Thoughts on Ascended Gear? [Merged threads]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: UnderdogSMO.9428

UnderdogSMO.9428

They have taken away the main reason why i bought and will continuously play this game. I’m just disgusted with this update. You are forcing ALL players to run this stupid dungeon everyday for hours. Not FUN. Well now GW2 becomes your typical MMO.

“Ascended and infusion rewards will be available in both PvE and WvW over time,”

So why exactly do you have to run this Dungeon again????

Posted by: IonicBlaze.7948

IonicBlaze.7948

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/info/news/A-message-from-our-Studio-Design-Director-Chris-Whiteside "We will not be adding a new tier of gear every 3 months that we expect everyone to chase after and then get the next set and so on.

Ascended and infusion rewards will be available in both PvE and WvW over time, and be made available through all sorts of content around the world including existing content. " this

Good lord shut up people it willbe in WVW it will be in old content

and there not planing on adding much more content like this.

And when will it be? You could get the best Items by all the different ways the game offers. Now U HAVE to farm a stupid dungeon and nothing but that. Everything else is completley worthless. Old Dungeons, crafting, lower maps etc….

The spirit of Guild Wars died on Nov. 13 2012. R.I.P.

Posted by: rikuharada.3152

rikuharada.3152

This is a once off, if they had added a new tier between blue and green items no one would care, that is exactly what they have done here, add a new tier between Exotic and Legendary, something that will very important to do as this game is dying fast and loosing many players to boredom at level 80.

The disgusting overreaction from the hipster elitists of this game is deeply disturbing.

Keep up the good work Arenanet and dont let the bullys get you down!

Legendary are suppose to be for cosmetic look, they have the same stats as exotic item in term of power since launch day, there was absolutely no gap between them in term of power.

Exotic power was suppose to be the end gap in term of power. If the new tier “ascended” is only for look, people wouldn’t complain, but this case, it also up the “power” scale.

And now Ascended gear will be the same stats as Legendary and will continue to farm for cosmetics from this patch forward.

Not once has Arenanet suggested there would be another stat increase after this, in fact they have said numerous times it would not happen.

Where did they say that ?? Show me, because so far, I only see the message stating that they not going to add another tier every 3 months. 3 months is a specific time frame, what come after that is unknown

Posted by: ASB.4295

ASB.4295

So, once ANet will be (again) flabbergasted by how fast people are getting in Ascended armor, and they need to slow down people’s progression speed once again, what do you think will happen? Are they going to add a new tier and limit the amount of progression you can make in a certain time frame towards it by disabling rewards completely after X% progress, like a harsh version of DR for dungeon tokens or whatever you’ll be needing for your infusion slot?

That seems like the only fool proof way to regulate player progression to me, but if you can think of other mechanics to artificially delay progression speed, I’d like to hear them.

(edited by ASB.4295)

Posted by: DOW Mageski.2097

DOW Mageski.2097

It is simple, they said originally there would be no gear treadmill. Now this new level of armour, which originally was not meant to exist, is meant to be the last.
If they can just go back on what they said once, why not do it again. Sorry but if they release this new level of gear, whatever the say again has to be taken with a pinch of salt.

Fool me once… Agreed!

#OccupySAB2014 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Forgotten Vanguard [TFV], a 18+ great guild. On the Gandara server.
Join. http://forgottenvanguard.enjin.com/

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

Most players want some form of progression, what Anet has done is add in a specific type of high end gear built around allowing for horizontal progression. A player gets ascended gear and works on getting the infusions to be able to handle the new content. The infusions(that only ascended gear can use) allows players to deal with “Agony”, a new DoT that is specific for the new content(http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Infusion).

Hopefully 3 months from now we will have more new content and maybe a DoT called “Despair” where you will have to work on getting your ascended gear infused again to be able to delve deeper into the next new content….This is not hard logic to follow…and this system isnt a run of the mill system that anyone would expect for vertical progression…it is too unique, and it leans completely in the direction of what someone would expect out of a system built for horizontal progression.

Doomsayers can take their chances and assume that the A-net team is lying and that this system looks nothing like what would be expected out of a horizontal progression system…however, when what I have stated above ends up being the case, I hope you doomsayers ask yourselves if it was worth coming on the forums, making yourself look silly and being butthurt about an assumption?

no…no it wasnt..so please calm down…

You can hope all you want but you know as much as anyone else so please don’t act as though your completely baseless assumptions are any less likely than other peoples assumptions.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Posted by: Unspecified.9142

Unspecified.9142

People seem to be throwing around the “Gear Treadmill” thing right now.

Maybe it’s just me but the worst thing about the gear treadmill wasn’t moving up new tiers of gear. The worst part was the very real possibility of never getting the gear you wanted/needed because of BS RNG and 1 drop for 15-40 people.

A treadmill is a thing you run on but never actually move forward.

Really think about that, “never actually move forward” part of the definition. I distinctly remember raiding 2-3 times a week in other games for months and having nothing to show for it. Other people in the raid did, but I didn’t. Some days nobody had anything to show for it because the wrong things dropped.

Now ask yourself: Does that actually apply here? If you gave any answer other than “I don’t know yet” you aren’t being honest.

Posted by: Rhyaehar.9504

Rhyaehar.9504

Then the problem was not Exotic items or gear tiers, but that players felt Legendary items were too hard to get and it took too long after getting Exotic set to ge ta Legendary?
And they’re fixing the problem of Legendaries being – according to some players – too laborous and hard to get – by adding a tier of items harder to get than Exotics?
I fail to compute this reasoning.

Also, Exotics are apparently fine for PvP balance, which by design of this game makes them fine for PvE as well. So Ascended items do not need the stat increase.
So in the end, we’re back to the starting point: this implementation is pointless and baseless from the game’s design point of view and is a 180 turn away from the principles this game was supposed to be build upon and sold upon – Ascended items might as well have been just another skin.

Posted by: Arnath.2319

Arnath.2319

Not once has Arenanet suggested there would be another stat increase after this, in fact they have said numerous times it would not happen.

Fool me once…

If you want to wear your tin foil hat and make up conspiracy theroys and spend your time hating a company that has produced the best MMO in gaming history with the most amount of content delivered then any other game then go for it. But your behaviour is unhealthy and not welcome in this community.

UnderdogSMO.9428

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/info/news/A-message-from-our-Studio-Design-Director-Chris-Whiteside "We will not be adding a new tier of gear every 3 months that we expect everyone to chase after and then get the next set and so on.

Ascended and infusion rewards will be available in both PvE and WvW over time, and be made available through all sorts of content around the world including existing content. " this

And when will it be? You could get the best Items by all the different ways the game offers. Now U HAVE to farm a stupid dungeon and nothing but that. Everything else is completley worthless. Old Dungeons, crafting, lower maps etc….

Oh no, i have to play the game, oh what ever will i do i cant get the best gear right away QQ QQ QQ

maybe im just bios because i smack players around in PVP with my low level gear already and i role in a Guild thats not so overly obsessed with gear to do high level hard content.

Posted by: Freohr.7905

Freohr.7905

Fool me once…

If you want to wear your tin foil hat and make up conspiracy theroys and spend your time hating a company that has produced the best MMO in gaming history with the most amount of content delivered then any other game then go for it. But your behaviour is unhealthy and not welcome in this community.

Have you been reading this thread you dolt? You can’t speak for the community when most of them on this forum denounce this change.

If having a bigger blob means victory then you will blob.
Sun Tzu said that, and I think he knows a little more about fighting than you do, pal.

Posted by: Mandrax.7342

Mandrax.7342

Seems to me that this is the wrong time to give this announcement. Of course whenever they gave it, people would be unhappy, but right now Blizzard has a free 10 day trial of Mists of Pandaria running to all former players. People might just get deflated enough about Arenanet’s latest news and might turn to something else. It’s possible that a number of those that try MoP might be tempted to stay. It feels like Arenanet are pushing people away, and with the amount of competition out there, if it’s not to MoP, it could well be to some other competitor.

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

It’s not conspiracy theories. It’s a matter of trust. I bought that karma exotic armor set because I trusted ArenaNet when they said it was the best quality ever. I bought a second set of exotic jewelry because I trusted ArenaNet when they said it was the best quality ever.

Now, they broke that trust which hurts which is why people are angry. And when they add later “but trust us, it’s the last time we add a new gear tier!”, it doesn’t work, the trust isn’t there anymore.

UnderdogSMO.9428

Maybe it’s just me but the worst thing about the gear treadmill wasn’t moving up new tiers of gear. The worst part was the very real possibility of never getting the gear you wanted/needed because of BS RNG and 1 drop for 15-40 people.

Really think about that, “never actually move forward” part of the definition. I distinctly remember raiding 2-3 times a week in other games for months and having nothing to show for it. Other people in the raid did, but I didn’t. Some days nobody had anything to show for it because the wrong things dropped.

Now ask yourself: Does that actually apply here? If you gave any answer other than “I don’t know yet” you aren’t being honest.

I want you to know I love you, i really do.

I wish could articulate this as well as you do but all i can do is get mad at people and troll them

But this. this is exactly what i was thinking

Posted by: ASB.4295

ASB.4295

And they’re fixing the problem of Legendaries being – according to some players – too laborous and hard to get – by adding a tier of items harder to get than Exotics?
I fail to compute this reasoning.

I think their logic is that the average player spends his time always farming the tier of gear and not just puts all of his resources into getting what they really want straight away.

It’s pretty naive to think that, and I don’t believe the majority of the player base is wasting their money getting statistically inferior gear. People are dumb, but not THAT dumb.

Posted by: Cloud.7613

Cloud.7613

Seems to me that this is the wrong time to give this announcement. Of course whenever they gave it, people would be unhappy, but right now Blizzard has a free 10 day trial of Mists of Pandaria running to all former players. People might just get deflated enough about Arenanet’s latest news and might turn to something else. It’s possible that a number of those that try MoP might be tempted to stay. It feels like Arenanet are pushing people away, and with the amount of competition out there, if it’s not to MoP, it could well be to some other competitor.

Enjoy the monthly subscription, enjoy buying the expansion cost and enjoy the same thing people are complaining about right now, gear, progression. I’m confused why people would complain about one thing and go to the game that is renowned for it. :-/

Rhyaehar.9504

It’s not conspiracy theories. It’s a matter of trust. I bought that karma exotic armor set because I trusted ArenaNet when they said it was the best quality ever. I bought a second set of exotic jewelry because I trusted ArenaNet when they said it was the best quality ever.

Now, they broke that trust which hurts which is why people are angry. And when they add later “but trust us, it’s the last time we add a new gear tier!”, it doesn’t work, the trust isn’t there anymore.

Read more closely, they’re not even saying “that’s the last time we’re adding a new tier”. They actualyl say, in both blog post and new announcement, they “will build upon these levels of Item progression in future content”, just “not every 3 months”.
Every 6, 7, 12 months is as bad for me and makes no change to the underlying principle: they added gear treadmill to a game i bought because it has a “no gear treadmill” on the label.

Arnath.2319

Fool me once…

Have you been reading this thread you dolt? You can’t speak for the community when most of them on this forum denounce this change.

And these forums are less than 5% of the Guild Wars 2 community.

These changes are being added for a reason, they listened to player feedback, they looked at how fast people were getting Exotics and Legendarys and acted.

UnderdogSMO.9428

i wonder how manny people are mad because thay have a bunch of exotics in there bank and on the tradeing post they were going to sell for WAY to much and now they wont get as much for them.

also Can the new gear be used to make lagandarys or is that still only exotics???

Posted by: Nar.8327

Nar.8327

In case they can’t be inferred, here are my explicit concerns for this update.

1) Ascended gear will render previous content obsolete.

Yeah, there will be the occasional run through a dungeon for the skins or gifts, but that’s all it will be. There is no longer any incentive to spend time working on an exotic weapon through dungeon tokens when you could be spending that time working on ascended ones. This is why there is such a dramatic price difference between exotics and rares – if rares couldn’t be mystic forged into exotics from time to time, the gap would be even larger. No one wants subpar gear. By introducing superior gear, the eight existing dungeons are rendered obsolete.

2) Ascended items will kill the market for crafted items.

Since there’s been no mention of any new crafting recipes to match this new tier of gear, we can only assume that there aren’t any. The few crafting niches that are still profitable will disappear, and the only reason to bother crafting at all will be for food (which we already have to compete with NPCs for) or for legendaries.

3) Ascended items will destabilize WvWvW.

This one speaks for itself. Introducing a stat bonus to those who do a specific instance forces players outside of their playstyles, and that’s something they don’t appreciate. Yes, I know there will be new ways to get ascended items “in the future,” but that still means that there’s a frustrating window of time during which WvWvW players need to do PvE to compete.

4) Ascended items will further destabilize lower level zones.

We already see this with rares and exotics, which have no low-level counterparts. A character that is level 60 with a full set of rare gear is substantially more powerful than a character of level 40 in full masterwork gear, even if both players are scaled to the same level. We are already seeing elitist PvE groups demanding level 80’s for low level dungeons. Ascended gear will only make this worse.

5) Players feel that their work over the past months has been discredited.

Perhaps the most universal and distressing concern, certainly in this thread, is that we are being lured into a game where we climb a ladder that keeps getting taller as we reach the top. We’ve done that before. Games have been born and died on that philosophy. Many of us who came here did so because we wanted horizontal progression, which this is not.

Now, I propose two possible courses of action.

1) Pull the plug on the initial concept, and adjust ascended stats to match exotic stats. Doing this shows the player base that you have listened to our concerns and that there is still some shred of faith in the original design philosophy, while remaining very simple to accomplish. Literally just a few numbers need to be tweaked.

2) Make sure that ALL ascended items introduced include the magic find stat. That way, they will be better than exotic magic find sets (so still allowing characters to progress) but will not be better than more combat-oriented gear. Many of us already carry a magic find set. In short, keep exotics at the top of the power ladder, and just give everyone a new PvE-focused set to work on. Doing this also makes lodestones more likely to drop, further bridging the investment gap between exotics and legendaries.

Substance E.4852

Oh no, i have to play the game, oh what ever will i do i cant get the best gear right away QQ QQ QQ

maybe im just bios because i smack players around in PVP with my low level gear already and i role in a Guild thats not so overly obsessed with gear to do high level hard content.

Cool beans, try the new dungeon in your fly greens and tell us how far you get. Also, please don’t use WvW as a gauge for how well you do in pvp. They tried their very hardest to make sure that people who are below 80 are still semi viable so it stands to reason anyone can do WvW in merch fodder gear.

Posted by: scerevisiae.1972

scerevisiae.1972

“Our goal is to ensure we have a proper progression for players from exotic up to legendary without a massive jump in reward between the two.”

Exotic and Legendary items have the same stats. There is no “jump”.

This is a gear grind, pure and simple. They have deliberately deceived players in order to incite players to buy gems. I would like my money back.

downed state is bad for PVP

(edited by scerevisiae.1972)

Posted by: Funset.7893

Funset.7893

Fool me once…

These changes are being added for a reason, they listened to player feedback, they looked at how fast people were getting Exotics and Legendarys and acted.

Acted how? They promised that this game will never be about gear progression. Farm for better look, I am fine with it, but farm for more powerful items? NO, thnks.
Acted, hehe, right, acted.

Posted by: Freohr.7905

Freohr.7905

Fool me once…

Okay, let’s take a reasonable stance and assume what you are saying is true.
What feedback? I’ve been playing this game almost every single day since release and not once have I seen ArenaNet use any in-game surveys to find out what their community wants.

I’m calling bullkitten. This was a move backed by shareholders to try and capitalise on the WoW orientated players and retain them. Well, it won’t work. If I want to play a gear grind MMO I’ll go back to WoW that has a proven-track record of being successful at it and where the dungeons don’t absolutely suck.

If having a bigger blob means victory then you will blob.
Sun Tzu said that, and I think he knows a little more about fighting than you do, pal.

UnderdogSMO.9428

Fool me once…

whats funny about this is with the new mid teir gear it may lower the price of exotics and make getting your lafendary less expansive and easyer

Posted by: Chamone.6890

Chamone.6890

The simple way they could have avoided all of this nonsense is to make the new gear worse than the old gear.

If it was a ring with 0 stats, but an infusion slot, I don’t think anyone would complain at all.

People are very sensitive to gear treadmill, we have seen it all before and that’s why we play Guild Wars. Even if it was not your intention to copy WoW raid gear, it’s what it seems like to the majority of us.

Learn from this mistake.

Rhyaehar.9504

Enjoy the monthly subscription, enjoy buying the expansion cost and enjoy the same thing people are complaining about right now, gear, progression. I’m confused why people would complain about one thing and go to the game that is renowned for it. :-/

There is an old truth that is yet to be proven wrong: “you pay for what you get”.
I don’t mind paying monthly fee and buying expansions (btw, you’re assuming GW2 will not have paid-for expansions, I’m pretty sure they already said they will, November is just a small content update) for things that I enjoy. I also like the idea of in-game support that can fix broken instances without the need to do them again because of a game bug, or account restoration, or even reimbursement in case of loss caused by a game bug, none of GW2 has.

Monthly fees is not the reason I am not playing WoW however, gear treadmill is the main reason I am not.

Arnath.2319

Fool me once…

Acted how? They promised that this game will never be about gear progression. Farm for better look, I am fine with it, but farm for more powerful items? NO, thnks.
Acted, hehe, right, acted.

And they are still keeping there promise, there is no gear grind here or gear progressions or gear treadmill, that is just the elitists of this game thinking the worst and trying to troll and derail these threads.

UnderdogSMO.9428

I cannot believe what i’m reading lol.
129 pages of QQ without even experiencing the update , it’s like nowadays it’s a hobby to grief. Not even good critisicim , just pointless whining.

Then everyone jumps on the bandwagon and complains too without even knowing what update is in the first place.

Disgusting.

Save you’re wall of texts when you actually play the update through then give it a review.

Why is everyone mad anyways ?
Rare is weaker than Exotic.They just added another gear tier? where’s the big deal?
Seems like some are pretty irritated that they are “Loosing” their exotics.

sigh , humans.

This is because exotic was supposed to be the best gear you could get, so people farmed for lots of different sets to play WvW. They likely even used transmutation stones to get the looks they wanted.

With this update their exotic gear or farmed 42k karma armor will pretty much be trash and they will have to go back to pve to get the new best armor for WvW.

So that and other stuff…

right but only a few updates from this one you will probably be able to earn this new gear in WVW…. as one of the devs has said…..

Posted by: Mandrax.7342

Mandrax.7342

I hope Anet are going to be adding a dungeon finder tool soon because once this new gear becomes available, other dungeons just will not be popular. This means anybody that does want to run the older content will have a real job with finding a group.

Posted by: cafard.8953

cafard.8953

Fool me once…

Sadly my good friend, it is as welcome as yours, on virtue of paying for the game too. I’ll reserve the right to wear my tinfoil hat while you wear your blinders and ignore the unprecedented hundreds of pages in this thread that seem to indicate that the ‘community’ may surprisingly not be just you and your friends.

It’s not about spending time hating, it’s about being extremely disappointed in a policy u-turn which impacts me. It’s selfish and i’m big enough to acknowledge it. I’m happy for the cheerful crowd like you: you’ve got your progression, and another game among dozen where you can enjoy looking at your numbers increasing. For me, and maybe one or two others (i think i saw a couple posts along those lines between the 6000 cheerful posts), it’s back to square one, without a game offering the no-treadmill model. Jealous? Kitten right i am!

Olaf Oakmane [KA]
Save the Bell Choir activity!

Posted by: Celle.2716

Celle.2716

Thats what i thought too. It´s just a new step of progression, not a Treadmill. A Treadmill require´s that your gear becomes worthless with every new tier.

Arenanet buff´s the dungeonrewards also i think, bacause they are NOT stupit and throw there dungeons out of the window.

stof.9341

Arenanet buff´s the dungeonrewards also i think, bacause they are NOT stupit and throw there dungeons out of the window.

Can I get back the tokens I wasted buying suboptimal and worthless exotic dungeon items then?

Posted by: rikuharada.3152

rikuharada.3152

Fool me once…

Well with 6.5k of reply in this thread alone, if they are not player’s feedback, then I dont know what to call them.

Let do a little statistic, u said these forums are less than 5% of the GW2 community, well then within that 5%, 90% are against this new addition. If you take that picture and upscale that to 100%, there should still roughly be a high volume of ppl that disagree with this idea. Remember, these forums dont discriminate any specific group, so those 5% u got is a good sample to get the bigger picture

UnderdogSMO.9428

Cool beans, try the new dungeon in your fly greens and tell us how far you get. Also, please don’t use WvW as a gauge for how well you do in pvp. They tried their very hardest to make sure that people who are below 80 are still semi viable so it stands to reason anyone can do WvW in merch fodder gear.

yeah so…. that last bit about WvW thank you for proving my point……

and i bet i will do A-OK for a few rounds of the new dungeon and as I do the Dungeon I will Get better and Better Gear OMG!I)#@@ than i wont be in my crappy greens any more makeing me more efective in said dungeon and in WVW

Go me

Arnath.2319

Fool me once…

Sadly my good friend, it is as welcome as yours, on virtue of paying for the game too. I’ll reserve the right to wear my tinfoil hat while you wear your blinders and ignore the unprecedented hundreds of pages in this thread that seem to indicate that the ‘community’ may surprisingly not be just you and your friends.

It’s not about spending time hating, it’s about being extremely disappointed in a policy u-turn which impacts me. It’s selfish and i’m big enough to acknowledge it. I’m happy for the cheerful crowd like you: you’ve got your progression, and another game among dozen where you can enjoy looking at your numbers increasing. For me, and maybe one or two others (i think i saw a couple posts along those lines between the 6000 cheerful posts), it’s back to square one, without a game offering the no-treadmill model. Jealous? Kitten right i am!

I hate gear treadmills, i hate gear progression, i dont care about numbers and stats on my gear.

This is a once off thing, the people crying in this thread are less than 5% of the Guild Wars 2 community.

UnderdogSMO.9428

Can I get back the tokens I wasted buying suboptimal and worthless exotic dungeon items then?

you can use said “worthless” exotic to make your not so “worthless” lagandary

Posted by: PowerGamer.2874

PowerGamer.2874

I’d like to respond to concerns players have raised about ascended items. Please keep in mind that we’re releasing this as one portion of a massive November update that introduces and improves many aspects of challenge, progression, and rewards. With this and upcoming updates, we view ourselves as introducing large amounts of content with supporting systems and features, akin to an expansion pack, building on Guild Wars 2 through a series of live releases. So it’s important for us to be able to add an expansion pack’s worth of progression and rewards to support that content.

Our goal is not to create a gear treadmill. Our goal is to ensure we have a proper progression for players from exotic up to legendary without a massive jump in reward between the two. We will slowly add the remaining ascended gear items and legendary items in future updates to allow people time to acquire them as we add exciting new content that deserves exciting rewards. We will not be adding a new tier of gear every 3 months that we expect everyone to chase after and then get the next set and so on.

Ascended and infusion rewards will be available in both PvE and WvW over time, and be made available through all sorts of content around the world including existing content. PvP will remain unaffected to ensure our intended PvP balance going forward. We are also working on other reward and progression systems for the game that tie into current and new content and features. As you know we care very much about your support and opinion and are listening intently to what you say.

Finally we look forward to hearing your thoughts on the upcoming content, and we will ensure we share our thoughts with you on the experiences we share in the Lost Shores.

Chris Whiteside – Studio Design Director

LOL, is it me or is he actually saying “we don’t want to add gear treadmill but we are adding it anyway”?

Posted by: Nerth.3940

Nerth.3940

This reminds me of an event not so long ago in an MMO created by a company that was considered the best of the best among its fans. Release was smooth, the game was great and the patch 1.2 came. People were up in arms on the forum but what did that company do? Nothing, they went ahead with the patch and everything went downhill from there.

The only thing left of that company is a trademarked name, nothing else. True story. Will I still play the game? Sure, I will because let’s face it, there is no monthly fee to do that but will I invest money into it? No, I won’t because I don’t see the point. Rewarding a snake-oil salesman is a no-no in my book.

Gear-treadmill or no, that’s not the point here. We were promised something different, something special and all we are getting is gear progression. Thanks but no thanks. The moment I will have to do something I don’t want to do to experience content I’m out of here. I’m too old to do something I don’t want just for the sake of it. Life is too short.

I’ve played enough MMOs with gated content and statistical gear improvements and guess what, I’m not playing them anymore.

Cheers for the honeymoon ArenaNet, it was great while it lasted.

Rhyaehar.9504

I hate gear treadmills, i hate gear progression, i dont care about numbers and stats on my gear.

This is a once off thing, the people crying in this thread are less than 5% of the Guild Wars 2 community.

Please learn to read: it is clearly stated in the blog post that it is NOT a one-time thing.

The Future of Items Progression: This is just the beginning. In November, we’re only adding the first level of Infusions and Ascended Rings and Back slots, so that leaves us a lot of room to build upon these levels of Item progression in future content.

Substance E.4852

yeah so…. that last bit about WvW thank you for proving my point……

and i bet i will do A-OK for a few rounds of the new dungeon and as I do the Dungeon I will Get better and Better Gear OMG!I)#@@ than i wont be in my crappy greens any more makeing me more efective in said dungeon and in WVW

Go me

In the upcoming Fractals of the Mists dungeon, we’ll introduce a new monster condition called Agony.

This extremely dangerous condition ticks percentages of player health away and can’t be cleansed by normal means. Players who wish to delve deep into the Fractals will find that Agony makes progress increasingly difficult, until they reach the point where some defense against this condition is a must. The only way to mitigate Agony damage is by building up resistance through Infusions, a new type of upgrade component that can be acquired in the Mystic Forge.

Agony is a staple of the dungeon and can only be countered by ascended gear. You better hope your buddies like rez’ing you because the only thing you will be tackling is the ground.

Posted by: Banquetto.9521

Banquetto.9521

that is exactly what they have done here, add a new tier between Exotic and Legendary, something that was very important to do as this game is dying fast and loosing many players to boredom at level 80.

Uh, wrong, mate. Given that Exotic and Legendary items currently have absolutely identical stats, a tier between them would also have identical stats.

Ascended is not in between Exotic and Legendary. It is above both – and for that reason, Legendaries are being buffed so as not to be outclassed.

Enjoy your workout on the treadmill.

UnderdogSMO.9428

I’d like to respond to concerns players have raised about ascended items. Please keep in mind that we’re releasing this as one portion of a massive November update that introduces and improves many aspects of challenge, progression, and rewards. With this and upcoming updates, we view ourselves as introducing large amounts of content with supporting systems and features, akin to an expansion pack, building on Guild Wars 2 through a series of live releases. So it’s important for us to be able to add an expansion pack’s worth of progression and rewards to support that content.

Our goal is not to create a gear treadmill. Our goal is to ensure we have a proper progression for players from exotic up to legendary without a massive jump in reward between the two. We will slowly add the remaining ascended gear items and legendary items in future updates to allow people time to acquire them as we add exciting new content that deserves exciting rewards. We will not be adding a new tier of gear every 3 months that we expect everyone to chase after and then get the next set and so on.

Ascended and infusion rewards will be available in both PvE and WvW over time, and be made available through all sorts of content around the world including existing content. PvP will remain unaffected to ensure our intended PvP balance going forward. We are also working on other reward and progression systems for the game that tie into current and new content and features. As you know we care very much about your support and opinion and are listening intently to what you say.

Finally we look forward to hearing your thoughts on the upcoming content, and we will ensure we share our thoughts with you on the experiences we share in the Lost Shores.

LOL, is it me or is he actually saying “we don’t want to add gear treadmill but we are adding it anyway”?

“We will not be adding a new tier of gear every 3 months that we expect everyone to chase after and then get the next set and so on.”

no…. no he is not

stof.9341

you can use said “worthless” exotic to make your not so “worthless” lagandary

I’m not aware of any good way to transform some dungeon bought exotic into a legendary. If you mean that I can use it to farm for that legendary, I’d reply that my exotic Magic Find weapon I had before would be more than adequate for that. And let’s not talk about the rare weapon I had even before.

Celle.2716

no. Rewards/outcomes/drops from Leveling, crafting, mapcompletion neither. To run the new dungeon successfully you want to have exotics equipt. The dungeon becomes more difficult further you go.

Posted by: nachtnebel.9168

nachtnebel.9168

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/info/news/A-message-from-our-Studio-Design-Director-Chris-Whiteside/first#post721451

Our Studio Design Director Chris Whiteside just posted this:
“I’d like to respond to concerns players have raised about ascended items. Please keep in mind that we’re releasing this as one portion of a massive November update that introduces and improves many aspects of challenge, progression, and rewards. With this and upcoming updates, we view ourselves as introducing large amounts of content with supporting systems and features, akin to an expansion pack, building on Guild Wars 2 through a series of live releases. So it’s important for us to be able to add an expansion pack’s worth of progression and rewards to support that content.
Finally we look forward to hearing your thoughts on the upcoming content, and we will ensure we share our thoughts with you on the experiences we share in the Lost Shores."

This doesn’t address the concerns of most players, in fact the phrase “We are also working on other reward and progression systems for the game that tie into current and new content and features” scares some of us even more.

I have a few questions I’d like to get a honest answer to:
1. What are you going to indemnify those of us that already own multiple sets of exotic armor and/or used transmutation stones to get the designs they wanted? Will we get our karma, gold, tokens and stones back or will their be a free way to upgrade our current equip to ascended gear?

2. Are you planing to ever modify stats, the level cap or anything else that increases our characters power again? It doesn’t matter if it’s done via a content patch or an expansion pack. Will this ascended gear be that last gear I’ll ever have to get?

3. Can you tell us exactly what you are going to do so that exotics don’t get obsoleted by ascended gear?

4. Why exactly are you using new stats on ascended gear? Why doe they have to be better than exotics?

5. Do you consider changing the ascended gear system to make it just a prefix that can be added to any exotic gear rather easy (aka a 5 minute quest or something like that)?

To me, these questions are very important cause if I don’t like the answers I won’t spend any more money on GW2. If there will ever be higher stats or a higher level cap again and if exotics really are obsolete now, I see no reason to do so since than this game is not different from most other MMOs. It’s fine if you want to go that way, but then please tell us so that we don’t waste our time on a game that is about to change into something we really don’t like.

Salix Babylonica (Necro), Tharnath (Guardian), N Faculty (Mesmer),
Occam Pi (Ele), Acaena Elongata (Warrior), Finja Salversdotir (Ranger),
Bytestream (Engineer), Vim Whitespace (Thief)

(edited by nachtnebel.9168)

Posted by: pregnable.1954

pregnable.1954

I cannot believe what i’m reading lol.
129 pages of QQ without even experiencing the update , it’s like nowadays it’s a hobby to grief. Not even good critisicim , just pointless whining.

Then everyone jumps on the bandwagon and complains too without even knowing what update is in the first place.

Disgusting.

Save you’re wall of texts when you actually play the update through then give it a review.

Why is everyone mad anyways ?
Rare is weaker than Exotic.They just added another gear tier? where’s the big deal?
Seems like some are pretty irritated that they are “Loosing” their exotics.

sigh , humans.

This is because exotic was supposed to be the best gear you could get, so people farmed for lots of different sets to play WvW. They likely even used transmutation stones to get the looks they wanted.

With this update their exotic gear or farmed 42k karma armor will pretty much be trash and they will have to go back to pve to get the new best armor for WvW.

So that and other stuff…

right but only a few updates from this one you will probably be able to earn this new gear in WVW…. as one of the devs has said…..

Yeah… so all karma, mats, and transmutation stones were wasted on armor and weapons that will now be trash… because we were lead to believe they were the best gear in the game…

So now we have to do more farming to get our WvW gear, and it will likely be much faster to get in pve…

The precedent has also been set for that gear to eventually be trash as well… replaced by a future higher tier…

Nope… pretty sure I will just quit the game, depending on what happens with this.

stof.9341

no. Rewards/outcomes/drops from Leveling, crafting, mapcompletion neither. To run the new dungeon successfully you want to have exotics equipt. The dungeon becomes more difficult further you go.

Speculation. And in all cases I don’t need the multiple exotic sets I have to run that dungeon. The first set was enough. The others are wasted money now.

Posted by: Eolan.2584

Eolan.2584

I’d ask a question : What about fun? (http://www.arena.net/blog/is-it-fun-colin-johanson-on-how-arenanet-measures-succes)
As in Guild Wars, I expected something different from most MMOs to make us players play the game. Something different from the kitten boring dungeon progression we see so often. ANet sold us their game by making us believe it was all about a fun factor, not some kind of appetite for suff A>stuff B> stuff C.

I played Guild Wars for years and loved it for many reasons, one being its philosophy about player’s equipement. I appreciated the evolution in Nightfall, where I did get more options of customization, not something really more powerful, I liked the infusion that made me resilient to Mursaats and that being a quest, not a step to access a kitten dungeon of tier 2.

Being inspired by features of other games can be a good thing, but copying them is always a wrong one. Would it be the way ANet will develop Guild Wars 2, I’d stop playing it. I came to this game to get something different as a gaming experience, not to experience the same ways as the other lambda MMOs and their so used set of tools.

Celle.2716

Speculation. And in all cases I don’t need the multiple exotic sets I have to run that dungeon. The first set was enough. The others are wasted money now.

The new items are just required for the new dungeonmechanic. Exotics are not worthless. You can pay the game as before with exotics.

(edited by Celle.2716)