive for an RPG but not enough to be an actual action game. It’s great that the gameplay alone is enough for you but it isn’t for others.

A major source of enjoyment that I and other GW1 players find involves experimenting with different builds of traits, skills and equipment. Part of the reward comes from simply having a novel play style, but it also comes from the fact that you know you’ve crafted a quality and competitive build, having considered the constraints and trade-offs. GW1 catered to this play style by having dirt cheap basic maxed armor and a plethora of skills. GW2 has fewers skills, no secondary profession, expensive exotic items and grind-worthy ascended items. It is the opposite of GW1.

Revolution.6301

I’d agree with you if GW2’s action styled combat was enough to carry the game on its own. It isn’t. It’s certainly very interactive for an RPG but not enough to be an actual action game. It’s great that the gameplay alone is enough for you but it isn’t for others.

A major source of enjoyment that I and other GW1 players find involves experimenting with different builds of traits, skills and equipment. Part of the reward comes from simply having a novel play style, but it also comes from the fact that you know you’ve crafted a quality and competitive build, having considered the constraints and trade-offs. GW1 catered to this play style by having dirt cheap basic maxed armor and a plethora of skills. GW2 has fewers skills, no secondary profession, expensive exotic items and grind-worthy ascended items. It is the opposite of GW1.

ZOMG you understand the actual issues in this game? Finally someone with a logical view to all of this!!!
That is somthing I enjoyed to. So many builds to mess around with never made it boring. What should have been is aload of skills + this combat. And the combat really isn’t pure action. I wish there was game with combat like Dark Souls but thats just me.

Posted by: killcannon.2576

killcannon.2576

Gw1 is not and never was a MMORPG, GW1’s impact upon GW2 is only based upon the lore of GW1 and a few game mechanics. Comparing two games that are not of the same genre for grind is illogical. May as well compare NWN2 to GW2 if you do that.

Czar Peter.7961

Gw1 is not and never was a MMORPG, GW1’s impact upon GW2 is only based upon the lore of GW1 and a few game mechanics. Comparing two games that are not of the same genre for grind is illogical. May as well compare NWN2 to GW2 if you do that.

That’s fair enough and to be honest, the developers made some of these issues clear before the release of GW2. However, some players may not have had the diligence to do an extensive background check on all games they purchase and simply bought the game because it’s called Guild Wars 2.

Posted by: FurySong.6348

FurySong.6348

This game doesn’t require you to grind for max gear. It simply does not. Wanting max gear is your own endeavor, you can still play dungeons without max gear, you can still play in level 80 areas with max gear, you can still walk around Lion’s Arch without max gear, you can still waypoint to other zones without max gear, you can still complete the map without max gear.

This game was not targeted for the “casuals!!!!”, this game was targeted for any kind of kitten player that decided to buy the game in the first place. That is why Fractals exists, that is why map completion exists, that is why sPvP exists, that is why WvW exists, and that is why you can play any one part of these things that GW2 has to offer in any way you wish.

Skins are purposely grindy because they’re optional, Legendaries fall into this. You also cannot argue about the stat changes to a Legendary and deeming it “required” just because it’s going to get an update to its stats after Ascended weapons come out. You are forgetting that first and foremost an ASCENDED WEAPON will exist.

The only thing I can agree is about Ascended items and Agony, but instead of arguing on the forum for countless hours about the grind, why don’t you either:

1. Play the kitten game
or
2. Leave

This game does not force you to play. It has no subscription. ArenaNet will not miss you.
That is the truth.

Revolution.6301

In Gw1 max stats were dirt cheap and ANET CLAIMED that it would be the same for Gw2.
You can’t deny this. So many articles support this.

Czar Peter.7961

The only thing I can agree is about Ascended items and Agony, but instead of arguing on the forum for countless hours about the grind, why don’t you either:

1. Play the kitten game
or
2. Leave

This game does not force you to play. It has no subscription. ArenaNet will not miss you.
That is the truth.

Because consumers should never communicate with the developers about concerns with their product, they should either suck it up or leave.

kenshinakh.3672

ZOMG you understand the actual issues in this game? Finally someone with a logical view to all of this!!!
That is somthing I enjoyed to. So many builds to mess around with never made it boring. What should have been is aload of skills + this combat. And the combat really isn’t pure action. I wish there was game with combat like Dark Souls but thats just me.

I’ve been giving you a very logical view this whole time too, but you chose not to acknowledge it.

Yes, GW1 does have more abilities and more builds, but GW2 also has its own combat style that GW1 doesn’t match. Remember how in GW1 you can’t jump, and your characters have path finding? Well, in GW2, you got a lot of movement type combat. In a way, they did made it more complex in one aspect, and toned it down in another. It’s a different style all together if you ask me, but I think they still provide you a decent amount of skills to use and customize.

Remember, you have 5 skill slots, and 2 weapons, so that’s 10 skills just right there. And you can use different combos of weapons, which increases the variety. Also, you have 3 utility slots that have about 20+ utilities to pick from. Add the healing slot and elite slot, and you got some more.

It’s not as varied as GW1 where you can combine professions, but it has enough complexity to keep it interesting.

killcannon.2576

That’s fair enough and to be honest, the developers made some of these issues clear before the release of GW2. However, some players may not have had the diligence to do an extensive background check on all games they purchase and simply bought the game because it’s called Guild Wars 2.

If you are comparing the two games, I assume you are a fan of GW1, and most likely aware of what type of game it was. It is also logical to believe that since you were a fan of said game, you would have followed news and been up to date on a GW2 release, therefor knowing that GW2 did not follow GW1’s mechanics or gameplay to a large extent.

People who did not play GW1 were fully aware this was a MMORPG, as it was stated many times over the games life cycle and promotional material.

The whole argument of " I thought I was buying GW1 part 2" has no basis in fact.

Czar Peter.7961

If you are comparing the two games, I assume you are a fan of GW1, and most likely aware of what type of game it was. It is also logical to believe that since you were a fan of said game, you would have followed news and been up to date on a GW2 release, therefor knowing that GW2 did not follow GW1’s mechanics or gameplay to a large extent.

People who did not play GW1 were fully aware this was a MMORPG, as it was stated many times over the games life cycle and promotional material.

The whole argument of " I thought I was buying GW1 part 2" has no basis in fact.

I played GW1 actively and watched some gameplay videos of GW2; it was far from obvious that GW2 would be a conventional MMO. If I really looked hard, I suppose I would’ve found quotes from the developer about the “shallow power curve” and “raising the level cap”. Oh well, caveat emptor I guess. It’s not like only a few people felt baited though, the announcement of vertical progression divided opinions. I’m just presenting the arguments against GW2’s design direction for those people who haven’t left yet.

darkace.8925

In Gw1 max stats were dirt cheap and ANET CLAIMED that it would be the same for Gw2.
You can’t deny this. So many articles support this.

Prove it. Unless you want us all to think you a troll, provide a link to just one of the “many” articles in which ArenaNet claimed obtaining max stats in GW2 would be dirt cheap.

Posted by: Visiroth.5914

Visiroth.5914

They said that this was coming in Feb.

killcannon.2576

I played GW1 actively and watched some gameplay videos of GW2; it was far from obvious that GW2 would be a conventional MMO. If I really looked hard, I suppose I would’ve found quotes from the developer about the “shallow power curve” and “raising the level cap”. Oh well, caveat emptor I guess. It’s not like only a few people felt baited though, the announcement of vertical progression divided opinions. I’m just presenting the arguments against GW2’s design direction for those people who haven’t left yet.

I feel the same as you about the addition of ascended gear, I posted more than a few times during the days leading up to the Nov. patch about my feelings on it. From what I have seen the addition of that gear tier has brought more divisiveness into the community than anything else, which people stated it would indeed do. But with the current patch as a first step, I hope to see ascended become more accepted over all. It’s a great game, but it is still very early in it’s life cycle. With this MMO I can forgive or look aside a great deal, simply because for 60 dollars there are very few games out there with this much content, and fun.

Posted by: Hellkaiser.6025

Hellkaiser.6025

fun is subjective, I logged on for the first time in weeks earlier and my home server (which i’m now stuck on) is dead…. sooo I guest to desolation. And think fractals joining should be less stringent i’ll go there. 30 minutes of spammage later and listening to a load of nonsensical idling gibbering fools in map chat and no frac run at all. So I said sod it and left to go and level up my guardian, came across 2 people and after running around for a few minutes with the second suddenly realised that the charr guardian was in fact a bot…. on his own… with a normal-ish name, repeatedly running around in a circle killing stuff…. so… would folks like to reiterate to me just HOW is this game “teeming with life” :/

Cos to me it wasn’t, and it was far from what I would consider…fun… and I have a broad definition of “fun”

Irony…. xD

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Define “easy”? The whole debate here centers around “easy”. To me, it’s “easy”, to you, it’s not “easy”, to Anet it’s a different “easy”.

There’s no easy way to debate on the exact words Anet said because “easy” might not actually be “easy”, while it might actually be entirely too “easy” to others.

I have played 1500+ hours and never, repeat never seen an exotic item drop in open world ever…

And im not talking map completions….no open world chests, mobs or boss creatures have ever dropped an Exotic for me, no hyperbole and i very rarely see rares 2 a week if lucky…

Why?

Every exotic i got was from Trading post, Crafting, Tokens or Map Completions…Rare Dungeons..

UnderdogSMO.9428

And this is how as a GuildWars 1 player I feel. I played that game for countless hours because of this ideaology.
As someone who has complete faith in Anet -they were a key reason why I played GW1 I know they will remember the GW1 community and amend for this.

Anet please listen to us, we are willing to pay just as much if not more then the other players. But as of right now I can’t see the sense in it because I know (stat wise) I will probably never be on par with those who have the time to play.

The problem with this argument is even in gw1 there was a tredmill the only diffeance being that unlike an open world mmo that keeps moveing forward in gw1 you got bounced back and started what was basicly a hole new game to work your way up all over again

Posted by: Saxon.1908

Saxon.1908

I completely disagree. Yes there is some Grind here, but it’s the stuff that you don’t need- and definitely not a level-grind (which I think was probably what they ment by no-grind anyway).

Legendary. Completely a Vanity/Prestige item. How else do you make something like this rare without a time-consuming Grind. I mean if a Legendary had a 100% drop rate off the Last Boss in Arah no one would give much of a care for it.
Gold Grind. I’ve managed to fully Gear 3 80’s in Exotic gear without spending Hundreds of Gold, (actually I’d say I spent less then 10), I’m just not sure what you feel you need Hundreds of Gold for (Unless you are talking about using it for a Legendary, in which case ‘See above’).

Ascended gear. OK AC gear is more then a vanity increase, but it’s still only a small upgrade- and what do you need that upgrade for? mostly for doing harder Fractals. Basically the fractals are there to get gear that you need to do the fractals. You can skip it completely if your not interested,. You’d hardley be missing out.

Karma. Using a Karma Booster you need less then 40 Karma Jugs for a complete set of Karma Gear. That’s one month of Dailies and Monthlys, Not including the KArama you get from events. This is not only acheivable, but you should be getting your dailies simply by playing the game. And if you can’t get the monthly for some reason it’s only another 10 days of Dailies to make the numbers.

Posted by: Max Lexandre.6279

Max Lexandre.6279

Devs try to avoid grind but they aren’t capable of doing so. The new changes require us to grind, and in my case because I want that gear I’m doing things I don’t like, and i’m not havin fun o get them. Because there is no alternative….

That’s grind.

I’m The Best in Everything.
Asura thing.

Posted by: Kenney.2863

Kenney.2863

This topic actually made me lol…he said “too much grind”. You don’t know a grind game brah, keep this topic moving.

Posted by: Ghost.3045

Ghost.3045

I have a solution! hear me out:

After reading the first 5 pages of this thread, it occurred to me…
We should petition/forcefully suggest to Anet to create a set of items for gamers like the OP.

Give this item to them via mail if they type in a command such as: (similar to GW1 bonus item delivery)

/whine chest (mail a BiS chest item)
/whine helm (mail a BiS helm item)…etc
– can add a restriction that require the completion of story mode…at least that’s not grinding right???

The catch is that these items are opposite of legendary, think fugly…and of course cannot be transmuted. It’s basically a “Scarlet Letter”. Anyone seen with this armor means they are casual gamers and don’t care about shinies, how they look, or can’t stand the “grind”.

This is serious, think about it. It’s the opposite of shinies. I think it might work.
For those of us who can afford exotics or higher, we don’t care about a player clad in fully fuglies. Why? mainly because if
they played enough of the game to be good/competitive, they would automatically have enough resources to get exotics. And if
work=reward; reward in this case cool designed items, then non-work=no-reward=fuglies.

What do you guys think?

FYI, I am a casual player myself(4-7 hours a week), and have no issues with the repetition of this game.

Posted by: Avatar.1923

I have a solution! hear me out:

After reading the first 5 pages of this thread, it occurred to me…
We should petition/forcefully suggest to Anet to create a set of items for gamers like the OP.

Give this item to them via mail if they type in a command such as: (similar to GW1 bonus item delivery)

/whine chest (mail a BiS chest item)
/whine helm (mail a BiS helm item)…etc
– can add a restriction that require the completion of story mode…at least that’s not grinding right???

The catch is that these items are opposite of legendary, think fugly…and of course cannot be transmuted. It’s basically a “Scarlet Letter”. Anyone seen with this armor means they are casual gamers and don’t care about shinies, how they look, or can’t stand the “grind”.

This is serious, think about it. It’s the opposite of shinies. I think it might work.
For those of us who can afford exotics or higher, we don’t care about a player clad in fully fuglies. Why? mainly because if
they played enough of the game to be good/competitive, they would automatically have enough resources to get exotics. And if
work=reward; reward in this case cool designed items, then non-work=no-reward=fuglies.

What do you guys think?

FYI, I am a casual player myself(4-7 hours a week), and have no issues with the repetition of this game.

hahaha i kind of think this is an amazing idea

^

seriously, seriously, seriously. ok 15.

Posted by: Przemek.6835

Przemek.6835

Agree with everything but Gold grind. Never had more than 10 gold. I am full exotic, spent like 4 gold on that. I am fully geared on my necro AND I have all gear transmutated to what I want. Took me one week doing 2-3 dungs per day.

Posted by: rooster.2745

rooster.2745

thats so great about it , you either do or you dont , and your not obligated to play at all for that matter because its all totally free ,.. can do importatnt rl matters for couple months come back , and not worry about omg i had to spend 15 a month and i couldnt play , legendary totally optional , not much more on stats etc just fun lighting effects an textures,. play it for what it is , and enjoy , ,. cheers

Revolution.6301

Agree with everything but Gold grind. Never had more than 10 gold. I am full exotic, spent like 4 gold on that. I am fully geared on my necro AND I have all gear transmutated to what I want. Took me one week doing 2-3 dungs per day.

3 per day. Here’s my problem many people don’t have time to do 1 per day. Again your not appreciating the casual crowd here.

(edited by Revolution.6301)

kenshinakh.3672

You get nearly 1G in a dungeon run if you don’t skip dungeon content. So in a week of running 1 dungeon a day, you should have around 5-6g a week. That’s pretty easy right?

Btw, I’m part of the casual crowd… I’ve been repeating myself several times that if you’re in the casual crowd, working slowly over a month for gear shouldn’t be an issue lol.

Revolution.6301

You get nearly 1G in a dungeon run if you don’t skip dungeon content. So in a week of running 1 dungeon a day, you should have around 5-6g a week. That’s pretty easy right?

Btw, I’m part of the casual crowd… I’ve been repeating myself several times that if you’re in the casual crowd, working slowly over a month for gear shouldn’t be an issue lol.

but exotic isn’t the top tier gear anymore. Ascended is.

its not grind to get ascended gear.
its just boring, and takes time because of the 1 laurel per day max.

but the daily changes and you can do it in different places.
thats not a grind in my book.

Revolution.6301

its not grind to get ascended gear.
its just boring, and takes time because of the 1 laurel per day max.

but the daily changes and you can do it in different places.
thats not a grind in my book.

isn’t somthing that is boring a grind?

i think the mmo definition of a grind is repeating content over and over.

gw2 dailies arent that if you dont want them to be.
but they re boring at high level because its not challenging its simply time cossuming and too easy.

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

i think the mmo definition of a grind is repeating content over and over.

gw2 dailies arent that if you dont want them to be.
but they re boring at high level because its not challenging its simply time cossuming and too easy.

I found this.

What I done was craft a set of blue armour and weapons, and bought a White, no level set, for each of the levels, then equip the level under it (So going into Queensdale, I’d equip the white set. Going into Fireheart Rise, I’d equip the level 40 set)

It’s a pain, but the challenge is there then until they (hopefully) harshen the scaling.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

kenshinakh.3672

but exotic isn’t the top tier gear anymore. Ascended is.

I can still casually enjoy the game without having to get ascended gear. I plan to spread my gear grab for ascended over a month or two anyways, so there’s no need for me to grind for it. Ascended gear’s stats add a few points over exotics. That’s not really something I care to go for.