*Precursor Rage*

*Precursor Rage*

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Leamas.5803

Leamas.5803

A big part of the problem with legendary weapons, and precursors, is that you can buy them, and most of the materials to make them with real money (Through the gem to gold conversion), making it possible for someone with deep pockets IRL to whip out a credit card and buy it or most of the materials to make it without ever having done any of the work. If you couldn’t buy them, you would see far fewer of them in game.

I think a good solution to the “too many legendaries” problem is to tie them to karma and map completion and it would have little affect on ANets precious gem store. Currently, you need approximately 900000-1.2M karma (Depending on your luck with attaining clovers) in order to make a legendary. I’d argue that a player should not be even allowed to equip a legendary weapon skin, even if they had one, until say, they had map completion on the character they want to equip the weapon on and had collected a total 1M karma on the account…2M karma if you want to equip a second, 3M for 3, etc. ANet would have to track this as a separate statistic to allow people to still spend their karma. Some of the other things like gift of battle and gift of fortune could be relaxed since the player is spending a crapload of gold, but forcing map completion and a minimum karma level would certainly help to ensure people at least put some time in to “earn” said weapon and make legendaries an actual achievement, even if you buy it.

This way, even the super wealthy and career TP flippers still have to actually earn the right to to use the legendaries they buy.

Precursors and legendary weapon skins should be a reward for in game achievements, not how much money you have.

(edited by Leamas.5803)

*Precursor Rage*

Posted by: illo.5106

illo.5106

If you couldn’t buy them, you would see far fewer of them in game.

Yes, but you would see far more complaints in the forum.

Just my experience from another MMO I played for almost a decade: When they introduced “Legendaries” (what they would be there) that dropped in special dungeons, people were always angry and arguing, that they should make them tradeable, because it was frustrating to get them.

Why? Because (drop) luck is always unfair – even more, if someone has more luck than others and like 3 – 4 pre’s or very rare items (he often won’t even want or need because they don’t fit in his build) that are accountbound. I often ran dungeons, then someone said something like: “OMG, it’s my first time in here, I don’t even know how to play and I’m not geared at all because I just reached max level – look what I found: XYZ!” – “Great, I do this dungeon like the [look into stats] 476th time for this **** and still haven’t got it! ****…”

I’m quite happy that you can get them here via TP. And in the end it’s all the same, because:
- if you could get them for (a massive amount of) tokens – people will grind them,
- via a special, personal quest – people will just run through that quest (practically grind it).
- if you make it accountbound and only available per drop – people will grind.
- if you make it bound to karma/map completion – people will grind that too.

In the end something like the “Legendary concept” will ALWAYS lead to grinding – if you replace all options by: “Hey, you can get them by an universal currency you can get via different ways [gold]…” it’s in my opinion the best solution. The only flaw in the ointment: You can trade ingame gold via the shop – but: if people who want to do that couldn’t, they just buy it somewhere else (3rd party goldsellers).

Precursors and legendary weapon skins should be a reward for in game achievements, not how much money you have.

Totally agree with this and I like the “get it with a special, superlong quest[chain], that eventually costs you a lot of time and gold” – but I already hear the screams of those who don’t like stuff like that and “just want their legendary!!!”. It’s always “hardcore gamers/raiders”, that want to be stuff like that a real achievement vs. those, who don’t want to spend all their free time for something special like that (a Legendary) and still be able to get it. At least that’s my experience in any MMO I played since the 90s and not any could come up with a good solution for this…

*Precursor Rage*

illo.5106

If you couldn’t buy them, you would see far fewer of them in game.

Yes, but you would see far more complaints in the forum.

Just my experience from another MMO I played for almost a decade: When they introduced “Legendaries” (what they would be there) that dropped in special dungeons, people were always angry and arguing, that they should make them tradeable, because it was frustrating to get them.

Why? Because (drop) luck is always unfair – even more, if someone has more luck than others and like 3 – 4 pre’s or very rare items (he often won’t even want or need because they don’t fit in his build) that are accountbound. I often ran dungeons, then someone said something like: “OMG, it’s my first time in here, I don’t even know how to play and I’m not geared at all because I just reached max level – look what I found: XYZ!” – “Great, I do this dungeon like the [look into stats] 476th time for this **** and still haven’t got it! ****…”

I’m quite happy that you can get them here via TP. And in the end it’s all the same, because:
- if you could get them for (a massive amount of) tokens – people will grind them,
- via a special, personal quest – people will just run through that quest (practically grind it).
- if you make it accountbound and only available per drop – people will grind.
- if you make it bound to karma/map completion – people will grind that too.

In the end something like the “Legendary concept” will ALWAYS lead to grinding – if you replace all options by: “Hey, you can get them by an universal currency you can get via different ways [gold]…” it’s in my opinion the best solution. The only flaw in the ointment: You can trade ingame gold via the shop – but: if people who want to do that couldn’t, they just buy it somewhere else (3rd party goldsellers).

The only players that (maybe) won’t grind are RPs, because it won’t fit in their concept. Any other player WILL start to grind, maybe not the first, but the second or third time – and then complain in the map chat and forum, that it sucks.

Totally agree with this and I like the “get it with a special, superlong quest[chain], that eventually costs you a lot of time and gold” – but I already hear the screams of those who don’t like stuff like that and “just want their legendary!!!”. It’s always “hardcore gamers/raiders”, that want to be stuff like that a real achievement vs. those, who don’t want to spend all their free time for something special like that (a Legendary) and still be able to get it. At least that’s my experience in any MMO I played since the 90s and not any could come up with a good solution for this…

*Precursor Rage*

Posted by: Crossaber.8934

Crossaber.8934

i come up with an idea similar to someone did mention before, 10k AP chest.

A token that reward an acc with 10k AP never ever equiped any legendery. The token can be used to trade a precursor box which will reward a random precursor. If the acc has already equiped any legendary, the token can be trade for a random ascended weapon box.

This way player with high AP without legendary have a bigger chance of getting themselves one while it don’t benefit those lucky player. It is not a precursor choice so it will not enrage players that already paid a high cost on TP.

I am a legendary owner standing at 7k AP. My suggestion don’t do me great benefit. It is a suggestion that reward long term players really.

*Precursor Rage*

Posted by: Zanshin.5379

Zanshin.5379

I simply don’t understand why a legendary item does not have an epic quest series acquisition, in a game that touts itself as anti-farm and focused on fantastic quests, events and happenings.

It’s what Anet wanted their game to be in the beginning. They have simply failed to make the game they wanted (remember the Manifesto).

Now, what I’m waiting for is a new set of legendaries, which can’t be bought and that we’d call “true” legendaries.

*Precursor Rage*

Leamas.5803

I’m fine with that, that’s just how luck is. The ones that anger me are the ones who consistently get super rare drops. I’ve heard of people who’ve gotten 4-5, or even more precursors drop from just random mobs. I know one guy who had one drop from a risen chicken. In over 1000 hours of play and ~5300ap (Not a huge amount, but respectable) achieved almost exclusively through PvE, and other than the pre I received from Lost Shore, the best drop, by far, I ever remember receiving was a black dye, which I sold at the time for 19g. Now those who weren’t around in those days might think that Lost Shore precursor was very lucky, but I’d guess at least 80%, or more, of those who got to the final chest with a level 80 character got a pre. I’ve heard of some who received 4 precursors from that chest. The chest was also character bound, not account bound, so if you had multiple level 80 characters, there was a way you could get the chest multiple times for even more precursors. It was a big scandal which angered A LOT of players.

*Precursor Rage*

Posted by: Zepher.7803

Zepher.7803

if the price is too high don’t buy it.

the people willing to pay outrageous prices keep the price high. hold your ground and don’t buy.

never pay list price, if we could all agree to stop paying then prices drop….but that’ll never happen heh.

Sincerly, Me.

*Precursor Rage*

Posted by: Himei.5379

Himei.5379

the people willing to pay outrageous prices keep the price high. hold your ground and don’t buy.

never pay list price, if we could all agree to stop paying then prices drop….but that’ll never happen heh.

Heh, was just about to post the same thing. If the price goes too high, and no one buys it at that price, then the seller has to relist at a lower price. With so many people complaining YET still buying them at their current prices, sellers can just “Hmm, wonder if these suckers will still buy it if i raise the price by 200g?” and come out winning.

*Precursor Rage*

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

Heh, was just about to post the same thing. If the price goes too high, and no one buys it at that price, then the seller has to relist at a lower price. With so many people complaining YET still buying them at their current prices, sellers can just “Hmm, wonder if these suckers will still buy it if i raise the price by 200g?” and come out winning.

Well, somehow I doubt there is considerable overlap between the people complaining and the people buying at list price. Those are more likely people who make bank every day flipping on the TP, and what reason would they have to complain? They can buy anything they want without spending real world money. Good on ’em, but I want to play an RPG, not a stock market.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

*Precursor Rage*

Leamas.5803

There’s A LOT of money to made flipping precursors if you have the time, patience and money to do it. I strongly suspect a lot of the precursors are being upsold by organized groups of people, perhaps gold sellers, who have a hoard of them, in order to artificially inflate the price. When prices start rising, people will often then buy quickly as a knee-jerk reaction. This goes well beyond your average player flipping bags or rings to make a few silver. Technically, this is price fixing and/or market tampering and I wish ANet would reign it in. I remember when The Legend hit 300g and thinking it couldn’t possibly go much higher than that.

(edited by Leamas.5803)

*Precursor Rage*

Posted by: Riss.1536

Riss.1536

I wouldn’t be surprised if gold sellers owned majority of the precursors. They could remove some or several when they sell it in real money via their site or get the gold when some player buy it on tp.
It doens’t matter to them to sell precursor or gold in real money and if you saw all the gold on their website you can presume that acquiring all the precursors of the market is like spending pocket money to them. Precursors are good for their business.

*Precursor Rage*

Posted by: Woljnir.7810

Woljnir.7810

There are thousands of people running around the game swinging Twilights and shooting rainbow unicorns. It’s not that hard to do if you focus on the goal, just takes a long time to get there. Most players give up along the way because they don’t have the patience of dedication it takes.

The average player is not supposed to be able to create a Legendary weapon. This is why they are not called “really cool skins you can buy for $10 from the gem shop.”

100% wrong. One of the selling points of this game was that any player regardless of skill level or play time can do whatever it is they want. Endless gear grinds that restarted every 4-5 months were out, people could do dungeons, pvp, wvw, craft, whatever without having to meet ridiculous outside requirements. Has it worked out perfectly? Of course not, but what has worked out is that the AVERAGE player can certainly get a legendary if they want.

You just make no sense. You say:

It’s not that hard to do if you focus on the goal, just takes a long time to get there. Most players give up along the way because they don’t have the patience of dedication it takes.

And that’s exactly what everyone does. They finish the three gifts and then are stuck with no precursor do to either blowing all their money on expensive mats or simply not having the time or the means to grind out hundreds upon hundreds of gold, when the prices are rising by the day anyway, or having to rely on some of the most rubbish RNG some gamers have ever seen in MMOs. That’s what this thread is has been about in its entirety, trash RNG and explosive price increases, not how hard or time consuming it is to get everything else.

*Precursor Rage*

Posted by: Crossaber.8934

Crossaber.8934

There are thousands of people running around the game swinging Twilights and shooting rainbow unicorns. It’s not that hard to do if you focus on the goal, just takes a long time to get there. Most players give up along the way because they don’t have the patience of dedication it takes.

The average player is not supposed to be able to create a Legendary weapon. This is why they are not called “really cool skins you can buy for $10 from the gem shop.”

100% wrong. One of the selling points of this game was that any player regardless of skill level or play time can do whatever it is they want. Endless gear grinds that restarted every 4-5 months were out, people could do dungeons, pvp, wvw, craft, whatever without having to meet ridiculous outside requirements. Has it worked out perfectly? Of course not, but what has worked out is that the AVERAGE player can certainly get a legendary if they want.

You just make no sense. You say:

It’s not that hard to do if you focus on the goal, just takes a long time to get there. Most players give up along the way because they don’t have the patience of dedication it takes.

And that’s exactly what everyone does. They finish the three gifts and then are stuck with no precursor do to either blowing all their money on expensive mats or simply not having the time or the means to grind out hundreds upon hundreds of gold, when the prices are rising by the day anyway, or having to rely on some of the most rubbish RNG some gamers have ever seen in MMOs. That’s what this thread is has been about in its entirety, trash RNG and explosive price increases, not how hard or time consuming it is to get everything else.

Well, average player is able to obtain a legendary, no matter how RNG rewards precursor, every acc is possible to loot one soon or later. What GW2 focused is contents that all players, no matter hardcore or causal players still able to access. Most game out there, some weapons are very rare and got very slim chance to drop, some player may not able to own them during their whole play time. The worst thing for those game is, the item can not be traded. GW2 is more or less more forgiving than those GAMES, you can get a slim chance to loot, you can MF gambling or you can buy it from TP. Legendary is by no mean for everybody’s weapon skin, and it is already more common than most of the weapon.

*Precursor Rage*

Leamas.5803

Well, average player is able to obtain a legendary, no matter how RNG rewards precursor, every acc is possible to loot one soon or later. What GW2 focused is contents that all players, no matter hardcore or causal players still able to access. Most game out there, some weapons are very rare and got very slim chance to drop, some player may not able to own them during their whole play time. The worst thing for those game is, the item can not be traded. GW2 is more or less more forgiving than those GAMES, you can get a slim chance to loot, you can MF gambling or you can buy it from TP. Legendary is by no mean for everybody’s weapon skin, and it is already more common than most of the weapon.

The nature of RNG also says there are those who will never get one drop, especially this RNG. That said, I disagree that trading them is better than those where they cannot be traded. Precursors, should be a reward for some sort of epic questline. Legendary weapons should never have been in the TP. Someone who buys a legendary weapon should never be allowed to equip it without first fulfilling some sort of requirements showing one is “worthy” of the weapon. Then we would see far less. But that’s not how it is and we’re stuck with a broken system, so we can only hope ANet does something to reign in prices.

(edited by Leamas.5803)

*Precursor Rage*

Posted by: Woljnir.7810

Woljnir.7810

The nature of RNG also says there are those who will never get one drop, especially this RNG. That said, I disagree that trading them is better than those where they cannot be traded. Precursors, should be a reward for some sort of epic questline. Legendary weapons should never have been in the TP. Someone who buys a legendary weapon should never be allowed to equip it without first fulfilling some sort of requirements showing one is “worthy” of the weapon. Then we would see far less. But that’s not how it is and we’re stuck with a broken system, so we can only hope ANet does something to reign in prices.

One of the most fundamentally agreed upon statements in the GW2 community. The only people who disagree are the ones who make all the gold buying and flipping them. Legendary weapons should have stories behind them. Why are they Legendary? Because they come with purple text?

(edited by Woljnir.7810)

*Precursor Rage*

Posted by: Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

In all honesty it shouldn’t just be that they have purple text, and that the classification for a ‘legendary’ weapon (or piece of gear) is such that the colour of the text dictates the grade of gear. It should be more about the acquisition of the gear and the process one has to go through to obtain something legendary that makes the emphasis of how special that gear is to the character.

Right now, a legendary weapon is all about pixels, and everyone paying top-dollar to get their hands on one piece of it. There’s no back-story to how the precursor was acquired, what the player had to go through, etc. Even the T6 materials can all be bought and the badges of honour obtained through achievement chests, ie. no one has to set foot into WvW to obtain one part of the gift of mastery. AP’s are enough, supposedly. The only things you really need to work for are skill points for the bloodstone shard, world completion, obsidian shards, icy runestones and the recipes for the gifts of the weapon you’re crafting. Perhaps that’s over-simplifying, but look at the people with multiple legendaries. Is it really an over-simplification? Just by playing the game and waiting for The Legend to drop I’ve acquired about half of the kit that I’d need to make a second legendary.

The old-school Arrow-Key warrior.
“Obtaining a legendary should be done through legendary feats…
Not luck and credit cards.”

*Precursor Rage*

Posted by: Infernia.9847

Infernia.9847

A Legendary or epic quest to obtain a personal legendary can still be integrated. It would not cut into the current precursor/legendary TP market. With the exception of them not being as desirable.
I almost wish there had been a system in place that allowed for a low level to take a white level item and with continuous use and upgrades via achievements, quests, crafting, events, etc; one could thereby turn that weapon into something legendary with enough time and effort.
EDIT: And I don’t mean time & effort that could be achievable in a few days even with exceptional grinding. I do despise time gating but for these kinds of things it would be necessary, if done properly.

Blackgate : Level 80 Ranger, Necro, Guardian, Warrior
Devs: Trait Challenge Issued

(edited by Infernia.9847)

*Precursor Rage*

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

I wonder what the prices would be if ANet announced that from tomorrow on the precursors and legendaries would be account-bound forever.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

*Precursor Rage*

Zanshin.5379

I wonder what the prices would be if ANet announced that from tomorrow on the precursors and legendaries would be account-bound forever.

Obviously they would skyrocket before the change is applied BUT if they did that it also would mean they would give us the means to get them by ourselves. Something like the famous precursor hunt they’ve talked about more than a year ago.

*Precursor Rage*

Valento.9852

Obviously they would skyrocket before the change is applied BUT if they did that it also would mean they would give us the means to get them by ourselves. Something like the famous precursor hunt they’ve talked about more than a year ago.

It wouldn’t make much sense for the prices to skyrocket since once it’s acc-bound and they have the corresponding legendaries, having the precursor/legendary would be useless.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

*Precursor Rage*

Zanshin.5379

Except if the hunt is a long process (as it would obviously be). The people who want to craft their legendary soon would want to buy it now, when they still can.

*Precursor Rage*

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

In a hypothetical situation like this everyone investing/speculating in precursors they want to sell for a profit (not holding on to in hopes of someday making the appropriate Legendary) will compete with each other to dump their inventories as quickly as possible before they become bound and therefore worthless. Prices crash within hours and anyone can pick up a precursor for 10% or less of the current market prices.

Of course, no one at Anet is stupid enough to actually do this…

*Precursor Rage*

Posted by: liquidy.6513

liquidy.6513

If you had done the first champ farm event with scarlett you would have gotten precursor(s) I came out of it with 3 precursors and over 1000g. It was ridiculously easy to farm for money since then the events have been heavily nerfed and its back to pretty much just doing dungeons.

Here is how you get a precursor do all the dailies every day the reason why is because you get Black Lion Salvage Kits occasionally then farm champs, events, dungeons whatever you want to collects rares take all the weapon rares and organize them like and then forge them i.e. 4 greatswords into the forge 4 daggers etc the precursors that are worth like nothing like the harpoon gun or trident take those rares and pair them together so you get a random rare or exotic weapon. If you get an exotic that is not a precursor sell it and save the gold. Use the Black Lion Salvage Kits to salvage ALL the armor the reason why you salvage the armor and not the weapons is but the armor rares even when they turn into exotics are worthless it’s better to salvage them and get GLOBS and then sell the globs you also have 100% chance to get the rune out of the armor when you can then take all the runes and forge them and possibly get some that are worth quite a bit. I will also point out that that you should ALWAYS check to see how much the runes are worth in weapons or armors, the exotics, and if the rune or sigil is the reason why the weapon is worth a lot then use a Black Lion Salvage Kit on it and get the rune or sigil out and then you can sell the rune or sigil for usually more money and get some other good salvage items as well.

Now lets say you don’t get lucky and get a precursor from the forge it doesn’t matter because you are going to be making a ton of money from globs, runes, sigils and doing dungeons etc collecting all these rares. You will be able to just buy any precursor you want within 1-2 months.

*Precursor Rage*

illo.5106

One of the most fundamentally agreed upon statements in the GW2 community.

Ah yes. Maybe that’s why you can read that in almost every statement considering pre’s… NOT.

I wouldn’t be surprised if gold sellers owned majority of the precursors.

You don’t have to point at gold sellers – TP guilds already do that too. It’s no big surprise, that some pre’s almost everybody wants never exceed 6 or 7 at the TP and never go below a special price.

*Precursor Rage*

Posted by: Ponzu.4570

Ponzu.4570

day 600+

Precursors : 0

lvl80 sylavari Engineer
Crystal Desert

*Precursor Rage*

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Is anet even considering doing something about the precursors price skyrocketing on the market due to the richest people buying all of them and selling them all at a higher price?

This is getting completely ridiculous, your market system is getting played by the hardcore players and the casual players have to pay for it?

*Precursor Rage*

Posted by: comma.2894

comma.2894

Same story here. I play at least an hour (usually more) per day since launch.
Run multiple dungeons paths per day, throw stuff the forge regularly with extra rares, WvW some, run fracs 30 to 40 range at least 4 times a week ,11k ap. With all that I hardly ever get anything worthwhile. I can for sure confirm that my account is one of the “cursed” accounts. So I’ve given up on trying to obtain a precusor, the rng way. The only way would be to buy one and I’m not wasting my hard earned gold on that, that’s crazy.

*Precursor Rage*

Posted by: Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

If Anet are listening, I’m not sure they’ll actually acknowledge that there’s a problem. Sure they’ve hinted at scavenger hunts and precursor building, but everything that says is going to happen ends up getting shelved. All we want is for this to be fixed up so people can be set on course and eventually done with their legendary.

The old-school Arrow-Key warrior.
“Obtaining a legendary should be done through legendary feats…
Not luck and credit cards.”

*Precursor Rage*

Riss.1536

If you can up this thread everyday Anet won’t be feigning ignorance. It should be seen by Anet everydays so that they’ll never forget the precursor issues.

*Precursor Rage*

Posted by: Mortifer.2946

Mortifer.2946

If you can up this thread everyday Anet won’t be feigning ignorance. It should be seen by Anet everydays so that they’ll never forget the precursor issues.

Good idea

*Precursor Rage*

Posted by: Vitaly.3418

Vitaly.3418

Anet should simply make the maximum amount of buy/sell precursor/legendaries at 1.

This way the market player can only have one offer of each out. So they can only sell 1 at any time and buy 1 at any given time. They won’t be able to mass buy/sell precursors & legendaries therefore reducing the market manipulation.

This might help stabilize the prices since the supply and demand would eventually lead to stability in price.

Just a thought….

*Precursor Rage*

Posted by: MesmeForever.3612

MesmeForever.3612

This thread is why I’m proud to have EARNED (not purchased with real-world money) my GW1 Champion of the Gods title. I actually had to WORK for it and there was no way to buy it with real money through a trading post. People compliment me on it in-game sometimes (I will never display anything else), and I expect it’s because they know just how hard it actually was to obtain. Ultimately, through stepping out of my comfort zone and challenging myself by meeting players who were far better than I was, and learning from them both tactically and interpersonally, I started earning a lot more, feeling more accomplished, and having more fun. I used the in-game currency I’d earned through play – not a credit card, hacks, or ridiculously game-breaking exploits – to buy the rest of the stuff for my Hall of Monuments. My record guild runs against Dhuum, DoA, and FoW as a Mesmer, Rit or E/Mo were not the result of a cash infusion.

Because they were introduced from the beginning along with bugs, exploits, hacks and trading post stock-brokerage tactics that have nothing to do with player skill along with the near-total reliance on RNG, ‘Legendary’ weapons have become nothing more than outrageously overpriced baubles rather than a symbol of achievement – both for the player, and for Anet’s art team. When looked at that way, it makes sense why Anet relegated them to simple skins to apply to any weapon. It’s why I’m not bothered that I don’t have one.

*Precursor Rage*

Leamas.5803

This thread is why I’m proud to have EARNED (not purchased with real-world money) my GW1 Champion of the Gods title. I actually had to WORK for it and there was no way to buy it with real money through a trading post. People compliment me on it in-game sometimes (I will never display anything else), and I expect it’s because they know just how hard it actually was to obtain. Ultimately, through stepping out of my comfort zone and challenging myself by meeting players who were far better than I was, and learning from them both tactically and interpersonally, I started earning a lot more, feeling more accomplished, and having more fun. I used the in-game currency I’d earned through play – not a credit card, hacks, or ridiculously game-breaking exploits – to buy the rest of the stuff for my Hall of Monuments. My record guild runs against Dhuum, DoA, and FoW as a Mesmer, Rit or E/Mo were not the result of a cash infusion.

Because they were introduced from the beginning along with bugs, exploits, hacks and trading post stock-brokerage tactics that have nothing to do with player skill along with the near-total reliance on RNG, ‘Legendary’ weapons have become nothing more than outrageously overpriced baubles rather than a symbol of achievement – both for the player, and for Anet’s art team. When looked at that way, it makes sense why Anet relegated them to simple skins to apply to any weapon. It’s why I’m not bothered that I don’t have one.

Exactly, they are a great achievement if you can do it without real world money. That said, if you don’t buy gems to convert to gold, can one do it without a stupid amount of grind? Nope. Can one do it without getting in to some sort of crippling RNG? Unlikely. If you have deep pockets, can you just buy what you want with a credit card and avoid all the hassle? Yup, you bet, and what’s legendary about that? Legendary stupidity maybe. Ascended weapons are more legendary than legendary weapons in that you HAVE to collect the materials yourself and you HAVE to craft it yourself. Every person you see with an ascended weapon or armor, you know they put some serious time in to get it. Again, this requires a great deal of grind to achieve, but at least it’s something you can proudly don…even if most of the ascended stuff is ugly as sin. I’m seriously considering abandoning my quest for a legendary and doing ascended with an exotic skin, which I have the money for the crafting and probably mats to do now. There are many exotic skins which are far more rare to see in game, and just as nice in many cases, than any of the legendary skins…they just don’t have the foot-fall effects…and the dynamic stats, which really is the biggest advantage of having a legendary.

*Precursor Rage*

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

I simply don’t understand why a legendary item does not have an epic quest series acquisition, in a game that touts itself as anti-farm and focused on fantastic quests, events and happenings.

Instead, it’s “gather enough gold to buy it”. Yeah. Very epic and legendary.

Exactly. It was also a big insult to the accounts that didn’t get rares (and some still don’t) on a regular basis enough to get the ectos to even level past the 450 mark in crafting much less make the ascended weapons at 500.

Even with ascended having most of the mats soulbound in order to get to the stage of being able to build the weapons you have to farm gold like crazy just to get enough materials to get to 500 crafting level, so even that is tainted by the TP stigma.

This is what we were afraid of in Nov 2012 when they announced this tier.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

*Precursor Rage*

Leamas.5803

Good idea

Typically they will close the thread to get rid of it, or ignore it until it dies. Typically with little or no resolution. We saw this last year after they introduced some pretty drastic loot nerfs across pretty much all aspects of the game. There was a huge outcry of complaints which resulted in threads with thousands of posts over several months. Their response was merged/closed threads, delay tactics and simply to ignore. In some cases, the merged threads weren’t even really related causing issues with readability. It seemed they were just trying to sweep it under the carpet, while waiting out those who could still remember the days when loot was actually good. It was a terrible PR fiasco for them and angered a great many players.

*Precursor Rage*

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

So even now to carry on the tradition of the grind without the store one must achieve 1600 of the newest currency, which I’m sure there will be people on here to tell us all how “easy” that is and how it can be done in 5 minutes. It’s like once they’re hooked on the grind we can’t get the developers off of that hook to even consider any other design for rewards. (and I mean that about any game because this isn’t the first rodeo it’s happened to.)

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

*Precursor Rage*

Leamas.5803

So even now to carry on the tradition of the grind without the store one must achieve 1600 of the newest currency, which I’m sure there will be people on here to tell us all how “easy” that is and how it can be done in 5 minutes. It’s like once they’re hooked on the grind we can’t get the developers off of that hook to even consider any other design for rewards. (and I mean that about any game because this isn’t the first rodeo it’s happened to.)

1600 what? Festival tokens? for what?

*Precursor Rage*

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

If you want a legendary then just buy the kitten thing from the TP.

Nothing legendary about that.

We’ve been saying this for two years. Now I’m all wizened with a long wispy beard and I chuckle when I see you young whippersnappers echoing our comments. It’ll happen to you!

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

*Precursor Rage*

Posted by: Mono.7320

Mono.7320

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Upcoming_changes_and_features READ THIS!!!!! :OOO I LOVE YOU ANET <3

*Precursor Rage*

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

I’m sorry but I don’t see why all the rage? I’ve been around since launch, logged thousands of hours in game (no I will not say how many >.> ), and haven’t gotten a single precursor — Whats more, I’m Okay with that. I already find that there are too many legendary weapon particle effects flying around for my liking. They are not even “Legendary” anymore. I’m okay with not getting one from the toilet or the RNG gods, as they were supposed to be really and truly RARE.

If your luck is horrible, like mine is, then there is always the option to farm until you can afford to buy it off the TP. Is this not the case?

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

*Precursor Rage*

Riss.1536

I will just quote myself.

So now it’s normal gameplay to give your gold to someone who just had a lucky drop ?
Is it that difficult to recognize that precursors are just a broken part of the game ?
Except in Diablo 3 when they had auction house, I’ve never seen a game where players were OK with being farmed by the luckiest.

*Precursor Rage*

Posted by: cmud.5689

cmud.5689

I will just quote myself.

So now it’s normal gameplay to give your gold to someone who just had a lucky drop ?
Is it that difficult to recognize that precursors are just a broken part of the game ?
Except in Diablo 3 when they had auction house, I’ve never seen a game where players were OK with being farmed by the luckiest.

A person who obtained a lucky precursor is still infinitaly further away to obtain a legendary as a whole than a person actively working towards it but having only half-of the money required to buy a precursor. I am not defending it, but I just wish people would stop thinking about Legendaries as “precursor=auto legendary in 1 week incoming.” I just consider precursors as a mandatory gold sink that is supposed to shoo away people. They could easily remove precursors from the game and instead say, from now…you will need 900 extra Icy runestones as part of the standard recepi.

banished from time and space

*Precursor Rage*

Posted by: Clemy.8290

Clemy.8290

Yeah, but the basis if that wiki page came from https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/looking-ahead-guild-wars-2-in-2013/ which is from July 2013. So it looks like it is just another broken promise from ANET.

*Precursor Rage*

Riss.1536

but I just wish people would stop thinking about Legendaries as “precursor=auto legendary in 1 week incoming.”

And that’s exactly why you shouldn’t accept precursors at their current prices. You already have to grind a large amount of money for the other gifts.

*Precursor Rage*

Posted by: iriyabran.6218

iriyabran.6218

Just wanna drop this here.
Seems like buying a precursor is starting to get meaningless. Better sell your mats and buy the finished legendary, huh..

Attachments:

*Precursor Rage*

Valento.9852

I believe the intended price for precursors should be capped around 500g at the very maximum. The post above mine just shows how KITTENING messed up this thing is getting, to a point it becomes ridiculous.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

*Precursor Rage*

Posted by: Static.9841

Static.9841

Seems like buying a precursor is starting to get meaningless. Better sell your mats and buy the finished legendary, huh..

Do you realise this sudden spike is due to the new changes to Eternity? People are taking advantage of this.

[Zeus] Guild ~ Desolation. Not some silly muffin thing, stop stalking me Dhiania!

*Precursor Rage*

Posted by: crizpynutz.9062

crizpynutz.9062

Someone who’s been lucky telling a perma unlucky player that it’s beneficial to my enjoyment that I haven’t been lucky… My head exploded just a little.

That’s because it is only in your head.

I couldn’t care less about Legendaries, they are nothing more than shinies to chase after. If that’s your thing, realize that it is supposed to be really really really really hard to get them. Complaining because the system works as intended is not going to get you any sympathy, if you don’t like it find another goal.

Really really really really hard to get would be fine, but it’s not hard to get. That would imply there is some method, path, etc that I could complete and get a precursor. There are only two ways to get one; 1) dumb luck in a drop or in MF, and 2) dedicating thousands of gold to buy it. I had just about put away the 580g for Dusk then wardrobe came out and the price doubled.

Really hard to get would be a reward well earned, not obtain through dumb luck, insane gem purchase or countless hours of mindless farming. I am not looking for sympathy, remember you are in a Precursor Rage thread and IMO – which I am – entitled to, is that the system is kitten whether working as designed or not.

Just my two Lincolns.

(edited by crizpynutz.9062)

*Precursor Rage*

Posted by: iriyabran.6218

iriyabran.6218

Do you realise this sudden spike is due to the new changes to Eternity? People are taking advantage of this.

People were “taking advantage” when the legendaries got updated few months ago but I don’t see any precursor prices going down since then.
I bought Storm shortly before the update for 280g. Now it’s 650g. your argument is invalid.

*Precursor Rage*

Leamas.5803

Hmmm, still over 1200g for The Legend. I don’t have the time, patience or money to farm, flip or buy that kind of gold or the mats to make rares to feed to the forge. At this point, I think I’ll be abandoning my pursuit of a legendary weapon as I’ll be playing much less over the summer anyway. Perhaps it’s time for another extended break.

Remember this from the manifesto?
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/guild-wars-2-design-manifesto/

GW2 doesn’t fall into the traps of traditional MMORPGs. It doesn’t suck your life away and force you onto a grinding treadmill.

Well, I guess it’s not entirely inaccurate, but if you want anything worthwhile in this game, it’s a terrible grind of farming. They should remove that from the manifesto as it’s completely misleading.