January monthly achievement, are you serious?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

monthly…achievements…are…optional

If you need them for a legendary or some other goal…just do it.

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

Posted by: Lutharr.1035

Lutharr.1035

I took my main and an alt to a JP start point in LA. Took turns in relogging while tidying my room. 30 mins later. JP part of the monthly all done.

W3 aint a part of the game i frequent but the monthly tempts me into going. I dont need the coins or karma so Im not “forced” but the carrots there so its upto me if I wanna take a bite of it.

No one forces you to do the monthly. So if there is something you really dont like about it. Dont do it. Your not forces to do it since the rewards can be gained elsewhere.

Go back to WoW. Most overused brainless arguement 2012-2013

Posted by: Minion of Vey.4398

Minion of Vey.4398

I don’t like this one either.

I don’t even mind jumping puzzles but just waypointing and running to places 30 times is tedious. We’re not even talking about actually doing puzzles, just running to 30 places pointlessly.

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

I’d like to take part in the monthly, see the other things involved in it (dungeons, fractals, and so one).

But I hate PVP.
It’s hard to explain but I’ll try, I am interested in those things, but if I do them knowing they count towards the monthly but the monthly has a req I know I won’t be able to complete (the WVW kills), then doing those other things feels like wasted effort. I guess you could say I’m OCD about efficiency and wasted effort; I hate wasted effort even more than I hate PVP, it bugs me in a way few things do and I find myself actively avoiding things on the monthly due to the WvW kill requirement.

Yeah, that sounds a bit crazy I know :P

If it was anything but WvW kills I’d be fine, and the monthly would be fine (dungeons, JPs, Fractals, salvage, all fine! Heck, you could even put Karka slayer back on there and as long as it didn’t have WvW kills I’d do it!) and I’d get involved more with the other stuff, dungeoning, fractaling, and so on.

Please understand we aren’t asking for them to do away with WvW or anything, or even to never have it on the monthly again, just to have an occasional monthly without the WvW req. I get that they’re proud of WvW and that they want to people to get involved, and I know it’s important (it gives me my 12% gathering bonus :P), but it’s just not my cup of tea.

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

Posted by: CrashTestAuto.9108

CrashTestAuto.9108

My only issue with the monthlies is that they’ve included the fractals when they KNOW that they need fixing. I’d love to run fractals, but my connection isn’t reliable enough to guarantee a full run through. As soon as the patch comes out to let us reconnect, then cool, but until then I’m not going near them again.

I also don’t really get the motivation. People have tried fractals, they’ve divided the player base a bit, and the people who want to do them will do them anyway. There are already easily enough rewards for doing fractals that they don’t need more incentive.

So, yeah, I’m pretty happy with the monthlies, but I think this particular requirement is a bit of a misstep. To be honest I don’t really see why they aren’t putting up four new achievements every month for added variety.

Posted by: Gamgee.8612

Gamgee.8612

The definition of achivement doesn’t rhyme with easy or fun at all times. Probably not in the most cases. You achive an achivement, you don’t “do” it. As long as it’s an achivement, I’m on board. If you would have less than this on 30 days it wouldnt be hard enough.

N I M S – Warrior of Judge Legends[JDGE]

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

I am the same way so you are not completely mad (maybe).

I’d like to take part in the monthly, see the other things involved in it (dungeons, fractals, and so one).

But I hate PVP.
It’s hard to explain but I’ll try, I am interested in those things, but if I do them knowing they count towards the monthly but the monthly has a req I know I won’t be able to complete (the WVW kills), then doing those other things feels like wasted effort. I guess you could say I’m OCD about efficiency and wasted effort; I hate wasted effort even more than I hate PVP, it bugs me in a way few things do and I find myself actively avoiding things on the monthly due to the WvW kill requirement.

Yeah, that sounds a bit crazy I know :P

If it was anything but WvW kills I’d be fine, and the monthly would be fine (dungeons, JPs, Fractals, salvage, all fine! Heck, you could even put Karka slayer back on there and as long as it didn’t have WvW kills I’d do it!) and I’d get involved more with the other stuff, dungeoning, fractaling, and so on.

Please understand we aren’t asking for them to do away with WvW or anything, or even to never have it on the monthly again, just to have an occasional monthly without the WvW req. I get that they’re proud of WvW and that they want to people to get involved, and I know it’s important (it gives me my 12% gathering bonus :P), but it’s just not my cup of tea.

Posted by: Disig.7169

Disig.7169

Guys, the monthly achievement is just a challenge like anything else in the game. You do it for the reward at the end, mystic coins and karma. There are other ways to get both, like doing the daily which is far easier. You don’t even have to DO the jumping puzzles, just find them. What is the big deal here? No one is punishing you or preventing you from getting anything you couldn’t already get by other means.

Posted by: Knox.3748

Knox.3748

This is not arguable – the achievement is just simply stupid, I could think of 100 better ones in a minute. I’ve done all of the JP’s and revisiting them is by far the most pointless thing I could think of tbh. Events = profit (gold, karma), wvw kills (badges and fun), fractal (profit and fun anyway imo) etc…
Now JP’s = Massive 100% braindead waste of time, I’ve done them all and they are NOT fun the 2nd time you ‘discover them’ (lol what the kitten??)…
Truely shows how incompetent some people are, honestly…if I was trying my hardest to think of a really bad monthly achievement – I wouldn’t even come up with that, that takes some skills to make up smth that bad.

I could not agree more. What a pointless achievement. I’ve done all the JPs but revisiting them is nothing close to fun. Do I have to teleport to all the 30 JPs and discover them while losing my precious silvers to tp costs or do I have to run all the way and spend one day just running? None of them are fun. This, my friends, is a proof that ANet is loosing their grip of understanding what is fun and what is not anymore.

What I am afraid of is that ANet may not be reading posts here and realise what we are complaining about.

I hope I am wrong. I seriously do…

Not we, you are.

(edited by Knox.3748)

Posted by: Mungrul.9358

Mungrul.9358

Ha, looks like ArenaNet nicked one of my ideas:

You know, reading this, I realised they should do monthly achievements the same way they do the major event ones (like Halloween, Southsun Cove & Wintersday).
Some people don’t want to do jumping puzzles, some don’t like fractals and others can’t stand WvWvW. So why not make more achievement tracks for monthlies, yet require less than all? That way people could choose which ones they want to do.

For example, there could be 6 achievement tracks:
50 kills in Wuvwuv.
15 Fractals.
30 Jumpin Puzzles.
100 Events.
100 People ressed.
5 maps completed.

Yet only 4 of those would need to be done to get the achievement.

Thoughts?

And from the blog:

Later, we’ll also be adding a system that lets you complete a subgroup of achievements to fulfill your daily. For example, if there are 6 daily achievements available, you’ll only need to do 4 of the 6. So you can choose the achievements that you’re most interested in.

Smug mode engaged
:D

Please note that due to restrictions placed on my account, I am only allowed 1 post per hour.
Therefore I may take some time replying to you.

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

So, what does it mean “complete a jumping puzzle” ? What constitutes an actual JP that the achievement system recognizes? I know of the one in WvW but is that it?

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Posted by: Protoavis.9107

Protoavis.9107

wow 100 events, that is actually quite a lot. It’s the equivalent to 20 dailies. For those who don’t play every day, it could be difficult.

re: a reason to go back to maps in pve for jumping puzzles.
It’s not going to revitalize pve. They aren’t getting involved in the areas, they’re just running to a spot from a waypoint and leaving. It won’t help any of the new christmas players. What we need is a Map Explore monthly, like “Explore Gendarran Fields” for January, which gets lots of players in that map, and getting involved. Each month a new map to re-explore.

Perhaps, but an events one would be the easiest/quickest to do, just join zerg in WvW since you’re generally in an event every other minute that and you get your wvw kills done at the same time.

Let us buy vendor mats (eg spools of thread) in 250 stacks, end the excessive clicking.

Posted by: Protoavis.9107

Protoavis.9107

So, what does it mean “complete a jumping puzzle” ? What constitutes an actual JP that the achievement system recognizes? I know of the one in WvW but is that it?

stand at the entrance…that’s all you don’t have to even do the jump puzzle, just be at the entrance of it

Let us buy vendor mats (eg spools of thread) in 250 stacks, end the excessive clicking.

Posted by: Blacklight.2871

Blacklight.2871

Ha, looks like ArenaNet nicked one of my ideas:

You know, reading this, I realised they should do monthly achievements the same way they do the major event ones (like Halloween, Southsun Cove & Wintersday).
Some people don’t want to do jumping puzzles, some don’t like fractals and others can’t stand WvWvW. So why not make more achievement tracks for monthlies, yet require less than all? That way people could choose which ones they want to do.

For example, there could be 6 achievement tracks:
50 kills in Wuvwuv.
15 Fractals.
30 Jumpin Puzzles.
100 Events.
100 People ressed.
5 maps completed.

Yet only 4 of those would need to be done to get the achievement.

Thoughts?

And from the blog:

Later, we’ll also be adding a system that lets you complete a subgroup of achievements to fulfill your daily. For example, if there are 6 daily achievements available, you’ll only need to do 4 of the 6. So you can choose the achievements that you’re most interested in.

Smug mode engaged
:D

I put that up as a suggestion earlier this afternoon. Didn’t realize you had already beaten everyone, including the devs, to the punch. As someone who hasn’t been able to complete a monthly since September because of the WvW component (I bashed my head against that wall that first month, but never again), I wholeheartedly agree.

Give me just about any task that isn’t PvP-related, and I’ll do it. The time and effort I put into the game is every bit as valid and worthy of being rewarded as those for whom PKing is something to be enjoyed. There should be enough variety in the tasks that no one should be made to feel like they are undergoing rectal surgery with a blowtorch and garden sheers, in order to complete it.

Posted by: Booler.6598

Booler.6598

The funniest thing about this thread is the op is wrong go back and read the achieve properly it states “discover” not “complete” I can confirm this via the fact on the occansion where my achieve completes a tier I have jumped no more than the first ledge/stone/rock in the jp and it has counted it. Therefore you don’t have to complete them mearly find them.

Always in all ways

Posted by: Jzl.8715

Jzl.8715

why so much hate for the Jps they are fun and easy

Because the core argument in favor of jumping puzzles to date was that they were entirely optional.

Now they’re required as part of the monthly achievements for January.

It’s easy to argue that those achievements are optional, of course, but for more casual players, those achievements are one of the few ways they can keep up with the more regular players in terms of obtaining karma and tokens for forging.

Really, I’m much more bothered by the fact that Fractals is still required. It made sense being there in November, but this is January now. And Fractals was a huge part of the update that made many people quit this game. The devs should know by now that even the people who like Fractals aren’t keen on being forced to keep running it for monthly achievement points, and those who don’t like it probably don’t like being reminded about it every month.

Seriously. Don’t force players to run Fractals if they don’t want to.

Wait wait…help me out with the logic here for a second? So… the casual need to do something so they can keep up with the regular… so are they regular or casual? This really isn’t something about optional or none optional… It’s just a you want something but you don’t want to do it and slapping an ‘should be optional’ label on it.

And huge part of the population that ‘quit’ this game, source?

The 7 fractals in monthly is perhaps the easiest thing to accomplish.

All that said, 30 is definitely a bit too much. I would say 10 or 15 is a good number, people who has done them all could pick a few they liked and revisit, and for those who haven’t, it’s a good number to introduce them to it.

Some concerns are valid here, but the lack of logic and evidence here is just mind boggling. You silly you interweb…

[PLUM] – SOR

Posted by: Boomstin.3460

Boomstin.3460

As long as they stop forcing fractals on me i’ll be happy. I haven’t and wont step into a fractal due to principle so haven’t been able to complete monthlies for a good while now.

All is vain.

Posted by: JPSnow.8296

JPSnow.8296

First off you don’t have to do monthly if you don’t like it. Second people cry no matter what they put in ( I don’t want to do wvw because I pve or I don’t want to do dungeons) besides 30 JP is really easy you don’t even have to leave LA just do the three there everyday for 10 days or you can do the wvw bl ones and work on badges for legendary….

JPSnow (main) – Necro, Sir Mezalot – Mesmer
Lieutenant Stabs – Thief
Night Vision (NV) – Blackgate

Posted by: Dreamwalker.3617

Dreamwalker.3617

As a truly causal player, I really don’t give a kitten

That was so funny, I laughed twice.

Posted by: Oreoz.2573

Oreoz.2573

I don’t have to read all 5 pages of this thread to know that there’s a large number of people out there who don’t know how to use google.

Seriously, I just cranked out the last 15 i needed in an hour late last night.

Google the full list of JPs and go down the line. If you’re like me, you’ll simply use it to find em but not to complete them (cuz that’s where the fun is).

Seriously, why is this thread so long?

INTERNET FOLKS! WE HAS IT!

Posted by: Raf.1078

Raf.1078

You don’t even have to achieve the January achievment for that matter. Thats also purely optional.

PF/ GOAT on Tarnished Coast (Semi-Retired)
Raf Longshanks-80 Norn Guardian / 9 more alts of various lvls / Charter Member Altaholics Anon