The Cantha Thread [Merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Shanna.4762

Shanna.4762

Cantha was by far my favourite area of GW. I am devistated to here that we won’t be able to return.

We don’t know that, yet. Get people to ask for it, and continue discussing what we’d like to see and we may get there

Posted by: Mouhappai.5406

Mouhappai.5406

To the Anet devs! If and when Cantha returns, please make it look and sound like this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOVOB9oD97I
It would be the most lovely expansion, ever.

Posted by: Rash.6514

Rash.6514

That is interesting. I have never seen Cantha as an Asian themed place exclusively. If I remember correctly, the Kurzicks had some references to Eastern Europe and the Luxons had some references to Greece and Turkey.

Posted by: Ayane Hajinmon.9165

Ayane Hajinmon.9165

so the Chinese and Korean didnt approve of their art mixing with each other…why not try Southeast Asian…they got great mix of art there
http://tinyurl.com/bqpos7u
http://tinyurl.com/c58sux4
http://tinyurl.com/cou4wc5
http://tinyurl.com/cn47wgp
http://tinyurl.com/cf7mhth

Posted by: Sythus.2396

Sythus.2396

If in the future we get an Asian themed expansion I would scream of happiness. I love their culture, art, buildings etc. For now we can only wait and hope!

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

Factions was the first game I bought.
I’d be extremely devastated if Arena Net really decided not to return to Cantha.

Also, remember, Kaineng already looked like a “modern city” for GW universe, maybe in 250 years they have evolved so far they already have huge modern skyscrapers…
You know, Tokyo… Japan…

Posted by: Seraki.2753

Seraki.2753

“NCsoft was firm in its decision to stay away from “Asian” themes and keep it “universal.”

As I understand it the original Guild Wars was created before NCSoft bought out Anet. Now it is all up to NCSoft as they own Anet. Perhaps the representation of Asian culture in Guild Wars Factions was not the way they liked? Just guessing. Anyway I never say never in game expansions, a year down the road and things may change a lot.

Shanna.4762

That is interesting. I have never seen Cantha as an Asian themed place exclusively. If I remember correctly, the Kurzicks had some references to Eastern Europe and the Luxons had some references to Greece and Turkey.

Almost exclusively, about 90%. Kurzick’s and Luxon’s were inspired by Russia & China, at least it mostly seems to resemble a mix of the two, which is probably drawn from the fact that the eastern/southern most part of Russia in the Imperial era were heavily influenced by China due to being so close by.

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

This thread needs to keep going. I want Cantha. I will be sorely disappointed if we never see large scale expansions that incorporate non-western fantasy elements into GW2.

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

We must keep this thread going.
Who remembers this song – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I17ZUalbY9s

Posted by: Serephen.3420

Serephen.3420

Cantha and Factions to me, were everything right about Guild Wars 1

Posted by: Leo Paul.1659

Leo Paul.1659

For me, Factions made GW1 great. 60% of the world population is asian. How can it be ‘universal’ when they aren’t represented well enough?

Queen Of The Moors (Blackgate)
Deaths Fear [Fear] / The Hardcore Caravan [HC]
Forum Warrior: Black Belt in Ninja Edits

Rash.6514

Almost exclusively, about 90%. Kurzick’s and Luxon’s were inspired by Russia & China, at least it mostly seems to resemble a mix of the two, which is probably drawn from the fact that the eastern/southern most part of Russia in the Imperial era were heavily influenced by China due to being so close by.

Of course the Kurzick were inspired on the eastern part of Russia. That is because House zu Heltzer, House Vasburg, House Brauer, House Lutgardis and House Durheim really sound like Russian…

And between the Echovald Forest (where “wald” means forest in German) and the Crystal Sea, I believe they take about 40% of Cantha’s map.

Posted by: Aethersong.5189

Aethersong.5189

As with many people, Cantha was one of my favorite areas in the first game. Some of the city slums I found a little dull, but there were also many scenic and beautiful areas that I could only imagine would look even better in Guild Wars 2.

Overall, a lot of disappointment in hearing about the decision not to include Cantha in Guild Wars 2. Hopefully that design choice will change. (Along with it filling in the Great Collapse and actually adding a Cantha district!?)

Posted by: Chewablesleeptablet.3185

Chewablesleeptablet.3185

This is a tragedy. Cantha cannot just disappear. There were great stories, architecture and landscapes that really gave Prophecy owners a fresh feel back then. To erase that from a fan’s memory is to lose respect from them.

Where do I go when I play GW1? Cantha

Why should Anet listen to outside sources and NCsoft when developing their game? I remember someone saying that Anet doesn’t but this is clearly not the case on this decision.

It would be awesome to make Cantha stand-alone…. Impossible you say? I think not. At least something like that would be reminiscent of the past stand-alone campaigns. Would probably take another 7 years to make but hey it would definitely be worth it.

Posted by: ScottBroChill.3254

ScottBroChill.3254

I want my rit and the Kurzick/Luxon explorable areas. Those were some really cool places to explore. And if they’re no longer stone and jade it would be really cool to see the changes.

Shanna.4762

Of course the Kurzick were inspired on the eastern part of Russia. That is because House zu Heltzer, House Vasburg, House Brauer, House Lutgardis and House Durheim really sound like Russian…

And between the Echovald Forest (where “wald” means forest in German) and the Crystal Sea, I believe they take about 40% of Cantha’s map.

In name yeah but when you look at the aesthetic and attire of the NPC’s they aren’t german…Like at all…In fact the female Kurzick’s wore an outfit that is extremely similar to a type of dress that was popular in Russia among the aristocracy or highborn houses. When you get to the ‘gothic’ architecture, it’s a style that was common in Europe and Russia alike. So yeah, there is a German influence with names but most of it isn’t the visual aesthetic of that region of Cantha.

(edited by Shanna.4762)

Posted by: Linnea.5146

Linnea.5146

Honestly, didn’t read everything, but I just want to say:

I LOVED Cantha and Elona. I played those two the most BY FAR. Pleasepleaseplease bring them back!! It would be so epic! GW2 doesn’t feel complete without them, and that’s what I’ve been feeling ever since I started playing it. I love this game too, but it’s missing my favorite places. Imagine Vabbi, an arabian-nights-dream in GW2. Or Kaineng City. I don’t even care if they continue mixing Japan and China as happily as they did in GW1.

And I love how they could make a Sakoku reference with Cantha being shut off So much intriguing historical material to build on.

Posted by: VaileCearo.3819

VaileCearo.3819

My dear canthan revolutioners.
I’ve finished my fan-made music ! It will buff you for the pacific/lovely fight over here !

=> https://soundcloud.com/lzn02/gw2-dream-of-cantha

Take care !

O.o I see another musician. All the cookies sir! All the cookies. XD

Creativity is my weapon of choice my good sir.

Rash.6514

When you get to the ‘gothic’ architecture, it’s a style that was common in Europe and Russia alike. So yeah, there is a German influence with names but most of it isn’t the visual aesthetic of that region of Cantha.

Look, I don’t want to extend this conversation because I believe we’re getting off topic here. So, to wrap it up, first there is Gothic art everywhere, even in Latin America, so saying that there was Gothic art in Russia doesn’t mean anything. The Goths were a Germanic tribe from the north of Europe and their culture and their art was spread to the rest of the world. However, the architectural style appeared in France.

http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/mgot/hd_mgot.htm

Basically all the Kurzick style is gothic with some eastern Europe influence and a lot of ANet’s own creation. Several of the Kurzick and Luxons NPCs do look asian, but I guess this is mostly due to the characterization of the whole region in the game.

http://www.google.com/images?q=kurzick

Which doesn’t look much like Kazakhstan region or Mongolia (which is really close to China).

(edited by Rash.6514)

Posted by: Lady Vireo.5189

Lady Vireo.5189

Hello again, fellow Canthan revolutionaries! So happy to see our megathread still thriving. ^^

Oh I do I do…I adore the Factions music so much. Jeremy Soule’s stuff is some of my favorite music ever, from anything, and his pieces for Factions are at the top of list.

I’ve finished my fan-made music ! It will buff you for the pacific/lovely fight over here !

Take care !

Ah, you guys are so talented! Please keep inspiring our movement with epic themes to march to!

I was running around Divinnity’s Reach the other day and heard the dialogue that goes something like this:

“It’s so hard to find good Canthan cuisine anymore.”
“What do you expect? After 100 years without trade, it’s hard to keep things authentic.”
“My grandma used to make the best red bean cakes. I’d kill for one of those. I bet you think I’m joking.”
“I hear the, uh, Commons has some… I’d show but I…have to be…somewhere else! NOW. Good day!”

Yes. Cantha is just that important.

A Dev has spoken:Cantha is definitely not cut from the game
Show your support for Cantha’s return in GW2! Please join us in the Cantha Thread.
Many thanks to Wooden Potatoes for his outstanding lore video, a real tribute to Cantha.

Shanna.4762

Hello again, fellow Canthan revolutionaries! So happy to see our megathread still thriving. ^^

Oh I do I do…I adore the Factions music so much. Jeremy Soule’s stuff is some of my favorite music ever, from anything, and his pieces for Factions are at the top of list.

Take care !

Ah, you guys are so talented! Please keep inspiring our movement with epic themes to march to!

I was running around Divinnity’s Reach the other day and heard the dialogue that goes something like this:

“It’s so hard to find good Canthan cuisine anymore.”
“What do you expect? After 100 years without trade, it’s hard to keep things authentic.”
“My grandma used to make the best red bean cakes. I’d kill for one of those. I bet you think I’m joking.”
“I hear the, uh, Commons has some… I’d show but I…have to be…somewhere else! NOW. Good day!”

Yes. Cantha is just that important.

Yup! I like hearing random banter from NPC’s about Cantha. The temple area with the Canthan scholar and random Canthan people walking around makes me depressed lol

Posted by: Lord Rager.8543

Lord Rager.8543

GW Factions was the game that got me hooked into me playing for 3000+ hours on my main acct and even started an alt acct. Truth be told, it was my favort place in all of GW1. Loved the jade sea, the mobs, story, and turtles. Kurzick had that goth feel and even if a good chunck of the forest was stone, it looked more alive. if you head up north in Factions, your map was a huge city for your playground.

Cantha needs to have a return into GW2. You could always change the theme of it to something less asian since it cut itself from the rest of the world.

Commander The Tallest Rager
Darkhaven Asuran Guardian
S O T D Warband [SotD]

Posted by: Deified.7520

Deified.7520

Well I think we can all agree that a topic with 550+ replies and 42264 views, most of the replies supporting cantha, that the community of Gw2 supports anet in the development and release of a cantha universe.

Posted by: rajjy.4832

rajjy.4832

Posted here before, but I’m returning to post again to show my interest in seeing Cantha (and Elona) return in GW2. If it’s put in there, you can bet that I’ll throw my money at it. DO IT NOW NCSOFT. You’ve disappointed me already… Don’t disappoint me (and likely many others as well) again.

Posted by: Albert Of Tyria.2149

Albert Of Tyria.2149

Anet, the message is clear: We want Cantha at all costs. We are ready to do anything to obtain it: when we will reach your offices with a giant luxon turtle upgraded with a cannon…i’m sure you will introduce cantha. And..do not listen Ncsoft :V (yes yes..i know that you must listen them). But you are great artists, you loved cantha and cantha was one of your best work..you must be proud of what you have created, and you have the possibility to see that “your best work” in a new and Amazing look. Please do not forget the emotions that it gave and that it could give again…to you..and to us. (sorry for my english).

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Dikeido.8436

Dikeido.8436

“NCsoft was firm in its decision to stay away from “Asian” themes and keep it “universal.”

As I understand it the original Guild Wars was created before NCSoft bought out Anet. Now it is all up to NCSoft as they own Anet. Perhaps the representation of Asian culture in Guild Wars Factions was not the way they liked? Just guessing. Anyway I never say never in game expansions, a year down the road and things may change a lot.

It could be due to korean racism, from what I understand to them mixing with other race is a NO NO.

Posted by: Erukk.1408

Erukk.1408

If Cantha was in from the beginning, and was a big part of the start of the game, new players, that haven’t played gw1, could mistake gw2 as just another Asian grinder MMO and not buy it. Them keeping the visual styles “universal” they would be able to draw in more of an audience.

Once they got a big enough player base, and when it would fit lore; I can easily see us going back to Cantha and Elona as well.

As for the Great Collapse part, it allows them to test out more styles for the Cantha architecture, since I guess China and Korea didn’t agree with theirs. When they come out with a (possibly China and Korea approved)new one, they can transfer that art style to Cantha itself.

Shanna.4762

Their player base is probably going to continue growing for a while since the game is new-ish, but I think most long-term players would already be playing in NA/EU. WTB more information on Cantha news!

Posted by: Zil.3071

Zil.3071

this : Cantha and Factions to me, were everything right about Guild Wars 1.

it is what draw me into the virtual world and kept me immerse for hours. it felt like i was in a dangerous back streets of hong kong slums and someone was gona jump me any time.

Posted by: Sithaco.4673

Sithaco.4673

Cantha was amazing in Guild Wars 1, I loved it, and will be truly sad if it does not return, there is so much I want to see, and talk about lore! How much they can do with the lore there! Please please please Arenanet do everything you can to bring it back?

Posted by: Ketto.6508

Ketto.6508

I’ve posted in this thread before, but this thread should be at the top of this forum as much as possible. I want ArenaNet and NCsoft to be completely aware of how much the community wants Cantha to return.

It brought by far the most diverse and unique environments to GW1 — something I know everyone would like to see in GW2.

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

They should have said this earlier, before the release of the full game. Most old gw1 players were counting on expansions and Cantha being the most popular one. Who would not like to see the jade sea, the echovald forest, the gothic weapons, the state of the 2 big dungeons. I feel cheated now.

Posted by: Muku.8056

Muku.8056

Cantha brought me to GW, which subsequently brought me to GW2. Without Cantha’s expansion I wouldn’t have been able to typed this. Please let us sail back to Cantha, I want to see what happened to the lands that we traversed on hundreds of years in the past.

Posted by: Veldan.4637

Veldan.4637

cantha / elona > tyria

I really hope they make it into GW2 as expansion sometime, and if they do I hope Arenanet can create the same feeling in them as they did in GW, cause they had some of the nicest zones and coolest enemies I saw in all games I played.

Posted by: Creeper.9360

Creeper.9360

Cantha was my favorite area in Guild Wars as well.

It looks like NCSoft has a lot more development say on ArenaNet than I thought. A shame that.

Posted by: grifflyman.8102

grifflyman.8102

This is the worst thing that could possibly happen for me…

I was so excited to see what Cantha would look like on this amazing engine and for it not to be in the game is a travesty…

I almost feel like quitting knowing that my favorite zone won’t ever show up.

Posted by: Lady Vireo.5189

Lady Vireo.5189

I almost feel like quitting knowing that my favorite zone won’t ever show up.

Take heart! The devs have not yet stated Cantha will NEVER return…just that it could be a long time in coming, and may need a lot of support from fans to make it back into the game. (You can check out the posts linked in my signature for Josh Foreman’s exact words on this…they are in this thread but not always easy to find among the many replies).

So what we can take from this is that it is up to us to keep the lines of communication open between us and the ANet team and keep up the energy and momentum behind our requests for Cantha in a constructive and positive way.

On that note, thank you to all the new and returning contributors to this thread. It is so great to read your posts and see your support for Cantha. The devs are listening!

WTB more information on Cantha news!

Yes indeed! It would be really awesome to get another red post right about now… Maybe when Mr. Foreman is done with his vacation and the Super Adventure Box for this month, he will return to us.

A Dev has spoken:Cantha is definitely not cut from the game
Show your support for Cantha’s return in GW2! Please join us in the Cantha Thread.
Many thanks to Wooden Potatoes for his outstanding lore video, a real tribute to Cantha.

Posted by: Scyte.2801

Scyte.2801

I think most of us have kinda come to the point where an expansion would be very welcome. There is so much stuff to expand on in this game though. We currently still have over half of the Tyrian map (The land Tyria, not the planet.) to see, wich could bring an insane ammount of new content to us. Besides that there is Elona, a map that I want to see back in GW2 just as well as Cantha. Also there is a potential for completely new maps since the world is much bigger than just Tyria, Cantha and Elona.

So even if it is going to take years before we will set foot on cantha, there is still so much potential content that could be released in between. I really hope that this game will expand more than GW1 has done (Don’t get me wrong, i loved GW1 for a good 10k hours over 6 years), and even if Cantha may not return in this game, they better give us a mind blowingly awesome alternative.

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

Ok, i been looking at somethings recently, and though its been said before, i think its just going to be a fact.

NCSOFT nixed cantha primarily because of blade and soul. Looking at their spread of MMOs, its clear they are willing to produce multiple MMOs but they dont want them canabalizing each other.
this generation they are planning on releasing
Blade and soul
wildstar
gw2

as is all of these tackle fairly different genres and playstyles. You could easily see a player playing all of these games, or possibly only having 1 than fits his demographic. So they killed the asian themed things in GW, because they dont want to canabalize the market of Blade and soul. After all, they are basically marketing Blade and soul as a very different asian themed MMO, if GW2 has cantha, and spiritulists, martial arts masters, and an asian themed story/world, its offering a lot of the selling points of blade and soul.

SOOO probably not going to happen, the only way cantha may make a comeback is after enough time passes that ncsoft doesnt really care, an extremely large desire from the user base for it, or if cantha is substantially different from blade and soul world, which means it either becomes a lot less asian themed (which seems kind of why botherish) or its period of history is substantially different. IE cantha developed faster for whatever reason and is more of a steampunk or industrial experience, which I might find interesting, but it probably isnt what people want.

Posted by: Itachi Hitokiri.6348

Itachi Hitokiri.6348

Just posting to support the addition of Cantha, really enjoyed playing in it in gw1, unique designes and beautiful environments.

Posted by: Mada.5319

Mada.5319

The very fact that this thread is still on the first page after 5 months must mean something. Come on Anet/NCSoft! Don’t give up on Cantha! We adore it way too much.

Posted by: Vaulken.6983

Vaulken.6983

I support the cause!

Posted by: DOW Mageski.2097

DOW Mageski.2097

Yes, bring back Cantha!

#OccupySAB2014 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Forgotten Vanguard [TFV], a 18+ great guild. On the Gandara server.
Join. http://forgottenvanguard.enjin.com/

Posted by: Deesturbed.9465

Deesturbed.9465

I very much hope that they reconsider. It would be extremely disappointing otherwise.

Posted by: Serephen.3420

Serephen.3420

Arena Net….if you bring Cantha to Guild Wars 2 I will love you forever

Posted by: Xigua.5327

Xigua.5327

cantha, catha. cantha!

Posted by: Blade Kuroda.1795

Blade Kuroda.1795

Factions was the first GW game that I got, and it was the only one of the group I had for many years, so Cantha definitely has a very special place in my heart. I seriously hope that one day we’ll be able to explore it once more. I want to see how things have changed within the past 250 years!

Posted by: Yamani.7529

Yamani.7529

Now unlike some I can’t claim that I started in Cantha, in GW1 I played prophecies for quite a while before Factions came out, but my mind was still blown when I discovered all that this new continent had to offer. The views and scenery, the new professions and skills. The Factions storyline is still my favorite and the New Years festivals(ROLLER BEETLES!) were some of the most entertaining weekends I had. Now the thought that we might not see Cantha in all its new glories after 100yrs in isolation and all that potential lore, well it saddens me, and the thought that Anet would let anyone(even ncsoft) push them away from such a critical part of the Tyrian World sparks an anger that would jeopardize my love of all that is GW2. So I ask you now ArenaNet, please give us the land that was so crucial to so many of your loving fans. Please give us Cantha in whatever form you can squeeze past the over sensitive fools(its not korean and chinese culture, its CANTHAN CULTURE). Please don’t make me turn my back on Tyria.

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

Oh and if anyone from Anet is still reading this, the city part of Cantha sucked. No other words for it, ugly and repetative. The starter island, the forrest and jade sea however are great. The 2 large dungeons are also top notch.

But maybe I am alone in my view about the city part.