The Cantha Thread [Merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Antara.3189

Antara.3189

I think we need to create a petition page and have people sign it with their emails and send it to NCSoft to make a point that we (the consumers) want Cantha and are the reason NCSoft makes sales.

Posted by: callidus.7085

callidus.7085

Yep, bring back Cantha! Although, I feel the same about Elona :-/ I just want everything I guess.

Slow down and smell the pixels.

Posted by: Shanna.4762

Shanna.4762

I feel like Joan. NCsoft needs to stop whining about cultural sensitivity and allow us our Cantha!

Posted by: yakuza snowdragon.4639

yakuza snowdragon.4639

Thats insane, If thats true I’m gutted, Factions wa my least favourite of the lot but I wouldnt ever want to lose what it brought to the game world. I been a GW1 supporter for 5 years and it is and always will be my number one game ever. I’ve been playing GW2 since 1st beta and will be playing this for many years to come if not indefinate so as advice to Anet anyone who makes the call to take any aspect on this scale out of the game has no possitvie future in this game developing company. Be smart Anet and look at the bigger picture.

Posted by: Roman Legionary.6715

Roman Legionary.6715

And let’s create cantha.

Posted by: dsslive.8473

dsslive.8473

Please birng back Cantha. It was the best place in the whole series imo and it would be even more beautiful with the updated graphics. I can only imagine how the echovald forest and the jade sea are now. So please bring back Cantha so i don’t have to imagine how it would look and i could just roam the forest and jade sea with my trusty sword in my hand

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

Cantha4eva

/15 chars

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

Posted by: Pessimal.8602

Pessimal.8602

I’d like to visit Cantha again as well, I absolutely adored the style of Factions in music and architecture. Factions will alway be what I think of when I think GuildWars
You can loose the drab brown labyrinthine ramshackle parts of Kaineng.
Just give me a whole continent that looks like the starting island / the Jade sea and I’m a happy camper.

Posted by: Leon Mousy.6238

Leon Mousy.6238

Cantha has always been my favorite part of GW1. The music, the art, and let’s not forget Shiro lol (“No, no! This cannot be!!”). Everything about it was amazing and I was very sad to see pretty much all traces of it gone in GW2.
You’d make lots of money if you brought it back! Same with Elona, I want to take Palawa Joko out, that jerk. Bring it back guys!! You’d have endless love and adoration!!

Posted by: havellian.4073

havellian.4073

I support ressurection of Cantha +vote

Posted by: Budg.3064

Budg.3064

Wow, this thread’s been going for a long time now. Someone should make a poll on one of those poll websites and link it into this thread to get some numbers of interest. Maybe some hard statistical evidence of canthan popularity would be enough to sway someone.

Posted by: Antara.3189

Antara.3189

I feel like Joan. NCsoft needs to stop whining about cultural sensitivity and allow us our Cantha!

this made my day

Posted by: Skalef.6140

Skalef.6140

They can’t just take Cantha away, it would be just to sad. They can’t.

A player who loves challenge is a player I like.

Posted by: sanelson.4028

sanelson.4028

My first Guild Wars campaign was Cantha, I loved it! But don’t take me wrong, I also loved Tyria and Elona, however since Cantha was my first experience I’m way more attached to it than the others. I really hope that in a future expansion we will be able to visit a whole new cantha, I’m eager to know how 250 years changed that place (or didn’t change).

Aldir Valentine
Mesmer lvl 80
Seaferer’s Rest

Posted by: TehPwnerer.7215

TehPwnerer.7215

Hey there, me again, dropping by for my daily support of Cantha. Last night I visited “The Great Collapse” in Divinity’s Reach. I’d love to know how a giant chasm in a city is as engaging and desirable as a returning GW1 culture / continent. I also stumbled upon a Guru thread where I saw early screenshots of Canthan Quarters in Divinity’s Reach. It’s such a shame to see them scrape so much art work and time. Shame indeed. I’m hoping there’s a grand scheme here, as the builders make reference to the site being well underway to be completed, that eventually leads to the Canthan Quarters being completed and Cantha revitalized into the series once more.

Posted by: sjatzkov braskav.3689

sjatzkov braskav.3689

No Catha in Tyria?
that’s like… Earth without Asia!

Bring it back Anet!

I want to witness the sea melt! The forest grow!
The imperial palace touch the sky!
I want to enjoy Dragon Festival as it should be… in the monastery!

English is not my first language nor is it my second.

Posted by: Tollz.4152

Tollz.4152

CANTHA ALL THE WAY. seriously though chill with the political stuff i’m sure its more offensive to exclude cultures than to include them plus the game isn’t itself without cantha.

Posted by: Czechnir.9381

Czechnir.9381

Cantha is a must, Excluding Cantha will just be idiotic,

Posted by: missmarmalade.2805

missmarmalade.2805

I played GW1 before Factions but never got into it. Factions sucked me in and remains my favorite GW1 pack. It was a beautiful land that was very true to what you would expect of a fantasy depiction of ancient Asia (unlike other games with…fluffy pandas). The music and design made it feel so mystical. I don’t see how keeping everything European-flavored makes it universal; I would love to see other cultures from Asian to African to Native American!

Posted by: Karril Daltaya.4980

Karril Daltaya.4980

Cantha is important to most Guild Wars players, and a lot of gw2 players want to see it. Please add it in.

Tarnished Coast since Beta, now Banished forever to the Megaservers…

Posted by: anzenketh.3759

anzenketh.3759

I enjoyed Cantha. My first experience of Guild Wars was Cantha. I enjoyed the story-line. I enjoyed the culture of the area. I’m eager to know how 250 years changed that place (or didn’t change).

If it was for cultural sensitivity not to include it that is a shame. I personally find it more culturally insensitive to exclude it. In addition I don’t find Guild Wars 1 being culturally insensitive.

In Game: Storm Bluff Isle — Anzz, Anzenketh Kyoto

Posted by: Crome.5316

Crome.5316

A lot of western cultural stuff is mixed in GW2 and I don´t care. But NC soft… a bunch of sensitive weaklings. But NC-soft is a expert about the western gaming business. Aion, exteel, tabularasa…. they know how to handle games for the west…. we should trust them.
A lot of my charakters are just name holder for canthan characters. And the great collapse… yes it was some kind of symbol, a joke.

Posted by: RainJirea.5432

RainJirea.5432

I really hope, there will be an living story event, where they rebuild the cantha-part.

Posted by: VergilDeZaniah.3295

VergilDeZaniah.3295

I am well aware that some cultural mixes could be sensitive to certain nationalities. But seriously?
This is a GAME, meaning that it doesn’t take place on OUR planet. Nationalities that see their architectures and cultures represented in-game should be honored ‘cause it means they are so rich that something alike is put in the game. Either ANet uses a mix to promote Asian cultures, or they choose only one and everyone else would complain. Plus, they mixed Asian cultures with some German elements: did anyone complain about an Asian lady called Vasburg? I don’t think so.

However, I do keep my hopes up high: why would there be a lot of Asuran portals in Lion’s Arch (Eastern Ward) if they were not to be used? Also the Tengu population complaining about their exodus is a tad bit too well placed to be a background feature. Just like Elona: why would they introduce the Palawa Joko’s coup d’état, as well as a lot of Elonian elements, if it were to let it aside?

We already waited 5 years to get that amazing game that is GW2, and every month we have something big and new. No matter what, I am sure we will have Cantha and Elona soon, it’s just a matter of time. GW1 was a very rich game when I began to play 5 years ago, but it was quite limited on its release. GW2 is still young and I’m 200% sure it will be ten times bigger than GW1. (And, off-topic, I want countess Anise’s armor for my mesmer!)

We also have 5 more dragons to slay, it would be a shame if they all lived around Kryta (and we would already have found them haha!)

We will be surprised soon, I am sure of it.

Guild leader of The Nephilim of Elysium.

Son of Elonia.

(edited by VergilDeZaniah.3295)

Posted by: SirDrygan.1823

SirDrygan.1823

Do Arenanet even care about what we have said here? I read that Cantha region of Divinity Reach’s was removed due to reasons that i don’t understand. It is just a game right? Why bring real life reason into it?

Posted by: DanteKovac.8975

DanteKovac.8975

+1 for cantha… gw2 players want cantha so we respectfully ask please keep cantha

Posted by: Atlas.4509

Atlas.4509

Chiming in to say bring Cantha back!

Posted by: Jazzabelle.6531

Jazzabelle.6531

We are playing GW2 not GW1 I dont see any Charr, Norn, Asuran etc chars in GW1 so I guess it would be super nice to have new and different areas to visit as well. I like many others totally hate the Cantha city and would hate to have to spend more frustrating hours trying to find my way around it in GW2.

So NO Cantha for me

Posted by: Asbrandr.6324

Asbrandr.6324

We are playing GW2 not GW1 I dont see any Charr, Norn, Asuran etc chars in GW1 so I guess it would be super nice to have new and different areas to visit as well. I like many others totally hate the Cantha city and would hate to have to spend more frustrating hours trying to find my way around it in GW2.

So NO Cantha for me

Right, because the Charr weren’t primary antagonists in Prophecies and the Asura/Charr/Norn didn’t exist in Eye of the North. /facepalm

Hell, even the Sylvari were hinted at in the end cinematic of Eye of the North.

I will agree, however, that the city portion of Cantha was pretty confusing at first. Although I doubt that exact layout would transfer over to GW2; I’d much rather visit Echovald and the Jade Sea anyways.

Zevkk | 80 Necromancer | Vyhrr Sootshroud | 80 Thief
Cyrus Quintillus | 80 Mesmer | Asbrandr Godrikson | 80 Warrior
Fort Aspenwood [FLOT]

Posted by: Marcus Greythorne.6843

Marcus Greythorne.6843

Woodenpotatoes would give this thread a new push with part 2 of his lore series on Cantha ^^

1865 likes vs. 17 dislikes

http://gw2style.com/index.php – show your look and rate others – great filters!!

Shanna.4762

Yeah I don’t know how anyone would “dislike” his video tbh, that’s one of the best put together things on YouTube imho between the art & narration, etc.

Still pushing for Cantha, here!

Posted by: Kilaelya.1420

Kilaelya.1420

I also stumbled upon a Guru thread where I saw early screenshots of Canthan Quarters in Divinity’s Reach. It’s such a shame to see them scrape so much art work and time. Shame indeed.

I’ve heard about these screenshots a few times now, but I can’t find them. Does anyone have a link?

Minara | Ranger | Beastgate | [vR]

Posted by: Black Sheep.2694

Black Sheep.2694

Bring Cantha Back!

Posted by: lalamonsta.4237

lalamonsta.4237

A Cantha expansion would be amazing for Guild Wars 2. There could be so much done with it and adding a Tengu race would fit so much more with cantha being around.

I understand how a culture could be upset about the mixing of different cultures but it is a fantasy game. Even Kryta has a mixture of European and Spanish architecture. I think this adds a lot of flavor to the game.

I don’t expect it to be the first or even second expansion but if Cantha was to never return to Guild Wars 2 I would be upset.

(edited by lalamonsta.4237)

Posted by: Brutalistik.6473

Brutalistik.6473

Now why can’t DW sword warriors have skills like Shiro tagachi and do one hit wonder attacks? hmph. Shiro Tagachi is a glass cannon DW sword warrior for sure.

Woodenpotatoes would give this thread a new push with part 2 of his lore series on Cantha ^^

1865 likes vs. 17 dislikes

Thanks for sharing the awesome video.

Pineapples

Posted by: FenGuild.1097

FenGuild.1097

I thought only Master Togo was slain from what I remembered while his party still lived. I’m confused here.

Posted by: KingClash.3186

KingClash.3186

I thought only Master Togo was slain from what I remembered while his party still lived. I’m confused here.

In the mission everyone gets slain, but the following cut scene that will happen clarifies what happens I dont want to give a spoiler so i wont; if you really need to know read up on the mission on the wiki its the 3rd or 4th mission in the Factions campaign.

Back on topic I’d like to toss in my vote for a return of Cantha in GW2!

Posted by: ShunsuiKouKyoraku.9106

ShunsuiKouKyoraku.9106

I was kitten at that scene the first time I was there, then on all 9 of my other characters I was just as kitten as before. LOL! You think your all powerful Shiro! I’ll turn you to stone!

~De Oppresso Libre~
Shunsui Kou Kyoraku~Thief |Afro Claptrap~Warrior|Korra Jorradóttir~Elementalist
Zaraki Bladebreaker~Guardian|Mikasa Ackkermann~Mesmer

Posted by: Lady Vireo.5189

Lady Vireo.5189

Wow, what an amazing video by Wooden Potatoes! (As usual!) He and the others who worked on it have made a fantastic tribute to Cantha. It’s great to see how many people have come here to support Cantha thanks to their good work! Thank you all for supporting the cause.

Let’s keep spreading the word here and on Reddit, YouTube, and Guild Wars 2 Guru!

On the subject of the upcoming “Dragon Bash,” which some of you have already mentioned… I do wonder if it gives us reason to be optimistic. I’m still hoping it’s our Dragon Festival, but maybe they are changing the nature of it to be “politically correct” because dragons are now seen as evil in Tyria. (Hmm changing Canthan content to please people who might offended…that’s not Anet sending a message at all, is it? Ok tinfoil hat off…) But if there are any vestiges of Canthan tradition at all, I’ll be happy.

Ideally it would be great to see the Dragon Fest/Bash lead into a living story plotline centering around the Great Collapse in DR. Maybe this is a leap on my part, but with all the NPC dialogue about a hidden threat lurking in the wreckage, it seems like prime material for a living story chapter. I can see it culminating in the rebuilding of the area like the rebuilt lion statue in LA. Maybe now that Anet has teams vetting game content for China it would be possible to use those resources to come up with a design for a rebuilt Canthan quarter that would meet with approval in Asia.

A Dev has spoken:Cantha is definitely not cut from the game
Show your support for Cantha’s return in GW2! Please join us in the Cantha Thread.
Many thanks to Wooden Potatoes for his outstanding lore video, a real tribute to Cantha.

Shanna.4762

Wow, what an amazing video by Wooden Potatoes! (As usual!) He and the others who worked on it have made a fantastic tribute to Cantha. It’s great to see how many people have come here to support Cantha thanks to their good work! Thank you all for supporting the cause.

Let’s keep spreading the word here and on Reddit, YouTube, and Guild Wars 2 Guru!

On the subject of the upcoming “Dragon Bash,” which some of you have already mentioned… I do wonder if it gives us reason to be optimistic. I’m still hoping it’s our Dragon Festival, but maybe they are changing the nature of it to be “politically correct” because dragons are now seen as evil in Tyria. (Hmm changing Canthan content to please people who might offended…that’s not Anet sending a message at all, is it? Ok tinfoil hat off…) But if there are any vestiges of Canthan tradition at all, I’ll be happy.

Ideally it would be great to see the Dragon Fest/Bash lead into a living story plotline centering around the Great Collapse in DR. Maybe this is a leap on my part, but with all the NPC dialogue about a hidden threat lurking in the wreckage, it seems like prime material for a living story chapter. I can see it culminating in the rebuilding of the area like the rebuilt lion statue in LA. Maybe now that Anet has teams vetting game content for China it would be possible to use those resources to come up with a design for a rebuilt Canthan quarter that would meet with approval in Asia.

From the couple of things a dev has said about Dragon Bash, I’m getting the idea that Dragon Bash and Dragon Festival are two different things, and it’s likely that Dragon Festival isn’t being replaced by the Dragon Bash, which is a name that we might want to take more literally, which also sort of aludes to the possibility that we’ll get DF later?

Even still, it’s still technically possible that it could have something to do with the Great Collapse in Divinity’s Reach…Aren’t drakes rumored to have caused it, and be hiding in the sewers? So maybe we have to kill a bunch of Drakes lol.

Posted by: Choker.7563

Choker.7563

I am supporting get Cantha back. I haven’t seen Cantha and i wanna see it.
For the Cantha!

Posted by: TSLlol.4879

TSLlol.4879

I hope that now that NCsoft announced that GW2 is getting a new expansion, that we’re going to see Cantha. I really do.

Maybe it’s just me but literally EVERY DAY that play GW2 while ingame I always go “ kitten this would be so much fun if I were playing in Cantha right now…” Somehow the Canthan enviroment was much-much more interesting and immersive for me atleast… I would be incredibly disappointed if we didn’t see Cantha again… So much potential down the drain.

Posted by: vinh.8560

vinh.8560

Support! For Cantha!

Posted by: Shako.3456

Shako.3456

I want to see Cantha! I would pay for that expantion! The more Gw2 the better!

Posted by: kiwituatara.6053

kiwituatara.6053

+1 Support Cantha!

I’ve never played GW1. But Asian theme expansion? What? YES PLEASE!
Sounds very different from what we already have in GW2. New environment is the way to go.

Posted by: Arcadius.1247

Arcadius.1247

Just watched Wooden potatoes video on Cantha. I never played GW1 but I would be severely disappointed if it is never included. It would diminish the world for me. And as far as not wanting to have ‘themes’ to me Kryta is very much European themed. Just look at the construction/dress and armor worn by the guards.

It would in fact be less universal if Cantha was not included.

Posted by: Xynxycs.6718

Xynxycs.6718

1000 comments, 99.9% of which beg for Cantha’s majestic return. :]

ST.A.G.‘s Let’s Play of GW2! Cherck Erm Uurt!
http://www.youtube.com/user/StandardActionGaming/videos

Posted by: Anhellbro.7210

Anhellbro.7210

WoW lost 1.5 million ppl wis this Majic Asian style. Try and RIP GW2…..

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

What the heck is this thread about? I see it popping up all the time, its 6 months old…seems lore related. Shouldnt it be in the Lore forums?

Whats it about? I dont have time to read 6 months of posts, and I didnt play GW1, so who is Cantha?

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Posted by: Arcadius.1247

Arcadius.1247

What the heck is this thread about? I see it popping up all the time, its 6 months old…seems lore related. Shouldnt it be in the Lore forums?

Whats it about? I dont have time to read 6 months of posts, and I didnt play GW1, so who is Cantha?

Cantha is a continent to the south of Tyria… but really just read the OP and thats all you need to know, almost all the rest of the posts are to express support(with a few dissent) for what the OP was saying