Thoughts on Ascended Gear? [Merged threads]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: phooka.4295

phooka.4295

However the gear isn’t needed to do the content which is the biggest fear: I have to gear up to do new content!! I dont have the time etc etc. This is in fact false you dont need the gear for the new content.

While it might be technically true that if I’m lucky, I’ll get all nine fractals randomly presented before I’ve been in long enough that it requires the new stuff, there will be a point at which I will have to have it or I’m excluded from that dungeon. And if I’m not lucky, that point may come before I’ve seen all nine fractals.

Furthermore, while it may be true that I can enter the dungeon without infusion, I cannot enter the dungeon without infusion to help friends with infusion who want the advanced experience available after enough runs that requires infusion. If I join them with fewer runs under my belt than them, I’m doing to equivalent to porting them from Orr to Queensdale.

Posted by: Profano.9514

Profano.9514

Ok you take one group with 36% more stats over all due to having full sets of new gears/weapons vs another group that does not have that stuff….

Tell me, who will win in pure numbers?

Oh you say it’s only 2 rings and a back slot, silly! Then I point out they explicitly said they are not only adding a full set with accompanied weapons but ALSO with mutiple ‘tiers’ and more legendaries on top of that.

So now you want to not play and not be left behind in stats or gear… oh dear… C’mon if you dont play the gae for 3 months or whatnot ofc you will be left behind, thats perfectly normal and expected…

This game becomes Gear Wars, just like that other game and all it’s clones.

That would be a no thank you for me.

They said it in their announcement post that the gear wouldn’t all be released at once. The only ascended gear being released today is a piece or two…. ill go back and read maybe ive been up to long and im off my rocker o.O. But if they release say 2 pieces every 3 months….. the situation you outlined above is really not gonna happen because most will go after the new pieces.

Most who are at the level cap, who have full sets of good gear (rare or exotic), who enjoy dungeons, who want to grind for Ascended gear (which based on their reasoning will be more difficult than exotics, less than legendary), and who have the privilege to play the game over the next couple months.

Anyone who does not fall into ALL of those categories will be left behind.

Look… If you expect to NOT play this game and still be on par with everyobne your having a pipe dream. I cant beleive that anyone would egnuinley think that would be acceptable. If you dont play the game EXPECT to be l eft behind its perfectly natural. This smacks of people who want everything but dont want to put the effort in.

“It all gets back to our basic design philosophy. Our games aren’t about preparing to have fun, or about grinding for a future fun reward. Our games are designed to be fun from moment to moment.”
Mike O’Brien
President and Co-Founder of ArenaNet
Executive Producer of Guild Wars 2

And this is true. The game will still be fun from moment to moment. It still doesent mean u can not play for 3 months and remain at the same level as everyone else.

“So if you love MMORPGs, you should check out Guild Wars 2. But if you hate traditional MMORPGs, then you should really check out Guild Wars 2. Because, like Guild Wars before it, GW2 doesn’t fall into the traps of traditional MMORPGs. It doesn’t suck your life away and force you onto a grinding treadmill; it doesn’t make you spend hours preparing to have fun rather than just having fun; and of course, it doesn’t have a monthly fee.”

Mike O’Brien
President and Co-Founder of Arena Net

Does that mean I can have my money back if I wanted, if they go down this progression route?

Sadly no.

Actually – yes.
If you purchased directly from Arena Net.

I did … Excellent. I’m even more interested now to see how this unfolds.

Sure, with +300 gameplay hours … you want your money back lol … oh please take this chupachups -.-

The Sleeping Bard [TSB] | The Bard, http://bit.ly/1GSrsZu

Posted by: Xpiher.5209

Xpiher.5209

A big thing pointed out is that they are releasing MORE of this gear later (right now it is only the accessory and back slots). This means that the Agony condition is going to be present in a LOT more content. It is easy to expect that this bleeds to WvWvW otherwise why would PvP players ever find the need to get it? Why would it even be allowed to drop in WvWvW if it wasn’t expected for them to use it at some point? Just so they could run 1 dungeon? For the hardcore PvPers, they wouldn’t care, so providing it to them means they are planning to implement it in ALL aspects of the future content. A gear set dedicated just so people can go into 1 dungeon? C’mon, they’re going to do more than that, so the people claiming that this gear will be made mandatory for endgame are absolutely right in saying so.

I don’t care if they use Ascended gear in new content, I care if they use it and compound the increase of stats and resistences. If new content is released, but uses a new type of Agony resistance that you find in that dungeon then its not treadmill. If its the same type and simply better than what we got out of FOTM dungeon then its treadmill.

Posted by: Drunken Mad King.8193

Drunken Mad King.8193

Can we have an official answhere?I think that at this points guys, the game don’t come back to their phylosophy.Why you are here only to delete post like mine before and don’t give us a real answhere?

They aren’t going to come on here and speak about it. They are just going to jam this system down the throats of their customer base and see the effect on it’s customer base and revenue stream. If it’s too negative of an effect they will back track.

Don’t expect much from them as far as communication and honestly don’t believe much that comes from them. They haven’t been upfront about this and I doubt they ever will.

Posted by: cherrie.8907

cherrie.8907

Can we have an official answhere?I think that at this points guys, the game don’t come back to their phylosophy.Why you are here only to delete post like mine before and don’t give us a real answhere?

Read this http://www.guildwars2hub.com/guides/basics/complete-guide-fractals-mists#.UKT2QkeP4Po.reddit

Full breakdown in new mechanics

Yes, it seems great! /sarcasm off

All party members will need to be located in Lion’s Arch within the same shard.
Indeed, an improvement over normal dungeoning, since Guesting is till not implemented and no ETA either. So cool, since I usually could have at least dungeoned with my friends from different servers.

However, the scale set for your overall group will always be set to that of the team member with the least progress. (…) This will be important to keep in mind when forming groups, and you will likely see requests in /map chat for players with a minimum difficulty scale.
Not like I didn’t expect that. So actually it will be “LF1M min diff 30 2x versatile Simple Infusion, link trinkets in PM”!

Cool. Just what I always wanted.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike Obrien
“We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills” -Colin Johanson

Posted by: Sennar.2309

Sennar.2309

They aren’t going to come on here and speak about it. They are just going to jam this system down the throats of their customer base and see the effect on it’s customer base and revenue stream. If it’s too negative of an effect they will back track.

Don’t expect much from them as far as communication and honestly don’t believe much that comes from them. They haven’t been upfront about this and I doubt they ever will.

No they are fraud people.In all of this years if you see blog post, interview etc no one tell that they will introduce this kitten.If i saw that they will do one day, i will not buy Gw2.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike Obrien

Posted by: Namu.5712

Namu.5712

Hows it more difficult? Are there different mechanics? No, the only change is that the dot you get is stronger does more damage…. it doesn’t take anymore or less skill then before only difference is you neekittenigation stat.

There’s a logic jump in your argument. You were arguing that the mitigation is not necessary, and now you are saying “agony is not that bad if you have enough mitigation”

Yes but to mitigate agony I need ascended gear. The need to mitigate agony is exactly what makes ascended gear a necessity for those who want to progress beyond a certain point of the Fractals.

In other words, you are locked out of what lies beyond that point unless you have ascended gear.

Q.E.D.

When you first do the new content you dont need ascend gear. If you keep repeating the content then that dot gets stronger.

Which means you don’t need the gear to do the content. But if you continue to repeat it over and over and over you will eventually need the gear to mitigate the dot.

That is what they say for the info on the new gear and dungeon.

So how does that devalue your exotic gear when the new gear is not even required unless you are repeating the content over and over again for the sake of personal progression? It doesn’t, is the simple answer.

Now the WvW issue, is a legitimate concern because as gear gets more powerful (assuming the continue the trend) then you do have to grind for new gear to remain competitive in WvW…… however that can be solved with scale which pretty much solves all problems.

Casuals get to do all the new content at their own whim.

Progressive pve type players get to do their dungeon over and over again and get new stats for their pve and that dungeon.

And WvW players get to pvp it up with exotics being the stat cap.

So let me know where AN has let people down. Because what I see is them trying to respect what they said, while trying to cater to another type of player and that is the gear chaser while not interfering with players that dont like gear progression.

Your not locked out of anything…. its the same content…. its like doing level 1-10 on a character in a zone… then making another character and going to the same zone and leveling 1-10 only now it has mechanic that gives a dot to you…. then you do it again level 1-10 same zone same exact content as the first time only the dot is a tad stronger doing more damage…….. repeat until the dot is so strong that you need a stat to mitigate it. The content is the same, the only thing that changes is the dot as you repeat the content.

(edited by Namu.5712)

Posted by: FaultWeeyam.4302

FaultWeeyam.4302

A big thing pointed out is that they are releasing MORE of this gear later (right now it is only the accessory and back slots). This means that the Agony condition is going to be present in a LOT more content. It is easy to expect that this bleeds to WvWvW otherwise why would PvP players ever find the need to get it? Why would it even be allowed to drop in WvWvW if it wasn’t expected for them to use it at some point? Just so they could run 1 dungeon? For the hardcore PvPers, they wouldn’t care, so providing it to them means they are planning to implement it in ALL aspects of the future content. A gear set dedicated just so people can go into 1 dungeon? C’mon, they’re going to do more than that, so the people claiming that this gear will be made mandatory for endgame are absolutely right in saying so.

I don’t care if they use Ascended gear in new content, I care if they use it and compound the increase of stats and resistences. If new content is released, but uses a new type of Agony resistance that you find in that dungeon then its not treadmill. If its the same type and simply better than what we got out of FOTM dungeon then its treadmill.

It’s gating content. It’s the same thing like back at WoW, where those without a certain gear score or a certain resistance level could not experience content. It’s the same principle, the stats and the infusion stat are regarded here as gating mechanics

Nobody’s completely useless; they can always serve as a bad example

Posted by: Pants.8315

Pants.8315

Read this http://www.guildwars2hub.com/guides/basics/complete-guide-fractals-mists#.UKT2QkeP4Po.reddit

I don’t need a guide to new dungeon, i’m an 6 years old player of Gw1, following gw2 whit every blog post, interview etc, and no one devs of arenanet said that they will introduce this time of progression whit gear.In gw1 you don’t need to to dungeon for equip against a condition whit some better gear than the outhers dungeons.We are more people here against this kitten meccanics, you think that we are all stupid and we can’t learn and read somethings about this?

I think perhaps you do need to read it, it’s actually quiet interesting.

Also, please spell check, punctuate, and format your posts. Your post reflects your statement “i’m an 6 years old player”…

Edit:Typo.

(edited by Pants.8315)

Posted by: Never.6014

Never.6014

“Here’s what we believe: If someone wants to play for a thousand hours to get an item that is so rare that other players can’t realistically acquire it, that rare item should be differentiated by its visual appearance and rarity alone, not by being more powerful than everything else in the game. Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games — we leave the grind to other MMOs.”
-Mike Obrien, President of Arenanet
Fun impacts loot collection. The rarest items in the game are not more powerful than other items, so you don’t need them to be the best. The rarest items have unique looks to help your character feel that sense of accomplishment, but it’s not required to play the game. We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills, we make all of it optional, so those who find it fun to chase this prestigious gear can do so, but those who don’t are just as powerful and get to have fun too.”
– Colin Johanson

What happend? Countless people play GW2 because they believed in ANet und GW2.
This not the case anymore. That’s what has happened.

Almost. Two possibilities:
1. Ascended gear was in the plans from the get-go and they didn’t have time to implement it before launch, so we’re getting it now and it will be the last and only stat increase they ever do. The problem then lies with communication, which we already know they suck at right now.

2. This is the first of multiple stat increases and they are a bunch of liars.

I’m more inclined to number 1, given Anet’s track record with GW1, but either way they need to be more transparent with their players. No one really cares about a “big surprise” we care about the investment we’ve put into these games.

Tell Anet’s boss what you think: http://tinyurl.com/arkgzku

cherrie.8907

Ok you take one group with 36% more stats over all due to having full sets of new gears/weapons vs another group that does not have that stuff….

Oh you say it’s only 2 rings and a back slot, silly! Then I point out they explicitly said they are not only adding a full set with accompanied weapons but ALSO with mutiple ‘tiers’ and more legendaries on top of that.

So now you want to not play and not be left behind in stats or gear… oh dear… C’mon if you dont play the gae for 3 months or whatnot ofc you will be left behind, thats perfectly normal and expected…

They said it in their announcement post that the gear wouldn’t all be released at once. The only ascended gear being released today is a piece or two…. ill go back and read maybe ive been up to long and im off my rocker o.O. But if they release say 2 pieces every 3 months….. the situation you outlined above is really not gonna happen because most will go after the new pieces.

Most who are at the level cap, who have full sets of good gear (rare or exotic), who enjoy dungeons, who want to grind for Ascended gear (which based on their reasoning will be more difficult than exotics, less than legendary), and who have the privilege to play the game over the next couple months.

Look… If you expect to NOT play this game and still be on par with everyobne your having a pipe dream. I cant beleive that anyone would egnuinley think that would be acceptable. If you dont play the game EXPECT to be l eft behind its perfectly natural. This smacks of people who want everything but dont want to put the effort in.

“It all gets back to our basic design philosophy. Our games aren’t about preparing to have fun, or about grinding for a future fun reward. Our games are designed to be fun from moment to moment.”
Mike O’Brien

And this is true. The game will still be fun from moment to moment. It still doesent mean u can not play for 3 months and remain at the same level as everyone else.

“So if you love MMORPGs, you should check out Guild Wars 2. But if you hate traditional MMORPGs, then you should really check out Guild Wars 2. Because, like Guild Wars before it, GW2 doesn’t fall into the traps of traditional MMORPGs. It doesn’t suck your life away and force you onto a grinding treadmill; it doesn’t make you spend hours preparing to have fun rather than just having fun; and of course, it doesn’t have a monthly fee.”

Mike O’Brien

Does that mean I can have my money back if I wanted, if they go down this progression route?

Sadly no.

Actually – yes.

Sure, with +300 gameplay hours … you want your money back lol … oh please take this chupachups -.-

My friend just got a refunt through PayPal on 600h+ account.
Why? Because they have to, at least in EU.

-Mike Obrien

Posted by: Jobe.6721

Jobe.6721

Well not a repeat poster here. In fact my first post.
This is a game killer for me tbh, I have kinda been on the fence with this game as there are some things I really like while a few other things not so much.
One of the things keeping me here is the grind to exotics is not so bad so grinding up alts and doing WvW pvp and dungeons has been rather enjoyable as with the limited skills I get really bored playing one character.

No matter how you look at it, its a treadmill/power creep so if this is the case why would I play a game that has a sub par leveling experience and now the typical MMO end game gear grind and tbh GW2 is not that good in that genera of MMO’s, they had their own thing going on and I supported it and bought gems ect because A-net was doing ok with the game in my book, while the game is not perfect at least its not typical gear grind, but now it seems as its going down that path so id rather spend my money on other games like EVE, or TOR as I have already done my endgame gear grind in TOR, while I wait for ESO, EQ next.
A-net I say to you I supported your original vision of what you released as i bought the game and so far bought around 60 bucks in gems and planned on buying more, but I will not support this typical gear grind nonsense from you. In fact you needed to give crafting more of a purpose not less.

Looks like somebody is reading the metric data wrong…Oh well not the first time and yet again I get watch another one die I guess.

(edited by Jobe.6721)

Posted by: Urxx.6840

Urxx.6840

You know, a while ago I would have acted all fanboy to such a statement. I would have posted something like “Hey they’ve always kept their word, they don’t deserve this kind of attitude.”.

Now sadly I’m more inclined to agree with you.

Posted by: Mylo.1247

Mylo.1247

And what about WvW players? And crafters? Are they forced to go into this instance to get this items and ascended gear?

Great! No time to defend this castle. Have to go into the new instance to get competitive gear und this new bags (20 slot!!!). Wonderful. Armorsmith 400, usless, …now!

A friend of mine plays Allods (super gear treadmill). He told me that they have a similar system.

And again, what happend? OMG.

FaultWeeyam.4302

The 24th should be an interesting time for all, wonder how many will stick to their conviction /signed

Posted by: Shieldbreaker.4012

Shieldbreaker.4012

I’m not playing that bait and switch game with Anet.

I played GW1, bought every xpac.
Preordered GW2, after a long anticipation.
Won’t spend another cent on this game if they let that go live.

Anet, you know full well this is the opposite of everything that’s ever been released about this game, this franchise, the entire design philosophy. If you’d said you’d be doing this before release, I’d have skipped buying the game. Now I’m unsure if I should even bother logging in for any pve content at all.

I sincerely hope that the new tier of gear and the agony mechanic get pulled out and not patched to the live servers. You’ll have one angry playerbase…well, what’s left of the playerbase anyway.

Posted by: tkalamba.2541

tkalamba.2541

I don’t need a guide to new dungeon, i’m an 6 years old player of Gw1, following gw2 whit every blog post, interview etc, and no one devs of arenanet said that they will introduce this time of progression whit gear.In gw1 you don’t need to to dungeon for equip against a condition whit some better gear than the outhers dungeons.We are more people here against this kitten meccanics, you think that we are all stupid and we can’t learn and read somethings about this?

Well, it does spell out how the Agony works pretty clearly, and if you can see how the new tier is not even necessary, and seems pretty easy to obtain.

Simple research would actually calm a vast majority of people down, but they like to post the same quotes over and over again. There’s still no treadmill, Legendaries are still = to the top tier, and they never ever stated that there wouldn’t possibly be a new tier. They’ve explicitly stated new item types would be added in future content in the past, regardless of its new weapon types or new tiers.

Lord Lefteris – Engineer [Sanctum of Rall]

Posted by: Spryt.8012

Spryt.8012

Wow that sounds like Diablo 3. Run same stuff over and over on harder and harder difficulty to get better loot so you can do next level.

Posted by: Jairyn.6913

Jairyn.6913

So, grinding.

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

Wow that sounds like Diablo 3. Run same stuff over and over on harder and harder difficulty to get better loot so you can do next level.

Technically in Diablo III, since they added the Monster Power thing, you’d usually run the lowest monster power possible (0 or 1 depending on which act you plan to farm) to get better gear because it’s more effective.

tkalamba.2541

Yes, it seems great! /sarcasm off

All party members will need to be located in Lion’s Arch within the same shard.
Indeed, an improvement over normal dungeoning, since Guesting is till not implemented and no ETA either. So cool, since I usually could have at least dungeoned with my friends from different servers.

However, the scale set for your overall group will always be set to that of the team member with the least progress. (…) This will be important to keep in mind when forming groups, and you will likely see requests in /map chat for players with a minimum difficulty scale.
Not like I didn’t expect that. So actually it will be “LF1M min diff 30 2x versatile Simple Infusion, link trinkets in PM”!

Cool. Just what I always wanted.

Considering you get a fixed 5 relics per individual fractal, you really think people will want to constantly run the hardest difficulty? A majority of players will go for the quickest and easiest route, as those relics are used to obtain the Ascended gear in the first place. The LFM argument will in turn be opposite of what you claim, people will look for minimum difficulty.

Posted by: Nar.8327

Nar.8327

Does anyone else find it amusing that people will now be “LFG for FotM”? It’s almost like that was intentional.

FaultWeeyam.4302

I think perhaps you do need to read it, it’s actually quiet interesting.

Also, please spell check, punctuate, and format your posts. Your post reflects your statement “i’m an 6 years old player”…

Edit:Typo.

I read it, and frankly, all it really did was confirm many of my fears, not that I don’t think I’ll be able to do the content, but because, again, they’ve done nothing to address the negative commentary and address the future of gear.

Also, if we’re being nitpicky: “it’s actually quiet entertaining.” Hey, I can edit too!

Posted by: Spryt.8012

Spryt.8012

Technically in Diablo III, since they added the Monster Power thing, you’d usually run the lowest monster power possible (0 or 1 depending on which act you plan to farm) to get better gear because it’s more effective.

Ok no idea, I got to Inferno act 2 and then got bored. Didn’t really do any research into most effective way to farm.

tkalamba.2541

Or you can run the easier difficulty for max efficiency as you get 5 relics per fractal… its a fixed relic reward…. which in turn are used for Ascended gear.

Posted by: Mylo.1247

Mylo.1247

Well, it does spell out how the Agony works pretty clearly, and if you can see how the new tier is not even necessary, and seems pretty easy to obtain.

Simple research would actually calm a vast majority of people down, but they like to post the same quotes over and over again. There’s still no treadmill, Legendaries are still = to the top tier, and they never ever stated that there wouldn’t possibly be a new tier. They’ve explicitly stated new item types would be added in future content in the past, regardless of its new weapon types or new tiers.

The question is if players, wh do NOT want to go into these instance, will get the same.
If not good luck ANet. I do not think you can force them. GW community is different to WoW, Aion, Allods etc.

Posted by: Freohr.7905

Freohr.7905

Playing the game now for casual PvE and maybe some WvW on the side. Getting my Thief to 80 for the kewl looking gear then calling it a day. I won’t be doing dungeons and I won’t be giving ArenaNet another penny of my money. Ever, for any game they create.

Welcome to my scrapheap list alongside other such hopefuls like Bioware.

If having a bigger blob means victory then you will blob.
Sun Tzu said that, and I think he knows a little more about fighting than you do, pal.

Posted by: Creslin.1758

Creslin.1758

Mike O’Brien

Mike O’Brien

Sadly no.

Actually – yes.

My friend just got a refunt through PayPal on 600h+ account.
Why? Because they have to, at least in EU.

I’m sorry, but if this is true, it’s absolute BS.

You shouldn’t be able to buy a game, play it for 600 hours over a period of probably 3ish months, and then decide you want a refund. I think you’re well past the “trying it out” stage at that point.

Thinking you can get a refund after playing a game for months just because you don’t like something the devs did is one of the most entitled things I’ve ever heard.

Magaera Enflanza (F Human D/D Ele)
[Envy], [Moon]

Posted by: Xpiher.5209

Xpiher.5209

It’s gating content. It’s the same thing like back at WoW, where those without a certain gear score or a certain resistance level could not experience content. It’s the same principle, the stats and the infusion stat are regarded here as gating mechanics

Its only gating content if they compound the stats. If new content isn’t affected by the Agony resistance gained in FOTM, and they didn’t add more gear as well then it wouldn’t be gating content. The problem is, we don’t know if thats what they plan. And since I don’t want to waste time, I won’t be playing GW2 anymore until I get an answer one way or the other.

Posted by: phooka.4295

phooka.4295

…and what’s wrong about that, Diablo is a great success after all. Once the grind set in, the playerbase expanded like mad!

Right.

Oh, I’ve mentioned it before but I’m saying it again: I deleted my credit card information from the game. Telling them that you don’t spend anymore doesn’t change a thing. Show them that you mean it!

Posted by: Hunterdan.4921

Hunterdan.4921

Sadly, people in here are only interested in feeding their rage, and making soap-box statements about betrayal and such. It’s like this is some kind of fanatical political rally. Either way! The new content looks great. Can’t wait!

Posted by: Urxx.6840

Urxx.6840

When you first do the new content you dont need ascend gear. If you keep repeating the content then that dot gets stronger.

Which means you don’t need the gear to do the content. But if you continue to repeat it over and over and over you will eventually need the gear to mitigate the dot.

So how does that devalue your exotic gear when the new gear is not even required unless you are repeating the content over and over again for the sake of personal progression? It doesn’t, is the simple answer.

I’ve never said exotic gear would lock you out of the whole Fractals experience.
But it does lock you out the difficulty levels where ascended gear becomes a must (to quote Lindsay Murdock) otherwise you become a burden for your party due to Agony killing you fast. Those are the levels where you get the best rewards.

And this is the situation immediately after the next patch goes live.

In the future things will get worse and infusions will be more and more needed.

Posted by: Keelin.5781

Keelin.5781

Please read this before anyone continues their rampant speculation

http://www.guildwars2hub.com/guides/basics/complete-guide-fractals-mists#.UKT2QkeP4Po.reddit

This will explain the dungeon in full. You get 5 relics per Fractal, 3 fractals before an increase in difficulty. Relics are used to purchase your gear, so it things look alot less random than people thought.

So assuming that a fractal takes, in the best case, 15 minutes to complete as they wrote:
Those items cost 1.350 relics.
15 min = 5 relics
1.350 / 5 = 270 (Fractals)
270 * 15 (minutes) = 4050 minutes = 67.5 hours
So 67.5 hours of nonstop fractals for one item.
We have 12 equipment slots NOT including weapons.
810 hours to get items for all 12 slots.
Let’s assume that one day is defined as 12 hours.
And we’re back to 67.5. That is 67.5 days of non-stop dungeons to get all of your equipment this way.
Truly, there’s no grinding in GW2.

cherrie.8907

It’s ironic that you say _simple research would actually calm a vast majority of people down, but they like to post the same quotes over and over again. _
If you put a little effort into “simple research” of what people are actually saying and try to understand where they’re coming from, you’d understand there’s nothing to calm anyone down because none of this addresses any of the major concerns.

You say the new Ascended gear is easy to obtain?
Now this will certainly provide a lot to do to the people who got their Legendaries in 2 weeks!

-Mike Obrien

Namu.5712

So, grinding.

But for some reason you think its required lol.

I think people need to stop the panic and quoting of AN’s statements about gear. And actually GO READ THE NEW MECHANICS AND HOW THE GEAR ACTUALLY FUNCTIONS. And then understand what the content you read says. It states specifically that you don’t need the gear, like straight up. The gear is there to fill the gap for gear grinders. You are not forced to grind for the gear, you are not forced to get the gear to run the new dungeon.

The only problem is WvW, sound like a broken record. But scaling needs to be in place for ascended/legendary’s for WvW…. unless of course as they stated before no rules in WvW, in which case if you are a serious WvW’er you need to get new gear….. but ascended isn’t the gear you should be getting you should be getting legendary gear. Because of the sigil. Which makes exotic still the number one choice in WvW over ascended gear because of the sigil’s. The minor stat boost on ascended does not out weigh the sigil stats on exotic gear.

Freohr.7905

http://www.guildwars2hub.com/guides/basics/complete-guide-fractals-mists#.UKT2QkeP4Po.reddit

This will explain the dungeon in full. You get 5 relics per Fractal, 3 fractals before an increase in difficulty. Relics are used to purchase your gear, so it things look alot less random than people thought.

So assuming that a fractal takes, in the best case, 15 minutes to complete as they wrote:
15 min = 5 relics
And we’re back to 67,5. That is 67,5 days of non-stop dungeons to get all of your equipment this way.

GW2 Dungeon system, best design 2012

Sun Tzu said that, and I think he knows a little more about fighting than you do, pal.

tkalamba.2541

So, grinding.

It’s not like grinding wasn’t present in this game…. people grinded for their exotics, dungeon gear etc…..

Posted by: Ganzo.5079

Ganzo.5079

15 min = 5 relics
And we’re back to 67,5. That is 67,5 days of non-stop dungeons to get all of your equipment this way.

i was doing a calculation like this 5 minutes ago… but i see there is no need anymore.

+1 to this post

and why that guide is not on the main site? or here in the forum? O_o

Because, like Guild Wars before it, GW2 doesn’t fall into the traps of traditional MMORPGs.
It doesn’t suck your life away and force you onto a grinding treadmill"
LOL

tkalamba.2541

It’s ironic that you say _simple research would actually calm a vast majority of people down, but they like to post the same quotes over and over again. _
If you put a little effort into “simple research” of what people are actually saying and try to understand where they’re coming from, you’d understand there’s nothing to calm anyone down because none of this addresses any of the major concerns.

You say the new Ascended gear is easy to obtain?
Now this will certainly provide a lot to do to the people who got their Legendaries in 2 weeks!

See items that are rewarded based on number of relics? Gift of Ascension, the prototype rings, and infusions…. get those with a bit of effort, and you get your ring…

It’s not rocket science

Posted by: replicant.3620

replicant.3620

Lock gear stats in WvW to Worn Exotic Levels just like sPvP and I won’t care what other PvE gear treadmills they add into the game ever. Let the PvE players grind out the monster gear if that is what they wish to do. Keep all forms of PvP away from that type of gear progression (or regression as some of us see it).

Peralta | 80 Human Necromancer | Pain Train Choo [Choo] | Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Sky.9347

Sky.9347

No they are fraud people.In all of this years if you see blog post, interview etc no one tell that they will introduce this kitten.If i saw that they will do one day, i will not buy Gw2.

Honest to God – I never thought this of the ANet team.

I’ve followed this game since before BWE # 1, and while changes have been made I never lost trust in their team. They adhered to the stated design philosophy, and in my opinion they released an amazing game. I have never enjoyed a game like this since Ultima Online.

It had bugs and balance issues, but I honestly don’t care. It had hackers and glitches, and I don’t care.

I never once badmouthed their team, and I even said “okay, I was wrong on that – much respect to you guys ANet”. Check my post history, I have nothing to hide.

But this time it’s different. I don’t trust many game companies, but I trusted this one.

I don’t even think I will go back to GW1 after this. This may seem all chicken little and overly dramatic to some of you guys… but you have to understand there are no other options for a game built on horizontal progression. This was it, and now it is gone.

It matters to me.

Sky – [tSA] – Stormbluff Isle
November 15, 2012 – The day a dream died.

cherrie.8907

…and what’s wrong about that, Diablo is a great success after all. Once the grind set in, the playerbase expanded like mad!

Right.

Oh, I’ve mentioned it before but I’m saying it again: I deleted my credit card information from the game. Telling them that you don’t spend anymore doesn’t change a thing. Show them that you mean it!

Yeah, Diablo was a great sales success.
I think it kind of went down from there.

-Mike Obrien

Posted by: Mausler.3748

Mausler.3748

Why not simply make the fractal dungeon x% harder each level, without requiring new gear? Then the elite can boast how high they can go, nobody needs to grind for gear, and no gear is devalued.

I do not see what this takes away from the current proposal, which seems to be to make it y% harder each level (y>x), but allow this to be mitigated by collecting and infusing ascended armor along the way. Instead of the skill-based progress described in the previous paragraph, you get gear-based progress, which seem far less attractive and impressive.

Since the increaed stats apply outside of the fractal dungeon, especially in PVP, the current plan introduces gear grind into the game, which kills the motivation of a large percentage of the current players, me included. Giving in to the content locusts is ultimately futile and will turn off everybody else.

My wish is that Anet delay the introduction of ascended armour, to give themselves some thinking time. There is plenty of new content to look forward to this weekend without the game becoming spoiled to feed the content locusts.

Posted by: Cutterslaine.2689

Cutterslaine.2689

15 min = 5 relics

i was doing a calculation like this 5 minutes ago… but i see there is no need anymore.

+1 to this post

and why that guide is not on the main site? or here in the forum? O_o

For. 1 exotic item

Posted by: Jairyn.6913

Jairyn.6913

And yet we were sold on “we don’t want to make the same boring grind.”

So much for innovation.

tkalamba.2541

15 min = 5 relics

GW2 Dungeon system, best design 2012

There’s only 2 items available, rings and back pieces, and rings are the only one accessible in the dungeon. It’s a goal to work towards that is spelled out for you right there. It’s not too difficult to get, difficult is not the same as time consuming.

You now can see that Ascended gear will not flood the game, it wont effect WvW anywhere as much as anyone thinks.

Freohr.7905

Honest to God – I never thought this of the ANet team.

I’ve followed this game since before BWE # 1, and while changes have been made I never lost trust in their team. They adhered to the stated design philosophy, and in my opinion they released an amazing game. I have never enjoyed a game like this since Ultima Online.

It had bugs and balance issues, but I honestly don’t care. It had hackers and glitches, and I don’t care.

I never once badmouthed their team, and I even said “okay, I was wrong on that – much respect to you guys ANet”. Check my post history, I have nothing to hide.

But this time it’s different. I don’t trust many game companies, but I trusted this one.

I don’t even think I will go back to GW1 after this. This may seem all chicken little and overly dramatic to some of you guys… but you have to understand there are no other options for a game built on horizontal progression. This was it, and now it is gone.

It matters to me.

Sadly the Anet that made GW1 isn’t the same Anet that made GW2. Which is becoming more and more apparent with this patch.

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

Considering you get a fixed 5 relics per individual fractal, you really think people will want to constantly run the hardest difficulty? A majority of players will go for the quickest and easiest route, as those relics are used to obtain the Ascended gear in the first place. The LFM argument will in turn be opposite of what you claim, people will look for minimum difficulty.

Where does it say it’s fixed at 5 relics per fractal no matter the difficulty? It would make for some insane grind to get those 1300 relic items.

Heck, what the hell are those items in the first place? They got weaker stats than all existing jewelry as far as I see so who would want those? Or maybe they are upgrade components to put in jewelry?

Namu.5712

I’ve never said exotic gear would lock you out of the whole Fractals experience.
But it does lock you out the difficulty levels where ascended gear becomes a must (to quote Lindsay Murdock) otherwise you become a burden for your party due to Agony killing you fast. Those are the levels where you get the best rewards.

And this is the situation immediately after the next patch goes live.

In the future things will get worse and infusions will be more and more needed.

Right but why would you be repeating it to begin with if your not a progression player? Its no more difficult skill wise then the first other then you taking more damage from a dot. If you are sitting there repeating it to the point where you need the new mitigation, why is there a complaint about your exotic gear being obsolete? When its really not.

They are trying to give progressive players something to do. If you are a casual player your exotic gear is still top of the line well besides legendary gear which most people wont even attempt to get because its so time consuming.

Posted by: Dedalus.3065

Dedalus.3065

15 min = 5 relics
And we’re back to 67.5. That is 67.5 days of non-stop dungeons to get all of your equipment this way.

They did however state that the rewards increase as you do harder fractals; currently we don’t know how the reward scales with amount of time invested. Besides that, we don’t know what those items that require 1350 tokens actually do. However, it does seem worrisome.