Invisible Shoes! What the?!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: SntMighty.9406

SntMighty.9406

as far as i know , they drop from the Treasure Mushrooms , as an extremely rare drop , not the boots but a something called “Invisible Boot Box” which logicaly allows you to choose one skin for the prefered armor type (light,medium,heavy)

Posted by: Maria Murtor.7253

Maria Murtor.7253

This is generally known and the reason, people here are upset.

Guild Wars 2 – Musicvideo: Claws and Steel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghA_efMiWkg

Posted by: Karmapolice.4193

Karmapolice.4193

It really annoys me that this wasn’t just a toggle like gloves and shoulders. And the completely absurd rarity of the drops makes them not even worth bothering trying to farm them. They’ll never drop for me, much less three times to get them for all armor weights.
Just another thing in the game that should be nice and fun, but only makes me not like Anet.

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

What I just really don’t understand is why it should be SUPER-RARE for a character to be allowed to look barefoot when it is so easy for a character to appear to not have a helmet, shoulders, or gloves. Are feet somehow special so that it shouldn’t be just as easy for a character to appear to not be wearing footgear?

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: Vacheron.9870

Vacheron.9870

As part of the community who paid 3k gold for the boots, it is well worth the gold. It looks unique, and should stay as it is. Why are you guys so mad about it? Just get the gold to buy it or farm it, if you really want it that is. Otherwise, just use any other boots and be on your way. Complaining about this is like complaining: kitten a Ferrari is so expensive, it’s just a car, why can’t it be as expensive as a Mustang? Here’s your answer my friend, it’s unique. If you want a Ferrari, work hard and get one, instead of going to a Ferrari dealership and complain in the lobby: “why is it so expensive bro.”

Posted by: Ubi.4136

Ubi.4136

Complaining about this is like complaining: kitten a Ferrari is so expensive, it’s just a car, why can’t it be as expensive as a Mustang?

No, it isn’t anything like that. It is the equivalent of buying a Land Rover and then wondering why only 3 of the 4 windows go down. Then the dealership says they can add the ability to make the 4th window go down for a few thousand dollars more.

You spend time and money getting your character to look the way you want. You can choose (by checking/unchecking a box) to make 3 pieces of armor not show helping complete the look you want without sacrificing stats. But, the 4th piece of armor that could be hidden has a ridiculous RNG/expense added to it.

Lost in the Maguuma [TC]
Te Nosce [TC]

Posted by: Athena.3579

Athena.3579

Just bought the equivalent of these items in World of Warcraft during their pre-expansion event from a vendor. Paid 60 gold total (basically nothing) for Cloth, Leather, Mail and Plate invisible shoes (all the armor classes). Definitely beats the $200/pair that we’re looking at here. Thanks Blizzard!

We knew within a month or so of Heart of Thorns’ launch that these were going to be almost impossible to obtain naturally in game. We tried asking if this was intentional, etc and never got a response. Those here that have paid the totally ludicrous prices will feel shafted if anything is changed now.

Posted by: Vacheron.9870

Vacheron.9870

No, it isn’t anything like that. It is the equivalent of buying a Land Rover and then wondering why only 3 of the 4 windows go down. Then the dealership says they can add the ability to make the 4th window go down for a few thousand dollars more.

If you want to go down that route, one could say that in an alternate universe, all cars come with 3 windows. You (I’m assuming you are against having the invisible shoes, apologies if I’m wrong), on the other hand, who owns a bicycle, points out that it’s unfair since cars and bikes are all methods of transportation, why should it be that cars are 100x more expensive? The answer to that question: It is designed that way. It’s not like somewhere out there there’s someone who has an “all toggle-able character.”

Edit: To address my example from earlier, I’m simply implying that people who are complaining here are mostly players who WANT it, but CAN’T buy it. You can go out of your way to say im wrong, but deep down, you know the answer to it as well.

(edited by Vacheron.9870)

Posted by: femalehumanmeta.8351

femalehumanmeta.8351

The idea of invisible shoes isn’t a bad one, even though I’d rather they be a simple toggle, but gating them behind a ludicrous drop rate was a bad decision.

They should have been something like nightfury or winter’s presence.

Posted by: Ninski.5680

Ninski.5680

I feel like the best system would be to keep the drop rates as they are now, but add a repeatable achievement in that will 100% give you a box after X amount of Treasure mushrooms, so even if you spend a year killing mushrooms at least you’re making progress towards your guaranteed boot box. Maybe 500-1000 mushroom kills?

Maria Murtor.7253

You can put lipstick on the pig. It is, what it is: Grind and the nastiest sort of RNG.
If I sell all my stuff, maybe I could buy me a a pair for each weight class, but would go away empty-handed. 3 years of playing – all gone in a few seconds; for something, what comes not even close to Legendary Equipment or ultra handsame Weapon skins.

All I’m asking for (and I guess, many other people too) is a FAIR chance to obtain this skin

(edited by Maria Murtor.7253)

Posted by: Rogue Sol.1457

Rogue Sol.1457

As part of the community who paid 3k gold for the boots, it is well worth the gold. It looks unique, and should stay as it is. Why are you guys so mad about it? Just get the gold to buy it or farm it, if you really want it that is. Otherwise, just use any other boots and be on your way. Complaining about this is like complaining: kitten a Ferrari is so expensive, it’s just a car, why can’t it be as expensive as a Mustang? Here’s your answer my friend, it’s unique. If you want a Ferrari, work hard and get one, instead of going to a Ferrari dealership and complain in the lobby: “why is it so expensive bro.”

This isn’t some timed exclusive skin that only a limited number of people can get. This is a persistent item that’ll be around for the life of the game (unless something changes). Honestly if you want to go unshod you just remove your boots and that’s it. I’ve done that in central tyria many times. However if you want to do that and keep your stats it’ll now cost 4k gold. This ISN’T fused weapon skins, that were only around for about two months at the beginning of living story. THOSE I say would be worth the considerable amount of gold you put into the ability to hide your shoes, which other games let you do without grinding or charging you. Honestly you’ve been ripped off.

It’s as Maria said, we’re asking for a FAIR chance to get the skin.

Posted by: Seabreeze.8437

Seabreeze.8437

As part of the community who paid 3k gold for the boots, it is well worth the gold. It looks unique, and should stay as it is. Why are you guys so mad about it?

Of course you think it should stay as is. You dropped 3k gold on it.

If you really don’t understand why players are upset about this, then you either haven’t read anything in this thread or simply don’t care, in which case why are you even asking?

Djinn.9245

If you want to go down that route, one could say that in an alternate universe, all cars come with 3 windows. You (I’m assuming you are against having the invisible shoes, apologies if I’m wrong), on the other hand, who owns a bicycle, points out that it’s unfair since cars and bikes are all methods of transportation, why should it be that cars are 100x more expensive? The answer to that question: It is designed that way. It’s not like somewhere out there there’s someone who has an “all toggle-able character.”

Edit: To address my example from earlier, I’m simply implying that people who are complaining here are mostly players who WANT it, but CAN’T buy it. You can go out of your way to say im wrong, but deep down, you know the answer to it as well.

The issue is that the game was created with a mechanic to “not show” pieces of gear. Why did Anet make “not showing” foot gear so difficult? Is there something special about showing your feet that it should be so rare instead of just a toggle like the other gear? In a game that is so heavily weighted toward Fashion, it seems strange to limit players’ ability to design their characters look for no good reason that I can see.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: sirsquishy.2619

sirsquishy.2619

The fact they made it an ultra rare drops just shows that Anet was testing something here with the community. They knew that the community wanted to hide their shoes for the longest time, they knew that if they limited the drops that the price would sky rocket. That would yield more Gem sales for those that really really really wanted the shoes but were not available to put time in for the farm of those mushrooms.

well played Anet, but I knew what you were doing the day you made that item available. just like with the Holiday Shoulder effect items. its all fabricated to drive gem sells, one way or the other, and you screw your player base in the process.

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

You (I’m assuming you are against having the invisible shoes, apologies if I’m wrong), on the other hand, who owns a bicycle, points out that it’s unfair since cars and bikes are all methods of transportation, why should it be that cars are 100x more expensive? The answer to that question: It is designed that way. It’s not like somewhere out there there’s someone who has an “all toggle-able character.”

Lolwut?

Cars cost significantly more than any bicycle because they cost more to design, test, build, and advertise.

There is no omniscient being that decried that all cars should cost x% more than bicycles.

There was a person/s who sat down and decided that invisible boots should be rarer, thus significantly more expensive, than any other boot or armor skin for that matter.

This is not the result of any natural force, this was a conscious choice on the developers part to make 20 minutes of work obscenely hard to get for no other reason than to encourage gem2gold sales.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Posted by: uknortherner.2670

uknortherner.2670

It’s just a ridiculous situation all-round really. The emperor’s new clothes (shoes?) with a 3500g price tag.

I stole a special snowflake’s future by exercising my democratic right to vote.

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

I can’t wait to see how bad Invisible Pants are going to be to obtain.

Posted by: anninke.7469

anninke.7469

I can’t wait to see how bad Invisible Pants are going to be to obtain.

Depends on what they’ll do with underpants.

Maria Murtor.7253

People are more interested in toogle of Chest armor, especially for Norn (tattoo) and Charr (fur).

Posted by: uknortherner.2670

uknortherner.2670

People are more interested in toogle of Chest armor, especially for Norn (tattoo) and Charr (fur).

Don’t worry. Anet will make that option a needlessly convoluted and grindy mess as well…

I stole a special snowflake’s future by exercising my democratic right to vote.

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

I’m sure most people know this but for those that don’t I have recently discovered that Tribal shoes will give Light armor Charrs barefoot…

Attachments:

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

Posted by: Lyp Sao.1375

Lyp Sao.1375

yup, all other races also.

Don’t fight the other ants
Fight the queens

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

The orchid boots do the same thing for light armoured sylvari. They’re spiral vines/branches around the lower legs rather than actual shoes.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Maria Murtor.7253

I was very relieved, that I had unlocked this skin with PvP the early days. After all: It took ArenaNet (nearly?) 2 years to give players a chance, to obtain this skin after they removed it from PvP. I can not deny: It is a good skin. I also really like the idea of having anklets or straps for footwear. The problem is: Except of this skin (and a few others for light armor classes) and some Armor Sets the choice is very limited, especially for medium and heavy armor classes.

Maria Murtor.7253

I have a theory: Since some time, I am suspicious of the description of the Treasure Mushroom. Maybe I am totaly wrong, maybe it IS cheap RNG – I dont know. Anyway: I gonna turn of the auto loot and observe the behavior of the Mushroom, when there are loot bags/chests around. Yes, that is my theory … I also tried to throw away some boots from my Inventory in the hope, something happens. I am desperate, so I will give it a try. I am still thinking, there must be a trick or something …

Attachments:

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Out of a strange sense of irony, I actually received an invisible shoes drop a few weeks ago. But… I’m not sure when exactly I got it. The shoe box was simply in my inventory at one point.

I noticed it in my inventory immediately after killing the invisible vinetooth that wanders around Auric Basin. So, there’s a chance that it also drops from those invisible vinetooth events as well.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

Maria Murtor.7253

I noticed, that there are some Events with invisible opponents. Do you have the Advanced Logistics Mastery?

Posted by: kyeloon.5826

kyeloon.5826

Love that idea Maria that there might be still a hidden mechanic. I doubt it but it would feel… better than just RNG.

And guys… please do not listen to guys like Vacheron.9870 – he probably has one or two of invisible shoes on TP and is afraid prices will drop.

Posted by: Beaut.1689

Beaut.1689

Saw a topic about this on reddit, but decided to post on here.

I tried something very similar to what Maria suggested a long time ago, where I disabled my autoloot and left all the drops on the ground while fighting the treasure shroom.

I wasn’t doing this to see if the invisible boots would drop or anything like that, as this happened before I even knew about invisible foot skins. I was just really curious for some reason to see if the shroom actually ate my loot as its description suggests. lol

I killed any mob that spawned during the event and also decided to open any nearby crystal caches without taking the contents. There were actually two wooden chests that dropped from jungle spiders (this was in td), at which point I tried to bait the treasure shroom near those chests to see if the chest loot would be stolen by it. I would stop attacking the shroom (which makes it stop running about) once it was pretty much sitting on top of the wooden chest and waited for it to do something… as you probably guessed by now, nothing happened. haha I also believe I just got a regular yellow from the rewards.

I think the boots are just an extremely extremely rare drop, and there probably isn’t any trick or ‘gimmick’ to obtaining them.

Attachments:

Maria Murtor.7253

That ‘s what I thought. Kinda dumb, I guess … Why make it harder, when the answer is so simple: It is RNG. That’s it – sadly.

Posted by: Warlord.9074

Warlord.9074

Increase Drop Rate of Invisible Stompers and other invisible shoes. Nearly impossible for most players to obtain.

“Just press 2 to win all the dps was us cuz we’re a
warrior and we’re the best class” Eugene

Posted by: Haleydawn.3764

Haleydawn.3764

The point of The Invisible Boot box was to be a rare drop not everyone should get.

Kitten.

Posted by: Zelanard.5806

Zelanard.5806

The point of The Invisible Boot box was to be a rare drop not everyone should get.

There’s a slight difference between “rare” and “legendary” though… and the invisible stuff, is legendary hard to get xD

When commenting on a suggestion:
Leave it to A-net to decide whether the suggestion is possible or not.

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

Hey guys you never know they may be coming easy or free soon lol…

I have had a theory about those “ghosts” or anomalies that we have been seeing recently. Perhaps it’s anets answer to this issue and all the replies on the:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Invisible-Shoes-What-the/page/7#post6303417

thread? Highly unlikely but you never know! After all those guys vanish after a few seconds, maybe they need to tie up their shoelaces to go invisible again. Soooo perhaps we will be able to kill them and will get the drop 100% or maybe they will just give them to us.

Highly unlikely I know, but one can hope right!? :P

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Djinn.9245

Yes, it should be very rare and difficult for a person to look like they are barefoot. Cause that is such a rare and awesome look…

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

Increase Drop Rate of Invisible Stompers and other invisible shoes. Nearly impossible for most players to obtain.

Can you please change the title to reflect your post?

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

Can you please change the title to reflect your post?

Yep, please fix that.!!!

Posted by: Warlord.9074

Warlord.9074

Fixed, and ya

I understand the purpose of something being rare,

I agree that barefoot isn’t a rare look

Theres a difference between legendary status rare and rare. Right now the Invis stompers are more legendary than legendary. Thats past the point of even being rare.

“Just press 2 to win all the dps was us cuz we’re a
warrior and we’re the best class” Eugene

Posted by: Thelgar.7214

Thelgar.7214

Plenty of things have had their rarity changed, Xanthium of Dreams and other ‘of Dreams’ weapons, First Halloween stuff, various Black Lion skins, etc.

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

[Citation needed]

Maria Murtor.7253

I still have hope – with every update, that is released …

Posted by: Karmapolice.4193

Karmapolice.4193

There’s just too many factors contributing to its rarity. It only drops from a certain mob, that mob is only visible if you’ve trained up to a certain mastery level, that mob only appears in a select few locations, you only have 1 chance per location to potentially loot the skin, and then of course the drop rate is ridiculously low. It just makes it pointless to even bother trying.

How about having treasure mushrooms drop an invisible scrap of cloth when killed. Then, you can turn in maybe 500 of those and trade for an account bound invisible skin. I think after killing 500 and one still hasn’t dropped, that’s enough grinding for a consolation prize. Make it account bound so you can’t just sell the skin. If you want to sell the skin, you still have to hope for a drop.

Or just stick them in the gem store, I’ll buy all three. (Unless the price is just goofy.)
Or, make it a toggle, like it should have been in the first place.

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

Well guys,

I only found out about the Treasure Mushroom and this special drop about a week or so ago when I first found this thread. Up until that point I thought he was only there for that achievement.

So since then I have been killing him on and off now and then as I have been doing map completes on my alts in AB. I have not been “hardcore farming” him as I guess a hardcore farmer would but I have been killing him perhaps for a few hours here and there at a time.

No drop yet myself but my friend DID get the drop yesterday and she has been doing the same amount of killing him as I have. Okay maybe she has a little bit more, maybe an extra hour or 2 than myself on and off here and there. But she too only found out about him and his drop after I told her from learning of it.

So I guess this posting is to just say the drop is real, it can happen and it’s from a pure drop and not the daily bonus reward. So I guess if you still want that skin, don’t give up, keep trying there is a chance. Maybe just kill him once a day per map at least for that chance still and the bonus. Lastly my friend had about 400 Magic Find if that helps any.

So good luck and happy farming guys!

Edit:

Oh and 1 last piece of info – she got the drop off him in DS after the Meta was completed. So perhaps that may have an increased drop chance, maybe not but it is worth mentioning I think.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

(edited by Paulytnz.7619)

Maria Murtor.7253

I am wondering, if the Boot chests only drop in Dragon’s Stand. That would explain the very low stock of Invisibile Boots in the game. The people in this thread who were lucky finding a chest also mentioned the drop at Dragon’s Stand (if i am not wrong). I dont even try to farm the Mushroom at Bloodstone Fen, I don’t have trust in it.

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

There’s just too many factors contributing to its rarity. It only drops from a certain mob, that mob is only visible if you’ve trained up to a certain mastery level, that mob only appears in a select few locations, you only have 1 chance per location to potentially loot the skin, and then of course the drop rate is ridiculously low. It just makes it pointless to even bother trying.

How about having treasure mushrooms drop an invisible scrap of cloth when killed. Then, you can turn in maybe 500 of those and trade for an account bound invisible skin. I think after killing 500 and one still hasn’t dropped, that’s enough grinding for a consolation prize. Make it account bound so you can’t just sell the skin. If you want to sell the skin, you still have to hope for a drop.

Or just stick them in the gem store, I’ll buy all three. (Unless the price is just goofy.)

Your complaint is that a rare item is rare.

That’s the point.

Rare items are rare. That’s why rare items in GW2 are cosmetic rather than stat enhancements, so that you don’t NEED rare items, but you can chase them down if you WANT them. It’s the same way they worked in the first game for a good reason. It works. It’s fair. It allows the game to have rare drops without also creating a situation where only the richest or luckiest players have access to the best gear.

Demanding items be more accessible just because you WANT them leads to a homogenized loot table where the very act of looting is broing, and all loot could be easily replaced with nothing but currency.

That is not a game I want to play.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Maria Murtor.7253

That’s the point.

Rare items are rare. That’s why rare items in GW2 are cosmetic rather than stat enhancements, so that you don’t NEED rare items, but you can chase them down if you WANT them. It’s the same way they worked in the first game for a good reason. It works. It’s fair. It allows the game to have rare drops without also creating a situation where only the richest or luckiest players have access to the best gear.

Demanding items be more accessible just because you WANT them leads to a homogenized loot table where the very act of looting is broing, and all loot could be easily replaced with nothing but currency.

In that case the statement is misleading. The item is not rare, because it is locked behind a super difficult content. It is rare because it has a very low drop rate. You can’t work toward to that aim. All you can do is hope for Lady Luck – and that’s BS.
I guess, we agree in the point, that hard work has to pay off. But where is the point, that you can spend hours for nothing, while others simply got a lucky hand? This is not fair, quite the reverse.

I agree absolutely, that the game needs rare items. But RNG is not the right way for it. That’s why ArenaNet introduced the Scavenger Hunt, to let players work specific for their Precursor. (Unfortunately) they decided to consider the economy, so you still have to spend a lot of money and crafting materials for it. But hey: It is a start and some people really seem to enjoy the hunt.

Djinn.9245

That’s the point.

In that case the statement is misleading. The item is not rare, because it is locked behind a super difficult content. It is rare because it has a very low drop rate. You can’t work toward to that aim. All you can do is hope for Lady Luck – and that’s BS.
I guess, we agree in the point, that hard work has to pay off. But where is the point, that you can spend hours for nothing, while others simply got a lucky hand? This is not fair, quite the reverse.

I agree absolutely, that the game needs rare items. But RNG is not the right way for it. That’s why ArenaNet introduced the Scavenger Hunt, to let players work specific for their Precursor. (Unfortunately) they decided to consider the economy, so you still have to spend a lot of money and crafting materials for it. But hey: It is a start and some people really seem to enjoy the hunt.

I completely agree that pure RNG is crap. It doesn’t reward work when a brand-new player can get the item on their first try while a 4-year vet can try hundreds of times and not get the reward.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

After reading through 6 pages of text, I fail to see why this had to be turned into a prestige item so rare and expensive as to be pretty much unobtainable.

Going by the logic of the game’s UI itself, this should be a checkbox, like other armour slots have, pure and simple.

Imagine having to pay 2300g for the ability to hide your guardian’s gloves , for example, then having to pay the same for your mesmer’s shoulder piece, only to find that it’s so rare, there isn’t even a single piece for sale.

This should be about having the ability to hide your foot slot armour piece, not turn it into an actual piece, with all the impracticalities that this brings.

…and then adding a drop rate this low.

It actually feels mean spirited in a way.

Not cool Anet, not cool.

Its funny you mention paying to hide an article of clothing. SWTOR does this….for real cash…and its disgusting

You could buy those from the auction with in-game money and they were pretty cheap. I was able to buy them when I was still a lowbie newb. Invisible chest piece and shoes ftw.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

I assume you mean other games/virtual worlds do not have the ability since GW2 does not have everything toggleable anyway?

Second Life. You can hide your entire character from the top of your head to the tips of your toes.