Wheres New Content?? (State of the Game) [merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

Perhaps we’ve been really testing the game for Chinese players all this time?

Posted by: Dracones.9105

Dracones.9105

That’s true, but they’re not forcing anyone to buy gems on a regular basis. In fact, after buying some gems with real money, I decided never to again. I’m now buying gems with gold.

Which is fine, but a lot of people don’t have issues spending real money for convenience. You sort of need the new users to come into the game and spend real money on gems that they can sell you for your gold(since you’re a long time user that’s geared/setup to earn it faster than them).

I don’t think living story is going to do that. If they’d gone with the expansion model based on GW1 releases there would’ve been an expansion for GW2 out already with a lot of buzz about the new features/content coming out in the next expansion in the fall.

Posted by: KOPPER.1458

KOPPER.1458

Does anyone know if China gets LS season 1? Will they be a year behind in that story or simply skip it?

Posted by: Vespero.6180

Vespero.6180

we all know chinese likes to repeat the same things till they vomit… it could be true.
We paid to beta test

Posted by: timmyf.1490

timmyf.1490

Does anyone know if China gets LS season 1? Will they be a year behind in that story or simply skip it?

No, they’ll get the world as we know it.

Karaoke – Guild Leader – [MEGA] Super Mega Happy Fun Time
www.getunicorned.com / northernshiverpeaks.org

Posted by: Skan.5301

Skan.5301

We paid to beta test

Only we didn’t get paid. Aside from those of us that have disillusioned ourselves into thinking GW2 is perfect for whatever reason, we’ve basically been guinea pigs for ANet while they set the game up to be eye candy for the East.

Like Vespero said, the Chinese and Koreans won’t have any complaints about the legendary process. I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if a month after the China release, there’s a whole server there that’s outfitted with full Ascended and Legendaries.

“Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.”
– Euripides

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

I would be willing to bet that the second phase of the Living story will be a filler developed by a minimal part of their team while the majority of them work on a new game.

While this could be disappointing, because of the unfulfilled potential of GW2, if we were in their shoes it’s probably what we would all do considering the fast pace at which moves the industry.

They didn’t just acquire the Unreal 4 Engine for their future project to sit on it a few years developing content for their old GW2 engine. (source: http://www.examiner.com/article/guild-wars-2-publisher-inks-unreal-engine-4-guild-wars-3-coming ) They have to train their developers to work with the new engine and start making content early on.

The merging of servers to manage low population issues also hint at the fact that they are looking ahead beyond GW2. The Chinese release will give them a fresh cash income for the development of their future project.

Skan.5301

I would be willing to bet that the second phase of the Living story will be a filler developed by a minimal part of their team while the majority of them work on a new game.

While this could be disappointing, because of the unfulfilled potential of GW2, if we were in their shoes it’s probably what we would all do considering the fast pace at which moves the industry.

They didn’t just acquire the Unreal 4 Engine for their future project to sit on it a few years developing content for their old GW2 engine. (source: http://www.examiner.com/article/guild-wars-2-publisher-inks-unreal-engine-4-guild-wars-3-coming ) They have to train their developers to work with the new engine and start making content early on.

The merging of servers to manage low population issues also hint at the fact that they are looking ahead beyond GW2. The Chinese release will give them a fresh cash income for the development of their future project.

Aside from the fact that article started with ‘“Guild Wars 2” has been without a doubt one of the biggest successes over the past twelve months in the realm of PC gaming, and the company that brought gamers the great MMO…"’ and made me lol, you might be on to something.

The problem is, GW3 has nothing to go on. Aside from the career white knights and the few that actually enjoy GW2, they’ve probably lost a good portion of their fan base with GW2.

And before the Great Manifesto Debate, they had many loyal GW fans. Before we start arguing about tge manifesto itself, it caused a lot of problems and caused a lot of fans to lose trust. The past 2 years have just added to that, as evident on the forums.

– Euripides

Posted by: Flytrap.8075

Flytrap.8075

And before the Great Manifesto Debate, they had many loyal GW fans. Before we start arguing about tge manifesto itself, it caused a lot of problems and caused a lot of fans to lose trust. The past 2 years have just added to that, as evident on the forums.

Agreed.

I for one will definitely not buy Guild Wars 3 if and when it comes out.

Fort Aspenwood | [Bags]

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

NCSoft (whom the article is about) have a rather large number of other games under their banner, so assuming it means GW3 seems rather far-fetched.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

NCSoft (whom the article is about) have a rather large number of other games under their banner, so assuming it means GW3 seems rather far-fetched.

I didn’t mention GW3, only the article did. Financially GW2 was a huge success, it’s normal to presume they are planning GW3.

Posted by: nGumball.1283

nGumball.1283

Aside from the fact that article started with ‘“Guild Wars 2” has been without a doubt one of the biggest successes over the past twelve months in the realm of PC gaming, and the company that brought gamers the great MMO…"’ and made me lol, you might be on to something.

The problem is, GW3 has nothing to go on. Aside from the career white knights and the few that actually enjoy GW2, they’ve probably lost a good portion of their fan base with GW2.

1. GW2 was a commercial success wether your lovely opinion agrees to it or not. In fact, commercial success has nothing with the quality to do, it is about the media reaction and then we got the sales, everything else is nothibg but baseless, subjective opinions.

2. GW2 forums never were a place for the communiaty but merely for complaints and whining. Most people, active in GW2 forums include a popular names in teh community who have been hating since months, the value of the feedback in this specific forum is very little and it reflects nothing but some people and their ’’guilds’’/’’friends’’ who apparently seem to have the left the game because it is garbage, yet leave the game again with the new patch and then leave it again with a new patch…explaining this mystery is beyond my capability.

Flytrap.8075

GW2 forums never were a place for the communiaty but merely for complaints and whining.

Yet the white knights still run rampant.

Fort Aspenwood | [Bags]

lordkrall.7241

I didn’t mention GW3, only the article did. Financially GW2 was a huge success, it’s normal to presume they are planning GW3.

No, you didn’t, but you more or less said that it was THIS team that was looking beyond GW2, which is not implied at all based on the information of that article (other than the ASSUMPTIONS from the write), seeing as they never mention ArenaNet.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: nGumball.1283

nGumball.1283

GW2 forums never were a place for the communiaty but merely for complaints and whining.

Yet the white knights still run rampant.

What’s ironic in this case is that you comment every thread you see, bashing the game, the develeopers and the players who enjoy it.

Now, if you would grow up a little and get over the $50 you paid, you would un-install a game that bothers you and actually start playing something you enjoy.

Flytrap.8075

What’s ironic in this case is that you comment every thread you see, bashing the game, the develeopers and the players who enjoy it.

I don’t see it that way.

Anyway, you’re the one who labeled the forums as a place to complain

Fort Aspenwood | [Bags]

KOPPER.1458

I think we’ll see an expansion way before GW3. It does make me wonder about the LS though. Since China will never see season 1 what was the point? Nothing that meaningful could have possibly ever happened to the world. We’ve more or less been waiting for it to release there? What about the next release? etc. etc.

That thought process might be a little far fetched but I can’t help but feel that way about it.

Posted by: TheJokester.4672

TheJokester.4672

or you know find a job? it helps me it does when I just get tired of it I request more hours at work usually people are calling out and I just spend my time working rather than playing a game that’s still in beta

KOPPER.1458

I think it’s a bit rude to assume people don’t have jobs…

lordkrall.7241

or you know find a job? it helps me it does when I just get tired of it I request more hours at work usually people are calling out and I just spend my time working rather than playing a game that’s still in beta

And yet you still find the time to make pointless posts on the forums.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Flytrap.8075

And yet you still find the time to make pointless posts on the forums.

Isn’t technology great?

Fort Aspenwood | [Bags]

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

If GW3 is to be released, it won’t be better than GW2, rather have a different focus… they have an awesome engine already, throwing it out to use Unreal… meh.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Posted by: The Pointless.3869

The Pointless.3869

Why do I sense that whoever wrote that article was some random kid that doesn’t even realise what NCsoft is, or that NCsoft != ArenaNet? >_<

Skan.5301

1. GW2 was a commercial success wether your lovely opinion agrees to it or not. In fact, commercial success has nothing with the quality to do, it is about the media reaction and then we got the sales, everything else is nothibg but baseless, subjective opinions.

2. GW2 forums never were a place for the communiaty but merely for complaints and whining. Most people, active in GW2 forums include a popular names in teh community who have been hating since months, the value of the feedback in this specific forum is very little and it reflects nothing but some people and their ’’guilds’’/’’friends’’ who apparently seem to have the left the game because it is garbage, yet leave the game again with the new patch and then leave it again with a new patch…explaining this mystery is beyond my capability.

Whoa there, mate. Calm yourself. It’s honestly just a game. No need to get flustered. Seriously. Deep breath in, and deep breath out.

Are we good? Good.

First off, I never did say why that first line in the article made me laugh. Maybe it was because of a joke, or I personally know the writer, or something entirely different.
I also never said GW2 wasn’t a success. I know it was a success.

Now, you actually like GW2 and the various paths and twist that the game has taken. It’s fine. You see lordkrall is in the same boat as you. You have to show your support, which is fine. But not everyone has to follow your train of thought, like what you like, or even agree with you, no? It’s what makes humans. Free thought. The forums, as you stated, are for those complainers and whiners who want to bash the game.

Which leads to the question: ‘Why are you here?’ Shouldn’t you be playing the game you enjoy so much? And if you get so much enjoyment out of it, there’s no need to come on the forums.

If I was a developer, especially of this game, I would stick to the numbers that are on the game, and do things in game with my fellow masses because they’re the supporters, the ones who will follow around like loyal beings, finding no major fault in my creation, rather than the rogue and rebellious forum goers who actually have some valid complaints and suggestions.

Just for clarification, I’ve bolded certain words, so that the people who are currently buffing their armours and pulling out their tower shields won’t have any confusion while reading.

– Euripides

(edited by Skan.5301)

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

And that line is correct isn’kitten The game indeed is one of the biggest successes over the past twelve months.

Got any source for that “few”? Because I believe GW2 has a much larger playerbase than lots of other mmorpgs and games in general.

And yet the exact same people who were complaining at day one about the manifesto are still trolling the forums and can’t move on for some weird reason.

Posted by: stayBlind.7849

stayBlind.7849

And that line is correct isn’kitten The game indeed is one of the biggest successes over the past twelve months.

Got any source for that “few”? Because I believe GW2 has a much larger playerbase than lots of other mmorpgs and games in general.

And yet the exact same people who were complaining at day one about the manifesto are still trolling the forums and can’t move on for some weird reason.

I think that would depend on how you define ‘success’.

Justin Bieber is one of the biggest musical success’ in the past ten years.

Is GW2 a success financially? Yes.

Is GW2 a successful continuation of the GW franchise? IMO no.

Is GW2 more successful than GW1? IMO no.

Posted by: DiamondMeteor.8345

DiamondMeteor.8345

Honestly? I’m so deliriously happy that there ISN’T new content in the game for a while. It’s such a nice breather to just enjoy the game and not worry about being behind in some Living Story reward track or what not. Finally, I can sit back and enjoy the game.

Dunno’ if I’m a minority here, but I just feel like there’s so much I can do to refine my abilities as a player.

Ranger / Revenant – Crystal Desert

Posted by: NewTrain.7549

NewTrain.7549

So they implemented a TON of new features, did a ton of balance changes, completely modified their entire server infrastructure and shook the s/tPvP world upside down. They did this mostly as a result of, and I want to stress this, what they playerbase have ASKED them to do.

Wait wait wait. This is sarcastic, right? I mean, you can’t actually believe what you wrote. I want you to go into either the sPvP subforum or the balance subforum and tell them there was a ton of balance changes and that the s/tPvP world has been shaken. See what response you get. My money is on laughter.

Posted by: Zaoda.1653

Zaoda.1653

Still waiting on actual new content >_< I mean, how many more weeks are we going to go on with nothing new to do? Are Anet having a long vacation?

Would be nice to know when they’re coming back.

Forever a supporter of more male skimpy armor

Posted by: Vunter.6245

Vunter.6245

Apologies for being away from thread last several hours, busy with RL. I’m really enjoying everyone comments and staying on point.

Vunter.6245

I think many of you are right; we probably wont see anything new till after the china release. Also we probably won’t see any info; at this point their probably just going to spring the patch on us.

This thread was more a less a test to hear everyone’s concerns and comments; by the positive and at sometimes critical feedback it seems many are feeling similar to the way i am feeling. My other goal was to have the majority of our concerns heard and fielded by ANET, but i doubt this thread will receive any such treatment, although i expect 70% of threads to receive no such response.

Vunter.6245

Honestly? I’m so deliriously happy that there ISN’T new content in the game for a while. It’s such a nice breather to just enjoy the game and not worry about being behind in some Living Story reward track or what not. Finally, I can sit back and enjoy the game.

Dunno’ if I’m a minority here, but I just feel like there’s so much I can do to refine my abilities as a player.

I think this statement would be true if it were still LS season 1. Season 2 is “suppose” to be different in terms of cadence delivery what will part of each patch to prevent people from feeling left behind; because they have stated these things is why many of us have requested that they publish something to let us know to sit tight for “x” amount of time.

Posted by: sonicwhip.9052

sonicwhip.9052

I think this is how it should be. Instead of every 2 weeks we should have content updates just once every month. The current trend is far to buggy and unfinished. No mmo should do it this often. And also switch to permanent new content and completely abolish all temporary content please.

Vunter.6245

I think this is how it should be. Instead of every 2 weeks we should have content updates just once every month. The current trend is far to buggy and unfinished. No mmo should do it this often. And also switch to permanent new content and completely abolish all temporary content please.

That is what they sacrificed when implementing content in a 2 week cadence. I think Season 2 should be better in that respect. We shall see.

Skan.5301

I agree with the content coming out buggy and glitchy kind of deters from the play.

A test server of sorts would get help with bugs and glitches, but then again, since the content is so small, for lack of a better word, it would make doing it again for many players tedious after being on said test server.

Maybe i’ts just me that feels that way. I personally dislike redoing the LS content. For me, its because I know what the end reward is, and for me, it’s not worth doing on multiple characters. If there was a choice of various items that were worth it, I would.

– Euripides

Vunter.6245

I agree with the content coming out buggy and glitchy kind of deters from the play.

A test server of sorts would get help with bugs and glitches, but then again, since the content is so small, for lack of a better word, it would make doing it again for many players tedious after being on said test server.

Maybe i’ts just me that feels that way. I personally dislike redoing the LS content. For me, its because I know what the end reward is, and for me, it’s not worth doing on multiple characters. If there was a choice of various items that were worth it, I would.

I agree that the end rewards need to be better. Like LS specific armor and weapon skins. They have offered those in the past but only via gems. It would be cool if they made those rewards obtainable through LS objectives.

A test server is and would be a good idea, I do believe besides their internal testing they have test servers available to certain guilds. There is a process to get into these, not really sure how. If you were interested I would create a support ticket asking how; probably wont go very far, lol.

Skan.5301

A test server is and would be a good idea, I do believe besides their internal testing they have test servers available to certain guilds. There is a process to get into these, not really sure how. If you were interested I would create a support ticket asking how; probably wont go very far, lol.

I always thought that some people (Dulfy) had access to content before it was released. If there is a test server available for certain people or Guilds, then they need to reevaluate those that have access to it because they sure as kitten aren’t doing a good job most of the time.

I believe putting in a ticket on something like this may get you some generic response that may or may not be worth the time. If you want, feel free to, but I wouldn’t bother. It’s probably not something they want their player base to know about, since it’s akin to favouring certain individuals over the rest who are involved.

– Euripides

NewTrain.7549

I always thought that some people (Dulfy) had access to content before it was released. If there is a test server available for certain people or Guilds, then they need to reevaluate those that have access to it because they sure as kitten aren’t doing a good job most of the time.

There is a test server and there are players on it. Those players give lots of feedback (much of it critical). In one particular instance, a dev left the test server chat channel because everyone was “being overly critical of the content”. In many other instances the devs have accused the players who dislike content or changes of “not playing it right”.

It’s not the players’ fault, it’s the fault of the devs who ignore the feedback.

Vunter.6245

There is a test server and there are players on it. Those players give lots of feedback (much of it critical). In one particular instance, a dev left the test server chat channel because everyone was “being overly critical of the content”. In many other instances the devs have accused the players who dislike content or changes of “not playing it right”.

It’s not the players’ fault, it’s the fault of the devs who ignore the feedback.

I think giving constructive criticism is needed for any feedback be it game or RL. Having said that however devs are dictated how to respond to players from their prospective superiors; so it wouldn’t surprise me if a dev left a channel due to the nature of that statement

Posted by: Warlord.9074

Warlord.9074

I think most of their focus now is going to be re-balancing the game that they rebalanced.

“Just press 2 to win all the dps was us cuz we’re a
warrior and we’re the best class” Eugene

NewTrain.7549

I think giving constructive criticism is needed for any feedback be it game or RL. Having said that however devs are dictated how to respond to players from their prospective superiors; so it wouldn’t surprise me if a dev left a channel due to the nature of that statement

I can tell you with certainty much of the criticism was highly constructive and most followed the simple format of:
A) State problem
B) Explain why said problem is an issue
C) Give potential solution to said problem

I once saw a 6 paragraph post about the issues concerning WvW match-up/population imbalances with an ANet dev response that simply said “Nope”.

Vunter.6245

I can tell you with certainty much of the criticism was highly constructive and most followed the simple format of:
A) State problem
B) Explain why said problem is an issue
C) Give potential solution to said problem

I once saw a 6 paragraph post about the issues concerning WvW match-up/population imbalances with an ANet dev response that simply said “Nope”.

Ya i believe it, this game never had a very widely known test server environment.

Posted by: Recalibar.6482

Recalibar.6482

Seriously. I see this all the time. Even World of Warcraft didn’t have an expansion pack until three years after release. Developers don’t just release massive game changing stuff every two weeks.

Everyone just needs to calm down.

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

Look up what WoW added between release and the first expansion. Just google it. There is a wiki.

Compare it to GW2, than you might understand why people are upset.

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

we actually have living world. so we do get update often.

wow have raid though, kind of difficulty and time gate players. So that keep the pve players busy for quite a while.

Posted by: Immensus.9732

Immensus.9732

The problem clearly is that gw2 is not challenging and the content does not keep you busy for a while. yes wow didnt have expac for 3 years but the content that released was hard for back in the day and kept people busy long enough to not bother with having expac, plus if you remember well they were many people asking for more staff to be added in wow 2 years after its release

Mesmers Shall Rule Tyria!

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

Well the biggest problem I have with it is not just the lack of content it’s that this game was supposed to be B2P. So I expected it to mainly make money with game and expansions sales.

In order to do that you will need to release expansions more regular then games that for example make money with a cash-shop or subscription.

Sadly enough GW2 turned to generating income mainly with the cash-shop (making you wonder why you had to pay money for it in the first place).

So I would like to see them selling more expansions, so that would be there main source of income, and we would not have a game negatively effectedby a cash-shop focus.

And just to get your facts strait. Wow’s first expansions was released about 2 years later.. two years and 1,5 month to be exact. WotlK released 2 years after that (2 years – 1,5 month). Cata released 2 years after that and MoP released 2 years after that. Nice try but wiki has the answer.

Anyway, like I said this is a B2P game so I wanted an expansions sooner as that should be there main source of income so we did not need income based on the cash-shop. Sadly enough they throw that away and it’s now just a cash-shop focused game where expansions are not the main concern as it’s not a real source of income for them.

(edited by Devata.6589)

Posted by: MAD CAT.9321

MAD CAT.9321

I swear to god if there is one more living story instead of an expansion or adding SOMETHING new other than what should have been there in the first place, like ascended being account bound, wardrobe, free trait refunds. That’s not anything to get my panties wet over. That should have been there from the beginning. ADD A FOOKING EXPANSION ALREADY! STOP FOCUSING ON STUPID GEM STORE ITEMS!

Posted by: Hekdragoon.1972

Hekdragoon.1972

Why would they add more content if when they add it people don’t play it (TA Aether) and many others seem happy doing the same thing over and over (Queensdale Champ train), it’s easier for them to focus on the gemstore plus people keep buying things so they don’t have a real problem, people who want new content (a minority) have it.

I would like new content too, but if we don’t vote with our wallets they won’t do a kitten.

Posted by: Zenyatoo.4059

Zenyatoo.4059

Look up what WoW added between release and the first expansion. Just google it. There is a wiki.

Compare it to GW2, than you might understand why people are upset.

One only needs to look at the GW1 expansions to see the amount of content available to players.

If I played for the first month and came back now, 2 years later. What could I now do?

Fractals is new.
Teq is updated
Triple jungle wurm
New AC paths
Edge of the mists? I guess.
Maybe hunt a few new skins if I like any of them (and if theyre even available anymore)

Compare that to just the first expansion from GW1

2 new classes
New weapon types
Hundreds of new skills, many for the original classes too
entire new continent with something like 60 zones, 13 missions, etc
Alliances for guilds
2 “elite” 12 man missions
Alliance battles, faction in general
JQ and FA, 2 entirely new types of PvP
more quests than you could shake a stick at
Tons of new armor, including 15k armor sets available to all professions

Now, the cost for these things is different. Factions cost what, $60? And GW2 is technically free forever.

But the difference in amount of content for players who quit is staggering. Simply put, if anyone quits, they’ll rarely be compelled to return, because a good chunk of the content is entirely temporary. If I have a friend who tries another MMO, likes it, and comes back to GW after 2 months and says “hey anything new?” My response is most likely going to be “No, the new stuff is gone now, and if you came back you’d just be behind everyone else.”