"No-grind philosophy"

"No-grind philosophy"

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Eleri Tezhme.3048

Eleri Tezhme.3048

Please sir, find that game that has no grind and only has content and enjoy it for yourself.

Elder Scrolls
Mass Effect
Fallout
Dragon Age

It’s actually quite easy to make a game with no grind and only content.

Myst Online, but that’s such an utter outlier that it is in a category by itself.

Anyhoo, grind…

I think the distinction between Grind: repetitive/time consuming actions required for game advancement vs Farm: repetitive/time consuming actions for optional game enhanements is a super important one.

There’s not a whole lot of gameplay dependent Grind in GW2. All of my 80s have gotten through their LS without an ounce of Ascended gear, most of them with only one or two pieces of exotic gear, and almost all of that from drops rather than crafting or purchace. (I’d even say there was more of it in GW1- there were areas you could not complete without having to go and get specific elite spells.)

On the other hand, even though crafting technically falls under the “Farming” category, it absolutely 100% is the most grindyest activity in the whole game.

Spending time gathering materials to make repetitive items (90% of which you will delete, because the market is saturated with them, even after you set aside the ones you will use) just to be able to advance to the next level of materials (at which point the previous level of materials becomes completely useless), where you repeat the exact same recipies, to make the exact same series of items, just with fancier mats. No wonder people who decide to craft things feel like their game is grindy, because it really does qualify- even though they’ve chosen to “Farm”

The only crafting dicipline that isn’t a fixed, linear grind is Cooking. At least there the materials you gather throughout the game are useful at all levels, the recipies aren’t blatantly predictable (so you’re actually discovering things) and you don’t (usually) end up with piles and piles of the same relatively useless item just so you can get to the next level.

So, yeah. While ANet is correct in that that there is very little “Grind” required for gameplay, their “Farming” and crafting mechanism is EPICLY grindy.

Edited to Add: SO points out to me that another major facet of “Grind” is the sense of high effort-low reward, very low enjoyment. Most ‘grind’ feels like it is pointless repetition.

(edited by Eleri Tezhme.3048)

"No-grind philosophy"

Posted by: Bernie.8674

Bernie.8674

GW1 had plenty of grind with its faction grind and grinding for ectos. Then grinding the same mob over and over again for its rare drop.

But there were also many title tracks that were not so grindy. Legendary Vanquisher, for example. Also, I got full sets of BiS end game gear by simply playing through story lines. We didn’t hit level 20 only to discover that we were going to be collecting silk for the next year or so before being able to craft our BiS gear. Plus, there were tricks to reducing your grind in GW1. Soloing high end mobs was feasible with certain builds, and three-manning eight-man content was often effective as well.

Because some elements of not so grindy doesn’t mean there isn’t grind. Its still grind. There are tricks to reducing the grind in gw2 as well. But its still grind.

There was grind for ectos, but there was no compelling reason to get ectos unless you wanted to play fashion plates with your in-game characters. It turns out that lots of people actually enjoy that sort of thing, so ecto farming was immensely popular. There was grind for faction, but there was very little need for that until EotN came out. I agree that EotN introduced a bunch of grind with their faction-dependent skills, but most of it was actually pretty easy to get over the course of normal playing. For the most part, a concerted grind was optional. When I finally got to the point where all that was left was a grind, I gave up and played WoW for five years.

In GW2 there is every reason to get ascended gear. The stats are far better and no other gear in the game has agony resist. That’s the difference. The elements of not so grindy were the core of the game. The grindy portion was for icing on the cake. Not so here. My guild mates call this game Grind Wars.

(edited by Bernie.8674)

"No-grind philosophy"

Bernie.8674

GW1 had plenty of grind with its faction grind and grinding for ectos. Then grinding the same mob over and over again for its rare drop.

But there were also many title tracks that were not so grindy. Legendary Vanquisher, for example.

I stopped reading here, because that particular title was so repetitive and boring . . . I gave up.

The only time I vanquished was with the alliance to keep me entertained.

You had to kill every monster in each area one time how is that repetitive? This is something you could even do your first time through. How was that grindy? How is that any more boring than repeatedly defending the same four forts for twenty minutes and then picking one of the four champions to kill and then repeating the entire sequence again ad-nauseum? That’s pretty much all everyone in my guild does now.

"No-grind philosophy"

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

But there were also many title tracks that were not so grindy. Legendary Vanquisher, for example. Also, I got full sets of BiS end game gear by simply playing through story lines. We didn’t hit level 20 only to discover that we were going to be collecting silk for the next year or so before being able to craft our BiS gear. Plus, there were tricks to reducing your grind in GW1. Soloing high end mobs was feasible with certain builds, and three-manning eight-man content was often effective as well.

Because some elements of not so grindy doesn’t mean there isn’t grind. Its still grind. There are tricks to reducing the grind in gw2 as well. But its still grind.

There was grind for ectos, but there was no compelling reason to get ectos unless you wanted to play fashion plates with your in-game characters. It turns out that lots of people actually enjoy that sort of thing, so ecto farming was immensely popular. There was grind for faction, but there was very little need for that until EotN came out. I agree that EotN introduced a bunch of grind with their faction-dependent skills, but most of it was actually pretty easy to get over the course of normal playing. For the most part, a concerted grind was optional. When I finally got to the point where all that was left was a grind, I gave up and played WoW for five years.

In GW2 there is every reason to get ascended gear. The stats are far better and no other gear in the game has agony resist. That’s the difference. The elements of not so grindy were the core of the game. The grindy portion was for icing on the cake. Not so here. My guild mates call this game Grind Wars.

There isn’t every reason. Ascended is barely better. Again, I have yet to come across something, other than high level fractals, where I’ve needed ascended gear. As for agony resist, only one place in the whole game has it, and its level 10+ fractals, a small portion of the game. If someone doesn’t do fractals above 10, agony resist is pointless.

Now, I agree that ascended is a grind for, but mostly in the sense that
1. Its a pain to get low level cloth unless you have an alt around level 50 or want to kill your mouse clicking and putting karma gear in the forge so you can salvage the result.
2. The time gate.

I agree the time gate should be removed, and there needs to be better ways to get the cloth (mainly) and then other mats. If anything, and what I suggested before, one way to speed up the acquisition is to start using karma again for more end game stuff, you get that currency from basically doing anything in the game anyway. We have laurals and guild tokens able to be used to by the accessories, why not use karma for the armor and weapons materials? Make a bag costing 200k karma (made up number, dont freak out) that will give you raw crafting mats and a chance at a bolt of damask, Elonian Leather square, Spiritwood plank, the Deldrimor steel ingot, and globs of dark matter. If you don’t get the ascended mat, well then at least you get the crafting materials towards making your own.

Add a recipe that includes the ascended reagent and 5 ectos to make a dark matter.

At least it will shorten the grind then.

"No-grind philosophy"

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

But there were also many title tracks that were not so grindy. Legendary Vanquisher, for example.

I stopped reading here, because that particular title was so repetitive and boring . . . I gave up.

it may have been boring/tedious to you, but it was not repetive, you only had to do each zone one time, and every zone was different.

tedious/boring/dont like does not equal repetitive

"No-grind philosophy"

phys.7689

There isn’t every reason. Ascended is barely better. Again, I have yet to come across something, other than high level fractals, where I’ve needed ascended gear. As for agony resist, only one place in the whole game has it, and its level 10+ fractals, a small portion of the game. If someone doesn’t do fractals above 10, agony resist is pointless.

1. Its a pain to get low level cloth unless you have an alt around level 50 or want to kill your mouse clicking and putting karma gear in the forge so you can salvage the result.
2. The time gate.

I agree the time gate should be removed, and there needs to be better ways to get the cloth (mainly) and then other mats. If anything, and what I suggested before, one way to speed up the acquisition is to start using karma again for more end game stuff, you get that currency from basically doing anything in the game anyway. We have laurals and guild tokens able to be used to by the accessories, why not use karma for the armor and weapons materials? Make a bag costing 200k karma (made up number, dont freak out) that will give you raw crafting mats and a chance at a bolt of damask, Elonian Leather square, Spiritwood plank, the Deldrimor steel ingot, and globs of dark matter. If you don’t get the ascended mat, well then at least you get the crafting materials towards making your own.

Add a recipe that includes the ascended reagent and 5 ectos to make a dark matter.

progress should never have required crafting, i like crafting in general, but its stupid to force it on people for combat, and up to level 500?

bleh this is ine of many misteps

"No-grind philosophy"

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

Oh, so, by anet’s definition, having to kill a raid boss, for a 15% chance to get the sword I want = grind.

Being able to get that same sword after:

- spending hundreds of hours hoarding mats or gold to buy the mats needed to craft other mats needed to craft the sword (with time gating, because kitten)
- get that sword via killing any mob in game, with a drop chance of 0,00000001%

= no grind!!!

Give me back my grind, please.

ANet is taking the grind to a whole new level with their anti-grind philosophy.

It is like they make the grind feel so futile, that most players will just give up on getting what they want.

Genious!

I’m not sure why you think you’d know what most players like or don’t like.

I don’t think this “I don’t think you can proof anything you say, but whatever I say is correct because I say so” mentality helps any kind of discussion.

In fact I think it’s pretty childish and only causing topics to get derailed. If this is your goal, I think I have to remind you of the forum rules. It is against them. Sorry.

I think it’s helpful … people tend to think they speak for everyone when they don’t. That is just a reminder.

"No-grind philosophy"

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

@Kaiyanwan.8521

People keep accusing me of defending the status quo, but you see, even here, you’re doing something. You’re making it sound like just because you like something it’s the right decision to make.

I thought Season 1 of the Living Story was hands above Season 2. I never particularly loved the personal story and I don’t think adding to it makes this a better game. The change was made to appease people who didn’t want to miss stuff, but it doesn’t make the game stronger or better for me. And I don’t really see the point of charging people who missed it either. These are things I don’t like that you do.

You want to make the game better and in an effort to do so, you exaagerate what’s wrong with it. The problem is someone comes along and they read this exaagerated stuff you’re saying and if they take it at face value, you’re driving people away from the game who might not know any better. Because when I read your posts, if I were a casual forum goer, if I believed you, I wouldn’t log into the game at all. There are enough people that do this that it acts like an anti-advertising squad.

The game has flaws. I’ve said it has flaws. I’ve pointed out that it has flaws. But exaagerating those flaws doesn’t, in my opinion help the game.

There is grind in the game, but it’s not mandatory grind and there are people, probably quite a few, that don’t really grind at all. Saying that everyone has given up on their goals because of the grind, or that most people have, doesn’t help the game. It’s not constructive. And if enough people are exaagerating, all it does is turn people off that might never try it, because “everyone” is saying it.

That’s why I try to provide a bit of balance. Not because you don’t have a right to your opinion, but because overstated opinions can affect whether people log in or not. It’s your prerogative to exaggerate, it’s mine to say something about it if you do. But you’ll notice I almost never say something to a well worded complaint, expressed fairly. Or if I do I’ll only say what I feel about it as a contrast and leave it at that.

"No-grind philosophy"

Posted by: Milennin.4825

Milennin.4825

My opinion on the grind in Guild Wars 2:

Ascended sucks and should have never been added to the game. There, I said it.
It started with the release of Fractals and the huge, slow grind for Ascended trinkets. Then came Ascended crafting and it only got worse. I need to wait 12 hours to craft this item I already got all the materials for? You what-!?!? And I need 5 of them per item, so it’s going to take me weeks just to craft a few weapons for only one of my characters (and I currently have 4 level 80s that I’d like to play that I’d want every available weapon for). And that’s ignoring the ridiculous high costs to even get the materials in the first place. What were they thinking!?

Ascended was a waste of development time and doesn’t do anything to improve the game. They should have stuck to alternative skins for Exotic gear.

Guild Wars 1 did it best with low cost for getting the best gear, then pay extra to get nicer skins.

Just who the hell do you think I am!?

(edited by Milennin.4825)

"No-grind philosophy"

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

You had to kill every monster in each area one time how is that repetitive? This is something you could even do your first time through. How was that grindy?

You could do it your first time through, sure. But it doesn’t count until Hard Mode – which means you already went through it once. And if you happened to fail enough to get a nice thick Death Penalty going? Start over.

It was boring having to comb the are for those last few you undoubtedly missed. It was repetitive killing the same junk over and over.

How is that any more boring than repeatedly defending the same four forts for twenty minutes and then picking one of the four champions to kill and then repeating the entire sequence again ad-nauseum? That’s pretty much all everyone in my guild does now.

You seem to have mistaken part of my post for saying those things you listed here . . . aren’t boring and repetitive themselves. I did not say that.

They are, at least, more entertaining since I’m doing it with people I can chat or have fun with over the time I’m doing it. And I don’t care too much about the drops – it’s just better than WvW this week on my server.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

"No-grind philosophy"

Bernie.8674

And I speak from experience when I say that it really sucks to force your group of five guildmates to downscale from a level 50 to a level 15 fractal because, even after playing for six months, I was still at 10 agony resistance. That was never the case in Guild Wars 1. By the time I finished my storyline I had ascended and had fully infused all my gear. The grinding came when I got my sunglasses, my torment bow, my torment shield, and my frog scepter. None of that stuff actually had any actual bearing on how I played, however. In EotN I had to grind for some skills, but those weren’t even all that amazing.

2. The time gate.

Well, I’m glad we agree on something at least.

"No-grind philosophy"

Posted by: McSlappy.1372

McSlappy.1372

@Devata
The MMO community is more fractured now, with less people playing each game. I don’t believe there’ll ever be another WoW, because WoW only got where it did by coming out when it did.

In the end, there’s only you saying this would work, with no real evidence to support it, except Anet did it years ago.

I strongly believe it wouldn’t work now, but even if I thought it would, I still couldn’t ask a company to risk losing everything on such a small amount of evidence.

Yes and no. There were EQ1 and other MMOs out at the time. But what WoW did was really create and vitalize the genre. Blizzard banked on their wildly popular IP of strategy games to make a great MMO. But They didn’t hit their peak till Lich King. Why because they kept improving the game. They removed things that were not fun and introduced things that were fun. This is something that ANet has proven they are not capable of nearly with almost every release of a content patch.

Granted that last statement is personal opinion of course. But looking at launch population and current it would seem that is the opinion of the vast majority of people that have played the game at one point or another and are no longer playing. Blizzard is getting record numbers back again why? Because they’ve listened to they’re paying players and produce a game worth paying for access too. Really looking forward to seeing the sales figures for the GW2 expansion.

"No-grind philosophy"

McSlappy.1372

Simulation games are not grindy. No one has yet made a simulation mmo.

World of Tanks…..and all the other variety. If you want a totally persistant world EVE etc.

"No-grind philosophy"

Vayne.8563

@Devata
The MMO community is more fractured now, with less people playing each game. I don’t believe there’ll ever be another WoW, because WoW only got where it did by coming out when it did.

In the end, there’s only you saying this would work, with no real evidence to support it, except Anet did it years ago.

I strongly believe it wouldn’t work now, but even if I thought it would, I still couldn’t ask a company to risk losing everything on such a small amount of evidence.

Yes and no. There were EQ1 and other MMOs out at the time. But what WoW did was really create and vitalize the genre. Blizzard banked on their wildly popular IP of strategy games to make a great MMO. But They didn’t hit their peak till Lich King. Why because they kept improving the game. They removed things that were not fun and introduced things that were fun. This is something that ANet has proven they are not capable of nearly with almost every release of a content patch.

Granted that last statement is personal opinion of course. But looking at launch population and current it would seem that is the opinion of the vast majority of people that have played the game at one point or another and are no longer playing. Blizzard is getting record numbers back again why? Because they’ve listened to they’re paying players and produce a game worth paying for access too. Really looking forward to seeing the sales figures for the GW2 expansion.

Blizzard is getting record numbers back because they advertise like mad. If they didn’t have very very expensive commercials all over the place, they’d probably have a lot less people. They have the money to do it because of when and how they came out.

There are tons of people who played WoW back in the day and hate where it’s gone. I’ve always maintained that most gamers don’t think about their experience any more than most people eating at McDonalds think about what they’re eating. You walk into stores where some people still buy games and WoW is there. It’s harder where I am anyway to find copies of Guild Wars 2. It doesn’t have the machine behind it.

Have most of those people who play WoW even thought about or heard about Guild Wars 2? Maybe not.

The great masses of people who follow the advertising and don’t look any deeper (and there are plenty) have one option…it’s WoW.

"No-grind philosophy"

phys.7689

@Devata

Blizzard is getting record numbers back because they advertise like mad. If they didn’t have very very expensive commercials all over the place, they’d probably have a lot less people. They have the money to do it because of when and how they came out.

There are tons of people who played WoW back in the day and hate where it’s gone. I’ve always maintained that most gamers don’t think about their experience any more than most people eating at McDonalds think about what they’re eating. You walk into stores where some people still buy games and WoW is there. It’s harder where I am anyway to find copies of Guild Wars 2. It doesn’t have the machine behind it.

Have most of those people who play WoW even thought about or heard about Guild Wars 2? Maybe not.

The great masses of people who follow the advertising and don’t look any deeper (and there are plenty) have one option…it’s WoW.

its not simply advertising which makes wow win. Ads can get you to try, it doesnt get you to stay. And gw2 got a record number of people to try (fastest growing MMO in first 6 months) the difference is retention.
GW2 had an awesome box game with a ton of potential. after about the first 6-11 months, the game didnt really deliver. People stay with wow because for whatever reason they found it compelling and worthwhile to stay.

Perhaps this expansion will change things, but i really hope they seriously vet a lot of their changes. Many were not satisfied with the execution of a lot of their updates

"No-grind philosophy"

McSlappy.1372

Have most of those people who play WoW even thought about or heard about Guild Wars 2? Maybe not..

Most people have actually. The funny thing is it’s just with many other games in the long list of the next big WoW killer. Which is always funny because we always talk about the WoW killer IN WOW lol. Loads of people I know in WoW tried GW2. And I can’t name a single one that still does or has any interest. Even when we were talking about the expansion. None really interested. Are you still going to waste hours and days and not really get any reward for it? Yup. Neh pass. Didn’t want to pay for that then why would we want to give them more money for the same thing. They’d have to come up with something interesting for the current game to get people back that they didn’t have to buy an expansion for before they can get people re interested in the game. Many people look at this game as a bait and switch at the least. Blatant false advertising as the standard.

They talked about putting the scavenger hunt in right after the games release long before an expansion and now they’re going to only allow people with the expansion to do it. Yeah that was false advertising. Ohh we’re working on alternative ways of you getting things like we originally promised but didn’t deliver on. They are coming just keep playing our game. Oops now you have to pay more for them……. Glad the only thing entertaining for me from ANet is their forums lol. Those are free!

Personally will never pay a dime for this game until they’ve removed the grind, have a guaranteed fast way of getting a precursor for a new Legendary and have gotten that in the game before considering paying for an expansion. Of course that won’t happen so I’m happy to say Anet won’t be getting money for me or really anyone I know. They’re mostly all happy playing the WoD expansion right now and GW2 is pretty much a bad WoW challenger memory that happened 2-3 years ago.

"No-grind philosophy"

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

But by the ANet definition of grind, it is not grind because you only need to do each zone once.

"No-grind philosophy"

phys.7689

Have most of those people who play WoW even thought about or heard about Guild Wars 2? Maybe not..

Most people have actually. The funny thing is it’s just with many other games in the long list of the next big WoW killer. Which is always funny because we always talk about the WoW killer IN WOW lol. Loads of people I know in WoW tried GW2. And I can’t name a single one that still does or has any interest. Even when we were talking about the expansion. None really interested. Are you still going to waste hours and days and not really get any reward for it? Yup. Neh pass. Didn’t want to pay for that then why would we want to give them more money for the same thing. They’d have to come up with something interesting for the current game to get people back that they didn’t have to buy an expansion for before they can get people re interested in the game. Many people look at this game as a bait and switch at the least. Blatant false advertising as the standard.

They talked about putting the scavenger hunt in right after the games release long before an expansion and now they’re going to only allow people with the expansion to do it. Yeah that was false advertising. Ohh we’re working on alternative ways of you getting things like we originally promised but didn’t deliver on. They are coming just keep playing our game. Oops now you have to pay more for them……. Glad the only thing entertaining for me from ANet is their forums lol. Those are free!

Personally will never pay a dime for this game until they’ve removed the grind, have a guaranteed fast way of getting a precursor for a new Legendary and have gotten that in the game before considering paying for an expansion. Of course that won’t happen so I’m happy to say Anet won’t be getting money for me or really anyone I know. They’re mostly all happy playing the WoD expansion right now and GW2 is pretty much a bad WoW challenger memory that happened 2-3 years ago.

yeah this irked me as well, none of the solutions to problems of old systems should be packaged with the expansion/require expansion to play. The expansion should be the development of new systems, and extension of old systems.

it is possible though they arent going to lock precursor collections to the expansion, just that thats when they will actually deliver the fix.

It is pretty bad regardless that it looks like it took them 2 years to come up with what amounts to a scavenger hunt. wasnt that the first idea that came out? Isnt requiring people to do X Y Z fairly old hat, and easily programmed? eh well whatevs

(edited by phys.7689)

"No-grind philosophy"

Vayne.8563

@Devata

its not simply advertising which makes wow win. Ads can get you to try, it doesnt get you to stay. And gw2 got a record number of people to try (fastest growing MMO in first 6 months) the difference is retention.
GW2 had an awesome box game with a ton of potential. after about the first 6-11 months, the game didnt really deliver. People stay with wow because for whatever reason they found it compelling and worthwhile to stay.

Perhaps this expansion will change things, but i really hope they seriously vet a lot of their changes. Many were not satisfied with the execution of a lot of their updates

Ads can get you to stay. Tha’ts the funny bit. I know a whole lot of people bored by wow but they stay.

"No-grind philosophy"

McSlappy.1372

yeah this irked me as well, none of the solutions to problems of old systems should be packaged with the expansion/require expansion to play. The expansion should be the development of new systems, and extension of old systems.

it is possible though they arent going to lock precursor collections to the expansion, just that thats when they will actually deliver the fix.

It is pretty bad regardless that it looks like it took them 2 years to come up with what amounts to a scavenger hunt. wasnt that the first idea that came out? Isnt requiring people to do X Y Z fairly old hat, and easily programmed? eh well whatevs

See that’s what I’m kind of split on. For me that would be a minimum for me to really even waste time trying the game other then login click my free chest and logout in case they ever do fix the game. However I have no interest in a 3 year old legendary. Personally the graphics are kind of lame compared to legendaries of other games. So it’s all about access to function. It would have to be for a new legendary that I’m sure would be in the new expansion. However I refuse to give ANet more money until they first deliver on what was originally sold. So will see should be interesting. I’m guessing if their track record holds they’ll fail in their implementation. It would be consistent.

Oops RBG que pop be back later.

"No-grind philosophy"

Posted by: naiasonod.9265

naiasonod.9265

@Devata

Ads can get you to stay. Tha’ts the funny bit. I know a whole lot of people bored by wow but they stay.

I’m not sure that I’d chalk the ’I’m bored/don’t like this but am staying anyway’ mentality up to advertising so much. Suck Cost fallacy seems likely to be more applicable. Certainly has been amongst the social circles I’ve kept over the years at least.

One is only the smartest person in the room if they are alone.

"No-grind philosophy"

Posted by: Lifestealer.4910

Lifestealer.4910

Oh, so, by anet’s definition, having to kill a raid boss, for a 15% chance to get the sword I want = grind.

- spending hundreds of hours hoarding mats or gold to buy the mats needed to craft other mats needed to craft the sword (with time gating, because kitten)

= no grind!!!

/Thread

nothing more need to be said. False advertising and lies of no grind is what got me hooked into this game in the first place, only to find out everything is a lie.

There way of not making us grind is by making the grind so obnoxiously painful its like i am playing p2w game.

I trade lottery grind for raids anyday.

(edited by Lifestealer.4910)

"No-grind philosophy"

Vayne.8563

= no grind!!!

/Thread

nothing more need to be said. False advertising and lies of no grind is what got me hooked into this game in the first place, only to find out everything is a lie.

There way of not making us grind is by making the grind so obnoxiously painful its like i am playing p2w game.

Plenty of those games out there for you. Why are you even hanging around here if that’s the case. Sounds like you’ve made up your mind.

"No-grind philosophy"

Posted by: aerial.7021

aerial.7021

= no grind!!!

/Thread

Plenty of those games out there for you. Why are you even hanging around here if that’s the case. Sounds like you’ve made up your mind.

Maybe – considering the time and effort spent on the game by both the company and him/us as players, it being graphically (personal opinion) better than anything else out there right now, he might be hoping (me included) that Anet will eventually make good on there advertising.

But as I pointed out before its setup this way to make money, now I can’t begrudge them for trying to make money got to feed the family and all. What I’d advise is do not make sweeping general statements like, “no grind” when clearly there is some that some by personal definition and goals can be a lot or a little depending on those goals, what I’d also advise in addition is not to put stats behind time-gates and grind, but instead put the skins there as skins with no stats so that it is clear it’s just something to transmute over your current armor.

Server: Gate of Madness

"No-grind philosophy"

Vayne.8563

= no grind!!!

/Thread

Maybe – considering the time and effort spent on the game by both the company and him/us as players, it being graphically (personal opinion) better than anything else out there right now, he might be hoping (me included) that Anet will eventually make good on there advertising.

But as I pointed out before its setup this way to make money, now I can’t begrudge them for trying to make money got to feed the family and all. What I’d advise is do not make sweeping general statements like, “no grind” when clearly there is some that some by personal definition and goals can be a lot or a little depending on those goals, what I’d also advise in addition is not to put stats behind time-gates and grind, but instead put the skins there as skins with no stats so that it is clear it’s just something to transmute over your current armor.

Make good on their advertising.

So the rest of us who are saying we play without grinding are apparently wrong, and those who choose to grind are saying, essentially the game was falsely advertised. This game has been the game it is, largely, from the moment ascended gear was introduced more than two years ago. Two years for you to either make peace with the game or find another.

Maybe I’m not that intelligent, but it seems to me after two years, you’d either have accepted it or moved on.

I didn’t like the ascended stuff. Never have. But, as I’ve said before, I understand why they did it. They’re certainly not going to reverse it.

So if you can’t live with the game, and it’s not going to change (and that part of it is now) what are you still doing here. There are obviously people willing to accept ascended gear, as long as it’s the last tier.

"No-grind philosophy"

Posted by: Brahmincorle.1264

Brahmincorle.1264

@Devata

Not rly… I downloaded the starter edition (free until lvl 20) yesterday and I almost bought WoD after just 2 hours of game play… AFTER 5 years after I quit. Leveling to lvl 15 was fast and fun (devs pls play it too and then come back to your NPE just for lolz).

What almost got me was PvP, easy to read, no particle effect spam, and everything worked. When I charged somene it did it flawlessly every time, no skill lag (Im looking at you earthshaker), etc. So no it is not just marketing but this is OT.

"No-grind philosophy"

Vayne.8563

@Devata

Not rly… I downloaded the starter edition (free until lvl 20) yesterday and I almost bought WoD after just 2 hours of game play… AFTER 5 years after I quit. Leveling to lvl 15 was fast and fun (devs pls play it too and then come back to your NPE just for lolz).

What almost got me was PvP, easy to read, no particle effect spam, and everything worked. When I charged somene it did it flawlessly every time, no skill lag (Im looking at you earthshaker), etc. So no it is not just marketing but this is OT.

And I know other people here who have posted and hated it. And other people that have posted here, came to Guild Wars 2 even recently and fallen in love even at low levels.

All it means is that you personally like that game. But you’re on an MMO forum. I bet the majority of WoW players have never posted on an MMO forum.

"No-grind philosophy"

Posted by: Lheimroo.2947

Lheimroo.2947

I seriously hope this grind accusation and the ascended griping follow this company for years. It would serve ‘em right changing their whole game philosophy to the boring grindy normal kitten two months after having sold the game on ’non-grind’.

But, hey, hey, let’s not be bitter here. Apparently you can choose not to engage in the vast majority of objectives there are to obtain in this game, and then your game is grind-free!

But wait, it gets better. Anet gets to pull a definition out of their kitten that is nothing to do with the common parlance and have half of the people just accept it.

But let’s be thankful for the pittance of horizontal progression we’ve gotten in what was sold to us as a horizontal-progression-based MMO. Maybe once we pay for HoT it’ll finally be there, huh?

(edited by Lheimroo.2947)

"No-grind philosophy"

aerial.7021

But let’s be thankful for the pittance of horizontal progression we’ve gotten in what was sold to us as a horizontal-progression-based MMO. Maybe once we pay for HoT it’ll finally be there, huh?

cough wouldn’t be the first time… I’m guilty too.

"No-grind philosophy"

Posted by: Loiterer.4235

Loiterer.4235

Vayne, I have to ask…

Did WoW shoot your dog or something?

All throughout the thread you’ve been desperately trying to prove that it’s a bad game and in the process made statements that were hilariously untrue. Like how big of an influence the cash shop has or how it only retains the player numbers it does because of advertising. You seem to know nothing about the game.

Let me tell you, a lot of WoW players heard about GW2. A significant amount have played it even. The mmo-champion.com forum, the go-to site for WoW related news and discussions, has an entire section dedicated to this game.

If GW2 was the gaming heaven you make it out to be, trust me, only the most staunch Blizzard supporters would stay with WoW. But no matter how much folk parrot that the entire game is end-game in GW2, it still won’t make the lack of content any better. If in WoW the entire leveling process consisted of questing in Kalimdor and then the end-game would be repeating those quests, not many would pay the subscription price for more than a couple months.

Which is what happened with GW2. It launched with great hype, a lot of people bought it but then once it became obvious that you’ll be repeating the same (albeit wonderful) content ad nauseum both while you level and after you leveled with minimal rewards to boot, the players started dropping off.

That’s why the grind is so much more obvious and painful here. The only permanent zones added were Southsun Cove and Dry Top. Other than those, we’ve been killing the exact same dredges, giants, risens, sons of svanir, flame legion charrs and what not in the exact same zones for the past three years. With all of them having a rather similar and largely worthless loot table.

If this is how no grind looks like then I’d like to ask Arenanet to give us some grind, please.

Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It’s not.

"No-grind philosophy"

Vayne.8563

Vayne, I have to ask…

Did WoW shoot your dog or something?

All throughout the thread you’ve been desperately trying to prove that it’s a bad game and in the process made statements that were hilariously untrue. Like how big of an influence the cash shop has or how it only retains the player numbers it does because of advertising. You seem to know nothing about the game.

Let me tell you, a lot of WoW players heard about GW2. A significant amount have played it even. The mmo-champion.com forum, the go-to site for WoW related news and discussions, has an entire section dedicated to this game.

If GW2 was the gaming heaven you make it out to be, trust me, only the most staunch Blizzard supporters would stay with WoW. But no matter how much folk parrot that the entire game is end-game in GW2, it still won’t make the lack of content any better. If in WoW the entire leveling process consisted of questing in Kalimdor and then the end-game would be repeating those quests, not many would pay the subscription price for more than a couple months.

Which is what happened with GW2. It launched with great hype, a lot of people bought it but then once it became obvious that you’ll be repeating the same (albeit wonderful) content ad nauseum both while you level and after you leveled with minimal rewards to boot, the players started dropping off.

That’s why the grind is so much more obvious and painful here. The only permanent zones added were Southsun Cove and Dry Top. Other than those, we’ve been killing the exact same dredges, giants, risens, sons of svanir, flame legion charrs and what not in the exact same zones for the past three years. With all of them having a rather similar and largely worthless loot table.

If this is how no grind looks like then I’d like to ask Arenanet to give us some grind, please.

Oh please. There are as many people who hate WoW as love it, including some people who used to play it. Yes, it’s popular. There are lots of things popular.

I don’t like what WoW did to the MMO industry. It’s very success took the genre in a direction I don’t like for years, because everyone copied it. All I had to choose from WoW and a bunch of other WOWs.

This is the first game I felt wasn’t like that. You want maybe I should throw WoW a party?

I don’t like what it did to the genre and I’m so not alone in that. You can pretend everyone likes WoW, but that wouldn’t explain the pages on the net dedicated to WoW hate.

"No-grind philosophy"

naiasonod.9265

Wow is the best wow out there, IMO. Many things try to bre like it, and some go their own way enough to wine up interesting in their own rights (looking at you LotrO and RIFT), but as tired of raidy-treadmill games as I am, if I had to go back to any I’ve played based on quality of content alone, it’d be WoW.

That said, I would sooner quit mmoing altogether them go back to wow. GW2 here has its various carrots on obnoxious strings for those that like that sort of thing to chase, and that’s fine. I’ve chased none of them. I never will. I don’t have to here to do a great deal of what I want to and get most everything I want to get.

I think they have a heck of a lot of optional grind, and I don’t care what they want to call it. Farming, grind, dancing the hoola – there is absolutely a lot of carrots to chase here, and if you’re someone that has a neurotic inability to let a carrot to unchased, this game might feel like Grind Central Station indeed.

If something you want is gated behind one of their grindy ‘not-grinds because you don’t need™ it’, you’re probably not going to feel like they’re doing anything but mocking you by saying they have a no grind philosophy.

In that respect, you’re going to have to make a hard choice. Dial back on what you’re letting yourself want and shoot for things more within the reach you’ll enjoy extending, or buy yourself a ticket at Grind Central Station and get on whatever carrot chasing train you’re willing to accept the cost to ride.

You can’t change everything in life. This is probably going to be I’ve of those things you can either change yourself in response to, accept as it is or walk away.

"No-grind philosophy"

Posted by: Loiterer.4235

Loiterer.4235

I don’t like what WoW did to the MMO industry. It’s very success took the genre in a direction I don’t like for years, because everyone copied it. All I had to choose from WoW and a bunch of other WOWs.

You, as a GW2 supporter, don’t like that WoW made MMOs more accessible? I’m somewhat confused here. Because that’s what it did to the industry. It pretty much copied EverQuest and tweaked it here and there but its largest contribution to the MMO scene back then was that it was far more casual than any of its competitors.

You can pretend everyone likes WoW

I literally never said that.

but that wouldn’t explain the pages on the net dedicated to WoW hate

GW2 has pages of hate dedicated to it too. Your point is what exactly?

I get it. You hate WoW. You believe it to be some sort of curse that is the sole reason for other games of the genre to not succeed. I’m not that big of a fan of it either, not since WOTLK ended, but I certainly won’t blame it when other games I was hopeful about (GW2, Wildstar, ArchAge, ESO) fail to deliver and fall short of their own promises and marketing hype.

Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It’s not.

"No-grind philosophy"

Posted by: KarlaGrey.5903

KarlaGrey.5903

GW grind is not even on the same galaxy as the grind in this game, buddy. Not to mention that farming whatever content in GW heydays usually meant making/using ingenious builds in an unorthodox manner, so it was not exactly a mind-numbing experience. It was actually rather challenging to farm for whatever with a build you’ve made yourself, or looked it up, but more often than not, and depending what you chose to go after, farming was rewarding, because not all high-end items had a 0,00000…1% drop chance, and a single mo/nec duo run to UW would net a few ecto minimum.

Also, to refrain from repeating myself on your argument of need, I’ll copy paste a part of my older post:
If something is not needed, if might as well not be there to start with. Ascended doesn’t add anything to the game, and it would be a win-win situation if exotics would be bumped up to ascended level in terms of stats.
If anyone wants to complain about this, remember, the gear wasn’t needed to start with – outside fractals, that is (the agony resistance should stay intact).
To at least somewhat justify the cost, I would also make the gear ‘slotted’, i.e. have the ability to swap out, with no additional cost, the stats/runes according to your current needs and desires – exactly like the gear functions in pvp.

Adding such functionality would at least somewhat justify the brain and mental damage most players have to experience in the process. Naturally, decreasing the overall cost goes without saying, because it’s still massively blown out of proportions.

RIP ‘gf left me coz of ladderboard’ Total views: 71,688 Total posts: 363

"No-grind philosophy"

Vayne.8563

You, as a GW2 supporter, don’t like that WoW made MMOs more accessible? I’m somewhat confused here. Because that’s what it did to the industry. It pretty much copied EverQuest and tweaked it here and there but its largest contribution to the MMO scene back then was that it was far more casual than any of its competitors.

You can pretend everyone likes WoW

I literally never said that.

but that wouldn’t explain the pages on the net dedicated to WoW hate

GW2 has pages of hate dedicated to it too. Your point is what exactly?

I get it. You hate WoW. You believe it to be some sort of curse that is the sole reason for other games of the genre to not succeed. I’m not that big of a fan of it either, not since WOTLK ended, but I certainly won’t blame it when other games I was hopeful about (GW2, Wildstar, ArchAge, ESO) fail to deliver and fall short of their own promises and marketing hype.

I don’t like what WoW did the the MMO industry. I don’t like how WoW made the MMO industry more accessible any more than I like how Hollywood made movies bigger blockbusters or how Madison Avenue destroyed publishing by bringing out yet another celebrity cookbook.

WoW took the genre in a different direction from where it started and many don’t consider that a positive direction. If you like it, well I’m happy for you. WoW is the Big Brother of MMOs. Lots of people watching something doesn’t make it good.

WoW has lost more players than Guild Wars 2 will probably ever have. That should say something.

"No-grind philosophy"

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

Well it seems like Anet has some problem with everything they introduce, or change for that matter. With every positive they have some negative to comes with it.

It’s what I referred to before in this thread here: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/No-grind-philosophy/page/8#post4741950

So I would not say it was just that changes they made where bad or anything but everything seems to have a negative going along with the positive.
As somebody who in MMO’s cares about cosmetics the game at release at seemed fine only the mini not being in the game was a drawback.. something I also did only find out later. I knew they had that one set in the cash-shop but figured many other would be in the world.
Turned out not to be true (but as long as this one set in the cash-shop was it, it would have been fine). Also the crafting is something I usually like but because there are no really fun crafts (and the hunt for recipe’s is not really a thing in GW2) I didn’t like that in GW2 but overall the game was fun and refreshing (compared to other mmo’s).
However the older it came the worse it got. The lack of cosmetic end-game while at the same time the cash-shop got more and more of it (so the grind got created that way) wasn’t really a positive. For other people It was the ascended stuff they disliked.

And look at all the feature patches. They added some great stuff but also at points did some totally strange things like some of the NPE changes that are just bad.

Personally I blame this part on their approach of being different for the sake of being different. For example go back to the quest vs dynamic events. They wanted to be new and refreshing so came with events, a true great solution but it simply cannot completely replace quest so why do so? All I can think of because they desperately want to be different. Now they could say they had an MMO without quest. That is unique.
That is then also what I do wonder about in the expansion. On paper everything sounds great and there goal to be original and innovative again seemed to have resulted in some truly amazing stuff But I am really hoping it does not again come with a drawback simply because they want to go one step to far. Things you will find out a few months / half a year later.

And what you will then see is that other games will copy these good idea’s but without going too far and so using Anet’s idea’s to get themselves a better product.

I hope Anet have gotten to their senses if it comes to this and hope in HoT they do find a good balance between new and innovative but not just being different for the sake of it. Remove the grind and make hunting cosmetics in this games (build around cosmetics) fun so they will have a bigger chance holding people. Many people who left will come back for HoT, but if they get bored or disappointed again 6 months after release of HoT they will be gone and you are not likely to ever see them back, also not for the 3th expansions.
So Anet better get HoT right, solving the grind problem is imho an important part of that (something I think they underestimate), what is also why this thread is so important. Anet did improve GW2 over the years but at the same time also made it worse on other parts. So let’s hope they really get HoP right. Again, on paper it’s all great but now let’s hope they also get in great in practice. Not being blinded by the cash-shop focus, not trying to go with quick and dirty solutions and not being blinded by being different for the sake of being different. (In my vision the 3 core problems Anet has that results in the most of the problems GW2 seems to have).

"No-grind philosophy"

Tobias Trueflight.8350

GW grind is not even on the same galaxy as the grind in this game, buddy.

Gamer title track, Lucky/Wisdom/Treasure Hunter title tracks, pursuit of a full Monument of Valor or Resilience, and for the oldschool – Obsidian Armor.

If you want to claim no statistical advantage out of those, Lucky/Treasure Hunter affects a considerable amount when it comes to the lockpicking. And Wisdom was very useful for retaining items after salvaging out upgrades.

It’s in the same galaxy, at least.

Not to mention that farming whatever content in GW heydays usually meant making/using ingenious builds in an unorthodox manner, so it was not exactly a mind-numbing experience.

This usually resulted in people making those builds, then posting them, and others carbon-copying them. And it was mind-numbingly boring, running trapper-Ranger on the tengu for Feathers. Especially since it wasn’t all that difficult to stay alive, come to think of it.

It was actually rather challenging to farm for whatever with a build you’ve made yourself, or looked it up, but more often than not, and depending what you chose to go after, farming was rewarding, because not all high-end items had a 0,00000…1% drop chance, and a single mo/nec duo run to UW would net a few ecto minimum.

Seven years and five Ectoplasm drops. And one Shard drop. I never saw any of the high-ticket skins except in Req 13 where nobody wanted them, and even then it was a Gothic Sword. Low on the list.

Not like my brother who led a charmed life with the RNG.

Honestly, GW was where I learned to stop wanting to do things for that chance at sweet reward loot and more for the heck of it. Especially the four hour Urgoz run, which was the most ill-fated fun I had in a game since the failed Sleeper’s Tomb raid I sat in on.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

"No-grind philosophy"

Tobias Trueflight.8350

plz plz plz tell us what you’re taking maybe a prescription ? So many more ppl can enjoy Gw2 the way you doo…

And remember “This is all in your mind.”

Speaking personally? It’s called perspective and patience, along with a heaping helping of veteran experience around MMOs and other games . . . computer or tabletop. You learn to realize your limits and do without.

I realize there is not enough skill in my body to actually beat “I Want To Be The Guy”, and so I don’t try. Ditto Battletoads.

I realize I will never speedrun Braid. That achievement will sit there until the Steam servers go down for the count. I’m okay with that.

I realize I will never own a real Black Lotus ; This placates the part of me wondering what I’d actually do if I had one other than try to keep it locked up somewhere nobody who knew I had it could get it.

I realize I will never, ever, get the hang of PvP in any game I play. This is why I avoided League of Legends until my brother needed a fifth for a team. (And sequentially, I uninstalled it when he found a more skilled fifth.)

Finally, I realize I will never, ever, ever find a female willing to put up with me. There’s a certain freedom once you stop worrying about that.

You know your limitations, and you work within them. Accept you will never have everything you might want, but try to get what it is you need. Accept you will never be the best at what you want to do, but still try to do the best you can without sacrificing everything else.

So, yes . . . it is all in my mind, and I’m okay with that.

"No-grind philosophy"

Posted by: serenke.4806

serenke.4806

GW grind is not even on the same galaxy as the grind in this game, buddy. Not to mention that farming whatever content in GW heydays usually meant making/using ingenious builds in an unorthodox manner, so it was not exactly a mind-numbing experience. It was actually rather challenging to farm for whatever with a build you’ve made yourself, or looked it up, but more often than not, and depending what you chose to go after, farming was rewarding, because not all high-end items had a 0,00000…1% drop chance, and a single mo/nec duo run to UW would net a few ecto minimum.

Karla please remove the pink glasses when it comes to GW1. The grind in GW1 was more real than in GW2 because you had no choice what you did to get something. For example, if you wanted to get ectos, you had to do the underworld, if you wanted obsidian shards, you had to do FoW. Also running every dungeon with 8 A/x with the same 4 first skills was hardly ingenious, if anything it was more dumb because half of your team’s skills were exactly the same.

It’s one thing if you are upset about ascended gear being present but it’s actually only required for one single instance (fractals 50) and since doing fractals 50 is not really worth doing since you get more gold from AC in less time, there is no real advantage there.

Also, following the same “no grind” policy, you can get ascended gear from any part of the game PvP, WvW and PvE without ever crafting anything.

"No-grind philosophy"

Vayne.8563

I don’t get some of you at all. I play this game with no ascended gear and, I don’t know about you, but I do dungeons, WvW, run around Orr. There’s NOTHING gated in this game that makes you grind if you don’t want to. Don’t have a ring or a backpack? So? This is all in your mind. You don’t need this stuff to play the game.

More to the point, most of the dailies are stuff I get just doing other stuff anyway. I mean rezzing people? Really? Crafting 10 ingots?

Grind is a state of mind. I played Guild Wars 1 for five years and PLENTY of people grinded in Guild Wars. They farmed ectos in the underworld, they did voltaic spear runs, speed clears of dungeons. They farmed faction for Luxon and Kurzick rank. Anyone who thinks there was no grind in Guild Wars 1 probably didn’t play as much as they think. But all that grind was voluntary.

The same is true here. You CAN grind, if you want. Or you can just play the game. Without even trying to get dailies, 90% of the time I got it without knowing I was going to. It just happened. I’d go around, kill stuff, do events and by the end of my play time I had my daily.

Today my daily consisted of 13 kill types, 60 kills, 10 rezzes, 15 dodges and 20 gathering.

The gather, and 60 kills is a no brainer. Dodging 15 times…in the course of a gaming session I’ll dodge a lot more than that. It’s not really hard. And NPCs are lying around dead all over the place…in end zones, in outposts that have been taken over, in certain hearts and events, so rezz ten of them. How in the name of Lyssa is that grind? Kill types? The only way you won’t get 13 kill types is if you never leave Orr. You can get them in WvW, or PVe pretty much wherever you are. Don’t forget to kill mosquitos, rabbits and those other zero level creatures, because they count.

I saw some people were complaining about a crafting daily. You can get it by making 10 of any kind of ingot. It requires almost no time to farm copper or leather, just by playing in a starter zone and then make your stuff.

I just don’t get it. You know, I’ve played games with grind. And what made those games grind was the gating of content. If you wanted to do dungeons in Rift, you HAD TO have a minimum stat. You couldn’t even queue for the dungeon if you didn’t exceed that stat. So to get into the dungeon and experience that content, you had to grind. You had to get the required gear. That situation simply doesn’t exist in Guild Wars 2.

This game isn’t going in the wrong direction. People simply have forgotten what actual grind is.

Its smth that i found in your oldest posts and lol i must admit “Grind is a state of mind.” i can agree too that just plz plz plz tell us what you’re taking maybe a prescription ? So many more ppl can enjoy Gw2 the way you doo…

That’s the funny bit. Lots of people, including people in this very thread, DO enjoy Guild Wars 2 the way I do. Isn’t that odd?

I’m patient. I don’t need everything today. Maybe because I’m not a kid anymore. I don’t need to farm for a legendary. I play the game and eventually, I’ll get something I need for it and squirrel it away. Why do I need a legendary today? How does that change the game for me?

I have five legendaries now. But I did very little grinding, in my opinion. I waited till I got stuff and sold stuff I got and bought stuff off the trading post that I needed. I mean I did have to run 9 dungeons, you could call that grind, but I didn’t run them in a row. It took me months because I waited till someone in the guild wanted to run it.

That’s what I mean by a state of mind.

"No-grind philosophy"

Posted by: serenke.4806

serenke.4806

I’m patient. I don’t need everything today. Maybe because I’m not a kid anymore. I don’t need to farm for a legendary. I play the game and eventually, I’ll get something I need for it and squirrel it away. Why do I need a legendary today? How does that change the game for me?

This should be stickied somewhere so that there is less complaining about “grind”.

"No-grind philosophy"

naiasonod.9265

Cool stuff worth reading

I couldn’t agree more. Kids these days have an awful lot of ‘I Believe I Can Fly’ stuck in their heads, and that’s great. Real confidence isn’t built on wishful thinking and a monumentally front-loaded seeming of ego with nothing but hot air to back it.

I will never be great at PvP. I will never be willing to do all the things it takes to make a legendary under current methods. I will probably never solo dungeon paths like some of my guildmates do – duo’ing seems to be my personal skill cap for that sort of thing.

I will never be magazine-cover handsome. I will never own a skyscraper. I will never get to go to space. I will never be as amazing in my own career as some darn well are.

Things like this, kids today seem to think is ‘accepting failure’. There’s this tragic mindset that ‘second place is the first loser’ that’s gotten nothing but increasingly rampant the older I get, and I don’t see much good coming from that sort of jockeyed-up pretending towards super-alpha machismo.

I don’t quite know what to call the phenomena of it, but one of my friends’ kids has got a bad case of it, and he’ll probably never be happy because of it. He grew up with this ambition in his head that he was going to be the best at everything he did, and up until he joined the U.S Marines, he’d gone through highschool doing a pretty good job of living up to his own expectations.

Then he joined the Marines, and he learned firsthand that he was nowhere near the strongest, the fastest, the toughest or the most anything at all out of a lot of people.

As I understand, he is not taking those harsh life-lessons well. His father; my friend; is kinda heartbroken, because when he saw his boy this last Christmas, all he said he saw was ‘a young man that’d never allowed himself to be second place in his life having to learn how to accept that he wasn’t the biggest boy in the neighborhood he’d moved into anymore, and never would be again’.

His dad’s kinda heartbroken about it, because he’s proud of his son for a lot of reasons, none of them to do with his having been ‘the best’ at football or had ‘the best’ run times in track or any of that.

His son? Incapable of being proud of what he has. I see that a lot in a lot of the young men that my own company’s starting to hire in too. They’re ambitious, and ambition is grand, but there’s something horribly vital that’s just not there in most cases.

They want to be proud. So badly, they’re hungry to be proud. But they’re not proud. Frankly, I think they’re scared out of their minds. I know I was when I was barely out of highschool and having to actually go forth like I knew what I was doing.

I didn’t have this notion in my head that I was garbage if I wasn’t the best though. I didn’t have some Super DudeBro idea beat into my skull that ‘second place was the first loser’. When I’d pull a 96% on a final in a class I had trouble with, I didn’t have a meltdown in the corner because it wasn’t 100%.

Yet, I’ve seen that happen too. There’s something in the figurative water these days that’s teaching our kids that if they’re not the best, they’re garbage. And it all seems to be to come back to that phrase I’ve learned to loath – ‘Second place is the first loser’.

No. It isn’t. And if someone lets themselves believe that way, life is going to be one very miserable lesson in just how mediocre most of us truly are at almost everything we ever even try to do, let alone don’t try that hard to be any good at at all.

"No-grind philosophy"

Devata.6589

= no grind!!!

/Thread

He does not say he love raids (so those other games would possibly also not what I preferred) but he says this is even worse. Making that statement by saying he would rather do raids, something he also dislikes. That’s how I read it.

However, what he hits here is the exact issue and your comment is not really helpful. Suggesting he should leave.. If they all leave (and they might have) it’s a problem for the game don’t you think.

So instead of suggesting that you better find out what he dislikes. What he expected when Anet promised no grind. He is at no point saying the current grind should be replaced by raid rewarding everything because that’s the way to do it. Then I would sort of understand your comment.

(edited by Devata.6589)

"No-grind philosophy"

Vayne.8563

= no grind!!!

/Thread

He does not say he love raid (so those other games would possibly also not what I preferred) but he says this is even worse. Making that statement by saying he would rather do raids, something he also dislikes. That’s how I read it.

However, what he hits here is the exact issue and your comment is not really helpful. Suggesting he should leave.. If they all leave (and they might have) it’s a problem for the game don’t you think.

So instead of suggesting that you better find out what he dislikes. What he expected when Anet promised no grind. He is at no point saying the current grind should be replaced by raid rewarding everything because that’s the way to do it. Then I would sort of understand your comment.

I’ve questioned your logic from time to time but this logic is the worst yet.

First of all, if I opened a vegetarian restaurant, and someone didn’t like that, they probably shouldn’t be eating here.

This game, at this point, is relatively clearly defined. That is, ascended gear was introduced more than two years ago. The grind for it is what it was two years ago, except in some ways it’s less because so many of us have a boatload of ascended materials now. At least for weapons it’s not much of a grind anymore. I have everything.

The point is, Anet isn’t going to take this vegetarian restaurant and make it a steakhouse. Changing the game to make certain people like it, might be others hate it. I don’t see why people don’t understand that.

I took his post at face value. He likes stuff that’s in other games. He should go play them. This is a normal logical suggestion. I don’t like opera so I don’t watch opera. I don’t go into operas and try to get them to be rock concerts.

"No-grind philosophy"

Devata.6589

= no grind!!!

/Thread

Oow that is really nice, so you are willing to think what the stats people like but heey screw those that care about cosmetics. Give them the boring currency and time-gated grind you don’t want.

You know why I am not asking for P2W? You see, I don’t care for PvP and stats are not that interesting for me in an MMO (For PvP (not talking about WvW) I prefer a FPS where skill is important, not the armor or build you have). So them making money on stats selling the best gear for PvP would not even hurt me a little and if they made money that way they could maybe put the cosmetics in the game so I can have fun with them.

But I do not suggest something like that because I know it would hurt the people who care about PvP and stats. So it would be nice if you guys, stat guys, would also think about those who care about cosmetics. Especially in a game that’s all about cosmetics.

"No-grind philosophy"

KarlaGrey.5903

Gamer title track, Lucky/Wisdom/Treasure Hunter title tracks, pursuit of a full Monument of Valor or Resilience, and for the oldschool – Obsidian Armor.

Lucky/unlucky titles can be obtained literally by afking in the lottery rings during special events. HoM is just a random add-on for GW2 purposes, and as such completely irrelevant to GW. Obsi armor can be obtained at a steady pace (talking months here, not years)through various means, and ecto drop rate wasn’t a 0.0000…1% chance, so a normal duo farm nets a few each time, while a full party clearing the zone likely got quite a few more in total. And to repeat myself, there was no time gating, so if you got a lucky drop from w/e and sold it for a nice buck, you could obtain it even faster. And once more, the drop rates aren’t nearly as abysmal as they are on GW2. Oh and did I mention there was no wasteful crafting to further bog you down?

If you want to claim no statistical advantage out of those, Lucky/Treasure Hunter affects a considerable amount when it comes to the lockpicking. And Wisdom was very useful for retaining items after salvaging out upgrades.

As long as I hit the next guy/mob as hard as the GWAMM guy next to me and have the same chance of loot as him, I don’t mind it at all. Also, your point on wisdom title is void now that players can use the perfect salvaging kit. Before it, you simply salvaged the inscription you wanted and hoped you’d retain the item, or simply replace upgrades with others, if item skin was what you were after…

It’s in the same galaxy, at least.

It honestly is not.

This usually resulted in people making those builds, then posting them, and others carbon-copying them. And it was mind-numbingly boring, running trapper-Ranger on the tengu for Feathers. Especially since it wasn’t all that difficult to stay alive, come to think of it.

You can always try places that are more difficult to stay alive, if doing the same thing over felt boring to you. I’m sure there are plenty of places more rewarding than tengu-inhabited zones.

Seven years and five Ectoplasm drops. And one Shard drop. I never saw any of the high-ticket skins except in Req 13 where nobody wanted them, and even then it was a Gothic Sword. Low on the list.

Hyperbole much? I had around 7 shard drops in duo FoW just a few weeks ago with a friend. After that run I had a 5 drop run+ gold items. I do hope you’re not passing your judgement off a single or a couple of runs where you got the short end of the loot stick.

Honestly, GW was where I learned to stop wanting to do things for that chance at sweet reward loot and more for the heck of it. Especially the four hour Urgoz run, which was the most ill-fated fun I had in a game since the failed Sleeper’s Tomb raid I sat in on.

Funny, my experience seems to be almost the polar opposite of yours, which is why I tend to hold other mmos to such high standards and frown upon gear threadmills, gear-critical pvp, rigid class roles and lack of concepts such as body blocking, preprotting, smiting, active interrupting, linebacking, etc.

(edited by KarlaGrey.5903)

"No-grind philosophy"

aerial.7021

Karla please remove the pink glasses when it comes to GW1. The grind in GW1 was more real than in GW2 because you had no choice what you did to get something. For example, if you wanted to get ectos, you had to do the underworld, if you wanted obsidian shards, you had to do FoW. Also running every dungeon with 8 A/x with the same 4 first skills was hardly ingenious, if anything it was more dumb because half of your team’s skills were exactly the same.

Hold your horses there buddy, I don’t mean to nit pick or anything but you didn’t have to do underword/fow for ecto & shards, you could go farm some place for gold and buy them off the merchant, that’s how I got my first Obsidian Armor I farmed all over the place, constant farming up and down (solo) beckon’s perch to droknar’s forge in hard mode, it got so bad I had to buy a 2nd account and bring along my other account to haul the goods back to the merchant.

It may have been a grind took many hours to clear the maps but it was a challenge! you left the portals with a feeling of anticipation and excitement can I really make it that far with my 55.

"No-grind philosophy"

KarlaGrey.5903

No choice? wut. Getting ascended leaves you with no choice but crafting. Getting obsidian gives you loads of choices now, and had quite a few options back then, too. You could go to whatever zone where rare items dropped, or collect and sell/salvage standard mats for money and then purchase ecto/shards from other player, for example. With zaishen keys and reward chests now dropping from all 3 pvp formats, you can easily sell trade those for said items. There is no pink glasses, bud, I still play the game on a daily basis.
As for assassins, shadow form is an abomination that ought being nerfed to the ground or reworked in a way that doesn’t trivialize all pve content. If anything, it made farming for the rarest items quite a joke, and is most definitely not something I support.

It’s one thing if you are upset about ascended gear being present but it’s actually only required for one single instance (fractals 50) and since doing fractals 50 is not really worth doing since you get more gold from AC in less time, there is no real advantage there.

Also, following the same “no grind” policy, you can get ascended gear from any part of the game PvP, WvW and PvE without ever crafting anything.

Unintentionally you have pointed out a critical flaw in the rewarding system, where the most challenging content gives mediocre rewards.
Also, to refrain from repeating myself on on the whole need/required part, I’ll once again paste a part of my older post:
If something is not needed, if might as well not be there to start with. Ascended doesn’t add anything to the game, and it would be a win-win situation if exotics would be bumped up to ascended level in terms of stats.
If anyone wants to complain about this, remember, the gear wasn’t needed to start with – outside fractals, that is (the agony resistance should stay intact).
To at least somewhat justify the cost, I would also make the gear ‘slotted’, i.e. have the ability to swap out, with no additional cost, the stats/runes according to your current needs and desires – exactly like the gear functions in pvp.

And like aerial said, you could go do w/e you wanted to and make solid income, depending on the activity, because the game isn’t as unrewarding as GW2. Not to mention rewards in GW scale with difficulty, unlike the case is here.

"No-grind philosophy"

Devata.6589

I don’t get some of you at all. I play this game with no ascended gear and, I don’t know about you, but I do dungeons, WvW, run around Orr. There’s NOTHING gated in this game that makes you grind if you don’t want to. Don’t have a ring or a backpack? So? This is all in your mind. You don’t need this stuff to play the game.

More to the point, most of the dailies are stuff I get just doing other stuff anyway. I mean rezzing people? Really? Crafting 10 ingots?

Grind is a state of mind. I played Guild Wars 1 for five years and PLENTY of people grinded in Guild Wars. They farmed ectos in the underworld, they did voltaic spear runs, speed clears of dungeons. They farmed faction for Luxon and Kurzick rank. Anyone who thinks there was no grind in Guild Wars 1 probably didn’t play as much as they think. But all that grind was voluntary.

The same is true here. You CAN grind, if you want. Or you can just play the game. Without even trying to get dailies, 90% of the time I got it without knowing I was going to. It just happened. I’d go around, kill stuff, do events and by the end of my play time I had my daily.

Today my daily consisted of 13 kill types, 60 kills, 10 rezzes, 15 dodges and 20 gathering.

The gather, and 60 kills is a no brainer. Dodging 15 times…in the course of a gaming session I’ll dodge a lot more than that. It’s not really hard. And NPCs are lying around dead all over the place…in end zones, in outposts that have been taken over, in certain hearts and events, so rezz ten of them. How in the name of Lyssa is that grind? Kill types? The only way you won’t get 13 kill types is if you never leave Orr. You can get them in WvW, or PVe pretty much wherever you are. Don’t forget to kill mosquitos, rabbits and those other zero level creatures, because they count.

I saw some people were complaining about a crafting daily. You can get it by making 10 of any kind of ingot. It requires almost no time to farm copper or leather, just by playing in a starter zone and then make your stuff.

I just don’t get it. You know, I’ve played games with grind. And what made those games grind was the gating of content. If you wanted to do dungeons in Rift, you HAD TO have a minimum stat. You couldn’t even queue for the dungeon if you didn’t exceed that stat. So to get into the dungeon and experience that content, you had to grind. You had to get the required gear. That situation simply doesn’t exist in Guild Wars 2.

This game isn’t going in the wrong direction. People simply have forgotten what actual grind is.

Its smth that i found in your oldest posts and lol i must admit “Grind is a state of mind.” i can agree too that just plz plz plz tell us what you’re taking maybe a prescription ? So many more ppl can enjoy Gw2 the way you doo…

The thread itself is also interesting. It’s about somebody being afraid the game is going to much in the direction of more grind. Some other people in there agreeing and even the cash-shop as reason is already mentioned there (not by me). Looks like they were right and who knows, they might be among the people GW2 loses so getting them back surely seems to be in solving the grind-problem.

"No-grind philosophy"

Devata.6589

I have five legendaries now. But I did very little grinding, in my opinion. I waited till I got stuff and sold stuff I got and bought stuff off the trading post that I needed. I mean I did have to run 9 dungeons, you could call that grind, but I didn’t run them in a row. It took me months because I waited till someone in the guild wanted to run it.

That’s what I mean by a state of mind.

2 problems here. There are a lot of cosmetics and it will only become more. Just waiting till you earn it is not really an option.. not only if you want them all but also if you want multiple.

Secondly “I got stuff and sold stuff I got and bought stuff off the trading post that I needed.” Yeah you see, that is what some people consider boring. Where is the hunt for it? It’s get ‘stuff’ sell it and then buy the things you want / need.

This way can still be a way but the hunt way should also be available and it’s not. Where is the ‘play the way you want’ if you want to hunt these items down in the world? It’s not in any viable way there.. so if you want to actively chase those items, grinding (gold) is the only real option. But the that option is one many people dislike. What results in so many people saying this game is a grind.

(edited by Devata.6589)