More daily - are you kidding me ?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

A thousand times this. I fully support limiting the earnable daily AP, and have for quite a while now.

But why? Because you can’t control yourself without a cap? Because you can’t compete against other people that have more time and dedication to go beyond what you are able to complete?

I just don’t understand how it affects you or anyone else how much AP you can get in a day. Infinite, 5AP, who cares, how does it affect you? If you are competing for AP leader boards then it is assumed by literally everyone that you need to be able to play all the time. It sounds like you guys want to be competitive on the leader boards, but not want to have to dedicate all of your time to it. It doesn’t work like that in any competitive atmosphere, so why would they cap it here?

Plus if they did cap it, how would anyone ever be able to move up or down on the leader boards? Assuming the #1 guy did the maximum allowable daily AP and everyone else on the boards did it as well, what would even be the point? You’d have to hope someone above you missed a day or something.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Hellmasker.1649

Hellmasker.1649

A thousand times this. I fully support limiting the earnable daily AP, and have for quite a while now.

But why? Because you can’t control yourself without a cap? Because you can’t compete against other people that have more time and dedication to go beyond what you are able to complete?

I just don’t understand how it affects you or anyone else how much AP you can get in a day. Infinite, 5AP, who cares, how does it affect you? If you are competing for AP leader boards then it is assumed by literally everyone that you need to be able to play all the time. It sounds like you guys want to be competitive on the leader boards, but not want to have to dedicate all of your time to it. It doesn’t work like that in any competitive atmosphere, so why would they cap it here?

Plus if they did cap it, how would anyone ever be able to move up or down on the leader boards? Assuming the #1 guy did the maximum allowable daily AP and everyone else on the boards did it as well, what would even be the point? You’d have to hope someone above you missed a day or something.

As has been stated in the thread before, it’s a playstyle. It’s a completionist habit. It’s how I want my account to reflect me as a player. One idea put the cap at 8 or 10 points, so that those who did their 5 could get their rewards, and myself and fellow hunters could get our full +8/10. It’s about the leaderboard to an extent, sure, but as the op stated, 4hours just on dailies isn’t a new thing for me either. Should ANet go through with the new dailies, and without putting a cap, I will try to earn all of them every day as best I can, just like I do now, and just like so many of my fellow AP hunters do and will.

REJOICE! Dwayna hath had her mercy on us; her battered and beaten, tired and taxed.
For we have held fast our ground and our loyalty to Tyria each and every day…
And it is time the Six show their blessings. Freedom for ALL doers of great and wondrous things!

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

As has been stated in the thread before, it’s a playstyle. It’s a completionist habit. It’s how I want my account to reflect me as a player. One idea put the cap at 8 or 10 points, so that those who did their 5 could get their rewards, and myself and fellow hunters could get our full +8/10. It’s about the leaderboard to an extent, sure, but as the op stated, 4hours just on dailies isn’t a new thing for me either. Should ANet go through with the new dailies, and without putting a cap, I will try to earn all of them every day as best I can, just like I do now, and just like so many of my fellow AP hunters do and will.

Not all habits are healthy, or right. Even people with OCD can learn to control it, why should a completionist be exempt from learning control? If you don’t want to do it, then simple don’t do it. It’s a choice. If AP means that much to you, its your choice to hunt it.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: coglin.1867

coglin.1867

I can’t believe Devs gonna put another daily in the game…..

Look your leaderboards and look how many points those players are making everyday…

There is a competition to be on top, I spend 4hours per day to do all daily, this is boring and sux, but I want to do because I want to do more points that other players, this is enough , don’t put more daily at the game before you remove some others.

Sorry if you don’t agree, but I’m doing all daily past 5months and I’m still on 516rank. So I know what it is do all daily everyday, do living world and try to get some time to have fun.

PLZ, don’t put more daily at the GAME, PLZ!!!

ps: sorry about my english. English isn’t my main language.

So you ranting about how much time you invest into entirely optional ??

A video on what weak PvPer’s and WvWer’s want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3em9s5I4c

Posted by: Vargamonth.2047

Vargamonth.2047

The last Zenith weapon skin will be unlocked at 28k achievement points and, taking into account how small the target playerbase would be and how they could place it on the gemstore (or even better, in BL chests :P) for greater profit, I don’t really expect a new set after that mark.
I don’t know either if there’s any plan on releasing the remaining pieces of Radiant/Hellfire. Taking a look at some other incomplete sets, like the Toxic one on the BLTC, I wouldn’t be surprised if not.

If we reach a point were achievement rewards are about some minor amounts of gold and account boosts, then it might be healthy to just place a daily hard cap at some point (I guess 10k could work) and let the “competition” to revolve around really grindy regular achievements or some LS tricky ones, like “Light up the darkness”, that could be missed.

Hellmasker.1649

^ not entirely against that idea either.
Also I’m really glad there’s so much negativity around something all these non-hunters claim not to care about. -.-

REJOICE! Dwayna hath had her mercy on us; her battered and beaten, tired and taxed.
And it is time the Six show their blessings. Freedom for ALL doers of great and wondrous things!

Draknar.5748

The fact that its a playstyle, if anything, should support no cap. What about those that can do 8-10 dailies within an hour, I know I’ve done it before. If that was what they enjoyed doing, now they get less of it. So, what now, they log off? Maybe play WvW or PvP if they even like to do that? Maybe doing the dailies is what gets them logging in every day.

It seems to me that you want to be able to be competitive, but to reduce the amount of time investment required to remain competitive and/or cap the amount so the really competitive players (top 100) who have the time to pour into AP hunting aren’t able to get so far ahead.

I think the people that we should be surveying are in fact the top 100 on the leader board. If the majority of them want a daily AP cap then it should be considered. If they want it uncapped then leave it as is. The top 100 will essentially never change unless one goes on vacation. They will hit every LS achievement and do every daily possible regardless.

I mean, keeping it uncapped, if anything, benefits everyone because if you really wanted to you could work harder every day and get to the next achievement chest faster. If you burn out you can take it easy, and then get your second wind and grind out dailies for another two weeks to make a dent.

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

As someone from the TOP 100 EU (16.4k AP) I support this. There are too many daily tasks to compete in the leaderboards already.
I optimized my daily routine to do all the dailies in the fewest timeframe possible, but its not very fun.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

As I am one of the Top AP-grinders I really understand those concerns. I can understand why many people shake their head and point their finger at us…
But please guys, all those posts with “if you can’t keep up, then don’t do it”/“the problem lies with you – not with the game”/etc. really don’t help us.
Everybody is different and plays games differently

At the most part we are completionists – it’s our mentality to play games. It’s not that I want to brag about what I have achieved and even look down upon the rest. I am even getting every achievements in SP-games and doing it to 100% – that’s my way of enjoying a game. If I miss something it really gets to me… (to the point of not having fun anymore).

We just want to “cry for help” as it’s too late to change our playstyle – we just ask to ease our load a bit. I really enjoy the game, but as described above – in a way it’s “all or nothing”. I think if I miss too much I might consider leaving the game for good. There are many games on the shelf that want to be played.

So let’s not discuss how you can’t understand us and nobody cares about leaderboards anyways. Please keep the discussion constructive.

We desperatly want to enjoy the game, but with every AP added it becomes more of a chore.
We just want a CAP on daily Achievement-Points – that’s all there is to it and i really think it’s a valid request!

I understand your concern. I’ll expand on what I posted earlier.

Completionism is a niche playstyle, and neither you nor I know how many in that niche want more, and how many want less. For every player who is asking for help over this issue, there are other players complaining that the game doesn’t give them enough to do.

Game development is a business. Developers try to please everyone (though, that’s usually a fool’s errand) because more people playing usually correlates with more money made. MMO gamers in particular are voracious, and developers seem almost desperate to provide “enough” to do to keep the money flowing in the face of the constant demand to provide “more” to “keep players busy.” Achievement points are a symptom of that facet of MMO’s. It’s not something that is going to go away, though you can certainly keep asking.

If playing too much is a problem for you, you are in the same boat as many people who’ve battled non-online addiction. Just as tobacco and alcohol are still being sold, developers are going to keep adding “things to do” to games. I feel for anyone who feels out of control, as I’ve been there. However, asking the makers of the game to exercise control for you is not going to help you in the long run. Only you can control you.

Good luck.

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

I think a cap sounds ideal in theory…although it would be better if it had been implemented from the start. Now, the problem I see is the way it widens the gap between those in the lead and those in the middle, in a system that, because of all the temporary points, already heavily favors those in the lead.

Potential Daily AP is, what, 16 right now? (12 PvE/WvW + 4PvP.) Since the update is adding 4 new ones for PvP, it’ll be going up 25%, to 20AP/day.

If it’s capped at 8 or 10 per day, as some have suggested in this thread, that’ll slow down the rate of achievement gain substantially, to 62.5% (for 10) or even 50% of the current rate. That might sound like a welcome relief to entrenched AP hunters, but it worsens the situation for hopefuls who can only advance on the leaderboard by doing all their dailies while a current leader takes a break, or misses a few, or whatever.

If I missed a week of achievement hunting at the current rate, that puts me 112 AP behind. If it’s capped at 8AP and then one of my competitors misses a week, they’re only down 56AP, meaning that I have to wait for them to skip two full weeks to catch up on the one I missed before the cap. There’s no good way to make the cap retroactive, and I’m sure the outrage would be huge if they tried to reset the AP leaderboards. (See: FotM level reset.)

It doesn’t matter to me, because I’m not personally interested in the daily AP grind, but I’m curious to hear what those who are have to say about the effects of a cap.

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

Hellmasker.1649

The fact that its a playstyle, if anything, should support no cap. What about those that can do 8-10 dailies within an hour, I know I’ve done it before. If that was what they enjoyed doing, now they get less of it. So, what now, they log off? Maybe play WvW or PvP if they even like to do that? Maybe doing the dailies is what gets them logging in every day.

It seems to me that you want to be able to be competitive, but to reduce the amount of time investment required to remain competitive and/or cap the amount so the really competitive players (top 100) who have the time to pour into AP hunting aren’t able to get so far ahead.

I think the people that we should be surveying are in fact the top 100 on the leader board. If the majority of them want a daily AP cap then it should be considered. If they want it uncapped then leave it as is. The top 100 will essentially never change unless one goes on vacation. They will hit every LS achievement and do every daily possible regardless.

I mean, keeping it uncapped, if anything, benefits everyone because if you really wanted to you could work harder every day and get to the next achievement chest faster. If you burn out you can take it easy, and then get your second wind and grind out dailies for another two weeks to make a dent.

Almost all the players that make these threads are in the top 100. I’m #43 in NA right now.
I thought the forums were supposed to be a place of constructive conversation and you among others are remaining quite hostile over something you claim to care little about.
I too can do 8-10 dailies in an hour or less, on certain days, but it’s the remaining annoying ones that take so long. Dungeon completer, story step, fractal, most of the LS dailies. Lots of those take a bit of time and eventually they all add up to more time than they ought to. I do enjoy doing dailies to an extent, and it is what gets me online every day, but if it weren’t for that I would spend a ton more time in dungeons, fractals, and WvW. Hell I might even farm or spend more time in the Living stories than just to do the achievements and/or earn the rewards.
It’s not about making anything more or less competitive, especially if it doesn’t affect or influence you and your fellow non-hunters.

Hellmasker.1649

I think a cap sounds ideal in theory…although it would be better if it had been implemented from the start. Now, the problem I see is the way it widens the gap between those in the lead and those in the middle, in a system that, because of all the temporary points, already heavily favors those in the lead.

Potential Daily AP is, what, 16 right now? (12 PvE/WvW + 4PvP.) Since the update is adding 4 new ones for PvP, it’ll be going up 25%, to 20AP/day.

If it’s capped at 8 or 10 per day, as some have suggested in this thread, that’ll slow down the rate of achievement gain substantially, to 62.5% (for 10) or even 50% of the current rate. That might sound like a welcome relief to entrenched AP hunters, but it worsens the situation for hopefuls who can only advance on the leaderboard by doing all their dailies while a current leader takes a break, or misses a few, or whatever.

If I missed a week of achievement hunting at the current rate, that puts me 112 AP behind. If it’s capped at 8AP and then one of my competitors misses a week, they’re only down 56AP, meaning that I have to wait for them to skip two full weeks to catch up on the one I missed before the cap. There’s no good way to make the cap retroactive, and I’m sure the outrage would be huge if they tried to reset the AP leaderboards. (See: FotM level reset.)

It doesn’t matter to me, because I’m not personally interested in the daily AP grind, but I’m curious to hear what those who are have to say about the effects of a cap.

You have a point, but this would be negated by a cumulative point cap, like the 10k that had already been mentioned. But as far as missing points goes, I’ve missed a slew of dailies, and even a handful of monthlies due to stupid things like server resets, patches, and bugs. A cumulative cap would eventually allow me in a sense to makeup those points, and the leaderboard would really reflect the permanently accessible achieves and living stories in the long run.

Posted by: Pandeh.5248

Pandeh.5248

Please add this daily

" Use no waypoints"
Reward: 10 Achievement Points.

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

Hellmasker – A hard cap would solve the problem, although I think it would probably make some people unhappy, as they would no longer have a reason to do dailies once they hit the cap. As it happens, I just noticed this thread on the suggestions board which describes a flexible cap that, honestly, sounds like a very good answer to the problem.

Pandeh – For that to work, the achievement would have to be rewarded at the daily reset, which is somewhat confusing. (Imagine logging in and immediately getting an achievement and daily chest for something you did yesterday. It’s…strange, a little confusing.) I think they’d have to introduce more “do NOT do this” achievements to make the confusion worthwhile, and I’m a little iffy about the playstyle that encourages. It’s a novel idea, but it has some unintuitive aspects to it.

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

Malediktus.9250

As someone from the TOP 100 EU (16.4k AP) I support this. There are too many daily tasks to compete in the leaderboards already.
I optimized my daily routine to do all the dailies in the fewest timeframe possible, but its not very fun.

Oh I forgot to add: I would gladly have the cap applied retroactively and loose thousands of points in return if it would make the future of the game more enjoyable for me.
Other solutions: Cap achievement points from dailies to 10k, monthlies to 2.5k and living story to 5k.
Currently 6524 of my points come from dailies and 1310 from monthlies, did all but one living story achievement worth 20 points (throw 8 orbs at liadri)

(edited by Malediktus.9250)

Draknar.5748

Almost all the players that make these threads are in the top 100. I’m #43 in NA right now.
I thought the forums were supposed to be a place of constructive conversation and you among others are remaining quite hostile over something you claim to care little about.
I too can do 8-10 dailies in an hour or less, on certain days, but it’s the remaining annoying ones that take so long. Dungeon completer, story step, fractal, most of the LS dailies. Lots of those take a bit of time and eventually they all add up to more time than they ought to. I do enjoy doing dailies to an extent, and it is what gets me online every day, but if it weren’t for that I would spend a ton more time in dungeons, fractals, and WvW. Hell I might even farm or spend more time in the Living stories than just to do the achievements and/or earn the rewards.
It’s not about making anything more or less competitive, especially if it doesn’t affect or influence you and your fellow non-hunters.

Well your opinion has now been weighted more in my eyes since you are in the top 100. I just don’t know why you don’t just stop yourself at 10 dailies then? If it isn’t about competitiveness and more about time spent doing dailies, then wouldn’t it not matter if there was a cap? I can only assume you feel compelled to do as many dailies as humanly possible every day so you can a) pass the person ahead of you on the leader board and/or b) not lose your place on the leader board.

If it really was all about time investment, then you can easily self-impose a cap without needing Anet to do it. I think it really does boil down to competition and that it is taking way too much of your time to remain competitive/keep your #43 spot.

I’ll try to ease up on my hostility, I didn’t realize I was becoming hostile in my previous posts.

Either way, I would be unaffected. Like I said I’m sitting at 10k AP and maybe do 8 dailies a day (plus PvP daily, gotta get my PvP in, but that’s mostly for fun). If they capped it I wouldn’t notice; I just don’t get why it should be Anet’s job to limit players’ time doing activities that are completely chosen of a player’s own free will. If you find the time requirement high, then don’t do it. You will suffer via leader board rank, but many would consider that to be how life works.

But it is a video game, so, I wish you the best of luck in getting a daily AP cap. If I see it in a future update, I’ll think to myself “Atta boy, Hellmasker, atta boy…”

Hellmasker.1649

Oh I forgot to add: I would gladly have the cap applied retroactively and loose thousands of points in return if it would make the future of the game more enjoyable for me.
Other solutions: Cap achievement points from dailies to 10k, monthlies to 2.5k and living story to 5k.
Currently 6524 of my points come from dailies and 1310 from monthlies, did all but one living story achievement worth 20 points (throw 8 orbs at liadri)

I completely agree, though with AP rewards I’m not sure how that would work mechanically speaking.

Well your opinion has now been weighted more in my eyes since you are in the top 100. I just don’t know why you don’t just stop yourself at 10 dailies then? If it isn’t about competitiveness and more about time spent doing dailies, then wouldn’t it not matter if there was a cap? I can only assume you feel compelled to do as many dailies as humanly possible every day so you can a) pass the person ahead of you on the leader board and/or b) not lose your place on the leader board.

If it really was all about time investment, then you can easily self-impose a cap without needing Anet to do it. I think it really does boil down to competition and that it is taking way too much of your time to remain competitive/keep your #43 spot.

I’ll try to ease up on my hostility, I didn’t realize I was becoming hostile in my previous posts.

Either way, I would be unaffected. Like I said I’m sitting at 10k AP and maybe do 8 dailies a day (plus PvP daily, gotta get my PvP in, but that’s mostly for fun). If they capped it I wouldn’t notice; I just don’t get why it should be Anet’s job to limit players’ time doing activities that are completely chosen of a player’s own free will. If you find the time requirement high, then don’t do it. You will suffer via leader board rank, but many would consider that to be how life works.

But it is a video game, so, I wish you the best of luck in getting a daily AP cap. If I see it in a future update, I’ll think to myself “Atta boy, Hellmasker, atta boy…”

Haha thanks man. It has a lot to do with being the best I can be, doing the most I can, but with upwards of 20 dailies, ‘the most I can’ is a kitten-ton. :\
I appreciate you toning down the hostility. Gotta love the GW2 community.
And actually speaking of which, I think that’s something that would benefit from some kind of daily AP cap. I could get back to playing with my friends and guildies (ahh heck, pugs too) just for the sake of playing, not to benefit myself with achievements. With regard to a future update though, I would love to know ANet is even reading what some of their elite have to say about it.

Posted by: Oenanthe.6549

Oenanthe.6549

Leaderboards? Thats the first I had heard of them and as far as i’m concerned it might as well be the last. Yesterday I got the chest for reaching 4000 AP and I have been playing since launch, and you know what, I still enjoy playing.

If you find that you are getting too worked up about your place on the leaderboard or find that keeping up with the living story is too much for you to do, maybe it is time to sit back, ignore things like that, and relax. Either quit for a while and do other things or play in a more relaxed way.

For me work puts me under enough pressure to be bad for my health, I can’t let what I do in my free time do the same. Learn to sit back and watch the scenery, it is actually beautifully done.

Malediktus.9250

I completely agree, though with AP rewards I’m not sure how that would work mechanically speaking.

You should keep your rewards, but are further away from earning your next chest, so if you would loose 3k points (random example), you would need to get 3k+x points for your next chest.

Hellmasker.1649

For the record, I’ve skipped dailies before, both voluntarily and involuntarily, and even some monthlies due to a patch bug a few months ago. :P

Posted by: Ewon.5903

Ewon.5903

I haven’t read through the entire thread, seems like there is a lot of hate, but I’d like to step in as another top AP grinder.

Yes, we happen to have a different style of play than many of you, but please understand that we are not suggesting ways to limit the rest of the players. We find fun in different ways, such as 100% completing games. When not playing GW2, I’m usually trying to 100% various handheld games.

When I got into the achievement hunt in GW2, it only took like 20minutes a day to finish my dailies. That left lots of time to work on the other achievements, and didn’t feel like such a grind. I understand that they game is going to evolve over time, but the amount require to get all daily achievements just keeps going up. Depending on which ones are active, who is on my friend list, how my server is doing in WvW, what living story ones are available, it can sometimes take 2+ hours just to get dailies done. I get that people want options, and I know some people will point out that we do not “need” all the dailies. We don’t need anything in the game, we don’t need to play the game. I’m simply pointing out that I had fun with an aspect of the game that has been changing to something that now feels more like a grind.

If you do not respect our style of play, I can understand that, but if QoL changes for us will not hinder you, please don’t point out that they are not “needed”. We are just trying to keep achievement fun a little interesting for ourselves.

(edited by Ewon.5903)

Posted by: Mixistrike.7840

Mixistrike.7840

Which competition is that you need to spend 4 hours per day? And are you telling me that I, or everyone, I said, EVERYONE that competition with me about this, are doing wrong? I don’t want be boring/annoying with you guys, but is really hard, 5 months early I was with 2k achievs points. I pass everybody on my friend list, because this competition is about endurance, how much you can endure for this? So don’t tell me things like that plz. If you theorize this problem, listen what are we talking, and for devs, concern all this discussion.

If you put on excel and know how long the first place can get the 25k AP. Ok? but the formula should have the living world, don’t remove points of living world just because the time for get 25k is out of plans.

Plz, don’t theorize the problem, get to it, live it.

PS: sorry about the words, and mistakes. And thanks again for all points of views.

Hellmasker.1649

I haven’t read through the entire thread, seems like there is a lot of hate, but I’d like to step in as another top AP grinder.

Yes, we happen to have a different style of play than many of you, but please understand that we are not suggesting ways to limit the rest of the players. We find fun in different ways, such as 100% completing games. When not playing GW2, I’m usually trying to 100% various handheld games.

When I got into the achievement hunt in GW2, it only took like 20minutes a day to finish my dailies. That left lots of time to work on the other achievements, and didn’t feel like such a grind. I understand that they game is going to evolve over time, but the amount require to get all daily achievements just keeps going up. Depending on which ones are active, who is on my friend list, how my server is doing in WvW, what living story ones are available, it can sometimes take 2+ hours just to get dailies done. I get that people want options, and I know some people will point out that we do not “need” all the dailies. We don’t need anything in the game, we don’t need to play the game. I’m simply pointing out that I had fun with an aspect of the game that has been changing to something that now feels more like a grind.

If you do not respect our style of play, I can understand that, but if QoL changes for us will not hinder you, please don’t point out that they are not “needed”. We are just trying to keep achievement fun a little interesting for ourselves.

Well said, I completely agree.

Mixistrike.7840

kitten , I LOVE YOU!!!!

Posted by: danielrjones.8759

danielrjones.8759

those who want limited amount earned for dailies are the same people who have grinded for hours, are now tired of it, and don’t want others to catch up. If someone feels they “must” complete everything. The problem is not anet, it is the person playing. Being at the top of the leaderboard, says one is very good at playing long hours and very good at pushing buttons. Just a heads up, people who work at Mcdonalds are very good at pushing buttons to. I can say this, as I once had the addiction, thinking I must complete everything. Made it in the top 200 world. Realized what I was doing to myself and took an extended break several months from gw2. Now I enjoy the game again.

Posted by: Mireles Lore.5942

Mireles Lore.5942

I wouldn’t worry so much about leaderboards… If you are someone that has any a job, schooling, spouse, kids, or takes any kind of extended break from the game, give those up or you already lost as far as those are concerned.

That being said, just because people can and do play all day every day, doesn’t mean they should be gated because alot of us can’t. People that are ahead obviously enjoy giving more time than we can, and being “hardcore” about them points. Why shouldn’t areas of the game be made rewarding? Why should these people be held back? so you can feel like what exactly? ahead? better?

I used to have that “all or nothing” mentality, and it really stressed me out when real life circumstances came about that made me miss an accomplishment of living story. It wasn’t even something I liked, but it depressed me and made me want to quit for awhile. But…

This made me realize that if I continued this mentality, the game would become more and more of a chore and not fun I wanted to be having. Many achievements are a grind and more content will be added to the point where I will not have time for everything. I knew if I wanted to have real fun in this game I was going to have to let go of the “completion-ist” play style.

This helps immensely, I don’t start my day grinding out the daily tasks anymore. I just hop into whatever my friends and guild mates are doing and they complete naturally. I don’t rush to do all the living story and feel like I must do it as quickly as possible because waiting to do it with your friends offers a more enjoyable experience. I don’t feel bad when there is a grind achievement that would take hours to do when I could be off doing something I enjoy instead, because really, there will be other achievement points to earn.

So in short, my fellow completion-ists. This game is not the game of previous generations where you have a list of fixed goals to complete with unlimited to complete them and you “beat” the game. This game is very much dynamic and “living” rewards will constantly expand and the time scope required to complete everything will only grow larger to the point where it will make the game into a chore. That feeling is on you, not Anet for trying to make this game rewarding for everyones play preferences and style.

I try to think of AP points as a marathon not a race. If you are one of those people that sticks to one MMO, you don’t want to be burned out, people will drop off over the years as you are still accumulating points for all your time and there will be less people ahead of you as the AP points you have are not available to people that started playing after you.

Director – Xunlai Heroic Service Agents [XHSA] | Yak’s Bend
http://xunlaiheroes.wix.com/xhsa

(edited by Mireles Lore.5942)

Mixistrike.7840

I love you too man!!!

Posted by: nekretaal.6485

nekretaal.6485

those who want limited amount earned for dailies are the same people who have grinded for hours, are now tired of it, and don’t want others to catch up. .

That’s mostly it.

But, for the people who do these dailies everyday, the fact that most of them were not that challenging and were quick but varied and different was a nice carrot to have.

I am not looking forward to slogging up that tower for the hybrid point today after doing it yesterday. I can barely tolerate doing story dungeons once a weeks since there is so little variety (and even less variety of not-long story dungeons). WvW achieves are a pain in a week where the server has quit because of losing. Fractals are long and boring, a lot of people were doing lvl 1 swamp groups so they could quit and get the point instead of finishing.

If you make the game carrots really tedious people will quit.

Add more, fine, but don’t add tedious ones, limit exusting tedius ones, and keep them varied every day.

I know that you are immune to the allure of this carrot because you are a special snowflake, but this does not add anything to the discussion.

#24 leaderboard rank North America.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I don’t understand the compulsion to do every single possible daily achieve, myself. I’m willing to agree that clearly some do have that compulsion. However, asking ANet to restrict my options just so someone else has few enough options to do them all seems a tad unfair.

If there were a cap on achieve points, would it also stop the XP boost from a task completion? I’ve greatly enjoyed leveling alts by doing the daily on them, sometimes doing more than the 5 minimum simply to get the XP bar moved a bit more. Are you saying you want to cap what I can do in a day just so you don’t have to do more -every- day?

I don’t feel hostility or ire, I promise you. I just don’t think the game should be throttled down for millions of people simply to satisfy a few hundred (or a couple of thousand, even) completionists. It’s part of GW2’s design that there are multiple and variegated things to do, all of which offer advancement. You’re not -supposed- to be able to do them all!

It feels like asking for a fancy buffet dinner to be downsized to three small trays so you can actually eat everything on the table, and never mind the other patrons who might have wanted a wider variety of food to choose from in their meal. Or demanding that because you can only achieve x amount, x should be all there is because you can’t be satisfied with what you’ve done if there’s more out there. “I helped ten homeless people find shelter on a cold night. But darn it, there were ten more out there somewhere, so what I did means nothing.” “I’m running a marathon. I can only run one this year, so they’d better not have more marathons in the country besides this one.”

Mixistrike.7840

those who want limited amount earned for dailies are the same people who have grinded for hours, are now tired of it, and don’t want others to catch up. .

That’s mostly it.

But, for the people who do these dailies everyday, the fact that most of them were not that challenging and were quick but varied and different was a nice carrot to have.

I am not looking forward to slogging up that tower for the hybrid point today after doing it yesterday. I can barely tolerate doing story dungeons once a weeks since there is so little variety (and even less variety of not-long story dungeons). WvW achieves are a pain in a week where the server has quit because of losing. Fractals are long and boring, a lot of people were doing lvl 1 swamp groups so they could quit and get the point instead of finishing.

If you make the game carrots really tedious people will quit.

Add more, fine, but don’t add tedious ones, limit exusting tedius ones, and keep them varied every day.

I know that you are immune to the allure of this carrot because you are a special snowflake, but this does not add anything to the discussion.

Maybe you right, but the main thing here is: don`t put more dailies at the game, at this moment its really hard to get all AP from dailies everyday, if you read all posts you`ll see a lots of players take off the battle, and adding more points it means, they gonna get 25k faster.

Maybe this is intentional, maybe not. But who has this play style, don`t want more dailies, and for who trying to catch us, think after you got it. and if you don`t play like that, who cares? you`ll not affect with this, the solution here maybe is, put a cap for dailies.

At this moment, if you lost all that living world you can`t catch us, there is no content that we don`t do it. I love gw2, and I play gw2 not because o loved gw1, but because gw2 is the best MMO on the market. ps: ultima online was the best mmo, but just pol edition, focus on mass combat =). chaosage

So, go ahead, show to devs what they should do!!!!!

Ewon.5903

those who want limited amount earned for dailies are the same people who have grinded for hours, are now tired of it, and don’t want others to catch up.

I’m sorry but I very much disagree.

Mixistrike.7840

Guys, if you don`t have this play style, we don`t asking for changes(maybe a little bit) but to won`t adding dailies. if they put more dailies, put a cap too, or we `ll see shared accounts.

Posted by: Asia Skyly.7198

Asia Skyly.7198

If you feel you are ‘working’ while playing the game, quite simply you are doing it wrong.

This. Precisely this.

Take it from an ex-achievement pointholic. You are better off letting go.

Whether they add more or less daily ap is irrelevant. The LS AP, also irrelevant. If you are not enjoying the game and what it has become for you, is time to move on. You are exactly where I was 3 months ago. I suggest you take a break from the game.

I did that not long ago and left the game for 3+ months after constantly hunting down achievements became an overbearing burden. I felt the need to do my dailies, in their entirety every single day. The outcome of that is that I no longer play the game. I played the achievement point learderboard, and I will tell you, that is one boring game.

Posted by: Kaon.7192

Kaon.7192

If playing too much is a problem for you, you are in the same boat as many people who’ve battled non-online addiction. Just as tobacco and alcohol are still being sold, developers are going to keep adding “things to do” to games. I feel for anyone who feels out of control, as I’ve been there. However, asking the makers of the game to exercise control for you is not going to help you in the long run. Only you can control you.

Good luck.

Amen.

I used to be in the top 100 when the leaderboards first came out, completing just about every single available achievement all the time.

It took quite a leap from my side to rid myself of this destructive habit, but ever since I did, I’ve been able to spend less time in the game and enjoy the time that I do spend in the game so much more.

If you don’t genuinely enjoy the AP hunting that’s required to keep up with the top dogs on the Leaderboards, you’re really better off stopping on your own accord before you eventually grow resentment towards the game.

Seriously, give letting go a try.

(edited by Kaon.7192)

Asia Skyly.7198

I used to be in the top 100 when the leaderboards first came out, completing just about every single available achievement all the time.

It took quite a leap from my side to rid myself of this destructive habit, but ever since I did, I’ve been able to spend less time in the game and enjoy the time that I do spend in the game so much more.

Seriously, give letting go a try.

We should start APHolic Anonymous

Ewon.5903

Whether they add more or less daily ap is irrelevant. The LS AP, also irrelevant. If you are not enjoying the game and what it has become for you, is time to move on. You are exactly where I was 3 months ago. I suggest you take a break from the game.

I did that not long ago and left the game for 3+ months after constantly hunting down achievements became an overbearing burden. I felt the need to do my dailies, in their entirety every single day. The outcome of that is that I no longer play the game. I played the achievement point learderboard, and I will tell you, that is one boring game.

I’m going to disagree. If you enjoy a game, but there are changes or aspects of it you are not liking, voice your opinion. We are not talking about people getting bored. We are talking about the daily time required if someone is to go for all achievement points. This has been increasing over time and some people would like this to stop. There are many ways this could be solved, and limiting players not what we are requesting.

I find it odd that there are people who love to be negative to AP hunters, yet they post on threads that will in NO way affect how THEY are playing the game.

Voice your opinion of the things that affect you, and respect how others play the game.

Mireles Lore.5942

I’m going to disagree. If you enjoy a game, but there are changes or aspects of it you are not liking, voice your opinion. We are not talking about people getting bored. We are talking about the daily time required if someone is to go for all achievement points. This has been increasing over time and some people would like this to stop. There are many ways this could be solved, and limiting players not what we are requesting.

I find it odd that there are people who love to be negative to AP hunters, yet they post on threads that will in NO way affect how THEY are playing the game.

Voice your opinion of the things that affect you, and respect how others play the game.

While I am not a hard core AP hunter I disagree with the sentiment of not adding dailies for PvP and adding cap limits to everyone because a group of people feel something has become to tedious and unfun. Some people might actually want to hunt all the points available in any given day because they find it enjoyable or don’t get to play every day.

You feeling like its unfun does not mean it should be limited so you don’t feel like you HAVE to do it when others might want to. Because the reality is, it isnt required of you in any way, it is something you have imposed on yourself and want to limit the experience of others to keep that obligation to yourself easier to maintain.

If limiting what other people can accomplish in any given day is required for you to be satisfied with the game and what you accomplish, you are a selfish player.

Asia Skyly.7198

We are not talking about people getting bored. We are talking about the daily time required if someone is to go for all achievement points. This has been increasing over time and some people would like this to stop.

But you CAN stop. Just do not do them.

Ewon.5903

We are not talking about people getting bored. We are talking about the daily time required if someone is to go for all achievement points. This has been increasing over time and some people would like this to stop.

and I will stop when it gets to the point I lose interest. I would much rather state my opinion now in hopes that things can change. Don’t just give up right away. Things can change, state your opinion.

While I am not a hard core AP hunter I disagree with the sentiment of not adding dailies for PvP and adding cap limits to everyone because a group of people feel something has become to tedious and unfun. Some people might actually want to hunt all the points available in any given day because they find it enjoyable or don’t get to play every day.

You feeling like its unfun does not mean it should be limited so you don’t feel like you HAVE to do it when others might want to. Because the reality is, it isnt required of you in any way, it is something you have imposed on yourself and want to limit the experience of others to keep that obligation to yourself easier to maintain.

If limiting what other people can accomplish in any given day is required for you to be satisfied with the game and what you accomplish, you are a selfish player.

If I were to suggest the daily AP be added to the daily chest rather than for each daily, this is not limiting anyone. This would still allow options for every player, and would make it less of a drain on the AP hunters.

(edited by Ewon.5903)

Posted by: Panda Shepard.1248

Panda Shepard.1248

These people can’t stop though. They’re addicted.
Maybe Anet should allow a way to just cap the accounts of the people who’re having problems. Why hurt the people who enjoy going for all the points?
I know sometimes if I’m close to getting my chest I’ll start doing as many points as I can to get to it. It’s fun that way for me. I’d hate to run into the cap.

Asia Skyly.7198

Whether or not you hunt for achievement points is a personal decision. A cap, of any kind, is unnecessary. In fact they should add more dailies.

Ewon.5903

Whether or not you hunt for achievement points is a personal decision. A cap, of any kind, is unnecessary. In fact they should add more dailies.

My suggestion isn’t actually capping anyone out.

I’m attempting to find a solution that would keep all parties happy. It has become more and more clear that you are unwilling to step in someone else’s shoes. Im sorry, but I shall move on now.

Asia Skyly.7198

I have been on those shoes. The solution is still a personal choice. There is no need to change anything. There is no need to complain about a problem that ultimately is all about self restrain.

Mireles Lore.5942

and I will stop when it gets to the point I lose interest. I would much rather state my opinion now in hopes that things can change. Don’t just give up right away. Things can change, state your opinion.

If I were to suggest the daily AP be added to the daily chest rather than for each daily, this is not limiting anyone. This would still allow options for every player, and would make it less of a drain on the AP hunters.

Like I said before, I don’t feel like a group wanting to “making it easier” on themselves is reason enough to change the system.

While you might want this… The hard core APs that might actually enjoy the competitiveness of the leaderboards has just had his competitive edge reduced because people that share your opinion didn’t want to actually do the dailies they feel are to tedious and now anyone that completes the daily chest is just as competitive as he was. Not only that, but on the flip side, anyone that started later now has less room to catch up as everyone gets a flat rate AP for the daily.

The only rational conclusion to let everyone play the way they want is to let those people play like they want and let you play how you want even if that means you missing some points.

Your suggestion is different but your reason for changing the game is still because you don’t feel like doing a certain activity is fun… that is not reason to take away other people’s motivation and reward for doing that activity.

Posted by: danielrjones.8759

danielrjones.8759

I believe there are those who feel compelled to complete everything, I also have to believe those who are arguing saying its not about position on the leaderboard. If you are saying that, then I also have to believe you never check the leaderboard, never look to see who has x amount more and who is very close to your score. If you never check the boards to see what others peoples scores are then you have a valid argument. If you do check them, its all about points, and other peoples points, you have no argument.

Draknar.5748

Gotta say, you AP hunters make a decent argument, I’m starting to see where you’re coming from. It’s very easy for the vast majority of us who don’t AP hunt to have no problem with daily AP cap, because odds are we will never hit it anyway, so who the heck even cares.

I can understand how those that do 100% completion on games and apply that gaming style to GW2 in the form of AP hunting would be impacted greatly by raising the number of dailies. You feel compelled to get everything you can, I get it, and adding more dailies only means that players like you will be compelled to complete those new dailies as well, detracting from the rest of the stuff in GW2 you could be doing.

Where you lose me, and most other people in this forum, is the fact that this is a chosen gaming lifestyle.

I do, now, however, support some sort of AP cap on the daily. From the daily I typically get 12AP (4 for PvP, 8 regular). I consider myself a casual player. I get on, pick the 5 easiest to complete for the laurel, hop in PvP for minimum 3 matches, but typically 5, then hop into WvWvW (unless a crazy queue time) and often get a couple of the WvWvW dailies done in the course of the session.

This typically is a 2hour process: 15min for first laurel 5, 45min for 3 matches PvP, 1hr WvWvW (which I’m sure would be faster if I did WvW strictly to knock out the dailies, but I don’t).

If a cap were to be put on the daily AP, I feel it would need to be above 12/day. I get 12 a day actually doing what I enjoy, I sure as hell don’t want to have my AP capped to below what I get in a day not grinding it. I feel 15 is a fair cap. It’s still high, but it’s capped.

If you want to hit a cap you should have to go out of your way, not hit it through the course of normal non-AP hunting play.

Ewon.5903

Gotta say, you AP hunters make a decent argument, I’m starting to see where you’re coming from. It’s very easy for the vast majority of us who don’t AP hunt to have no problem with daily AP cap, because odds are we will never hit it anyway, so who the heck even cares.

Thank you for seeing this.

Where you lose me, and most other people in this forum, is the fact that this is a chosen gaming lifestyle.

I can’t speak for all AP hunters, and you know what, some are requesting changes that I do not agree with. I don’t want to limit the rest if the player base. The changes I’m looking fro should only be noticed by the AP community. Much like I would expect PvP changes to only be noticed by PvPers.

Yes, this is a chosen gaming life style, but I picked GW2, out of all the games I could have picked form. I picked it back during beta for specific reasons. If back at the start of GW2 there would have been 2+ hours of dailies to do, i would NOT have chosen to compete on the AP leader boards. I those to do this at the time, although there wasn’t actually a leader board, because dailies were less of a grind for all daily AP. I believe most of us at the top of the boards can agree that grinding out daily AP was not what we were expecting to do.

If the changes to the dailies are suggested in a way that they will not affect you, please do not deny the AP hunters a QoL change just because you think poorly of us.

(edited by Ewon.5903)

Posted by: Upham.6137

Upham.6137

If you want a rewarding leatherboard go play tournaments or do high level fractals, or even join a server with an organized WvW team, but achievement points?

Really?
I don’t get it.

Bläck Dähliä

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I do actively AP hunt; however I am also aware that when such activities start feeling ‘not fun’ for me, that I need to do something else. Something that I do find fun. That I should not; however, demand it be changed to suit my tastes, because I’m sure there are others that still enjoy it because that is their play style.

This would be equivalent to my demanding everyone be limited to only two hours a day of play because that’s all I can play. I’m sure that would kitten quite a few of you off…

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: KOPPER.1458

KOPPER.1458

“This would be equivalent to my demanding everyone be limited to only two hours a day of play because that’s all I can play. I’m sure that would kitten quite a few of you off…”

Is it the same though? Everyone would get X pts a day if they completed it. It’s not limiting in the sense that you can’t continue to play you just don’t earn APs from more dailies.

It would certainly make a lot of players unhappy I think though.