The Cantha Thread [Merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: larv.3456

larv.3456

Please dear A-net bring back Cantha. Or hint some info from it. Canthan New Year is still up in GW1!

Posted by: Korvenraivaaja.2691

Korvenraivaaja.2691

Nothing i want more than to go explore Shing Jea Island again, favourite place in GW1 by far, and cant wait to see what has happened to the Jade Sea and the Echovald Forest or Kaineing City in general. Please! It would be crime if it didin’t come to GW2, Factions was by far my favourite in GW1 that i still play.

Posted by: Mouhappai.5406

Mouhappai.5406

Happy Lunar Festival fellas, yesterday was the Canthan New Year and the holiday will last till the 14th Feb, I think. 24 year old people, this year belongs specially to you, the year of the horse.

Posted by: Mewreon.8649

Mewreon.8649

If they don’t bring Cantha back, I don’t know what I am going to do with my guild, Eternal Defenders of Cantha.

Posted by: Buttercup.5871

Buttercup.5871

Cantha is beautiful. Make a portal to guild wars 1 for all we care. Copy and paste it in. You don’t even have to improve the graphics. Cantha adds depth. We miss it.

Posted by: Shanna.4762

Shanna.4762

Cantha is beautiful. Make a portal to guild wars 1 for all we care. Copy and paste it in. You don’t even have to improve the graphics. Cantha adds depth. We miss it.

LOL. We do indeed.

Posted by: Chaos.3597

Chaos.3597

Cantha is a big part of the GW1 lore. What is the reason to neglect and literally forget about SO kitten GOOD content, with outrageous history, design and gameplay? For me, they could just copy-paste it to GW2. My moniez is waiting.

Posted by: Savoy.6824

Savoy.6824

So, when are we getting Cantha

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once – Nietzsche

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

So, about a year ago or more, they said something along the lines “Keep asking and you’ll get it”, a year later, still nothing and I doubt that they’re making an expansions as a background project.
If they were to start making it tomorrow, we would most likely see it only in 2016, so year, thanks Arena Net…

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

So, about a year ago or more, they said something along the lines “Keep asking and you’ll get it”, a year later, still nothing and I doubt that they’re making an expansions as a background project.
If they were to start making it tomorrow, we would most likely see it only in 2016, so year, thanks Arena Net…

They have officially stated that they are actively working on an expansion at the moment. They just aren’t sure what form they will release it in – aka like a traditional expansion, gem store purchase, free, content released over time etc.

Posted by: Talyn.3295

Talyn.3295

I still hold out hope that sooner or later we are going to see the places we loved to explore in Guild wars 1. Yet at the same time I don’t know if I can wait it out long enough to find out

“We have now left Reason and Sanity Junction. Next stop, Looneyville.”

larv.3456

Maybe after china release we know more aprox may-apr.

Nick.6972

They have officially stated that they are actively working on an expansion at the moment. They just aren’t sure what form they will release it in – aka like a traditional expansion, gem store purchase, free, content released over time etc.

Official statement? Where?

Posted by: stemuulen.7149

stemuulen.7149

Increase level cap-Add new regions-Secondary professions to make it up to the people who have max amount of characters already/dont want to start all the way over-New races (Although I would be fine without them). Basically new regions are places to expand already-maxxed characters to higher levels and they have separate map completion etc.

Posted by: Rangersix.1754

Rangersix.1754

Why do some people want an increased levelcap? It’s not like levels 10 to 70 were almost any different from getting skillpoints at level 80.

No, what we need is a reduced levelcap.

FlamingFoxx.1305

Official statement? Where?

Here:

“We have a couple of really big Guild Wars projects cooking in the background,” Johanson told me.

Later, he added: "Some of our players believe that because we are doing this Living World seasons, and these features or these big feature-builds, that it means that the features you would traditionally get in an expansion, or the content you would traditionally get in an expansion, is not something that will get added to Guild Wars 2. And that is not true at all.

“Not only are we doing those things, new features and content you would traditionally get from a boxed expansion are also things that will be added to Guild Wars 2.

“The thing that we haven’t decided yet,” he went on, "is what form that type of content will take. Is it right for Guild Wars 2 for that kind of boxed expansion? Is it right for that to be something we add, live, through storylines in the game? Is that something we want to sell through our in-game store? There are a lot of different options available to us.

“… but we absolutely are going to do sweeping new features that you would traditionally only get in expansions – large regions, content and progression additions to your characters in the form of growth and professions and races. Those are all things that you will see in the lifespan of Guild Wars 2.”

Mike Zadorojny, clarifying his comments from last year – which suggested there wouldn’t be an expansion any time soon – said: “The answer I gave you [in 2013] was that nothing was off the table.”

Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-01-14-you-thought-that-was-it-for-guild-wars-2

(edited by FlamingFoxx.1305)

Posted by: psyt.9415

psyt.9415

Two patches into the “exciting changes” mentioned in that interview. If some sort of hint towards Cantha is in the last one i’d kitten my pants

Posted by: Herschie.6380

Herschie.6380

I want Cantha back.

Midian Wright [Guardian]
[Maki]
Ferguson’s Crossing

Posted by: Arnekun.6170

Arnekun.6170

I’m disappointed with the Queen’s Pavilion thing after the Canthan district was scrapped. The poor street kid human storyline had that girl whose family lived there when it was the Canthan-themed arts district and there was even footage of the place in all its Asian-ness during development, then ANet had to scrap it and collapse it before release because of cultural drama, but the girl in the storyline still made it sound like there was some special mystery behind the collapse which made me think that they were going to actually do something significant with it. But nope they found nothing interesting at the bottom, didn’t give any special reasons for why it happened, and just renovated it into a little battle arena place for the greedy Queen to glorify herself lol. That’s lame.

Posted by: KOPPER.1458

KOPPER.1458

There is a Captain in LA Bar who is from cantha. Has a different human face as well. Very nice looking.

Posted by: ultimaseph.5640

ultimaseph.5640

There is a Captain in LA Bar who is from cantha. Has a different human face as well. Very nice looking.

dude. you can even create this face on character creation.

Posted by: firewhistler.9703

firewhistler.9703

Totally supporting this thread!
I seriously miss Cantha and would love to see how it looks in the current setting of Guild Wars.
I could however imagine and live well with getting Elona first, as it is after all closer to Tyria than Cantha.
Also, Elona is awesome.

But I’m getting sidetracked. So yes, please, Cantha.

Posted by: Tyleril.7849

Tyleril.7849

While I’m not a presence in the forums here I saw a screenshot of the Canthan district become it become the great sinkhole. Cantha and ELona were my two most favorite places in GW with Cantha having the best memories for me. I loved the looks, the cities, and despite many a rage filled quest, a lot of the NPCs there as well. I would LOVE to have Cantha back in GW2.

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

The green/koda section of eotm looks a lot like shing ji island.

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

it has been more than a year since the official release, hopefully we will get to see cantha and elona soon.

echolad forest, jade sea, etc.

Nick.6972

I wonder how many posts do we need to get Arena Net’s attention?

Posted by: Naqaj.6219

Naqaj.6219

I wonder how many posts do we need to get Arena Net’s attention?

None. They know players want more regions, they know we want Cantha and Elona. Players always want more.

Posted by: Inimicus.7162

Inimicus.7162

Bring on Ultima Online housing!

Absolutely. No. Chance. In. Hell.

Last thing we need is an entire continent littered with keeps and castles no one flippin uses like whatever that ice-island was up north. Sooner or later your game world is gone and ‘eaten’ by the projects, Tokyo style.

Just saying: do you remember kaineng city? 99% of it looked like some cobbled together super highrise slum… while it had its own epic places, “eaten by the projects” came 250 years ago

Posted by: ZilentNight.5089

ZilentNight.5089

Cantha > Dragons > Scarlett
Enough said!

larv.3456

Or a little portion like Shing Jea island, or more;)

Posted by: Austin Reeves.7408

Austin Reeves.7408

I loved Cantha in GW and just assumed that, because of its scale and memorability, it would be an expansion in GW2. I mean, it wasn’t even a question in my mind, like, “Yeah, I can’t wait until Cantha comes back!” I would really, really, really like to see a Cantha expansion.

Posted by: citsongamai.2908

citsongamai.2908

Add another plea for Cantha/Elona to the list. I also have always thought it would be a given that first they would release Tyria and then eventually would expand to Cantha/Elona. It just feels right….

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

So… what is the smallest piece of Cantha that would scratch that itch?

A bit of real estate to explore? Larger than a bread-box/fractal?

Do we need armor for it to “really be Cantha”?

All level 80 or new leveling path?

Separate campaign/personal story or just a visit?

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: Zera Allimatti.2541

Zera Allimatti.2541

You have to keep in mind that Cantha is currently closed off from the world. The emperor closed off her borders to outsiders and has her people united under an iron fist. He destroyed the Luxons and Kurzicks. The way ArenaNet has it set up, there is no reason to go to Cantha. I personally hate that, but that is how they have it set up right now. The was emperor extremely xenophobic. He banished all non-human races from his empire, which is why the tengu are where they are now. I doubt his descendants would openly welcome Charr, Norn, Asura, Sylvari, or anyone non-human.

Besides, the way to Cantha is blocked by Bubbles. We’d have to destroy or go around Bubbles. Even if we succeeded in that, Cantha would probably repel us as invaders. I kind of do like the idea of invading Cantha and saving her from tyranny, but maybe the Canthans don’t feel like they are being ruled by tyranny. Maybe they have come to accept the way things are as their culture. We’d become the bad guys by going in there and trying to change their way of life.

The only way for us to get back Cantha the way we had it in GW1 would be to have the writers make it so that Cantha is trapped by Bubbles, where Bubbles’ minions are constantly assaulting Cantha. Then we would go to destroy Bubbles. Once we do, we will have saved Cantha and her emperor can welcome us to her shores, human and non-human alike.

Give us more GW 1 weapon and armor skins, please. COPY/PASTE ALREADY!!!!

FlamingFoxx.1305

Actually there is no reason we can’t sail directly to Cantha. Elona has never been used as an inbetween point for travel between Cantha and Tyria. Lions Arch and Kaineng used to have trade ships going between them.

As to needing to beat bubbles first – not necessarily, the ocean is a MASSIVE place, bubbles can’t be everywhere at once. Not to mention there’s always the possibility of Air travel using the pact’s airships.

Posted by: frans.8092

frans.8092

The green/koda section of eotm looks a lot like shing ji island.

^this.

Koda architecture is very similar to Canthan, it seems unlikely they will also use it fro anything Cantha related. Chances are there will never be a Cantha in GW2.

larv.3456

Maybe no! A-net send us hints pls:)

Posted by: Elric.6971

Elric.6971

So… what is the smallest piece of Cantha that would scratch that itch?

A bit of real estate to explore? Larger than a bread-box/fractal?

Do we need armor for it to “really be Cantha”?

All level 80 or new leveling path?

Separate campaign/personal story or just a visit?

Having been playing GW1 again, I can say Shing Jea Island and Istan are honestly large enough pieces of real estate that you can hold plenty of mini-expansion content within them. Especially when you factor in the new, 3D elements of the game that allows for greater vertical travel and underwater traversing.

Posted by: Mikuchan.7261

Mikuchan.7261

About Cantha being xenophobic.
Yes they were, but the Zephyr Sanctum has been to Cantha and have traded with them numerous times.
The Zephyr Sanctum and the structures in Labyrinthine Cliffs are also influenced by the architecture in Kaineng City.
But the main point… Zephyrites were from the start mainly only carrying humans from Cantha and Elona. But later on they have taken aboard all races, no?
If that’s the case, then that would be a sign that Cantha would be less xenophobic and more open nowadays since the Zephyrites are allowed to trade with them.

But I’m not sure if I have all the Zephyr facts straight.

Posted by: Obsidian.1328

Obsidian.1328

“We have a couple of really big Guild Wars projects cooking in the background,” Johanson told me.

Later, he added: "Some of our players believe that because we are doing this Living World seasons, and these features or these big feature-builds, that it means that the features you would traditionally get in an expansion, or the content you would traditionally get in an expansion, is not something that will get added to Guild Wars 2. And that is not true at all.

“Not only are we doing those things, new features and content you would traditionally get from a boxed expansion are also things that will be added to Guild Wars 2.

“The thing that we haven’t decided yet,” he went on, "is what form that type of content will take. Is it right for Guild Wars 2 for that kind of boxed expansion? Is it right for that to be something we add, live, through storylines in the game? Is that something we want to sell through our in-game store? There are a lot of different options available to us.

“… but we absolutely are going to do sweeping new features that you would traditionally only get in expansions – large regions, content and progression additions to your characters in the form of growth and professions and races. Those are all things that you will see in the lifespan of Guild Wars 2.”

Mike Zadorojny, clarifying his comments from last year – which suggested there wouldn’t be an expansion any time soon – said: “The answer I gave you [in 2013] was that nothing was off the table.”

Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-01-14-you-thought-that-was-it-for-guild-wars-2

No where in that quote are they saying they are working on an expansion. It says they will implement stuff that you would normally get from a traditional expansion. Most likely doled out in tiny increments connected to the LS like they do now.

For instance, ANet once said(before rescinding on the remark after players got all ragey) that the Flame and Frost storyline was an “expansions worth” of content. ANet’s idea of the size of expansions and everyone else’s idea of that must be different I suppose…

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

Posted by: Candy.6835

Candy.6835

Cantha was my favorite place in gw1 and if it wasn’t for the fact that most sellers hung out at Elona I would have spent most of my time there.

I would LOVE to see Cantha return to us in GW2. I’ve read that they don’t want which is frustrating and sad for us who love the whole area and style.

FlamingFoxx.1305

Obsidian, the devs have kind of clarified regarding Flame and Frost that marketing MADE them use that term and that they personally wouldn’t have described it that way. So when Colin NOW says that they’re working on an expansions worth of content – he actually means it.

If it was simply more living story type content then the statement would read differently because we know how that content is developed and we know the team cycle for it – but they definitely have people working on something else.

Posted by: Obsidian.1328

Obsidian.1328

Foxx

You give them waaaaaay too much credit.

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

larv.3456

We still waiting for what will happens after Gw2 China release, we get exp. or not.

Posted by: Sylv.5324

Sylv.5324

I see NPC saying Cantha is impossible to travel because they have a Civil Wars right now, and the travel is very dangerous.

Sounds like a challenge to me!

With great risk comes great reward. <3

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

I want my gothic axe, and my gotic sword, my spiked targe and kanaxai
’s axe.
But I would not mind stopping in Elona before going to Cantha btw

larv.3456

We know in 1127 AE Emperor Usoku defeats the Kurzicks and the Luxons . Now is 1327 AE who is the new Emperor?

FlamingFoxx.1305

We know in 1127 AE Emperor Usoku defeats the Kurzicks and the Luxons . Now is 1327 AE who is the new Emperor?

We don’t know, communication with Cantha was cut off after Zhaitan’s rise – so we don’t know anything about their history since then.

Posted by: Pip.2094

Pip.2094

Oh please give us Cantha, we badly need new maps and something different to roam into! It would be like fresh air to be there instead of being in some very-likely-necessarely-close-to-other-existing-maps enviroments…I mean, it’s not that you can add a new chunk of Kryta and make it look like a sandy desert..right? o.o

\||||||/
O°v°O

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

befoe they add cantha, they should first complete Tyria..

theres way too much left open of Tyria…

• The whole Maguuma Jungle
  • The whole Crystal Desert
  • The whole Fire Ring Islands
  • The whole North of Shiverpeaks and all of the old EotN Map Parts
  • The whole Deldrimor Territory
  • The Dominion of Winds and the whole Sea of Sorrows/Strait of Malchior Area

Tyria just feels again, like in GW1, as if just only like basically 40% of the whole Continent is explorable.

So Tyria > Cantha for now first.

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside