Thoughts on Ascended Gear? [Merged threads]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Arnath.2319

Arnath.2319

I hate gear treadmills, i hate gear progression, i dont care about numbers and stats on my gear.

This is a once off thing, the people crying in this thread are less than 5% of the Guild Wars 2 community.

Please learn to read: it is clearly stated in the blog post that it is NOT a one-time thing.

The Future of Items Progression: This is just the beginning. In November, we’re only adding the first level of Infusions and Ascended Rings and Back slots, so that leaves us a lot of room to build upon these levels of Item progression in future content.

Sigh… people are so stupid…

Re-read what he said, they will add more Ascended items but the stats wont increase, once you have your Ascended Rings and Back Slot from this patch you will never have to upgrade that armour piece ever again!

The only thing that will change is Infusions, they will slowly get stronger, and Infusions are purely a PVE thing! So when the new Infusions come out all you have to do is put it into the slot on your gear.

Then in a few months, years, exspansions from now they will introduce legendary gear that is purely cosmetic for people to aim form.

Posted by: Xyre.5429

Xyre.5429

Most players want some form of progression, what Anet has done is add in a specific type of high end gear built around allowing for horizontal progression. A player gets ascended gear and works on getting the infusions to be able to handle the new content. The infusions(that only ascended gear can use) allows players to deal with “Agony”, a new DoT that is specific for the new content(http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Infusion).

Hopefully 3 months from now we will have more new content and maybe a DoT called “Despair” where you will have to work on getting your ascended gear infused again to be able to delve deeper into the next new content….This is not hard logic to follow…and this system isnt a run of the mill system that anyone would expect for vertical progression…it is too unique, and it leans completely in the direction of what someone would expect out of a system built for horizontal progression.

Doomsayers can take their chances and assume that the A-net team is lying and that this system looks nothing like what would be expected out of a horizontal progression system…however, when what I have stated above ends up being the case, I hope you doomsayers ask yourselves if it was worth coming on the forums, making yourself look silly and being butthurt about an assumption?

no…no it wasnt..so please calm down…

You can hope all you want but you know as much as anyone else so please don’t act as though your completely baseless assumptions are any less likely than other peoples assumptions.

Like I said, be butthurt look silly, I actually sat down and said “Why would they make a system like this?…it is a weird way of getting to some form of vertical progression, but it actually makes sense for horizontal progression, and why would they blatantly lie about this being a form of new horizontal progression?”

The difference between you and I is I am erring on the side of logic and trusting their word, where you are assuming the worst and not even considering why this new system would be put in place.

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

The new items are just required for the new dungeonmechanic. they are not worthless. You can pay the game as before with exotics.

They are worthless. My goal is to get the best stat items in the game. Getting those exotics worked to that goal before, getting those exotics now is just a setback to that goal. With that patch ArenaNet transformed all my recent actions in Guild Wars 2 from “going forward towards my goal” into “walking backwards away from my goal”.

Posted by: rikuharada.3152

rikuharada.3152

Sigh… people are so stupid…

Re-read what he said, they will add more Ascended items but the stats wont increase, once you have your Ascended Rings and Back Slot from this patch you will never have to upgrade that armour piece ever again!

Again, where did he say that aside from giving a specific time frame of 3 months that there wont be a new tier after ascended. Please provide proof to your statement, otherwise stop spreading false information !!!!

Posted by: UnderdogSMO.9428

UnderdogSMO.9428

the problem isnt what there doing now the problem is what they did

ladendarys should have always had better stat’s as there so much harder and take so much longer to get.

exotics should always be and are easy to get.

and there should have always been a middle ground.

and it should end there. and my bet is I could still kill most of the People in this thread complaning about gear treadmills with an exotic even after they have there lagandary.

and that my guild dect out in all exotics could still fight on a competative level in PVE content. it may take us longer than a fully dect out group, but we could do it and still have a blast

Posted by: Celle.2716

Celle.2716

The new items are just required for the new dungeonmechanic. they are not worthless. You can pay the game as before with exotics.

They are worthless. My goal is to get the best stat items in the game. Getting those exotics worked to that goal before, getting those exotics now is just a setback to that goal. With that patch ArenaNet transformed all my recent actions in Guild Wars 2 from “going forward towards my goal” into “walking backwards away from my goal”.

Goals are a good thing. Now you have a new goal. What goals do you have now when your gear is decked out? Legendarys? Senceless grinding for one shiny skin. You can get your exotic gear in less then 5 days, it´s not that much.

Posted by: vox.5019

vox.5019

A few things:

• They did not do what their community was asking. They did what the locusts were asking. The same group that asks for the same thing in every MMO and never sticks around regardless of whether or not it happens.
  • Even at that, this is not a response to any direct feedback, it’s been in the works since before release. This major paradigm shift and abandonment of the core GW ideals was always going to happen, they just panicked and started releasing it early in its unfinished state. Of course they sang a good song making us believe we were getting something completely different.
  • The only things most people in the community were asking for from endgame were bugfixes, more content, and various changes to the event aoe spamfest.
  • Even IF they make Ascended items the same stats as exotics. Or make exotics replace Ascended, the fact remains that if you enjoy high-end challenging content with elite rewards (our elite areas from GW) you are now going to be forced to play a WoW minigame consisting of tiered gear and groups.
  • Their brilliant think outside of the box solution to making us swallow this treadmill was to allow us to play the raid to gear up for the raid. Make no mistake though, if you want the real rewards to be found here once the full Ascended system rolls out, you WILL have to grind out as much Infusion as possible. Infusion in every piece’s bonus stats, and Infusion in every piece’s slot. And when they release a new elite dungeon, you’ll have to do it again.

So no, WvW isn’t the only issue here. Don’t be so shortsighted and accept solutions that only appease the WvW crowd. Because there are a whole lot of us PvEers that fell in love with the GW plateau or bought into it that would still get screwed out of our game too.

This industry just needs to move on. We’ve seen a bunch of “WoW 2.0” attempts, and
who actually wants that? Do we really want to be playing those same game mechanics for
another 5 or 10 years? -Mike O’Brien

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

ladendarys should have always had better stat’s as there so much harder and take so much longer to get.

and it should end there. and my bet is I could still kill most of the People in this thread complaning about gear treadmills with an exotic even after they have there lagandary.

and that my guild dect out in all exotics could still fight on a competative level in PVE content. it may take us longer than a fully dect out group, but we could do it and still have a blast

If they did this the game would have sold a fraction of what it did…..
Legendaries are almost impossible to get (not only for the precursors etc).

They milked the cow and now they are changng rules….hoping it won t hurt them….

Well its crystal clear this will hurt them and us so much they don t even have the idea…..

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

Posted by: Majic.4801

Majic.4801

If there’s one thing the rampant confusion in this thread proves beyond all doubt, it’s that ArenaNet is doing a poor job of keeping its player base adequately informed about significant changes to the game.

Clear, unambiguous communication is their responsibility, and I pray they get batter at it.

“Not the same, real and true. True you feel inside.
Always follow what is true.” — Sentry-skritt Bordekka

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

Goals are a good thing. Now you have a new goal. What goals do you have now when your gear is decked out? Legendarys? Senceless grinding for one shiny skin.

I don’t have a new goal. I was calmly walking toward my first goal in the game, I was nearly at the end, like, it was just a couple steps away. And then out of nowhere a wild ArenaNet appeared and gave me a “go back to start do not pass go” card along with a swift kick to the balls just to mark how much of a jerk they are.

And that was just the first goal I had obviously. If I had no other goals, I’d be bored. Once I get the max stat items, I can work on the cosmetic parts. Although I like the later much, there’s no sense going after them in a subobtimal order. Farming for looks first, then farming for stats that would have made all that farming faster isn’t the right way to do it. But now, all that received a big setback.

I am not pleased.

UnderdogSMO.9428

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/info/news/A-message-from-our-Studio-Design-Director-Chris-Whiteside "We will not be adding a new tier of gear every 3 months that we expect everyone to chase after and then get the next set and so on.

Ascended and infusion rewards will be available in both PvE and WvW over time, and be made available through all sorts of content around the world including existing content. " this

Good lord shut up people it willbe in WVW it will be in old content

and there not planing on adding much more content like this.

And when will it be? You could get the best Items by all the different ways the game offers. Now U HAVE to farm a stupid dungeon and nothing but that. Everything else is completley worthless. Old Dungeons, crafting, lower maps etc….

Oh no, i have to play the game, oh what ever will i do i cant get the best gear right away QQ QQ QQ

maybe im just bios because i smack players around in PVP with my low level gear already and i role in a Guild thats not so overly obsessed with gear to do high level hard content.

Cool beans, try the new dungeon in your fly greens and tell us how far you get. Also, please don’t use WvW as a gauge for how well you do in pvp. They tried their very hardest to make sure that people who are below 80 are still semi viable so it stands to reason anyone can do WvW in merch fodder gear.

yeah so…. that last bit about WvW thank you for proving my point……

and i bet i will do A-OK for a few rounds of the new dungeon and as I do the Dungeon I will Get better and Better Gear OMG!I)#@@ than i wont be in my crappy greens any more makeing me more efective in said dungeon and in WVW

Go me

In the upcoming Fractals of the Mists dungeon, we’ll introduce a new monster condition called Agony.

This extremely dangerous condition ticks percentages of player health away and can’t be cleansed by normal means. Players who wish to delve deep into the Fractals will find that Agony makes progress increasingly difficult, until they reach the point where some defense against this condition is a must. The only way to mitigate Agony damage is by building up resistance through Infusions, a new type of upgrade component that can be acquired in the Mystic Forge.

Agony is a staple of the dungeon and can only be countered by ascended gear. You better hope your buddies like rez’ing you because the only thing you will be tackling is the ground.

as I said I will fight as long as i Can get the gear i need to make it fether than fight some more

and other than being made in the Mistic Forge do we know what mats we will need to make said Infusions. probably get it by fighting in the lower area’s of the new dungeon. and mabby added to other content as well

Posted by: Tyrilha.3087

Tyrilha.3087

We will not be adding a new tier of gear every 3 months that we expect everyone to chase after and then get the next set and so on.

How to sound reassuring but not being so.
The fact that they said every 3 months doesn’t mean they are not going to do it in 6…9…12 months

I’m very pessimistic about how GW2 will look in a year or two.
What’s next on the menu ?
Level Cap raised to 90 in future paid expansion(s) ?
After all, once you break your own Golden Rules, the worse can be expected.

Pleas prove me wrong Arena Net

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

Most players want some form of progression, what Anet has done is add in a specific type of high end gear built around allowing for horizontal progression. A player gets ascended gear and works on getting the infusions to be able to handle the new content. The infusions(that only ascended gear can use) allows players to deal with “Agony”, a new DoT that is specific for the new content(http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Infusion).

Hopefully 3 months from now we will have more new content and maybe a DoT called “Despair” where you will have to work on getting your ascended gear infused again to be able to delve deeper into the next new content….This is not hard logic to follow…and this system isnt a run of the mill system that anyone would expect for vertical progression…it is too unique, and it leans completely in the direction of what someone would expect out of a system built for horizontal progression.

Doomsayers can take their chances and assume that the A-net team is lying and that this system looks nothing like what would be expected out of a horizontal progression system…however, when what I have stated above ends up being the case, I hope you doomsayers ask yourselves if it was worth coming on the forums, making yourself look silly and being butthurt about an assumption?

You can hope all you want but you know as much as anyone else so please don’t act as though your completely baseless assumptions are any less likely than other peoples assumptions.

Like I said, be butthurt look silly, I actually sat down and said “Why would they make a system like this?…it is a weird way of getting to some form of vertical progression, but it actually makes sense for horizontal progression, and why would they blatantly lie about this being a form of new horizontal progression?”

The difference between you and I is I am erring on the side of logic and trusting their word, where you are assuming the worst and not even considering why this new system would be put in place.

No what you are is hoping that it won’t be as bad as all that. They haven’t given you a binding legal document vowing to not do vertical progression. You are just coming to that conclusion on your own and calling anyone who doesn’t agree with your “logic” butthurt apparently.

Gut instinct =/= logic. Logic is based on facts and established precedent. The precedent is that they are giving in to people who minmaxed and then complained about the lack of content and the fact is that they added in a whole new level of gear to combat the stagnation. If they truly cared about pure horizontal progression this could have easily been done by either creating an infusion system similar to GW1 as these sound so alike I can only assume that the Mursaat will be returning in some form. Or, they could have given us a new item slot that we could use to interchange an ever growing pool of infusions thereby creating a whole new level of character customization and outfitting independent of our armor or weapons.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

(edited by Substance E.4852)

Xyre.5429

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/info/news/A-message-from-our-Studio-Design-Director-Chris-Whiteside "We will not be adding a new tier of gear every 3 months that we expect everyone to chase after and then get the next set and so on.

Ascended and infusion rewards will be available in both PvE and WvW over time, and be made available through all sorts of content around the world including existing content. " this

And when will it be? You could get the best Items by all the different ways the game offers. Now U HAVE to farm a stupid dungeon and nothing but that. Everything else is completley worthless. Old Dungeons, crafting, lower maps etc….

Oh no, i have to play the game, oh what ever will i do i cant get the best gear right away QQ QQ QQ

maybe im just bios because i smack players around in PVP with my low level gear already and i role in a Guild thats not so overly obsessed with gear to do high level hard content.

Cool beans, try the new dungeon in your fly greens and tell us how far you get. Also, please don’t use WvW as a gauge for how well you do in pvp. They tried their very hardest to make sure that people who are below 80 are still semi viable so it stands to reason anyone can do WvW in merch fodder gear.

and i bet i will do A-OK for a few rounds of the new dungeon and as I do the Dungeon I will Get better and Better Gear OMG!I)#@@ than i wont be in my crappy greens any more makeing me more efective in said dungeon and in WVW

Go me

In the upcoming Fractals of the Mists dungeon, we’ll introduce a new monster condition called Agony.

This extremely dangerous condition ticks percentages of player health away and can’t be cleansed by normal means. Players who wish to delve deep into the Fractals will find that Agony makes progress increasingly difficult, until they reach the point where some defense against this condition is a must. The only way to mitigate Agony damage is by building up resistance through Infusions, a new type of upgrade component that can be acquired in the Mystic Forge.

Agony is a staple of the dungeon and can only be countered by ascended gear. You better hope your buddies like rez’ing you because the only thing you will be tackling is the ground.

It is countered by infusions not the ascended gear…if you were wearing all ascended with no infusions you would not have any resilience to agony…“The only way to mitigate Agony damage is by building up resistance through Infusions, a new type of upgrade component that can be acquired in the Mystic Forge.”

Should get your facts strait if you are going to correct someone.

Posted by: IonicBlaze.7948

IonicBlaze.7948

We will not be adding a new tier of gear every 3 months that we expect everyone to chase after and then get the next set and so on.

The fact that they said every 3 months doesn’t mean they are not going to do it in 6…9…12 months

I think that trend wont stop. For me they sold their soul with this patch.

The spirit of Guild Wars died on Nov. 13 2012. R.I.P.

Posted by: Hermes.7014

Hermes.7014

So if I get this right… you need the infusion stuff anyways or no one will take you for the new dungeons?
Seems like something encouraging elitist behaviour.

“omg no infusion gear??? /kick”

Whether something is either wrong or right, someone will always complain about it.

(edited by Hermes.7014)

Posted by: Garylcp.8936

Garylcp.8936

“Here’s what we believe: If someone wants to play for a thousand hours to get an item that is so rare that other players can’t realistically acquire it, that rare item should be differentiated by its visual appearance and rarity alone, not by being more powerful than everything else in the game. Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games — we leave the grind to other MMOs.”
-Mike Obrien, President of Arenanet

Fun impacts loot collection. The rarest items in the game are not more powerful than other items, so you don’t need them to be the best. The rarest items have unique looks to help your character feel that sense of accomplishment, but it’s not required to play the game. We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills, we make all of it optional, so those who find it fun to chase this prestigious gear can do so, but those who don’t are just as powerful and get to have fun too.”
– Colin Johanson

It is obvious GW2 has gone the way of grindfest and intends to be a WoW clone, all of which we are promised will not happen in this game. The end game suffered due to a lack of level 80 farming areas (only CS is pure level 80) and good dungeons, requiring skill and not better stats). Fans who had tons of fun farming Kanasai’s sword, Victo’s Bulwark and Obsidian Armor, should know how huge, expansive and challenging GW1’s dungeons can be.

The end game did not suffer due to a lack of better items (with better stats) to grind for. Being a long time fan, I lament the loss of massive dungeons and the time it took to grind my soon to be obsolete exotic items.

I will not be surprised if someone files a suit for misrepresentation just like Mass Effect 3 and asks for a refund.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2012/03/19/fan-makes-ftc-complaint-over-mass-effect-3-ending-but-it-wont-hold-water/

For me, I am just going to quit this game if there is going to be a new equipment class. I shall not waste another 2 months grinding this game. It is a chore!

Posted by: scerevisiae.1972

scerevisiae.1972

The only thing that will change is Infusions, they will slowly get stronger, and Infusions are purely a PVE thing! So when the new Infusions come out all you have to do is put it into the slot on your gear.

They could have simply made rune sets with agony resistance.

But they didn’t do that, they deliberately decided to introduce a gear grind instead.

downed state is bad for PVP

Posted by: Cutterslaine.2689

Cutterslaine.2689

Give us a way to upgrade our exotics to Ascended armor (keeping their skin) and I dont think many would complain.

Posted by: DaveNic.5098

DaveNic.5098

I don’t like the idea of this ascended gear rubbish at all. I didn’t buy the game to spend hours grinding through dungeons against ridiculously over-powered enemies i bought it to enjoy the open world environment, join in events, explore and generally have fun. Add new areas of the map for us to explore by all means but not a new even more evil type of dungeon with added agony just so people can show off how much tedium they can put up with!

Substance E.4852

Go me

It is countered by infusions not the ascended gear…if you were wearing all ascended with no infusions you would not have any resilience to agony…“The only way to mitigate Agony damage is by building up resistance through Infusions, a new type of upgrade component that can be acquired in the Mystic Forge.”

And those infusions can only be put in ascended armor. Ergo, you need ascended armor to do the new dungeon.

Try following your own advice.

Xyre.5429

No what you are is hoping that it won’t be as bad as all that. They haven’t given you a binding legal document vowing to not do vertical progression. You are just coming to that conclusion on your own and calling anyone who doesn’t agree with your “logic” butthurt apparently.

Gut instinct =/= logic. Logic is based on facts and established precedent. The precedent is that they are giving in to people who minmaxed and then complained about the lack of content and the fact is that they added in a whole new level of gear to combat the stagnation. If they truly cared about pure horizontal progression this could have easily been done by either creating an infusion system similar to GW1 as these sound so alike I can only assume that the Mursaat will be returning in some form. Or, they could have given us a new item slot that we could use to interchange an ever growing pool of infusions.

FACT: They have stated they are not going to do vertical progression
FACT: This new “need specific infusion to counter agony in new content” is a weird way to go about a form of vertical progression.
FACT: “Assuming” the worst in any situation and being butthurt over it is silly.
FACT: Get butthurt when you have the facts…

Posted by: veritech.1048

veritech.1048

These new changes are not a part of the game that I bought.

If this change goes through, Anet can expect to not have me as a customer.

Cutterslaine.2689

They could have simply made rune sets with agony resistance.

But they didn’t do that, they deliberately decided to introduce a gear grind instead.

They havent done that because it will cost you real money in transmutation stones unless your lucky to get the look you want for your armor.

Posted by: Ganzo.5079

Ganzo.5079

i want to point my finger to the wiki now:

Infusion is a type of upgrade component for equipment with an infusion slot. Currently, only Ascended equipment have infusion slots available. Infusions are acquired through the Mystic Forge. Infusion provides an inherent resistance to the Agony condition.

source:http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Infusion

now reading this, im thinking that the defensive and offensive bonus provided by infusion is not only related to dungeons! because the infusion bonus have an INHERENT resistance to agony!
So not only exotics gear become obsolete, but also runes and sigils!

Because, like Guild Wars before it, GW2 doesn’t fall into the traps of traditional MMORPGs.
It doesn’t suck your life away and force you onto a grinding treadmill"
LOL

Posted by: Aaron.4807

Aaron.4807

Arenanet buff´s the dungeonrewards also i think, bacause they are NOT stupit and throw there dungeons out of the window.

Can I get back the tokens I wasted buying suboptimal and worthless exotic dungeon items then?

no. Rewards/outcomes/drops from Leveling, crafting, mapcompletion neither. To run the new dungeon successfully you want to have exotics equipt. The dungeon becomes more difficult further you go.

That is not the point. A lot of us have now wasted tons of hours in game running dungeons because we thought it was getting us the top tier in armor. In other words, we thought it was time well spent for a good reward. Anet has now told us that time means nothing and we will have to waste more time in just ONE dungeon with a kitteny mechanic that sucks in every other game that uses it to grind for the max gear now. kitten that. Why would Anet basically destroy 8 dungeons worth of content!? Don’t they realize no one will ever do those dungeons again?

Wrekks/Wrekts

Posted by: Turan.6810

Turan.6810

Hey everybody,

I didn’t read the whole thread, I just want to express my opinion on this topic.

I am a more casual player, my main isn’t full exotic yet and I have an alt on the way to 80. One of the main selling points of GW2 for me was, that I can hit max level and obtain some proper gear for all the content immediately (I think rare fits for all). Then I can work towards the best gear in game (exotic until now) but still I never have the presure to catch up with my friends just to do some content with them.

Now with ascended gear the situation will change. Suddenly there is a situation where my rare gear won’t fit for some content, I am forced to get ascended gear to do specific content with my friends.
I have been playing “traditional” MMOs for years now and I am just fed up with this constant pressure to keep up with everybody else just to experience new content. I don’t need a constant motivation to keep me playing, I really do it for fun.
And I think the majority of the playerbase feels the same, especially all GW1 vets.

Don’t get me wrong, I am very happy about new content, although I didn’t experience half of the old content yet. There is still plenty to do for me but some variety is always welcome. I appreciate the work of the whole Anet team.
But this type of further gear progression (even if minimal) is a huge letdown for me. This is not, what I came for to GW2.

The infusions are already worrying a bit, but I can live with it as long as it is obtainable for everyone and does not take hours and days to achieve. (Still I think, it is not necessary, won’t make content harder once you have your infusions).
But imo the increase in stats is against all that was promised for GW2 and against all that “we” came for.

I just imaging, in let’s say four months, I get another alt to 80 or I come back from a longer break due to RL. Then my friends tell me “Hey, let’s go to dungeon xy” and I am like “Sure, I’ll come with you.”
And then there is this little thing about the gear. “Sry bro, you need at least this and that piece of gear to survive, we can’t take you with us.”

This is exactly the situation I never want to run into again in a MMO and this made me so happy about GW2, it should never happen in this game…. until next week? :/

edit: I forgot to mention, at some point I would love to test different builds which propably will require different gear. Right now, this wouldn’t be that difficult or expensive, but what about the future?

(edited by Turan.6810)

Celle.2716

Give us a way to upgrade our exotics to Ascended armor (keeping their skin) and I dont think many would complain.

Transmutation? You don´t have to get these Ascended items. Dungeons now, are easy as hell with exotics. You dump down the content for yourself. Ascended armor is not required to play the game. Had never harmode gear in WoW as example.

Xyre.5429

Go me

And those infusions can only be put in ascended armor. Ergo, you need ascended armor to do the new dungeon.

“Agony is a staple of the dungeon and can only be countered by ascended gear.”

You need infusions that can only be placed in ascended armor, the armor itself means nothing without the infusions…

Posted by: DOW Mageski.2097

DOW Mageski.2097

Or just bring ascended down to exotics, in stats, and have infussion be a gem, rune and sigil. Then we can equip it on our exotic, and people who want the new look of ascended can still aim for that gear.
That adds new gear for people, without it being a gear treadmill. So basically staying true to what GW2 should be like. It is a pity we have to now grind to get the next level of armour. I feel like my hard work to get exotics was for nothing.

Please Anet, remove the stats from your ascended gear and let is upgrade exotics with infussion.

#OccupySAB2014 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Forgotten Vanguard [TFV], a 18+ great guild. On the Gandara server.
Join. http://forgottenvanguard.enjin.com/

Posted by: Hermes.7014

Hermes.7014

But… if the ascended gear is acquired in the new dungeon and you need ascended gear to use infusions and without infusions you can’t get rid of the agony condition in the dungeon… isn’t it a bit paradoxical?
It’s like saying… go through this room filled with lethal gas first and after that you can get a gas mask. :S

Whether something is either wrong or right, someone will always complain about it.

Cutterslaine.2689

Transmutation? You don´t have to get these Ascended items. Dungeons now, are easy as hell with exotics. You dump down the content for yourself. Ascended armor is not required to play the game. Had never harmode gear in WoW as example.

You maybe never had it but I “chose” to have it crafting it for my characters.

Posted by: gwawer.9805

gwawer.9805

To the people who are saying “I didn’t buy this game to grind dungeons I just wanted to stroll about in the world and do my thing and enjoy dynamic events la la la”…

Are you actually doing that? Are you actually going back to zones and re-experiencing the events and the world? Or is this just an ideal that you wish you could do, but never actually could get yourself to do?

Maybe this is why Anet is being flexible now with their original philosophy, because they see that despite their own ideals of having players go out into the world and just “having fun” people simply don’t do that anymore.

Posted by: Ravina Gray.4719

Ravina Gray.4719

GW1 ascended was nothing like this you went to a place.. did a thing and the guy infused your current armor giving you some resistance to a certain kind of mob no stat benefit at all.

Anet philosophy afaik has always been to turn away from the traditional format and not become just another clone – multiple paths to the same goal so players can play the game however they want and still arrive at the same place gearwise was a core part. This change just 3 months in… 3 months in is a complete reversal of that it seems to me… and I’m pretty disappointed in them.

Legendary which was supposed to be difficult is being turned into a scavenger hunt and players will be forced into dungeons and for what… all to placate the WoWesq forum QQing.

A bridge between Exotic and Legendary fine but it needs multiple paths to achieve to live up to the “play the game however you want” billing.

There are people who will always rush ignore the majority of content to get to the best there is and then complain how they have nothing to do! ANet will never make them happy. And rather than bust a gut trying by rushing out new content how about fixing exsisting in-game problems (like Arah being bugged more often than it’s active). As a subscription free model there is no problem imo in expecting paid expansions.

Posted by: Pants.8315

Pants.8315

The reason he said three months was because Guild Wars 2 has been out for what..1…2…3 months!

Stop over thinking everything, and spreading baseless doom mongering.

Posted by: Kangee.7890

Kangee.7890

OMG! After this patch people can get extra 45 stats total! It’s sooo imbalanced. And a infusion too, that will make everyone do this new dungeon even easier. And even worse, in a few months they might add this to the amulet and armbands too, and it will be 90 stats! And noone is gonna have exotic accesories, everything will be obsolite and everyone is just gonna treadmill all day. Poor WvW too, they will easily be pray of people with 45 more stats! Everyone will only be able to do this new stuff. How can a company even add new stuff too a game, it’s outrageous.

(edited by Kangee.7890)

Posted by: Conner.4702

Conner.4702

Gut instinct =/= logic. Logic is based on facts and established precedent. The precedent is that they are giving in to people who minmaxed and then complained about the lack of content and the fact is that they added in a whole new level of gear to combat the stagnation. If they truly cared about pure horizontal progression this could have easily been done by either creating an infusion system similar to GW1 as these sound so alike I can only assume that the Mursaat will be returning in some form. Or, they could have given us a new item slot that we could use to interchange an ever growing pool of infusions.

FACT: This new “need specific infusion to counter agony in new content” is a weird way to go about a form of vertical progression.
FACT: “Assuming” the worst in any situation and being butthurt over it is silly.

FACT: It’s a gear treadmill as it requires new gear with new upgrades
FACT: They stated they will add new infusions, which will require a new grind
FACT: Gear treadmill = Gear treadmill. Doesn’t matter if it is vertical or horizontal.
FACT: They said they would not put in a gear treadmill
FACT: They stated they wanted everyone to be able to do all content, which is impossible when you add gated content

Substance E.4852

I love how pointing out basic facts while telling people that their ideas that the worst won’t happen is just a possible as the idea that the worst will happen means I’m flipping kitten and getting butthurt. If the simple idea of disagreeing with what you are saying equals being butthurt then I feel sorry for you.

Posted by: ASB.4295

ASB.4295

They might even do that, but what’s to say you won’t have to grind as long or longer to upgrade your exotics? And when the next infusion set is released and they give you a way to farm your way to upgraded t2 ascended, you’ll still have to ask yourself: “Is this the last time I have to pass the finish line?”

That’s what it comes down to. Invalidating/devaluing our achievements and the loss of trust in ANet that they would never ever do this kind of thing.

UnderdogSMO.9428

If they did this the game would have sold a fraction of what it did…..
Legendaries are almost impossible to get (not only for the precursors etc).

They milked the cow and now they are changng rules….hoping it won t hurt them….

Well its crystal clear this will hurt them and us so much they don t even have the idea…..

pleas most of the people that kitten about the game ((even propel that still play it)) say that no the lack of progression sucks. I am not a huge fan of game’s that only focus on gear progression but that’s not to say I dislike it, it all depends on paceing and how steep that progression is ((See D3 VS Torch Light 2))

there has always been gear progression in this game from 1 to 80 and thats about the only type, because god knows Levels mean jack kitten. ((its all about gear, trates and skill points in this game…))

progression in GW2 isnt vary steep. but it needs work on its Paceing. thats what this patch is addressing

that said were there putting legandarys at… no content should go over that for a vary long time

Celle.2716

To the people who are saying “I didn’t buy this game to grind dungeons I just wanted to stroll about in the world and do my thing and enjoy dynamic events la la la”…

Are you actually doing that? Are you actually going back to zones and re-experiencing the events and the world? Or is this just an ideal that you wish you could do, but never actually could get yourself to do?

Maybe this is why Anet is being flexible now with their original philosophy, because they see that despite their own ideals of having players go out into the world and just “having fun” people simply don’t do that anymore.

Well said.

Posted by: IV Endu.8920

IV Endu.8920

Man I’m pretty sure you’re all a bunch of whiny kittenes.

Anet is doing everything they can to make the game fun and you’re all making assumptions and having negative attitudes towards everything they do.

Cutterslaine.2689

Or just bring ascended down to exotics, in stats, and have infussion be a gem, rune and sigil. Then we can equip it on our exotic, and people who want the new look of ascended can still aim for that gear.
That adds new gear for people, without it being a gear treadmill. So basically staying true to what GW2 should be like. It is a pity we have to now grind to get the next level of armour. I feel like my hard work to get exotics was for nothing.

Please Anet, remove the stats from your ascended gear and let is upgrade exotics with infussion.

Works either way, totally agree with you.

Posted by: Amulrei.4973

Amulrei.4973

As long as these are as easily obtained in wvwvw, I am fine.

They won’t be in WvW at all come patch launch.

Celle.2716

Anet is doing everything they can to make the game fun and you’re all making assumptions and having negative attitudes towards everything they do.

As usual. The “whining” go´s away, lets say 1 or 2 weeks after the patch. It was always a Storm when Arenanet announced a change.

Weeks later, nobody cares.

Posted by: Tiborb.1453

Tiborb.1453

Works either way, totally agree with you.

Nope, they have to scrap the infusion idea at all.
Ascended mess is not only a matter of stats, but with infusion they will add gated content, wich is bad too.

[LOCK] The Closed Society – Seafarer’s Rest

Substance E.4852

Go me

“Agony is a staple of the dungeon and can only be countered by ascended gear.”

You need infusions that can only be placed in ascended armor, the armor itself means nothing without the infusions…

Haha, that’s all you have? seriously? Rather than argue my point you have to resort to arguing how I stated it? Sure I’ll concede, you don’t need ascended gear to do the dungeon. What you need is infusions. They, of course, can only be placed in ascended gear to actually have any effect what so ever. But hey, maybe you can get some Tyrian velcro and stick it to your non-pink gear. It’s worth a shot.

Posted by: MrLee.6892

MrLee.6892

QFT so many people are over-reacting.

So glad it’s not like this in game!

Though if these “people” where in game playing then they wouldn’t be here in the forums complaining. It seems like they are not happy with the game anyways.

Cutterslaine.2689

They might even do that, but what’s to say you won’t have to grind as long or longer to upgrade your exotics? And when the next infusion set is released and they give you a way to farm your way to upgraded t2 ascended, you’ll still have to ask yourself: “Is this the last time I have to pass the finish line?”

That’s what it comes down to. Invalidating/devaluing our achievements and the loss of trust in ANet that they would never ever do this kind of thing.

To be honest I wouldnt care if it took me longer to it this way, It means the hours I put into getting exotics through collection farming and crafting wouldnt be flushed down the toilet.

I would feel better if my existing armor could be enhanced without changing the skin i also spent money and time collecting.

I mean why should we pay again for transmutation stones to convert my T3 cultural or Vigil armor skins across to a different armor type?

Posted by: MrLee.6892

MrLee.6892

FACT: It’s a gear treadmill as it requires new gear with new upgrades
FACT: They stated they will add new infusions, which will require a new grind
FACT: Gear treadmill = Gear treadmill. Doesn’t matter if it is vertical or horizontal.
FACT: They said they would not put in a gear treadmill
FACT: They stated they wanted everyone to be able to do all content, which is impossible when you add gated content

FACT: If you don’t like it you can go play Guild Wars 1