Lost Shores Feedback Thread

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: striker.3704

striker.3704

I honestly really like one time events, even though I missed half of them this weekend. They make it much easier to have something really affect the world.

It’s my sincere hope you guys don’t get your wish of removing something so unique from the game.

D/S/R necromancer F/A/T elementalist
S/I/F engineer Z/R/D guard

Posted by: Caelib.2497

Caelib.2497

The initial phases were a complete failure due to blocking bugs. These are the most frustrating part of GW2 in Personal Story, Dungeons and now Special Events. I do not know the architecture, but I highly recommend analyzing it determine how to better handle these things because player frustration is very high when this happens (which is frequently).

The one-time event itself was worth the two and a half hours of effort invested only because I was one of the VERY lucky individuals to get a precursor that I could sell for a very large profit on the TP. Had I not received this drop, I would have been a bit disappointed.

The scale of this event brought to light a big problem with Guild Wars 2 that usually only manifests itself in WvWvW: culling. We had so many people in our overflow that we frequently wiped because we kept running into huge crowds of invisible NPCs when moving up and down the ramps in the mountain.

I understand the desire to make something “huge and epic” … but 100+ people all beating on the same monster for several minutes isn’t epic; it’s a performance problem even with a high-end machine. I would argue that a smaller group of say, 20 – 30 people will feel more epic since players will actually be able to see what’s going on instead of particle effects from thousands of attacks at the same time.

Posted by: Black Regent.5897

Black Regent.5897

were not paying customers. yes we bought the game, no we don’t pay monthly. if we paid monthly then id sign.

Sooo we BUY the game but are not PAYING costumers? Did you get it for free?
Or can’t I just follow tht logic?

We payed for the game, so we are paying costumers.

/signed

your an idiot. we dont pay in the sense of wow. we pay once. anet owes us kitten.

Actually, they owe us more then kitten if they want us to keep buying gems, giving good word of mouth advertising, and playing the game so their servers aren’t a ghost town

Actually, they owe you more than kitten regardless. The game is not free, never has been and probably never will be. It cost $60 and there was an implied agreement that it would be provided in a working condition available to the people who forked over the dough.

I cannot begin to imagine how little self-respect I’d have to have before I started advancing the thoroughly laughable idea that a company gets to completely abdicate its responsibilities to paying customers simply because those customers only pay one time as per the original agreement.

I paid $60 for access to a game. I expect access to the game.

That said, I had access. Horrible, laggy, ridiculously pointless access that resulted in me getting nothing but repair bills after getting lagged out of a two hour zergfest. If I could give up my time slot to some of you folks who missed this event because of other responsibilities I would gladly do so because it was just painfully not worth it anyway.

I completely agree with you. They told us: " you can participate in our event now".
And I did, spend in total about 4 1/2hours in it, and the moment the karka felt in the lava I got kicked… getting no reward.

It’s comparable with watching the new James Bond movie and then they cut of the last 20 minutes of the movie and saying: “sorry, our camera is not optimised. Well, kitten happens, have a good day”.

I payed for the complete game, so I expect a complete game.

At least you got to see the last fight. I could live with not getting the loot if I’d at least been able to finish the stupid event and see the ending. Our overflow server got so lagged out after 2 hours it couldn’t be moved past the 2nd reinforcements wave because of 2+ minute skill activations until a bunch of people got DC’ed or gave up and quit out of frustration.

Posted by: Northlander.4619

Northlander.4619

Here are my (mostly negative) thoughts about the lost shore and a bit of (hopefully constructive feedback:

Rushed content

Please take your time in developing the content so it doesn’t bug out. You don’t really need to run events like this every month if they are buggy. Take your time. People will come back for them even if they have left.

Communication

ArenaNet is probably the worst company I’ve yet to see when it comes to communication. No real info about what to expect from different phases. No info about problems either. No mails, no server messages, no nothing. You had to leave the game to actually receive any info and even then it was stingy.

• Suggestion1: Please list what we are to expect from each phase. You don’t need to go into details. Just mention things like “join us in a phase 3 for a chance to get some epic loot” and “join us in a phase 1 for a one time cinematic invasion”.
  • Suggestion2: When problems pop up don’t just leave people hanging. Send an ingame email /update the event description explaining that there are problems and you are working on a fix. Give estimates on timeframe and update them as necessary.
  • Sugestion3: Make it more clear where an event starts and when it ends. Phase two for example was very confusing. Phase one wasn’t much better.

One time events with big rewards are bad

People have stressed this a lot. Don’t put the big rewards behind a single one time event. Especially when it’s guaranteed that a lot of people will miss them. At least don’t put all good rewards behind it.

• Suggestion1: Reward a single token for participating any of the event phases which people can turn in for an exotic/unique/interesting reward. It shouldn’t be too difficult to make a reward chest similar to the ancient karka which unlocks with a token. This rewards even those who have very little time and can join just one of the “one time only” events.
  • Suggestion2: Spread out the good/unique stuff on multiple tasks. Give a token for participating any one of the event phases which can be turned into random exotic. Reward an unique item from the scavenger hunt (i.e. the “karka ring”). Allow turning smaller collectible tokens you gather into useful stuff like the box etc etc.

Culling problems

Culling made the big fights hard. It’s not fun to die from enemies you can’t see. You run forward to a spot that looks empty and suddenly you find yourself dead. A moment after a champion karka phases in – it had been there all the time but your client just didn’t show it. This and lag made the event frustrating.

• Suggestion1: Please consider splitting the “main event” into 3-4 simultaneous events so people will spread out more. There could have been multiple events simultaneously starting on different parts of LA / Cove (depending on phase) leading to a single “final battle”.

The good

Skipping stones is very fun! The new dungeon is very fun (except swamp)! More stuff like this and I’m happy. Also please add dolphin racing minigame / “jumping puzzle” into the game!

Thanks for reading.

(edited by Northlander.4619)

Posted by: Lynne.8416

Lynne.8416

I agree that no “one time” events should be implemented. For “world changing” events I have no problem with the cut scene. If you are there to witness the onslaught, yay for you. If not, you can view it later on youtube. I feel that the events should be weeekend events – starting Fridays 12pm PST and ending Midnight Sunday. These events should continue through out the weekend. ie drive the karka out of the following areas of the map. This should help with the extreme “lag/disconnect” issues that have been occuring. Also this would eliminate the “chest at the end” fiasco that occurred this weekend.

Posted by: Flowrence.4683

Flowrence.4683

I must say I got seriously mad. I played on a lvl 72 fuardian because it seemed more fun than to play on my ranger lvl 80). And when I finally got the chest on the end.. I was so looking forward to the lvl 80 exotics… and I got [CENSORED IN RAGE] items with lvl cap 72. I must say that I am seriously dissapointed in this, and that you (A-net) should atleast have warned us… This was the perfect chance for me to get lvl 80 gear so that I wouldn’t have to farm so much.

Thank you for ruining the entire event for me with kitteny gear.

Posted by: Venator.7392

Venator.7392

I’ve played the whole weekend, and the time of the event was no problem. The problem was Sunday. I could have stayed home and play, but I was invited out with some friends. So even tough I played nearly the whole weekend I was not able to get a single item! The end reward equals month of works for me.

This is absolutely unfair and It makes me extremely angry. Please ANet, reward the players that participated no matter if they couldn’t participate in a one-time event.
ARGH

Posted by: moonjo.9831

moonjo.9831

Wow dropping significant rewards in the lagfest event is a brilliant stroke of genius ANet. B-R-A-V-O

Posted by: Lootin.5709

Lootin.5709

I also loved this event, way to many babies crying that they couldnt make it or blah blah blah, same kitten Anet comes out with something great and everyone has to complain about something.

Posted by: Boogiepophantom.3041

Boogiepophantom.3041

Im tired of the oceanic communty of such little impact
of "one time events " which usually fall on a monday and ungodly hour when most of us have to work / go to school etc
not to mention rng chas shop chests are a bad idea wwould be better off just puttig a higher price on the items and releasing them seperate

Posted by: Sharkan.3046

Sharkan.3046

1 more people against one time event.

Changing the world is good, but make it happen on a longer timeline so everyone has a chance to have fun with it :-/

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

Most MMOs avoid one-time events for a reason. Badly executed, they will kitten off all of their customers.

Best example: This event.

Those who participated had to suffer massive lag, endless mobgrinding and many missed the reward.
Those who could not participate feel betrayed by seeing all those shiny items which were given away.

So most of the playerbase is now unhappy – way to go ANet…

Posted by: Setsuna.3629

Setsuna.3629

Firstly, I don’t think one-time events are fair to players when the standard of game-play is not up to par and is fraught with problems like lag and disconnections. I was sorely disappointed with the high amount of lag that I experienced today. Eventually it got so bad that I was disconnected and after that I was unable to log back in to complete the event. It was a shame that I couldn’t fully enjoy the experience.

Secondly, I really dislike that it limits which players can participate, due to different time-zones or prior commitments. Fortunately for me I could attempt to participate in the event, but I did have to wake up at 5am, which was inconvenient for me as I had to leave for work in a few hours, but I made the effort because I enjoy the game. However, I feel like I wasted my time because of the poor execution.

I appreciate the new content and the concept of bringing us more dynamic events but I hope for better execution in the future. I don’t want to invest my money, or my time, in a game that has inaccessible content and is unreliable.

Posted by: Erydine.5612

Erydine.5612

Overall I was disapointed with this event. While the base was sound the “finished” product was unpolished and lacking.

1. Multiple bugs for a good portion of the content.
2. Unpolished new enemy lacking depth. (Mini crab/ Med. Crab/ Big Crab)
3. Lack of good/unique rewards (save ancient Karka, or so I heard) such as 1300 medals
for a lionguard skin weapon, which is already available with karma.
4. Biggest issue was the last event was one time and extremely limited.

As with many people I was not able to attend the final event. I like, many other people, had real life obligations, in this case work. By the time I got back from work (17:00 EST) I was too late. This seems pointless and exclusionary. There are many ways to make this a one time event for each player, which many people have already listed. This is by far the most vexing aspect of this event. Especially considering I participated in both the first and second phase, not that that matters apparently, and the only good rewards were at the end of the final event. It just seems so stupid to exclude so many people based on one peak time. Even if that’s when the most people are on at once, that still leaves out a good portion of the customer base. That is my feeling on this ill implemented event. I hope ANet takes note of everyones feedback as they have in the past.

Posted by: Magiofdeath.2745

Magiofdeath.2745

Here’s mine.

Fractals dungeon – I haven’t done this yet, since I don’t really run dungeons due to lack of guild activity. I did, however, witness a person that crashed out of the fractal he was in and landed in LA near the bank dead.

Gear treadmill – I’m neutral about the new tier of gear, but the grind to get some of the new pieces is ridiculous – 240 philosopher stones, 50 ecto, 250 t6 mats (which drop rarely) for one of the back pieces. Then 250 karka shells and 100 t6 mats for a blue infusion…yeah gg. Legendary grind is optional, this is required to do the later difficulties of the dungeon – make it less grindy.

Events – Phase 1 was broken, but I was eventually able to complete it. Phase 2 was somewhat interesting, just involved making some bases in the new zone. Phase 3 had its ups and downs for me. The ancient karka fight was a lagfest full of invisible karka that resulted in multiple wipes to the point I said screw repairing because I had a instant repair kit back in the bank, so I just did the final portion of ancient karka fight with only gloves. The reinforcement parts were very boring of the fight, but the other bits had some interesting mechanics, like the launching boulders via steam vents. Also, for some reason, the 2nd reinforcement part, I was completely lagged and couldn’t do anything. After that, however, I went back to normal latency. The loot was alright – sold the 2 exotics for 3g roughly…mainly liked the 20 slot bag and triforge-like ring really. I don’t really care about legendaries, so not getting a precursor really didn’t bother me. While it didn’t happen to me, it is rather BS that people got kicked out of event when you pushed the new build – not much I can say about that because just like you haven’t listened to previous complaints, you won’t listen to those complaints.

Lore – WTF was the lore of the karka? I read they got pushed up from the depths somehow and that they are an ancient creature, back when “the world was ‘emptier’ and the contents shaped differently”. Ok, so what does that mean? Did a dragon force them from the depths? And what does this mean – “A one-time weekend-long event that permanently changes the world in some places.” How did Tyria change? Maybe I just haven’t explored certain zones after the event was over, but what does this mean or was it just being used as an advertisement? Wait, was the lighthouse in LA the big permanent change, because if so, that’s not much?

New zone – Kinda boring now. There’s that shark event, the collection for consortium items, the collection for karka eggs, and the lionguard patrol even. Aside from farming passion fruit and karka shells, will there be anything added to the zone later?

New jumping puzzles – no complaints here – clock tower was the most difficult one I experienced and I was able to get passed that one.

Fort Aspenwood | Kurzick ftw!

(edited by Magiofdeath.2745)

Posted by: Sharkan.3046

Sharkan.3046

Responding to Kaiyanwan,

I totally agree. On top of 1 time event, the 2nd thing to bane is “big zerg fest” only leading to dumb play, bad framerate, confusing action, lag and server crash

Posted by: Celesica.5790

Celesica.5790

one time event = ppl complaining
week end event = ppl complaining
no event = ppl complaining
it is just too easy to find something to complain

Nobody complained about Mad King’s one time event though, since we can just watch it on YouTube and say, “Wow, it’s so awesome!” Never bothered about it.

Posted by: Gravehorn.3197

Gravehorn.3197

It was very disappointing to see people linking 5-7 Exotics and the Inventory Bag only to find out I just missed the event. I play when I can, I don’t need a game/ Game Company telling me when to play.

There should never ever ever be a “log on now to play or Tough Luck event”.

Anet needs to make the ‘events’ last Hours if not all day. Each phase should have been a series of small attacks with diminishing loot returns. Missed the first run of the event come back and participate in run #2. You get to open the chest. Come back for the 3rd ‘attack’ no chest, less of a drop chance for exotics ECT.

Making the event one time during what you believe to be a high player count time is good on paper, but falls short in reality. One time events mean everyone HAS to log on or they are borked. This increases lag, decreases play ability and excludes a large chunk of the player-base.

Posted by: Jaytov.2657

Jaytov.2657

I am going to say I enjoyed the content update, glitches and all. I understand that some people are probably upset of certain things that went wrong. But at the end of the day, what’s done is done and all we can give back is some constructive criticism.

The one time events are interesting and the rewards for the last one were at least worth the time investment into that. However, next time I might suggest that the event be more widespread, such as the same event having multiple objectives in different locations across the map that all tie into the overall completion and reward. Might help with crashing issues and enemies not loading (being invisible) and slaying 50+ people. Might also help those with not the greatest Internet connections/PC’s.

Secondly, the island was interesting. The enemies weren’t cluttered together like the other end game areas, so it made exploration relatively less frustrating than in places like the Cursed Shore. The geyser jumping puzzle was a step up from the Mad King’s Tower. Although smaller in scope, it was still challenging while not having the level of frustration the clock tower had.

The new crafting materials, since they are’t rare level materials, should receive their own collection slot in the bank for storage. Along with this, I am hoping that Ascended items will be available as drops or Discovery items in the future. I don’t believe that they should be as expensive as they are now unless you do something to make them more worthwhile to the cost.

Fractals of the Mists are fun and a little challenging, but it is nice that it is available to all, regardless of what level they are. Up scaling is good for these events and you should continue to use it for future events to ensure everyone has a chance at participation.

Thanks for the hard work on this game. I know some people have heavy dissatisfaction with glitches and bugs that have occurred, especially when they are on the receiving end of the bug or glitch, but an online game is a continually evolving game that takes more work that non-persistent games. Keep it up and I am sure this game will continue to do well.

Posted by: Vick.6805

Vick.6805

@ ANet: I suggest going back to the way events were handled in GW, where they happened once every so many hours. If you’re handing out loot that you don’t want people to farm (like the precursors), then lock the chest so you can only open it once per account. Literal one-time events, while a conceptually good idea for a ‘living world’ are a scheduling nightmare and only succeed in inducing rage.

Posted by: DoctorOverlord.8620

DoctorOverlord.8620

Facebook has an announcement that players will be compensated. FACEBOOK!?!? Where is this announcement on the official forums? In-game? Anywhere the player should find expected information?
I have nothing against using third party sites like Facebook, Twitter, or Reddit, but USE YOUR OWN kitten OFFICIAL SITES AS WELL.

Agree 100% ArenaNet has been relying entirely too much on disparate social media venues for communication. They need a single, unified source of information which should be their official web site. Links to the official site information can easily be provided on any social media.

Twitter and Facebook users know to check the Weather Channel for the weather. They know to check the Call of Duty website for Call of Duty news. They can check the Guild Wars 2 website for GW2 news, not serve as the SOURCE for critical information.

This failure of an event showed how players bond to overcome crappy design. We made it work by standing around rezzing and not playing. It was boring, tedious, and aggravating. Mobs had skills to effectively negate all control from the players. The mobs could knockdown for long durations, cause heavy damage, and blanket a large area in seconds. All those abilities stacking is not challenge, it is a nightmare. There is no teamwork that can overcome that except rezz-zerging, which is not fun.

Again agree 100% The fundamental design of the event was seriously flawed.
Even people who are trying to put a positive spin on the event are using words like ‘boring’ and ‘tedious’. This is the same thing as simply saying it was not fun.

@Gandolfi -]I was actually looking forward to tropical-resort themed skins and outfits. I would have gladly put down some money for swimsuits and tropical hats and such. I was very disappointed that there were nothing to be found.

Check my GW2 Comic Dynamic Events http://goo.gl/JyB3J (Short Google Link to Fan Content Forum here)

Posted by: zzled.9125

zzled.9125

After thinking about this a bit more, the most frustrating part for me was that it combined (1) a one time event and (2) legendary precursor rewards. I felt this was unfair.

But ANet isn’t going to rollback the rewards from this event. So the most productive thing we can do now is to focus their attention on how to make things better in the future.

I’ve written a bit more about it in another thread, and would love to get some responses and hear some better suggestions:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/lostshores/Lost-Shores-Creating-Winners-vs-Losers

Posted by: XenusTEHG.1965

XenusTEHG.1965

Dear Arena.net. I love your project and think GW2 is the best MMO in whole heap of all other mane stream online games. But your last event showed me thats not true. You dont respect the comunity.
I was out of money on my internet when event was about to start. It happend in 1:00, when all ways to pay for internet in my abiding-place are not available . So I missed all the event and havent got any unique items. I know that I will never be in that event, but I cant see all those players with 20 slot bags, precursors and exotic trinkets. I feel kinda cheated.
Furthermore, some of my friends also couldnt be at event due to work and studies.
I can close my eyes on event but I tried to obtain those unique Items sinse the event announcement, and I dont know what to do now.

sorry for my poor english

Posted by: Evene.5796

Evene.5796

Here is a video I made to show how the event looked on servers with a lot of lag. In this video there is a first server with a lot of lag, I got kicked from the game because of the lag, then I find a slightly better overflow server where I finished the event.

Before that I spent more than one hour, looking for a playable server, I tried 5 or 6 different servers, some were far worst than the one in this videos (40 secs+ out of sync).

You can see skills lagging a lot.

Expect from that, I think people covered the important point, in itself event looked like it could be good. The reinforcements phases far too long (could have been at least half long). The rewards felt good for once, so it shows that you listened to our feedbacks. So maybe too ambitious.

Posted by: tegrof.7285

tegrof.7285

As this is a feedback thread, I just wanted to add my feedback.

I am not bashing the game or the company, just stating my enjoyment or lack thereof of this event.

All I can say is, for a one time weekend event, I was sadly disappointed. Not in the content, but in the performance and level of problems. For something that is marketed as being a one time special event (I’m referring to the start of it and the tasks to perform), I expected it to be a little better.

The performance of the event kick off was pretty bad, I think most of us can agree. I can accept that pretty easy, it’s a lot of people fighting a lot of monsters with a lot of effects in a confined area. However, the fact that all the NPCs were bugged on top of this was the end for me. Once I found that later on I was still unable to perform the tasks of the event phase, I simply didn’t log on again for the weekend and went to play other games releasing new things to do.

I have been enjoying GW2 as a casual player that can pop on and do whatever, whenever. I can jump in and enjoy events that happen ( I really love special events and new tasks to do), but I just couldn’t be bothered to log back in for this one after having my expectations so thoroughly trashed.

Still think it’s a good game, but I was turned completely off this event after the first day.

Posted by: Harkan.2438

Harkan.2438

I have to say that unlike the Halloween Contest, this one I did not enjoy … I was not able to finish the event, get the tittle and so on because it was bugged and demo team just stop moving, … I stood there afraid of losing this almost working event for about 2 hours and because the time I spent moving from overflow to overflow I decided to wait until it was already too late and due to work, I logged out.

I believe some more time should be add for those of us unable to get this event complete, not because we were not there, but because of the overflows and event/server errors, the experience since day one were very similar to this one but they were later on available and thus completed but with yesterday event … this was frustrating above all …

Please consider in extending the event for one or 2 more days so that all who can or need to participate can finish this.

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

i didn t dc…
I m not interested in precursor, and i got my exo drop>.>

What really happened:

Long and boring fights against invisible foes with rendering problems oneshotting hundreds of players without even seeing what killed you (Gaming PC and ISP)

1 second lag

DC problems

total confusion…..

Its the third time out of 3 we have this problems….

My opinion:
Some people changed from bored to happy after opening the chest -.-

How sad

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

Posted by: Essarious Quw.8946

Essarious Quw.8946

I’m Loving:
- The invasion of Lion’s Arch was a really cool idea.
- The new models and the new area and all the fresh content that you’ve given us essentially for free.
- The chance at getting a prerequisite (I didn’t get one but the box and shell are awesome, ty)

- The Fractals dungeon (YES! A thousand times yes!)
- Meeting the members of the Captain’s Council.
- All the little lore tidbits (please put in readable books with pages we can turn and all)
- Fractal weapon skins.

I’m Liking:
- The fact that Karka’s are hard to kill
- The two new jumping puzzles
- The quest chain that lead us to beat up the Sylvari in Garrenhoff.
- The Consortium
- The difficulty of the one-time-event

I am not fond of:
- Another LA landmark gets destroyed (you are gonna run out of them at this rate).
- The sound bugs and glitches in the early parts of the event. CITIZENS CITIZENS etc.
- The inspection items that I feel like I can’t get rid of but the npcs didn’t seem to want to take off my hands.
- The length of the one-time-event (bit too much repetition! We didn’t need to beat back the re-enforcements more than once).
- Invisible Karkas.

DO NOT WANT:
- The new sylvari voice. Oh. MY GODs. I thought the Asura were irritating, it goes right through me like nails on a chalkboard.
- The crippling lag.
- The way that death is handled in the fractals. ( I get that it’s built using the same deal as the personal story but it needs to be more like actual dungeons)
- The crippling lag.
- The DCs in Fractals.
- The crippling lag.

A note on the lag: I occasionally get a DC from the servers when my router craps out (I need to replace it) but I never get lag as bad as I had with the first event in particular, I could also see the changes you made to the later events and I am very thankful for them but they unfortunately resulted in a nasty case of Invisible Karkas which as it turns out is a thousand times less fun than invisible zergs in WvW.

(edited by Essarious Quw.8946)

Posted by: Yumiko Ishida.3769

Yumiko Ishida.3769

I could hardly do any of the stuff except for the first two parts of the scavenger hunts (when they worked) when part 3 came around, I just gave up and refused to participate (and missed out on the loot), Why? Because I do not have a machine that can handle all that lag or 100s of players piling up in one area. It will be more trouble than its worth to try to get an 200g item!

This event was far worse than Halloween! At least I could barely function with the lag from that.

So for us with the worst machines barely getting by on Gw 2, how about you make an npc like after halloween that just gives us the bag and random precursor (one per account)?

Yumiko Emi Ishida 80 Ele, Hikari Kyoko Ishida 80 Guard TC-NA. Active RPer of NA megaserver.

Posted by: nbates.4701

nbates.4701

I think my main complain, the only critical issue, was lag and insane up-scaling which meant 1 hour of button smashing and not doing much damage. Those issues can be pinned down to too many players connected at the same time. Both can be solved by either having smaller overflows or giving players several changes to play the event so that they don’t go in all at the same time. And this doesn’t mean players should be able to repeat the event, I’m ok with playing content only once, but everybody should have higher changes of playing the events and people who is playing the event should have a smooth experience.

Regarding the story, I didn’t understand what happened during the first reconnaissance with Kiel. At one point we reached Camp Karka and Kield vanished. We stood there killing mobs and eventually disbanded. What was that about?

Also, when did the Ancient Karka appeared? we were planting bombs on the hive and suddenly we were told there was an ancient Karka that we need to manouver into the hive.

Those two last points are probably things I didn’t understand and not plot holes.

Posted by: Kosmos.3907

Kosmos.3907

Fractal of the Mist was good – I enjoyed that dungeon after grinding A/C, CM and other regular dungeons for so long. Nice change of pace and good level of challenge that was welcomed by many players.

The Lost Shore events was just an unpleasant experience for me due to lag/disconnects. The artwork, design, and monsters were great but it’s very difficult to enjoy the game when you can’t even go into the instance. I tried mulitple times Saturday/Sunday to get into the instance with the event but alas when I managed to get in, the lag spike was tremendous and it resulted in disconnects.

I tried again Sunday when a friend invited me to his instance 11PM EST but that world got filled up fast ( I think they were replaying some events in Overflow servers in EU). Got to the event that required escoring the guy to lay explosives but died due to invisible enemies and not being able to do anything during the fight.

Afterwards, I get D/C’ed again for about the 20th time that weekend and just couldn’t even get to login at all. Didn’t even get to see what the ending to this Lost Shore Event was .

Now, I just relied on watching Youtube video’s of the event just to see what it was about – same with the potential good items that were in it. Don’t mind missing out on the items/events – it is what it is – just got to keep moving along and learn from it.

Not sure what the right approach to handle these types of events but I think ANet should’ve forsaw what type of potential increase these events bring in. You just have to think that during 11/16 – 11/18, each account was allowed to invite 3 friends too.

Would’ve been alright with me if there was no Lost Shore event and just Fractals.

Posted by: BurningCrow.9816

BurningCrow.9816

I am totally 110% against taking out one time events! This is what makes this game unique! Wow. I can’t believe this.

Posted by: Airewing.4369

Airewing.4369

Just want to thank you Anet! I absolutely enjoyed this event – reminded me of Starship troopers Loved it. Yes, it was a lil bit too long, but epic to its core! And apart from some culling issues I didn’t have any problems and it is shame that people seems to be disconnected ( like my bf ). But he loved it as well! It really makes me cringe to see sooo much negativity on forums, it is totally unnecessary – Anet is doing what they can to fix problems, they trying hard to make fun events, and knowing that this game is still very young, all this pitchforking is very shameful. So, Thank you Anet! There are plenty of your supporters, we are just quiet a bit

Posted by: Oghier.7419

Oghier.7419

Final Day Event Feedback.

The Good:

- Performance started out a bit rough, but then became very smooth. Whatever adjustments you made to slay the lag, ANet, I hope someone wrote them down

- The series of events leading up to the final battle with the Ancient were clever and flowed logically from one to another. The gimmicks didn’t feel gimmicky. Nice design work!

- The loot. I didn’t get a precursor, but I was happy at how generous the rewards were. I’m also glad to see that folks who missed out on the earring can grind one eventually.

- Other players. This game’s mechanics do a great job of encouraging cooperation between strangers. Major events like this really highlight that. For example, every zerg had folks who spent most of their time rezzing.

The Bad

- The trash waves were too long. Those champion, and even veteran karka seemed to have a billion hit points, and they just kept coming. Nobody really wants to fight trash for 30+ minutes at a time.

- The loot. In retrospect, perhaps you should not have included precursors in the loot. Even though they were rare, their presence greatly magnified the anger of some people who were unable to complete the event.

The Ugly

- As I understand it, some people were unable to complete the event because the servers went down for routine maintenance, with the usual short warning. This is a blunder. You need someone to run the events as they happen, and that person needs to prevent things like this from happening.

Overall

Nice work! The good things can all be replicated, and most of the problems can be mitigated with the proper adjustments in future events. I was surprised at how smoothly this ran, and how clever the fights were. 7/10, would kill again!

Snit Dirtnap (Thief)
Ratbag Dogsticker (Guardian)
…Yak’s Bend

Posted by: Kityn.8247

Kityn.8247

I think the Fractals are very well made and are quite fun.

Phase 1 was interesting but I could not fully enjoy it at all due to the shear amount of players that were doing the event. Even switched overflows and they had the same problem. You couldn’t tell what was attacking you until it was right in your face. Also in extremely populated overflows your attacks would not work reliably. I really did not have fun at all during this event which is a shame because I bet I would have. I feel that all that hard work in designing this event was wasted.

Phase 2 was well designed and was quite fun for the second part. The player base was spread out enough that I could actually see what was going on. Loot drops however were really infrequent. The first part had the same problems as Phase 1 and was quite unenjoyable.

Phase 3 was fantastically designed but I could not fully enjoy it because it had the same problems as Phase 1.

Overall I found the events extremely well designed but only enjoyable in spurts because of the amount of players participating. The player population cap is set far too high for these kind of events. I know a lot of hard work went into these events but I feel that much of that hard work was wasted. I really wanted to enjoy these events and I bet if the player cap was more manageable I would have enjoyed myself a lot.

(edited by Kityn.8247)

Posted by: ozinator.9457

ozinator.9457

I don’t /sign this. This wasn’t a one-time event that suddenly spawned. As was posted earlier, it was announced well in advance. It is about priorities.

The 20 slot bag is not 20g. Run a couple Fractals and get a 20slot bag in there. The amulet isn’t the greatest either. It has a bunch of stats, but it is lackluster compared to the amulet I use for my build. I didn’t receive any precursers, and the 2 exotics I did receive were nice, but do the flood of exotics dropped from the chest, they are currently worth approximately the same as rare drops.

The lag was a bit unbearable, but resetting my graphics to best performance helped out a bit. I expected lag tho, because of the massive amounts of players just on my overflow server. With that logic, the only reasonable conclusion, was there were alot of overflow servers.

Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed the event. I hope there are more like it in the future.

Posted by: Zohar.4576

Zohar.4576

….
Furthermore, some of my friends also couldnt be at event due to work and studies.

Highlighted the relevant part of your post to comment further. Two of my friends haven’t played since about 1.5 months into the game. They were told by me that there was a cool one time event and to make sure to log on Sunday so they don’t miss it. They did, but after the event’s conclusion (they had a family function to go to I guess) expecting, like myself, that the event was all day. Net result?

They pretty much said it was kitten that the event wasn’t repeating as they were busy earlier and will resume not playing again :\

The new area is cool and all, but when you are expecting to take part in some cool event (especially when I told them how awesome the Halloween event was) only to found out it’s too late and it can never happen again, well to a player that lost interest it certainly doesn’t help get it back.

EDIT: To those saying they should take out one-time events. I don’t many here are asking this, only we are asking that they make them at least repeat all day or something. It’s not fair to people from different time zones (Aussies and New Zealand players had to get up at 8AM on a Monday due to time zones to play…what the kitten!) and people who have work. Those same people in different time zones I’m sure would have been happy to play 9 hours from then when their shifts were up but oh well, too late for them I guess.

(edited by Zohar.4576)

Posted by: Gremmore.1970

Gremmore.1970

I think LordByron sums up the things nicely for as far as Last event at least.
It was mainly borring, lags were ok but invis mobs or spawns on top of you was bad… sooooo many deaths.

But what troubles me most (as in other posts)..the timing!! Sunday Evening/late evening for at least CET and Eastern Europe even more!! Sorry to say but this was clearly in favor of US players.

I risked a gf fight by staying till end!!…and not for the fun i was having but for the fact that someone posted his loot in guild chat bit earlier…. but before that many already went to bed that had to work on Monday morning!!

Timing wise the event truly sucked…. that some people got more lucky then others with drops…well that’s life by now for ppl that play games. For those disconnected in the end, sorry man we had 2 inguild as well..total bummer.

part from that…i’m sure it was a nice event

Posted by: phantomdust.4729

phantomdust.4729

/signed

I managed to get to the end of the event, but got a chest filled with scaled loot (76 loot for an 80 toon?) and an exotic unusable by my class. No precursor, but six were linked to in chat by people around me.

Not only that, but I only got credit for 50 kills out of the myriad of kills I participated in. I was able to count them because my daily had reset and I hadn’t played since it had reset.

There are simply too many issues with this game and it’s supporting processes for this to be feasible ever again. It needs to stop.

Posted by: Wretchedscar.4796

Wretchedscar.4796

Dear ANet.
I had a Blast. The People in my guild had a blast and the people on my server seemed to have a blast. Lag was an issue, but I turned my graphics down and that seemed to fix it, however the culling seemed to blow the whole time and We were unable to see things more than a a certain amount ahead of us. Which was kinda hilarious when suddenly there’s poison everywhere, or the whole group got rolled over and we are suddenly cracking up wondering why we are dead. My largest ‘complaint’ would be that the two ‘reinforcement killing’ phases lasted a touch too long, but the bits around and between were fun (pew pew steam boulders!). There were times when almost the whole zerg was dead and people kited enemies away from the bodies so that somone could use a revive stone and start rezzing. It took an age but man it’s some of the most fun i’ve had in a while, even with the problems.

As for the rewards, I had hoped for a Precursor as I heard people were getting. Alas i got a named leather coat and an amulet that would have sold for about 5g then, likely less now. And you know what? I am happy with the bag and the accessory. I am jealous as hell to people who got Dusk/Zap/Etc, but good for you, Congrats.

To those that got booted at the end, I sincerely hope you get the reward you deserve when you send in a polite ticket to Anet.

To those who couldn’t miss it because of time Zone, that really sucks. I’m unsure if there is or ever will be a perfect solution, perhaps have it repeat 3-4 times in the 24-Hour cycle would be best?

What I do know is that even if there was 0-Lag, If Every Player was there, If Everyone got a Precursor, that this forum would still be flooded with anger.

So Not Signed. Arena Net, you broke a 6 year WoW Addiction, I log on and I have fun and I dont feel like this game is a job. Sometimes Amazing loot Drops, Sometimes I want to rub my face against a cheese grater (Stoopid Mad King Tower Puzzle!) However, none of those times have made me want to stop playing.

- A Player who enjoys this game.

Posted by: Makismo.6831

Makismo.6831

Hello everyone.

Just a quick reminder: try to stay on topic and avoid personal battles or off-topic posting as this does not bring anything meaningful to the other people writing in it.

Thanks!

I’m so fed up of coming to posts hoping to find that a member of staff has somehow responded positively to this quite frankly very important topic, only to have it be the same thing every single time; “Just a quick reminder”. Seriously, you’ve clearly been reading this, don’t you have anything else to say?

Posted by: jamry.1392

jamry.1392

Making it one time just makes it feel more epic and alot cooler. I thoroughly enjoyed it. To those that didn’t get to do it, that sucks but I see no reason to get upset about it. Sometimes you just can’t get everything you want. Once you realize that, everything is much more enjoyable!

Posted by: Parisalchuk.9230

Parisalchuk.9230

Hello everyone.

Just a quick reminder: try to stay on topic and avoid personal battles or off-topic posting as this does not bring anything meaningful to the other people writing in it.

Thanks!

I’m so fed up of coming to posts hoping to find that a member of staff has somehow responded positively to this quite frankly very important topic, only to have it be the same thing every single time; “Just a quick reminder”. Seriously, you’ve clearly been reading this, don’t you have anything else to say?

That response is the kiss of death. Once its posted no Dev ever post in the thread. Its basically a big “We Dont Want To Answer To The Players” sign, and sadly comes up in most important threads.

Making it one time just makes it feel more epic and alot cooler. I thoroughly enjoyed it. To those that didn’t get to do it, that sucks but I see no reason to get upset about it. Sometimes you just can’t get everything you want. Once you realize that, everything is much more enjoyable!

We may not get what we want, but I would like to get what I payed for. Weeks after launch they set their standard with “everyone is equally important” and starting at Halloween they broke their standard. I payed money for this game on the promise, among other things, of continued content. And now because of whatever real life constrictions a person may face they get to break that promise?

Make these ‘events’ either cinematics like Mad King, make them instanced so people can only complete it once, or make it repeating with the reward only being available once.

O O O O I I I O – Spoons and Sporks [Soup] (Retired)
http://www.twitch.tv/parisalchuk

(edited by Parisalchuk.9230)

Posted by: RoxBuryNine.4210

RoxBuryNine.4210

I felt that the Lost Shores event was designed and delivered with a smirk. I’m very disappointed in how this event was handled. If I were running the company I would be having a serious chat with people this morning and some of them would be looking for employment elsewhere.

This is my take on the thoughtless way this event was presented to the player base:

Phase 1: Let’s include a couple of scavenger hunts that involve NPCs in various locations. Then make sure that the NPCs are missing or glitched. That way players can experience the fun of wasting money using our glorious Waypoints only to find other players there. Hey, at least they’ll use Chat to talk to each other. Make sure that communication pertaining to the entire event is as incomplete as possible.

Phase 2: We here at A-net heard that “some” of you had trouble with lag or disconnecting or couldn’t finish activities from Phase 1. Too bad for you. Of course we never experienced any of those problems playing or testing any of it in our private la-la land. Move along. Note to staff: Make sure that communication continues to be as incomplete as possible. And whatever you do, make sure that you do not use the official forum to communicate anything that could be construed as helpful.

Phase 3: Also known as the proverbial carrot on the stick phase or “build it and they will come” no matter how badly they’ve been treated. Cut to official forum thread – “OFFICIAL: Boss Picture thread” where we can demonstrate how truly oblivious we are to their concerns. Hey, look we made it! Too bad you didn’t or couldn’t.

I convinced two friends sign up for this game in order to check it out. Neither one came back after Friday.

Posted by: Loosifah.4738

Loosifah.4738

Also if a “one time event” lasted all day, then it wouldn’t really be considered “one time” if it’s being repeated throughout the day.

Posted by: curtegg.5216

curtegg.5216

My only complaints of the event (I liked it):
1) The first day lag was horrible (they appeared to have resolved it for day 3, my auto-attack hit once every 3 seconds)
2) The buggy quest chain sort of put me off (I did manage to get up to the point of getting the shell, but not the commendations). Leave the precursors to the event in till the last day of the event so people can complete them.
3) When the events are indicated by mail, send the mail out 15 minutes before the event, not at the time the event starts.

Posted by: fotuenti.9481

fotuenti.9481

I found this event to be average, not a big hit but not a stinker. I did not enjoy it as much as the Halloween event. Here are my specific thoughts on what I found to be less enjoyable:

Communication. I made it to the event on Friday and was able to talk with the NPCs, this gave me a good idea of what I needed to participate. On Saturday, I was unsure of where to go for the event. After waiting around in Lion’s Court for about 30 minutes I gave up on participation for that day. Sunday I was lost for a short period of time but then noticed the in-game mail I had received and was able to find my way to the new zone. Although I managed to find the events(for Friday and Sunday), I felt that there could have been more information about what was happening. I think the in-game mail worked the best for getting my attention.

Game performance. During the final event on Sunday I managed to play for a few hours reaching an Ancient Karka(I’m not sure if this was the final boss). The game performance regarding interface lag was so bad that I ultimately gave up on trying to finish the battle. Although my movement seemed to work fine(with a little bouncing around), my action abilities did not seem to work at all. This was very frustrating and definitely detracted from my enjoyment. I’m not sure how this could be addressed, I was in an overflow zone if that matters.

I hope this is helpful, keep up the good work.

Posted by: War Siren.2346

War Siren.2346

I think the question is pretty simple (though I should elaborate I think the word hate is to strong and only used it because the Title “What do you have against the Weekend Work Force?” was too long.) What do you have against the Weekend Work Force, and other time zones for that matter? Did we not pay the same amount of money for the Game Box as everyone else? Personally I paid for a CE Box, and continue to drop 30-50 more dollars usd in the Gem shop every pay. Why is it my time is not as valuable to you as the Weekday Workforce?

We who are the weekend workforce already give up our weekends so that the weekday work force can spend time with their families, and we keep the world running those two days a week. Our time is just as valuable as anyone Else’s.

Seriously please stop these one time events and American Weekday Work force favored event times.

As many others have suggested there are ways around this to still keep events unique and make it so everyone no matter what days of the week they work, or what timezone they live in can have the chances to attend. (Personally I think an Eternal Battleground style instance that can support a lot of people is the best way and have it run for 24 -36 hours. and just have the loot chest be open able once per account.)

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and please consider all of your customers in the future we all paid for and continue to support this game, there’s no reason why a certain playtime demographic should be favored.

(edited by War Siren.2346)

Posted by: jamry.1392

jamry.1392

I also loved the event. I just started playing this weekend and things like this will make me stick around.

Posted by: Niteip.8301

Niteip.8301

This Last event was fun. some of it was a bit aggravating but it was fun and the reward was good even though I didn’t get a precursor.

Please don’t listen to the people complaining about one time events. One time events are great cause they create stories years to come. If I miss one oh well life goes on but I get to hear tales of others and epic battles later on.

It pains me to think that all the QQing could result in no more events like this and have them go away completely or turn into some cookie cutter “heart” quest. Please continue with the one time events. Maybe change the days they happen from time to time but don’t get rid of them.