Thoughts on Ascended Gear? [Merged threads]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

PLEASE Arenanet stop this crap, create an endgame for us, we love the game but we are getting bored! Creating another gear tier like a wow wannabe IS NOT going to help! This isn’t wow, this is gw2! Bloody act like it! We want a stronger / better pvp! Not more lousy pve, we got ENOUGH PVE! Stop giving us more! We don’t want it! Give us pvp updates! PVP is where the endgame should be!

Stop the “we”. You’re not speaking for me. I am not getting bored. I don’t care about PvP. I want more PvE.

But I agree about the gear grind. That is just horrible, and I really hope the fan sites misunderstood ANet about that and it’s only cosmetic…

Posted by: Leiloni.7951

Leiloni.7951

This should pretty much close the thread. Did you really expect, in all realness, no change in gear stats, ever?

Well considering that’s what ANet promised, yes.

Stop the “we”. You’re not speaking for me. I am not getting bored.

I agree with you. There is so much stuff to do in this game, I will be occupied for a long time. No gear grind needed. I can play just for fun which is what a game should be, and there’s plenty of fun to be had for all types of players in this game.

Posted by: suppenkasper.5371

suppenkasper.5371

If there will be gear that is even 1 stat point better than exotic gear is currently, ANET has broke with a major promise they made and that will put ANET in a very bad light for me forever. Will ofc stop playing GW2 as a result aswell. Sad to read those things really really sad.

Posted by: bcbully.7289

bcbully.7289

I don’t like this idea, either. The main reason why I’m playing gw2 instead of mop is that all max gears have identical stats.

I do. I fully support this move.

bcbully.7289

If there will be gear that is even 1 stat point better than exotic gear is currently, ANET has broke with a major promise they made and that will put ANET in a very bad light for me forever. Will ofc stop playing GW2 as a result aswell. Sad to read those things really really sad.

Get over it. Your not the only one who plays this game. Thank you Anet for listening to your community!

Posted by: Darknass.1903

Darknass.1903

I believe I read somewhere that the gear will only be better within the dungeon itself and function as a normal piece of gear outside of the dungeon. (if I can find the post I will edit this)

HoD – Ranger, Ele, Guard, Engie.

“The best defense is a strong offense.”

Posted by: Crater.1625

Crater.1625

This should pretty much close the thread. Did you really expect, in all realness, no change in gear stats, ever?

I’ll quote myself from a page or two back, with some added emphasis:

The max-stat weapons that I found in Guild Wars 1 on April 25, 2005, during the early-access headstart event, before the game even technically officially launched, are still equipped on my characters on November 12, 2012, and are still exactly as powerful as the absolute best equipment that you can get in the game, after seven and a half years, and three expansions.

So yes, I thought that having Exotic weapons in Guild Wars 2 would be ‘safe’ from gear inflation, less than three months later.

Posted by: Sansarah.3076

Sansarah.3076

Stop the “we”. You’re not speaking for me. I am not getting bored. I don’t care about PvP. I want more PvE.

But I agree about the gear grind. That is just horrible, and I really hope the fan sites misunderstood ANet about that and it’s only cosmetic…

Yeah okey, fair enough. I’m not speaking for you. But this game isn’t mainly about pve, like wow.

Posted by: HTXL.2598

HTXL.2598

They also promised an end-game experience throughout the entire gameplay, well?

Leiloni.7951

What I don’t understand is why a Dev hasn’t burst into this thread to set us all straight. If this new gear was indeed not better statistically than it would be easy enough to just come here and say it. So clearly it is and they feel the need to “explain the reasoning” in a blog post because a short paragraph in a thread post would not be long enough to make us all feel better. Although I have doubts this blog post will, either.

Posted by: alcopaul.2156

alcopaul.2156

Get over it. Your not the only one who plays this game. Thank you Anet for listening to your community!

Conversely, you’re not the only one who plays this game too.

Leiloni.7951

Well, what? I have no problems with the leveling experience and the content offered there. You have DE’s, you have crafting, you have world exploration, you have WvW, you have dungeons. All of that is also available at 80. Goal achieved as far as I can tell.

Posted by: uncleb.5267

uncleb.5267

exactly, if you signed up for karate and a 3 months down the line they told me they switched the format to ballet, I’m sure most would be peeved.

Posted by: Loic.4367

Loic.4367

I believe I read somewhere that the gear will only be better within the dungeon itself and function as a normal piece of gear outside of the dungeon. (if I can find the post I will edit this)

Man, I hope so.

Anyway, the only item we’ve been treated to has been what seems to be a back item. What this might be is not so much a new class of armor for all types, but specific items that by themselves are a significant contributor to your stats (much like how amulets work now). Maybe it’ll only be back items? I’d actually be down with that.

Attachments:

Posted by: Aelelan.1639

Aelelan.1639

You people are really stupid. Even if ascended gear has better stats, it’s something to work toward. You cry about not having anything to do at 80, and then that legendaries aren’t worth it because you only get slightly better stats – and now you’re crying over this? Most people don’t even buy level 80 weapons, and use 78 because the stats trade off vs value isn’t significant.

If you really want nothing to do, then go play a single player game. MMO is meant to evolve and introduce new things… even if they are new items with better stats, there’s got to be a reason for it. Have any of you morons considered that ANet is typically applying and changing things in RESPONSE to the community – as in you kitten asked for it, and that’s why it’s coming. They are changing acquisition of legendaries because people had a difficult time with it. They adjusted and nerfed professions as required. Do you idiots seriously think they’re just going to go and “ruin” everything they’ve spent so much time on setting up?

It shouldn’t hurt to use your head. And until anything official with official stats on these items are released, you idiots shouldn’t jump the gun. It’s kittens like you all that ruin games in the long run.

This has nothing to do with WOW or any other MMO. If you can’t progress, you’ll just go and do something else – lots of people stopped playing after hitting 80 – and even more complained how easy it was to get max everything. So stop being hypocritical and show some support – they’ve been listening to us so far, they’re not gonna drop something that’ll annihilate all the work they’ve put in.

My hero!!

If this far into the game they’ve decided to venture into turning one of the game’s core principles on its head, what does this mean for the future? I’m not saying it’s bad thing to do so, what I AM saying is that it shows we’re dealing with a company that is more disposed to rethinking their original design philosophies. Whether that is a good or bad thing is up to interpretation, but I can tell you that it at least shows a willingness to experiment rarely seen in a genre as costly as MMOs.

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

That’s even worse. LFG for dungeon, must have ascended armor…

Posted by: munkiman.3068

munkiman.3068

That would be a frame of mind thing. They would often be wrong if a person doesn’t feel that way ever. Anyone can say anything about gameplay experiences (or any experience) and be completely wrong to another.

[TAO] Founder/Owner and Administrator for the NSP Server Website

Posted by: phooka.4295

phooka.4295

What I don’t understand is why a Dev hasn’t burst into this thread to set us all straight. If this new gear was indeed not better statistically than it would be easy enough to just come here and say it. So clearly it is and they feel the need to “explain the reasoning” in a blog post because a short paragraph in a thread post would not be long enough to make us all feel better. Although I have doubts this blog post will, either.

I guess the reasoning is “let the whiner whine, we’ll keep the WoWer that way and that’s worth it.”

Call me alienated.

They basically said that their promises and my expectations combined are worth less than the gear-crybabies that can’t enjoy a game without a carrot on a stick. Well, should a treadmill-free game emerge, I’m gone.

HTXL.2598

Well, what? I have no problems with the leveling experience and the content offered there.

Well, obviously there are people here that agree they have failed to deliver on this concept.

Posted by: Eveningstar.6940

Eveningstar.6940

exactly, if you signed up for karate and a 3 months down the line they told me they switched the format to ballet, I’m sure most would be peeved.

The argument is that this class apparently has 2 million people, some of whom happen to love ballet, and are overjoyed by this announcement, and furthermore, think you’re being selfish because every successful martial arts class prior has always pivoted toward ballet in the end.

Pivoted? Pirouetted.

Valerie Cross: Roleplayer, Writer, Tarnished Coast

A Beginner’s Guide to Guardians

Posted by: Trickyg.8752

Trickyg.8752

lol terrible analogy… that doesn’t even work

Leiloni.7951

That’s no different from WoW – need certain gear to play the dungeon optimally, or at all in some cases. So again, this is bad and breaks a huge promise.

Posted by: souldonkey.9534

souldonkey.9534

Yeah, but how do you think you would fare if you decided you liked, say, the vabbi set and then decided to go back and fight mursaat with your new vabbi armor before infusing it?

Vabbian armour is an entirely cosmetic change with no statistical benefits compared to my existing armour, which I still have and I can still wear if I want to, for whatever reason, go fight some Mursaat without bothering to Infuse – and I won’t be any less powerful than if I did go through with Infusing the Vabbian armour.

That’s a pretty bad example, anyway. Infusion in general was a bad mechanic in Guild Wars 1, and you’ll notice that ArenaNet never went back and replicated it or made anything similar in later expansions.

Ok, so if you like the vabbian armor better why would you keep the armor set you have? To fill up bank space? When I played GW1 my bank was full and I had 2 mule characters just for holding the rest of my crap. And I had one armor set.

And what? It was a bad mechanic that they never revisited? Did you even play any of the other campaigns? They literally had it in every one. Closer to the Stars in Factions, and Lightbringer track for damaging margonites in Nightfall.

bcbully.7289

LF1M must have 4/6 Ascended

Posted by: tkalamba.2541

tkalamba.2541

LF1M must have 4/6 Ascended

It wont be a complete set of armour, likely back pieces, a few accesories, and maybe a hat.

Lord Lefteris – Engineer [Sanctum of Rall]

Leiloni.7951

Well, what? I have no problems with the leveling experience and the content offered there.

Well, obviously there are people here that agree they have failed to deliver on this concept.

They didn’t, though. There was a Dev video chat, maybe it was on Twitch.tv I forget. But they explained quite clearly what they intended this endgame to be and it is exactly as they stated in that video. No broken promises. Players that are unhappy are the ones that hoped it would be something else. But ANet did actually deliver on that promise, whether you like it or not.

Posted by: Ardrea.7045

Ardrea.7045

I don’t think there should be any gear more powerful than exotics, and there should not ever be a gating of any future PvE content on new gear; that’s just a designer’s crutch. They can do better than this.

I’ll wait and see what their blog-post explanation will be, but unless it’s fully consistent with what they’ve said was their design philosophy before, I’ll be very disappointed.

Posted by: Crapgame.6519

Crapgame.6519

Anything that changes +1 to a item (regardless if it is armor, accessories, food, or weapons) gives an advantage to the person wearing it.

It now is a issue of those who have +1 vs. those who don’t. Those that don’t either will work toward having it, stay status quo, or get bored and leave because they don’t want to partake in the climb.

Think about this (although how many years apart, but it gives you the idea anyway).

Wow original level cap was 60. Spinal Reaper was a 2 handed axe. 203 – 305 damage, 74.7 dps. Item level 76…

Wow today has a 2 handed axe, 14525 – 21788 damage. 5043 dps. Item level 509…

Sort of stupid that is how it ends up over time with stat inflation

Main – Laaz Rocket – Guardian (Ehmry Bay)
Johnny Johnny – Ranger (Ehmry Bay)
Hárvey Wallbanger – Alt Warrior (Ehmry Bay)

uncleb.5267

lol terrible analogy… that doesn’t even work

your right slightly exaggerated but I feel like I’ve been sold a bill of goods and maybe down the line I would be standing there in my tu tu

Posted by: Uorya.6593

Uorya.6593

Yeah apparently we were suppose to be experiencing end-game throughout the entire leveling process, but I must be the only one that feels let down in the department.

No, not the only one.

There’s a reason why the games population is lowering. Nothing to do at level 80 was one. sPVP was two. WvW being called “casual” by a dev was three.

But it seems people want nothing to do at level 80 it seems. Run around with a 100% unlocked map. Full upgraded gear for the duration of the games lifespan. You’ll max out your crafts…then what?

Eek.

Adding more content without grind? 2vs2 vs3 arenas? duels? gvg?
Do you really think that adding more nerding things is the way?
Lowering population? LOL 4 server on medium and the rest all full/high, kitten please..

Posted by: souldonkey.9534

souldonkey.9534

How’s that worse? That’s just like Prophecies endgame. Or Factions (must be Weh no Suh) or NF (must have Lightbringer R3 minimum).

Posted by: Italyguy.4128

Italyguy.4128

Why can’t you guys wait for clarification before you start whining and moaning? You make the community seem like a bunch of spoiled brats.

bcbully.7289

Sorry, some of you are delusional.

RPGs thrive on progression, and horizontal progression gets old quick.

Exactly. Good move Anet!

Posted by: Norb.4253

Norb.4253

GG Arenanet, your game is now RUINED.

You can skip the blog post, I won’t read it. I don’t need “details” or “facts” to know in my heart that this decision has single handedly made this game a WoW clone. I trust my gut and my gut tells me that not only is it time for lunch, but GW2 is now ruined forever.

Foreeeeeeeever!

HTXL.2598

Yeah apparently we were suppose to be experiencing end-game throughout the entire leveling process, but I must be the only one that feels let down in the department.

No, not the only one.

There’s a reason why the games population is lowering. Nothing to do at level 80 was one. sPVP was two. WvW being called “casual” by a dev was three.

But it seems people want nothing to do at level 80 it seems. Run around with a 100% unlocked map. Full upgraded gear for the duration of the games lifespan. You’ll max out your crafts…then what?

Eek.

Lowering population? LOL 4 server on medium and the rest all full/high, kitten please..

Hm. They can also lower the standard at which they measure population. Who would have thought?

Posted by: Sabo.1485

Sabo.1485

Why can’t you guys wait for clarification before you start whining and moaning? You make the community seem like a bunch of spoiled brats.

Quoting for emphasis, because people are panicking and don’t even know what they’re panicking over yet.

Finnegan Bhaird – Human Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Darknass.1903

Darknass.1903

How’s that worse? That’s just like Prophecies endgame. Or Factions (must be Weh no Suh) or NF (must have Lightbringer R3 minimum).

This, also If they literally intended for absolutely no gear grinding, they would have started you with max armor, and the only thing you would need to do is find a set you like to looks of.

HoD – Ranger, Ele, Guard, Engie.

“The best defense is a strong offense.”

uncleb.5267

Forum: or message board, is an online discussion site where people can hold conversations in the form of posted messages.

bcbully.7289

This, also If they literally intended for absolutely no gear grinding, they would have started you with max armor, and the only thing you would need to do is find a set you like to looks of.

That wasn’t my quote btw… scroll up.

Posted by: Eveningstar.6940

Eveningstar.6940

Quoting for emphasis, because people are panicking and don’t even know what they’re panicking over yet.

This. How did we hit 1,000 replies through pure speculation and anxiety?

Valerie Cross: Roleplayer, Writer, Tarnished Coast

A Beginner’s Guide to Guardians

Posted by: Crater.1625

Crater.1625

Ok, so if you like the vabbian armor better why would you keep the armor set you have? To fill up bank space? When I played GW1 my bank was full and I had 2 mule characters just for holding the rest of my crap. And I had one armor set.

And what? It was a bad mechanic that they never revisited? Did you even play any of the other campaigns? They literally had it in every one. Closer to the Stars in Factions, and Lightbringer track for damaging margonites in Nightfall.

I’d keep it because my old armour was another Elite set that I liked with another Superior Vigor rune so why would I flush all that away? More to the point, if I loved my new armour and hated my old armour, maybe I’d keep it just so that I couldn’t have to waste a bunch of time farting around with re-infusing a new set of armour just in case I happened to go play in an area with more Mursaat – which, you know, kind of throws a wrench into the argument that Infusion as a mechanic was totally fine and not a bad idea at all.

Re: The later factions, you’re right: I forgot that Nightfall had all of those awful title tracks that just made you stronger versus certain enemies without adding any sort of interesting mechanic. Call it something like a repressed memory, after dealing with how terrible a design decision they were. And now that you’ve brought it all flooding back, Nightfall also had parts where you had to just sit there and grind enemies by the dozens to earn enough Sunspear points to advance the plot – so let’s go ahead and say that Nightfall had some serious blunders in it.
However, having said that, none of the Lightbringer-esque mechanics had anything to do with equipment. As terrible as they were, my pre-launch weapons are still the best you could have to do that particular content with.

You’re wrong about Closer to the Stars in Factions, though. That was almost entirely contained within the game’s plot, and did not just arbitrarily make your character more powerful, or really different in any way.
And everything it did was 100% unrelated to equipment, needless to say.

HTXL.2598

They didn’t, though. There was a Dev video chat, maybe it was on Twitch.tv I forget. But they explained quite clearly what they intended this endgame to be and it is exactly as they stated in that video. No broken promises. Players that are unhappy are the ones that hoped it would be something else. But ANet did actually deliver on that promise, whether you like it or not.

That’s interesting, especially in light of the rumors of the new gear. I mean what would cause them to change their minds?! Gradual decline, perhaps?

Posted by: SilverShadow.3021

SilverShadow.3021

Yes, because this is a guild wars game and it was promised that there’s no gear progression. It seems like that you’ve never played GW1. To be serious I don’t care about all those WoW/… players that want gear progression; please quit the game.

Arenanet, if this is true, I’m very disappointed.
It’s really sad but this would be a reason to quit for me. However I still have hope; I’m a loyal fan since 2005.

Posted by: Uorya.6593

Uorya.6593

No, not the only one.

Eek.

Hm. They can also lower the standard at which they measure population. Who would have thought?

i don’t think it works that way, think all the game that needed merges server cuz they all went on low population

Posted by: Sniser.1297

Sniser.1297

My 2 cents its I like the change but only if its not a big increase on stats. if I want to skip this “tier” I can still be useful in the next dungeon

Posted by: Rage The Numbers.7943

Rage The Numbers.7943

We got a new level 80 zone that isn’t Risen. Why can’t everyone be happy about that?

Rage The Nornynorn – Guild Leader [RR] Reddit Refugees
Sanctum of Rall
http://www.reddit.com/r/Reddit_Refugees – Visit the site for Recruitment!

uncleb.5267

This. How did we hit 1,000 replies through pure speculation and anxiety?

not sure but you jumped right in with the rest of us!

HTXL.2598

No, not the only one.

Eek.

i don’t think it works that way, think all the game that needed merges server cuz they all went on low population

Okay, let’s pretend that LA has Overflow as much as it used to.

Posted by: Synthesis.6709

Synthesis.6709

So now we have to run this one dungeon over and over and over to get superior gear?

What about crafting?
What about WvWvW badge exchange?
What about karma exchange?

I can only deal with crummy PvE mechanics for so long. If this is the direction GW2 wants to go (WoW clone #14) then at least tell us straight so we can get started with MMOs that actually do PvE well.

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

Closer to the Stars was purely a story line component. The only thing it technically did was allow Factions characters to class change like Ascended did and like, wait what did Nightfall chars needed to unlock class change which required you to be Ascended or Closer to the Stars to do in the other factions ? Just visit the new rebel hideout. They didn’t even say to you why it unlocked class change somehow.

The Lightbringer title was just that, a title you could equip which in my opinion was far far less of a pain than infusing new armor sets.