The New CDI Topics

The New CDI Topics

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Chris Whiteside.6102

Chris Whiteside.6102

Studio Design Director

Next

Hi All,

The next round of CDI topics will be starting on Monday 17th February.

The topics will be as follows:

PVE: How would you like to see us evolve Fractals?- Owner- Chris Whiteside

PvP: What would you like to see from a League system? – Owner- John Corpening

WvW: What aspects of Edge of The Mists do you think could carry over to the rest of WvW and how? – Owner- Devon Carver

Bonus: Global: Professions: How would you like to see us evolve (profession X: voting is currently underway) balance?- Owner- Allie Murdock

The CDI rules are as follows:

1: This initiative is all about discussion.
2: We will not be disclosing information pertaining to what is currently in development.
3: Anger and emotion will have less impact than intelligent discussion.
4: Together we will share and evolve design philosophies which will impact how we develop the game moving forward.
5: Aggression and disrespect to a fellow community member or developer will not be tolerated, and in the extreme could lead to the shutting down of the initiative.
6: The teams primary focus is work toward the development of GW2 and therefore posting of discussion and commentary may not be as frequent as you like. Please do understand that the initiative is taken very seriously by us all and that we will be reading the discussions and joining in as often as it is possible to do so.

Finally please note this is not a competition, either between yourselves or the developers in regard to one up man ship. The point of this Initiative is to work together to make the game better.

Note: We will disclose the ideas we do or don’t like as a group but we will not discuss schedules or timing around implementation. If there is still concern surrounding how seriously we take community collaboration then please do take the time to think about how much impact the community has had on the working of this game over the year.

Chris

The New CDI Topics

Posted by: A R W E N.6895

A R W E N.6895

For the PvE topic would it be to much if it is about Fractals but also about dungeons in general?

I love debate
[Kr] Dungeon Speedclear & Fractals
www.keep-running.fr

The New CDI Topics

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

Thank you very much, Chris!

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

The New CDI Topics

Posted by: Master Yi.6129

Master Yi.6129

Fractals: well for starters you need to buff the rewards. This includes:
-making the fractal weapon chests actually real
-double…actually triple the amount of money we received from doing fractals
-reduce the number of dredge in their fractal
-increase the rate in which fractal weapons actually drop
-more uses for pristine fractal relics
-remove more dredge
-numerous bug fixes
-address abnormal health pools of all enemies
-and a lot more. Read the forums people

The fractals themselves need some kind of lore. (Not including the newer fractals). And rewards that makes the fractals worth something. For once.

The New CDI Topics

Posted by: Malchior.5042

Malchior.5042

Chris, might I suggest that each topic be broken into its own thread, in its related forum?

This could get really large and extremely spread very quickly.

Malchior Devenholm | Proud member of Zealots of Shiverpeak [ZoS] | Northern Shiverpeaks

(edited by Malchior.5042)

The New CDI Topics

Posted by: Auesis.7301

Auesis.7301

My only request is that you either remove the Dredge Fractal completely or annihilate a massive portion of respawning mobs in there, especially the clown car (there is no reason for this to exist, it is just a time gate).

This Fractal is the sole reason pretty much everyone I know cannot be bothered with daily runs anymore. It’s too mind-numbingly tedious.

Also, Dredge are annoying by design. Spamming powerful boons with impunity, immunity to blind, insanely strong projectile attacks, unnecessarily long CCs, but worst of all, ridiculous head count.

I will go in to more detail in the official thread if needs be.

Gnome Child [Gc]
Resident Thief

The New CDI Topics

Posted by: gidorah.4960

gidorah.4960

Chris, might I suggest that each topic be broken into it’s own thread, in its related forum?

This could get really large and extremely spread very quick.

You dont really think they are doing all 3 topics in this thread thats just for announcing the topics do you?

The New CDI Topics

Posted by: Malchior.5042

Malchior.5042

Heh, I just noticed the top where it said these start on Monday.

Crisis averted.

Malchior Devenholm | Proud member of Zealots of Shiverpeak [ZoS] | Northern Shiverpeaks

The New CDI Topics

Previous

Chris Whiteside.6102

Studio Design Director

Next

For the PvE topic would it be to much if it is about Fractals but also about dungeons in general?

Hi Arwen,

I have been thinking a lot about this. My concern is that the PVE thread may become cumbersome. I will think about it a little more.

Chris

The New CDI Topics

Previous

Chris Whiteside.6102

Studio Design Director

Next

My only request is that you either remove the Dredge Fractal completely or annihilate a massive portion of respawning mobs in there, especially the clown car (there is no reason for this to exist, it is just a time gate).

This Fractal is the sole reason pretty much everyone I know cannot be bothered with daily runs anymore. It’s too mind-numbingly tedious.

Also, Dredge are annoying by design. Spamming powerful boons with impunity, immunity to blind, insanely strong projectile attacks, unnecessarily long CCs, but worst of all, ridiculous head count.

I will go in to more detail in the official thread if needs be.

Thanks Auesis and Yi,

It would indeed be great if we keep the feedback for when the official threads open (-:

Chris

The New CDI Topics

Posted by: A R W E N.6895

A R W E N.6895

Hi Arwen,

I have been thinking a lot about this. My concern is that the PVE thread may become cumbersome. I will think about it a little more.

Chris

I agree that it could be cumbersome, but I still think that lots of thing that could be improved in fractal could also find their way into dungeons. I guess it the CDI could strictly stay on topic (Fractal) but could also be a future reference to Dungeon improvement

Arwen

I love debate
[Kr] Dungeon Speedclear & Fractals
www.keep-running.fr

The New CDI Topics

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

With all due respect, I think many of the WvW players would like to see more results from the first CDI, before we move on to discussion concerning EoTM.

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

The New CDI Topics

Posted by: darkfiremew.5937

darkfiremew.5937

Concerning fractals:-make both ascended armour and trinkets have agony resistance slots just like the rings
-let us experience the fractals to level 100 and fix the scaling accordingly
-introduce more fractal dungeons that are available only after a certain threshold like one of the new fractals will star appearing after level 10 or when you first get agony inflicted upon you, or when you have collected a certain number of fractal currency
-implement agony resistance to legendary weapons as well as ascended ones
-a wider variation on mistlock instabilities, have more than one after level 40 or 50
- Tyrian history is vast, explore moments when certain species went extinct
-possible fractals could be portions of god-realms (and not just Grenth’s and Balthazar’s)
- allow us to actually utilise that max 30 agony resistance when we get to higher levels(don’t just one-shot us unless we aren’t equipped for that level of difficulty) , again SCALE PROPERLY, I can’t stress this enough
- fix bugs on current fractals when implementing changes to anything(they always appear)
- let us delve deeper into Dessa’s story, just like the Halloween stuff, the Zephyrites, one update isn’t enough
- implement those leaderboards for fractals (you mentioned in an update that they will come and we’re still waiting).
You may add to my suggestions, I have FORGOTTEN a few stuff. Have fun .

The New CDI Topics

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

That’s a nice, interesting mix of topics. WIll you guys have enough time to invest in so many though? Great if you do obviously (I’m presuming a wider range of devs interacting this time rather than just yourself + 1-2 others?).

Also, with 4 on the go, will it not be easier to implement a CDI subforum just to keep track?

The New CDI Topics

Posted by: Blackarps.1974

Blackarps.1974

Are you guys starting all these topics at once or will we see them in some kind of order over the course of a few days/weeks?

I’ve got a few ideas for the WvW discussion but I don’t want to forget them. I’ll probably jot them down in a txt file tonight actually.

Maguuma Guardian

The New CDI Topics

Previous

Chris Whiteside.6102

Studio Design Director

Next

Are you guys starting all these topics at once or will we see them in some kind of order over the course of a few days/weeks?

I’ve got a few ideas for the WvW discussion but I don’t want to forget them. I’ll probably jot them down in a txt file tonight actually.

Hi Blackarps,

They will run concurrently and be hosted by a different member of ArenaNet’s Dev team.

Chris

The New CDI Topics

Posted by: Asia Skyly.7198

Asia Skyly.7198

Thank you for the heads up.

I am passionate about fractals. I wanted to thank you for giving us the opportunity to comment and provide our suggestions. I will try to be as constructive as possible. I look forward to this discussion.

The New CDI Topics

Previous

Chris Whiteside.6102

Studio Design Director

Next

Thank you for the heads up.

I am passionate about fractals. I wanted to thank you for giving us the opportunity to comment and provide our suggestions. I will try to be as constructive as possible. I look forward to this discussion.

Me to.

Chris

The New CDI Topics

Posted by: xXxOrcaxXx.9328

xXxOrcaxXx.9328

I hope there will be soon a thread just for the ranger…
And I hope that the people posting in this thread keep their suggestions short, which I doubt would happen.

Ranger - Guardian - Warrior - Elementalist - Necromancer - Mesmer
EU Elona Reach – Void Sentinels

The New CDI Topics

Posted by: erickn.1853

erickn.1853

The dredge fractal can be annoying and tedious, but is challenging as hell and I apreciate this. The fractals are the most challenging dungeon in GW2, they have the potential to be the “endgame” dungeon of the game for a long time. The fractals’ random nature, teleporting the players to very diferent locations makes the dungeon diverse and fresh. Also, it shows us places and times we never could experience otherwise, a thing loremaniacs like me appreciate.
The fracatals have to be more challenging, and in the same way, more fun. Maybe you could implement a hardcore mode, with the normal mode having the actual fractals (less the dredge fractal) and the hardcore mode having new fractals (plus the dredge fractal) and/or modified fractals with challenging mistlocks, having exclusive and/or higher rewards.

The New CDI Topics

Posted by: Shanna.4762

Shanna.4762

I run fractals a lot with my friends, and yeah the dredge fractal is tedious and annoying as other’s have stated largely due to the time-sink encounter. I prefer Fractals to be quick and challenging rather than drawn out and boring. Also, a title achievement would be nice considering how often I run them it would be nice for the fractal runner achievement had a title associated with it at x number of completed fractals. Something prestigious and cool, not silly.

For more drawn out PVE experiences, I really want new dungeons away from fractals. New storylines, achievements, etc but I guess this wouldn’t be the discussion to talk about that in.

The New CDI Topics

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

I want to discuss further on how to evolve especially the Professions, balance wise as like also progressionally in general, because this can also be used to further balance the professions on a next level in a different way, than by just adjusting skils and traits only and it helps to make the game in the end also more interesting – reminding Chris on your words about making an own CDI Thread about Sub Classes tehe, I’m persistent ^^ but I think this can be linked together also with the Bonus Topic.

Just some first throughs that run through my brain after reading the topics:

• Make Fractals more rewarding, they are more challenging than the average normal Dungeon, so you should get more than just 1 Gold. They should be same as rewarding like Arah, or at least nearly the same (2,5G)
  • Add more Rewards, Pristine Fractal Relics need more usage, other then to exchange them only ascendend Accessoires:
    - Fractal Weapons for Pristine Fractal Relics
    - New Fractal Armor Sets for pristine Fractal Relicts
    - New Minipets for Pristine Fractal Relics
    - Those Book Items that give you a Level Up for Fractal Relics/Pristine Fractal Relics
    - Fractal Finisher for Pristine Fractal Relics
  • Add more new Fractals, like some that are based on the Guild Wars Novels, let us replay what actually happened in the Books, like fightign against the Ghosts of Ascalon and seeign the Foefire, like replaying the story of Destinies Edge and viewing the Death of Snaff/seeign their battle against Kralkatorrik/ Glints Death.
    Fractals of the Mist remind me always on the History Books of GW1 from the Bonus Mission Pack.
    I want Fractals to become more like the Bonus Mission Pack. Add History Books that we fill up with entries so more we play the fractals to get special rewards from a Historian NPC if we give him the completed Chronicles of a History with that we could get special historic Weapons/Armors just like we used them in GW1 to get with them special historical weapons .

Fractals are the perfect Feature, to make the transition between GW1 and GW2 more understandable by letting us actually play what happened in the 250 years between both Games. I would also love to play some content based on Arah, before that place sunk, that so far only GW1 Beta players have seen, before you desided to sink that place for the release of GW1…. i’d like to know, how Arah looked like, before all of that happened. so an pre historical Arah Fractal would be very awesome, maybe just one where we actualyl can replay the sinking of Arah, that moment where the town got lost out of the view from Orrians
I’d also like it, if we could still get that Fractal where we could replay the Fall of Abaddon, I mean, all that work behind it, it would be a waste not to use this content also, regardless of the fact that Kiel has won, we need only just a new reason, why that fractal becomes accessible

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

The New CDI Topics

Posted by: arkealia.2713

arkealia.2713

Played a lot in EotM this week and I really love it. Some things are really good and fun but might not fit in current WvW. I look forward to the discussions on both this and fractal.

The New CDI Topics

Posted by: Solypsys.1876

Solypsys.1876

I’ve been playing fractals fairly regularly since they were initially introduced so I have a few big suggestions for that area:

High level fractals/Endgame:

• The max fractal cap (50) needs to be eliminated or changed to the highest level of fractals that you EVER want players to complete (potentially 80)
  • The difficulty of higher level fractals should not come from excessive health and damage scaling but should utilize the mistlock instabilities to create the bulk of the difficulty
  • The instabilities for higher level fractals should add significant difficulty for players that isn’t in the form of lengthening encounters, an example of a good one would be the instability at 35 that causes stunning lightning strikes to constantly appear around the players. The instabilities at high levels (60+) in particular need to focus around substantially crippling certain common behaviors of players.
  • High level fractals should also incorporate multiple instabilities
  • Most importantly high level fractals, particularly in the 60-80 range, should not have any “safe” levels E.G. fractals 36, 38, 49 with ignore-able instabilities. Groups attempting high level fractals should have to make a seasoned decision what level to run based on their group composition.
  • All of these would ultimately allow for fractal leaderboards again especially if the 70-80 fractals prove to be extremely difficult

Rewards:

• The bonus gold reward needs to be increased even taking into account the increased t6/rares droprate. Currently 10-15 minute dungeons award at least 1.26 gold while a 45 minute fractal 49 (which is near perfect with no mistakes or dredge) awards about 1.4 gold I believe
  • More things should be available for purchase with (pristine) relics. The only good suggestion I could think of at the moment is to allow for fractal weapon chests to be purchased for a large amount of fractal currency (I’m thinking at least 1000 relics and 20 pristine)
  • Potentially consider additional currencies exclusive to high level fractals
  • Fractal weapon drop rates need to be increased SLIGHTLY, fractal weapons currently carry prestige in that they are one of the few weapon sets that cant be bought with gold. As such the drop rates are a little low now, weapon skins at the 4x level should be increased from the ~5% it is now to 10-15% and skin chests added at this level at 5%. These drop rates should increase gradually until 70+ fractals nearly guarantee a skin or chest.
  • Ascended rings need to be adressed, the first idea I have is to simply make them salvagable and they would potentially give orichalcum, ecto, dark matter, and mist essence (if theyre infused)
  • The second ring idea is to implement significant mystic forge recipes involving rings such as: 3 infused rings of the same type plus a certain amount of mist essence will yield an ascended amulet with the same stat combo and the infusion slot determined by the type of mist essence used. This gives a use for rings and a legitimate use for mist essence. Also, you could incorporate new items bought with fractal relics into these recipes to yield different items or stats.

Other suggestions:

• The dredge fractal needs to be shortened considerably
  • There are still a number of bugs that need addressed
  • Please for the love of god remove “rolling,” not only is swamp my least favorite fractal but it is now impossible to get any of the other “initial” fractals such as underwater. A couple of the tier 2 fractals can be dropped to tier 1 (aetherblade hideout) and rolling needs to be eliminated

The New CDI Topics

Orpheal.8263

For actually WvW and the good things of EotM to be used to improve the overall WvW, I think of these things:

• Improve the AI of Guards/Merecenaries/Change Guards/Mercenaries to many various different types like in EotM, other than the always same Charr Guards with the same Skills
  • Let defending Guards get improved AI in the other Maps, so that they also use Siege Weapons to defend places.
    Implement those Signal Towers, that enable players to see, where enemies are on the map especially !!
  • Making more Events/Requirement that reward Players with special Features in WvW like using funny environmental weapons or receiving special siege weapons.

But WvW needs also other improvements, besides of the actual good things that EotM has over the other normal WvW Maps.

To evolve Profession balance and Evolution, there are alot of thigns that come into my mind now:

• Underwater Skill Rebalancing/Redesigning, this spot is so worse, that really alot of players hate Underwater Combat due to the unbalanced skills, due to the point that alot of Skilsl aren’t usable under water, when they in fact should adapt their effects like Tornado changes into Maelstrom <- all skills should work like this. No skill should be unavaiable for underwater combat and if the original effects don’t fit to water, change the skill slightly until it fits, like turning for example traps into mines for the thief, the engineer also uses mines under water
  • Splitting finally please the Trait System into Land Traits and Underwater Traits, both combat systems need to have their own seperate Trait Systems with own seperate Trait Points. Players of certain Classes like the Thief completely despise in most of all cases the underwater combat, because cureently the water combats completely cripple down the effectiveness of the Thief class down to 1 3rd of what this class can do on land, especially because thiefs lose in the waters their most significant feature nearly completely that is stealth. Shadow Refuge needs to become useable under water.
  • Trait Merging. Alot of the Classes still have alot of too weak/useless traits, that don’t feel worthy the trait points of . Some Classes like the Ranger or the Thief feel in certain mechanics, like needign some fundamental redesigns to improve the gameplay of the class and to give those two classes more build diversity and allowing those classes to be played more unpredictable for other players that use different classes.

In regard of the Thief I’ve suggested several time,s that the Steal mechanic and the Venom Mechanic could get improved by turning Venoms into the Thiefs F2-F4 SKills allowing Thiefs to equip up to 3 different Venoms that should have influence on the Weapon Skills changing their Weapon skills temporarely into different new Skills, wile the venoms duration isn’t over, removing their hit based duration and changing venoms into a time based duration mechanic to allow thief players to make more of tactical usage from their Venoms in combat.
This would allow you to replace the Venom Utility Skills with new more useful Utility Skills.
Thiefs should also have an option to improve the amount of how oftenly they can steal, before they have to use a stolen item to become able to steal something new..
Thiefs should be able to steal up to 3 items maximum.
Remove the Shadow Step thats bonded to Stealing and improve Shadow Steps by changing them conceptually into Shadow Walkings, which should be Phase Shifts in which the Thief moves faster than normal from A to B just and is in that movement phase just auto dodging incoming attacks.
this way the thief becomes more independent from Stealth mitigating not always Damage buy beign perma stealthes.
Blindign Powder needs to get nerfed finally, so that this kind of cheap perma stealths should get stopped finally.
Thiefs shouldn’t be able to perma stealth. period. Increase their durations of stealth a bit via traits yes, but blding powder and heatseaking through BP for eternal stealth has to get nerfed. Therefore increase slightly the maximum Base Health of Thieves and give this class some options more to receive somehow Stability.
Increase the cost of Heart Seeker from 3 to 4 initiative, but alos increase the range from 450 to 600 to make it a better Gap Closer and to balance this skill better out agaisnt the insane moveability of the Great Sword Warriors, which are atm ridiculously overpowered in regard of Moveability, where Thieves should be the profession with the best fastest moveability, thats why thieves are thieves, they are the fastest of all, they need to be fast to survive, its their trademark, not that of the Warriors.

So far the first brainstorming. I’ll go more into details in the seperate topics later

The New CDI Topics

Previous

Chris Whiteside.6102

Studio Design Director

Next

Folks please save you proposals, feedback and topic related discussion for when the threads actually open on Monday, or the CDI community may not see your posts.

I would hate to see your ideas get lost or missed.

Chris

The New CDI Topics

Orpheal.8263

Don’t worry, I’ll repeat myself as much as neccessary
There won’t get lost something ^^
However, as said… I’ll wait on the topics later – I just like alot to brainstorm when I get inspired

The New CDI Topics

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

Hi Chris,

Even though i followed the past CDI progress, I wasnt really involved in it proactively.

In general I think it has proven to be a great way to improve communcation between the community and the company and you are doing a great job.

However, in one of the initial posts i think i read that the CDI is aiming to improve all aspects of the game. Unfortunately, i have seen the CDI only focussing on 3 parts, pve, wvw and pvp.

Personally, apart from wvw, the game economy is one of my favourite parts of the game to play. I make alot of gold on the trading post, not for the purpose of spending gold or selling it but just for the ske to know that I am able to make more than the average player, its my game of competive gameplay. Needless to say that John Smiths post about Equilibrium in the market in August and the 2 ascended crafting updates in September and december were my most favourite ones last year.

As a frequent forum user, i realized that the forums for crafting and the BLTC are seldom visited by devs, unless there is some trouble with gems.

I am fully aware that John Smith is quite limited in the information he can post concerning the economy but i personally think that the communication between Anet and the player base could be improved in regards of crafting and the TP/gem store.

I know that some of the issues have been covered in the horizontal/vertical progression CDI topic but i would much rather see a seperate CDI covering the BLTC/crafting/economy of the game in one of the dedicated forums to it.

I am fully aware that John Smith is quite limited in his posts concerning any of these topics concerning the economy and this post is by no means targeted to discredit him in any way, after all the velocity of common crafting mats kept me logging in since September.

But I do think that John could need some help in the ways of communicating with the player base. Just to make sure, this is not a post to flame John, I really appreaciate what he has done so far and I think that the GW2 TP is the best market I have seen in an mmo. He is an excellent economist but he is very limited to what he can say due to internal policies, which i can understand.

As i said, I am very active on the BLTC and Crafting Forums and i would love to see some more dev response there. Apart from me, there are alot of good guys posting frequently in it with alot of knowledge. Right now, it seems that John keeps his posts to a minimum and to the BLTC Forums ( I dont argue with that, even though i think he should pay some attention to thecrafting forum, as it discusses the economy quite often). This post is also not about flaming John because in general I think he has done a kitten job of keeping me logging in every day. So I dont argue with you that he is a great Game Economist ( I really think so!) but i think he needs a little help in communicating with the player base in general.

Chris, you have done a tremendous job in supervising the CDI so far, be it pve, wvw or spvp based. It doesnt matter what knowledge you have of each aspect of the game, communication skills top it all, as long as you have someone next to you in knowing what he is talking about.

However, from a personal point of view, i would really appreciate a CDI concerning crafting/trading. Johns input is always appreciated but I understand his choice of being absent in some discussions due to his position as game economist. I already mentioned that i dont blame him but i think he can learn a great deal from you, trying to communicate to the general player base.

Cheers, Bloin

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

The New CDI Topics

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

So the Owners will have over the weekend to get their Primers together.

Those should make for some fascinating reading. Looking forward to how the Devs lay the groundwork and show off their internal/official understanding of those topics. The “where we see ourselves as being” that comes before “and now we move forward” of the thread itself.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

The New CDI Topics

Posted by: Master Yi.6129

Master Yi.6129

Folks please save you proposals, feedback and topic related discussion for when the threads actually open on Monday, or the CDI community may not see your posts.

Chris

This isn’t the official thread?
…..I call dibs on first page

The New CDI Topics

Previous

Chris Whiteside.6102

Studio Design Director

Next

Hi Chris,

Even though i followed the past CDI progress, I wasnt really involved in it proactively.

In general I think it has proven to be a great way to improve communcation between the community and the company and you are doing a great job.

However, in one of the initial posts i think i read that the CDI is aiming to improve all aspects of the game. Unfortunately, i have seen the CDI only focussing on 3 parts, pve, wvw and pvp.

Personally, apart from wvw, the game economy is one of my favourite parts of the game to play. I make alot of gold on the trading post, not for the purpose of spending gold or selling it but just for the ske to know that I am able to make more than the average player, its my game of competive gameplay. Needless to say that John Smiths post about Equilibrium in the market in August and the 2 ascended crafting updates in September and december were my most favourite ones last year.

As a frequent forum user, i realized that the forums for crafting and the BLTC are seldom visited by devs, unless there is some trouble with gems.

I am fully aware that John Smith is quite limited in the information he can post concerning the economy but i personally think that the communication between Anet and the player base could be improved in regards of crafting and the TP/gem store.

I know that some of the issues have been covered in the horizontal/vertical progression CDI topic but i would much rather see a seperate CDI covering the BLTC/crafting/economy of the game in one of the dedicated forums to it.

I am fully aware that John Smith is quite limited in his posts concerning any of these topics concerning the economy and this post is by no means targeted to discredit him in any way, after all the velocity of common crafting mats kept me logging in since September.

But I do think that John could need some help in the ways of communicating with the player base. Just to make sure, this is not a post to flame John, I really appreaciate what he has done so far and I think that the GW2 TP is the best market I have seen in an mmo. He is an excellent economist but he is very limited to what he can say due to internal policies, which i can understand.

As i said, I am very active on the BLTC and Crafting Forums and i would love to see some more dev response there. Apart from me, there are alot of good guys posting frequently in it with alot of knowledge. Right now, it seems that John keeps his posts to a minimum and to the BLTC Forums ( I dont argue with that, even though i think he should pay some attention to thecrafting forum, as it discusses the economy quite often). This post is also not about flaming John because in general I think he has done a kitten job of keeping me logging in every day. So I dont argue with you that he is a great Game Economist ( I really think so!) but i think he needs a little help in communicating with the player base in general.

Chris, you have done a tremendous job in supervising the CDI so far, be it pve, wvw or spvp based. It doesnt matter what knowledge you have of each aspect of the game, communication skills top it all, as long as you have someone next to you in knowing what he is talking about.

However, from a personal point of view, i would really appreciate a CDI concerning crafting/trading. Johns input is always appreciated but I understand his choice of being absent in some discussions due to his position as game economist. I already mentioned that i dont blame him but i think he can learn a great deal from you, trying to communicate to the general player base.

Cheers, Bloin

Hi Bloin,

Good idea.

I will see what the Commerce & Rewards team think.

Chris

The New CDI Topics

Posted by: Getefix.9150

Getefix.9150

for fractals, i would love to see events from the first game make it – how about the battle with the lich, shiro and varesh for boss fights? maybe other missions like minister cho’s estate, the harvest temple, attack on gandara, thunderhead peak or sanctum cay

actually, i would love to play the gate of madness in gw2

“Nothing is true, Everything is permitted”

Kiel Replacement Movement

The New CDI Topics

Posted by: eekzie.5640

eekzie.5640

Hi Chris,

Great to see these interesting topics pop up!

Is there any chance we will be seeing more feedback on the already closed ’’Fractured’’ sub-forum? There’s already a lot of great suggestions that were made there.

Maybe if we can get a better idea of where you would be comfortable on giving feedback we can get more productive in the CDI. A bit of pingpong one might say. I’ve experienced a lot of negativity surrounding the latest fractal living story. And I feel we’ve not had proper closure of that yet, mostly regarding the vision for the future and feedback on a lot of things that were promised but not yet delivered.

Regardless I will be making a big ol’ summary of fractured now and where it should be in the future.

The New CDI Topics

Posted by: Kreator.3701

Kreator.3701

I would like to have more ranked and elitist about pvp…As a Gladiator in WoW i love the ’’elitist’’ side of pvp and this is the only reason why i have played gw1 and gw2 as PvE and not PvP.

The New CDI Topics

Posted by: Zaoda.1653

Zaoda.1653

I look forward to the next CDI.

On the topic of fractals & rewards, is it possible for Anet to look at this thread?

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/New-Ascended-Back-item-recipes-not-working

It’s in regards to a couple ascended back items that should have been given the option of swapping out 1 vial of condensed mists essence with 250 bloodstone dust in the forge, but somehow both back items were forgotten in the update to their recipes (There with Yakkington: A Traveler’s Tale, and Quiver of a Thousand Arrows). I’m not into fractals myself and I thought it was a great update, but was saddened to find out that the backpiece I wanted to craft was left out of this. Could someone please look into this?

I’ll be sure to post this in the CDI topic too so it’s not lost

Forever a supporter of more male skimpy armor

(edited by Zaoda.1653)

The New CDI Topics

Posted by: videoboy.4162

videoboy.4162

Chris,

You forgot to add in the new Rule about removing off-topic posts to help ease up on clutter.

The New CDI Topics

Nike.2631

Chris,

You forgot to add in the new Rule about removing off-topic posts to help ease up on clutter.

I think the word ‘ruthlessly’ may need to go in front of ‘removing’ to make that actually work .

The New CDI Topics

Posted by: Gulesave.5073

Gulesave.5073

Hi Arwen,

Chris

You could open it up a bit by allowing any topic that involves both fractals and dungeons, while excluding topics that are explicitly dungeon-only. That might encourage some nice cross-fertilization.

I should be writing.

The New CDI Topics

Nike.2631

While both fractals and Dungeons are 5 man instances, I don’t think they are nearly the same thing. Lets try a focused CDI topic (just for the variety ) and maybe swing around to a Dungeons-only thread were we don’t have two entirely separate rewards schemes muddying the waters?

The New CDI Topics

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

Well, I could use other topics, but those are not bad.

I’ll by readying my ideas on my CDI.txt file as usual for the 17th.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

The New CDI Topics

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

While both fractals and Dungeons are 5 man instances, I don’t think they are nearly the same thing. Lets try a focused CDI topic (just for the variety ) and maybe swing around to a Dungeons-only thread were we don’t have two entirely separate rewards schemes muddying the waters?

I agree with Nike here, despite being an avid dungeoneer AND fractal runner. I think having a more specific topic will be better for all of us, and especially Chris.

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

The New CDI Topics

Posted by: Starfire Rose.6491

Starfire Rose.6491

Was wondering if anyone of the development team has thought about a system for us to teleport to fellow guild members in the game. Sometimes it seems like it takes so long to get a group together. It would be nice if we could do something like click on the persons name and have a button to teleport to them.

The New CDI Topics

Previous

Chris Whiteside.6102

Studio Design Director

Next

Chris,

I did include it (-:

9: Posts will be removed moving forward if they are not pertinent to the topic of the CDI.

I assume your point is, ‘Why aren’t you enforcing it yet?’

If so the answer is that this particular thread is pretty amorphous anyway (-:

However I will bump one of my previous posts.

Chris

(edited by Chris Whiteside.6102)

The New CDI Topics

Previous

Chris Whiteside.6102

Studio Design Director

Next

Chris

Bump

Chris

The New CDI Topics

Posted by: videoboy.4162

videoboy.4162

Chris,

I did include it (-:

9: Posts will be removed moving forward if they are not pertinent to the topic of the CDI.

Chris

LOL No, I just didn’t see it in your first post listing The Rules.

The New CDI Topics

Previous

Chris Whiteside.6102

Studio Design Director

Next

Chris,

I did include it (-:

Chris

LOL No, I just didn’t see it in your first post listing The Rules.

Ahh I see (-:

Chris

The New CDI Topics

Posted by: Braghez.7529

Braghez.7529

PVE: I would like to see more challenging stuff in FotM after 50…i mean..mobs just doing more insane dmg always scaling up is kinda stupid and doesn’t actually prove the worth of a player skill-wise….each fractal imo should require different mechanics or complicate the original one as you scale up with fractals, put random instabilities,making them individual would be kinda cool too, but maybe too hard to organize for the most, so just put random instabilities except for lvl 30-40-50 and so on. A feature to not let you just reset the fractal would be cool too, so that people will not reset till they find something good (stage and instability-wise) maybe put a cooldown if you reset too many times.
More stages would be nice too, but i think you’re already working on them so i won’t nag much about it. Oh, and make gold reward scale more for the fractal…i mean, each level should be like 10 (or 5) s more, making a level 50 worth 5g or so (a lvl 50 actually take some skill, knowledge and most of all time) ah ! about time…dredge fractal is too stupid, you just get more and more and more mobs…like 20 minutes needed to clear the last part before boss…by killing stupid mobs wich are no challenging at all, just wasting your time since there’s like hundreds of them…

PVP:Not sure about the league system…dont know how it works for now so i can’t tell, a starcraft’s system would be quite good imo, 100 in gold league, 100 silver, 100 bronze and the rest no league, wich will be resetted at fixed intervals to let new people have the chance to rank up a bit too (maybe extend the range of leagues, 100 is a bit strict)

WVW: Keep with buffs and special units, lords more powerful (even a bit more than EotM) or even better that they require mechanics to take them down. This would allow even not so big numbers to take it down. I like the new generator system too instead of supply camps, maybe you could put that dolyaks will still be used by keeps…i mean, keeps have their generator, but towers are too small…you can’t build generators for everything (i know that in EotM you can, but it’s because the map is quite more complex too xD) so make that keeps will delivers supplies to towers…making keeps way more important strategically wise…so you get two birds with one stone, you can introduce a new mechanic in wvw, keep an old one to not make it useless (so sniping teams can still be used) and making more important for people to keep the keep…sorry for the pun so, remove the old supply camps and put npc camps with upgrades/boons etc actually usefull to the game (the npc camps right now in WVW are utterly useless). That’s all i can think right now for EotM stuff for WVW…for WVW itself i would think a rework for capping big stuff like keeps and SM, i would put something like a protection shield, if the keep is upgraded enough , and then put an event to build something like a mega laser or a distruption bomb in wich you have to build and defend while it charge (a laser vwould be optimal since it could stay at a safe and smart distance ( but a mini bomb to take it down temporally would be cool too, so that poeple have to check the walls during a siege, ye…no event for the bomb one…put only a 1 min cast time and that the shield go down for a “defense event”…idk how it’s properly called sorry…the one wich gives you rewards and reset the spawn of the lord if not conquered)…sorry for the off topic.

(edited by Braghez.7529)

The New CDI Topics

Posted by: Sublimatio.6981

Sublimatio.6981

Fractals – reproduce some GW1 missions I BEG YOU

The New CDI Topics

Posted by: guardian.6489

guardian.6489

Chris I feel that lists ignores a key issue the community has with the game in general. Risk and rewards.

In fact within each of those topics you’ll probably hear the same arguments about rewards over and over again which pretty much comes down to the fact that fast and easy content (speed clearing dungeons, world boss train, etc) is much more profitable then hard and longer content (30+ fractals, The Wurm, Tequatl, Arah, etc.) which is kinda hurting the game. I’d really like to see a discussion about this issue at some point.

Fractals in general I think are in a good state with the exception of rewards…. and that one fractal THAT SHALL NOT BE NAMED.

Retired Leader of TTS

The New CDI Topics

Posted by: Braghez.7529

Braghez.7529

Professions Mesmer : You practically nerfed every side of it just leaving a kitten direct damage build because people wouldn’t bother to learn how to fight vs a mesmer. Nerfed shatters…nerfed confusion… right now i think it’s an utter joke as a class it have cool mechanics, but not properly made…plus it feels nothing like the old mesmer..i know that magic have evolved and everything, but right now it feels nothing like the old role of the mesmers…wich made them MESMERS, not just purplish eles.
Right now the only build that makes me feel a mesmer is the confusion/interrupt one with perplexity runes, wich isn’t viable in pvp for the lack of runes…YET confusion is a skill that contraddict itself, the dmg it does is insane, but hard to stack (wich is fine) but ! it shouldn’t reduce the atk speed of the enemy…i mean, it counter itself…in WVW it’s awesome, in pve not so much ! in pvp it’s totally impossible to make it properly useful for now, considering the 50% debuff it have too…so, put it as a heavy CC the more stack it have, or put that at least mobs atks more since they’re in a confusional state …or that they have a chance to miss, idk…something…right now it’s like if torment triggered only while walking, wich would still be useful for wvw, but not so much for pve since most mobs are stationary….and that they would more likely be stationary with that on ( my main isn’t mesmer, so i won’t have that much personal gain to see them buffed a bit)

Profession Warrios : Warriors….warriors…so many bad sides honestly…i mean, they’re bad because it’s TOO GOOD …i mean…at everything…and how much skill you require for that ? almost none.
Warrior it’s too automatic, traits that reduce % of conditions, traits that automatically activate stuff (and strong stuff too i mean…not some retaliation every 30 sec if you get under 10% life, it’s just a example, there’re no traits that much bad lol). Automatic reduction of CC, and you get regen too for that…automatic heal, both as a MAJOR 15 POINTS TRAIT (really? 15 points for THAT much regen…wich even promote a mindless use of the core mechanic of the war of the adrenaline, i mean…with that trait who the hell use their F1 ? it’s a too big disadvantage, plus it scale too much with HP) trait and both as a signet, healing signet shouldn’t be automatic at all, in GW1 you had to actually be careful when using that for the armor debuff ! It just promotes even more the mindless gameplay.
Stances…i mean, some people think they’re useless…but…invulnerable to all dmg for all that time ?? and immune to conditions too with another one…another example of mindless war gameplay (oh…i have lot of conditions, press 7, 8/9, immune…ooohh..now it’s better. really ? ) and endure pain is a trait too, with all the dps they have that time is more than enough to make a lot of damage, plus you said that you wanted to decrease the vigor for every class to promote a more skillfull gameplay, that’s fine…but then why put things that make a class immortal ? pve wise maybe it’s not that much, pvp that few seconds is like a world of difference…remove those inv frames, maybe i could leave condi one but…meh, and put them a lil more endurance gain…maybe when they use their F1, it would make sense and promote a better use of their core mechanic…a sudden burst of adrenaline is bound to increase your endurange a bit too ? no ? i want to be generous too…put them 50% endurance for when they use F1(at 3 bars), adrenaline isn’t so fast to gain anyway.
Those are some, but the list it’s way longer to make it balanced…the dps and access to still bulky builds is way too easy, guardians are much easier to take down when not builded tanky/support…so, high dps is fine…just don’t make them omnipotent and automatic at that.