Dye Changes Feedback/Questions

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

Price of dyes will drop as the supply increases.

The volume of any given dye is pretty low, so there weren’t that many “cheap” dyes on the market to begin with. As they are going up in price, there will actually be an incentive to craft them now so as the newly crafted dyes hit the market the prices will once again plummet.

As for the people attempting to convert the cheap dyes into unidentified dye on 4/15, there is a finite limit on the number of unidentified dyes they can possibly get, and the price of those will tank on patch day since there will be a HUGE number of unidentified dyes hitting the market.

There won’t be any millionaires as a result of this. Some people may make some money early, but it will be very limited and MOST people who engage in dye speculation are going to lose a lot of cash.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

There’s been no downloaded update yet.

It’s all speculation. The thing is, if everyone relists those dyes right now, the supply will gradually increase and profit margins will gradually diminish.

The smart investors will hold onto these until after the feature patch, and either cash in on the increased demand or wait even longer as supply dwindles further.

Unless I read right over it in the article, cooking will still be an option so supply will get smaller, but specific dyes won’t run out.

Posted by: nekretaal.6485

nekretaal.6485

This is the Chinese system, designed to raise money for the gemstore, except it will be free here, so a system that might be balanced in China is not going to be balanced here:

In China: dyes are rare but need unlocks and wolnt bottom out because the bifrost needs them

Here: dyes are rare and needed for the bifrost, and they will be consumed rapidly because of the account unlock and the free gamble box aspect,

The only balancing factor is that a lot of people will have a lot of dyes account unlocked, but past practice shows is all that will do is make the blue dyes cheap and get tossed into the forge a lot.

#24 leaderboard rank North America.

Posted by: grayskull.2367

grayskull.2367

lmfao why are you under the impression there is a demand of any dye come patch let alone the unidentified ones so let say everyone playing now gets all the own stack of unidentified dyes from having multiples of the same dye.

Why would they them buy your of the tp that just stupid so if they not going to buy them every who making is britfrost will LOL worst resin ever, so whats that like 1000 people ingame when there are 1000 time that amount of unidentified dyes flooding the market and you cant still get dyes from laurels.

what a totally ridiculous answer right there, clutching at straws.

and your forgetting all Anet has to do is release a dye pack and all those stockpile dye you have are worth nothing to anyone if you like it or not no one will by them and you will be left out of pocket crying about it on the forum after patch no doubt.

Posted by: moorindal.2635

moorindal.2635

It isn’t compensation… it is a free bonus dye.
You were already compensated for the dye you purchased when you received the dye you paid for.

Ok, I’ll rephrase. …. Rather than, “receiving one unidentified dye for each duplicate dye already unlocked on your account” a more fair system would be to receive x number of unidentified dyes based on the rarity of the duplicate dye already unlocked on your account. Perhaps maybe even this would work…. receive one unidentified dye of equal rarity for each duplicate dye already unlocked on your account.

Posted by: thehipone.6812

thehipone.6812

This will end in tears.

grayskull.2367

1) Most players have every fine/masterwork dye already on at least one character.
2) Some also have all the rare dyes on one character.

3) April 15th – now all their characters have access to every dye from the base game.

Why do these people need to buy Unidentified dyes ever again, outside of gift of colour?

They don’t, and that is the point the OP is trying to make.

You can horde all these unidentified dyes now, but you’re not going to have anyone to sell them to. The price is going to crash, HARD.

This guy get it if you cant see this you are blinded buy greed and will be very disappointed come patch day.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

People that spent all their laurels on dyes are going to be mad if Anet adds some very desirable but expensive laurel rewards in the near future.

Posted by: Korossive.7085

Korossive.7085

Trahearne says: This well wont end.

Posted by: Undertaker.2731

Undertaker.2731

Even if they are not account bound….

I still don’t understand why everyone is making a mad dash to buy dyes…. do people not realize everyone and their mom will be doing the exact same thing they are… trying to create un-id dyes then sell them… Price is going to drop like a rock patch day when everyone goes to cash in on dyes.

Plus, going from character to account bound will decrease demand from dyes because people would need less of them.

So we go a increase in supply and a decrease in demand coming and people buy? #insanitywolf

U will still need uni dyes for Bifrost.

Posted by: Eyelusion.8205

Eyelusion.8205

I had to work too. I see the cheapest dyes are up to 20 silver already…they were only 4 silver before the dye account bound news.

I don’t have the “Gift of Color” either. Unidentified dyes went from 34s to about 60s and are still climbing…OMG! Getting a stack of 250 unidentified dyes now is going to be so ridiculously expensive. Maybe it’s just time to give up and buy that legendary than try to finish it with new expensive items like this. Gift of Color is going to cost my close to 250 gold by the time I get home, lol.

Gotta love the trading news with a 24/7 market for the PST players like me. Only noon here still.

Ele’s Pwn J00!

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

This is so broken… ^^

Unless ANet themselves have bought all the dyes, this is the most irritating move in MMO market history I have seen.

Other companies would have ended all auctions on dyes, than introduced the system. ANet seems to like punishing their players (and I do not even had dyes on the TP). Way to go, kick them players in the teeth!

Posted by: Recalibar.6482

Recalibar.6482

Hi everyone, I’m one of the kittens who decided it was a good idea to stock up on dyes the day before the announcement. Now I bought a legendary.

#capitalism

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

None of those points addresses the issue of dyes already unlocked on individual characters being converted to account bound or not.

It’s a logic problem, not an explicit statement.

1. Dye will be unlocked on the account, not the character.
2. Duplicate character unlocks will reward you with unidentified dyes.
3. In order to determine if duplicate unlocks exist, they must first become account unlocks.
Ergo: Current character unlocks will have to become account unlocks in order to determine if you are entitled to any duplicate unlock bonus dyes.

1 glob of ectoplasm says that’s not how it ends up happening. This is Anet we’re talking about.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

mtpelion.4562

Ok, I’ll rephrase. …. Rather than, “receiving one unidentified dye for each duplicate dye already unlocked on your account” a more fair system would be to receive x number of unidentified dyes based on the rarity of the duplicate dye already unlocked on your account. Perhaps maybe even this would work…. receive one unidentified dye of equal rarity for each duplicate dye already unlocked on your account.

A “fair system” would be for you to get no unidentified dyes at all. You’re already getting more than you deserve so be happy with it!

It’s like this:
6 months ago you bought 2 new computers and put 1 in one room and 1 in a second room. You paid $3,000 for those 2 new computers.

6 months ago I bought 1 new computer and put it in one room in my house. I paid $1,500 because I only got 1 computer.

Today, the computer company is calling you up to tell you that on 4/15, they will give you a new, free computer for every room in your house and on top of that, you’ll be getting a free random electronic device since you had bought 2 computers in the past. I’m also getting some free computers for every room in my house, but I’m not getting the free random electronic device because I only bought 1 computer in the past.

Now, you’re completely ignoring the fact that you are being given THOUSANDS of dollars worth of free stuff and are instead focusing on the fact that you don’t believe that the free random electronic device will be worth $1,500.

grayskull.2367

Oh i see that’s luck then good job that every player in game wants a G i f t o f C o l o r or can’t get the dyes with laurels of wait! they don’t and can. flawless resigning once again.

not to mention the amount of unidentified dyes that will flood the market come patch day with be ridiculous and they will tank hard you going to lose tones of gold.

(edited by grayskull.2367)

Posted by: EmoDevo.3209

EmoDevo.3209

I already unlock all common and uncommon last year for 5 characters.
I do it for fun and also it was so cheap (about 4 or 5 gold for one character).
Let’s see what is profit margin for something I did in spare time without knowing.

Posted by: Aethyl.7519

Aethyl.7519

Greetings,

As it has been said, the town clothings, or “costumes” will see their functionality reduced to a simple tonic, so they can be used in combat.

A legitimate feature, I can agree about that, since many asked for that.

However, noone asked to get the customisation of said clothes to be reduced, and by a huge margin.

No more dyes, and no more mix and match, only “one and only” set.

I can understand that it was mainly a RP feature (mainly, not only), but it was a FUN feature. One exemple could be the story of that huge Norn with a winterday outfit, a christmas hat, a big white beard, that was distributing gifts in Lion’s Arch.

It’s fun, and offers appreciable moments to the community.

I already know that some people will consider that complaint to not be acceptable, but those sets were actually from the GEM STORE, and as such, many players used real money to buy them.

I personally know many RPers that constantly paid to get new outfits and clothes for their characters, or to get new character slot, and also to change the appearance of their characters.

RPers also bring some money to you, Anet, and you are just forgetting them with that update, and it’s not acceptable.

And no, I don’t want to get a refund, I want to keep my outfits as they have been from the day I buyed them, dyeable, and mixable.

So, let us keep that option, while also offering the tonics for the ones that want it.

Simple.

Hoping that this request will be considered.

A Charr just wanting to stay classy.

Attachments:

mtpelion.4562

None of those points addresses the issue of dyes already unlocked on individual characters being converted to account bound or not.

It’s a logic problem, not an explicit statement.

1. Dye will be unlocked on the account, not the character.
2. Duplicate character unlocks will reward you with unidentified dyes.
3. In order to determine if duplicate unlocks exist, they must first become account unlocks.
Ergo: Current character unlocks will have to become account unlocks in order to determine if you are entitled to any duplicate unlock bonus dyes.

1 glob of ectoplasm says that’s not how it ends up happening. This is Anet we’re talking about.

Well, the alternative would be for them to delete all of your dyes and give you nothing unless you had 2 or more of them, and that would result in an actual angry mob burning down their building so I doubt they are going that route.

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

Yes it’s too bad that my having a JOB derails any possibility of me making any TP coin in this game. Thanks ANet.

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

Posted by: Vinailt.3248

Vinailt.3248

I’m going to add in some quick math I did. In order to get the 250 unid dyes you’d need for Bifrost, you’d need 7,200 gems to get the dye packs. That’s $90 USD or about 468 gold.

Or you could grind out laurels! 125 laurels, to be exact.

Vinailt/Aislinn Yula | Officer of Dolyak Attack | Commander of Attack of the Yaks | Yak’s Bend

Posted by: Awbee.8405

Awbee.8405

What? I didn’t know about this :O that’s pretty terrible if true. My asura needs her wintersday outfit to be pink!

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

Yes it’s too bad that my having a JOB derails any possibility of me making any TP coin in this game. Thanks ANet.

I’m also at work right now, and I’m sure I earn per hour here than any farm possible in game

But I would love to be at home to flip some dyes >_>

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Or you could buy 250 of the cheapest dyes on 2 different characters and Anet will give you 250 unidentified dyes on patch day.

Or you could harvest them.

Or you could chef craft them.

Or you could get them from PvP.

Posted by: SirMorgenStar.6721

SirMorgenStar.6721

Huehuehue, keep telling yourself that while i wipe my monocle and fill my bed sheets with gold.

Posted by: Vorago.3651

Vorago.3651

I think that the fact that the conversation is even happening (all over the GW2 related internet and in game, lol) means we should probably get some clarification… which was all I originally wanted.

I think everyone knows that some people believe X will happen and some will believe Y. Only ANet knows.

Community Leader
www.binary-alliance.com

Posted by: Soulmyr.8094

Soulmyr.8094

Actually the chance of biggest profit is already over. Those who managed to buy the unidentified dyes in the morning at the old price and sold it when it peaked ~1g made the most of it. This might even turn into gossamer/ori fiasco that happened with ascended armor release.

Recalibar.6482

not to mention the amount of unidentified dyes that will flood the market come patch day with be ridiculous and they will tank hard you going to lose tones of gold.

If you were smart you’d prepare for that.

WINKWINKNUDGENUDGEAMIGETTHINGTHROUGHTOYOU?

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Oh, I hadn’t even thought about dying outfits. I really hope that will still be possible.

I agree that it sucks we won’t be able to mix and match any more though. I put off buying any town clothes for ages because I didn’t like any of the complete outfits, when I did buy one it was specifically because I could split it up and use bits on different characters.

Now I probably won’t use it any more.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

People that spent all their laurels on dyes are going to be mad if Anet adds some very desirable but expensive laurel rewards in the near future.

If they do, I’ll earn more. I had 70 sitting around today and spent 30 on dyes. Unless it’s some game changer, it’ll be hard to get me to regret my decision.

Celtic Lady.3729

I already unlock all common and uncommon last year for 5 characters.
I do it for fun and also it was so cheap (about 4 or 5 gold for one character).
Let’s see what is profit margin for something I did in spare time without knowing.

According to some, there won’t be much of a profit margin.

grayskull.2367

Unid Dyes will be worthless and stop spouting the same rubbish about britfost not everyone want one of them and the people who do will have so many Unid Dyes them self creative out of fin air or will be able to buying them from the tp for peanuts that you mister quick buck will be out of pocket and kittening about it on the forum

Posted by: Vincent Von Demetri.1450

Vincent Von Demetri.1450

This is an absolutely unfair way to treat players who followed the original method put forth to dying your characters. I personally bought Abyss and Celestial on all my characters to ensure that they had the looks I wanted throughout the game. This cost me several hundred gold. To those of you who claim, oh you are only gaining by this… no, you aren’t. Consider the money sunk to get these dyes, everyone who spent gold on them couldnt spend that gold on other items they may have wanted. Maybe we should all just get legendaries too since that’s free and evereveryone wins! No harm no foul right? You’re all too ignorant and self centered… it’s okay because you are gaining something and “a few others” lose. It’s okay in that case right?

The simple solution is a 1 to 1. If a player has a duplicate. Return them a duplicate of the EXACT SAME type. This is simple business practice, and since gold in this game carries an equivalent real life monetary value, ANET is essentially extending a nice big middle finger to those that played by the rules. Shame on you ANET, very very very poor business practices with this company. Do what is ethical and right, something you seem to be doing less and less lately.

Recalibar.6482

Wow, listen to yourselves. Anet does something good for the whole community and now you’re just kittening that you didn’t get a better deal out of it.

Wow, guys. Wow.

Posted by: somsom.5201

somsom.5201

Why are the mods merging topics on skins with topics on dyes…

sigh

What a waste of my time.

Celtic Lady.3729

Wow, listen to yourselves. Anet does something good for the whole community and now you’re just kittening that you didn’t get a better deal out of it.

Wow, guys. Wow.

You don’t appear to understand what people are saying. Changes to games like these are complicated with foreseen and unforeseen consequences. Even “good” changes have problems associated with them. Any other view is childishly simplistic.

Posted by: Aethyl.7519

Aethyl.7519

… Why the hell is my topic here, indeed.

Posted by: Terrorsquad.2349

Terrorsquad.2349

So excited to get an unidentified dye for every Abyss and Celestial dye I’ve bought on 5 characters \o/

/sarcasm off

Denied | 5.9k PvP Games | PvP Rank: 236 | 8.6k hours | 9 Legendaries | Still Bad.

Recalibar.6482

Wow, guys. Wow.

You don’t appear to understand what people are saying. Changes to games like these are complicated with foreseen and unforeseen consequences. Even “good” changes have problems associated with them. Any other view is childishly simplistic.

I’m aware. It boils down to two different things.

1) Being kittened off because you feel you’re entitled to something that nobody else should have because you worked so hard to get it in the first place. Therefore they shouldn’t have it because you’re so much more of a special snowflake than they are.

I mean, why should filthy casuals get the same thing you did, right? Those people don’t deserve them.

2) Being kittened off because of prices. I mean, have you seen the prices on dyes? How are we ever going to be able to afford them? (Or just kittening about the prices because you didn’t “Get in on the action.”)

Give it a day to drop to half value. And another week for them to be back under 5s each. I promise.

(edited by Recalibar.6482)

Posted by: Volmarg.4310

Volmarg.4310

You won’t get rid of ppl like me
ANET!

What’s gonna happen with ppl like me who bought many abysses/celestials etc for each new chars we made!

You just gonna leave it like that, and so other ppl will get dyes account from now on?
HUH!?

Posted by: Graka.9457

Graka.9457

I know this might seem a little silly but I want to make sure about this. If I have already learned a dye, say Celestial on my Main character, when the patch on April 15th hits, will I now have Celestial colour across all my characters, or will I need to relearn this colour to unlock it across my account? I ask because there seems to be people on both sides and no information from Anet on this. Any firm proof, or an answer from Anet would be appreciated.

I’m sorry, I can’t hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Posted by: Setz.9675

Setz.9675

One of the biggest changes we’re making is that dyes will no longer be unlocked per character but per account instead. When you unlock a dye after the feature pack is released, all characters on your account will have unlimited access to that color.

If you already have the same dyes unlocked on multiple characters, when you log in on additional characters, you will receive one unidentified dye for each duplicate dye already unlocked on your account.

The first part of the text: ‘When you unlock a dye after the feature pack is released, all characters on your account will have unlimited access to that color’ implies that the dyes we have unlocked pre-patch will not become account bound.

The second part of the text implies that the game recognises 1 character as a main and removing all dyes from alts that are ‘double’ giving the player an unidentified dye in return. Basicly saying that pre-patch dyes become account bound too.

Could someone clear this one up for me?

Recalibar.6482

ANET!

What’s gonna happen with ppl like me who bought many abysses/celestials etc for each new chars we made!

You just gonna leave it like that, and so other ppl will get dyes account from now on?
HUH!?

Yes.

Posted by: Wildkitten.3872

Wildkitten.3872

This is something I would like to know the answer too. I have seen this same topic in the large feedback and question thread, but no ANET response has been given in that thread.

Can ANET please tell us if we now have dyes learned on two characters, for me I have Celestial Dye learned on my Ele and my Guardian, when I log into my Ele it will then make Celestial be account wide and when I log into my Guardian I will get an unid dye, or will it be that post patch that Celestial Dye will only be known on my Ele and Guardian and if I want it account wide I need to learn it on a 3rd character and then when I log into my Ele and Guardian I will get an unid dye each?

So far it seems most people are leaning toward the former however quite a few believe the latter. An official response to let us know about how this will work would be very appreciated.

Thank you.

Jaina Kitten, Level 80 Elementalist, Main
Yak’s Bend – Expletus

Posted by: Sitkaz.5463

Sitkaz.5463

Wait, what? Why was the thread about gemstore armor merged into this thread? It has nothing to do with dyes.

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

The whole system is getting overhauled. I seriously doubt they’re going to leave the old system of soulbound dyes in place in addition to the account-bound dyes, that’d be a waste of system resources. The old system is getting removed, the new system getting added, and any dyes you currently own on any character will now be unlocked for your entire account. Duplicate dyes, since they do nothing for you (if you have a Blue dye on one character, the Blue dye on a second character won’t do anything because its already account-bound from the first one) are being compensated by giving you an Unidentified Dye.

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

If I have already learned a dye, say Celestial on my Main character, when the patch on April 15th hits, will I now have Celestial colour across all my characters

Yes you will have.

And if you have the same dye on different toons, you gain a unid dye per duplicated dye you unlocked previously.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

Celtic Lady.3729

Without an official response, I’d have to say that it makes no sense for them to refund dyes for duplicates if we were going to need those colors for alts post-patch. Therefore the only logical answer is the dyes you have unlocked now will be available for all your other characters immediately following patch.

Posted by: Overkillengine.6084

Overkillengine.6084

ANET!

HUH!?

Yes.