Play for Free Confirmed [merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

BTW, some of the first FTP players (except for a few hardcores that are there already) should be reaching level 30 this week given the observed 90 min +/- 30 min rate of doing a level in PVE. I doubt we will see much of a problem when they gain access to /party as joining one (and not being kicked) has you constantly under the gun.

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

Don’t they get the laurels that come with the AP rewards? It’ll only add up to a small handful over a long time, but you’d get to buy an ascended recipe every once in a while.

Posted by: Linfang.1087

Linfang.1087

Don’t they get the laurels that come with the AP rewards? It’ll only add up to a small handful over a long time, but you’d get to buy an ascended recipe every once in a while.

Its a very small amount, and I think all recipes are 5 laurels each.

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

Around 7,500 AP you can have enough to make a full armor and a single weapon, if you don’t spend laurels on anything other than ascended recipes.

Posted by: Sardath.8524

Sardath.8524

I am not saying everyone has to agree with me, I just know that a large portion of the community is like myself livid over the show of bad faith from ArenaNet to its actual customers, and worse.. to its long term LOYAL customers, showing everyone that to Anet see’s loyalty as a resource they can USE not as a gift given by the players, and that leaves a sour taste in your mouth.

That’s like being upset that you bought a 1 TB hard drive that cost 200$ 5 years ago, and it costs 50$ now. Some things lose their value, games not being an exception.

People are just greedy and angry that new players get a glorified trial and they think they deserve something in return as well. Well you already get something – the game that you paid for.

You can get GW 1 for dirt cheap now. Anyone going to complain about that, as well?

Posted by: MiniEquine.6014

MiniEquine.6014

The show never ended, that’s the thing. I paid for the show in its entirety, and they did not. You created a fallacy to attempt to make mine seem negative and only proved my point without realizing it.

Yeah, you can rewatch the recordings of the old show. You paid for the old show, not the old show plus the new show. They are now also able to watch the recordings of the old show. They too, however, must pay if they want to see the new and old show combined.

And no, I didn’t make a fallacy. My analogy is almost exactly like what it is now. The core game will not be getting any content updates, only QoL improvements and bug fixes.

I am not saying everyone has to agree with me, I just know that a large portion of the community is like myself livid over the show of bad faith from ArenaNet to its actual customers, and worse.. to its long term LOYAL customers, showing everyone that to Anet see’s loyalty as a resource they can USE not as a gift given by the players, and that leaves a sour taste in your mouth.

Loyalty (with regard to loyal customers) is measured by time spent playing, money you spend for the game, and money you brought the company through spreading the word. It’s a combination of all three. Not saying you are, but a customer that visits a store every day of their life only to window shop and maybe buy a couple of things here and there is far less valuable than a customer who visits once but spends loads of money when they do.

It’s best just not to be loyal to companies in the first place. Exchange your money for their product if you wish, but they are not your friend.

(edited by MiniEquine.6014)

Posted by: MiniEquine.6014

MiniEquine.6014

For ripping me off? Yeah, i do. And i honestly don’t care how you feel about it. That will not change the fact that i feel i paid 100 bucks for a free product. Why the hell should i pay any money if its going to go free down the road anyway?

You might enjoy being made a sucker, but i do not.

Feel absolutely free to not buy any of the game until it is fully released. It’s absolutely a reasonable way to play to pay the least amount of money, but it requires that you do not play the game until everything is fully released. If you are okay with waiting about a decade or more without playing this game (more than you already own), nobody is stopping you. The requirement is that you do not have access to the content unless you pay.

The final expansion will not be given away for free. It will include the core game and the previous expansions all for the final price ($50 or whatever at that time). You will, however, miss out on a decade or more of playing the game. That is your trade-off.

Posted by: kissofthehell.3720

kissofthehell.3720

So i havent been playing for a while and i heard that the basic part of the game is now free to play with its restrictions. Are “veteran” players that purchased the game going to get some sort of “bonus” or something? I was readin the FAQ but didnt see anything being said there.

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

So i havent been playing for a while and i heard that the basic part of the game is now free to play with its restrictions. Are “veteran” players that purchased the game going to get some sort of “bonus” or something? I was readin the FAQ but didnt see anything being said there.

We all got a new outfit, otherwise No. Free players have heavy restrictions and missing features. Veterans don’t need a bonus.

Posted by: Garambola.2461

Garambola.2461

We did get the Royal Guard outfit.

Posted by: GummiBear.2756

GummiBear.2756

What about Team chat in WvW? can F2P use that?

Posted by: kissofthehell.3720

kissofthehell.3720

Where do i find the Royal Guard outfit. I havent played for quite a while.

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

Where do i find the Royal Guard outfit. I havent played for quite a while.

It will be in your in game mail box.

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

it sucks, but its a necessary evil, i’ve not read the limitations but i’d hope its level-gated.
all chat (except whispers) should get enabled at lv 5 or 10 or something.

note i’m not counting guild chat/party chat etc, they should be enabled from the start.

F2P accounts have no access to /map ever. If you want to type in /map, then you need to buy the game.

ah, well that sucks then, blocking it until a certain level would deal with alot of the gold selling annoyance.

Posted by: hildegain.2106

hildegain.2106

So you can reach level 80. Do PvP. Do WvW. Do dungeons. Do fractals. Do the personal story.

Like everyone else you have to buy the expansion.

There are some limitations, mostly for lower levels.

It’s F2P. Get over it.

Posted by: Paulash.5814

Paulash.5814

Allowing free-to-play people to access map chat will give any starter map World 1 Grand Exchange levels of spam (hopefully you guys get that reference). Since new players can see map chat, many of them will see the guild recruitments that are generally tailored towards new players. They whisper, join the guild, and problem solved. If anything, they can just look up their issue on google or the wiki. New players aren’t as incompetent as you think.

Posted by: GummiBear.2756

GummiBear.2756

it sucks, but its a necessary evil, i’ve not read the limitations but i’d hope its level-gated.

note i’m not counting guild chat/party chat etc, they should be enabled from the start.

F2P accounts have no access to /map ever. If you want to type in /map, then you need to buy the game.

ah, well that sucks then, blocking it until a certain level would deal with alot of the gold selling annoyance.

While true, it should be a VERY high lvl to hinder goldsellers at all, lvl 5 or 10 wont do anything, should be at least like 50 or higher of gold sellers would easily find ways to bot up to the needed lvles in very little time

hildegain.2106

[quote=5441750;EsarioOne.9840:]

hildegain.2106

While true, it should be a VERY high lvl to hinder goldsellers at all, lvl 5 or 10 wont do anything, should be at least like 50 or higher of gold sellers would easily find ways to bot up to the needed lvles in very little time

I have 12 level 80s. If I can alt 13 level 80s while using this as my off-game and playing other MMOs as my main games… then gold sellers could bot to 80 in minimal time and negate your argument.

Levelling is irrelevant.

Posted by: Mightybird.6034

Mightybird.6034

I have serious doubts to the uh motivations behind OPs point. I seriously doubt he cares about the plight of the f2p. More likely he figured out a way to make gold with free accounts (if you view his history he has a lot of posts about it) and needs a way to chat in map for it to work…

Posted by: Centurion.7296

Centurion.7296

It’s basically a freeware version, but unfortunately the term freeware seems to have fallen out of use.

It’s the MMO equivalent of AVG Free, downloadable Winzip or numerous other programs (about 1/3 of the software on my computer actually): You’ve got the free version which you can keep using indefinitely but it’s very heavily restricted – enough to give you an idea of what the program can do but not enough for more than basic use – then you have the paid version which has all the functions available.

How is this different to free-to-play games?

In most free to play games removing restrictions is a matter of paying an on-going subscription or a series of microtransactions to remove each one individually (sometimes both – you pay to unlock one feature for a short time, then have to pay again after that expires) whereas in GW2 it’s a one-time payment for the entire game.

Ah, thanks Danikat, I realised I phrased it wrong, but its basicly Freeware; between f2t and f2p. Theres enought content for the f2p people to get the feel for the gameplay, but the restrictions limit them from getting the real vibe of the game and its communities.

Also, I see no reason for the people to complain so much about it, if we were in their situationt then 80% of us would’ve used this oppertunity to get the feel for the game. The biggest why this will impact us is that there will be more people on the servers which could lead to the servers working a lil harder, so Anet better upgrade there soft/hardware.

Attachments:

(edited by Centurion.7296)

Posted by: Linfang.1087

Linfang.1087

Wait I thought we were committing 3 years ago that this game was pay 2 win? did we change our viewpoint again?

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

:(

And here I was all ready to break out the P4F as a new acronym.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Garambola.2461

Garambola.2461

Actually you can craft Ascended without Laurels.
The Inscription/insignia recipes for Nomad (Ventari) stats is available in Drytop for Geods and Sinister (Verata) in Silverwastes for Bandit Crests.

The recipies for individual weapons/armor pieces are rare drops in those areas, but they are availabe on the Trading Post.

To get any stats you want, visit Miyani at the Mystic Forge and buy ‘Anthology of Heroes’ for 10 Spirit Shards.

( I do think that anyone this dedicated would probably buy the game though.)

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

No I think you misunderstood. They literally can’t type in /map chat ever. Meaning there is no gold selling annoyance. At least not via /map or whisper. /say will be a different story, we shall see.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Centurion.7296

Wait I thought we were committing 3 years ago that this game was pay 2 win? did we change our viewpoint again?

Nah, this is Gw2, not WoW, unless you wanna pay for legendaries for that 1% extra stats, then go ahead.

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

The term is BUY TO PLAY or the acronym B2P.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Nah, this is Gw2, not WoW, unless you wanna pay for legendaries for that 1% extra stats, then go ahead.

But legendaries don’t have 1% additional stats. They have same stats as Ascended!

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: dom.2748

dom.2748

Gw2 is f2t (free 2 try), start getting it right or even more poor souls will start thinking it is f2p and with that, the complaining will continue.

No.. it is quite literally Free to play. A “free 2 try” approach would imply there is a trial period which there is not. Nothing is stopping one of these free to play players from playing their free version until the inevitable day when the GW2 servers shut down for good.

Centurion.7296

Gw2 is f2t (free 2 try), start getting it right or even more poor souls will start thinking it is f2p and with that, the complaining will continue.

No.. it is quite literally Free to play. A “free 2 try” approach would imply there is a trial period which there is not. Nothing is stopping one of these free to play players from playing their free version until the inevitable day when the GW2 servers shut down for good.

Ive corrected myself like 8 posts ago.

(edited by Centurion.7296)

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

I guess I understood, way back when, people not wanting to pay for a subscription on top of paying for the game. While the model never bothered me (and the way ‘some’ cash shops work, not GW2’s or MH’s, but rather maybe AA, I rather miss paying a sub and just getting all the clothes and houses and what have you with that sub), I could always see why it was a turn off for some folks.

I’ve never understood not being willing to pay for a core game itself. Especially a game that offers far more than 40-45 hours of play for your $50-60, like Tomb Raider, or Mad Metal Solid Halo Max Gear Duty 16: Shoot Cops and Beat Up Women Platinum Edition.

dom.2748

I guess I understood, way back when, people not wanting to pay for a subscription on top of paying for the game. While the model never bothered me (and the way ‘some’ cash shops work, not GW2’s or MH’s, but rather maybe AA, I rather miss paying a sub and just getting all the clothes and houses and what have you with that sub), I could always see why it was a turn off for some folks.

I’ve never understood not being willing to pay for a core game itself. Especially a game that offers far more than 40-45 hours of play for your $50-60, like Tomb Raider, or Mad Metal Solid Halo Max Gear Duty 16: Shoot Cops and Beat Up Women Platinum Edition.

Where can I buy this beat up women platinum edition? It sounds fun

Posted by: CorrynnStarr.7942

CorrynnStarr.7942

If only Obama played GW2 and got spammed and declared goldsellers to be terrorist and saved us all.

Hehehehe…. that child cant even SPEAK the word terrorist, or label a group as a terrorist. Why the hell would you think he would for you in a game??? lol.

Its true tho… blame the ones buying gold from the spammers instead of the right way through Anets gem store. people go where there is a market… if it wasnt profitable forthem, they wouldnt be in business.

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Better to call it play for free not F2P (F2P means you get every thing at the same level as paying players and you don’t under this system.)

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Guild Wars 2 is most certainly free to play now. Guild Wars 2 HoT isn’t. They’re different products, one which continues the other.

It’s still buy to play the current content, but you can do the old base game for free. I’d imagine over time, there’d be more and more of Guild Wars 2 you simply couldn’t access without paying.

dom.2748

Better to call it play for free not F2P (F2P means you get every thing at the same level as paying players and you don’t under this system.)

No you don’t. SWTOR is F2P and has a similar system as GW2. People with an active subscription get to do more stuff more often. This system is even less restrictive than SWTORs system. GW2 F2P players can do 99% of the things a paying customer can do.

The list of restrictions is extremely short and half of them are temporary restrictions. Like the WvW and PvP restrictions. And none of them aren’t game impeding in any way.

Posted by: joneirikb.7506

joneirikb.7506

Freeware, with HoT release, perhaps closer to Shareware.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeware

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shareware

Elrik Noj (Norn Guardian, Kaineng [SIN][Owls])
“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
“The objective is to win. The goal is to have fun.”

Posted by: Kaixablazing.1972

Kaixablazing.1972

So you can reach level 80. Do PvP. Do WvW. Do dungeons. Do fractals. Do the personal story.

It’s F2P. Get over it.

It is NOT F2P, they even advertise it differently “Play for Free”, it is NOT the same or else they would just call it F2P. Clever term usage is what it is.

dom.2748

It’s F2P. Get over it.

It is NOT F2P, they even advertise it differently “Play for Free”, it is NOT the same or else they would just call it F2P. Clever term usage is what it is.

Play for free and free to play are literally the same thing. Just because PR spun the name doesn’t make it not F2P.

Posted by: Sicarius.4639

Sicarius.4639

It’s F2P. Get over it.

Play for free and free to play are literally the same thing. Just because PR spun the name doesn’t make it not F2P.

When I first saw it I thought it wouldn’t fool anyone, turns out I was wrong.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Let’s try not to get hung up on the terminology. “Play for Free” and “Free to Play” are marketing terms that companies can use any way that they choose. “Trial version” is another phrase that can mean just about anything, often depending on whether you are a game producer, a developer, or a player.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Illconceived Was Na.9781

There is no reason at all why a system could not exist that would solve both sides of the issue.

You haven’t suggested what such a system would look like: how do you prevent free reign by botters/spammers, without putting serious chat restrictions on Free Accounts?

Posted by: vampirem.2065

vampirem.2065

Don’t worry, the economy will be ok. We put a lot of effort into keeping it protected.

Ok, you made me really laugh.
I’m listening, trying to prove to me how.

Menadena.7482

There is no reason at all why a system could not exist that would solve both sides of the issue.

You haven’t suggested what such a system would look like: how do you prevent free reign by botters/spammers, without putting serious chat restrictions on Free Accounts?

Actually, I gave a couple of suggestions, I am not sure if I listed them here or in another thread though.

One is a separate channel. Not /map, but some new one. Other new users could use it. Existing users who wanted to help could use it. Everyone else could just not use it.

Another one is to implement a forum that they could use. This would not do for immediate things obviously (look behind you!) but it would allow people to give a thought-out response.

Posted by: rhapsody.3615

rhapsody.3615

I understand why the restriction is there: to stop gold sellers and to make free play as uncomfortable as possible so people will buy the game, but….

if new players can’t ask for help, they’re going to be turned off of the game real quick.

They can pay for the full game, and full access to the game then?

Or they can immediately get discouraged and quit.

You just downloaded the game, have no idea how to play, you have questions. The chat box is unavailable, there’s no indication that you can whisper people, you can’t make friends if you can’t talk — how do you even respond to guild recruitments?

First impression: not good.

If you didn’t spend any money on the game you have no real incentive to go any further. You just chalk it up as a waste of time and quit

…maybe even telling a few irl friends that you can’t even communicate (in an MMO!) if you don’t buy the game. The words P2W probably comes up (though not literally accurate) because if you put basic features behind a paywall those are the words that come to mind.

I paid $10 for this game. If a player who didn’t pay for anything wants the perks of my account, then they have to pay. They can wait for a sale while enjoying game. $10 is the cost of a lunch. Players who don’t want to pay even that can’t complain.

If they quit, how does that hurt the game? They paid nothing. Game loose nothing.

Pretty sure there is no longer an option to purchase GW2 core game, so they can’t just pay $10. I think the restrictions are fair- just wanted to point out that they do have to buy the full priced HoT and cannot simply spend $10 on the core game to lift restrictions.

I would actually recommend slightly heftier restrictions for WvW borderlands and EBG access (let them be free to play EOTM) but we will soon see how that plays out. I think there are plenty of sources between reddit and the official forums for new players to find a guild.

Posted by: Kitty La Boom Boom.4065

Kitty La Boom Boom.4065

it’s a free trial . the free2play word is just a sugar-coating.

So when does the trial expire?

When you buy the game.

Oh so if I don’t buy it it never runs out? I might actually try this game out then.

How are you posting in these forums if you don’t have a paid version of the game?

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Actually, I gave a couple of suggestions, I am not sure if I listed them here or in another thread though.

One is a separate channel. Not /map, but some new one. Other new users could use it. Existing users who wanted to help could use it. Everyone else could just not use it.

Another one is to implement a forum that they could use. This would not do for immediate things obviously (look behind you!) but it would allow people to give a thought-out response.

A separate channel is equally open to abuse. If it doesn’t include veterans, then it still offers incentives to spammers, which then defeats the purpose of a /help channel.

I agree that a forum for PfF accounts would be helpful. However, it doesn’t address the issues raised by the OP. (Worse, I’m pretty sure the existing forum technology doesn’t support it.)

Menadena.7482

A separate channel is equally open to abuse. If it doesn’t include veterans, then it still offers incentives to spammers, which then defeats the purpose of a /help channel.

I agree that a forum for PfF accounts would be helpful. However, it doesn’t address the issues raised by the OP. (Worse, I’m pretty sure the existing forum technology doesn’t support it.)

I am not convinced it is worth it to the gold sellers when they can use /map. If FTP players have money for gold they would have money for the full game. If they are interested enough in the game that gold would tempt them they would also want the full game.

If the forum technology does not support it then spin up another copy of the forums and link to that. If that is not doable put them someplace where anyone can sign up whether they are a player or not (it is ftp so anyone can get an account anyway).

Posted by: Lambent.6375

Lambent.6375

it’s a free trial . the free2play word is just a sugar-coating.

So when does the trial expire?

When you buy the game.

Oh so if I don’t buy it it never runs out? I might actually try this game out then.

How are you posting in these forums if you don’t have a paid version of the game?

Lol. .

“Caithe, someday you’ll see, Tyria needs me. -Scarlet”

Posted by: DarkWasp.7291

DarkWasp.7291

When I play other F2P games as a F2P player, I wish me and the others of my kind were restricted from map chat as well.

I think this restriction is a HUGE bonus, not just to veterans, but to new players alike.

If free players were allowed to /map, there’s a good chance you STILL wouldn’t be able to ask for help. Questions and answers tend to get buried beneath all of the arguing and botting.

To that end, I ENCOURAGE veterans to reach out on map chat and let people know they are available for questions through PM. I feel this would help create the best system for new players to get help.

^ Uses Guild Wars 2 character screenshots for desktop wallpapers.