Inequality in ascended crafting.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Kadin.2356

Kadin.2356

I was highly amused at how vastly unbalanced, monetarily, ascended armor crafting was, between armor types, when it first dropped. Naturally I waited for a patch to address the issue. That was back in 2013. It really is a joke between guild members that GW2 charges a “cloth tax” to anyone who wants to play a light armor class. If you don’t know what I’m talking about just look here.

As far as I can tell there are 3 main problems:

1. The mat requirements for bolts of damask are insane.
2. The light armor class has to shell out 18% more than heavy and 24% more than medium. Source.
3. Anet can’t make any change without angering everyone that already spent the money.

My suggestion to fix this would be to:

1. Decrease the mat requirements for damask significantly.
2. Increase the mat requirements for elonian leather squares and deldrimor steel ingot’s slightly.
3. Give everyone that already invested in light ascended armor something. I know handing out gems or gold would make your economy guy have a minor seizure but even a title like “Worlds Biggest Sucker” or something would go a long way. I mean seriously how did this get past QA without at least someone pointing out how stupid it was? Why has this not even been addressed in over a year?

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

Hmmm this is interesting. I’m actually surprised nobody has noticed this before. Perhaps they could give beta access to everyone that has a light armor set unlocked in wardrobe and say maybe a special armor set exclusive to them. Or maybe a special cloth rack in home instance that has no cool down so they can just click on it till they have enough cloth?

Posted by: Andraus.3874

Andraus.3874

This has been brought up a lot. Unfortunately it’s here to stay. Although if you farm SW you’ll find yourself getting tons of cloth.

Posted by: Moss.5371

Moss.5371

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

I was highly amused at how vastly unbalanced, monetarily, ascended armor crafting was, between armor types, when it first dropped. Naturally I waited for a patch to address the issue. That was back in 2013. It really is a joke between guild members that GW2 charges a “cloth tax” to anyone who wants to play a light armor class. If you don’t know what I’m talking about just look here.

As far as I can tell there are 3 main problems:

1. The mat requirements for bolts of damask are insane.
2. The light armor class has to shell out 18% more than heavy and 24% more than medium. Source.
3. Anet can’t make any change without angering everyone that already spent the money.

My suggestion to fix this would be to:

1. Decrease the mat requirements for damask significantly.
2. Increase the mat requirements for elonian leather squares and deldrimor steel ingot’s slightly.
3. Give everyone that already invested in light ascended armor something. I know handing out gems or gold would make your economy guy have a minor seizure but even a title like “Worlds Biggest Sucker” or something would go a long way. I mean seriously how did this get past QA without at least someone pointing out how stupid it was? Why has this not even been addressed in over a year?

None of your suggestions would balance out the inequality.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: Lemuria.3195

Lemuria.3195

Hmm, I’m not seeing as big a difference as you are. While you’re correct that Damask is needed a lot more in tailoring, the others make up for it by requiring other items like more Elonian leather or Deldrimor ingots.

Elonian Leather and Deldrimor Steel both require similar ingredients in their creation. That is to say, three lesser ingredients and one ascended. And those ascended ingredients are all gated with a one-per-day craft limit.

Anet doesn’t control player pricing, so the difference in cost is down to we the players, not down to the actual crafting mechanics.

Posted by: Aer.3970

Aer.3970

Anet doesn’t control player pricing, so the difference in cost is down to we the players, not down to the actual crafting mechanics.

Jesus, no… Come on. The difference in cost is down to supply and demand. Anet controls the supply, ie. the drop rate, and the demand, ie. what is required in the crafting recipe.

If they reduced the time gated component to require 50 units of silk instead of 100 – like the other time gated T5 requirements, and if there were silk mining nodes around the game, like mithril and hard wood, then we would see a drop in price. Not suggesting that is what Anet should do, but that is what would happen if they did.

Sugesting that we control the price like some kind of hive mind, is frankly kind of naive.

(edited by Aer.3970)

Posted by: serenke.4806

serenke.4806

You should actually get more light armor to salvage while playing a light armored class. That should balance that out.

Good luck.

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Posted by: Snuggles.9875

Snuggles.9875

I just started playing again 4 months ago and got my Grand Artisan title a couple weeks ago. I did notice the difference in ‘balance’ but didn’t find it very difficult at all or rather nothing to fuss about.

Currently I have an insane abundance of silks mostly due to farming SW. I also help my friends make their sets. I really don’t find it an issue compared to a lot of other games I’ve played where crafting gear is required.

Since I’ve purchased pretty much everything from the SW bandit crest vendor. I used my extra bandit crests to buy stolen bags of loot (which gives a lot of silk and t6 and other ‘junk’) Still I end up with a lot of moola.

Currently if you notice silk, globs, crystalline dust have dropped fairly dramatically since the beta portal event

Posted by: serenke.4806

serenke.4806

You should actually get more light armor to salvage while playing a light armored class. That should balance that out.

Good luck.

Oh they’ve tweaked this before, you get more usable items for your class. Was a lot of complaining when they announced it, but it seems to have been a mostly small change overall.

Ah yes, i meant that you ARE getting more cloth when playing a scholar profession.

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

Or they could just up the amount of cloth related mats that drop and/or increase the yield of silk from salvaging cloth stuff. They’ve already made strides on the first one.

The second one together with the first might do it. But I’m not an economics guy. That might be bad for reasons.

/shrug

I get by. But I understand the sentiment. It does seem off.

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

Jesus, no… Come on. The difference in cost is down to supply and demand. Anet controls the supply, ie. the drop rate, and the demand, ie. what is required in the crafting recipe.

If they reduced the time gated component to require 50 units of silk instead of 100 – like the other time gated T5 requirements, and if there were silk mining nodes around the game, like mithril and hard wood, then we would see a drop in price. Not suggesting that is what Anet should do, but that is what would happen if they did.

Sugesting that we control the price like some kind of hive mind, is frankly kind of naive.

This suggestion would also do very little to balance out the inequality in pricing, it would only reduce the price of damask but wouldnt guarantee that all weight sets costz equal.
The main thing it would change is the price overall for ALL asc armor sets, which would be unintended.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: Zaklex.6308

Zaklex.6308

Suggesting that we control the price like some kind of hive mind, is frankly kind of naive.

A.net already basically added in a Silk node to the game, not exactly a node you walk up to and mine from, but SW is just like, except you have to do events and kill mobs. I’ve got Silk coming out of my ears from SW, and I’m using a Medium armor class, not only do I have 1000 Silk Scraps and 1000 Silk Bolts in my inventory, I’m also using my Leatherworker to hold even more Bolts, like over an additional 2000, and I make more weekly just from what I salvage in SW. It is now completely player controlled as there is a source for Silk. My drops give me, conservatively, roughly 50% light armors to salvage from, that’s 6 out of every 10 armors is light, playing on a Medium armor class, which if you wanted to extrapolate with the changes to drops being more for your class means I could conceivably get up 70% if I was using a Light armor class in SW.

(edited by Zaklex.6308)

Posted by: Snow White.1842

Snow White.1842

Not only does it COST more to make LIGHT armor over the other two armor types. It also takes 9 MORE days to make it, due to the time gating of the creation of damask. Unless you pay A LOT more to buy damask off the TP, you’re getting screwed twice at the same time.

I’ve made two sets of light armor. I would not be upset at all if the requirements FINALLY changed. The time gating alone annoys me, but knowing I also require a TON more mats in order to make it…well that plainly sucks.

Posted by: Snuggles.9875

Snuggles.9875

yep. Although the alternative solution may be to raise the other 2 armor crafts to match light armor. It’s a matter of perspective really. Again I still don’t find it really that bad.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

One easy change they can make is to set up new stat combinations to use leather (instead of cloth) for exotic and ascended insignia. Doesn’t change the status quo, increases demand for leather, and decreases demand for cloth.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

Good luck.

Oh they’ve tweaked this before, you get more usable items for your class. Was a lot of complaining when they announced it, but it seems to have been a mostly small change overall.

Ah yes, i meant that you ARE getting more cloth when playing a scholar profession.

This! I do all PvE on my engi, and I weep when I see that most armor I loot is leathers. I get relatively few light armor drops to salvage into silk. So when I crafted my ascended armor and needed 24% less damask (which still leaves A LOT OF DAMASK), I felt it was only fair.

Posted by: Lemuria.3195

Lemuria.3195

The point I was making is that the problem doesn’t lie with the recipe. It lies with the acquisition of the materials. I’m really not sure why you’re using silk as an example though. Of the materials required, silk is the one most in abundance because of the ease at which you can obtain level 80 gear to salvage.

A quick jaunt around the silverwastes will earn you enough silk to make bedsheets for every citizen in Tyria. Just carry some kits with you and salvage on the go.

Now, Linen… that is a pain in the backside. With gear drops of the same level regardless of zone, unless you’re a level 40-60 character, it’s unlikely you’ll get a lot of Linen. You need to kill specific enemies in specific zones for loot bags and hope your bags contain linen scraps.

So, what we really need is a way to still obtain lower level materials or gear even on a higher level character. That’s the real problem right there, not the recipes.

Posted by: mulzi.8273

mulzi.8273

Well, i see what you are saying, but the first thing that comes to my mind is, you are crazy to mention it. If you have ever played any Anet games before, they are more likely to ‘fix’ this imbalance by raising the other crafting requirements up to the light armor requirements, than they would be to drop the requirements for light.

This is anet we are talking about here. Throughout GW and GW2, i can count on one hand the the times Anet made a change that benefited the player monetarily (eg. allow the player to make more money, save mats, etc).. Usually its quite the opposite…