Thoughts on Ascended Gear? [Merged threads]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: fleegle.1942

fleegle.1942

I think it is wholly possible that the Ascended will be specific to the new dungeon, plus with new dungeon and it’s paths, it allows Anet to constantly expand on it. This would make sense with the statement saying the armor would allow Anet to keep throwing harder challenges at players

Posted by: QSatu.1586

QSatu.1586

We got a new level 80 zone that isn’t Risen. Why can’t everyone be happy about that?

QFT. This patch seems massive and yet we are here complaining that the world is ending. just like before Halloween.

Posted by: Leiloni.7951

Leiloni.7951

They better hurry with that blog post.

Posted by: HTXL.2598

HTXL.2598

Most of us are in support of the upcoming update, just a small minority complaining.

Posted by: Daboris.6730

Daboris.6730

Well as soon as they debunk the rumor of higher tiers with their tiny, well-placed, buzz-inducing statement, everyone crying will stop crying.

I wouldn’t be surprised if you logged in one day and found a slot for bracelets or slots like elbow pads (add spikes that glow golden when you swing) or something.

People still forget backpieces have no exotic, jewelry has a barrier to entry involving crafting, and exotics are mainly obtained through crafting and dungeon tokens.

I love how 21 pages of grief occurred over a small statement that has people question ANet, as if they don’t know what they’re doing or what they said. Density level of people: over 9000. Density level of me: 8999.

Every person thinks they know what’s best or “breaking a promise” is the worst thing ever. If ANet promised there would be no jumping and then one day implemented it, if that’s enough to make you leave a game you aren’t playing for fun…

All the “if they do it, I’m out” posts are ridiculous as you don’t know how it will be presented or effect your fun status; all you have to go on is past games. Shut the front door and wait a few hours.

“Those dolls they were making underground… Did you think they look like me?”
-Vivi

Posted by: Eveningstar.6940

Eveningstar.6940

They better hurry with that blog post.

Don’t expect it for a little while yet.

Valerie Cross: Roleplayer, Writer, Tarnished Coast

A Beginner’s Guide to Guardians

Posted by: krookie.6378

krookie.6378

I believe I read somewhere that the gear will only be better within the dungeon itself and function as a normal piece of gear outside of the dungeon. (if I can find the post I will edit this)

That’s even worse. LFG for dungeon, must have ascended armor…

How’s that worse? That’s just like Prophecies endgame. Or Factions (must be Weh no Suh) or NF (must have Lightbringer R3 minimum).

That’s a bit different though.

Weh no Su was awarded after completing a certain mission in the campaign. It was also required because it allowed you to enter certain end-game locations that would not be accessible. otherwise

You can solo grind for Lightbringer. Also, I may be wrong since I haven’t done that campaign in a long time but I believe that you get R3 by just simply finishing the campaign.

Either way, it’s not the same as requiring certain gear to participate in an instance.

Posted by: Crapgame.6519

Crapgame.6519

They probably found out rather quickly that they screwed the pooch if they added any sort of progression based gear. Judging by how fast this page is spinning I’m sure they are trying to find Obama’s spin doctor…

Main – Laaz Rocket – Guardian (Ehmry Bay)
Johnny Johnny – Ranger (Ehmry Bay)
Hárvey Wallbanger – Alt Warrior (Ehmry Bay)

Posted by: ChairGraveyard.2967

ChairGraveyard.2967

We got a new level 80 zone that isn’t Risen. Why can’t everyone be happy about that?

This isn’t hard to understand. They sold people specifically on the idea of an MMO without gear grind, and now they’re adding it.

When you market something to people heavily saying you’re never going to have a gear grind in GW2, and then they go and start adding one shortly after release, it’s small wonder people are ticked off.

Posted by: Jestunhi.7429

Jestunhi.7429

Yeah apparently we were suppose to be experiencing end-game throughout the entire leveling process, but I must be the only one that feels let down in the department.

No, not the only one.

There’s a reason why the games population is lowering. Nothing to do at level 80 was one. sPVP was two. WvW being called “casual” by a dev was three.

But it seems people want nothing to do at level 80 it seems. Run around with a 100% unlocked map. Full upgraded gear for the duration of the games lifespan. You’ll max out your crafts…then what?

Eek.

Adding more content without grind? 2vs2 vs3 arenas? duels? gvg?
Do you really think that adding more nerding things is the way?
Lowering population? LOL 4 server on medium and the rest all full/high, kitten please..

Hm. They can also lower the standard at which they measure population. Who would have thought?

i don’t think it works that way, think all the game that needed merges server cuz they all went on low population

Okay, let’s pretend that LA has Overflow as much as it used to.

Because it’s fine to claim that they have lowered the server pop cap to make servers look full, but suggesting they have increased the max concurrent players in a single zone is madness.

MADNESS!

SoE have finally been knocked off the top spot
in the list of developers I have the least faith & trust in.
Congratulations ArenaNet!

Posted by: Erasculio.2914

Erasculio.2914

Most of us are in support of the upcoming update, just a small minority complaining.

Most of us are against the upcoming update, just a small minority defending it.

See how pointless that is?

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to
put another carrot in front of me” – Mike O’Brien right before Ascended weapons

Posted by: GADefence.5634

GADefence.5634

“We got a new level 80 zone that isn’t Risen. Why can’t everyone be happy about that?”

It’s funny that people are saying this. Orr and farming the Risen didn’t kill the game for everyone – look at how many pages there are over how upset people are over this.

Crapgame.6519

Like peeing in the wind

Posted by: mosselyn.5081

mosselyn.5081

Count me among the disappointed. No quitting, no raging, just…disappointed.

I am sick to death of repetitive gear grinds in MMOs and was hoping GW2 would avoid it. I didn’t think they’d be able to entirely avoid it in the long run, but it’s very depressing to see it happening so soon after launch. Even if it is a modest increase, from my perspective, it’s still the camel getting his nose into the tent.

[OTG] The Old Timers Guild of Yaks Bend
www.oldtimersguild.com

Posted by: munkiman.3068

munkiman.3068

I believe I read somewhere that the gear will only be better within the dungeon itself and function as a normal piece of gear outside of the dungeon. (if I can find the post I will edit this)

How’s that worse? That’s just like Prophecies endgame. Or Factions (must be Weh no Suh) or NF (must have Lightbringer R3 minimum).

Weh no Su was awarded after completing a certain mission in the campaign. It was also required because it allowed you to enter certain locations that would not be accessible.

You can solo grind for Lightbringer. Also, I may be wrong since I haven’t done that campaign in a long time but I believe that you get R3 by just simply finishing the campaign.

Either way, it’s not the same as requiring certain gear participate in an instance.

DOA pretty much all groups required R10 LB for groups at a certain point. It was basically the same as having armor/weapon boosters for specific bad guys. It took a good long while to get also, much longer than infusion against Mursaat…

[TAO] Founder/Owner and Administrator for the NSP Server Website

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

My 2 cents its I like the change but only if its not a big increase on stats. if I want to skip this “tier” I can still be useful in the next dungeon

1% increase in the first 3 months, then another increase by 2% in the second three months… By the end of the year, you’ll see an even bigger increase, and after 3 years, if you took a break, you’ll have to work hard to get your character up to scratch again. Which in GW1 never ever was the case.

And I started playing GW2 with that in mind: Exotics was the highest you could go for. You could work for that. And after that, you could work for that awesome skin to put on your exotic armour.

Posted by: Agien.9834

Agien.9834

You people saying that groups are not going to let people in with out ascended armor sound silly to me.

Right now if you invite a person you have not played with into a group tell me how can you tell if they are in white gear or exotic?
Looks? I can use stones to make white gear look exotic (I don’t think this would ever happen lol) and exotic gear to look like white gear.
Damage? I don’t know about you but I cant tell what any 1 person is doing for damage less we are both soloing the same kind of mob and our kill times are totally different. But hey in group content that dose not happen very often.
How long they stay alive? I said earlier I did Arah exp mode in greens and did better then even I expected. Sorry to say but slightly better gear is not going to save you if you are a bad player so we can rule that 1 out.
HP? Cant see people’s HP numbers only a bar and even if you could who is to say you are not just built with lower HP needs in mind.

Well I guess the answer as far as I can see is there is no way to tell unless you personally know them and or have seen them get it yourself.

MMORPG grow and change. It keeps the game fresh and interesting and with change come new options and ways to play. I am all for it with in reason and this is reasonable.

See my earlier post for how I view this actual change.

Crapgame.6519

If they are adding a gear progression then yes, I think people will say that is bad and be it for them. I’d be in that boat.

There are those who like the idea.

Just what the overall population is, hard to tell. I personally like the idea of logging on, doing other things, then logging back in and being able to enter WvWvW with no disadvantage at all.

Posted by: souldonkey.9534

souldonkey.9534

Ok, so if you like the vabbian armor better why would you keep the armor set you have? To fill up bank space? When I played GW1 my bank was full and I had 2 mule characters just for holding the rest of my crap. And I had one armor set.

And what? It was a bad mechanic that they never revisited? Did you even play any of the other campaigns? They literally had it in every one. Closer to the Stars in Factions, and Lightbringer track for damaging margonites in Nightfall.

I’d keep it because my old armour was another Elite set that I liked with another Superior Vigor rune so why would I flush all that away? More to the point, if I loved my new armour and hated my old armour, maybe I’d keep it just so that I couldn’t have to waste a bunch of time farting around with re-infusing a new set of armour just in case I happened to go play in an area with more Mursaat – which, you know, kind of throws a wrench into the argument that Infusion as a mechanic was totally fine and not a bad idea at all.

Re: The later factions, you’re right: I forgot that Nightfall had all of those awful title tracks that just made you stronger versus certain enemies without adding any sort of interesting mechanic. Call it something like a repressed memory, after dealing with how terrible a design decision they were. And now that you’ve brought it all flooding back, Nightfall also had parts where you had to just sit there and grind enemies by the dozens to earn enough Sunspear points to advance the plot – so let’s go ahead and say that Nightfall had some serious blunders in it.
However, having said that, none of the Lightbringer-esque mechanics had anything to do with equipment. As terrible as they were, my pre-launch weapons are still the best you could have to do that particular content with.

You’re wrong about Closer to the Stars in Factions, though. That was almost entirely contained within the game’s plot, and did not just arbitrarily make your character more powerful, or really different in any way.
And everything it did was 100% unrelated to equipment, needless to say.

You couldn’t fight Shiro without becoming closer to the stars. It was literally not possible. Yes it was a part of progressing the story line, but guess what, so was Infusion. Weh no Suh is literally meant to make you able to see Shiro, thus being able to fight him. So no. You’re wrong about that. And as for your argument about Infusion or Nightfall’s mechanics being bad well, as the Dude says, “That’s like, your opinion man.”

GW1 gets praised as the holy grail of MMOs (even though it’s not an MMO, but that’s a different argument) in these forums all the time yet, when I make a comparison about how a feature that you don’t like about GW2 is very similar to a feature that was in GW1, suddenly the tables have turned? Interesting…

Posted by: HTXL.2598

HTXL.2598

Yeah apparently we were suppose to be experiencing end-game throughout the entire leveling process, but I must be the only one that feels let down in the department.

No, not the only one.

There’s a reason why the games population is lowering. Nothing to do at level 80 was one. sPVP was two. WvW being called “casual” by a dev was three.

But it seems people want nothing to do at level 80 it seems. Run around with a 100% unlocked map. Full upgraded gear for the duration of the games lifespan. You’ll max out your crafts…then what?

Eek.

Adding more content without grind? 2vs2 vs3 arenas? duels? gvg?
Do you really think that adding more nerding things is the way?
Lowering population? LOL 4 server on medium and the rest all full/high, kitten please..

Hm. They can also lower the standard at which they measure population. Who would have thought?

i don’t think it works that way, think all the game that needed merges server cuz they all went on low population

Okay, let’s pretend that LA has Overflow as much as it used to.

Because it’s fine to claim that they have lowered the server pop cap to make servers look full, but suggesting they have increased the max concurrent players in a single zone is madness.

MADNESS!

No, the madness is the reaction in this thread.

Edit: Oh yeah, I’m not quitting, regardless of what the update entails. I’m pretty open-minded.

Posted by: uncleb.5267

uncleb.5267

I am sick to death of repetitive gear grinds in MMOs and was hoping GW2 would avoid it. I didn’t think they’d be able to entirely avoid it in the long run, but it’s very depressing to see it happening so soon after launch. Even if it is a modest increase, from my perspective, it’s still the camel getting his nose into the tent.

oh no we’re on to political references..

Posted by: Darknass.1903

Darknass.1903

“We got a new level 80 zone that isn’t Risen. Why can’t everyone be happy about that?”

It’s funny that people are saying this. Orr and farming the Risen didn’t kill the game for everyone – look at how many pages there are over how upset people are over this.

If you look there are A LOT of repeat posters arguing with eachother, and I’d like to just point out that the complaining usually drowns out the compliments only because the complainers feel compelled to come on to the forums and whine, while the majority of the happy players are more then likely playing the game.

HoD – Ranger, Ele, Guard, Engie.

“The best defense is a strong offense.”

Posted by: Daboris.6730

Daboris.6730

And to those thinking it will add a “Need 3/5 whatever, PST”…that’s already around for some people.

I’ve seen “LF full level 80 group for AC Expo” or “Full exotic group”, etc. I’m not saying it wouldn’t create more distance, but people who do this are already around, and it’s sound to do it as skills are what bring the kills; as long as you know how, you can use them and allow your party to push forward. A level 35 is just as geared, if not more, as proven, as if the high levels feared lower level intrusion…

Anyone still crying and relying on a small statement without the clarifying replacement provided by the blog post will most likely find themself at a loss in a few hours.

Word.

“Those dolls they were making underground… Did you think they look like me?”
-Vivi

Posted by: souldonkey.9534

souldonkey.9534

Weh no Su was awarded after completing a certain mission in the campaign. It was also required because it allowed you to enter certain end-game locations that would not be accessible. otherwise

Either way, it’s not the same as requiring certain gear to participate in an instance.

Wait, how is that different?

He’s saying this will become a “LFM, must be ascended” scenario. In GW1 you could get runs to areas you weren’t supposed to be without getting infused. Yes, you couldn’t progress in Factions unless you were Weh no Suh, but how is that different than not being able to progress here?

You can’t progress in Factions unless you’re Weh no Suh.
You can’t progress in the new dungeon unless you’re ascended.

At least in this case it only deals with 1 dungeon, not half the friggin’ game.

Posted by: Corvindi.5734

Corvindi.5734

If the gear is dungeon only it’s horrible. I have no intention of grinding dungeons for gear, especially in a game with no dungeon finder, and I have no intention of getting stomped by PVE Kings in WvW who are wearing gear I can’t get from doing PVP.

I’ll keep playing Guild Wars 2 until it’s not fun anymore, rolling alts, wandering around, jumping in WvW, but I don’t see myself spending more money for character slots, bank slots, or expansions. Not the way things are going.

“…we don’t expect you to be forced into dungeons at endgame.”

~ArenaNet

Crapgame.6519

“And I started playing GW2 with that in mind: Exotics was the highest you could go for. You could work for that. And after that, you could work for that awesome skin to put on your exotic armour.”

Yup. And if you wanted to buy level 78 exotics or found them while leveling up, guess what? They are better in most cases than level 80 Rares…

Now isn’t that ironic. Your level 78 exotics are better than level 80 rares which would allow your investment to last a little longer. Now that is a smart game design while you figure out what you wanted next…

Rather than cookie cutter steps doing A to get B, then do C to get D, etc.

Posted by: oZii.2864

oZii.2864

Why are you disappointed over information you don’t have all the details exactly whats wrong with the forums smh.

Question are you still running around in whites at your current level? I bet the answer is no. So you treadmilled anyway just on a very forgiving slope and it was during story or whatever you did. 1-80 is a tread mill 1 being the lowest 80 the highest peek I have to state this obvious fact that you have forgotten obviously.

[Good Fights]Sinndicate{Ele}Sinactic{Engineer}
Sinnastor{Warrior}Sinnacle{Mesmer}Sintacs
{Thief}

krookie.6378

DOA pretty much all groups required R10 LB for groups at a certain point. It was basically the same as having armor/weapon boosters for specific bad guys. It took a good long while to get also, much longer than infusion against Mursaat…

The major difference that you could solo for Lightbringer. Besides, DOA was probably one of the hardest areas of the game, so it’s understandable why some people would require R10. Although it wasn’t really necessary and most areas of DOA could even be soloed with a proper hero team.

It’s still a bit different that what that person was implying if this new gear is only obtainable through a dungeon grind. It’ll be similar to WoW’s gearscore requirements to run heroics.

Posted by: Storm of the Ages.9076

Storm of the Ages.9076

I just bought new exotic gear and used my dungeon tokens -.- Why does Anet want me to be eternally poor??

Posted by: azurrei.5691

azurrei.5691

Anything that changes +1 to a item (regardless if it is armor, accessories, food, or weapons) gives an advantage to the person wearing it.

It now is a issue of those who have +1 vs. those who don’t. Those that don’t either will work toward having it, stay status quo, or get bored and leave because they don’t want to partake in the climb.

Think about this (although how many years apart, but it gives you the idea anyway).

Wow original level cap was 60. Spinal Reaper was a 2 handed axe. 203 – 305 damage, 74.7 dps. Item level 76…

Wow today has a 2 handed axe, 14525 – 21788 damage. 5043 dps. Item level 509…

Sort of stupid that is how it ends up over time with stat inflation

Technically, you are correct. I’m curious as to why people don’t get all fed up with the fact that also, technically, legendaries like Twilight are 1% more powerful than a similar exotic in regards to weapon damage…perhaps because the bottom stats are in fact equal to exotics and sub-optimal unless you want soldier’s stats on a weapon.

Posted by: Walker.2184

Walker.2184

I’m really not sure that the “power creep” whiners have thought this through. Of course they were going to add new armor to the game. W/O a doubt 100%. This isn’t the end I suspect. Do you not think they are going to add “Legendary Armor”?

so suck it up and apply some common sense before you whine.

Less QQ and more pew pew

Posted by: Gehenna.3625

Gehenna.3625

You people saying that groups are not going to let people in with out ascended armor sound silly to me.

Right now if you invite a person you have not played with into a group tell me how can you tell if they are in white gear or exotic?

Guess you haven’t played many games.

They can ask you to link your gear in team chat for example. Trust me, people will find ways.

It’s a game forum. The truth is not to be found here.

Posted by: phooka.4295

phooka.4295

I’m curious as to why people don’t get all fed up with the fact that also, technically, legendaries like Twilight are 1% more powerful than a similar exotic in regards to weapon damage…

Because exotics are 0% better statwise.

Posted by: bcbully.7289

bcbully.7289

Exactly.

krookie.6378

Wait, how is that different?

He’s saying this will become a “LFM, must be ascended” scenario. In GW1 you could get runs to areas you weren’t supposed to be without getting infused. Yes, you couldn’t progress in Factions unless you were Weh no Suh, but how is that different than not being able to progress here?

At least in this case it only deals with 1 dungeon, not half the friggin’ game.

You’re not ascended like you were in GW1. You have ascended gear. That’s the difference.

In Prophesies you needed to be ascended in order to enter certain areas like the Underworld.

What bcbully is implying is similar to how WoW works with gearscore.

Posted by: hoeppy.4567

hoeppy.4567

P.S. In my opinion eventually the current exotic gear will be replaced with better gear. We will see new crafting recopies we will see new dungeon gear we will see new event gear. It allows for harder content and new ways to play. If that really angers people to the point they have to quit the game maybe an MMORPG is not right for you…

“harder content” is not made by bigger numbers. You make things difficult by new and difficult mechanics. Item treadmills are things for subscription based MMOs, not for free to play games.
Furthermore, new item tiers reduce the content you have at “endgame” since the usual MMO Bob follows the carrot on the stick, which is gear.

This entire situation reminds me of the “New Game Enhancement” (16.11.05) for “Star Wars Galaxies” which pretty much destroyed everything that most people loved, just to make it more appealing for the WoW crowd.

Erasculio.2914

Uh… You have not played Factions, have you? You became Weh no Suh during the middle of the storyline. The fight against Shiro was at the end of the storyline. You could not play the storyline out of order.

Ergo, it’s the same thing as claiming that, in GW2, you can’t progress to join an order unless you have done your first story arc. You cannot reach the point in the story in which you join an order if you have not done the previous story arcs before.

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

“And I started playing GW2 with that in mind: Exotics was the highest you could go for. You could work for that. And after that, you could work for that awesome skin to put on your exotic armour.”

Yup. And if you wanted to buy level 78 exotics or found them while leveling up, guess what? They are better in most cases than level 80 Rares…

Now isn’t that ironic. Your level 78 exotics are better than level 80 rares which would allow your investment to last a little longer. Now that is a smart game design while you figure out what you wanted next…

Rather than cookie cutter steps doing A to get B, then do C to get D, etc.

Wouldn’t know, never had any exotic drop for me.

But in GW1, you also had weapons that were less powerful compares to others with the same level requirement. But that’s not the problem, because you know that you can get a weapon that is the most powerful with the highest level requirement.

Now, if this is true, that the Ascended armour is more powerful than Exotics, we don’t have that certainty anymore. It’s not so much that it is more powerful, but more that they said there wouldn’t be more powerful stuff (no vertical progression).

Posted by: phooka.4295

phooka.4295

Exactly.

Then the two of you bought a game despite something to the contrary being explicitly promised.

Even if you want gear-progression, a game.studio breking its promises so quickly should worry you.

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

1st time….Paid advantages…this was side-stepped by calling them “conveniences”. The level of advantage is/was irrelevant. It’s the fact that they said there wouldn’t be any, but in time they were added.

Convinience items != power.

Is there anything in the cash shop that would effect the result of a duel between 2 otherwise equally geared, specced & skilled level 80’s?

Armor booster, strength booster, rejuvenation booster, speed boosters, etc are all available via BLCs. They are minimal 5%, but that is besides the point as well as not being in pvp is besides the point. The point is they are there when we were told they wouldn’t.

Serenity now~Insanity later

Posted by: Humposaurus.5764

Humposaurus.5764

So this means that the current dungeon gear will be useless? Wow there are gonna be ALOT more deserted dungeons after this…

Posted by: Uorya.6593

Uorya.6593

problem is, i f i stop playing for 2 months for any reasons my character was always good for pvp if they will put gear progression it will not

Posted by: Leiloni.7951

Leiloni.7951

I’m curious as to why people don’t get all fed up with the fact that also, technically, legendaries like Twilight are 1% more powerful than a similar exotic in regards to weapon damage…perhaps because the bottom stats are in fact equal to exotics and sub-optimal unless you want soldier’s stats on a weapon.

That’s incorrect. In game legendaries all have the same stats as exotics.

Edit: Here I found a screenshot for you – those database sites are not up to date.
http://media-ascalon.cursecdn.com/attachments/2/66/634874412029010433.jpg

(edited by Leiloni.7951)

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

Exactly.

Re-read through this entire thread that consists of close to 900 posts. I think you’ll find that the people in favor are the minority.

Blind assumptions…

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Posted by: Synthesis.6709

Synthesis.6709

So this means that the current dungeon gear will be useless? Wow there are gonna be ALOT more deserted dungeons after this…

It’s the WoW syndrome that even Blizzard hasn’t been able to fix. Every upcoming tier makes the one before obsolete.

Erasculio.2914

Exactly.

Re-read through this entire thread that consists of close to 900 posts. I think you’ll find that the people in favor are the minority.

Blind assumptions…

I think it’s more a lack of counter arguments than blind assumptions, to be honest. There are few ways to claim that this is not a bad thing without outing yourself as a player looking for one more WoW clone.

Posted by: Angry Tom.4068

Angry Tom.4068

1st time….Paid advantages…this was side-stepped by calling them “conveniences”. The level of advantage is/was irrelevant. It’s the fact that they said there wouldn’t be any, but in time they were added.

Convinience items != power.

Is there anything in the cash shop that would effect the result of a duel between 2 otherwise equally geared, specced & skilled level 80’s?

Armor booster, strength booster, rejuvenation booster, speed boosters, etc are all available via BLCs. They are minimal 5%, but that is besides the point as well as not being in pvp is besides the point. The point is they are there when we were told they wouldn’t.

Their lack of use in PvP situations, WvW, sPvP, Hot Join, is precisely the point. In PvE, it doesn’t matter that a random internet stranger is using their Regen, Armor, and Strength boosts. What advantage do they have over someone not using them? The might kill things faster but that doesn’t really impact anyone.

Posted by: bcbully.7289

bcbully.7289

Exactly.

Blind assumptions…

This is what the game needs. Anet Please do not listen to the vocal minority of “Hardcore Casuals.”

Posted by: Slayer.8423

Slayer.8423

Yes, I know there is a Thread already about the Ascended Gear and people are all going to scream out their concerns and hopes there, but I just want those people who say that Ascended Gear will ruin the game and they are so disappointed about it to understand something about the gear (new and old) and my voice will never be heard in that thread.

When you first turned level 80, I’m pretty sure you didn’t have any exotics and few or no rares too. Dungeons were a little harder to do with the lower tiered gear, but still doable. Nobody was excluding you from dungeons just because of your gear. Or any other content because of your gear. Nor was good gear required to do anything in the game. Over time there was/is a mix of players, lower level, max level, low tiered gear, and exotic gear. But still, nobody was excluded from anything nor were you forced to get better gear for something. WvW was a little harder without your Exotic gear, but it didn’t make a huge difference.

Point is, gear always made a slight difference, but it didn’t decide anything. So with the introduction of Ascended Gear, it’s not going to be any different then how it was before. Now there is just going to be something else to work towards, which is good for the survival of the game. There is not going to be any new or different grind that wasn’t already present. There is not going to be a gear treadmill and nobody is going to be forced to get this gear to be able to participate in something or be effective in combat. So please calm down people, and for one, you haven’t even seen this update and how the new gear will play out. If it truly turns out to your disliking, then by all means, do as you wish about it.

Crapgame.6519

azurrei.5691

“Technically, you are correct. I’m curious as to why people don’t get all fed up with the fact that also, technically, legendaries like Twilight are 1% more powerful than a similar exotic in regards to weapon damage…perhaps because the bottom stats are in fact equal to exotics and sub-optimal unless you want soldier’s stats on a weapon.”

I don’t know really. Honestly this is all speculation on our part until we see what they blog. I believe we all agree on that at least. However, I for one as I’ve stated like the idea of a basic gear quality and stat base. It is something you can tweak via runes and accessories. Once you are done, that is it. Outside of some food or as you state legendary that is it.

All is more or less the same. Go on vacation and you are back in the game no worse for wear. Other games that isn’t really the case.

Like I said – I don’t know if it is a game breaker. The game has to progress to keep people interested. Is this enough? Is the list of 80 things to do after hitting 80 enough? No idea.

I like what I have played so far and continue to play. I’m only 1 person though and not paying Arena Net’s bills. I do know I’m personally not a fan of NCsoft games. Especially after playing Aion…