Thoughts on Ascended Gear? [Merged threads]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Sky.9347

Sky.9347

Where’s the “vertical progression” in GW2 then?

You have to level from 1 to 80, which either takes dozens and dozens of hours or requires you to bypass it all through sheer force of bank account by crafting your way there. You need to upgrade to Exotic equipment once you hit 80 – plus runes, sigils, etc – which, at a very conservative estimate of 1.5g per piece, runs you at least 20-30g.

That’s way more vertical progression than I’d like as it is. I can tolerate it only knowing that once you do that, it ends, and you can finally actually just play.

Add to this fact that I choose to do this with one of each profession, and you can see why I feel like there is a lot riding on the answer to this question.

Sky – [tSA] – Stormbluff Isle
November 15, 2012 – The day a dream died.

Posted by: nachtnebel.9168

nachtnebel.9168

Still no official response yet

Its a shame that so many people are upset, a simple “no, these items will not be stronger than exotics” would calm the masses. I initially got the impression that Arenanet would be more communicative with the playerbase, but whenever I see the Arenanet logo on the forum, its just some manager closing the thread because the “question was answered

They already said that they would be more powerful. What more of an explanation do you need?

Look you don’t have to go for ascended gear if you don’t want to.

Perhaps that half the information got lost and the full sentence should have been: “they are more powerful than exotics, but can only be used in the new dungeon and nowhere else.”

Salix Babylonica (Necro), Tharnath (Guardian), N Faculty (Mesmer),
Occam Pi (Ele), Acaena Elongata (Warrior), Finja Salversdotir (Ranger),
Bytestream (Engineer), Vim Whitespace (Thief)

Posted by: Vena.8436

Vena.8436

The thing is, every possible indicator shows that more people have left the game than are playing. The need people to play and buy from the cash shop, that is if you want an expansion. Progression helps them do this.

Every possible indicator? None of which exist in any objective sense anywhere on the internet? Who the heck were the people playing all but two weeks ago that caused tens of overflows in LA, MKL? Ghosts?

Vena/Var – Guardian/Thief
[Eon] – Blackgate

Sky.9347

well, the same forum that QQ about the lack of stuffs to do at lvl 80 now QQ about Anet adding more stuffs to do at lvl 80. The same forum also QQ about the lack of " PROGRESSION" now QQ about Anet adding progression.

I think the introduction of the new armor type is good .This will make “I-got-exotics-already-now-i-have-no-goal-or-motivation-to-play” people stays longer.

New goal and New motivation, I like the sound of it.

The vast majority of us were in game playing because we liked no vertical climbs of pointlessness.

The thing is, every possible indicator shows that more people have left the game than are playing. The need people to play and buy from the cash shop, that is if you want an expansion. Progression helps them do this.

No, they need to get to a stable player base (one that agrees with their vision), and then determine how to operate within that revenue.

LoL doesn’t have more people than WoW playing it, but who cares because it freakin’ rocks all on it’s own.

Posted by: Solori.6025

Solori.6025

Just for comparison.

Look at the game Champions Online. They eventually introduced gear stat mods that scaled up in ranks, up to 9 or so, and to get past 5-6 was a huge pain/grind/money sink. The stat difference was INSANELY SMALL however wasn’t even close to being required to do anything. It was there for someone people who feel like sinking money/time into it as a goal.

The rest of the game was cosmetic.

In CO you didnt need gear for pve you needed a build that worked to the maximum efficiency.
To pvp you needed gear and the build to even be competitive. ( yes you needed r6+)

Trying to compare CO to GW is like trying to compare a 5 star hotel to a garbage can with a bed in it.
It doesnt work.
CO is a crap game.
Lets try comparing GW to something with a little bit of success, so we can actually have an accurate measure between the two.

/rant

The world needs more KUNG FURY!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS5P_LAqiVg

Posted by: chasingfuries.9635

chasingfuries.9635

and when you have all you want/need? running them a lot to get your different stat setups is something that will also come to an end. imo it looks like this new thing will be an optional addition for people that want something to continually work towards

I play alts, so chances are my saved tokens will still be useful. Even so, I don’t run them that often so I won’t be facing that situation any time soon.

I don’t care so much about a stat that only affects one dungeon (though it does go against the “skill vs. gear” mantra Anet professed to have). I do care about things that affect everything else.

Gear treadmills are lazy and exploitive design. I’m sorry most people can’t seem to see that, and I’m not sure why they came to the one MMO out there without them, only to then demand them. You should read this article when you get the chance; its’ well written and it lays out how manipulative these systems are.

oh yeah ive read that article before lol. i understand what gear grinds are, and that they’re not really true content, but the fact is they work regardless, and they do keep a certain type of gamer interested (and happy.. it’s true, some people do enjoy the progression even when they’re not blind about it and understand what it actually is)

on a somewhat unrelated note, what i hope is that they change wvw to put everyone on equal footing, rather than letting it be a place for the geared to stomp ungeared/lowbies. if this change was added then i dont see why there’d be any problem at all

Posted by: owaine.7513

owaine.7513

I’m with Cracked on this one. Adding my voice to the ‘oh no they didn’t’ column. Loved the lack of gear grind in GW1, was one of the best things about it. I trust Anet and hope this is handled appropriately, but I’m mildly concerned and keeping an eye on it.

Posted by: Evee.2714

Evee.2714

right….“millions of people on your side”

The grind-for-stats World of Warcraft still has more people playing than this so-called “grind-for-appearance” game.

that is the inconvenient truth fanboys don’t want to see. lol

then they can go play WoW, this is a different game

they advertised it differently than WoW

If you want WoW go play WoW or one of it’s clones, leave this game alone

Evee of the Relics of Orr Podcast on the youtubez and twitch. See us at relicsoforr.com

Posted by: Crater.1625

Crater.1625

Add to this fact that I choose to do this with one of each profession, and you can see why I feel like there is a lot riding on the answer to this question.

Yeah, agreed. There have been so many times I’ve said to myself, “I wonder if it would be fun if I played a [x] and then tried to do a [y] build…” and then realized that I would be looking at close to a hundred hours, if not more, of slogging through the level and the equipment grind to be able to actually properly use that character, and most of the time I just don’t even bother trying, and go back to my existing characters.

Posted by: Fiddlestyx.9714

Fiddlestyx.9714

Why are people even crying over this issue? Full Exotic gear still makes you MORE than capable of doing 99% of the content in the game (besides the end of this new dungeon). The people crying right now have no idea if they will be easy to get and I’m willing to bet there will be a “chance” to get ascended gear in every dungeon chest now which will go with what Anet said on fixing dungeon rewards. I’m happily looking forward to it now. (time to actually kill Khoeler in AC)

We aren’t upset about having to get one more set of gear. We are upset about what this represents (if true) and that’s having to get a new set every few months (grind).

This game was advertised to not be a grind and it is slowly turning into one.

If anyone wants to play a “grindy” game, they have many to choose from. Anet sold THIS game as something for the rest of us that don’t want to play those other games.

(edited by Fiddlestyx.9714)

Posted by: bcbully.7289

bcbully.7289

well, the same forum that QQ about the lack of stuffs to do at lvl 80 now QQ about Anet adding more stuffs to do at lvl 80. The same forum also QQ about the lack of " PROGRESSION" now QQ about Anet adding progression.

I think the introduction of the new armor type is good .This will make “I-got-exotics-already-now-i-have-no-goal-or-motivation-to-play” people stays longer.

The vast majority of us were in game playing because we liked no vertical climbs of pointlessness.

No, they need to get to a stable player base (one that agrees with their vision), and then determine how to operate within that revenue.

LoL doesn’t have more people than WoW playing it, but who cares because it freakin’ rocks all on it’s own.

A yes it does… LoL has way more than WoW…. LoL is the most played pc game there is…

Posted by: Dzoni.1082

Dzoni.1082

First thing to say is that i am all, radicaly and openly against any form of ‘hamster wheel’ mechanic of progression in RPG, let alone in MMORPG (one of them being an ‘gear progression’). It breaks immersion (whoever plays table-top RPGs, knows what im talking about), encourages elitism, splits the community and makes the game second job, which it shouldnt be. This very thing is why i stopped to take MMORPS for serious sub-genre of PC-RPGs. Despite what many says about gear progression, generally it is a bad and awfull thing.

This all being said, in my opinion, many people here are overreacting and making a conclusions about things not yet even certain. I can only ask from people to put some objective ideas and opinions about this. Arena.net need to see the negative feedback about any bad design desicion or something that goes against their “Manifesto” (which is a good marketing right from the start to be honest, but again, is about design philosophy they built a game upon).

Surelly “I will not like any sort of adding Hamster-wheel progression because not having it is what made this game unique in the first place and this very feature will make me cancel my account and move on.”
… is far better than “Oh, maaan, i am done with this game, kitten this, refunding even now before i dont know anything about this”

Sky.9347

A yes it does… LoL has way more than WoW…. LoL is the most played pc game there is…

Okay well maybe you’re right I admit I didn’t check because it really isn’t relevant to my point.

Different games are different. There are a lot of gamers, with a lot of money to spend on game crap.

Posted by: Dogblaster.6713

Dogblaster.6713

Half of you are the typical 2012 MMO players that whine when it’s too hard like this should be a sideways console game that gives you everything. The other half is like hell ya bring on real progression. Either way the devs can’t win.

Personally, put more true vertical progression in the game and give it more depth. More depth= good game. more casual=more console/cash shop genre.

Most of all, focus more on PvP because that’s what will get noticed in the esports world if that is truly what Anet claimed they want for the game. PvP has been largely ignored since launch.

I would say I am more eperienced and skilled player than you are. Infact I have 900+ hours played in GW 2, about 200+ explorable runs and about 400+ gold spent. I also have about 600 days played in World of Warcraft from vanilla WoW and dont let me count the other mmorpgs I ve played in last 10 years.

And I am AGAINST vertical progression in GW 2. Not because Its hard (I would be among the first who would complete it anyways) but because Guil Wars was always well known about horizontal progression. If I wanted to play gear progression mmo, there are tons of them btw.

YOU DONT NEED vertical progression to have content challenging. They can just add new dungeons, routes that gives new shiny rewards and they can be 2x as hard.

But I belive this Ascendant armor is not new tier and its just someting to upgrade your current gear so you can infuse your armor against some specific monster

(edited by Dogblaster.6713)

bcbully.7289

Well, we know what happened if the patch gets delayed…

Posted by: spellchekc.5409

spellchekc.5409

32 pages of comments, all from concerned players (taking one side or another). A Dev Blog sure would go a long way towards calming people down… or at least focusing us in the right direction! COUGH COUGH

Posted by: krookie.6378

krookie.6378

What indicators are those? Every single US server is either High or Full. LA on my server is packed, so is Orr. I rolled a brand new alt a few days ago and even the newbie zones have players.

Unless by “indicator” you mean a certain orifice from which you pulled out your information…

Posted by: Velron.3729

Velron.3729

Its a shame that so many people are upset, a simple “no, these items will not be stronger than exotics” would calm the masses. I initially got the impression that Arenanet would be more communicative with the playerbase, but whenever I see the Arenanet logo on the forum, its just some manager closing the thread because the “question was answered

They already said that they would be more powerful. What more of an explanation do you need?

That is the big question.

If it affects general PvE or especially WvW – then yes, yes we do.
If not, then why didn’t they just say so in a quick one line post?

Yep. If the gear effects all stats and not just some special crap for the new harder dungeons then you are FORCED to get it to be on even footing in WvW.

Many, including myself, bought the game for WvW. And not having to worry about a gear treadmill, free to log in and do what I want to do every day (WvW), is a huge part of that.

It’s already been suggested. Best compromise is the new gear bein same stats as exotics but with the new slot. The thing that goes in new slot only effect your strength in the new dungeons.

If the gear is stronger and effects WvW and all PVE. They lied, period. There is no arguing it. And I will be sad and feel betrayed. I’ve sold this game to so many people just telling them about how awesome it is and the no treadmill is a big selling point.

I had to lol @ the guy trying to say we don’t want treadmills bc they are hard. How about you use skill to over come your opponent and content instead of relying on putting in more time and having stronger avatar stats? Who’s the one truly afraid of the challenge?

Fragg – Engineer | Lil Zek – Warrior PVP R43
[DA] Decisive Actions – Jade Quarry

Dzoni.1082

I am sorry but i will have to disagree on the fact about LoL (if you was refering to League of Legends). LoL has “steamrolled” WoW by the number of players. Heck it is even declared as the most played online game on the planet

Sorry for being off-topic…

(edited by Dzoni.1082)

Posted by: Erasculio.2914

Erasculio.2914

The grind-for-stats World of Warcraft still has more people playing than this so-called “grind-for-appearance” game.

Actually, the truth is that all WoW clones have lost most of their players within a few month after release. This is the “incovenient truth” for WoW fanboys who keep hopping from MMO to MMO thinking they will find a game that is a better WoW than WoW. GW2 never aimed to be something like that – since that would pretty much mean the game were destined to fail – but rather an alternative for people who like the idea of an online world without all the issues that plague traditional MMOs, of which the fanboys are too blind to see.

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to
put another carrot in front of me” – Mike O’Brien right before Ascended weapons

bcbully.7289

That is the big question.

If it affects general PvE or especially WvW – then yes, yes we do.
If not, then why didn’t they just say so in a quick one line post?

Yep. If the gear effects all stats and not just some special crap for the new harder dungeons then you are FORCED to get it to be on even footing in WvW.

Many, including myself, bought the game for WvW. And not having to worry about a gear treadmill, free to log in and do what I want to do every day (WvW), is a huge part of that.

It’s already been suggested. Best compromise is the new gear bein same stats as exotics but with the new slot. The thing that goes in new slot only effect your strength in the new dungeons.

If the gear is stronger and effects WvW and all PVE. They lied, period. There is no arguing it. And I will be sad and feel betrayed. I’ve sold this game to so many people just telling them about how awesome it is and the no treadmill is a big selling point.

I had to lol @ the guy trying to say we don’t want treadmills bc they are hard. How about you use skill to over come your opponent and content instead of relying on putting in more time and having stronger avatar stats? Who’s the one truly afraid of the challenge?

I’m sorry if you are unable to compete, in WvW no less, where you never have a 1v1 situation, then well I guess you are “forced” Even the actually your not, you could just get better.

Posted by: hplee.2839

hplee.2839

yep, a lot of people have already left…so that’s why you have people complaining about their server is dead.

No progression = No desire to log = No players

Orisis Stonehart
Blackgate Militia

Erasculio.2914

I’m sorry if you are unable to compete, in WvW no less, where you never have a 1v1 situation

You have never played WvW, have you?

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to

Posted by: azurrei.5691

azurrei.5691

Well, we know what happened if the patch gets delayed…

I highly doubt they are going to reconsider a calculated decision based on a few hundred GW1 diehard’s concerned about the potential appearance of gear progression in GW1…err I mean GW2 – OH, wait! You mean this is a different game? You don’t say…GW1 still exists you know.

Anyways, I don’t think that this is what all the people in this thread think it is, so untie the knot in your pants and wait for an official comment before REALLY going off the deep end….

Posted by: dirtyklingon.2918

dirtyklingon.2918

yep, a lot of people have already left…so that’s why you have people complaining about their server is dead.

funny the last 7 years of wow clones begs to differ.

the wow clone model has been done to death with abysmal failure after abysmal failure.

who doesn’t love wow clones?

bcbully.7289

I am sorry but i will have to disagree on the fact about LoL (if you was refering to League of Legends). LoL have had “steamrolled” WoW by the number of players. Heck it is even declared as the most played online game on the planet

You can disagree, but you are wrong WoW is the most played mmorpg. LoL is an mmo. If you don’t believe me ask Forbes. here is one article. It’s been said LoL has around 35 million players.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngaudiosi/2012/08/22/concrete-data-shows-league-of-legends-number-one-in-live-streams-team-solomid-theoddone-most-popular-player/

here is another
http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngaudiosi/2012/07/11/riot-games-league-of-legends-officially-becomes-most-played-pc-game-in-the-world/

Posted by: XGhoul.7426

XGhoul.7426

Why are people even crying over this issue? Full Exotic gear still makes you MORE than capable of doing 99% of the content in the game (besides the end of this new dungeon). The people crying right now have no idea if they will be easy to get and I’m willing to bet there will be a “chance” to get ascended gear in every dungeon chest now which will go with what Anet said on fixing dungeon rewards. I’m happily looking forward to it now. (time to actually kill Khoeler in AC)

We aren’t upset about having to get one more set of gear. We are upset about what this represents (if true) and that’s having to get a new set every few months (grind).

This game was advertised to not be a grind and it is slowly turning into one.

If anyone wants to play a “grindy” game, they have many to choose from. Anet sold THIS game as something for the rest of us that don’t want to play those other games.

And getting exotics wasn’t a grind? (some people had a full set in less than 5 days of game release) If anything it will make exotics cheaper (less grind) which allows you to do 99% of the content of the game (and you don’t even need full exotic gear to do so), yea people are overreacting way too much over this. The only thing you might have to grind to do is “1 dungeon” but I still don’t see the logic behind all the qq.

Posted by: fixit.7189

fixit.7189

Playing this game b/c it is NOT like that other game that keeps getting cloned (and failing everytime). I play it b/c it is Guild Wars who set a new standard for MMOs with it’s brilliant design and refreshing take on the genre. Now they are going the gear treadmill route and caving in to a small minority that wants this game to become just another clone. Sigh.

I guess in the end, it don’t matter. Lookin like they want to make this into a gear progression MMO after all. Time to change that Manifesto imo so no one is confused.

Posted by: trapline.8541

trapline.8541

I think I’m probably about as close to the average GW2 player right now…
I’ve got one character just about to 80
a few alts in the 30’s
and I’ve done a lot of wvwvw and dipped my toes into Spvp
I’ve checked out two dungeons with guildies, and really enjoyed them for the mechanics and the branching paths, nothing to complain about (bugs are bugs they will be fixed eventually)

I think it’s important to add my voice to the others here concerned with gear treadmills, I feel that this game is simply put, too good for them, and it would be a shame to see an artificial time sink plugged into a game that has launched with so much promise.

I love that my time in gw2 is spent doing things that I want to do, not have to do, so much of the fun of this game is exploring new areas, and with level scaling it isn’t boring. New events, new puzzles, new dungeons..to me those are a better way to want to keep playing, other MMO’s use gear treadmills to accomplish the same, and when I play those other games it shows, the bland boring worlds, the lack of live events and world pvp..all of that is a result of adopting that cheap and quick fix to retain players.

I love gw2 because it breaks the mold, I can go into wvw and scale up and be competitive, I don’t have to spend my time trying to get groups together to farm gear so i’m not an easy kill, or can’t contribute to my team. I realize exotics are an advantage in wvw, but they aren’t overwhelming.

I also like the philosophy of legendaries being more visual, I’m not getting one any time this year or the next, but eventually by playing the game and saving I will complete one, and it won’t be obsolete.

I’m just worried about the power creep factor that gw1 avoided so many years by creating fun content that required thought, not numbers. Even though I never even finished a campaign in gw1 I still faithfully bought every single expansion, because I loved the concept, and how it wasn’t a job. Anet I hope you decide to add skills and traits down the road, not stats.

In gw1 hunting elite skills was awesome, there were so many skills and builds that I never felt bored, but moving away from that horizontal expansion to a gear treadmill is a bad idea, there are other games out there that already do that, and for the most part they are fading off.

Posted by: Shanna.4762

Shanna.4762

Then they should get creative instead of raising up gear tiers like they promised they wouldn’t. So much for this game being about fun, and content instead of the typical treadmill huh.

(edited by Shanna.4762)

Posted by: cubed.2853

cubed.2853

Well I read ANet integrated this new Tier because players where asking for more progression – when I see this huge thread with 32 pages in just 12 houres I guess you did listen to the wrong folks. Seriously I was buying your game because there were no such kind of items and now that… I really do not like what I’m reading… I think the decission to outdate exotic was a very big mistake…. Until now we do not know much, but still there is something that is better than exotic… Not good… Whatever it is – that is not what I want the game to be. What is after ascended? The people that you try to satisfy are never satisfied!

it was written…

Posted by: Ibsen.4057

Ibsen.4057

All i have to say is…you people need to CHILL out. You dont even have the full picture and your all panicking like theres no tomorrow. Get the full blog to come out first.

P.S. Bring on stronger gear

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

lol i would like to know what server you played on…lowbies zones are packed with people? loool

Tarnished Coast on weekends. I can confirm that low level zones are still buzzing with activity there. It’s quieter on weekdays, especially since I’m an Aussie playing on a US server, but there’s typically still people around.

Dzoni.1082

I am sorry but i will have to disagree on the fact about LoL (if you was refering to League of Legends). LoL have had “steamrolled” WoW by the number of players. Heck it is even declared as the most played online game on the planet

You can disagree, but you are wrong WoW is the most played mmorpg. LoL is an mmo. If you don’t believe me ask Forbes. here is one article. It’s been said LoL has around 35 million players.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngaudiosi/2012/08/22/concrete-data-shows-league-of-legends-number-one-in-live-streams-team-solomid-theoddone-most-popular-player/

here is another
http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngaudiosi/2012/07/11/riot-games-league-of-legends-officially-becomes-most-played-pc-game-in-the-world/

Well, thats what i was about to say. 35 millions outmatched WoW more than twice.

Strange how one typo can change the meaning of whole post. I am sorry, i corrected it. English is not my primary language anyway.

Posted by: Aaron.4807

Aaron.4807

That MMORPG.com article is pretty kitten to me. This can only be bad.

Wrekks/Wrekts

Sky.9347

They lied when they released teh game, they lied again after release. They lied again, and again, and again…

Noticing a trend here??

I don’t remember it that way.
In fact, I can’t recall ever having lost my trust in them.

bcbully.7289

here is another

Well, thats what i was about to say. 35 millions outmatched WoW more than twice.

Strange how one typo can change the meaning of whole post. I am sorry, i corrected it. English is not my primary language anyway.

All good mate may have been me misreading.

Erasculio.2914

Well I read ANet integrated this new Tier because players where asking for more progression – when I see this huge thread with 32 pages in just 12 houres I guess you did listen to the wrong folks.

The conclusion is that the game most likely failed – that they were expecting more people to play the game, and upon finding out how many people were actually playing, they decided to give up on their original filosophy and just turn the game into one more WoW clone. Which, ironically, is only going to make the game fail even faster.

Which is a pity. If the game is really going to crash and burn, I wished it would do so as the true Guild Wars 2, not as World of Guild Wars.

We are going to know the truth anyway on the next NCSoft Quarterly Report.

Sky.9347

here is another

All good mate may have been me misreading.

It’s a good thing LoL has vertical progression, since you guys have both proven it outperformed WoW twice over – certainly this proves… oh, wait a minute…

Posted by: Haishao.6851

Haishao.6851

Out of curiosity why were you “already losing interest?”

Sorry, I just saw your question.

I feel that after playing 1 character there’s little to no reason to play another one.
I did make a second lv 80, but i really didn’t enjoy it as much as I did with my first one.

And boring dungeon grind. I find dungeon fun the first time, but that’s it. There’s not a single one I feel like I would want to play again.
It’s a pain when you want pieces of armor from dungeon such as CoE. Not only do you have to grind it even for 1 piece of armor, but no one at all ever want to play this dungeon.
My guild do dungeon everyday, but they do AC and SE. and since it’s only 5, there’s always people who are left out and are forced to go with PUG or wait so that they join on next run while other pass.

Posted by: Laef.4519

Laef.4519

Well I read ANet integrated this new Tier because players where asking for more progression – when I see this huge thread with 32 pages in just 12 houres I guess you did listen to the wrong folks.

The conclusion is that the game most likely failed – that they were expecting more people to play the game, and upon finding out how many people were actually playing, they decided to give up on their original filosophy and just turn the game into one more WoW clone. Which, ironically, is only going to make the game fail even faster.

Which is a pity. If the game is really going to crash and burn, I wished it would do so as the true Guild Wars 2, not as World of Guild Wars.

We are going to know the truth anyway on the next NCSoft Quarterly Report.

Sadly this is the way I see it too.. if it’s true..

Oops! Google Chrome could not find exitsurvey.guildwars2.com

Posted by: SonicTHI.3217

SonicTHI.3217

Players are mostly leaving the game because of the many issues (performance, balancing, bugs) that are still not fixed and because they are not married to the game like other subscription MMOs. Even i took a break for a few days to play XCOM and BL2.

People that are leaving because there is no visible numerical progression just ruin games anyway. This kitten been going on since EQ because of a vocal hardcore PVE minority. GW1 stopped it and now we r going back to this kitten with GW2? No thanks and go back to WoW.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike O’Brien, President of Arenanet

Posted by: trapline.8541

trapline.8541

Yes, and I think that being creative costs more to accomplish, and that’s why a treadmill emerges. It’s unfortunate because diversity in builds and coming up with new builds made gw1 more interesting than any mmo I’ve played, it just lacked the large persistant world and of course jumping!

The gw2 comes out and not only is there a large persistant world, its a massive living one, with stuff popping off all over the place, and we didn’t just get jumping, we got elaborate exploration jumping puzzles that are fantastic and fresh to the genre.

I think gw2 needs to take the same apporach to progression and dungeons, I understand that a subset of the population wants pve gear creep, and that’s cool, but can’t it be done in a way that doesn’t impact the rest of us that don’t mind the slow ride?

I really hope they add a bunch more skills too as the game continues, we need more buildwars in guildwars2

Posted by: Nephele.5063

Nephele.5063

I’d like some actual info on this. If it’s just some jewelry we put on to kill stuff in the new dungeon better, then whatever. It’ll be lame but at least we can ignore it if we choose.

If it’s actually better than exotic gear in other areas of the game (I’m looking at WvW) then Anet just trashed all that stuff they said about GW2 being different. Gear wise, I see no difference between this and a new raid tier in WoW. Well, except if the new gear includes weapons and armor that means I have to go buy trans stones on top of grinding the new gear. So in that way it’s kinda worse.

Is it too much to ask for an MMO to just leave the power creep out? Before this I could at least take a break for a few months and not have to worry about grinding new gear when I come back. Now it’s just WoW all over again. “Hey, you’re back! Now go run dungeons for 3 weeks and we’ll let you raid with us!”

Posted by: Serephen.3420

Serephen.3420

It’s easy to get carried along with either side of the argument.

Personally I’m going to wait and see what they say when they explain it on their blog post.

I’m personally in favour in this being a thing used in helping with that dungeon specifically(like the Mursaat in gw1) or for current exotics to beable to go through a process of being upgraded. I’ve learnt that relying on external sites for accurate information often leads to things being blown out of proportion.

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

I am chuckling to myself about this thread a tad. First reason, you don’t even need Exotic gear to do 99% of the content in this game. Secondly, read EXACTLY what that post said. It says NOTHING about armor rating going up. If anything I would think it will be a new rune or something that will be minor. True Power creep is NEEDING a certain base stat to even do something in a game. Sure, it will be way harder to wear blue grade gear at level 80 and do a dungeon or two in this game, but it can be done. That can’t be said for other games.

For the love of Mellagan, chill out with the Chicken Little posts and give ArenaNet some credit. We just came off of an AMAZING Halloween Event and two weeks later we are getting more awesome content for FREE and a new permanent zone, dungeon, and sPvP map. If anything I would like to give a HUGE THANK YOU to ArenaNet for this amazing game.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

People, like yourself, seem to forget WoW didn’t get that player base size a few months after release.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: Rainshine.5493

Rainshine.5493

Secondly, I am coming back to teh game for this, and I am willing to be all you guys who are ‘threatening’ to leave will not only NOT leave, but when I grow bored of this game again, within a week, you will still be here, trying to sell everyone on what a great and fanatstic piece of real estate this game is.

This is a very interesting post. I think there are probably a lot of players like you, but what you failed to do is convince me why Anet should cater to you. If you’re already gone, and anticipate only being back for a week … why should Anet alienate the regulars for you, when nothing they do will make you stick around anyway?

Ruse Torrent (elementalist) on JQ
trixnotes tumblr: quick hits of lore | personal tumblr (some other GW2 stuff)

Sky.9347

I am chuckling to myself about this thread a tad. First reason, you don’t even need Exotic gear to do 99% of the content in this game. Secondly, read EXACTLY what that post said. It says NOTHING about armor rating going up. If anything I would think it will be a new rune or something that will be minor. True Power creep is NEEDING a certain base stat to even do something in a game. Sure, it will be way harder to wear blue grade gear at level 80 and do a dungeon or two in this game, but it can be done. That can’t be said for other games.

For the love of Mellagan, chill out with the Chicken Little posts and give ArenaNet some credit. We just came off of an AMAZING Halloween Event and two weeks later we are getting more awesome content for FREE and a new permanent zone, dungeon, and sPvP map. If anything I would like to give a HUGE THANK YOU to ArenaNet for this amazing game.

Yes, the rest of this patch is very exciting. I even await the balance changes that might be coming.

But this is a big deal that deserves a straight answer.

Posted by: Nunna.6413

Nunna.6413

never like dungeon in a game .. never touch gw2 dungeon either because meh .. not important .. but now u forcing me to do dungeon for monthly achievement and new gear. that just sucks. what happen to i can do whatever i want in this game ..