Thoughts on Ascended Gear? [Merged threads]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Dynheart.5402

Dynheart.5402

So they added armor that is slightly better than exotic, who cares?! It gives us something else to do other than grind Orr for legendarys, thank you ArenaNet for making this change I think it gives many people another reason for wanting to do this dungeon, making armor look “cool” is just not cutting it anymore, what if you don’t necessarily love the look of the armor, your just not going to do the dungeon? That does not make sense, there needs to be another incentive for doing high level end content.
Quit crying and enjoy this amazing game called Guild Wars 2

I agree. But people would rather do nothing/be stuck with 1000hp/100stats (made up stats..you get the idea) for all eternity…just because it was like that in GW1.

GW2 is a totally different beast. It’s an actual MMO. Count how many MMO’s stuck to their original vision from launch? I’ve played 11 in my lifetime…none stuck to their guns. Some tried to, but failed. But these games evolve over time. It’s just how it is.

We wanted GW2 to be an MMO. We get all the pros, and the cons along with it. Enjoy the ride…or don’t.

Chrisiana Dynheart – Guardian
[FIRE] – Jade Quarry

Posted by: Erasculio.2914

Erasculio.2914

This is a massively big disappointment.

ArenaNet has always failed by trying to cater to everyone, ending with something that is not great to anyone, rather “meh” to everyone. This is just more of that – they tried to please all normal players, who were not interested in endless gear grind, and now they are adding a huge gear grind in order to please the grinders.

And don’t fool yourselves. This is almost the definition of a massive grind: an endless dungeon with randomized content (which is as shallow as it goes, considering how it’s impossible to make really randomized content that does not end looking purely generic) offering a better reward the longer you play (in other words, the deeper you go in the dungeon) and with the option to increase even more the grind based on infusion on the equipment it was already a huge grind to get.

Effects this will have in the game:

• Dungeons will become empty. There will be no point in playing them anymore, since no one is going to have all that work (which is already a design flaw – dungeons should have been fun, and given rewards without so much repetition, but the current design is trying to catter to normal players and to grinders, so we have to grind for skins, not for stats), in order to get items with subpar stats. No one is going to want those skins either, in order to be able to show people that you have ascended armor.
  • Elitism will become worse. There are multiple exotics in the game, so it would be pointless to try to judge what kind of armor a character is wearing based on looks. There is going to be a new ascendent armor, though, so even if there were 2 skins per kind of armor (medium, light and heavy), it’s going to be very easy to learn if someone has ascendent armor or not just based on looks. Since this armor is better, it would be easy to discriminate people based on who has the ascendent skin or not – which leads to more elitism, and to people wearing the ascendent skin regardless of if they like it or not. All the skin grind in the game becomes, then, worthless.
  • People who are not willing to grind will eventually begin leaving WvW, since they would feel like they are losing due to the enemy having better items. The mode will eventually become half empty, and then just die.

I think ArenaNet has just set a new records for how fast a company is willing to betray their own philosophy. I hope they realize how the kind of player they are trying to please – the traditional MMO grinders – will not be happy with this for long, and will soon leave back to WoW just as they have left every single other big MMO released recently.

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to
put another carrot in front of me” – Mike O’Brien right before Ascended weapons

Posted by: Grok Krog.9581

Grok Krog.9581

I know it’s only 3 days from releasing, but Anet, look at all the posts in here. Don’t make it a gear grind, that’s one reason why so many people love Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2, because you don’t have to gear grind, you play because you want to.

Grok Walking Amongst Mere Mortals

Posted by: Mjrnx.2483

Mjrnx.2483

Armour? It seems to be more like a new accessory type with upgrades similar to tuning stones. Calm down.

“Introducing Ascended items, artifacts of great power that can be improved by a special new type of upgrade called Infusions, which can be found in dungeons. Look for more information about Ascended gear soon!”

Amirn | Ele & Mesmer of #swaggate

Posted by: tkalamba.2541

tkalamba.2541

Read this https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/releases/november-2012/

Not a third party site. It makes it sound like Ascended gear revolves around the Karka… It says nothing about it being more powerful. Just says Infusions are gained through dungeons, plural, not singular, so any dungeon.

Lord Lefteris – Engineer [Sanctum of Rall]

Posted by: MrLee.6892

MrLee.6892

So they added armor that is slightly better than exotic, who cares?! It gives us something else to do other than grind Orr for legendarys, thank you ArenaNet for making this change I think it gives many people another reason for wanting to do this dungeon, making armor look “cool” is just not cutting it anymore, what if you don’t necessarily love the look of the armor, your just not going to do the dungeon? That does not make sense, there needs to be another incentive for doing high level end content.

QFT!! I am actually WANTING a gear grind again because level 80 is so kitten boring! So what is this new armor has a few stats better than exotic! Then we all have something to do again!

MMO’s are always changing! They are not supposed to stay the same over the next 5 years. If they introduce something new, then we are supposed to go work for it! Did you all expect to stay in the same gear thru out GW2 life span?!?!?

Cosmetic grind is not the answer for some of us, we want the gear grind! If Lost Shores is going to have stuff like this, then we will get the best of both worlds.
ArenaNet is catering to EVERYONE not just one specific player base!

And kitten, there is not enough info out there that is a 100% sure of what will happen. Maybe the stats on Legendary gear will now match the Ascended gear! WHO KNOWS? Just wait and find out!

Posted by: Lopez.7369

Lopez.7369

Awful. If it’s better stats outside of the dungeon, particulary in WvW, I’m calling it quits.

I’ll obviously wait for more information, but I’m so disappointed right now.

Posted by: TriggerSad.2597

TriggerSad.2597

Ascended back piece is ascended.
And a back piece.

Though I’d love to see if there’s more than just that!
Kind of hoping for it too, since that is one nice back piece!!

Attachments:

IGN: Despada
Guild: I Can Outtweet A Centaur [TWIT]
Twitter: https://twitter.com/TriggerSad

Posted by: piitb.7635

piitb.7635

Awful. If it’s better stats outside of the dungeon, particulary in WvW, I’m calling it quits.

I’ll obviously wait for more information, but I’m so disappointed right now.

It’s probably not going to affect WvW no more than legendary weapons do.

Posted by: Tyr.1965

Tyr.1965

It’s probably not going to affect WvW no more than legendary weapons do.

So ascended gear is just as rare as legendary weapons? lol

Posted by: Sky.9347

Sky.9347

They give you something to work towards and you all take a temper tantrum. Nice to see the kinda people i’m playing along with.
What if this was in at launch would any of you complained that there was an extra tier of gear? NO!!!!!!

If this was in at launch, then it wouldn’t have been considered a “treadmill”.

The problem is that this now creates a moving target for end game gear. How many times will it move? A great many people love GW and GW2 because there was a finite stat progression. This choice, granted we have very limited information, seems to present a complete reversal of that philosophy.

It hopefully is just a misunderstood concept, but based on what little we have now (which is their fault, not ours) this really feels like a betrayal… a bait & switch.

Sky – [tSA] – Stormbluff Isle
November 15, 2012 – The day a dream died.

MrLee.6892

I agree. But people would rather do nothing/be stuck with 1000hp/100stats (made up stats..you get the idea) for all eternity…just because it was like that in GW1.

GW2 is a totally different beast. It’s an actual MMO. Count how many MMO’s stuck to their original vision from launch? I’ve played 11 in my lifetime…none stuck to their guns. Some tried to, but failed. But these games evolve over time. It’s just how it is.

We wanted GW2 to be an MMO. We get all the pros, and the cons along with it. Enjoy the ride…or don’t.

Yes another person who gets it! GW2 is supposed to evolve!! Even though some people think this is ok.

This is an MMO! Things change good or bad. You have to accept it or leave. (And if you leave there isn’t one MMO out there that will have gear stay the same thru out it’s lifetime).

Posted by: Zinwrath.2049

Zinwrath.2049

While i agree this goes against a lot of what was pushed in the beginning, lets lay a few thoughts on the table.

Majority of complaints about this game was lack of end game and stuff to go after other than “grindendarys”. This has been the number one complain on the forums other than bug issues not sure how everyone forgot about this.

Also, the elitist types already are the main ones i group with in dungeons. Everytime i pug, people complain if your wearing magic find gear etc because you dont have the max optimal stats (this is the thing they accuse everyone of if the groups not doing well)…yet i’ve done most the dungeons with people with little to NO exotics when they first came out with friends….the stats help, they dont keep you out of content though…hell you can do most of them with lower level players with fewer traits/utilitys/mostly blues.

I am the only person in my guild now 3 months into the game bringing in over 50 people “many irl friends” that have all quit due to lack of progression or (end game). Which means something different to everyone..but essentially what they’re saying is …they want this. 1 out of 50 people were ok with the lack of this stuff…tbh, i dont beleive it’ll lock you out….i dont think it’ll take long to get…and biggest deal, have you ever ran a dungeon? have ANY of you ran a CURRENT dungeon? Everyone isnt playing these dungeons for fun…they’re freaking grinding em. You go in and its all “lets skip this…run past these…no magic find gear…only these professions..lfg Speed runs x dungeon!”. Point is the majority of players currently playing dungeons (which is mostly all i do anymore and its something i noticed) are only doing them cause they want the exotics….so when the majority of your players who are currently doing dungeons WANT a gear treadmill whether they realize it or not…and the majority of people quitting WANTED a gear treadmill……i dont think its a bad thing, it just has to be done intelligently and i beleive arenanet is gonna be very delicate in their handling of it.

All in all, i’m weirded out by this news…but realisticly i think its a very smart decision.

Posted by: Shifu.4321

Shifu.4321

I feel stuff like this should have been in an expansion. It would have given people more time to get their heads around the concept rather than 5 days before the update.

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

Ever since I read this in the morning, I havent logged in. I just found it difficult to log in knowing that any gear I obtain on my main might be replaced in a few days.

Going to log in now, on my alts I’d imagine, but I haven’t had the urge to log in and obtain some dungeon gear today just because of this.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Posted by: Sky.9347

Sky.9347

Yes another person who gets it! GW2 is supposed to evolve!! Even though some people think this is ok.

This is an MMO! Things change good or bad. You have to accept it or leave. (And if you leave there isn’t one MMO out there that will have gear stay the same thru out it’s lifetime).

Which is precisely WHY GW2 is such a big deal.

If they fail to do it too, then I guess guys like me just don’t play MMOs anymore.

Sky – [tSA] – Stormbluff Isle
November 15, 2012 – The day a dream died.

Posted by: sotkap.2045

sotkap.2045

Woah…so many ppl raging before the actual update…
Half of the ppl i’ve seen on Guild Wars 2 said that “no endgame,it’s boring,when you have your exotics you can’t do anything else,really easy to buy/craft,only grind for legendaries,easy dungeons….” and now that they introduce some new REALLY COOL stuff,the other half says “power creep,wtf gear grind,my exotics are now useless” etc etc etc…
Do you even know about game replayability?
Check here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Replay_value
Personally,i feel really happy about the new update.
It gives me a higher goal (new armor etc),new content,more fun and challenge.
Also..for those who say about paying $ for gems and stuff…
Noone forced you and you don’t pay a monthly fee..
That’s all from me…Be patient till the update…

P . M . A

Posted by: Velron.3729

Velron.3729

Just found out about this.

Wow.

So much for no gear treadmill. Incoming next tier of crap, less than 2.5 months in to game. How long till t3?

You promised no gear treadmill. You’ve just introduced one, thanks.

Fragg – Engineer | Lil Zek – Warrior PVP R43
[DA] Decisive Actions – Jade Quarry

Posted by: MajorMelchett.6042

MajorMelchett.6042

Ever since I read this in the morning, I havent logged in. I just found it difficult to log in knowing that any gear I obtain on my main might be replaced in a few days.

Going to log in now, on my alts I’d imagine, but I haven’t had the urge to log in and obtain some dungeon gear today just because of this.

Exactly the same, i was going after some more armor to make a new exotic beserker set (i just finished my knights set), but what’s the point when in a few days i maybe able to get even better stats – earning/buying them now would be a waste of time and effort.

Zilori: Guardian – Desolation.
Zarturo: Elemental – Desolation.

Tyr.1965

Why does the game have to evolve towards vertical progression when the game’s horizontal progression is the very thing that made it evolve past every other MMO on the market?

I swear the people defending this decision are probably the same crowd that cried on the WoW forums for change then jumped shipped to GW2 and are now crying for this game to become WoW. Stop ruining games with your flakiness.

Posted by: JAP.5714

JAP.5714

I really hope these “ascended” type of items don’t have better stats than Exotics. No gear treadmill is one of the major reasons why I kept playing gw1 for all these years and one of the major reasons I am playing gw2. If this is indeed the shape of things to come expect not a dime out of me for expansions and in the gem store.

Posted by: Tauril.8504

Tauril.8504

If Anet are already breaking their most sacred rule from GW1 this early after the launch of the game what can we expect in the future ?
It feels like a betrayal indeed, and if they do it once, there’s nothing preventing them from doing it again.

But since it just feels so obviously wrong from ArenaNet and I still trust them enough to think that they’re more intelligent than that and more respectful of their principles and philosophy, I hope this is more complex than just “moar powaaa !”.
The reference to “infusion” may not be a coincidence at all. Maybe just like how infusion in GW1 only affected our capacity to deal with Mursaats, infusion in GW2 will only be meant for a specific type of content. Since they say infusion can be found in dungeons maybe infusion are the thing that allow you to go deeper in this new infinite dungeon called Fractals of the Mists. And outside of this activity infusions have no influence.

Well, I hope it’s this…

Posted by: Thadren Calder.1397

Thadren Calder.1397

I’m going to have to agree with others in the regard that if this “better” gear is usable in WvW and creates an imbalance in any way I’ll have to quit since once a game starts the gear grind it won’t stop. If they do this once there is no reason to think it wont just keep happening and i’ll have to grind and grind and grind just to have the same experience in WvW as I have now with everyone having access to the same level of gear.

Posted by: Blacksarevok.8104

Blacksarevok.8104

Lol. Literally the only 2 reasons this game stands out from other MMO’s is that it’s f2p and has no gear grind. They are adding the gear grind already, so now we just wait for them add a sub and then it will be ToR 2.0.

Ascended gear aside though, it’s the profession/balance changes that are going to make or break this game for me next update. If I see a bunch of nerfs yet no buffs/fixes like I’ve seen the past 3 months, I’m done.

Posted by: tkalamba.2541

tkalamba.2541

Just found out about this.

Wow.

So much for no gear treadmill. Incoming next tier of crap, less than 2.5 months in to game. How long till t3?

You promised no gear treadmill. You’ve just introduced one, thanks.

Read this https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/releases/november-2012/

not the same as what those press releases say. Seems more like a back piece or accessory required to kill the Karka. The entire content release revolves around finding a way to kill them. Similar to how Ascended gear was required to kill the Mursaat.

Lord Lefteris – Engineer [Sanctum of Rall]

MrLee.6892

You play an MMO. MMO’s are about progression and additions. Stuff will change. If you haven’t figured this out by now, then I don’t think MMO’s are the type of game for you.

Tyr.1965

They give you something to work towards and you all take a temper tantrum. Nice to see the kinda people i’m playing along with.
What if this was in at launch would any of you complained that there was an extra tier of gear? NO!!!!!!

Actually we would because we don’t like vertical gear progression. Go back to Warcraft if that’s what you want.

Grow up and stop using the “Go back to Warcraft” crap. EVERY MMO uses vertical gear progression. At least I can’t think of one who doesn’t besides Guild Wars 2.

Just because YOU don’t like something doesn’t mean it shouldn’t exist. What about all the players who DO want it? Don’t you think they should have something they want also?

Maybe YOU shouldn’t play MMO’s?

Every OTHER MMO uses vertical gear progression so ArenaNet made an MMO that breaks that mold. Why does GW2 have to conform to your outdated definition of what an MMO should be? What about all the players who expressly support this game just because it breaks the mold??

Posted by: Daemonicon.3107

Daemonicon.3107

Also, the ‘gear grind’ is not due to ANET adding one new set of armor.

It comes from the elitist in the game, who will say “You can’t join because you don’t have the latest and greatest”

You know what you can do, if you don’t have the latest and greatest? Find someone who isn’t an elitist kitten.

The COMMUNITY is what makes or breaks a game. Act like a self-entitled, elitist community, and you will reap what you sow.

Let’s remember why we started playing, we like PLAYING GAMES.

Posted by: Magiofdeath.2745

Magiofdeath.2745

Relevant to topic – http://thesantadestroy.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/jump-to-conclusions-mat.jpg

Anyways, so from what I’m gathering, the majority of you are perfectly fine with a Korean MMO grind to get a weapon or armor that is NO better than one you can craft at lvl 400 of x crafting profession? Ok, so what about those that are ok with middle ground between American and Korean MMOs? By this I mean, offer items that have better stats beyond lvl 400 crafting exotics but don’t make us rely on 24 other people to get said better gear. Better than exotic gear via 5-man dungeon is perfectly acceptable. That being said, infused armor is not legendaries since legendaries pertain to weapons. I’m not sure what all the fuss is about.

In my opinion, if I work my butt off to get a bow that shoots rainbows and its no better than my exotic huntsman crafted bow? Yeah, that is not cool IMO. I would expect something else besides looks from all the work I just put into making a bow that shoots rainbows. I guess I am ok with the middle ground between both varieties of MMOs because I never played a Korean MMO that has similar gear grinds.

Oh yeah, I am fully aware that GW1 had gear grinds for some prestige armor but it wasn’t to the levels of grind that legendaries in this game have, so yes, I expect something that grindy to give me better stats. Obsidian armor in GW1 was a joke to get in comparison to getting a legendary. As far as I’m concerned, legendaries are for people that are ok with the grind and for elitist that when asked “what weapon is that?” they don’t answer you because you are below them since you don’t know what legendary it is or because you don’t have one (yes, this has happened where someone didn’t answer me with regards to what weapon it was).

Edited by moderator: post edited as it was breaking the rule of conduct for respectful posting

Fort Aspenwood | Kurzick ftw!

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Stephane Lo Presti

Previous

Stephane Lo Presti

Content Marketing Manager, French

Next

Hi everyone,

We’re going to publish a blogpost about the new ascended items on the Guild Wars 2 website. This should answer most of the community’s questions before the content is live this weekend.

Thanks for your patience!

Posted by: Webba.3071

Webba.3071

Actually we would because we don’t like vertical gear progression. Go back to Warcraft if that’s what you want.

Grow up and stop using the “Go back to Warcraft” crap. EVERY MMO uses vertical gear progression. At least I can’t think of one who doesn’t besides Guild Wars 2.

Just because YOU don’t like something doesn’t mean it shouldn’t exist. What about all the players who DO want it? Don’t you think they should have something they want also?

For those players there exists literally every other mmo other there. GW is DIFFERENT. If it ceases to be different then what is the point?

Dynheart.5402

I’m just gonna say it.

The whole no gear progression thing worked for GW1. It was a small game with a low level cap…very VERY pvp based.

That will not fly here. GW2 is already losing numbers; and will continue to. There is nothing to do at level 80! Playing dress up only goes so far.

A gear treadmill would be where you are constantly powering up your gear (look at traditional MMOs). If Anet employs this every 3-6 months…How in the heck is that a treadmill (upgrading your armor every 3-6 months…or what ever is NOT a treadmill..geez…and it’s mostly likely 1 set…not 10,000 like it would be for traditional MMOs)? For an actual gamer, that’s still slow as kitten. All the while, you’re still stuck at level 80.

This game will continue to lose more players if there’s isn’t anything to do on the PVE side of things. Right now, the end game is playing dress up…and I’m already done with that.

New skins? What if I don’t like them? Stuck waiting for the next batch.

[FIRE] – Jade Quarry

(edited by Dynheart.5402)

Posted by: The Last Jagaroth.1652

The Last Jagaroth.1652

Hi everyone,

We’re going to publish a blogpost about the new ascended items on the Guild Wars 2 website. This should answer most of the community’s questions before the content is live this weekend.

Thank you!

Look forward to reading it

Jag

Well, of course I’m being childish!
There’s no point being grown-up if you can’t be childish sometimes.
Tom Baker – 4th Doctor

Posted by: Tomac.7502

Tomac.7502

Hi everyone,

Hurray!

MrLee.6892

Why does the game have to evolve towards vertical progression when the game’s horizontal progression is the very thing that made it evolve past every other MMO on the market?

I swear the people defending this decision are probably the same crowd that cried on the WoW forums for change then jumped shipped to GW2 and are now crying for this game to become WoW. Stop ruining games with your flakiness.

Stop wanting the game to stay the same and never change. Go back to single player games if you don’t like it.

Posted by: TheOSC.7659

TheOSC.7659

I don’t like the idea of a gear treadmill but you guys are skipping over the biggest difference in GW2’s gear and WoW’s. WoW had varying qualities of “Epic” gear, in GW2 all Exotics are on par with each other. So basicly if A-net adds in this new tier of gear, and allow it to be the final peak of progression, then fine get your 1 time boost out of the way A-net and leave it alone. However if it grows past the Ascended tier and we start seeing new content with Ubers or Turbo Exotics or something like that I will probably put the game down and move over to something else.

Also I’m more disappointed in the lack of response with this much outcry than I am in the announcement it’s self. After only a few hours of this news we have a 15 page QQ thread and the only response from A-net is some kitten forum mod telling us to keep QQing it up while he sips coffee and laughs at our plight. Arena net WHAT ARE ASCENDED ITEMS, your player base deserves to know if you are boning them.

(Edit)
Apparently a few seconds before I got this posted a dev said that there would be a blog post so here’s to hoping! <3

Posted by: Silver Chopper.4506

Silver Chopper.4506

Well, by your own admission the players who want vertical gear progression have ALL the other MMOs on the market to choose from. Is that not enough?

cesmode.4257

You play an MMO. MMO’s are about progression and additions. Stuff will change. If you haven’t figured this out by now, then I don’t think MMO’s are the type of game for you.

Not this MMO. Not verticle progression. If I wanted a gear treadmill I’ll do it via raiding. Not by simple fact of purchasing gear.

Posted by: Koolthulu.9682

Koolthulu.9682

Now I’m glad I’ve been leveling alts instead of wasting time gearing my 80s.

I’m willing to wait and see what this is all really about, but if it does signal the start of a gear treadmill, then it is probably my time to leave.

And Anet doesn’t need to complain about the player reaction since it is completely their fault. They really need to get better on the communication side of things. This kind of stuff shouldn’t be announced on third party news sites with vague statements detailing how they think the new stuff may or may not work. Especially since it seems to be going against everything that the game was supposed to be about.

Posted by: Striker.7638

Striker.7638

Gear treadmill will equal many rage quits! Guildwars and GW2 were different because they didn’t have that drawn out, painful, gear grind… I hope your blog post will clear up the freak out the community is having!

Posted by: Vlad Morbius.1759

Vlad Morbius.1759

This is what happens when limited information is released to third parties before making your customer base aware of the thought process going forward. Rampant speculation is all that can be drawn on because the fan base have no clear facts and this causes undue stress to many players, myself included.
The old adage that even negative publicity is good publicity just doesn’t fit in the gaming industry because it spreads faster than the Risen population often leaving misconceptions that can never be countered or corrected long term. This title was misinterpreted as being a purely PvP game which lasted nearly to the release date and still holds true today for some, so in my opinion I highly encourage the release of some OFFICIAL information refuting the “gear grind theory” before this causes a similar misconception.
However if it is true that you are headed in this direction, shame on you for misleading so many people.

Vini, Vidi, Vici, Viridis…I came, I saw, I conquered…I got a green??

cesmode.4257

Hi everyone,

Thank you. I hope it is good news

Posted by: Ramontique.9852

Ramontique.9852

Ascended armor = bad move… this is like the first time that arena.net is adding new items instead of modifying existing ones. Think about the upgrade slots being added to “older” armors in GW1. Bad move I say! At least make it possible to transmute existing armor into ascended armor…

Posted by: Erasculio.2914

Erasculio.2914

Grinding is assuming you are no better than a horse chasing a carrot dangling from a stick in front of its face. Doing content you do not enjoy and in which you do not have fun just because it gives a shiny reward in the end is the same as lowering yourself to the level of a mindless animal.

I don’t know why so many players, who love traditional MMOs, fall for it. GW2 was being different in that it was dealing with their players as human beings. It appears players don’t want to be treated as human beings and instead see themselves more as mindless animals, but I’m still surprised that ArenaNet changed its mind so soon.

Grinding is bad. It’s bad design, and the fact it sells – or used to sell, considering how almost all recent MMOs have failed – doesn’t change how it’s bad design.

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to
put another carrot in front of me” – Mike O’Brien right before Ascended weapons

Posted by: ASB.4295

ASB.4295

The reference to “infusion” may not be a coincidence at all. Maybe just like how infusion in GW1 only affected our capacity to deal with Mursaats,

It doesn’t have to have anything to do with the Mursaat. The term infusion could’ve been just used to describe a mechanic that is similar to that of what we did with our armor sets in GW1 to fight the Mursaat.
If they add armor that is only more effective against foes of X type, but doesn’t give any kind of statistical advantage for the rest of the game, it might work. After all, the “Shards of the Mist” and “Ascended Armor” sound a lot like the dungeon’s theme will somehow be human god related.

(edited by ASB.4295)

Dynheart.5402

Not this MMO. Not verticle progression. If I wanted a gear treadmill I’ll do it via raiding. Not by simple fact of purchasing gear.

With that logic, why have gear at all?

This game is too big to not have something to do at level 80. Reward your level 80’s eventually. Playing barbie will only go so far.

[FIRE] – Jade Quarry

MrLee.6892

Also, the ‘gear grind’ is not due to ANET adding one new set of armor.

It comes from the elitist in the game, who will say “You can’t join because you don’t have the latest and greatest”

You know what you can do, if you don’t have the latest and greatest? Find someone who isn’t an elitist kitten.

The COMMUNITY is what makes or breaks a game. Act like a self-entitled, elitist community, and you will reap what you sow.

Let’s remember why we started playing, we like PLAYING GAMES.

I personally have never even had this happen on my server. Nobody can really see what I am wearing. (Can’t inspect me!) And i’ve done explorable dungeons in blues! Not one person acted this way.

I swear just because another MMO has this happen, people think it happens every where!

Posted by: Profanity.8016

Profanity.8016

Amazing how many people are demanding a refund and quitting the game because of some incorrectly translated article from Europe. Arena net hasn’t said a word about this gear yet, and ur already calling them liars and uninstalling the game…

Patience children. If this is anything like gw1, you would know there is nothing to worry about. This wont be a new tier of armor, and wont make your current gear or even legendaries obsolete.
SO CHILL OUT!

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

We want no gear treadmills in this game. We were promised that.

Now let’s just wait for that blog post and stop bickering about the subject. If on the other hand you want to justly complain about such scare tactics from ArenaNet, feel free :o

Posted by: Rei.2610

Rei.2610

I’m just gonna say it.

The whole no gear progression thing worked for GW1. It was a small game with a low level cap…very VERY pvp based.

That will not fly here. GW2 is already losing numbers; and will continue to. There is nothing to do at level 80! Playing dress up only goes so far.

A gear treadmill would be where you are constantly powering up your gear (look at traditional MMOs). If Anet employs this every 3-6 months…How in the heck is that a treadmill (upgrading your armor every 3-6 months…or what ever is NOT a treadmill..geez)? For an actual gamer, that’s still slow as kitten. All the while, you’re still stuck at level 80.

This game will continue to lose more players if there’s isn’t anything to do on the PVE side of things. Right now, the end game is playing dress up…and I’m already done with that.

New skins? What if I don’t like them? Stuck waiting for the next batch.

For an actual gamer like me. I play lots of other games. Devoting months of play time to keep up with a gear curb is a nightmare for me. It becomes a job. During gw1 there were years of time I didn’t spend playing, but I could always pick the game back up and be with the best of the best. I didn’t have to grind badge gear so I can be told I needed t10 to do a t9 raid.

I gave up on ever crafting a Legendary. Best decision ever.