Feedback/Questions: MegaServer

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

In short, the megaserver has killed the sense of server-based community, which was THE best thing about the game.

Remember that rush when Teq was revamped and the idea of a true open world raid style boss had everyone clamouring for world first? Remember servers banding together to try to work out how to do it all by themselves without outside help? Yeah, that’s not happening again.

All sorts of communities have been tossed in the trash with the MegaServer system, from RPers to hardcore PvEers to WvWers. I guess that’s what some call progress?

EoTM (basically WvW megaserver) told us this was going to happen. Its lack of community reduced it into a PvE karma train. Anet either didn’t learn from this or doesn’t care.

Posted by: Star Ace.5207

Star Ace.5207

I think the options were this or server merging. Think about which of those you would rather have?

Server merging.

Because the population on some servers was just fine pre-Megaserver, thank you.

Selfish reply, no offense intended. I assume you weren’t thinking to be selfish, however. But there were smaller servers with decent-sized populations that would never be as populated as your server-that’s no good reason to merge them, especially considering their WvW (not to mention, your server was until recently “full”, so no new or old players could join your established identity other than through guesting.)

In fact, this is more about server pride for people, IMHO. Often they feel ANet “took” their server’s identity away, so they feel slighted for it. While in truth, every server from Blackgate to Emhry Bay just get to see more people from other servers. You will still see your server’s friends, at least theoretically speaking (or as was intended).

I actually get to see some roleplaying now even outside city maps, which was rare even when I guested on TC, as they usually ended up being overflows (true story.)

If they work on refining the megaserver (and to be honest I assume they will), I can’t see how it’s bad for the game in the long run.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Not every change is going to make everyone happy, so the object is to make the majority happy. I have a feeling that the majority of the players like the Mega servers…

Anyways, you should not have posted this thread, you should have just put your feedback into the Mega Server feedback thread. This thread will either be closed or locked.

Unless you are referring to a different feedback thread than the one I saw this thread predates the other feedback thread by a couple of weeks.

Posted by: Deae.6415

Deae.6415

wat happens to the items in guild stashes when they finally merge guilds into 1 megaserver lol

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

Not every change is going to make everyone happy, so the object is to make the majority happy. I have a feeling that the majority of the players like the Mega servers…

Anyways, you should not have posted this thread, you should have just put your feedback into the Mega Server feedback thread. This thread will either be closed or locked.

Unless you are referring to a different feedback thread than the one I saw this thread predates the other feedback thread by a couple of weeks.

I was replying to Iceheater, the poster above mine. He created another thread about megaservers with that post above mine, about 10 minutes after I posted what you quoted his thread was merged with this one.

Posted by: Solo.9084

Solo.9084

I’m gonna rage a bit in a few words on a huge disadvantage which this new megaserver system gave us.

Let’s take Cursed Shore location, just for example. I’m logging with my 1st character, making whole location exploration and put orichalcum ore and ancient wood nodes on my map. Then I’m logging in with my second character, porting to Cursed SHore – and what a hell, spawn changed! Because kitten megaserver put me into another Cursed Shore copy! Okay, I’m not that lazy – I’m doing one more exploration and one more map, gathering it even with third character successfully, then I’m trying to do it with forth – and what do I see? Spawn changed again! Coz of another Cursed Shore copy megaserver put me into!

So my question is – I don’t even talk of I can’t help my friends with a maps I’ve already made, but WHAT A HELL I should make 100500 maps even for myself? Why making resources gathering so annoying and a way longer it was before, while you have simple obvious solution – if u put servers together in megasrever system, just make resources spawn exactly the same for all of them! It’s easy, why not doing so, while we still have restrictions for 5 orichalcum and 4 ancient wood for orr locations…. I just don’t get it….>.<

Posted by: Furikake.4052

Furikake.4052

Current work-arounds to get back to the same instance.

By grouping
1) Type /m lfg
2) Switch characters while in the group.
3) Right click on teammate’s portrait and select “join in” to go to the instance.

By solo guesting
1) Leave the group,
2) Type /ip to display the current server address in chat.
3) Switch characters using guesting to bias the megaserver algorithm.
4) Repeat 2 and 3 till you find the same instance.

As for why game devs make games time-consuming, it’s how the business is run. Whales spend their money whereas freeloaders spend their time.

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

Gathering is about exploring a map and finding nodes. By logging a second character into the same map you were taking a minor short cut and not exploring a new map. Players always seem annoyed when advantages/short cuts from having a second character are removed but there is often no good game reason why these advantages should exist (or not).

There’s also a point of view, that the OP presumably doesn’t share, that there isn’t much fun from following map of ore just to press the F key in the right places, then repeating the operation on another character. It does seem like personal time is being invested purely for virtual reward.

Solo.9084

3) Switch characters using guesting to bias the megaserver algorithm.

Ye, I’ve recently found this way to spam exact location u need (thanks for sharing with others btw), but it can take ages smtimes, as I said above – very annoying…>.<

Gathering is about exploring a map and finding nodes. By logging a second character into the same map you were taking a minor short cut and not exploring a new map. Players always seem annoyed when advantages/short cuts from having a second character are removed but there is often no good game reason why these advantages should exist (or not).

There’s also a point of view, that the OP presumably doesn’t share, that there isn’t much fun from following map of ore just to press the F key in the right places, then repeating the operation on another character. It does seem like personal time is being invested purely for virtual reward.

I guess if Arena would share your point of view, they would made from the very start personal node locations for every single character – its not hard, they would be just like personal story or hearts markers. But they didn’t! We could do this before, share maps with a friends and so on, and I really doubt ANet is gonna change their point of view on this after 1,5 years.

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

We could do this before, share maps with a friends and so on, and I really doubt ANet is gonna change their point of view on this after 1,5 years.

Why not? They’ve built a pretty good track record of doing 180s in their design choices.

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

“I guess if Arena would share your point of view, they would made from the very start personal node locations for every single character – its not hard, they would be just like personal story or hearts markers. But they didn’t! We could do this before, share maps with a friends and so on, and I really doubt ANet is gonna change their point of view on this after 1,5 years.”

My argument would be that they didn’t really have a point of view about alts mining maps, and probably still don’t. If it happens then it is a feature. If is doesn’t happen then it is not a feature. To make it really convenient they could just let players press one F button in their home instance to gather all their materials for the day, but where’s the fun in that? Walking repeatedly to known destinations and pressing F for each one must be much more fun surely?

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

My argument would be that they didn’t really have a point of view about alts mining maps, and probably still don’t. If it happens then it is a feature. If is doesn’t happen then it is not a feature.

That’d be my take as well. Just like guesting to other servers to get new nodes wasn’t really intended as a way to get more Ori on each character, the fact that it is now gone isn’t an issue either.

Posted by: Insyderznf.6329

Insyderznf.6329

If you always make the nodes spawn in exactly the same places every log in it makes it really easy to bot as well.

Solo.9084

Just like guesting to other servers to get new nodes wasn’t really intended as a way to get more Ori on each character, the fact that it is now gone isn’t an issue either.

You couldn’t get more ori and ancient nodes by guesting. The amount of nodes per characters is limited to 5 ori and 4 ancient wood nodes (for Orr locations) – no matter how many servers you were guesting. Well, to be exact – there was only ONE ori node, saying honestly, that one near the karka champion above at Southsun Cove, which could have been harvested 3 times – on home server and 2 guests, but that’s all.

Posted by: Vesuvius.9874

Vesuvius.9874

Node spawning in the same location was a bug which people were exploiting over and over. Megaservers have fixed that.

Are you complaining about ANet fixing bugs now?

Posted by: Lankybrit.4598

Lankybrit.4598

It’s a necessary change because of Megaservers, and not something they’re going to change back.

My Life in Tyria: http://lankygw2blog.blogspot.com/
Updated every Monday

Solo.9084

Node spawning in the same location was a bug which people were exploiting over and over. Megaservers have fixed that.

Lol, do u srsly think a resources spawn for all the characters for every single server was a bug for 1,5 years??? lmao.

1st, a kinda buggy thing, was a guest trick, when u could rly raise your ore income – like I just described above, regarding ori it was just 1 node at Southsun Cove, so ppl didn’t bothered much. What ppl were exploiting – it’s rich platinum nodes, which has no limit, and which because of guesting you could harvest on several servers at the permanent spots.

2nd, if we consider it as a bug – megaservers fixed nothing with that, it still exists, just takes u a bit more time.

Anyways, it doesn’t goes any near what I was told about in 1st post.

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

Are you at all familiar with how nodes spawn and how the MegaServer system works? Repetitive mining of nodes with multiple characters on a single server instance was NEVER a bug at all. It may fall into the category of an “exploit” if Anet ever stated they didn’t want players to do it, but I’ve never seen any such comments.

No doubt that the ability to easily “farm” the nodes generated a higher supply of T6 materials and if Anet wanted this end, they certainly have been some what successful with this change. There are certainly ways around the change (per the suggestions above) and I seriously think the situation is just a by product of the MegaServer system itself and was possibly not even considered when planning the changes as the ability to “track” the resource nodes was never considered a “feature” of the game by the Developers. It was just a side effect of how the server based map system worked.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Posted by: Vesuvius.9874

Vesuvius.9874

Are you at all familiar with how nodes spawn

I’d like to know your understanding of how nodes spawn.

Posted by: TylerWit.8301

TylerWit.8301

Dear Anet, I’m writing this because I’m incredibly upset. Megaservers have made running a guild a task and it is no longer enjoyable. Recruiting players is a hassle now and it’s not easy to find people on your server any longer like how it used to be. Everything about recruiting has become a close to hopeless chore. Everyday I get 40 people who want to join my guild, 38/40 of those people who reply to my recruiting message are on a different server. Yeah I could accept them in, but they won’t receive our guild buffs and they won’t help the guild earn influence on our home world server. And what about wvw? What are guilds supposed to do about wvw? What’s going to happen to pvx guilds two or three months from now when they have hardly any home world players in them to support their home servers in wvw? You can’t just rely upon recruiting them in wvw unless you are literally going to camp in wvw and spam a message every half hour; and even then no player who wvw’s is going to constantly be hanging out in wvw or doing it at every moment. Before the update my guild has a bountiful stream of influence because we have 60-100 people online everyday, we even hit 117 people the day of the update. we had 1.3 million influence and it just poured in easily, now we’re barely making enough to keep up the buffs daily because of this poorly crappy thought out megaserver design, how could you guys implement such a flawed system into the core of the game? I don’t understand that. It’s as if you guys don’t even care what happens to guilds or how upset people are about this megaserver, I haven’t heard one person in game say anything good about it, just how obnoxious it is and how they hate world bosses now. There is literally no challenge to a world boss besides three headed wurm and teq because you can LITERALLY hit 1 walk away and afk and get the reward, how sad is that on a challenge and design level, not too great, the game used to have substance and it’s slowly fading away into something designed for simpletons, I’d like to see a standard of quality return please like how the game was originally headed before things went lazy cause the game was headed in a beautiful direction like GW1 despite how slowly it was occurring. So many trolls from other servers verbally abusing people in in map chat cause they are enemy servers in wvw, they miss seeing their own server instead of these enemy server players. You guys rolled out this megaserver system and implemented it all at once when you all said you’d slowly place it in the game, so of course you don’t care how it impacts guilds and it’s players, and I doubt you guys will address this problem or if so it’s be far too late when you do, a lot of guilds will fall in power because you guys neglected to address the repercussions that this new megaserver is having on guilds. The problem is that when people are recruiting their looking for players in their server, well how are they supposed to be able to find all those players for their server when many of those players who are on the same map such as Queensdale are in a different “megaserver overflow” of that map and there’s absolutely no way for you to reach them. How is that supposed to work? And how is that fair to guilds? So you guys can go ahead and destroy the backbone of this games community, the guilds. That’s who you’ve hit the hardest, and the lack or response on anets part shows just how much they care about it. Which is a shame because this is my favorite game, and I’ve played GW since I was 15. But if you guys go ahead and destroy the hope of running a guild with enjoyment instead of turning it into the most grimacing task where I’m so caught up on trying to make sure I recruit people through this heap of a server that’s supposed to be unified, because I don’t want our wvw rank to suffer. To the point where I can’t even play the game anymore because it takes 5x the amount of time to successfully manage a guild on the same level as before the megaserver, then I’ll probably just have to start watching out for another game in the future. That Bless game looks pretty promising, will definitely take my guildies there when that comes out if it’s any good. Anyways hopefully for the sake of GW2 you guys will solve the problem soon. F.Y.I. I admit that I was one of the people who originally complained about the maps being dead, but how you guys have gone about solving that problem by not fine tuning the system is far worse than a dead map. Despite how enraged at least half of the GW2 gamers are over this, they’ll forgive such a horrible mistake and you won’t lose that many people if you ACTUALLY FIX IT within a reasonable amount of time, otherwise it’ll be your own undoing from what could have been a great legacy like GW1.
Sincerely, [vox]

Cloister of Wand and Pistol [vox]
Lady Cynn (Leader)
Gate of Madness

(edited by TylerWit.8301)

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

The megaserver systems requires the following things:

• The ability for guilds to create private instances or guild world events, and determining who can and cannot enter them. These instances won’t be map-wide. Like personal stories and the starting instance, they’ll have a “border” and teleport back in or kick out those who move outside the boundaries.
  • Numbering to identify each particular instance of a map created by the system, so people can try and enter the same map without getting in the same party.
  • Queues like in WvW maps, so people can queue to enter the same map if it’s full.
  • A list of all existing instances of any map available to any player from anywhere. For example, whenever they click a waypoint in that map from anywhere in the world, a third button in the waypoint confirmation message opens a panel with this list.
  • This list must include:
    • Number of friends on each instance.
    • Number of guildies on each instance.
    • Queue size.
    • If you are waiting in a queue, your position in that queue.
    • If the instance is a private world event instance, a symbol to indicate it, like a lock.

That way people will have an easier time getting together, and be able to set instances private to attempt things without random strangers if so they want.

applause

Absolutely. This is exactly what I was expecting. Being someone who’s played on single shard games for years I clicked on the map and LFG and social tabs trying to find this when trying to join guildies when they say they are on certain maps for certain events, I’ve yet to actually get to any events where there are ten or more guildies on that map.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

Guild Events: First activate bounty hunter, then go to the maps, play taxi until everyone of the guild is on the same server, start looking for the … oh … nvm

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

Posted by: aynrandy.8136

aynrandy.8136

Im a bit of a noob here… You are all moaning that you cant farm like you used to but doesnt that mean that there is less supply and more demand? Meaning that for the ore you do sell you get more for it? :s fairly sure this is basic economics… unless people just farm the nodes for the laugh.

Lankybrit.4598

Im a bit of a noob here… You are all moaning that you cant farm like you used to but doesnt that mean that there is less supply and more demand? Meaning that for the ore you do sell you get more for it? :s

It will probably work like that in the end. Prices will probably take a while to adjust.

Updated every Monday

Posted by: dkspins.4670

dkspins.4670

Previously, as in a year ago, drops of t-6 mats in heavy moldy bags was maybe one in 8, now it is (at least for me) one in 20, and usually gossamer which I have a ton of currently. Had been farming for legendary, but discarded that idea in favor of ascended weapons/armor, all of which require vast amounts of Ori & Ancient Wood Logs both to level to 500 and crafting the item. Those 2 items are limited by Anet per character. With 13 level 80’s I could send each of them to Frostgorge and 1/3 of them to Orr to acquire the Ori and Ancient Wood using a ore location website, along with sidetrip thru Queensdale to get the Empyreal Fragments, as well as trips to other areas to acquire Platinum, Iron and various Woods. But they each took the same route so it went fairly quickly (barring any events which would dump one into overflow). Since Megaserver, I send one on a hunting expedition, then another on an expedition, and so forth. Since node spawn locations vary on each megaserver “instance” it’s quite chaotic, and my time is better spent doing metas or whatnot, selling the loot I get, and buying off TP rather than wasting time hunting thru the various areas for something I may find or not find.

7k hr, 13k AP, 16 char, all classes 80 Sadly, 3.5k hr. Ranger

Posted by: thesoundofwolf.4678

thesoundofwolf.4678

Dear Anet,

I’m writing in this thread because I’m upset at the server erasure you have done with megaserver. At least so I can be in social hub zones (cities) with the server I chose to be on?!

Posted by: Evolved.2573

Evolved.2573

KEEP THE MEGA SERVERS!! they are GREAT!

Posted by: Xaal.7235

Xaal.7235

REMOVE THE MEGA SERVERS!! they are AWFUL!

Fixed it for you!

I see the people that like that the megaservers make tge game feel more lively and yes it’s great for new players and people leveling, but that doesn’t actually help the gameplay.

Megaservers have restricted content by having to created a strict time schedule for world bosses. As a result it’s now turned into a boring zerg train where people learn only to spam 1 to get a hit. The temples, Fire shaman and ogres are always completed, since the patch I have not yet been able to kill Lyssa or Balth where I use to do this daily.

Recruitment is now a complete nightmare, not too bad for North America but you try that in Europe where you can have people that speak 10+ different languages and they’re all blocked by default from communicating with each other.

Posted by: Asacledhae.2650

Asacledhae.2650

I really don’t want to be rude about A-net, but looking at the “News” section, it feels like they don’t really care about our feedback or suggestions, and instead, they release shiny and brand new items on the gem store.

So A-net, i would appreciate next week in the “News” section, to see a “Fixed several Megaserver issues” post, instead of advertizing new vanity items for quick cash grab. Your attitude and silence about our concerns and issues is simply insulting and irritating, considering the support we gave you from launch to the present day. We have patience, yes. But it’s starting to fade…

If what’s been said about you guys “lurking” in the forum and reading what’s been said is true, then i’m probably not wasting my breath. An MMO is a community, a “human body” if you think about it. You are the brain, we are the heart and limbs that allow the body to move and live. If you chop off the limbs, do you still expect the body to be as effective as before? And of course, if you keep mutilating it, do you honestly think that even the heart will survive? It’s common sense, so please act. Don’t be in denial.

The reasons we love the new downgra…..er….feature patch :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqJlKjwrKB4

Posted by: ICEAciD.8065

ICEAciD.8065

Feedback;

I have noticed that if I were to afk for a short period of time at or close to a waypoint and alt tab to look something up, I am finding that I am being placed on a low pop server.

I noticed this when stepping out of champ zerg for a short while and when I returned first thing I noticed was that no one was linking waypoints in mapchat, then I had noticed that I was the only one if not a couple of other players only killing the champions.

Now If I log out, not just switch characters than the system will place me back on server and again loaded with many people.

It is just what I have noticed and it has happened more than twice.

Posted by: Seraphina.6859

Seraphina.6859

I’ve already stated my feelings about the megaserver in another thread (Guild-World-Events-Megaservers-WvW) but I like to point out some issues here, too. It is too late for a system like this to be introduced to a game that had its server communities for more than a year. Also, many elements of Guild Wars 2 was not created with megaservers in mind (waypoints, the guild system, hearts and dynamic events, the new ascended material aquisition system). I feel that the megaserver is just too counterproductive to this game.

The megaserver is detrimental to both server and guild communities. You need these communities for the game to live on. Megaservers and megazergs will not be enough.

(edited by Seraphina.6859)

Posted by: lakdav.3694

lakdav.3694

Indeed, it is clear that the whole megaserver idea was thought out way after release, and wouldnt you know it, Anet pushed it out without even considering its effects to various parts and aspects of the game that players happen to hold dear. Or alternatively they did consider, and just blunted out some weak explanation on the original blog about how the old system doesnt work well with megaservers (like contested waypoints and orrian temples).

While what they should have known is that it is Megaservers that dont work well with the system, and should have scrapped the idea before a single line of code was written.

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Indeed, it is clear that the whole megaserver idea was thought out way after release, and wouldnt you know it, Anet pushed it out without even considering its effects to various parts and aspects of the game that players happen to hold dear. Or alternatively they did consider, and just blunted out some weak explanation on the original blog about how the old system doesnt work well with megaservers (like contested waypoints and orrian temples).

While what they should have known is that it is Megaservers that dont work well with the system, and should have scrapped the idea before a single line of code was written.

What they should do now is actually code it to work properly, tweak it and don’t sit on it in it’s current system. You’re right they have a long history so far of doing things without thinking through how it will affect multiple play styles but push it through anyways and then wonder why people complain, but trashing it at this point isn’t the best way to go. They need to tweak it to work like the OP says because what he’s describing is a single shard system that’s been used successfully by mmos for years. There are 4 I can name right off the bat right now that use this system successfully and it didn’t destroy a single community.

Tweak Anet Tweak, we need to keep this system but make it better, make players be able to choose which channel they join and label those channels according to how the game chose to set them up. “[Guild] [Friend] [RP]” please don’t sit back and wait for months to make the changes he’s suggested act now. Thanks.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

lakdav.3694

I have no illusion that they will roll the system back, even for a time while they get it to work as it should (even though i wish they do that). However, i think it is important to point out how mindless their development process and how unpolished and not at all refined their actual releases appear to be each and every time. That is a thing to improve as well, not just the actual releases.

Posted by: zaw.6741

zaw.6741

feedback

megaservers are great IDEA but they way they are now is TERRIBLE. doing guild challanges/rushes is pain (on each instance few guild want to do it. its almost impossible to end up in map when its not beeing done). world bosses (teq/wurm) are IMPOSSIBLE to do now. even with full map, organizing over 100 of random ppl isnt hard, there’s just no way to do it. ppl dont read map chat or dont understand it (europe…). just bring back old way with overflows and polsih megaservers. before we (sfr) could organize (jsut show up some time before kill) and kill it easily. now its just mess. only positive aspect is that less popular maps are more populated

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

I have no illusion that they will roll the system back, even for a time while they get it to work as it should (even though i wish they do that). However, i think it is important to point out how mindless their development process and how unpolished and not at all refined their actual releases appear to be each and every time. That is a thing to improve as well, not just the actual releases.

Megaserver was good in concept. It just had terrible execution. Terrible.

There are so many things that happened that they didn’t anticipate. I have to wonder how many people were working on these projects and why they were so thinly thought out.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

No, it isn’t important or even productive to “Point out how mindless their development process is and how unpolished and not at all refined their actual releases appear to be each and every time” – People don’t like being told that they’re ‘mindless’ for spending hundreds of hours working on and developing new systems, code, mechanics, assets, and everything else involved in an update, and it leads to criticisms getting ignored. If it’s a problem with their development process, figure that out and offer suggestions/feedback from there, instead of using dismissive generalizations.

Posted by: Arcade Fire.4895

Arcade Fire.4895

i think megaservers ought to be left for the lowlevel zones (say 1-50) and should be left out of orr.

megaservers in orr has completely ruined the economy. there’s literally no farm left and it’s driving precursors and mat prices (t6 specifically) up ridiculously high. i don’t know how you guys intend on fixing this otherwise.

most precursors are 1100g+, t6 prices are 40s+.

Posted by: Stormdancer.4972

Stormdancer.4972

I’m happy with almost everything about the megaservers. The larger populations are nice, in most cases.

However, it’s utterly wrecked any sense of community within a server.

Most events have become absurd zergfests.

Roleplay … well, there’s plenty written about that.

Lankybrit.4598

i think megaservers ought to be left for the lowlevel zones (say 1-50) and should be left out of orr.

megaservers in orr has completely ruined the economy. there’s literally no farm left and it’s driving precursors and mat prices (t6 specifically) up ridiculously high. i don’t know how you guys intend on fixing this otherwise.

most precursors are 1100g+, t6 prices are 40s+.

Why do you say it’s ruined Orr? I find there are lots of people there, but not too many, and people are calling out Champions, and doing Temple runs. It seems very good to me.

Updated every Monday

Posted by: Vandrin.9745

Vandrin.9745

My friends and I were trying to find each other in Divinity’s Reach for while before we realized that we were actually in 3 completely different megaservers after partying up. Since then, it’s happened again twice.

This isn’t working, Anet. Instancing isn’t consistent enough, roleplayers are being trolled and dispersed, and now I gotta party up with someone every time to make sure we’re in the same megaserver? Come on.

Posted by: Silicato.4603

Silicato.4603

In my opinion megaserver dont work and will never work, because no machine can know what i want to do right now. The machine can guess that i want to do guild misions with this particular guild in this specific area, but i can choose to join another guild and play with them.
Or even the machine can think that i want to play in the same server that this guy from my guild. But no, i prefer to play with this other guy.

You know what I mean? there is no way to improve the megaserver, because it will never know what i want to do today and with who.

Please, i propose instances, that we can create our own insances, for free, or just erase megaerver and come back to the previous iteration.

lakdav.3694

No, it isn’t important or even productive to “Point out how mindless their development process is and how unpolished and not at all refined their actual releases appear to be each and every time” – People don’t like being told that they’re ‘mindless’ for spending hundreds of hours working on and developing new systems, code, mechanics, assets, and everything else involved in an update, and it leads to criticisms getting ignored. If it’s a problem with their development process, figure that out and offer suggestions/feedback from there, instead of using dismissive generalizations.

I dont know how their development process goes, so i cant tell how to improve it. I can only point at the problem (and its effects) and speculate.

1. They concieved the idea. I dont know if it was to be a solution to a problem or just a thought in the head of one of the programmers.
  2. They went on to work on this idea, seemingly without even considering how it will effect numerous sub-systems.
  3. During their development they realized that the megaserver system had some problems with the current system. Contested Waypoints. World boss timing reliability. Mega-world bosses. Orrian temple-statue relations. Guild and party transfer.
  4. They fought with the problems for a few days, realized its a bigger problem than what they can solve, and so they decided to put the most basic “solutions” that were pretty much just the sweaping of the problems under the rug, in the introduction blogs. (contestable WPs appear always contested, world bosses on a schedule, Orr temples changing their whole premise)
  5. With not enough resources to test such a massive change on their own, they rolled the system out, with the premise of it being a slow but steady progress. Instead it rolled out in a week, flawed.
  6. They did so at a time when they couldnt possibly pay the attention such a massive change would deserve, the time of the China release.

As to how it could have been improved?

1. Should have remained an idea for a bit longer before they began to work on it. Should have refined the idea, but most of all, explore the reaction of the playerbase to this refined idea in a CDI thread in the very least. Its too big a change to decide on it by themselves, and not doing so strongly suggest that it was a command from higher up, which of course comes down to the speculation that the decision was purely financially considered.
2-3. They should have explored the full scale of changes this system would bring to the game. Not just in their game system, but on a social and community aspect as well. They should have weighted the pros and cons without bias to their progress with their idea so far. They should have seen the risk-benefit-loss ratio and decide about the viability of the project before more work was done on it.
4. They should have realized by the time the actual problems begin to pop up that the megaservers are not compatible with their existing system on too many levels.
5. When you release an experimental system, you experiment on a separate area. Invite players to try it out with your fancy marketing and PR talk. Not roll it out on the full game so that every single player feels like a beta tester once again the moment they log in.
6. They should have considered the ratio of their available attention to feedback and the scope of the change, especially considering that the whole populace of the game is effected.

As an additional note, there is a whole lot of other things that could have been improved in a feature patch. There is an actual list that the players wrote with 150+ well fought out suggestions. Other than that, the core game itself is still suffering from a lack of polishing. Point of this additional note is that there were better places to turn this programming effort toward.

(edited by lakdav.3694)

Posted by: pessimist.7294

pessimist.7294

Im a bit of a noob here… You are all moaning that you cant farm like you used to but doesnt that mean that there is less supply and more demand? Meaning that for the ore you do sell you get more for it? :s fairly sure this is basic economics… unless people just farm the nodes for the laugh.

Yes but in the end only the goldfarmers will profit of this. While normal player need much more time now and effort to gather the ressources the goldsellers will get more gold for the same work because the bots will simply run every node on the map. Prices may rise a little bit but then will remain steady.

Posted by: CeNedro.7560

CeNedro.7560

We should be able to select the megaserver we want to be on(esc-select megaserver-megaserver xyz). Balthasar is f.e. bugged since hours atm and I wish I could simply change server to get to a non-bugged copy of the map…(other examples would be: rude mapchat; temple not contested anymore once I’ve entered the map; dungeon entrance contested; …).

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

Are you at all familiar with how nodes spawn

I’d like to know your understanding of how nodes spawn.

I wrote a small book and a site relog error ate it………..DOH!

Short version: Nodes only move location when maps / zones are fully recreated.

• Maps are no longer valid (destoryed) at some point after the last player leaves it.
  • Maps are created when the first player tries to enter a zone that needs a new map (now determined by the MS system).

Note that the only time the above MUST happen is when new code is released as it appears no players with different code bases can both exist in the same map (which makes perfect sense).

The only way (that I’m aware of) to tell what server you are currently on is typing ‘/ip’ in chat (returns the server IP address you are currently on). You can rezone to try and FIND a specific IP address. TIP: You can rezone at you location by entering a WvW area and then exiting WvW via the WvW menu (lower right hand corner).

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

(edited by Brother Grimm.5176)

Posted by: Madminds.1723

Madminds.1723

Okay, i would prefer that this topic is not merge with the Megaserver discussions since this is more guild related.
As leader of a newly started guild we have noticed a lot of people without guilds, and of course thats good since it give us a chance to get members, but with the change to the Megaservers we noticed we get people from different servers and this makes problems with influence, since members on other servers get influence on the their homeworld and also they dont have access to our upgrades since thats on our homeworld. Would really like to get some attention to this since it can be a big problem especially for us starting up as a new guild.

Mad Minds out..

Posted by: Gunsnroll.2657

Gunsnroll.2657

Because worlds no longer separate players, we’ll eventually make sure that guilds are no longer separated either, that every guild member will be contributing to and benefitting from the same unified guild chapter

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/the-megaserver-system-guilds-and-the-future/

Posted by: BIG bad Bull.5690

BIG bad Bull.5690

Because worlds no longer separate players, we’ll eventually make sure that guilds are no longer separated either, that every guild member will be contributing to and benefitting from the same unified guild chapter. Until this system is in place, your home-world guild chapter will continue to be the chapter where any influence your character earns is sent and is the chapter visible to you in the guild panel.Because worlds no longer separate players, we’ll eventually make sure that guilds are no longer separated either, that every guild member will be contributing to and benefitting from the same unified guild chapter

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/the-megaserver-system-guilds-and-the-future/

Because worlds no longer separate players, we’ll eventually make sure that guilds are no longer separated either, that every guild member will be contributing to and benefitting from the same unified guild chapter. Until this system is in place, your home-world guild chapter will continue to be the chapter where any influence your character earns is sent and is the chapter visible to you in the guild panel.

from that promise i’ve seen nothing.
Since the MS update i’ve only been able to play less with the people i want to.

Sorry Anet but each Day ESO becomes more and more appealing.

Posted by: Cactus Brawler.7415

Cactus Brawler.7415

Whomever decided it was a perfectly good idea to roll a game changing system like this out, just before they were due to go on vacation. Should be demoted.

Whomever decided the above was okay, and it was also okay to do so before they abandoned their office to go to another country for weeks, needs sacking.