Thoughts on Ascended Gear? [Merged threads]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Xpiher.5209

Xpiher.5209

I personally is looking forward to a new dungeon. And the new gear. Cant see what the fuzz is all about if people dont want to grind DONT do it. Stop kittening and whining like little kids lol.

The problem here is that someone with a full set of ascended will have quite higher stats. For example 1000+ hp, 5%+ crit chance, 30%+ crit damage. Those are examples but over all each piece will give you 8% more stats. When some items are over 100 stats already that 8% is massive in power boost. This is what people dont realize. In order to stay useful you will have to grind.

Well, the fact of the matter is that you can’t know that. I’m not saying that it’s impossible that we will have to grind, but I’m saying that it’s possible that we don’t have to grind. I mean everyone here says that GW2 is about enjoying the journey, playing for fun and all that. What if the recipes for the ascended gear will only require things you get from having fun playing the game? I mean exotic gear right now is pretty much grindy, and people expect a new gear tier to be more of the same. What if this new gear tier is the developers way of remedying for their mistakes with the grind involved in the acquisition of exotic gear?

There are multiple ways of approach to this new patch; either you assume the worst, assume the best, or you wait and see what the developers have in mind.

This new tier is being put in so gear grinders have something to grind. According to how they have covered it this new gear is going to take time. More so than exotic’s, and less than legendary’s in order to try to hold off the content locust. So by that we can assume its infact not easy to get this gear, and will infact be time consuming in order to grind it out.

They stated that the tier is between exotic’s and legendaries, correct. But you must remember that there’s a big difference in the acquisition of legendaries and exotics. For legendaries, you need to grind every part of the game. For exotics, you need to grind one part of the game. Their goal could very well be to eliminate the grind that exotics require by spreading it out across all aspects of the game (like legendaries).

Which forces me to grind content i do not want to do. Any way you look at it is a massive time sink into content you may not like. I have dabbled in about everything out there. I personally do have area’s i will not touch ever again. If it forces me into these area’s i will leave. Thing is im not alown here. A large core of players will do the same thing.

But the main selling point of GW2 end game was that the entire game was the end game. Isn’t it logical then that the rewards for experiencing the end game covers all of it? And I know that you will say that the reward for experiencing the end game is fun, but the previous reward was actually exotic gear, but the acquisition of exotic gear is flawed since it didn’t cover the entire end game. And I have to ask another thing, is doing a dungeon once considered grinding?

Actually the main selling points was no gear grind. Top end gear available from every area of the game. You could do any part of the game but were not forced into any part of it. It was always known that highest stat gear would be easy to get as thats not the reward. The reward was the hard to get skins. Frankly hard to get skins are still exactly that. Thats why not everyone is in t3 culture gear and wielding legendary’s.

This, but we need a real answer to the question: is ascended gear the final tier?

Posted by: xtorma.1283

xtorma.1283

What else is kinda sad is that some folks spend rl money on transmutaion stones to get thier armor looking just the way they like it because they thought they had the final tier completed.

so if they have 0 transmutation stones left. they have to buy 10 more in order to get thier look back, because they only come in sets of 5 and you need 6. So not only did they add stats, but they added a potential gold/rl cost to upgrading as well.

Sneaky stuff there

Baron Irongut – Warrior-

Posted by: Urxx.6840

Urxx.6840

I don’t see people saying LFGM with ascended gear only anytime soon

Not anytime soon because they are just introducing rings and back items atm, but it will happen eventually when there will be people in full ascended gear and agony and other conditions which require infusions will be widespread.

But by then the downward spiral will be in place and it will be too late to save GW2 from decadence.

People don’t even say that about exotic gear

Currently there isn’t any condition that can’t be cleansed and requires a specific tier to be countered. Again, when conditions / mechanics that require infusions will be widespread, things will chage. mark my words, if ANet doesn’t retract from this ascended mess.

Posted by: cherrie.8907

cherrie.8907

I didn’t know so many people playing this MMO would rather jump ship from a great game because of a new and improved gear… I understand many of the points made… But I still don’t get it.

It’s not super super important to me to have the best of the best, but I happen to get a full exotic set which is the best so far… I was actually a little disappointed at how easy it was to obtain. I got the same gear almost every level 80 has who didn’t just hit 80 yay? I don’t see people saying LFGM with ascended gear only anytime soon, People don’t even say that about exotic gear or could probably point out that dude using a rare set instead of exotic. Guild wars “life” will go on weather you get this set or not.

Well to each his own I ain’t trying to bash y’all who are horrified for more tiers of gear even if I did a bit? I’m just flustered about how much rage a new rare armor is creating.

I welcome this new armor, maybe I won’t once it shows up but I have no idea what it will be or how hard it will be to get. Which intrigues me.

Bring it on!

It’s not such a “great” game for everyone.
Some people focus on the story, and really, it’s sub-par. You get more interesting and deep things happening out in the world than in the story, it’s flat and… well, that’s a different subject.

The game does not have in-game support but more importantly, there is no reimbursement or restoration policy. You gert hacked or you loose money and time because a bug that is the developer’s fault, but you need to suck it up.

PvP is a disappointment for a lot of people.

Cosmetic system is extremely sub-par and trust me, that’s a big thing for a lot of people, too.

Dungeon mechanics are sub-par too for many.

Etc etc etc. i don’t want to elaborate further but the game is not the Messiah of MMO and is not unanimously great.

There are also not too many unique features to this game, but the one thig that was truly remarkable and revolutionary – and that completely set GW2 apart from other games – was the lack of vertical gear progression. This has indeed made the game great for a lot of us, was the selling point, was the bribing point when we made our friends try it.

I’m happy for you if you don’t mind gear progression.
But I hate it, it made me leave every MMO I played, in the end. I bough GW2 specificity because it lacked vertical progression and it weighted out all the other things I dislike about GW2. In the end, I feel scammed and on top of that, betrayed by the company I’ve trusted so much as to pre-purchase their product based only on their promises of what it will be. Which they now have broken.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike Obrien
“We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills” -Colin Johanson

Posted by: fmeister.3945

fmeister.3945

Here are some of my problems, and other people probably feel the same way.

In gw1 you hit max level pretty early and get max gear pretty fast. After that you just farm for custom skins.

Gw2 was sold to us as the same type of thing.

So, I had planned on leveling 1 of each class to level 80 and buy them all multiple sets of exotic gear and weapons. Then I was going to mostly play them in WvW and then sometimes explore pve for fun and skins, as new content came out.

A lot of people had already gotten far enough to make lots of sets of exotics and used transmutation stones, believing that this gear would have max stats forever. Some spending a fair amount of money on this and now feel it was wasted and are upset.

The problem now is that the precedent has been set for new tiers of gear being added into the game.

I no longer believe that I will be able to level all classes to 80 and get all of the different sets of gear for them in the time that I want to spend with the game.

Even if I decided I could live with this new gear and filled the inventory of my characters with lots of different sets of gear for WvW, they could then just decide to add a new tier of gear and all my time would have been semi wasted and I would need to farm new gear. I would never be able to trust that my gear had the best stats and I would never use transmutation stones either.

So, pretty much, with this update, the game will no longer be the game that I wanted to play and I will have to quit.

For me to play the way I had planned on playing the game would have to have a firm max tier, or, WvW will have to use pvp gear… or both.

Exactly my thoughts. Thanks for this post. English isn´t my native language so I couldn´t have said it better.

(edited by fmeister.3945)

Posted by: rikuharada.3152

rikuharada.3152

People don’t even say that about exotic gear

Currently there isn’t any condition that can’t be cleansed and requires a specific tier to be countered. Again, when conditions / mechanics that require infusions will be widespread, things will chage. mark my words, if ANet doesn’t retract from this ascended mess.

Actually, I already saw it. Back when dungeons still can be exploited, I saw a couple “LFG with full exo gears to do Arah FAST run” in Orr

Posted by: Nar.8327

Nar.8327

What else is kinda sad is that some folks spend rl money on transmutaion stones to get thier armor looking just the way they like it because they thought they had the final tier completed.

so if they have 0 transmutation stones left. they have to buy 10 more in order to get thier look back, because they only come in sets of 5 and you need 6. So not only did they add stats, but they added a potential gold/rl cost to upgrading as well.

Sneaky stuff there

Yep. And if you had planned to use in-game currency, I suggest you buy them now. When ascended armor and weapons hit the deck, the gem price is going to skyrocket because of these things.

Urxx.6840

Sneaky stuff there

Not only that. A lot of casual players compensated their lack of time with real money and bought their exotics via gems -> gold.

They did that because ANet always gave the impression that exotics would never be surpassed in power.

Now the real money those casuals have spent on exotics will be more and more wasted as ascended gear creeps into the game and forces you to upgrade if you want to experience an increasing amount of new content that requires infusions.

Posted by: E Tan.7385

E Tan.7385

I personally is looking forward to a new dungeon. And the new gear. Cant see what the fuzz is all about if people dont want to grind DONT do it. Stop kittening and whining like little kids lol.

The problem here is that someone with a full set of ascended will have quite higher stats. For example 1000+ hp, 5%+ crit chance, 30%+ crit damage. Those are examples but over all each piece will give you 8% more stats. When some items are over 100 stats already that 8% is massive in power boost. This is what people dont realize. In order to stay useful you will have to grind.

Well, the fact of the matter is that you can’t know that. I’m not saying that it’s impossible that we will have to grind, but I’m saying that it’s possible that we don’t have to grind. I mean everyone here says that GW2 is about enjoying the journey, playing for fun and all that. What if the recipes for the ascended gear will only require things you get from having fun playing the game? I mean exotic gear right now is pretty much grindy, and people expect a new gear tier to be more of the same. What if this new gear tier is the developers way of remedying for their mistakes with the grind involved in the acquisition of exotic gear?

There are multiple ways of approach to this new patch; either you assume the worst, assume the best, or you wait and see what the developers have in mind.

This new tier is being put in so gear grinders have something to grind. According to how they have covered it this new gear is going to take time. More so than exotic’s, and less than legendary’s in order to try to hold off the content locust. So by that we can assume its infact not easy to get this gear, and will infact be time consuming in order to grind it out.

They stated that the tier is between exotic’s and legendaries, correct. But you must remember that there’s a big difference in the acquisition of legendaries and exotics. For legendaries, you need to grind every part of the game. For exotics, you need to grind one part of the game. Their goal could very well be to eliminate the grind that exotics require by spreading it out across all aspects of the game (like legendaries).

Which forces me to grind content i do not want to do. Any way you look at it is a massive time sink into content you may not like. I have dabbled in about everything out there. I personally do have area’s i will not touch ever again. If it forces me into these area’s i will leave. Thing is im not alown here. A large core of players will do the same thing.

But the main selling point of GW2 end game was that the entire game was the end game. Isn’t it logical then that the rewards for experiencing the end game covers all of it? And I know that you will say that the reward for experiencing the end game is fun, but the previous reward was actually exotic gear, but the acquisition of exotic gear is flawed since it didn’t cover the entire end game. And I have to ask another thing, is doing a dungeon once considered grinding?

Actually the main selling points was no gear grind. Top end gear available from every area of the game. You could do any part of the game but were not forced into any part of it. It was always known that highest stat gear would be easy to get as thats not the reward. The reward was the hard to get skins. Frankly hard to get skins are still exactly that. Thats why not everyone is in t3 culture gear and wielding legendary’s.

This, but we need a real answer to the question: is ascended gear the final tier?

But think about it, they (Anet) explicitly said that they wont make gear treadmill like any others mmo ( legendary weapons have the same stat as exotic )
Now they come here to say : we fill the gap between exotic and legendary…
Exotic and legendary = same stat, now ascended have higher stat, so that mean they are going to boost legendary to make them higher than ascended…. wth !?

It just make, in the first place no sence at all since its a 100% gear treadmill

Second, now, how can you really believe them, when they said that they are not going to start again every 3months adding new tiers more powerfull. And each time boost the legendary !?

In 3 months its gonna be what ? :" Hey folks we have a so cool idea, we want to fill gap between ascended and legendary, we making aviable the super-ascended via a dungeons twice more painfull as the fractal one was.. "

etc etc.

No No No.

Its a bit like a drug addict who quit taking drug. All know, if he take drug once he is going to fall down again into that kitten.
Gear treadmill, is the same thing. Start once and its over….

“we leave the grind to other MMOs.”
Mike Obrien
Legen – Wait for It – dary joke

Posted by: Falcon Night.4653

Falcon Night.4653

Don’t really understand the big deal here, sort of like some of the posters in this thread:
You need ascend gear to do Fractals of the Mist, ok.
You need to do Fractal of the Mists to get mats for Mystic Forge for RNG to get Revanant gear, for Dungeons of Light, ok.
You need to complete Dungeons of Light to get Wildheart Rainment/Beaststalker Armor/Magister’s Regalia to complete Blackrock Depths, ok
You need to complete Blackrock depths to equip 24 of your friends with Felheart Rainment/Beastmaster Armor/Socerer’s Rainment to complete Heart of Fear, ok.
I really do not see a problem.
My Druid would really look cool in the Felheart gear. And I’m thinking of speccing Balance. But might also put a few points in Restoration depedning on whether my guild needs more healers or DPS.

These are not the droid you are looking for, move along… → ESO, FireFall, NW :)

Urxx.6840

Don’t really understand the big deal here, sort of like some of the posters in this thread:
You need ascend gear to do Fractals of the Mist, ok.
You need to do Fractal of the Mists to get mats for Mystic Forge for RNG to get Revanant gear, for Dungeons of Light, ok.
You need to complete Dungeons of Light to get Wildheart Rainment/Beaststalker Armor/Magister’s Regalia to complete Blackrock Depths, ok
You need to complete Blackrock depths to equip 24 of your friends with Felheart Rainment/Beastmaster Armor/Socerer’s Rainment to complete Heart of Fear, ok.
I really do not see a problem.
My Druid would really look cool in the Felheart gear. And I’m thinking of speccing Balance. But might also put a few points in Restoration depedning on whether my guild needs more healers or DPS.

Nice sarcasm sir
/applaud

Posted by: deSade.9437

deSade.9437

Sneaky stuff there

That’s what I did a few days ago. And now I feel like an idiot. Oh… wait. I am. Just transmuted my useless T3.
Yeah, I…. I’m pretty sure I wont be so naive in the future.

Attachments:

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

its more the fact that:

I just finished equipping my character so now i am able to do what i want….

Tomorrow i will be forced to farm for equip again……and once i finish that will come another patch that forces me to play what THEY want and not what I want.

If a new friends come to this game (thing that will never happen because from now on i will discourage all my freinds to do that*) he would be forced to close a HUGE gap in order to play with me, when before he just needed to get exotics thar are quite easy toobtain, after he will need something more grindy…..to play the “skill game” and not the “stat game”.

From a sad customer that since a week ago told many people how good this game was ….
WAS……..
I now feel so ashamed to have dragged few friends here….

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

(edited by LordByron.8369)

Posted by: xelynruk.6983

xelynruk.6983

You’re correct in most of your post, but your last paragraph doesn’t deal with the problem.
People bought the game because they were promissed and reasurred that the game will offer X and will let go of the Y trend of MMOs. Really, skim them thread, multitude of people say this was one of the most important selling point for them.

Now, just after 3 months, when they managed to invest time, effort and real money into the game, they are getting informed that the game will no longer offer X, but Y.

We don’t want to wait and see how ANet will implement gear treadmill, becaue we don’t want gear treadmill, why is it so hard to understand?
It doesn’t matter how you name it, how slow you implement it – that’s not what we bough, not what we paid for. If we wanted treadmill, we’d go to other games that offer it.

The last paragraph is relevant to the “problem” in that this game is new and the direction in which is headed isn’t set in stone. No one really wants to chase after stats every three months. Anet has stated that a treadmill is not their intention. We won’t know the difference until they actually do.

While it’s fine to protest the periodic addition of gear tiers to the game, it’s not acceptable to refuse an update that may or may not set a precedent for future updates. We simply do not have enough information to judge Anet one way or another at this point, and proof by intimidation is not proof at all.

Posted by: Mik Hell.8206

Mik Hell.8206

I would be glad if ANet could answer one question:

Is Ascended tier going to be the last to be introduced or we will see Ascended 1, Ascended 2, 3 and so on?

Even if “filling the gap” sounds like an excuse on ANet’s side, anyone can make mistakes, but if this is only the beginnning of a tier system…

Well then all they said in the manifesto, all their declarations are nothing but a bunch of lies and I will not play a game made by liers.

Posted by: Masaki.2153

Masaki.2153

Honestly, at this point, since they are going to change their core principals to cater to fickle WoW gear grinders, I can’t wait to watch this come back and bite them.

Posted by: mordred.4610

mordred.4610

pretty much sums it up.

Attachments:

cherrie.8907

The last paragraph is relevant to the “problem” in that this game is new and the direction in which is headed isn’t set in stone. No one really wants to chase after stats every three months. Anet has stated that a treadmill is not their intention. We won’t know the difference until they actually do.

While it’s fine to protest the periodic addition of gear tiers to the game, it’s not acceptable to refuse an update that may or may not set a precedent for future updates. We simply do not have enough information to judge Anet one way or another at this point, and proof by intimidation is not proof at all.

They were advertising a cherry flavoured bar with no peanut content.
But after we ordered our cherry bars, what we end up getting are peanut bars. Some people really can’t take peanuts, you know. And in some countries / areas what they’ve done is not only of doubtful moral quality, it’s illegal.

Yes they said the treadmill is not their intention, at the same time saying they will, with time, introduce more powerful items, just not every three months. Maybe every four or six. So yeah, they’ve already set a precedence for future gear updates.
They might want to name it whatever they want but it doesn’t change a single thing.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike Obrien

Posted by: Antonio.1270

Antonio.1270

Today there are some rings. Tomorrow will be the accessories, in a few months or years will complete sets dresses for fat panda level 90. Welcome to the start of the World of Charrcraft.

Good job Linsey Murdock, u can go back to Stormwind.

Urxx.6840

What you and a lot of other poeple don’t understand is that even if ascended gear is the first and last tier they add after release, they have already made a whole class of gear obsolete, they have already ignored the time and effort and in some cases real money people put on exotics based on their stated phylosophy of horizontal rather than vertical progression.

It takes only one betrayal of trust to damage your reputation and alienate customers from then on.

For me, in 7 years I play ANet games, I’ve never seen them do anything like this, I don’t care how slowly they will introduce ascended gear or how difficult it will be to acquire. What I care about is they led the community to believe exotics would never be surpassed in power, people invested in exotics based on that, and that’s not the case anymore.

Will exotics become completely useless all of a sudden? Of course not. It will take time before one will be able to have full ascended sets. But it’s still a step in a very wrong direction, because eventually those exotics that according to them should never have been surpassed will in fact be obsolete. Eventually, teams who do an increasing amount of new content requiring infusions, won’t invite those who aren’t equipped with full ascended gear.

This isn’t the ANet I got to know and love, which would go out of their way to keep their promises. This is a new ANet I don’t like, and I can’t trust anymore.

(edited by Urxx.6840)

Posted by: Psyduck.4701

Psyduck.4701

Please abort the ascended item plans or at most, keep them only with those accessories. Having exotics as top tier items is quite enough, really.

Posted by: Spryt.8012

Spryt.8012

I would be glad if ANet could answer one question:

Is Ascended tier going to be the last to be introduced or we will see Ascended 1, Ascended 2, 3 and so on?

Even if “filling the gap” sounds like an excuse on ANet’s side, anyone can make mistakes, but if this is only the beginnning of a tier system…

Well then all they said in the manifesto, all their declarations are nothing but a bunch of lies and I will not play a game made by liers.

More likely to be;

Infusion → Infusion critical mitigation → Infusion critical bonus mitigation → Infusion resists → infusion condition resists → Infusion critical condition resists → and so on…

Posted by: Shunsui Jiraiya.9103

Shunsui Jiraiya.9103

Anyone else consider that Michael Morhaime could have kidnapped Mike O’Brien and has him locked in stockades?

Maybe Linsey Murdock is acting to prevent kittens being drown?

Possibly Chris Whiteside is saying things to appease a new race of alien oppressors?

Until we get a honest and transparent answer on why stat increase’s are being introduced we cannot rule out the above.

-Mike Obrien, President of Arenanet

Posted by: jibs.8463

jibs.8463

I still don’t understand why we need higher stats on the ascended gear. Isn’t it enough to have an ascended slot where you can put the new stuff to prevent Agony in?

I mean, a few more points of stats is not enough to appease those who want significant upgrades, and it really offends others who bought into the whole “no gear grind” that Anet was advertising.

This is a lose-lose situation for sure.

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

The point is if they will go on, not only the game but their personal reputation will get a huge hit.

When a game is announced many people say “oh well the game is made by that guy who cheated their customers with dubious ethic on GW2” as much as for gw2 we said “cool that game was made by those guys famous for their good ethic model on GW1”

And that untrust is not something that remains between few players…..

They won t be able to hype a game putting their name near the title, on the opposite, people will run away scared…..

To OP they need better stats as a ……………….“reward” ROFL

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

Posted by: Kandrick.8054

Kandrick.8054

Having originally chucked my toys out of the pram about gear treadmills and all that guff I have had time to think it over and am now of the attitude – wait and see.
I have certainly already had more than my moneys worth out of the game. It’s new content so new stuff to do. If I feel it’s not for me then that is unfortunate but Anet have to steer the course of the game in the direction they think best for the majority of the users. Only time can tell if that was a wise path or not, until then I am just going to enjoy the new content.
I thought the Halloween event was exceptional and I have no reason to believe that the Lost Shores event will be any less. I am looking forward to the event now and will weigh up the pros and cons of the changes when I come to it and make my mind up then if it is for me or not.

Posted by: Daendur.2357

Daendur.2357

I think this is the greatest problem:
(for a lot of players)

Attachments:

Black Thunders [BT] – Gandara

Urxx.6840

I thought the Halloween event was exceptional and I have no reason to believe that the Lost Shores event will be any less. I am looking forward to the event now and will weigh up the pros and cons of the changes when I come to it and make my mind up then if it is for me or not.

I thought halloween was exceptional and don’t expect Lost Shores to be any less, because ANet is blessed with exceptionally talented individuals who love games and put that extra effort to make their game the best they can.

That makes this terrible decision about ascended gear even more sad.

Posted by: Ahm.3952

Ahm.3952

Right… so I’m getting incresingly dissapointet at Anet.
When I played the game the first few hours I thought it was quite abit away from what I imagined would sprout from the creators of my top game Gw1. But I thought, “they’ll see eventually, and fix things up”. I see now that they probably won’t.
Sad thing is that this game could have been the monster that pulled millions of players in because of its novel approach, but instead it seems it will be the bunny that tries to immitate the behemoth game “which shall not be mentionend”.
Crossroads:
Here’s what I wanted from Gw2: lvl 1-20 in starterzone, no more lvls, top tier gear. The rest of the game opened up for further character progression via skills (and player skill), gear adjustments, incresingly diffucult AI, differing gamemodes and challanges, missions, continuously deepening mechanics (reintroduce elemental/physical dmg/resistance etc.), engaging rpg elements and so forth. Possibilities are neerly endless, if you care to think only slightly “out of the box”.

Here’s what I’m getting from Gw2 development: Vertical progression through the game, eg lvl1-80. Fine, I’ll play along, perhaps there’s some sence in this in the end. Sadly though; Ooops! people are 80 now. Didn’t see that one comming… We don’t have the time/ingenuety/hindsight/foresight to create greatness, sooo what did all the other mmorpgs do?
You didn’t quite deliver the game promised in the first place, and that’s ok, few do. But by the gods, DO stick with what you wanted to create in the first place, and Do Not go down that overly used road. (Lineage 3 anyone?)

And please!? “Here’s a new challenge for the players, and here’s the gear to make it easier”… What future is there in that kind of development? Think new/updated content/development, and take gear and grind out of the equation, and you might just stike gold.
Aside from that I find many valid points in the nay-sayers posts, and have yet to see a yay-sayer which I could relate to (but I am of course absurdly biased ).
The makeshift bandaid press-release thing form yesterday sadly only prooved my concerns.
Sum up: Take the alternative road Anet, the one you are treading won’t bring neither you nor I any happiness.

Posted by: Cactus Brawler.7415

Cactus Brawler.7415

They had the perfect end game, get your exotics of the right stats and then farm for looks, either through pvp, karma or dungeon runs. then if you ever changed your mind about your stats and roll, or just wanted a change in looks, do it again.

All they needed to do was keep releasing new skins with each content pass to give people something to run for, but no instead they are apparently buffing legendary’s to make them better than exotics, and adding a new set of better than exotic gear.

Perfect end game becomes yet another gear treadmill, well done.

Posted by: Shunsui Jiraiya.9103

Shunsui Jiraiya.9103

Last few points to re emphasize before I go to work:

I want new elite skins for the looks not for more numbers.

I want challenge’s through interesting mob skills and tactics not through more numbers.

I want more content to play because its fun, not to get more numbers.

I want to feel epic because of the story, aesthetic, titles, achievements and hard fought victory’s not because I get more numbers.

I remember speaking to dev’s at the various roadshows and they told me the same.
I remember watching video’s over 5 years and the devs told us the same.
I remember reading blogs over 5 years and they wrote the same.

-Mike Obrien, President of Arenanet

Posted by: Pants.8315

Pants.8315

But after we ordered our cherry bars, what we end up getting are peanut bars. Some people really can’t take peanuts, you know. And in some countries / areas what they’ve done is not only of doubtful moral quality, it’s illegal.

Yes they said the treadmill is not their intention, at the same time saying they will, with time, introduce more powerful items, just not every three months. Maybe every four or six. So yeah, they’ve already set a precedence for future gear updates.
They might want to name it whatever they want but it doesn’t change a single thing.

No they haven’t.

not ever three months

How long has Guild Wars 2 been out…3 months!

Now look back at the sentence. They are saying, yes the game has been out 3 months and we are adding a new tier of gear to bridge a gap we left in original release, that doesn’t mean in another 3 months or more we aren’t going to be adding new tiers of gear.

They are effectively acknowledging that the game’s been out three months, but they aren’t setting a precedent by adding this set now. It’s a one time only deal.

Posted by: Randomdark.8709

Randomdark.8709

Also picked up by Eurogamer this moring:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-11-15-guild-wars-2-players-upset-at-the-apparent-arrival-of-an-end-game-armour-grind

ArenaNet’s explanation for Ascended gear boiled down to ‘hardcore players have run out of ways to progress’ – the sort of reasoning we’ve heard elsewhere before.

Posted by: Webba.3071

Webba.3071

No they haven’t.

not ever three months

Now look back at the sentence. They are saying, yes the game has been out 3 months and we are adding a new tier of gear to bridge a gap we left in original release, that doesn’t mean in another 3 months or more we aren’t going to be adding new tiers of gear.

They are effectively acknowledging that the game’s been out three months, but they aren’t setting a precedent by adding this set now. It’s a one time only deal.

Seriously hope you are right. In any case, shouldn’t we all be playing the game right now to see what the patch is really like?

Xpiher.5209

I still don’t understand why we need higher stats on the ascended gear. Isn’t it enough to have an ascended slot where you can put the new stuff to prevent Agony in?

I mean, a few more points of stats is not enough to appease those who want significant upgrades, and it really offends others who bought into the whole “no gear grind” that Anet was advertising.

This is a lose-lose situation for sure.

EXACTLY!!!

Urxx.6840

No they haven’t.

not ever three months

You know, if from the very beginning they had said there would be a further tier of rarity which whould include the unique possibility to equip infusions and counter otherwise uncounterable conditions, then it would be a rather different situation.

Investing on exotics before that tier was implemented in the game would have been an informed decision.

But like this…. this is a betrayal of our trust.

Posted by: Ballistic.4531

Ballistic.4531

I pretty much have to say the same things as others. It’s a disgrace! Big fat disgrace!

I’m wondering since Ascended is higher tier than exotics and since Legendaries will be stronger (stat-wise) than exotic/ascended, why is Legendary made from Exotic weapons? With this new “mid-tier” shouldn’t the receipe be changed to create Legendary from Ascended? I won’t really be surprised if they really do that. Nothing can surprise me from them anymore.

They said “no new tiers every 3 months”. But they also said “no gear grind”. I’m expecting new tier in mid-february.
As others have stated: I can’t trust Anet anymore, after they lied to me in the face!

This world needs more people being frank and less people being offended.

Cactus Brawler.7415

No they haven’t.

not ever three months

There is no gap.

Exotics and Legendary’s have the exact same stat values, the only difference is a visual one, Legendary’s have extra fancy skins that is all and it was great like that.

Xpiher.5209

No they haven’t.

not ever three months

It doesn’t say that. It leaves them room to change their mind either way. Ascended gear or requiring Ascended with the upgrades for new content is gear treadmill.

Pants.8315

There is no gap.

Exotics and Legendary’s have the exact same stat values, the only difference is a visual one, Legendary’s have extra fancy skins that is all and it was great like that.

The gap in the investment required to acquire said items, time, resources etc. Currently Exotic items require a fairly small investment, where as Legendary items require a monumental investment.

Ascended items are presumably intended to fill the investment gap between the two. i.e. they take a while longer to get than exotics, but not as long as Legendary items.

Urxx.6840

The gap in the investment required to acquire said items, time, resources etc. Currently Exotic items require a fairly small investment, where as Legendary items require a monumental investment.

Ascended items are presumably intended to fill the investment gap between the two. i.e. they take a while longer to get than exotics, but not as long as Legendary items.

You can still do that by giving infusion slot(s) to exotics. The time investment to get infusions would still be significant without making exotics obsolete.

But no, they had to break their word.

Pants.8315

No they haven’t.

not ever three months

It doesn’t say that. It leaves them room to change their mind either way. Ascended gear or requiring Ascended with the upgrades for new content is gear treadmill.

It’s a gear step. A treadmill implies it’s continuous. No where have they stated they will be adding anything beyond Ascended gear. In fact they explicitly said they were not intending to keep adding better tiers of gear.

Urxx.6840

It’s a gear step. A treadmill implies it’s continuous. No where have they stated they will be adding anything beyond Ascended gear. In fact they explicitly said they were not intending to keep adding better tiers of gear.

They had led us to believe exotics would never be surpassed in power. Why do you trust them this time?

Posted by: Ballistic.4531

Ballistic.4531

So in 3 months we will get new tier, Intense gear which are introduced to fill the gap between Ascended and Legendary. These Intense one will take longer than Ascended but less than Legendary.

And then in another 3 months we will get Primal filling the gap between Intense and Legendary… Rince and repeat…

This world needs more people being frank and less people being offended.

Posted by: toomuchtatose.6874

toomuchtatose.6874

To repeat what others have been saying, please quote where did ANet says no more new tiers?

Until then, we can only stay pessimistic since the balls are in their court, not ours.

Cactus Brawler.7415

There is no gap.

Then why do they have better stats than Exotics then?

If it is a matter of time invested, then simply have them necessary for progression into the new dungeon depths, depths where visually unique to the depths of the dungeon armour and weapons drop.

Posted by: Deathdance.2045

Deathdance.2045

No they haven’t.

not ever three months

In fact it was explicitly said they werent adding new “steps” on armors. Dont go claming things when you just want them without stating the first one, as as promised they made, they broke it.

This is not about items but promises, i played wow and i asumed that kind of atitude, i knew what kind of game i was playing at, here, they sold a kind of game play and now, they are breaking it.

Posted by: Chrissle.8690

Chrissle.8690

They had the perfect end game, get your exotics of the right stats and then farm for looks, either through pvp, karma or dungeon runs. then if you ever changed your mind about your stats and roll, or just wanted a change in looks, do it again.

All they needed to do was keep releasing new skins with each content pass to give people something to run for, but no instead they are apparently buffing legendary’s to make them better than exotics, and adding a new set of better than exotic gear.

Perfect end game becomes yet another gear treadmill, well done.

There´s one flaw in your philosphy about only farming for looks though. Imagine a new dungeon coming out. Only new looks on the dungeon sets, not better stats. 50% of the player base likes the looks, 50% hate them. What incentive do the 50% that hate the looks of the new armor have to do the content? What ANet is trying to do is cater to all kinds of gamers, not just one kind. I´m not saying either way is better than the other but most of the posts I see in this thread is like this “waaah waaah mommy they are not doing what I want. How can they be so mean to me. I´m gonna quit this game and tell all my friends that they shouldnt play it anymore. Am I doing good mommy? waah waaah”. Kinda like that. Not all of you are like that but majority that I have read in this thread. =)

Posted by: Buttercup.5871

Buttercup.5871

First of all: I am not a fan of a gear-grind either. I had recently bought a second exotic set, this time with karma (240k karma), on the assumption that it would remain the best gear. I was wrong.

However.

I have played Guild Wars 1. Having played that game, I know that the Underworld was such a huge success, for years and years and years, because it was actually HARD. You could lose something when you entered (1 gold entry fee). You could be ruthlessly kicked out if the party died. But if you succeeded, it was rewarding. It really was. It had some cool, exclusive stuff.

I have played a few dungeons in Guild Wars 2, and all of them are simply not that difficult if the entire group is max geared. So in this respect, I applaud Anet for their efforts to introduce an “Underworld” kind of dungeon. Something worth exploring, something that is increasingly difficult, but which is ultimately rewarding.

The only major problems that I see with the new “ascended gear” are:

- the negative effects on crafting (however, if players will be allowed to upgrade existing exotic gear to ascended gear, and if they will be allowed to add an infusion slot to existing exotic gear – with mats from the new dungeon – this could remedy the inevitable crash of large parts of the market);
- the inevitable emptying of the majority of Tyria (which crashes the concept of DE’s), and, perhaps most importantly
- WvW. As Anet stated, PvP should be on equal terms. WvW, of course, is PvP, especially if you like skirmishing away from the “zerg”. When fighting 1 vs 1, you want to know that, at the very least, you’re on equal footing with your opponent, and that you didn’t win/lose because you had better/worse gear.

If the above concerns are/have been addressed, I am positive that the Lost Shores will be a huge success.

cherrie.8907

Haven’t they? I believe they have:

The Future of Items Progression: This is just the beginning. In November, we’re only adding the first level of Infusions and Ascended Rings and Back slots, so that leaves us a lot of room to build upon these levels of Item progression in future content.

-Mike Obrien