PvE Dueling

PvE Dueling

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Phadde.7362

Phadde.7362

After the inclusion of Ascended gear to the game, I’m pretty much against the idea of dueling in anything except sPvP land. in sPvP, I know at least that we are on the same playing field when it comes to stats, and that a stat advantage had nothing to do with it. With ascended gear in PvE, I wouldn’t accept a single duel since I’d never known whether I’m about to fight a guy decked out in full purples just another exotic bum like myself.

Well, as someone who would really much like having a dueling system in the game and that knows that it will bring a ton of enjoyment for a lot of people, frankly I don’t care if someone occasionally duels me in full ascended if it means that I can enjoy dueling nonetheless.
If you don’t want to accept duels because the attributes will almost never be equal, then that’s fine.
You could always duel in the Mists where you actually have your PvP build activated, or duel someone is PvE while naked =)

Vote for/against <dueling>: http://strawpoll.me/1650018/
Cred to Latinkuro
Gw2 is a masterpiece at it’s foundation. Content-wise however…

PvE Dueling

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

You conveniently ignore that Custom Arena do not work.

Then the simplest solution to the whole problem (one that has been proposed since the very beginning of the thread, and for some reason consequently ignored) is to make them work.
It is much easier for Anet to improve on already existing system, than to make a new one from scratch. Additionally, it would make duels available without putting them in the face of people that do not want any PvP in their PvE.

Only way to do that is to give free custom servers for everyone. But that won’t make any profit and that will create tons of needless servers. It will turn into a loss more than a profit.

They already do that. Every non-private hotjoin server is a custom arena hosted by anet. What they need to do is to create a number of 1v1 arenas (and if someone wants to use their own custom arenas for this, it’s even better, since they will pay).

Or the alternative, just create dueling.

That’s one of the points – it’s not “just create”. They’d have to basically make a completely new subsystem. And then keep removing bugs and quirks from it for the next year. On the other hand allowing 1v1 duels in the mists is a relatively minor work.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

PvE Dueling

Posted by: Stars.2179

Stars.2179

Here, you all want dueling so bad, I’ve got your solution.

Gem Store Item – 800 gems – Dueling Flag: Use issues a challenge to selected other player in possession of a dueling flag. If used on a player without a dueling flag, there is no effect and your dueling flag goes on a 15 sec cooldown. May not be used in instances, sPvP, or WvW.

WOOT!! Best idea in this thread!

PvE Dueling

Posted by: NewTrain.7549

NewTrain.7549

Gem Store Item – 800 gems – Dueling Flag: Use issues a challenge to selected other player in possession of a dueling flag. If used on a player without a dueling flag, there is no effect and your dueling flag goes on a 15 sec cooldown. May not be used in instances, sPvP, or WvW.

Make it unlimited and make it if it’s in the bank it’s not considered in possession. One inventory slot isn’t going to hinder too many and will let players who may not want to always want to have to worry about being asked for a duel a means to “auto-decline”.

And while a dueling boon is active, nearby foes (including other duelers, if that’s possible) can’t harm you. Meaning griefers not in the duel can’t run that mob into your duel to ruin it.

You also can’t hurt other foes and you aren’t counted as in the event as to not effect scaling of nearby events.

Yes, as I imagined the item it would be unlimited use, inventory counts as possession bank does not, and if you want to auto-decline you leave said item in the bank.

As for invulnerability to the environment; no. This is where you need to be selective about where you use the item.

How about this? No.

I’ll accept that if they sold Elder Dragon boss battle behind a gem shop purchase. Not an expansion, not a dungeon, just a single elder dragon boss. No one is allowed to fight it except people that bought the privilege to fight it.

Then clearly dueling isn’t that important a feature to you if you’re unwilling to pay for it (either through gold earned in game or real money).

PvE Dueling

Posted by: Scrambles.2604

Scrambles.2604

How about this? No.

I’ll accept that if they sold Elder Dragon boss battle behind a gem shop purchase. Not an expansion, not a dungeon, just a single elder dragon boss. No one is allowed to fight it except people that bought the privilege to fight it.

Then clearly dueling isn’t that important a feature to you if you’re unwilling to pay for it (either through gold earned in game or real money).

I would pay for it (in gold, heh) but it would be a shame to have to pay for something that is a standard feature in other MMOs. It would be like have to pay to be able to send party invites.

Otherwise, it’s a good suggestion, even if several iterations of that idea have been suggested over and over. Despite our best efforts, it’s unfortunate that there is a contingent of people that will be against dueling until the potential for harassment is completely eliminated (which is impossible).

(edited by Scrambles.2604)

PvE Dueling

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

Open world dueling has no place in GW2. It’s simply not that kind of game. PvE is cooperative in nature and dueling goes against that. However, dueling would fit in perfectly in SouthSun under the control of the Consortium. Imagine if there were Queen’s Gauntlet style arenas there where you and one other could, for a few coin of course, purchase access to a time-limited 1v1 fight, allowing for spectators of course. Yes, you’d have to queue up (but enough arenas could alleviate that) and wait your turn, but while waiting you’d be watching other 1v1 matches going on. From there you could organize 1v1 tournaments, allow for a wall to post challenges on (“Mesmer taking on all comers!”), even, if you’re so bold, allow for the two parties (only) to place a small wager on the outcome (a Consortium representative will act as the third party, holding the wager money and paying the winner, minus a small tip of course, and the wager would need to have a low cap, maybe 5g to prevent gold sellers from abusing this as a transfer method). You want to duel someone? Go to the SouthSun Dueling ArenasĀ® and conquer the world!

• Trademark registered with the Tyrian Patent and Trademark Office and the Official Trademark Council of Rata Sum. The Consortium (henceforth “we”) own or license all copyright rights in the text, images, photographs, video, audio, graphics, user interface, and other content associated with the SouthSun Dueling Arenas (henceforth “SSDA”), and the selection, coordination, and arrangement of such content (whether by us or by you), to the full extent provided under the copyright laws of the Rata Sun, Tyria and other major governments. Except as expressly provided in this Agreement, you are prohibited from copying, reproducing, modifying, distributing, displaying, performing or transmitting any of the contents of the SSDA for any purposes, and nothing otherwise stated or implied in the SSDA confers on you any license or right to do so.
  • You may use the SSDA and the contents contained in the SSDA solely for your own individual non-commercial and informational purposes only. Any other use, including for any commercial purposes, is strictly prohibited without our express prior written consent. Systematic retrieval of data or other content from the SSDA, if you’re intelligent enough to even attempt to do so, whether to create or compile, directly or indirectly, a collection, compilation, database or directory, is prohibited absent our express prior written consent.
#TeamJadeQuarry

PvE Dueling

Scrambles.2604

Dueling doesn’t disrupt cooperation! I don’t know why you guys keeps saying that. It’s just like costume brawl but more fleshed out.

It increases player on player interactions and adds life to the world. It gives players an actual reason to interact with eachother, instead of mindlessly zerging world bosses as a large group of isolated individuals. Quite the opposite, it would encourage MORE cooperation. Players can test builds with eachother, exchange ideas, or help noobs learn how to pvp. All without having to zone to a completely different location.

You say it has no place in GW2, yet the Dev’s think it would be cool to add. I think if the dev’s would like to add it, that is pretty strong evidence that it would indeed fit right in to the game.

PvE Dueling

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

He’s already been reported, but I’m not going to post other people’s pms. If you choose not to believe me, that’s your choice. Dueling just brings out the worst in people. The way you treat others in this thread demonstrates this further.

I got one of these as well yesterday. He titled it ‘your post was infracted’ (no it wasn’t from a mod) and followed it up with ‘for being a kitten kitten carebear.’ I should have screenied it, sadly I did not and it has since been removed (as I did report his sorry kitten.

But hey, we’re just scared, whiny PvEers, blowing everything out of proportion and have no grounds for our concerns.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

PvE Dueling

Scrambles.2604

He’s already been reported, but I’m not going to post other people’s pms. If you choose not to believe me, that’s your choice. Dueling just brings out the worst in people. The way you treat others in this thread demonstrates this further.

I got one of these as well yesterday. He titled it ‘your post was infracted’ (no it wasn’t from a mod) and followed it up with ‘for being a kitten kitten carebear.’ I should have screenied it, sadly I did not and it has since been removed (as I did report his sorry kitten.

But hey, we’re just scared, whiny PvEers, blowing everything out of proportion and have no grounds for our concerns.

That sucks :/

Although, it kind of goes with what i’ve been saying all along. Jerk players don’t need duels to act like jerks. So, yes, you are still blowing the effects of duels out of proportion.

PvE Dueling

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Although, it kind of goes with what i’ve been saying all along. Jerk players don’t need duels to act like jerks. So, yes, you are still blowing the effects of duels out of proportion.

And you think I would have still gotten that if I hadn’t

1) been anti-duel?
2) been actively participating in this thread?

Suuuuuure. If just the topic brings such actions out in people, I really don’t have much of a positive view of how those same people would use such a ‘tool’ in game.

PvE Dueling

Scrambles.2604

1) been anti-duel?

Suuuuuure. If just the topic brings such actions out in people, I really don’t have much of a positive view of how those same people would use such a ‘tool’ in game.

I don’t know why you got the private message. If you’re asking me to speculate, i would guess it would have less to do with being anti-duel and more to do with being unwilling to make concessions. I don’t want that to sound rude cuz personally i got no issue with you. I mean sometimes i feel like i’m talking to a wall but i do respect your perseverance.

If forum posts were predictors of in game activity:

People would only play warriors
Everybody would have ~500 gold
Everyone would be expert TP flippers
WvW would be dominated by a small group of fully ascended geared people
sPvP would be a ghost town
no one would play thieves, but also thieves would be invincible.

So, you can keep referring to forum posts when it supports your argument, i wont stop you. But more often then not, the forums represent the thoughts of the same dozen people that post in the same thread, and not the players actually playing the game.

PvE Dueling

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I don’t know why you got the private message. If you’re asking me to speculate, i would guess it would have less to do with being anti-duel and more to do with being unwilling to make concessions. I don’t want that to sound rude cuz personally i got no issue with you. I mean sometimes i feel like i’m talking to a wall but i do respect your perseverance.

So, you can keep referring to forum posts when it supports your argument, i wont stop you. But more often then not, the forums represent the thoughts of the same dozen people that post in the same thread, and not the players actually playing the game.

sigh

It’s like talking to a stump…

Whatever, carry on.

PvE Dueling

Scrambles.2604

sigh

It’s like talking to a stump…

Whatever, carry on.

Please be reasonable. You get one rude message and ah ha! This is exactly how thing will be when duels are implemented! This one person on the forums represents the entire GW2 community!

PvE Dueling

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Please be reasonable. You get one rude message and ah ha! This is exactly how thing will be when duels are implemented! This one person on the forums represents the entire GW2 community!

I’m not basing anything off a single rude, abusive pm. I am basing it off of:

-actions I have already seen in game
-actions I have seen in games that do have dueling implemented
-actions and comments of the ‘pro dueling’ crowd on these forums across a variety of threads, including this one
-the actions and comments of some of the general forum populace
-and now the addition of the pm

Honestly, based on just basic observation of actions and attitudes in our game, it is my opinion that our concern for the abuse of such a feature is quite justified.

Obviously, you feel otherwise. We’ll leave it at that.

PvE Dueling

Phadde.7362

1) been anti-duel?

Since when do we let vile people and trolls decide how the game should develop?

Cred to Latinkuro

PvE Dueling

LanfearShadowflame.3189

1) been anti-duel?

One word…… Ascended.

PvE Dueling

Scrambles.2604

I’m not basing anything off a single rude, abusive pm. I am basing it off of:

-actions I have already seen in game
-actions I have seen in games that do have dueling implemented
-actions and comments of the ‘pro dueling’ crowd on these forums across a variety of threads, including this one
-the actions and comments of some of the general forum populace
-and now the addition of the pm

Honestly, based on just basic observation of actions and attitudes in our game, it is my opinion that our concern for the abuse of such a feature is quite justified.

Obviously, you feel otherwise. We’ll leave it at that.

But the anti-dueling camp seems like they will not be satisfied with any additional features being added to the game unless there is absolutely no chance it will lead to abuse/harassment…which is completely unrealistic.

Of course, this probably depends on whether they see value in the feature being added, then the risk of harassment becomes a little more acceptable.

PvE Dueling

VOLKON.1290

But the anti-dueling camp seems like they will not be satisfied with any additional features being added to the game unless there is absolutely no chance it will lead to abuse/harassment…which is completely unrealistic.

Of course, this probably depends on whether they see value in the feature being added, then the risk of harassment becomes a little more acceptable.

SouthSun Dueling Arenas would prevent a significant amount of potential harassment. People with a dueling mindset would gather at the dueling arenas where challenges and the like would be the norm and expected and people that don’t want anything to do with dueling would have the entire game outside the dueling arenas still.

#TeamJadeQuarry

PvE Dueling

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Some, yeah sure, of course. Some people have had some really terrible experiences with it and simply enjoy playing a game where they don’t have to deal with it. I can understand that they don’t want to see it implemented.

Beyond that, some people are GW1 vets, and it didn’t have dueling and did just fine. Some would like to see the continuance of that trend.

Just because its a common feature in ‘every other mmo’ does not necessarily mean it has to be part of all of them. Dare to be different.

Others just want to be sure that additional tools and such are implemented / adjusted to handle and curtail abuse of such a feature. And it would be be abused… just like the LFG is abused, and the TP is abused. Its sad, but it’s true that if people can find a way to abuse and exploit something, they will. Obviously there is no way to completely eliminate the possibility of harassment, but actions can be taken to keep it controlled.

PvE Dueling

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

SouthSun Dueling Arenas would prevent a significant amount of potential harassment. People with a dueling mindset would gather at the dueling arenas where challenges and the like would be the norm and expected and people that don’t want anything to do with dueling would have the entire game outside the dueling arenas still.

No matter if it be arenas, mist area, or this idea, so long as it is isolated to an area(s) I do not have to visit (if I choose not to) then I would be satisfied to see it added. If duels are implemented to be open world unregulated, then sorry I will take myself and my money elsewhere. I play this game to relax with my friends after work in a friendly environment, not to be constantly barraged by requests to duel or see such happening with others in the middle of an event.

PvE Dueling

Phadde.7362

1) been anti-duel?

One word…… Ascended.

I don’t think that’s a sufficient answer.

Cred to Latinkuro

PvE Dueling

VOLKON.1290

No matter if it be arenas, mist area, or this idea, so long as it is isolated to an area(s) I do not have to visit (if I choose not to) then I would be satisfied to see it added. If duels are implemented to be open world unregulated, then sorry I will take myself and my money elsewhere. I play this game to relax with my friends after work in a friendly environment, not to be constantly barraged by requests to duel or see such happening with others in the middle of an event.

I far and away prefer the current “no duel” system personally. But I understand the sub-populations desire for them. As much as I prefer “no”, I figured why not come up with a way that fits into the lore and style of the game and would still allow the duelists that which they seek?

The Consortium currently has that catch the crab game as a means (dangerous one at that) for the locals to blow off steam. Dueling arenas run by the Consortium would be a perfect fit into the whole scheme of things.

#TeamJadeQuarry

PvE Dueling

Scrambles.2604

Some, yeah sure, of course. Some people have had some really terrible experiences with it and simply enjoy playing a game where they don’t have to deal with it. I can understand that they don’t want to see it implemented.

Beyond that, some people are GW1 vets, and it didn’t have dueling and did just fine. Some would like to see the continuance of that trend.

Just because its a common feature in ‘every other mmo’ does not necessarily mean it has to be part of all of them. Dare to be different.

Others just want to be sure that additional tools and such are implemented / adjusted to handle and curtail abuse of such a feature. And it would be be abused… just like the LFG is abused, and the TP is abused. Its sad, but it’s true that if people can find a way to abuse and exploit something, they will. Obviously there is no way to completely eliminate the possibility of harassment, but actions can be taken to keep it controlled.

I’m glad we both agree measures can be taken to reduce/deal with instances of harassment

I think we’ve all had bad run ins with other players. I’ve been fortunate enough to not experience any ill-effects of dueling. However, i don’t attribute the context of where my harassment occurred to being the reason for said harassment.

I don’t base my advocacy for duels based off GW1 or because “WoW also had it” but rather the intentions of the dev’s who said open world dueling would be cool, as well as an ingame environment that would be fantastic to take advantage of dueling in.

PvE Dueling

Posted by: sternenstaub.8763

sternenstaub.8763

I really don’t care as long as I will not get asked for a duel every second. If there is something like an auto duel block checkbox I would be ok. Also, not in cities.

The real problem I see, is the people who will cry for class balance in 1v1 situations. This will just make things worse and if there is an actual dueling feature, they would have the right to ask for that balance… That’s why I say no to dueling.

PvE Dueling

Scrambles.2604

I really don’t care as long as I will not get asked for a duel every second. If there is something like an auto duel block checkbox I would be ok. Also, not in cities.

The real problem I see, is the people who will cry for class balance in 1v1 situations. This will just make things worse and if there is an actual dueling feature, they would have the right to ask for that balance… That’s why I say no to dueling.

I hate to break it to you man. You may want to sit down for this. Players already complain about 1v1 balance. And players that have the patience already 1v1 in custom sPvP.

source: i play a thief. or just go to the profession balance subforum, lol.

PvE Dueling

LanfearShadowflame.3189

1) been anti-duel?

One word…… Ascended.

Lol you may not, but there are threads and threads on that topic that support my answer quite nicely.

While it is true that we should not let trolls dictate our lives and how we play, it is also true that not always are player suggestions the best ones for the game either.

PvE Dueling

Scrambles.2604

1) been anti-duel?

One word…… Ascended.

Lol you may not, but there are threads and threads on that topic that support my answer quite nicely.

While it is true that we should not let trolls dictate our lives and how we play, it is also true that not always are player suggestions the best ones for the game either.

who complains about ascended? I remember a lot of resistance before it came out, but now that it’s here i didn’t realize there were any issues with it.

PvE Dueling

LanfearShadowflame.3189

who complains about ascended? I remember a lot of resistance before it came out, but now that it’s here i didn’t realize there were any issues with it.

chokes on her soda

You’re joking right? Please tell me you’re joking…

Did you miss the vertical progression cdi thread a couple of months back that turned into an almost completely ascended discussion?

People still kitten about ascended in threads on here on what seems like a freaking weekly basis. Obviously the change on the 15th to account bound helped some (I think), but people are still kitteny about what it takes to acquire it

Edit: actually, thinking about it, there was just one in the crafting forum earlier in the week, griping about laurels being required in ascended crafting…

PvE Dueling

Posted by: Foosnark.1784

Foosnark.1784

“PVE Dueling” is an oxymoron.

Anyway, I agree with the idea of limiting duels to specific arenas, or requiring a Dueler’s Flag or whatever — something you have to specifically opt in for.

One of the other MMOs I play has basically unrestricted dueling. Almost without fail, this is how it goes:

— I’m doing something else, like shopping at an NPC or picking up/finishing quests.
— Somebody runs up to me and challenges me to a duel, without saying anything first. (Consider what this would be like in real life — someone you’ve never seen before runs up and yells “fight me to the death!” while you’re using an ATM or something.)
-- There is a big, obnoxious effect that makes it obvious that I’ve been challenged. Whatever I’m doing with that NPC is interrupted.
— I decline the duel.
— There is an 80% chance the person will immediately challenge me again, running around in circles and jumping around like a 6 year old who just ate a bag of sugar.
— I sigh, /ignore the player (the only way to block duel requests), and decline again. They keep running around in circles for a while and then go pester the next player they see. Or in rare cases, they follow me around, bunny hopping the entire time, probably trying to goad me into dueling (but their chat is blocked).

This happens pretty much every time I play it. This isn’t something I want to see in GW2, which (A) has a much better PVE system where everything is cooperative, and (B) has a much better PVP system in the first place, and © is much better at maintaining the tone of the setting.

PvE Dueling

Scrambles.2604

chokes on her soda

You’re joking right? Please tell me you’re joking…

Did you miss the vertical progression cdi thread a couple of months back that turned into an almost completely ascended discussion?

People still kitten about ascended in threads on here on what seems like a freaking weekly basis. Obviously the change on the 15th to account bound helped some (I think), but people are still kitteny about what it takes to acquire it

Edit: actually, thinking about it, there was just one in the crafting forum earlier in the week, griping about laurels being required in ascended crafting…

Maybe i just missed it. I remember before ascended armor was released, people would complain that it was going to ruin WvW. Now that it is released i haven’t seen any of that sort of discussion (because ascended armor had no effect on WvW).

PvE Dueling

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Maybe i just missed it. I remember before ascended armor was released, people would complain that it was going to ruin WvW. Now that it is released i haven’t seen any of that sort of discussion (because ascended armor had no effect on WvW).

Meh, people still claim that you can’t “properly” WvW unless you have ascended. The argument about the necessity (or lack) of Ascended is still ongoing and crops up here and there.

But, yeah plenty of threads still, complaining about it.

PvE Dueling

Scrambles.2604

“PVE Dueling” is an oxymoron.

Anyway, I agree with the idea of limiting duels to specific arenas, or requiring a Dueler’s Flag or whatever — something you have to specifically opt in for.

One of the other MMOs I play has basically unrestricted dueling. Almost without fail, this is how it goes:

— I’m doing something else, like shopping at an NPC or picking up/finishing quests.
— Somebody runs up to me and challenges me to a duel, without saying anything first. (Consider what this would be like in real life — someone you’ve never seen before runs up and yells “fight me to the death!” while you’re using an ATM or something.)
-- There is a big, obnoxious effect that makes it obvious that I’ve been challenged. Whatever I’m doing with that NPC is interrupted.
— I decline the duel.
— There is an 80% chance the person will immediately challenge me again, running around in circles and jumping around like a 6 year old who just ate a bag of sugar.
— I sigh, /ignore the player (the only way to block duel requests), and decline again. They keep running around in circles for a while and then go pester the next player they see. Or in rare cases, they follow me around, bunny hopping the entire time, probably trying to goad me into dueling (but their chat is blocked).

This happens pretty much every time I play it. This isn’t something I want to see in GW2, which (A) has a much better PVE system where everything is cooperative, and (B) has a much better PVP system in the first place, and © is much better at maintaining the tone of the setting.

So, when was the last time someone tried to force you to costume brawl?

PvE Dueling

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

You conveniently ignore that Custom Arena do not work.

Then the simplest solution to the whole problem (one that has been proposed since the very beginning of the thread, and for some reason consequently ignored) is to make them work.
It is much easier for Anet to improve on already existing system, than to make a new one from scratch. Additionally, it would make duels available without putting them in the face of people that do not want any PvP in their PvE.

Only way to do that is to give free custom servers for everyone. But that won’t make any profit and that will create tons of needless servers. It will turn into a loss more than a profit.

They already do that. Every non-private hotjoin server is a custom arena hosted by anet. What they need to do is to create a number of 1v1 arenas (and if someone wants to use their own custom arenas for this, it’s even better, since they will pay).

That’s one of the points – it’s not “just create”. They’d have to basically make a completely new subsystem. And then keep removing bugs and quirks from it for the next year. On the other hand allowing 1v1 duels in the mists is a relatively minor work.

Then all 1v1 dueling room will be filled up. I will have to wait till a dueling room is open. 5v5 rooms do fill up quickly, I can’t imagine how much money Anet will have to waste to maintain tons of dueling servers.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

PvE Dueling

runeblade.7514

Make it unlimited and make it if it’s in the bank it’s not considered in possession. One inventory slot isn’t going to hinder too many and will let players who may not want to always want to have to worry about being asked for a duel a means to “auto-decline”.

And while a dueling boon is active, nearby foes (including other duelers, if that’s possible) can’t harm you. Meaning griefers not in the duel can’t run that mob into your duel to ruin it.

You also can’t hurt other foes and you aren’t counted as in the event as to not effect scaling of nearby events.

Yes, as I imagined the item it would be unlimited use, inventory counts as possession bank does not, and if you want to auto-decline you leave said item in the bank.

As for invulnerability to the environment; no. This is where you need to be selective about where you use the item.

How about this? No.

Dueling should be a free feature. This is disgusting practice to sell features that should have been there in the first place.

PvE Dueling

runeblade.7514

What the kitten, I have been Pm’ed from Anti-duelist saying that I should go kill myself.

Very disgusting, guys.

PvE Dueling

Posted by: Dark Catalyst.1028

Dark Catalyst.1028

I just got a nasty PM from an “anti-dueler”. It was fairly rude and abusive, so this one PM totally represents the “anti-dueler” community and I can safely discredit them and disregard their arguments (if they had any that weren’t fallacious). Logical, right?

PvE Dueling

VOLKON.1290

Anyone sending nasty PMs over this thread needs to knock it off, regardless of whether or not they’re actually anti-duel or simply a troll taking the thread out for a joyride.

I’m anti-open world duel, that’s why I chose to propose an alternative that would handle dueling far better than “duel me!” and would keep the PvE world (outside of the South Sun Dueling Arenas) duel-free.

#TeamJadeQuarry

PvE Dueling

runeblade.7514

The PvE world is not duel free right now.

There are multiple skillpoints where you duel a npc.

PvE Dueling

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Wonderful. Then we can consider the case closed, the duels exist and we do not need to change anything.
You won’t believe how overjoyed i am by that news.

Then all 1v1 dueling room will be filled up. I will have to wait till a dueling room is open. 5v5 rooms do fill up quickly

I have yet to wait for a 5v5 room… and i am sure that the 1v1 ones will not be equally popular (especially if they will have disabled progress).

I can’t imagine how much money Anet will have to waste to maintain tons of dueling servers.

Not much. Those are not really “servers”, but small instances that are relatively minor compared to normal zones (remember, only two people at most, no npcs). It’s definitely way less than the value of manhours to develop a solid dueling system.

And again, it’s not “just create”. It’s not as simple as you try to make it sound.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

PvE Dueling

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

the dev’s also said they’d like to add open world duels at some point.

I’m not sure what you’re implying with the yoda picture. I’m not the one doomsaying. There are people here literally saying duels would destroy the game. That is textbook fearmongering. On the contrary, i think there is nothing to fear with the addition of duels to the open world.

Sorry, my feeble attempt to add some humor to what is obviously a serious topic seems to have failed. I’ll delete it.

no worries, dude. I appreciate the attempt to add some levity. I thought you were still trying to debate coach me

No worries also. I actually prefer consensus building to debate, which is why I’m a moderate on some issues — including dueling. I do end up debating some because the forum community is too diverse to even agree on what terms mean.

PvE Dueling

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

1) been anti-duel?

In all fairness…

Discussions about whether a feature is going to even be in the game will generate more extremes of emotion. If someone requests a duel and the other person declines, the dueler can find someone else. If someone thinks another poster is a contributing cause to his never getting to duel anyone in GW2 , that will generate a greater reaction. That’s not to say any given person will or won’t harass in games or forums, just correcting the impression that the propensity for harassment would be greater in game.

PvE Dueling

LanfearShadowflame.3189

In all fairness…

Discussions about whether a feature is going to even be in the game will generate more extremes of emotion. If someone requests a duel and the other person declines, the dueler can find someone else. If someone thinks another poster is a contributing cause to his never getting to duel anyone in GW2 , that will generate a greater reaction. That’s not to say any given person will or won’t harass in games or forums, just correcting the impression that the propensity for harassment would be greater in game.

Yes, that is true. I won’t argue that. However, on the flip side of that coin, it doesn’t mean it wont either. One does not necessarily preclude the other. None of us can see the future so there truly is no accurate way to tell, one way or another. Personally, I prefer the ‘plan for the worst’ approach.

Edit: I give up on spelling today… too many things going on at once lol

(edited by LanfearShadowflame.3189)

PvE Dueling

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

“You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.”
-Inigo Montoya

Within the context of these threads its always pointed towards other players.
Saying stuff like skillpoints or NPCs is an example of dueling is like saying costume brawl is a fine example of PvP in the Open World.

It isn’t because it is an activity which doesn’t take your stats into consideration.

Back to the original point, dueling with a skillpoint or NPC is simply beating down a scripted AI.
It doesn’t get better, it doesn’t complain that it had lag, it doesn’t jump up and down whispering derogatory comments if it loses or wins, and it doesn’t refit itself for a rematch.

Therefore these PvE duels you use as an example aren’t even examples to help your case.

If you want 1v1 open world PvP, which is really the whole concept for these duel requests, then fix the WvWvW because there’s your Open World PvP environment.
Even Colin agrees that WvWvW is a really good middle ground between PvE and PvP:

We feel like WvW is a really good middle-ground between PvE and PvP and want to encourage people to think of the mists as part of our world they should explore and experience,…

Yes the response comes from a Map Completion/WvWvW related question, but the answer still shows how ANet seems to see their game.
PvP has one world utterly to themselves: sPvP
PvE has one world utterly to themselves: PvE
Both share one world: WvWvW, so stick it there.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

(edited by Atlas.9704)

PvE Dueling

Posted by: Shadey Dancer.2907

Shadey Dancer.2907

Not sure I could cope with the pvp egos in pve. If you want to duel, keep it in pvp.

PvE Dueling

Posted by: bob.5680

bob.5680

However, they don’t pester you to accept the challenge. Indeed, you have to approach them and ask for it most of the time. Not at all the same experience.

PvE Dueling

Scrambles.2604

“You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.”
-Inigo Montoya

Saying stuff like skillpoints or NPCs is an example of dueling is like saying costume brawl is a fine example of PvP in the Open World.

It isn’t because it is an activity which doesn’t take your stats into consideration.

Back to the original point, dueling with a skillpoint or NPC is simply beating down a scripted AI.
It doesn’t get better, it doesn’t complain that it had lag, it doesn’t jump up and down whispering derogatory comments if it loses or wins, and it doesn’t refit itself for a rematch.

Therefore these PvE duels you use as an example aren’t even examples to help your case.

If you want 1v1 open world PvP, which is really the whole concept for these duel requests, then fix the WvWvW because there’s your Open World PvP environment.
Even Colin agrees that WvWvW is a really good middle ground between PvE and PvP:

We feel like WvW is a really good middle-ground between PvE and PvP and want to encourage people to think of the mists as part of our world they should explore and experience,…

Yes the response comes from a Map Completion/WvWvW related question, but the answer still shows how ANet seems to see their game.
PvP has one world utterly to themselves: sPvP
PvE has one world utterly to themselves: PvE
Both share one world: WvWvW, so stick it there.

The only reason i brought up skill point challenges was to refute the claim made by some people that they didn’t want to be bothered by seeing peoples skills and particle effects going off in the open world.

There have been claims that it is annoying to see skills being used around towns/npcs/busy work locations, yet many skill point challenges are located right there in town. It’s a silly point to make (i admit) against an even sillier argument.

I mention costume brawls because that is the closest thing we have to open world duels yet there are little to no instances of abuse reported as a result of costume brawl. Yet you could make the exact same claims for potential harassment about costume brawl. The potential most definitely exists, but just because the potential exists doesn’t mean it is a common occurrence.

Finally, if you’re going to quote Colin, why don’t you use a quote from him about actual open world duels (linked on the firstt page) instead of extrapolating from an unrelated topic.

I would consider myself pretty bias towards implementing relatively unrestricted open world duels, but any suggestion to stick them only in WvW is a terrible idea. If you are in WvW you should be helping your server, not utilizing the only available location to duel. We already have the issue with WvW being the only real place for GvG. Add in duels and there would be very little actual WvWing going on in WvW.

PvE Dueling

NewTrain.7549

How about this? No.

Dueling should be a free feature. This is disgusting practice to sell features that should have been there in the first place.

But it wasn’t there in the first place and it was obvious it wasn’t there. There was no false advertising, it was stated dueling would not be in the game at launch, yet you bought it anyway.

So, with that in mind, I reiterate that dueling obviously is not that important to you if you refuse to pay for it (either in in-game currency or real money).

PS: Even though I suggested a method for dueling to get into the game that would address most people’s concerns, I received a death threat PM from someone who called me a “carebear”.

PvE Dueling

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

But it wasn’t there in the first place and it was obvious it wasn’t there. There was no false advertising, it was stated dueling would not be in the game at launch, yet you bought it anyway.

I did not see any mention that dueling was intended to not be included in the game by a dev. I have seen a dev post indicating that they desire to put dueling into the game. Someone seeing that might subsequently buy the game with the expectation that they would, at some point, possibly have the option to engage in open world dueling in GW2.

Stating that something will not be included for launch does not mean that it is not intended to be included ever.

Then again the Teq revamp did not exist at launch, nor did Southsun, nor the living story, guild halls, the account wallet, etc. Any content released post launch by definition did not exist at launch…

One of the arguments used as an attempt to counter requests for open world dueling with some degree of frequency is that it is somehow in conflict with the game’s lore. The reference to dueling NPC’s is a reasonable, in my opinion, counter to that counter. The game’s lore accepts the concept of individuals engaging in duels in the open world.

I do.

GW1 didn’t have an open world in which to duel. Continuing that trend would require restricting zones to an eight player cap (with two specific exceptions).

PvE Dueling

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

OMG guys i also got a rude PM!

You can’t even control yourself from trolling in a thread about dueling. Way to speak for your cause. Good job.

Edit: Scrambles posted a fake PM screen shot from Colin that used derogatory words.. His post has been deleted either by him or mods. Just mentioning this so my post makes sense.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

PvE Dueling

NewTrain.7549

I did not see any mention that dueling was intended to not be included in the game by a dev. I have seen a dev post indicating that they desire to put dueling into the game. Someone seeing that might subsequently buy the game with the expectation that they would, at some point, possibly have the option to engage in open world dueling in GW2.

Stating that something will not be included for launch does not mean that it is not intended to be included ever.

Then again the Teq revamp did not exist at launch, nor did Southsun, nor the living story, guild halls, the account wallet, etc. Any content released post launch by definition did not exist at launch…

This is a non-sequitur. I made no mention of intention (or not) to include after launch. We’re discussing basic features. When something is claimed as a “basic feature” it means something included with the product at the time of initial purchase for no extra cost. It was very clear dueling was not a basic feature of GW2.