[Merged] Ascended Armor Impressions

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

Not necessarily. A bunch of it can be gathered by pressing F repeatedly too.

You can ridicule all you want but it remains humorous to me that those who are most vocal about the ‘only press 1 to win’ are the ones who religiously preach the necessity of only one stat combination, trait spread and even skill rotation. Somehow, that feels contradictory to me.

So how can I get dragonite ores if not by pressing 1? And for whole armour you will need 3000 ores. That’s 100 boring temple events.

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

I was going to say how WvW was going to become hell with this +Trinkets+Weapons+Bloodlust but then I remembered WvW is the disowned child of Guildwars2.

I ? Karkas.

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

Ascended gear is meant to ease the majority of players into the grinding mindset, with extra stats as a good incentive to grind.

Also, it is easier to develop filler “content” that takes up some long arbitrary amount of hours versus new fun content that takes the same amount of hours.

That’s precisely it. It’s so, so, so much easier and they do need to keep people playing. The time gating and huge amounts of materials makes it abundantly clear that this is here to keep people logging in and playing to get mats to craft their equipment. When people are more or less done with a set of ascended weapons they’ll release ascended armor, then ascended back pieces and jewels (because most people truly interested in Ascended equipment probably already have those for their mains).

The fact that there is only a single set of ascended skins (and it’s a pretty horrible set of skins, IMO) requiring us to transmute our Exotic or Rare skins back over them also supports this.

I’ll make a full set of ascended equipment for my Thief but that’s about it for now, I think. Exotics are more than enough for this game. WvW roaming being the only possible exception and, practically speaking, I think it’ll only very rarely make an actual difference there.

I’ll be interested to see what they do next year to keep people logging in. Probably, about February or March they’ll add ascended equipment to dungeon and WvW vendors (but that’ll probably come a couple of months later because, you know, it’s really hard to update a vendor’s inventory) for huge amounts of tokens and gold and ectos. And your lunch money.

And your new bike.

Posted by: papryk.6273

papryk.6273

it looks regal and royal and elegant. .

looking like Gonzo the clown is elegant and royal? rly? xD

Yes. Their style resembles more traditional European balls, such as the carnivals in Venice for example. Things which happen still today as a cultural celebration, just because it’s not a part of your culture doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.

oh yes please tell me where I said that something is not existing? I like when somebody over interpret things that ppl said… Please tell me more…
and sry bud but this looks more like :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jester

Posted by: Evans.6347

Evans.6347

Not necessarily. A bunch of it can be gathered by pressing F repeatedly too.

You can ridicule all you want but it remains humorous to me that those who are most vocal about the ‘only press 1 to win’ are the ones who religiously preach the necessity of only one stat combination, trait spread and even skill rotation. Somehow, that feels contradictory to me.

So how can I get dragonite ores if not by pressing 1? And for whole armour you will need 3000 ores. That’s 100 boring temple events.

I’m sorry but I find such comment distasteful.
Nobody is at any point forcing you to stand there and press 1. That is your own choice.

Yes, you can do it, while being carried by others in a group. But hey, maybe you could make the whole “ordeal” a little more interesting for yourself and others by using you whole spectrum of skills.

Bah, why am I arguing this anyway. I you want to complain about your self imposed boredom, go on ahead. That’s what a forum is for after all.

Joy to the world, ignorance is bliss

Posted by: Samuraizp.3896

Samuraizp.3896

I have a dream im craft epic armor ..
http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Archadian_Judges?file=Archadian_Judges.jpg
then i woke up .

Evans.6347

I have a dream im craft epic armor ..
http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Archadian_Judges?file=Archadian_Judges.jpg
then i woke up .

Ah yes, the mussel-head judge. Epic, no doubt.
The dream of any gastropod.

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

WORST…looking…armor…ever…
I really have never seen in any other MMO such ugly armors.
srsly…anet please change the armor designer.

Then you haven’t played very many MMOs

Posted by: Traveller.7496

Traveller.7496

With all the resources, GW1 armor styles to draw on and epic concept art, THIS is what they came up with? The light armor for my sylvari looks just … ugh. Like a bad reskin of the Vigil armor.

And what bothers me the most? It says in the preview that these armors were made in the style of famous Luxon and Kurzick armourers. That’s an insult to both factions! They look nothing like those famous sets!

Pifil.5193

Nobody is at any point forcing you to stand there and press 1. That is your own choice.

You don’t have to press one anyway. You can just turn on auto-attack.

It’s funny but I enjoy those events a lot, but then I move and I use my skills to support during those fights and being a Shadowstepping, Shadow Refuge, ninja-resser is very satisfying for me (my record is 5 people with one Shadow Refuge at Dwayna, it would have been six or more but some people don’t seem to know to stop auto-attacking when they’re being stealthed).

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Probably just a matter of them having ascended everything else already so… armor time.

this is why im bringing it up. this is the last chance before they put this into the game and after this is updated theres no going back. Anet will not take it out and its all too sad that people are fine with it. I dont understand how. Can you imagine the grind it will take to get the pieces. If anet makes the whole set one craft then i wouldnt mind it and that would be at least a compromise. But if they make every single piece a separate time gated craft it will really suck.

Last chance? No. It’s already too late.

As for those who are arguing that Ascended gear is necessary for fractals (because of AR), Anet could easily have added infusion slots to Exotic gear. Fractals and AR were merely a (very flimsy) excuse for introducing the Ascended gear grind.

haviz.1340

Yes, you can do it, while being carried by others in a group. But hey, maybe you could make the whole “ordeal” a little more interesting for yourself and others by using you whole spectrum of skills.

Bah, why am I arguing this anyway. I you want to complain about your self imposed boredom, go on ahead. That’s what a forum is for after all.

I find those events distasteful. You are in a zerg of 100 players wearing cleric’s, shaman’s or any other bad gear. Using more skills doesn’t make it more interesting because you’re basically attacking a dummy.

And I’m actually doing more damage than other zerglings by spamming 1. Not to mention that guardian with a sword or warrior with an axe actually deals the most damage by using only autoattacks.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

The male human looks nice. Unfortunately I don’t have a male human. I have a male Sylvari and the poofiness bug hits hard, as usual.

Attachments:

Posted by: Molch.2078

Molch.2078

Well, can’t argue about taste. I like them.

Attachments:

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

We have real dungeon master here.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

Posted by: nicknamenick.2437

nicknamenick.2437

Show helm on Charr pls.. omg i think it looks terrible (again..)

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

Heavy armor, especially head, leg pieces and boots look nice. Rest – meh

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

haviz.1340

We have real dungeon master here.

You definitely should check http://gw2dungeons.net! Especially arah part, high quality and you might learn something new.

Evans.6347

I find those events distasteful. You are in a zerg of 100 players wearing cleric’s, shaman’s or any other bad gear. Using more skills doesn’t make it more interesting because you’re basically attacking a dummy.

And I’m actually doing more damage than other zerglings by spamming 1. Not to mention that guardian with a sword or warrior with an axe actually deals the most damage by using only autoattacks.

I don’t expect anything less Haviz, I’m certain you are doing more damage than the others. But can you justify calling something mindless when getting to that point requires a bunch of min-maxing and experience?

Everything can be trivialised, that doesn’t mean that it inherently is.

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

You know, TC, you raise an excellent question. I’d actually love to see a developer justify ascended armor after they told us ascended weapons were only being added to “bridge the game between exotic and Legendary”. If there’s no Legendary armor, then what gap is there to be bridged? I actually find that rather insulting.

Which of the following statements do you guys find to be the most insulting?

“ascended gear is to be a bridge between exotic and Legendary”

“everyone, including casual players, should have the best statistical gear by the time they reach level 80”

“we didn’t expect players to get exotic so quickly” + “we intended to add ascended gear from the start”

“we want everyone to be on an equal power base”

“we don’t make grindy games, we leave the grind to other MMOs”

“we don’t have to add content to keep players playing as long as possible” + “we can focus on what’s fun”

“in this game, the grind is all about cosmetic upgrades, vertical progression”

Posted by: Delryn.7235

Delryn.7235

I’ve noticed my issue with heavy, out of the heavy armor the only part I really disliked was the boots.

The whole armor looks fantastic in it’s bulk, makes you look like a royal knight but the boots just make the outfit look like a shapeless mess. Boots need to be smaller/thinner.

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

Question: How do we know this is Ascended armour? For all we know, it could be one model of Legendary armour.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: Draco.2806

Draco.2806

Aah the hypocrisy!..

I think you have trouble understanding that this forum is frequented by more than one person.

“everyone, including casual players, should have the best statistical gear by the time they reach level 80”

“we didn’t expect players to get exotic so quickly” + “we intended to add ascended gear from the start”

“we don’t have to add content to keep players playing as long as possible” + “we can focus on what’s fun”

“We’ve always been at war with Eastasia.”

haviz.1340

But can you justify calling something mindless when getting to that point requires a bunch of min-maxing and experience?

Problem with this reasoning is that I press alt-tab. You don’t have to be experienced to do it.

Evans.6347

Aah the hypocrisy!..

I think you have trouble understanding that this forum is frequented by more than one person.

I was wondering why my conversations never sound coherent… ¬¬

Thanks for your contribution.

Posted by: GSSBlunaspike.4153

GSSBlunaspike.4153

Show helm on Charr pls.. omg i think it looks terrible (again..)

There you go

Yes half of the face sticks out. It looks like it’s just sort of stuck on there. The shoulders are colored midnight ice because I was looking at different colors. The back, ugh more of my tail jutting out of the armor. The metal “bends” around my tail. Of course there is also the typical floating parts that don’t fit the body.

Attachments:

(edited by GSSBlunaspike.4153)

Evans.6347

That dye makes it look like it’s made out of paper.
Also, as a general remark, there are other dyes than black and white. I’m starting to think many people don’t know this.

GSSBlunaspike.4153

Also, as a general remark, there are other dyes than black and white. I’m starting to think many people don’t know this.

True, but I think black and white shows off the contrast for the parts that can be dyed really well. If you have another color for the charr set I can take it real quick and post it.

It does cover up the clipping. The chest clips through the shoulders pretty awkwardly. Plus the stretched textures just look so bad. Considering this is supposed to be the “best” armor, it doesn’t look very good.

Posted by: MikaHR.1978

MikaHR.1978

Its a subtle message from ANet to their payerbase.

Colin Johanson: “Everyone, including casual gamers, by level 80 should have the
best statistical loot in the game. We want everyone on an equal power base.”

Posted by: Hammerguard.9834

Hammerguard.9834

Atleast all the armor has holes for the tails on charr, so there’s that… :/

… I still want tengu.

Posted by: Lolindir.3518

Lolindir.3518

Any ascended weapon/armor I’ve seen so far is just horrible, what happened to the art design team?

Posted by: Hammerguard.9834

Hammerguard.9834

Someone’s delusional…

… I still want tengu.

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

Just like you said, they don’t care about Charr. It’s all probably made on a human base skeleton and shmucked on a Charr after because they’re forced to do it.

They care enough about Charr to sell wigs in the cash shop. They just don’t care about floating armour etc. because they can’t make money from it.

Posted by: Draco.2806

Draco.2806

Yeah, but thanks to the horrible lighting and shading in most areas of the game, they all suck.

Pifil.5193

True, but I think black and white shows off the contrast for the parts that can be dyed really well. If you have another color for the charr set I can take it real quick and post it.

It does cover up the clipping. The chests clips through the shoulders pretty awkwardly. Plus the stretched textures just look so bad. Considering this is supposed to be the “best” armor, it doesn’t look very good.

Assuming you’re still around, could you use something like black white red blue? Not because it’s a nice colour scheme but so we can see the four areas (assuming there are four dyeable areas)

I’m hoping the worst of the clipping will be fixed before these release. Well, I’m hoping but I’m not too hopeful.

Posted by: Gathslan.1870

Gathslan.1870

Very nice looking armor! WOW!
Better than i was expecting xD not over the top at all! Good job Anet!

On another note what is the female sets like? I am not at home so cannot log in and check

Posted by: Gathslan.1870

Gathslan.1870

The armor looks amazing so far but the screenshot dye combinations are horrible that are shown here XD

Evans.6347

It does cover up the clipping. The chest clips through the shoulders pretty awkwardly. Plus the stretched textures just look so bad. Considering this is supposed to be the “best” armor, it doesn’t look very good.

In the spirit of the real life suits this armor was based on, at the very least use illumination dye on the ornate metallic parts and perhaps burgundy or emerald dye on the cloth parts.

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

I was going to say how WvW was going to become hell with this +Trinkets+Weapons+Bloodlust but then I remembered WvW is the disowned child of Guildwars2.

I don’t quite get why does everyone complain this stuff ruins WvW’s balance when the game mode was never and will never be balanced in the first place. Just the difference in numbers screws the balance, when your squad of 10 gets ambushed by a 50-man enemy army, no Ascended items or bloodlust is going to save you.

Xae Isareth.1364

You see, this is the problem. People rant about world events being spamming 1 and akitteng, then release a world event which requires co-ordination and strategy like Tequatl, and everyone calls for a nerf.

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

i always suspected the designer has a fetish for creepy crawlies.

now, i confirmed it.

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

Lol. Anet… I like how you always (read as never) tell the truth

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

Posted by: Vyko.6953

Vyko.6953

yuuuuck, i have a job for my transmutation crystals

#ELEtism

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

Lol. I’d rather do cof p1 for a month than farm ascended seriously.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

GSSBlunaspike.4153

In the spirit of the real life suits this armor was based on, at the very least use illumination dye on the ornate metallic parts and perhaps burgundy or emerald dye on the cloth parts.

There you go illumination. The problem is that the dye doesn’t work like that on the armor. The leg plates are all one color. It makes the outer part really shiny, and in between kind of an off color.

edit added black white red blue in that order.

Attachments:

haviz.1340

You see, this is the problem. People rant about world events being spamming 1 and akitteng, then release a world event which requires co-ordination and strategy like Tequatl, and everyone calls for a nerf.

The problem you face here is that those are different people.

Evans.6347

The problem is that the dye doesn’t work like that on the armor. The leg plates are all one color. It makes the outer part really shiny, and in between kind of an off color.

Wait what? That’s a horrible design choice =/
And that still looks horribly cheap xD

Posted by: hugemistake.5317

hugemistake.5317

Hahaha ! Thanks OP i seriously lol’d when i saw the picture

Xae Isareth.1364

Lol. I’d rather do cof p1 for a month than farm ascended seriously.

I don’t think I’ve ever grinded Ascended stuff and currently my banks overflown with them to the extent I needed to stack them on alts. The game chucks ascended mats at you for doing anything other than afk at LA or sPvP.

What I do find frustrating however, is the crafting requirement. It’s a uphill climb to 500 DIYing on your own, it should cap at 420 or something.

Posted by: Scar.1793

Scar.1793

You know, TC, you raise an excellent question. I’d actually love to see a developer justify ascended armor after they told us ascended weapons were only being added to “bridge the game between exotic and Legendary”. If there’s no Legendary armor, then what gap is there to be bridged? I actually find that rather insulting.

I wonder if they really take the time to sit and actually think about the updates. I mean look at GW1 : more skills, more builds freedom, you were grinding for SKINS not for stats. This game will soon be like a WoW 2 if Devs keep going that way with the gears.
We want FUN content, not grinding stuff, it’s boring and takes player away from Guild Wars 2 simply because there are games that are full of fun and not grind (GTA games, Saints Row, Left 4 Dead, and lot lot more).