The "Inspect Gear" Discussion.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: quadzor.6435

quadzor.6435

Gear Inspection has no place in a casual-friendly MMO. Those who want it are missing thepoint of the game.

This.

Maybe your point of the game is different from my point of the game? Try to think outside of the “gearcheck=kick-all-who-dont-have-best-gear”-box.

Posted by: Korrigan.4837

Korrigan.4837

There are lots of people that hide their gear EVEN when they join groups that ask for specific gear (for example “full zerker Warriors only”) and then come here and complain they got kicked… That’s not a better attitude at all.

Nice example of an elitist attitude already in the game you gave here. Refusing people because you want some kind of “optimal” group setup.
No need to make it worse by adding an inspect feature.

The Farstar Alliance [TFA] – Gandara Server.
A PvX guild for mature players with a life.

Posted by: SynfulChaot.3169

SynfulChaot.3169

The concept of gear inspection is great. I think everyone can agree on that.

Unfortunately the problem lies in certain elements of the community. With that feature many will get gated out of groups based purely on their gear. To those that say that will not happen, I ask you to look at every MMO in existence with gear inspection. All of them have this ‘gear check’ mentality now. I do not wish to see this mentality take hold in the GW2 community. We are friendlier than that.

Tarnished Coast – Wayfarer’s Accord [Way]
Main: Caeimhe – Sylvari Ranger
Alts: Charr Guardian, Asura Elementalist, Human Thief, Norn Necromancer

Posted by: Nova.8021

Nova.8021

I don’t think the “fear of elitism” argument is valid anymore as we have players being denied from some dungeons for gear already, as well as some professions outright.

Posted by: msalakka.4653

msalakka.4653

No. Just no. And here’s why:

YES!!! We need this! If you think we don’t then you are noob. If someone took his time to learn to play and wants EFFICIENCY in dungeon he should not suffer by playing with noobs.

And here is the reason it should not be Implamented. Thanks for summing it up for everyone.

Thank you by showing how good are you.

Umm what?

Here is the thing, I have played a game with gear checking and gear scores and dps meters and people wanting you to have cookie cutter specs. The whole time I played it I was able to use non standerd gear (pvp gear) and a pvp spec and still out dps, not stand in fire and learn the bosses script as fast or faster then the hardcore pve expert. All this was fine in guild where people know me and how I play and accepted the fact that I did not need to be carried. The problem comes in when you want to put becuase either not enough guild members are on or they are doing something different at the time. So if I feel like running a dungeon I can but if they implement gear check I’m going to have to justify my gear and build to some guy/gal who read on some website that since I play “x” class I should have “y” build and “z” spec? kitten all that noise. The best part is I could with my non cookie spec be the one carrying the “expert” thru the dungeon becuase skill, knowledge of your class and proper timing mean way more then what spec you run.

Sorry for the wall of text but pve elitism is a hot butting issue with me.

I had enough of that elitist bullkitten in FFXI. The “why do you wear X when Y would be better?”-type discussions were never in a friendly tone. I think this game is better than that.

Gutter Rat [cry] | Gandara | Roaming nuisance
~ There is no balance team. ~

Posted by: XxTAFxX.6741

XxTAFxX.6741

Hell no.
I had my fill in wow days with gear score.

The bosses in gw 2 don’t have an enrage timer so no need to check ppl gear.
this is a fun game not an elitism game.

Also if anet wanted they could fix it so you could not enter dungeons with mf gear on.
I’m sure it would a be simple for them to implant.
I hate mf gear,but i hate gear check more,as it brings out the bad in ppl.

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

I think there should be a gear skin inspection. Since there’s so much importance on asthetics and gear skins, I think we should be able to inspect to find out what kind of weapon/armor someone is rocking. I know I only inspected people in other games because I wanted to know what kind of armor it was that looked so cool so I could get it too.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Posted by: DrixTrix.7168

DrixTrix.7168

a gear skin inspection would be nice but i am really against it showing stats in any shape or form.

this would juts produce an un-needed and un-wanted cess pool of elitist jerks.

Posted by: Agrios.1957

Agrios.1957

Yes: skins and dyes
No: stats

Posted by: PrinceCola.5620

PrinceCola.5620

No, please do not add this! It has ruined all other MMOs for me…“lol your gear sucks, noob” etc. Please keep this a casual game which everyone can play.

Posted by: Xaaz.8472

Xaaz.8472

I love watching all the MF users in dungeons cry “noooooo”, “elitism”, etc. However, it’s easy enough to realize it on the first fight and kick them then.

Posted by: Flamenco.3894

Flamenco.3894

Implement it.

The elitist attitude won’t ever go away/

Prince Rurik and Lady Althea. Anyone else see the incompatibilty here?

Posted by: Fay.2735

Fay.2735

I love watching all the MF users in dungeons cry “noooooo”, “elitism”, etc. However, it’s easy enough to realize it on the first fight and kick them then.

It wouldn’t just negatively affect magic find users. It would also cause problems for anyone who doesn’t play x build or x playstyle that an elitist party desires and think is somehow better without knowing anything about it not even allowing a person with unique builds to show they are skilled before blocking them access or kicking them.

I for example run a lot of mantra builds, you don’t see them an awful lot and because my gear and traits are specifically designed and theorycrafted for it they aren’t what would be usually expected. Yet the build is still very effective and helpful. I don’t want to be kicked just because I play a bit different from the crowd.

•— Fay Everdunes | Fay Erduna | Lilyfay (Fay.2735) — Mesmer/Revenant — [NA]FA — 8k±Hrs Played —•
Have you heard of the city? The ancient uru? Where there was power to write worlds

Posted by: Aegis.9724

Aegis.9724

seriously, the amount of people not wanting the feature makes me wonder how common MF leeching has become…

Just give the OPTION to disable full inspect in the hero panel, while leaving the skins on. Ta-da! work done.

If you’re worried about someone asking you to enable inspect before grouping, chances are those people already ask to link exotics, so nothing changes (unless you’re one of those smart pants linking exotic item codes and running around in green MF)

Posted by: Midnightjade.3520

Midnightjade.3520

seriously, the amount of people not wanting the feature makes me wonder how common MF leeching has become…

Just give the OPTION to disable full inspect in the hero panel, while leaving the skins on. Ta-da! work done.

If you’re worried about someone asking you to enable inspect before grouping, chances are those people already ask to link exotics, so nothing changes (unless you’re one of those smart pants linking exotic item codes and running around in green MF)

I run full Exotic and Ascended, with all relevant runes and sigils. My gear is almost certainly better than yours. I still don’t want Gear Inspect. If you want it, go to WoW or FFXI.

Honestly, it just gets in the way of the fun. I saw that during 8 years playing other MMOs that use it.

Onyx: Norn Guardian 80. Queen in Tatters: Asura Mesmer 80.
[The Flameseeker Prophecies] 4/11/13
Itinerant, no guild.

Posted by: Asglarek.8976

Asglarek.8976

There is no legitimate and reasonable argument against it.

“People will be elitist!!!”

People can be elitist right now. And so what? Don’t play with them. You’re decrying the attitude of people whom you are trying to play with, but you’ll still play with them because their very attitude demonstrates they’re competent, and therefore assure you a nice piggy back ride. And don’t say “no that isn’t it!”, if it isn’t then why are you playing with people you don’t like? Even for the most neglected of dungeons/areas you can easily cobble together a party with whatever specifications you wish. If you don’t like a group’s attitude don’t kittening play with them.

“I don’t like people knowing my gear!!!”

That’s as legitimate an argument as someone saying they don’t like people knowing their character, so you shouldn’t allow people to see other person’s characters. It doesn’t affect you in any way. You’re creating a problem that doesn’t exist. Deal with it.

“I don’t like it!”

Don’t use it.

Feel free to point out your own arguments, but rest assured I’ll point out they’re equally flawed. Maybe there is a legitimate argument against gear/stat inspect, but I haven’t heard it yet. Every single argument I’ve ever read against it is ignorant and misguided at best, and utterly mentally defective most of the time.

Honestly, most of the people I see complaining seem to be the kind of players that know they’re bad, and are afraid that if other people learn that, they’ll be unable to piggy back off of competent players anymore. Truly my heart bleeds for you.

The same logic holds true for those advocating it wouldn’t you agree?

Posted by: deracs.1762

deracs.1762

I have never seen “inspect” add anything positive. Not that it is bad, but the reality is, it seems in MMO’s that it is used mostly in negative ways (many examples already stated in this thread). I just dont see it adding anything positive to offset the number of negatives to inspect

Posted by: azurrei.5691

azurrei.5691

I didn’t realize this was a discussion.

It doesn’t belong in a game that is not about gear.

/end discussion

(edited by azurrei.5691)

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I never asked for full inspection so people can view if you have optimized stats or anything, that’s not good at all.

Try not to take this the wrong way, dear neighbor.

It’s not what people are asking for this function for, or say they want it for. It’s how it could be used by the impolite. You have to keep things like that in mind when you design something in a game. “How are the players going to abuse this? Can they use it in ways which we didn’t intend?”

I mean, if you don’t ask that question you get the pleasant experience of finding out two days after launch they are using things in unusual combinations to do things they should not be able to do or that you didn’t anticipate because they’d only use it one way.

Still only AR and MF visible will take care of the majority of problems, plus some reading comprehension from those joining groups.

It won’t take care of the problems. Those problems will still be there, just in a different form. The problem isn’t that AR or MF exist as statistics, the problem is that people want a specific level of AR (and they should, in many cases) and a specific level of MF (notably, none) and want to get the bulk of the players to behave as they want to.

Gear inspection shouldn’t be in this game, and I pointed out a couple reasons why earlier. Foremost reason? We have a game here where for 99% of it, your stats and gear aren’t as important as knowing what you’re doing. Adding the ability to look at gear says, quietly and subconsciously “gear is important enough to require a way of seeing what other people have”.

Second reason? No matter what people are saying now, it won’t be used exactly as a lot of them are suggesting it would be.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Aegis.9724

Aegis.9724

I run full Exotic and Ascended, with all relevant runes and sigils. My gear is almost certainly better than yours. I still don’t want Gear Inspect. If you want it, go to WoW or FFXI.

Honestly, it just gets in the way of the fun. I saw that during 8 years playing other MMOs that use it.

i’ve been playing since Ultima online, and the thing is, in wow or similar games, gear is super important. Much more than anything else. In gw2, not so much.
So people don’t really care unless you’re running arah/30+fractals, because the time&hassle saved from the “take 4 and go” is much more important then finding a party with full exos.

Posted by: Scrambles.2604

Scrambles.2604

I am for an inspect option. More in-game options the better!! But i’m one of those weirdos that enjoys feedback on my gear/spec, as well as combat metrics such as dmg meters.

Yes, they can be abused by jerks, but:

1) jerks will be jerks regardless of whether or not they can see your gear. Inspect wouldn’t increase the amount of jerks, but would give jerks a new tool to use.

2) at least jerks would be basing their abuse off objective measurements. I would rather get booted from a group because a dps meter showed my damage was lacking, than get booted because it “appeared” i was not doing enough dmg. Currently, jerk-like behavior is based on conjecture and subjective measurements. For instance, you may get booted just because people think rangers are weak, but inspects/meters could help you defend your ability.

Posted by: Star Ace.5207

Star Ace.5207

I am for an inspect option. More in-game options the better!! But i’m one of those weirdos that enjoys feedback on my gear/spec, as well as combat metrics such as dmg meters.

Yes, they can be abused by jerks, but:

1) jerks will be jerks regardless of whether or not they can see your gear. Inspect wouldn’t increase the amount of jerks, but would give jerks a new tool to use.

2) at least jerks would be basing their abuse off objective measurements. I would rather get booted from a group because a dps meter showed my damage was lacking, than get booted because it “appeared” i was not doing enough dmg. Currently, jerk-like behavior is based on conjecture and subjective measurements. For instance, you may get booted just because people think rangers are weak, but inspects/meters could help you defend your ability.

Except not everyone needs to provide “max DPS” in this game to be effective: there is not a true “DPS class” as such (so said jerks were not being fair to you by being exclusivist). Expecting everybody to run max Direct Damage builds because it’s “fastest” and “more effective” is intolerant of all of those who wish to play another playstyle that also works for them and the group.

You said it in point one too. Why give them another tool to promote bad attitudes? The least many of us want is these gear elitist views to be forced on others just so that they can find groups-they will try to adapt to the “meta” (rather than play with freedom) just to get into groups, propagating further bad attitudes in the community.

(Also, some people have already made up their minds about Berserker’s Warriors being the way to go for some Dungeon runs-even though I play my Guardian, I cringe whenever someone at GW2LFG posts the note-Guardian/Warrior/Mesmer only or any combination therein. Even if the Ranger in your example had 3,773 direct damage potential, they would deem it “weak” because it doesn’t meet the artificial criteria of a hive mind, “proven,” meta-“efficient” party build.)

I WOULD have problem with anyone booting me for not having “enough mathematical DPS”, and would never kick anyone based on such silly criteria, because max DPS is not even neeed in a game with no true DPS/healer/tank roles (the assumption that there’s only one role-DPS-is incorrect; many people just love to see big damage numbers and generally assume it’s the “most efficient” way to play.)

(Note that I am not saying using max direct damage builds is wrong, but rather than being close-minded about every other option is, because people are free to play whichever way they want and still get to be super effective at it.)

Math can only do so much in this game-it’s more about your own playstyle, strategy, trait synergy, and many other intangibles, so a simple DPS meter (or any gearscore) is basically rendered quasi-useless in practice.

I mean no offense, though. You are not a “weirdo” for wanting gear feedback, etc. but for this game’s sake, it’s better that each player does so with like-minded individuals, perhaps in a specialized forum, or even with like-minded friends/guildies rather than making it a tool that will further bad attitides in the community. You are entitled to like your numbers, and I don’t think you have a crummy attitude yourself JUST because you like min/maxing, but a tool that may promote those attitudes-even if you wouldn’t-is not right for GW2, in my strong opinion.

Posted by: Korrigan.4837

Korrigan.4837

I don’t think the “fear of elitism” argument is valid anymore as we have players being denied from some dungeons for gear already, as well as some professions outright.

Humans have always been able to harm each other, even with bare fists. Give them weapons, and they do it more efficiently and more massively.

The Farstar Alliance [TFA] – Gandara Server.
A PvX guild for mature players with a life.

Posted by: Scrambles.2604

Scrambles.2604

Except not everyone needs to provide “max DPS” in this game to be effective: there is not a true “DPS class” as such (so said jerks were not being fair to you by being exclusivist). Expecting everybody to run max Direct Damage builds because it’s “fastest” and “more effective” is intolerant of all of those who wish to play another playstyle that also works for them and the group.

You said it in point one too. Why give them another tool to promote bad attitudes? The least many of us want is these gear elitist views to be forced on others just so that they can find groups-they will try to adapt to the “meta” (rather than play with freedom) just to get into groups, propagating further bad attitudes in the community.

(Also, some people have already made up their minds about Berserker’s Warriors being the way to go for some Dungeon runs-even though I play my Guardian, I cringe whenever someone at GW2LFG posts the note-Guardian/Warrior/Mesmer only or any combination therein. Even if the Ranger in your example had 3,773 direct damage potential, they would deem it “weak” because it doesn’t meet the artificial criteria of a hive mind, “proven,” meta-“efficient” party build.)

I WOULD have problem with anyone booting me for not having “enough mathematical DPS”, and would never kick anyone based on such silly criteria, because max DPS is not even neeed in a game with no true DPS/healer/tank roles (the assumption that there’s only one role-DPS-is incorrect; many people just love to see big damage numbers and generally assume it’s the “most efficient” way to play.)

(Note that I am not saying using max direct damage builds is wrong, but rather than being close-minded about every other option is, because people are free to play whichever way they want and still get to be super effective at it.)

Math can only do so much in this game-it’s more about your own playstyle, strategy, trait synergy, and many other intangibles, so a simple DPS meter (or any gearscore) is basically rendered quasi-useless in practice.

I mean no offense, though. You are not a “weirdo” for wanting gear feedback, etc. but for this game’s sake, it’s better that each player does so with like-minded individuals, perhaps in a specialized forum, or even with like-minded friends/guildies rather than making it a tool that will further bad attitides in the community. You are entitled to like your numbers, and I don’t think you have a crummy attitude yourself JUST because you like min/maxing, but a tool that may promote those attitudes-even if you wouldn’t-is not right for GW2, in my strong opinion.

hey thanks for reading. I should clarify, i don’t think anyone should get booted from groups. Kicking from the group should be reserved for afks and only the most extreme of cirumstances. I’d just rather my accusers have access to solid info and not boot me for subjective reasons. Of course i’d rather not get booted altogether.

My point is you already have jerks in the game, and it would be those same jerks that will use whatever tool they have available to be jerks. Currently, they have forums as their tool, where conventional wisdom rules and tends to be blown out of proportion (example: word on the street is rangers are underpowered, that doesn’t necessarily mean they wont be effective in a group, yet you still see them being denyed spots based on conjecture).

The more information and hard data you have access to, the more rationality and reason you introduce into decision making.

Yes, a jerk may use an inspect feature to try and rate you based on your gear, but you should have the confidence to defend your gearing decisions, and at this point have the ability to inspect your accuser and critique his gearing choices. And if someone is going to use inspect as justification to boot you then you better off not playing with them. That is the same type of person that doesn’t even need inspect to boot you from the group.

I totally see where people against this feature are coming from. I just dont think the scorn of bullys should be the only thing preventing the playerbase from accessing new tools. But because of the behavior of a few jerks..THIS IS WHY WE CANT HAVE NICE THINGS!! lol

Posted by: Poledo.3256

Poledo.3256

No and for a very basic reason. Mob mentality. What could be a useful tool will be abused not by elitists who know their stuff, but by elitists who don’t and really in most cases should be the ones getting not invited.

Too many people are sheep, or follow mob mentality. I don’t mean that to be derogatory but to identify it as an actual issue. People hear someone say that X build is the only viable one and that X gear is the only viable gear, and because they don’t know themselves if it is or not they take it as gospel because they think that person knew what they were talking about. Now that person will only take people with X gear and X spec and they don’t even know why, only because someone said so.

This is why people make guides and specs for others to follow because most don’t know themselves. Now you have a tool that let’s those people make the decisions on who joins groups, and pretty soon you have rule and not the exception and it damages the whole community.

I’ve seen it happen, it will happen, and I don’t want to see it here. You don’t need to agree with me, but that’s my experience and I am against gear inspect.

Posted by: Adam.4103

Adam.4103

To pave way to even more elitism? No thank you.

Adam The Vanquisher
Gandara

Posted by: valfar.1602

valfar.1602

This game is about trying new builds with your character and being experimental. That’s how many great new builds are found. Inspecting will be abused in order to enforce a cooky cutter build in groups/dungeons. It will also be abused for gear scoring.

Valfar Battlehammer
Norn Warrior
Blackgate

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I totally see where people against this feature are coming from. I just dont think the scorn of bullys should be the only thing preventing the playerbase from accessing new tools. But because of the behavior of a few jerks..THIS IS WHY WE CANT HAVE NICE THINGS!! lol

I have said that in regards to:

- Guesting
- Fractals
- Bounty Missions
and
- World Chest improvements

. . . all these last two weeks.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Uncle Salty.6342

Uncle Salty.6342

Read through some of the replies.
Most said no because

• GW 2 is casual friendly
  • Anet wants to bring the community together
  • Not everyone is a hardcore fanatic

What Anet has done recently:

• Laurels. 1 per account per day on daily completion. (Takes 1 – 2 months or more for what’s worth getting provided you finish it religiously everyday.
  • Guild missions. Small guilds, sorry this content is not for you.
  • AC revamp. Cool new design. Casual newbie? Sorry m8, no stepping stone dungeon for you. Go beg for some help. Otherwise form a party of similar situated newbies and spend 2-3 hours in there and you might not even complete it!

Most of these issues don’t affect me. But, it all seems very contrary to what they’re preaching and implementing.

Don’t go all putting the blame on elitists. Some of you are just overstating the issue as if it’s the new fashion in GW2. It’s hip to be ‘casual’ hur hur hur.

(edited by Uncle Salty.6342)

Posted by: rgrwng.4072

rgrwng.4072

if gear checks were implemented, i would have to roll a second set of armor to “hide” my MF% set. would need to have a set exactly like my MF gear, as to seem legit throughout the dungeon.

1) put legit armor on to look cool for inspection
2) enter dungeon
3) before starting, swap gear, and hope to survive and pass off as l33t enough.

Posted by: Katai.6240

Katai.6240

I don’t care about stats. I just want to know what the armor piece is called so I can look as attractive as the people around me.

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

I would like to see an “inspect” option as well… but not one that shows stats, but rather one that shows the names of the skins the player is using to get their current look. An aesthetic inspect, if you will.

Posted by: Rusc.4978

Rusc.4978

Read through some of the replies.
Most said no because

• GW 2 is casual friendly
  • Anet wants to bring the community together
  • Not everyone is a hardcore fanatic

What Anet has done recently:

• Laurels. 1 per account per day on daily completion. (Takes 1 – 2 months or more for what’s worth getting provided you finish it religiously everyday.
  • Guild missions. Small guilds, sorry this content is not for you.
  • AC revamp. Cool new design. Casual newbie? Sorry m8, no stepping stone dungeon for you. Go beg for some help. Otherwise form a party of similar situated newbies and spend 2-3 hours in there and you might not even complete it!

Most of these issues don’t affect me. But, it all seems very contrary to what they’re preaching and implementing.

Don’t go all putting the blame on elitists. Some of you are just overstating the issue as if it’s the new fashion in GW2. It’s hip to be ‘casual’ hur hur hur.

I actually agree with you: what Anet seems to want the community to be like and what they’re implementing in said community seem to be two completely differnet things. The difference between “what should exist” and “what does exist” is a big issue with me right now in the realm of GW2.

However, gearcheck isn’t going to help close that gap.

Prosper

Brought to you by ArenaNet. Soon™.

Posted by: Pirlipat.2479

Pirlipat.2479

Well the thing is when A-Net is implementing something that is going into a direction I don’t like it does not mean that I have to accept or like all other things going into the same direction “because it’s going into that direction anyway.”

Posted by: Uncle Salty.6342

Uncle Salty.6342

Well the thing is when A-Net is implementing something that is going into a direction I don’t like it does not mean that I have to accept or like all other things going into the same direction “because it’s going into that direction anyway.”

Of course.

Based on their “feedback”.

if gear checks were implemented, i would have to roll a second set of armor to “hide” my MF% set. would need to have a set exactly like my MF gear, as to seem legit throughout the dungeon.

1) put legit armor on to look cool for inspection
2) enter dungeon
3) before starting, swap gear, and hope to survive and pass off as l33t enough.

And this is what motivates some of us to want Gear Checks. Sponges. Wouldn’t be an issue if you play with friends though. Taking friends for granted to make up for your missing stats in a dungeon is what friends do anyway.

You know what, I just had a bright idea. To remove a large motivating factor for Gear Checks.

Remove MF gear.

(edited by Uncle Salty.6342)

Posted by: Spawnsalot.4897

Spawnsalot.4897

Ugh, WoW may not have been the first game to use it but that’s where the issue has ballooned and festered.

“LFM (easiest heroic instance around) 700000 GS, 500k DPS and link acheivments!”

No thanks.

I’d like to suggest having MF and AR appear with boon icons. That way people can keep tabs on the bullkittenters.

I’m of the opinion that if you want to go to a FoTM with a certain AR requirement, you’d best have that or be close to that requirement if only as a courtesy to your group members and so that you don’t spend most of the instance eating dirt and leaving your team a man down for a tough fight.

(I’d like to point out I haven’t bothered with FoTM yet.)

Same would apply to MF gear – running round with all the effectiveness of a paper bag so you can farm loot isn’t fair on your group – stick to soloing please.

But.

Excluding people because they aren’t encased in exotics, or the exotics you want them to be in just creates a toxic environment where people who didn’t “get there” first are shunned.

What about people with fresh 80’s who want to start running dungeons to get gear?

If you want your experienced only speedruns and your specific exotics only that’s fine, just keep advertising the way you are or join/create a guild for it.

You don’t need an inspection tool to do that.

As to the “we hate noobs” crowd, you were a noob once and someone gave you a shot, the least you can do is extend the same courtesy to someone learning the ropes – it takes 3 minutes tops to explain an encounter to someone who listens.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

I’d like to suggest having MF and AR appear with boon icons. That way people can keep tabs on the bullkittenters.

That’s the simple best solution to the problem of “gear hiding” without going too far and promoting needless elitisism

Posted by: Pandemoniac.4739

Pandemoniac.4739

I would like to see an “inspect” option as well… but not one that shows stats, but rather one that shows the names of the skins the player is using to get their current look. An aesthetic inspect, if you will.

Also, the dyes they’re using. Previewing on the TP is great, but some look very different on heavy/light/medium.

Don’t ever think you know what’s right for the other person.
He might start thinking he knows what’s right for you.
—Paul Williams

Posted by: Star Ace.5207

Star Ace.5207

hey thanks for reading. I should clarify, i don’t think anyone should get booted from groups. Kicking from the group should be reserved for afks and only the most extreme of cirumstances. I’d just rather my accusers have access to solid info and not boot me for subjective reasons. Of course i’d rather not get booted altogether.

My point is you already have jerks in the game, and it would be those same jerks that will use whatever tool they have available to be jerks. Currently, they have forums as their tool, where conventional wisdom rules and tends to be blown out of proportion (example: word on the street is rangers are underpowered, that doesn’t necessarily mean they wont be effective in a group, yet you still see them being denyed spots based on conjecture).

The more information and hard data you have access to, the more rationality and reason you introduce into decision making.

Yes, a jerk may use an inspect feature to try and rate you based on your gear, but you should have the confidence to defend your gearing decisions, and at this point have the ability to inspect your accuser and critique his gearing choices. And if someone is going to use inspect as justification to boot you then you better off not playing with them. That is the same type of person that doesn’t even need inspect to boot you from the group.

Hey, Scrambles, I am not referring to yourself, but the following is from a GW2LFG posting for a rather popular (though not the most frequented) Dungeon:

LF2M path FFkittenand UP speed run. Need people who can carry their own weight, which means EXPERIENCED, LV80, MAX DPS AT ALL TIMES, AND KNOW HOW TO SKIP MOBS. self join! NO MF GEAR

I am experienced, carry my own weight (BTW, what a silly statement-I hate the elitist-exclusivist attitude in it), level 80, DO NOT do “max DPS” at all times (gotta be frank, it’s wrong to ask for that, or at least, I NEVER would), and know how to skip mobs. Even if I did max DPS, I would never party with this little player that think he’s/she’s big. And this is the kind of “jerk” you mentioned that would use inspect gear to discriminate, in his/her quest for the perfect, most efficient group. The problem is that once this becomes “backed up” by ANet through Inspect Gear, more and more people will try to cater to these kind of players with a biased, exclusivist mindset, that doesn’t allow anything but the norm (whether good or otherwise.)

I hate when people that don’t know me decide whether I can carry my own weight or otherwise (which is stupid to establish in the first place, because that’s wholly subjective) by cheking either my build and/or gear. Only I have the right to play my character and gear him/her up as I wish, and I know best how to enjoy myself and be more effective with each of them. Even if I had the same gear and builds as these people, I would refuse to group with such close-minded, individuals.

In the end, what is silly and ironic is that the pseudo-elite often waste tons of time looking for the perfect speed run group and quit at the first sign of “n00bery”, so that they end up being slower than a perfectly normal, balanced group who plays equally if not better but takes time to enjoy the game. Their elitism often slows them down in this manner, negating any benefit from their supposed “effectiveness” and playing “superiority.”

Again, my solution is for these guys to find Guilds full of elitists, so they can party with each other. Inspect gear is a tool they will use to discriminate not just based on MF gear, but, as seen above, lack of “sufficient DPS” in some builds/Professions. They will probably never reason with you why is it that you are being rejected (you won’t even be able to group with them, though you will be better-off, in all probability.) They should play together-just not with the help of a community-eroding Inspect Gear tool.

(I understand you are not that kind of player, BTW.)

(edited by Star Ace.5207)

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

I didn’t realize this was a discussion.

It doesn’t belong in a game that is not about gear.

/end discussion

I didn’t realize only your thoughts mattered in a group discussion. Matter of fact, that’s not a discussion.

It can be implemented in this game as laid out by others in non-intrusive ways.

In fact the best suggestion i’ve seen was to show only the name sans prefixes and stats so people can get an idea for how to create an aesthetically pleasing gearset for themselves which is the point of this game considering the vast majority of it is cosmetic(s)

/not end of thread or discussion

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

I like the idea of Cosmetic player Inspect (not for stats)

*3d view of player and there equipment.
*short interduction text
*link to their guild charter
*Customizable player profile for RP

Posted by: thisolderhead.5127

thisolderhead.5127

Elitists will abuse it, mainly to find people to carry them, but also to reinforce their fractured self worth.

The true top players and guilds don’t care at all, though it will probably save someone an email/pic message.

The true casual might like to peek at others, but really doesn’t care either, as opposed to your casual time elitist who can never “catch up” and doesn’t want people to look at them.

Leaving a small but vulnerable group who can see the writing on the wall and don’t want a repeat of what happened in the “GS WoW” era. This time they are not buying into the arguments.

The value of the tool, compared to the potential for abuse, is so low I hope the devs put it off until 2029.

Feeling bad due to my response does not mean it was a personal attack.
It may just be that your original statement was wrong.
Please try again.

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

The problem is that if you decline, you would still then get excluded based on the fact that you decline.

So what?
If I don’t want to be inspected in the first place, I don’t care if they don’t want me; I actually don’t want such people in the first place.

It’s the only way to make both happy.
Who wants to inspect can do it, who doesn’t can decline it.
Why must it be something you can force down other people to do? It seems to me there are other reasons behind it…

And to be completely honest.
Inspect would work IF we had a community of good builders that min/maxed proped builds for each class, like we did in GW1.
But now that people doesn’t exist anymore; the most common builds are terrible shout healing warriors, full DPS no defense guardians, generic weak staff eles, horrible staff necros, and don’t even get me started on rangers.

I don’t want one day to wake up and have the entire game require me to use a terribad build because most people can’t help but run those.

(edited by Red Falcon.8257)

thisolderhead.5127

The problem is that if you decline, you would still then get excluded based on the fact that you decline.

So what?
If I don’t want to be inspected in the first place, I don’t care if they don’t want me; I actually don’t want such people in the first place.

It’s the only way to make both happy.
Who wants to inspect can do it, who doesn’t can decline it.
Why must it be something you can force down other people to do? It seems to me there are other reasons behind it…

Looking for more, must allow inspect, link achi, carry meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Please try again.

Posted by: OrianZeta.1537

OrianZeta.1537

I’m all for it; I’ve never experienced gear-checking or discrimination. When someone does that, a great sign emerges that says “DO NOT PLAY WITH ME!”.

Funny, because I’ve had my name (Orian) and myself criticized because the person thought it was intended to be either Orion (a constellation) or Orrian (as in Orr). Superficial people exist everywhere.

Actually it’s quite useful because you can get a much better sense of where your party is at and, with good players, people know what to anticipate. If I see a weaker player, I know I need to watch them and be on my game. If there’s special gear that tips off experience, it lends confidence to the group. If something is really off with gear, people can help straighten them out and give advice. A new player could see what high-level players use to help them along. There are many advantages that outweigh some inevitable negatives.

And don’t lie, all of that nice gear we’re hiding in our hero panels? You want to let others read it and weep!

Posted by: Gestankfaust.4216

Gestankfaust.4216

Why are we still debating this?!?!

I will let you inspect me when you can kill me and search my dead body. Otherwise…stfu

thisolderhead.5127

Actually it’s quite useful because you can get a much better sense of where your party is at and, with good players, people know what to anticipate. If I see a weaker player, I know I need to watch them and be on my game. If there’s special gear that tips off experience, it lends confidence to the group. If something is really off with gear, people can help straighten them out and give advice. A new player could see what high-level players use to help them along.

I’m stilll a firm believer in the fact I am pro enough that I can evaluate the performance of my party in real time – but I can see most are not. I apologise for suggesting that a tool to look at the gear of a player was not required in this task.

You want to “straighten them out and give them advice” and to this end allow others “see what high-level players use to help them along”… riiiiiiiiiiigggghhhht.

Please try again.

Posted by: Gestankfaust.4216

Gestankfaust.4216

Actually it’s quite useful because you can get a much better sense of where your party is at and, with good players, people know what to anticipate. If I see a weaker player, I know I need to watch them and be on my game. If there’s special gear that tips off experience, it lends confidence to the group. If something is really off with gear, people can help straighten them out and give advice. A new player could see what high-level players use to help them along.

I’m stilll a firm believer in the fact I am pro enough that I can evaluate the performance of my party in real time – but I can see most are not. I apologise for suggesting that a tool to look at the gear of a player was not required in this task.

You want to “straighten them out and give them advice” and to this end allow others “see what high-level players use to help them along”… riiiiiiiiiiigggghhhht.

What?

Posted by: Chickenshoes.6250

Chickenshoes.6250

No. How else am I going to sneak my green magic-find gear into dungeons?

Ask me to link my gear and I will link my standby exotic set I use for WvW. Thank you.

no sarcasm

Posted by: OrianZeta.1537

OrianZeta.1537

Most don’t sit and evaluate the performance of others unless there’s a lot of death or faffing about. I personally focus on what I’m doing and react to things. If I know ahead of time I may need to react and/or protect a certain player, it makes my job easier.

But apparently some people think this is a soft spot to exploit discrimination, or that others with control issues are thirsting to impose onto others. I’ve taken a lot of traditional sides with GW2 but this about tops the list of most ridiculous protests over a game feature.

I, for one, would greatly appreciate bad seeds showing their elitism so I will be left to group with people that aren’t shallow, arrogant control freaks with cases of superiority complex.