Play for Free Confirmed [merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Undermine.5391

Undermine.5391

There is also Party Chat which carries less commitment to a guild.

Posted by: Dikeido.8436

Dikeido.8436

as a veteran of 3 years im not very happy about free to play only ONLY due to the bots that will overrun the world, that’s it
but if i bought the game 2 months ago and its free now its a bummer if its 3 months what ever.

Raids
end of the world

Way to jump the gun. Good job son good job.

Posted by: Taiyoroku.1028

Taiyoroku.1028

Free accounts can also not send items or gold to other accounts…

My god it’s like people are literly braindead, READ THE RESTRICTIONS then comment.

1. Farm 100k Gold on a Free Account.
2. Upgrade on a Weekend and sell it for way more than the code did cost.
3. Repeat.

Oh who could possibly have tought of this.

Not to mention that there’s absolutely no limit to scam of any sort left.

This is actually an interesting argument, but allow me to expand of this.
You will need to agree to one of these two statements:
You think that anet’s anti-bot system is unreliable
You think that anet’s anti-bot system is reliable

Now, the scenario is as you said, you would farm non stop on this f2p account till it has insane riches/gear/loot. However, the only way you would ever get this to connect to the economy would be to upgrade the account (which I would argue is anet’s objective to this whole f2p ordeal).

Now, assuming you agree with the first statement, you or the gold sellers manage to get away, make some money off of this method and life’s good. But then what is the difference if you had just bought an account in the first place, botted it, made money and sold whatever to whoever?

On the other hand if you agree with the second statement then you know this plot you cooked up won’t fly.

I’m interested in your thoughts since I’m actually pessimistic of anet’s anti-bot system but other than a safety net for botting business, at the end of the day they would still buy HoT; money rolls in sooner or later.

well i think your argument answer it self “But then what is the difference if you had just bought an account in the first place, botted it, made money and sold whatever to whoever?” if the anty-bot system is bad enough (for the Chinese gold farming masters) if you get banned, well make another account and start again witout losing any money cause is all virtual, if you make like 100k on 7 accounts without the risk of loosing anything if you get banned them spend a little bucks (considering your getting hot for the minimum price) you can pretty much F-up the economy, couse the TP have no restriction on trading gold for gems or the amount of things you can buy on there (on pay accounts) them people would say but there’s even a 500g limitation to mail (gold spammers don’t care about that, its free anyway) but you can change gold for ectos and plenty of oter t5 t6 materials, so economy can be at risk… you can identify hacking and gold selling easy before, now i don’t think so so much, so yea the people that is actually concern about this have real arguments to see why f2p is bad and even dangerous.

Posted by: Undermine.5391

Undermine.5391

Real Money Traders need Whisper ;p

Posted by: Black.2150

Black.2150

well i think your argument answer it self “But then what is the difference if you had just bought an account in the first place, botted it, made money and sold whatever to whoever?” if the anty-bot system is bad enough (for the Chinese gold farming masters) if you get banned, well make another account and start again witout losing any money cause is all virtual, if you make like 100k on 7 accounts without the risk of loosing anything if you get banned them spend a little bucks (considering your getting hot for the minimum price) you can pretty much F-up the economy, couse the TP have no restriction on trading gold for gems or the amount of things you can buy on there (on pay accounts) them people would say but there’s even a 500g limitation to mail (gold spammers don’t care about that, its free anyway) but you can change gold for ectos and plenty of oter t5 t6 materials, so economy can be at risk… you can identify hacking and gold selling easy before, now i don’t think so so much, so yea the people that is actually concern about this have real arguments to see why f2p is bad and even dangerous.

You didn’t address my statement that you would still technically have to pay for HoT in order for whatever these materials you have botted to connect to the economy. Again, if anet’s anti-bot system is unreliable then there’s no difference if you had just bought the account now. Let me repeat – money rolls in for them, sooner or later.

You do mention that buying HoT on a minimum price (like those 75% sale) and its true, but its up to speculation when that date would be. Someone correct me on this if I’m wrong but it took years before gw2 went on a sale like that. Is this an easy business scheme? Or the kind only a select few that could monetize on this opportunity. If only a select few get away with this (as there will always be exceptions to any rule) then its impact on the economy would be minimal. Does not count.

On the other had you said there’s no loss for you if f2p accounts got banned since they were f2p. But is this truly the case from a business perspective? Getting 100k through botting (not tp-flipping etc) arguably takes time and resources and I’m not sure if its something that even chinese gold sellers can just shrug off like that. Bearing in mind too that f2p accounts will have very limited options to monetize their loot by selling via TP until they upgrade. I will confess I have zero experience with botting so I’m very ignorant with such matters so anyone can correct me on this.

You didn’t really address my main argument directly. Also as I pointed out I’m sure there will be select individuals that might find a loophole to profit out of this but exceptions don’t invalidate the rule. Lastly, based on my counter arguments I would say that these “concerns” of why the f2p model is bad are very weak arguments at best.

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

the guild im part of well one of them, went out in force and welcomed new members to the game in Plains of Ashford, it was pretty fun!

That was positively awesome. Thanks to you and your guild — and the many others who did that!

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: Warcanz.2704

Warcanz.2704

Payed real money for free 2 play game FML

Posted by: fredthefaillord.8341

fredthefaillord.8341

I was spammed 5 times in under 2 minutes in Lion’s Arch, reported and blocked each one. This is going to get tiring. ANet needs to implement an option to block whispers from free players.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

What I have read looks like one of the better, perhaps the best, FtP models I have seen to date.

What is offered for free is very substantial and should serve to provide a sufficiently expansive gaming experience that those who are not in a position to pay $50 all at once might very well be inclined to occasionally spend a bit on gems. I will not be surprised if at least some will end up buying HoT.

The restrictions seem more targeted at minimizing potential negative impact of FtP on the existing player base than at squeezing money out of the new free players. I think that this is key. Creating an environment in which they want to spend money on a game they enjoy seems superior (IMO) to trying to drag money out of them for basic or QoL aspects.

I appreciate the potential for keeping the core game maps more active after HoT launches. I know that map rewards and perhaps even dailies can help with this but an influx of new blood who will be, for the most part, focused in the current maps means that they will not die out when much of the veteran player base has moved on to new zones.

Something to keep in mind here is that we, the veterans, the people who have been with the franchise for as much as a decade now, are the ones who get to set the tone of this new venture. By being welcoming, helpful, friendly, and generally a positive community we have the ability to shape all future interactions with the new arrivals. If they are met with hostility or indifference they won’t care to become part of what we have now. If they are embraced as much as many of us have been as we joined the game over the past three years they may very well like what they see and try to be part of it. Of course there will be troublemakers, but we have had those all along as well.

These new arrivals are not, “froobs,” or, “F2P scum,” or any of the other pejoratives that have been tossed around. They are people who want to play a game. Most of them are decent folk not really any different than you or I.

Posted by: hu dahala mei.6034

hu dahala mei.6034

let me see if i get this right.
1 i payed for the core game.
2 i payed for the expansion
3 now the core game is free
4 the only difference between me and a free player is some things like map chat i payed for in the core game and any new player that wants that only has to pay for the new expansion. am i correct?
if this is so then why should i ever pay for another expansion? i need only wait until its free! i have already paid for the map chat ect. with my paid account! had i known this i don’t know if i would have bought Heart of Thorns and only waited for it to be free in a few years!

Posted by: Morfedel.4165

Morfedel.4165

So i’ve played over 740 hours and just bought HOT. I’m very mad because they made gw2 f2p. So it’s like i’ve paid twice as much as new f2p players. I don’t think 740 hours is worth 60$. plz reimburse me plz. I did not enjoy any of those 740 hours u know. its like im getting rekt by anet. dont rekt me moar plz. 60$ for full expac + new content and new living story pretty much too high. i get moar value playing single player rpg for 20 hours. i dont get to play with friends in gw2. where is the fun? id rather pay 15 bucks a month to play WoW + 60$ each new expac. this is dumb. or id rather play ESO and having new dlc each 6 month for over 30$. my god. i feel betrayed for playing 3 years before it went f2p. ONLY 3 years. wow! You know, i wish anet would be working for free. PLZ.

Seriously, it is a very good move by anet. New players means more fun for everyone. Restriction seems to be well though too, limiting how it will affect existing players. I was afraid new expac would split playerbase like in gw1. But this announcement made me prepurchance HOT. Now I just wish they nerf DD ele. Cya ingame.

So wait, are you complaining or calling this a good move? I cant tell if you are just being sarcastic the first part the second part, joking serious, or what? Because you seem to be contradicting yourself.

Posted by: Samnang.1879

Samnang.1879

I turn off everything except party chat.

Tired of gold sellers whispering me.

Please nerf bag types instead of class skills!

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

4 the only difference between me and a free player is some things like map chat i payed for in the core game and any new player that wants that only has to pay for the new expansion. am i correct?
if this is so then why should i ever pay for another expansion? i need only wait until its free! i have already paid for the map chat ect. with my paid account! had i known this i don’t know if i would have bought Heart of Thorns and only waited for it to be free in a few years!

Why you should pay? The answer is simple: to play now. If you don’t want to pay, wait for the 6th expansion to be released, pay only for it, get the previous 5 exp for free and enjoy. The question is, can you wait?

Posted by: TJgalon.5012

TJgalon.5012

I for one welcome our new players. We are known as a pretty nice community, yet, all the stuff being thrown around saying F2P are not welcome and are scum is just wrong. Most players have not even done anything wrong yet, and we should encourage them to enjoy the game.

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

I explain the problem many of us have with F2P here
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/IGN-Tweet-Core-Game-F2P-what-does-this-mean-unconfirmed/5427635

We aren’t haters. We love the game and we’ve seen how much damage F2P can wreak on a game and its community. I am encouraged by the restrictions placed on the free accounts, but my points still stand.

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Who says that when the next expansion comes out that accounts with only the core game will get HoT for free? All they said is from now on a new paid account will include everything. Nothing about old ones being upgraded for free.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Xbon.9086

Xbon.9086

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/IGN-Tweet-Core-Game-F2P-what-does-this-mean-unconfirmed/5427635

We aren’t haters. We love the game and we’ve seen how much damage F2P can wreak on a game and its community. I am encouraged by the restrictions placed on the free accounts, but my points still stand.

I’m a long time player, and FTP is amazing for this game, this game is about player numbers and community, now maps should be more filled.

Posted by: Ragmon.6350

Ragmon.6350

Might as well complain about people getting the game on discount too, like my friend who got it with a 75% discount.
Its fair. Now a bit of digital love would be nice for veterans, but just a bit (some free cosmetics maybe).

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I was spammed 5 times in under 2 minutes in Lion’s Arch, reported and blocked each one. This is going to get tiring. ANet needs to implement an option to block whispers from free players.

I haven’t been whispered at all, and i’ve been in queensdale and DR a lot today.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: darkprecure.6129

darkprecure.6129

I don’t even think F2P players would be already at lvl 35 to get access to LA, to whisper someone. Your whispers come from old RTM Core Accounts for sure. Unless they grind the levels pretty fast, without WvW and only Starting Areas til lvl 15.

Posted by: pessimist.7294

pessimist.7294

I’m a long time player, and FTP is amazing for this game, this game is about player numbers and community, now maps should be more filled.

Yeah with bots. They will rush to lvl 80 and then take part at silverwaste or champtrain farm.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

I don’t even think F2P players would be already at lvl 35 to get access to LA, to whisper someone. Your whispers come from old RTM Core Accounts for sure. Unless they grind the levels pretty fast, without WvW and only Starting Areas til lvl 15.

Starting areas til level 10.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Tao.1234

Tao.1234

I suggest to contact Inquest and give them a pass to take all f2p players and bots to experiment on them.

New subjects are always welcome.

Suspended for telling Like it is.
Anet gave birth to Gw2 – Anet killed Gw2.
Murican law 2015.

Posted by: Maj Death.8471

Maj Death.8471

Everyone wants there money back Or give us the Expansion for Free.I allready spent $120 US on the kitten game and they want another $99.99

Someone needs a wake up call.

TJgalon.5012

Everyone wants there money back Or give us the Expansion for Free.I allready spent $120 US on the kitten game and they want another $99.99

Someone needs a wake up call.

when was the game ever 120$? plus the expanision is 50$, unless you mean you want to buy the $100 version.

Posted by: saalle.4623

saalle.4623

Yeah with bots. They will rush to lvl 80 and then take part at silverwaste or champtrain farm.

bots will be banned

Posted by: Drow.2081

Drow.2081

I turned off whisper a long time ago do to guild rep spam.

You know the RMT’s will be yelling in map chat if they can’t whisper. Whisper is kinda useless anyway. Just shut it off. The RMT’s will never know. Hopefully it will cut down on their use of map chat.

Also as one who comes from hundreds of ftp games and was once their avid supporter – do plz keep reporting these RMT’s. It does discourage them.

BUT NOTHING DISCOURAGES AN RMT MORE THAN MAKING NO MONEY – DON’T BUY ANYTHING FROM RMT’s!

Play right, play safe, play responsibly.

I also post on guildwars2guru.

Posted by: uknortherner.2670

uknortherner.2670

Funny, really. There’s a lot of annoyed people on here obsessing on thewhole F2P thing, yet when I went in-game last night, the atmosphere could not be more different… Or welcoming.

Standing outside DR in Queensdale (Piken Square server), a crowd had amassed setting off fireworks, laying on food and all sorts, welcoming in the new players – A massive contrast to what I’ve seen in other games that went F2P and a massive contrast to all the QQing on this forum! I think that says a lot about the (in game) GW2 community as a whole.

I stole a special snowflake’s future by exercising my democratic right to vote.

Posted by: darkprecure.6129

darkprecure.6129

Starting areas til level 10.

Okay, my fault. But LA is still locked til lvl 35.

Posted by: pessimist.7294

pessimist.7294

bots will be banned

yeah, because it already worked so fine until now…..
In the past Anet was really slow in banning bots, some of them were running around for months and they didnt do anything about it.
Earlier when the game wasnt F2P, botters would have to use stolen accounts or accounts bought with stolen credit cards to farm. There was some effort for them to create bot accounts. Now all they have to do fill out the registration formular.

Posted by: Absconditus.6804

Absconditus.6804

Haven’t received a single RMT whisper at all, not in Queensdale, Lion’s Arch, Divinity’s Reach. Remember we’ve had some RMT spam for a long time now. It’s still above and beyond better than how it were 3 years ago.

I think Free to Play users do need to have the ability to whisper someone. Not having access to map already limits their ability to ask for help. It’s not always that someone is right there next to you. But you may very well see someone talk in /map (I assume they can read it, just not talk in it—I might be wrong) or someone with a Commander tag, willing to help answer questions or assist in overcoming something.

I also hear some F2P players say they can’t Join each other when in different overflows. This is a huge oversight, even if it’s well intended by ArenaNet. A MMORPG is more fun with friends. Being separated through the Megaserver system, with no way of joining up with your friends seems like a lousy experience. That needs to be hotfixed, and fast, if that is the case. They said they were in party, that they had each other on their friends list. And were frustrated they couldn’t play together, something they had been excited about being able to do when trying out the game now that it’s free.

Yes, limit F2P accounts to some extent, but don’t make it a miserable experience. I felt bad for those F2P players who were seemingly struggling to group up.

Vella Absconditus | Human Mesmer
Seafarer’s Rest

Posted by: Harny.6012

Harny.6012

bots will be banned

:))))))))))

Posted by: Warcanz.2704

Warcanz.2704

I don’t know about anyone else but i like to be wined and dined if im gonna get reamed out of money.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Funny, really. There’s a lot of annoyed people on here obsessing on thewhole F2P thing, yet when I went in-game last night, the atmosphere could not be more different… Or welcoming.

Standing outside DR in Queensdale (Piken Square server), a crowd had amassed setting off fireworks, laying on food and all sorts, welcoming in the new players – A massive contrast to what I’ve seen in other games that went F2P and a massive contrast to all the QQing on this forum! I think that says a lot about the (in game) GW2 community as a whole.

Of course there is a massive contrast, forums are full of QQers. It’s also so funny that a lot of the most recent QQ posts are from people who haven’t posted anything over the last 3 years and suddenly they come on demanding and QQing. Also, it’s a weekend, weekends attract more forum trolls

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

best move anet made for quite some time. pvp should have been f2p from the beginning. get real guys.
your salt is my sugar.

Why should PvP be free to play? I’m curious as to why you think this?

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: Kidel.2057

Kidel.2057

However f2p is a little bit an exaggeration. That’s more like a free trial. The amount of restrictions is insane compared to a normal f2p.

I’m not saying this should change. I’d like even more restrictions.

There are like 3 restrictions… What are you talking about?

there are 3 branches of restrictions, each one with many of them

Posted by: Fargath.5104

Fargath.5104

Bots,bots,bots,bots,bots…..bots,bots and also gold farms, cheats and hacks. This is what we get in time when the game becomes free, becouse this game is perfect for bots, there is only one thing that protect us from that and that is price for game… This is most stupid and cruel thing you could done to your clients…
Please dont do this!!! You can make trial version and lower price for original game to 10 euro…but please dont make this game Free to bot

Posted by: Kell.9365

Kell.9365

Well, there goes the neighborhood! At least they won’t be able to post to this forum.

Posted by: Miss Lana Too.5794

Miss Lana Too.5794

45 characters, 20 level 80s, 11 impersonal story completions and counting.

Posted by: Near.7439

Near.7439

Bots,bots,bots,bots,bots…..bots,bots and also gold farms, cheats and hacks. This is what we get in time when the game becomes free, becouse this game is perfect for bots, there is only one thing that protect us from that and that is price for game… This is most stupid and cruel thing you could done to your clients…
Please dont do this!!! You can make trial version and lower price for original game to 10 euro…but please dont make this game Free to bot

Here we go, another person who didn’t read the article or the FAQ. All your concerns have been addressed: https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/95982157?_ga=1.37674720.1354956904.1438154838

TJgalon.5012

You know the free trial already restricted to prevent most of what a bot wants to do anyways?
Maybe see how it goes before you claim everyone in free trail is a bot and not a potinational costumer.

Posted by: Zaron.1987

Zaron.1987

Gw2 was 5$ at january.

no

maybe on an illegal key seller platform

sale was 10$!

next will come and say
"it was in sale for 5 cent in january . "

5 minutes later next one:

“no you even got 20$ if you paid it!!”

Posted by: Drow.2081

Drow.2081

If I take my friend shopping at Walmart and we look at hamster cages together and I decide to buy but he doesn’t because he doesn’t have the money that’s okay. Maybe someday he’ll get a job in an oppressed economy and have money like me. But later that day he calls me excited on the phone and says he needs a ride to the Salvation Army. We show up and they are giving away hamster cages for free!

Is it time for me to:
A) Throw an indignant tantrum and break out singing Donna Summers’ “…Works Hard for the Money.”
B) Pat my friend on the back and a say, “Lucky break, man.”

Welcome aboard f2p’ers. Nice to have you.

I also post on guildwars2guru.

Zaron.1987

Here we go, another person who didn’t read the article or the FAQ. All your concerns have been addressed: https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/95982157?_ga=1.37674720.1354956904.1438154838

but you can test perfectly the anti bot system until you find the best bot that cant be detect and earn 100k of gold

if this bot army earned enough turn it to an regular account and sell out

problem solved

Posted by: Near.7439

Near.7439

Gw2 was 5$ at january.

no

sale was 10$!

next will come and say

Bots in WoW and FFXIV pay monthly subs for that kitten. Do you really think a mere 10$ was going to stop them here? Guess what, the answer is no. Anet’s anti botting net is what stops them. Now on top of their anti botting technology they’re restricting free player’s gaming experience into oblivion to keep the game pristine. Come back with a better argument.

Posted by: Adventurous Cookie.1658

Adventurous Cookie.1658

The Dark Side of the Force surrounds the higher ups of Anet.

Anet, you’re breaking my heart! You’re going down a path I cannot follow!

Posted by: Compass.9621

Compass.9621

I truly hope ArenaNet have enough resources to implement F2P such that we, those who paid for the game, will not experience lag and deteriorating experience with the anticipated influx of F2P players. F2P is a good ways to invite and entice new players, however, i hope it is not at the expense of us, existing loyal players who remain to love and be in love with the game.

Zaron.1987

Gw2 was 5$ at january.

no

sale was 10$!

next will come and say

Bots in WoW and FFXIV pay monthly subs for that kitten. Do you really think a mere 10$ was going to stop them here? Guess what, the answer is no. Anet’s anti botting net is what stops them. Now on top of their anti botting technology they’re restricting free player’s gaming experience into oblivion to keep the game pristine. Come back with a better argument.

Just read again dude

now you can test until you got the perfect bot that perfect bypass the anti bot system

cause if anet ban you 100 times it doesnt matter—> just creat a new one for free

maybe with the 101th try you got the perfect bot that cant be detect by anti bot system

-> win

with 10$ noone would test this!

(edited by Zaron.1987)

TJgalon.5012

Gw2 was 5$ at january.

no

sale was 10$!

next will come and say

Just read again dude

now you can test until you got the perfect bot that perfect bypass the anti bot system

cause if anet ban you 100 times it doesnt matter—> just creat a new one for free

maybe with the 101th try you got the perfect bot that the system can detect

-> win

with 10$ noone would test this!

Except then it gets harder to do anything since your Ip will likely be ban.

Posted by: martaug.1762

martaug.1762

First paragraph is sarcasm, second is how he fells about the new ftp restrictions.