Thoughts on Ascended Gear? [Merged threads]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: krookie.6378

krookie.6378

Ok im not trying to be the dark horse in this conversation, BUT I do think exotic gear level was TO easy to obtain. I think they should continue to add ascended items but then Stop and ensure that this is the highest gear tier forever (a LONG time). This certainly gives those that want more to do some content and doesnt affect those who dont <— This is because anyone with exotics can easily make it to lvl 10 of the fractals.

Depends on the exotic. There are some exotic pieces that are very hard to obtain. Some even worth 100+ gold.

Actually, the wide range of exotics was the beauty of the system, as far as I’m concerned. You could gear up for a few gold, if you didn’t care about how you looked. Or you can spend time and gold getting that perfect looking combination of armor and weapons and have a really unique look.

With ascended, everyone is going to be running around with a quiver or a book on their back. They are the best items so naturally people will strive for them. It homogenizes everything.

Posted by: Ganzo.5079

Ganzo.5079

Ok im not trying to be the dark horse in this conversation, BUT I do think exotic gear level was TO easy to obtain. I think they should continue to add ascended items but then Stop and ensure that this is the highest gear tier forever (a LONG time). This certainly gives those that want more to do some content and doesnt affect those who dont <— This is because anyone with exotics can easily make it to lvl 10 of the fractals.

there is a problem to the whole ascened project
looking on gw2db some ascended have 40\50% more stats then an exotics, and they are devided on two tiers (normal and infused) and all this without infusion.
This make too mauch unbalance on WvW or simply for dungeon…

the gap between a lvl 80 rare, and a level 80 exotic, is really low and you dont really notice this difference… only the player know this.

But the gap between ascended and exotic is ridicolous and this, create a stats barrier between casuals\normal players , and heavy grinders.

Because, like Guild Wars before it, GW2 doesn’t fall into the traps of traditional MMORPGs.
It doesn’t suck your life away and force you onto a grinding treadmill"
LOL

Posted by: Harbard.5738

Harbard.5738

I really hope they are gathering this feedback to shove in the face of whoever out of ANet forced them to do it so he/she/it stays out of their business for good. Yeah, one can hope.

Give me game. Not grind, not gating, not RNG, not +stat junk, not checklists.

Posted by: krookie.6378

krookie.6378

I’m still hoping that they will read our feedback and rethink their stance on ascended gear. I wouldn’t even mind if they kept the rings and the back pieces which are already in the game. Since there are no exotic back pieces, as far as I know, the ascended pieces wouldn’t be much of a game breaking issue. The rings probably wouldn’t make much difference either.

But adding ascended weapons and armor is the absolute wrong way to go. Especially with how depended on the RNG this whole thing is.

actually the ascended gear does not rely on RNG at all, atleast not to the extent of the legendary precursors

The ascended quivers and books require Vial of Condensed Mists Essence to craft, which is a random drop in FotM.

Posted by: Lt Latency.7415

Lt Latency.7415

Forum posters are the minority not the majority.

How do you know this? I would love if people actually were backing up their claims with some kind of evidence. Not even hard evidence. Anything would suffice, just as long it’s not completely made up.
We don’t know if forum people are a minority or a majority.
So please stop quoting this as a hard fact.

This thread has about 100k posts. GW2 sold over 2 million copies.

Even if every single post was a unique person which it’s not even close to being. We need ALOT more posts.

Posted by: Ferguson.2157

Ferguson.2157

How do you know this? I would love if people actually were backing up their claims with some kind of evidence. Not even hard evidence. Anything would suffice, just as long it’s not completely made up.

Even if every single post was a unique person which it’s not even close to being. We need ALOT more posts.

More like 10304 with your post.

I’m against this ascended move, but there is no reason to lie or exagerate.

“What, me worry?” – A. E. Neuman

Posted by: Burner.1643

Burner.1643

Only can see a snowball effect (fracture) and elitisme coming from it.
Whats next, more tiers/stats when they finished with the content ?

“Future content you need ascended/fusion”
Where does this leave the casual player with the new content ?

Lt Latency.7415

My bad, typo,

People didn’t believe that forum posters are a minority and wanted some hard proof, Had nothing to do with ascended gear.

Posted by: kKagari.6804

kKagari.6804

My bad, typo,

People didn’t believe that forum posters are a minority and wanted some hard proof, Had nothing to do with ascended gear.

You have equally as little proof that the happy players are the majority. I am in a guild full of dissatisfied players; and over half of them have filed for refunds. They don’t post on forums here simply because they don’t have time to burn.

“We just don’t want players to grind in GW2” – C. Johanson
“it doesn’t make you spend hours preparing to have fun, rather than having fun”
Guild missions say otherwise.

Ferguson.2157

None of us will ever know unless Anet tells us.

I’d be surprised if they are not taking metrics of our behavior and opinions. They aren’t idiots, we don’t know what pressures or issues are motivating them to change course.

All I know is it’s unsettling and disappointing to me to the point of desiring a full refund. Some of my in game friends share my opinion others don’t. I just wish Anet would detail their plans so I can make an informed decision about my future with this game.

Posted by: Clerigo.9475

Clerigo.9475

As i only seen this thread now, ill post here the same ideas i shared on other post. TY for the patience.

Hello ANet,

following the recent talks about Ascended Gear, i must say i am very disappointed about the possibility of ANet abandoning the gear horizontal progression adopted by GW1 design, and loved by many players around the world.

But, and as this game is called GW2 and one has to please Greeks and Trojans, if ANet decides to tread along this old troublesome game design, i have a suggestion.

Add a mechanic component that allows players to constantly upgrade their exotic/legendary gear to be at par with every new gear added to the game in terms of number stats.
This mechanic could exist in the form of a simple quest, with crafting professions playing the majority of the effort while the rest could fall on a given number of required tokens to complete the upgrade. These tokens can even be the same as required to purchase the new items added by the given new added content.
Would not require a new NPC design, as our most beloved Zommoros can handle it in perfection.

I even have a name for it: Eternal Reforging

This would allow for ANet to project a steady grip in the balance between old and new content (i think no developer likes to see empty game zones in their games) giving a reason for new players to explore old content, and extending respect to all veteran players that spent hours playing the game and not allowing them to see their effort in the trash.

Pros:
- would extend respect to veteran players for their invested game time, allowing them to keep and use all their hard earned gear;

- would increase the gear endline base for new and veteran gamers alike, therefore making both old and new content desirable;

- would give a reason for new players to invest time in older content and therefore result in a balanced distribution of players by the game map, also giving vet players a reason to go finish something left behind, this would most certainly keep the game map alive and we wouldnt see ghost areas as it happens in every game with gear treadmill;

- would allow for a gear horizontal progression logic, but still adding the required play effort in the new content, making both Greeks and Trojans happy;

- would allow ArenaNet to stay true to the “manifesto” that i fiercely defend;

Cons: none.

Thank you.

“When in doubt, choose change.” Leung
“All great changes are preceded by chaos.” Chopra
‘No matter what people tell you, words and ideas can change the world’ Robin Williams

Posted by: kKagari.6804

kKagari.6804

I’d be surprised if they are not taking metrics of our behavior and opinions. They aren’t idiots, we don’t know what pressures or issues are motivating them to change course.

All I know is it’s unsettling and disappointing to me to the point of desiring a full refund. Some of my in game friends share my opinion others don’t. I just wish Anet would detail their plans so I can make an informed decision about my future with this game.

That’s only speculative currently, with this new patch its really hard to tell at this point.

“We just don’t want players to grind in GW2” – C. Johanson
“it doesn’t make you spend hours preparing to have fun, rather than having fun”
Guild missions say otherwise.

Lt Latency.7415

My bad, typo,

You have equally as little proof that the happy players are the majority. I am in a guild full of dissatisfied players; and over half of them have filed for refunds. They don’t post on forums here simply because they don’t have time to burn.

I don’t even know what were are talking about now??

I am not talking about happy or sad. Just how many people post vs how many people play which you seem to agree with.

Saying our last line talks about how most of your guild doesn’t post on the forums

(edited by Lt Latency.7415)

Posted by: Ballistic.4531

Ballistic.4531

My bad, typo,

I am not talking about happy or sad. Just how many people post vs how many people play which you seem to agree with.

Saying our last line talks about how most of your guild doesn’t post on the forums

And again you don’t know that for a fact. You don’t know how many left in pre-ascended time, how many left because ascended were introduced, how many left because of this new one-time-huge-thing-event and how many aren’t posting at all.
So again. We don’t know who’s in minority or in majority. There are no facts on this. Only plain speculations.
Edit: I’m not saying I’m in majority here, I’m saying we don’t know.

This world needs more people being frank and less people being offended.

Ferguson.2157

That’s only speculative currently, with this new patch its really hard to tell at this point.

I like to think there is a diference between inteligence and wisdom.

This is their product, livelyhood and they are the professionals. I know nothing about the innerworkings of software, and I’m loath to trust the opinions of unknow folks posting in a game forum.

I think whoever is calling the shots re the promotion of the game vs current reality is deceitful at best and a crook at worst, but I won’t use a broad brush to paint all of the employees.

I’m very upset.

I have almost no info as to their intent or reasons for doing what they are doing. They treated me well and in a stand-up way for many years in Guild Wars.

They need to inform us of their plans. If they don’t before my return window closes I’ll refund my purchase. If they do and I can live with their plans for the game I may stay.

I absolutely hate being kept in the dark. It’s bad business to treat customers this way, but I don’t know who is calling the shots. Anet, NCSoft, or Nexon – somewhere someone is making this decision and I just want to know why and what the plan is or if everything will be in flux – I need information.

Posted by: NaughtyProwler.8653

NaughtyProwler.8653

My bad, typo,

I am not talking about happy or sad. Just how many people post vs how many people play

I dunno if anyone will ever figure out that number… The only reason the whole “vocal minority” thing came into existence was from people (developers, white-knights, etc) trying to justify significant changes by trying to marginalize upset forum posters in an attempt to stop the dissent in it’s tracks. And it usually backfires. Telling someone they don’t have a voice just makes them scream louder.

Posted by: Orion.7264

Orion.7264

Look, there’s plenty of statistical evidence to show that in situations like this, those who choose to voice their opinions represent a fractal microcosm of the whole. The ratio of supporters to dissenters is usually a fairly accurate representation of the community as a whole; the only faction not well-accounted for is the apathetic faction who doesn’t care one way or another.

And they don’t matter, because whatever gets implemented won’t affect them or their enjoyment. Essentially it’s a choice between the people in favor and the people opposed (and even then, generally NOT doing something that someone is in favor of results in less ill-will than doing something someone is opposed to).

Arenanet lies.

(edited by Orion.7264)

Lt Latency.7415

My bad, typo,

And again you don’t know that for a fact. You don’t know how many left in pre-ascended time, how many left because ascended were introduced, how many left because of this new one-time-huge-thing-event and how many aren’t posting at all.
So again. We don’t know who’s in minority or in majority. There are no facts on this. Only plain speculations.

Yes we do.

2 million vs 10 thousand if every posters was unique (which it’s not)
keep cutting it in 1/2
1 million

You have to cut the population in 1/2 7 times to even get close to 10k being the majority. If things are this bad in 2 months, Your DAM right then better start making major changes.

Posted by: Primal.9513

Primal.9513

Look, there’s plenty of statistical evidence to show that in situations like this, those who choose to voice their concerns represent a fractal microcosm of the whole. The ratio of supporters to dissenters is usually a fairly accurate representation of the community as a whole; the only faction not well-accounted for is the apathetic faction who doesn’t care one way or another.

So the fact you voice your concern about us being a minority means there is only a “fractal microcosm” of people who think we’re a minority? Good to know!

“We don’t make grindy games!”

Then GW2 is either not a game, or made by you.

Orion.7264

Look, there’s plenty of statistical evidence to show that in situations like this, those who choose to voice their concerns represent a fractal microcosm of the whole. The ratio of supporters to dissenters is usually a fairly accurate representation of the community as a whole; the only faction not well-accounted for is the apathetic faction who doesn’t care one way or another.

So the fact you voice your concern about us being a minority means there is only a “fractal microcosm” of people who think we’re a minority? Good to know!

That’s not what it means at all…

Arenanet lies.

Posted by: Eveningstar.6940

Eveningstar.6940

I don’t know if I read you correctly, but I think you misunderstood what he was saying. Being part of a “microcosm” isn’t the same as being part of a minority. Microcosm means a small but accurate sample size.

Valerie Cross: Roleplayer, Writer, Tarnished Coast

A Beginner’s Guide to Guardians

Posted by: Primal.9513

Primal.9513

But you said it yourself, there is PLENTY of statistical evidence!

My point is: Your argument can just aswell be reversed, and being a minority doesn’t mean you’re necessarily wrong or shouldn’t be listenend to.

Edit: Indeed, re-reading his post I realised I misread it, Thanks Eveningstar, and sorry Orion

“We don’t make grindy games!”

Then GW2 is either not a game, or made by you.

(edited by Primal.9513)

Orion.7264

My point is: Your argument can just aswell be reversed, and being a minority doesn’t mean you’re necessarily wrong or shouldn’t be listenend to.

Again, that’s not even close to the meaning. Look above, someone already clarified for you.

Arenanet lies.

Ballistic.4531

My bad, typo,

Yes we do.

keep cutting it in 1/2
1 million

You have to cut the population in 1/2 7 times to even get close to 10k being the majority. If things are this bad in 2 months, Your DAM right then better start making major changes.

It’s funny how you make up math that means nothing. You are so stubborn in saying you know exactly who’s who without any valid fact or proof except for made-up numbers you throw out. Sorry but that’s not proof from my point of view.

Orion.7264

Maybe I can make this simpler:

Imagine you have a pizza. This pizza is made up of a bunch of different slices, all of which have different toppings. If you take a circular sample from the middle of the pizza, it doesn’t matter how small the circle is, because the pieces will all converge in the same ratio. There will be the same relative amounts of the different types of toppings, and no matter the size of the sample, because of the method in which it was acquired, I could tell you how much of each type of slice made up the pizza. This forum functions in a similar fashion.

Arenanet lies.

Posted by: Crater.1625

Crater.1625

Exotic items were “easy to obtain” if, and only if, you:

1) Refuse to play more than one character.
2) Refuse to play more than one build on each character.
3) Refuse to use anything other than the cheapest (profession-crafted) Exotics in the game.

For players who have a lot of time to play the game and still want advancement, there are release valves built into the game’s design everywhere. It’s like that old joke about a slowly drowning man, only in this case the punchline is replaced with “Yeah, I guess you’re right. I’ll fix that for you.”

For the rest of us, it is not easy to outfit yourself with the Exotics you need. I play four characters at level 80, and two of them have two completely separate builds that require two completely separate sets of gear. I also like to use moderately nice looking gear, instead of awful looking Pearl weapons. That means it costs at least 200g to 250g to be outfitted in Exotic equipment. That is one hell of a grind to max out, with “easy to get” Exotics.

It will be impossible for me to max out with Ascended equipment, unless I stop playing everything except one build, on one character. Ascended equipment eliminates 83% of the game for me, in one fell swoop.

Catering to players who refuse to play the game except in one specific way, forever, should not be a priority.

Orion.7264

Edit: Indeed, re-reading his post I realised I misread it, Thanks Eveningstar, and sorry Orion

No problem!

Arenanet lies.

Lt Latency.7415

My bad, typo,

Yes we do.

keep cutting it in 1/2
1 million

It’s funny how you make up math that means nothing. You are so stubborn in saying you know exactly who’s who without any valid fact or proof except for made-up numbers you throw out. Sorry but that’s not proof from my point of view.

Look at this thread. 10k posts.

For that to be the majority. That means this game went from 2 million users which is a number of units sold that this game reached to less then 20k users in 2 months.

If that is the case they should just turn the servers off because this game is done.

Posted by: EnoLive.2367

EnoLive.2367

What ever next Gear upgrades in the Gem store I bet.
Own up ArenaNet it’s all about the almighty $ and nothing to do with game play enjoyment, even at the event some players gained an amulet that took me ages and a lot of hard work to get and they get it just for turning up to an event.
Not Cool ArenaNet Not Cool at all

Co Leader & Founder “Privateers Uk” [PUK]
Gandara
Eno Live (Ele)

Ballistic.4531

My bad, typo,

Yes we do.

keep cutting it in 1/2
1 million

WoW, That is just sad.

For that to be the majority. That means this game went from 2 million users which is a number of units sold that this game reached to less then 20k users in 2 months.

If that is the case they should just turn the servers off because this game is done.

I can make up numbers as well. Here we go…
- What if 80% of the current GW2 population (the active ones) isn’t commenting at all on the forums. For those 80% you have absolutely no clue how they feel. Whether they are for or against the new changes or just don’t care.
- 20% would be on the forums (including you and me).
- Now, 70% of the forum posters (those 20%) are against these game changes.
So how can you tell how’s minority from reading the forum, when you absolutely got no clue how those 80% feel towards the question at hand?

Disclaimer: These numbers are completely made up just to prove that making numbers up mean nothing.

Orion.7264

snipped

I would like to agree with half of this and disagree with the other half.

Personally, I found exotics fairly easy to acquire. I’ve got two characters outfitted in them, and not just the cheapest; I got the looks I was going for. Very pleased with the outcome. It was not super duper faceroll easy, but I found that it wasn’t unpleasantly hard either. In my opinion, the acquisition of exotic gear was just right, except for lodestone requirements of some of the rarer exotics (Foefire’s Essence, anyone?). Dungeons made getting good-looking armor and weapons a matter of skill rather than grind, as a good group could roll through all dungeons (even Arah, trust me) in reasonable time. Due to tokens being account-bound, my second character had all of his exotics ready by the time he was 40. On a side note, sitting there ready to be maxed out and look cool and just be waiting on levels makes you REEEEEEALLLY impatient… so I may have messed with my OCD by getting his stuff early. But I digress.

The Ascended gear IS far too much of a grind, and it’s completely unnecessary. My characters were geared out in exotics, yes; but that doesn’t mean I was done with them. I had full intentions of getting Sunrise for my guardian, and I’d already pursued other “rare” exotics for my necromancer. With successive characters I’d have more and more options in terms of legendaries and unique mystic forge exotics. With additions of new skins, my quest for horizontal progression in terms of just looking kitten could potentially never end, and I would be fine with that. But these Ascended items don’t close any gap between exotic and legendary, they introduce a required grind that WIDENS that gap horribly, and will be extensively long for no reason. Outdating all the work I put into my exotic gear for no reason. If they were the Legendary equivalent of armor, sure! I’d chalk that up on my to-do list depending on the skins, for various classes, etc. I don’t mind long-term goals as long as I can be just as statistically effective in the meantime. Do I really want Sunrise on my guardian? Hell yes. Will it take me a long time? Hell yes. Do I feel pressured to get it because my current greatsword is crap for stats? No, not until Ascended creates that gap. And anyone looking to get a Legendary is even more screwed, because you have two options:

Waste time getting gear you will replace with your legendary(ies)

OR

Be underpowered on the long grind toward your legendary(ies).

Now the pressure kicks in to grind that horribly long chain of requirements just to be effective. This is what we don’t like, that constant pressure to keep up or get screwed. I took a day off of doing Fractals, and I have no doubts that when I come back I’ll have trouble finding a group for level 5, because everyone will be on 10+ and no one wants to stop for lower levels because they feel that pressure to get their stat gear. Never had that issue with dungeons; plenty of players were more than willing to do some dungeon they didn’t need just for fun, the experience, etc., putting on pause the ones they needed, because the gear was merely cosmetic. There was no demand to have it ASAP, it could be postponed and acquired casually. That is an aspect that will NEVER factor into a stat-race. The Ascended grind is not only far too extensive, ESPECIALLY just to have max stats, it also fractures the community, creating divisive barriers, perceived pressure to do ONE thing to the exclusion of all others, elitism between players, frustration when players fall behind in the race, difficulty for those players to ever catch up, and a myriad of other negative effects which will ONLY contribute to a decline in player base, an increasingly insurmountable barrier for new players, and inevitably a dead game. I love GW2, I love all aspects of it except for this new gear treadmill, some may need fixing but that can be tweaked along the way; I do not want to lose my enjoyment in a game that had so much potential, and I do not want to see it fail.

Arenanet lies.

Orion.7264

My bad, typo,

Yes we do.

keep cutting it in 1/2
1 million

Please refer to my post involving the statistical accuracy of the microcosm presented by forums and other such phenomena.

Arenanet lies.

Lt Latency.7415

My bad, typo,

Yes we do.

keep cutting it in 1/2
1 million

WoW, That is just sad.

- What if 80% of the current GW2 population (the active ones) isn’t commenting at all on the forums. For those 80% you have absolutely no clue how they feel. Whether they are for or against the new changes or just don’t care.
So how can you tell how’s minority from reading the forum, when you absolutely got no clue how those 80% feel towards the question at hand?

Disclaimer: These numbers are completely made up just to prove that making numbers up mean nothing.

Because even your fake numbers have 80% of the population not posting on the forums. Which still makes forum posters the minority.

It has nothing to do with who is happy or sad, We were never talking about that.

Ballistic.4531

My bad, typo,

Yes we do.

keep cutting it in 1/2
1 million

WoW, That is just sad.

Because even your fake numbers have 80% of the population not posting on the forums. Which still makes forum posters the minority.

It has nothing to do with who is happy or sad, We were never talking about that.

Oh so it’s just the matter how much % of population post on the forums and how much don’t come close to it.
Oh, I see. Sorry then. I misunderstood the question.

Lt Latency.7415

My bad, typo,

Yes we do.

keep cutting it in 1/2
1 million

Please refer to my post involving the statistical accuracy of the microcosm presented by forums and other such phenomena.

The problem is official video game forums are were people come to complain.

If you go the BF3 forums you will see tons of people with 1000 hours of play time telling you how it’s the worst FPS ever made. (just stop playing)

If you went to the the WoW forums every single expansion is going to be the one that ruins the game forever.

Yes, forums bring up lots of good points. But it’s hard to tell the difference between a troll and someone who actual knows what they are talking about.

This is why MOST games use in game metrics to base alot of what they do on. Not Posts.

Like Say I was talking about PvP balance. I have only played a Messmer and Eng so really I shouldn’t be talking about balance because i haven’t even tried most of the classes. I can just say how things go from my limited experience.

Anything i say would always be biased toward the 2 classes I play

Posted by: Kraken.7514

Kraken.7514

I think they have 1 week to make a detailed statement on what their intentions toward WvW are. This is the time im giving before I quit.

Kraken – Guardian / Pretty Meris – Engineer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=LGQJUaYDQD8

Posted by: Eder.9120

Eder.9120

Usually I think a lot of conspiracy theories are a stretch, but I’m beginning to wonder… I did think “Blingg” was a strange name for the NPC, and I thought the FotM acronym was a coincidence, never thought about the “Under New Management” puzzle…

What I really found strange is the fact that the new dungeon flies SO far in the opposite direction of what GW2 was supposed to be about. The increased stats on Ascended gear is one, but look at how it’s structured: you have to replay the same dungeon over and over again, there is a “difficulty” level that is EXCLUSIVE rather than INCLUSIVE (in other words, all party members have to be at that level or higher, instead of how normal dungeons work where if only 1 member has done story mode, everyone else can join in the explore mode), you have loot generation which only increases after grinding at least 10 times, and you have everyone bumped up to 80 to try it, but only for the weekend… like giving people a fore(dis)taste of what’s to come.
And obviously the stony silence in the face of the biggest most vocal post of customer dissatisfaction ever on this forum, when they are answering everything else.

I’m really curious now… If there is an Anet dev in the know who’s reading this, please try and tell us what is happening behind the scenes. I know you won’t want to lose your job, so hide your IP and post anonymously on a third party forum. Although, to be honest, if the trend continues, you might want to sharpen up your resume anyway…

Posted by: Amon.5042

Amon.5042

After researching more about the possible reasons for this apparent breach in design philosophy, I found this:

June, Nexon acquires 14.7% of NCsoft
http://www.bizjournals.com/prnewswire/press_releases/2012/06/08/NY21443

August, NCSoft is in the red
http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/08/08/ncsoft-weathers-6m-loss-in-q2/

Monitizing Producer at ArenaNet, coming from Nexon
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/crystin-cox/3/957/a77

It doesn’t seem that GW2 is the money making machine NCSoft and Nexon expected, and they seem to be trying to revamp the allure. I think the direction is a wrong one. There could be other ways to do this without compromising the manifesto, but the higher ups might still be obsessed in seeing WoW cloning as a path to greater success.

I’m really sorry for the ArenaNet staff who dedicated so much of their time and passion into making the new evolution of MMOs, and now having to conform to a distortion of that vision. As the higher ups get desperate for results, I expect more distortions to come about.

I’m just a player who came along because of ArenaNet’s original vision. Thank you ArenaNet, for the overall positive work you’ve done up to this moment. This recent patch produced a fundamental change that I don’t agree with and will therefore stop spending money and time with GW2.

I hope for better days.

Posted by: John Lucier.5486

John Lucier.5486

.. There are already threads asking for gearscore. This is pitiful. Well you know what comes next ladies and gentlemen. 2 months there will be Pandas and Arena PVP for PVE players

Posted by: Columba.9730

Columba.9730

I’m still hoping that they will read our feedback and rethink their stance on ascended gear. I wouldn’t even mind if they kept the rings and the back pieces which are already in the game. Since there are no exotic back pieces, as far as I know, the ascended pieces wouldn’t be much of a game breaking issue. The rings probably wouldn’t make much difference either.

But adding ascended weapons and armor is the absolute wrong way to go. Especially with how depended on the RNG this whole thing is.

actually the ascended gear does not rely on RNG at all, atleast not to the extent of the legendary precursors

the essence required for the backpack is 100% rng. I’ve been farming in there for 4 hours with +125% magic find. no luck.

only thieves know how to play, they chant “L2P” every time their god mode is challenged.

Posted by: Caroigne.6812

Caroigne.6812

Bring up metrics all you want; metrics aren’t magic. They don’t have any metrics on why players quit, only how many, when, and some amount of what they did in game before quitting.

Even if a vast number of people are quitting, the people behind this change are improvising a solution based on a lack of knowledge as to the reasons for the problem. And their first solution is to remove one of their product’s key selling points, which seems a bit extreme this early in the game.

John Lucier.5486

the essence required for the backpack is 100% rng. I’ve been farming in there for 4 hours with +125% magic find. no luck.

Unfortunately at this point. Participating in the fractual/ascended grind is just like being an illegal drug user. You are doing something wrong as well, not just the drug dealer. If the majority acts like ascended is not even a part of the game, nor the dungeons that go along with it, guilds don’t let people in that are going for ascended gear…. etc It would certainly help the situation exponentially.

Think of it like that movie “Untraceable” With the website that has a live showing of someone being killed by a contraption, and they are killed faster by how many people visit the site. So the people visiting the site are an accessory to murder. This is a similar situation.
Since A_net is clearly not going to do anything about it. If you aren’t going to ask for a refund, then just play and don’t participate in the ascended gear crap or anything to do with it, but it has to be a huge chunk of the games population to do this or it will have little impact.
Boycotting the gem shop works too

Posted by: Eder.9120

Eder.9120

Bring up metrics all you want; metrics aren’t magic. They don’t have any metrics on why players quit, only how many, when, and some amount of what they did in game before quitting.

Metrics are an easy poll ( see here for my suggestion ) away… but I’m now coming around to the fact that the original Anet team have been bound and gagged, and the NCSoft/Nexon golem overlords are running the show now.

(edited by Eder.9120)

Posted by: Rhyse.8179

Rhyse.8179

.. There are already threads asking for gearscore. This is pitiful. Well you know what comes next ladies and gentlemen. 2 months there will be Pandas and Arena PVP for PVE players

You mean this one?
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Please-add-gear-score-2
My sarcasm meter was going overdrive on the OP there.

“I care nothing for a festering industry that wantonly refuses to
provide a service that I’m willing to purchase.” – Fortuna.7259

Posted by: Caroigne.6812

Caroigne.6812

Eder:

Your suggestion is a good idea. I doubt it will happen — because I agree with the rest of what you said. From personal experience in the industry, that’s exactly what’s happening.

Posted by: Rhyse.8179

Rhyse.8179

Open Letter to GW2 Devs:
I’m sorry Anet. I said bad things about you. It has taken some time, but now I understand. Putting in this Flavor of the Month dungeon and Ascended gear grind was not really your idea. I was initially angry; nearly irate. Now, I am simply sad. It’s become clear that Anet is Under New Management and not fully to blame.

Instead, it is the Evil Overlords, represented by the greedy and bossy Subdirector Blingg. It’s now clear that not everyone at Anet is happy, and that the outrage resulting from this move was not unexpected.

Anet, you have my condolences. I have obtained a refund for both my wife’s and my accounts; this kind of behavior may harm you financially. I apologize for that. I suspect that Anet is in some deep doo doo, and may not come out of this the same. It is my hope, however, that it will show the bean counters that their meddling is counterproductive and they will give you control of your game back. If that happens, I will happily buy GW2 once again and support you for years to come.

If not- RIP, GW2. So long and thanks for all the quaggans. It’s the end of an era for MMO developers.

“I care nothing for a festering industry that wantonly refuses to
provide a service that I’m willing to purchase.” – Fortuna.7259

Posted by: IllegalChocolate.6938

IllegalChocolate.6938

Don’t mean to burst bubbles here but… if this is true, the people who inserted these clues are gonna get struck down hard. Studios have their stuff logged and ID tagged so.. I am certain that with further deciphering of these “hidden messages”, innocent people from Anet are gonna have targets painted on their heads as a result of our public conversations on their forums.

Just saying.

John Lucier.5486

Don’t mean to burst bubbles here but… if this is true, the people who inserted these clues are gonna get struck down hard. Studios have their stuff logged and ID tagged so.. I am certain that with further deciphering of these “hidden messages”, innocent people from Anet are gonna have targets painted on their heads as a result of our public conversations on their forums.

Just saying.

not really. They wouldn’t have done it if they didn’t know they would be caught. That just means there are people at Arena net that already know this change means most if not ALL of their studio will be looking for jobs if this ascended gear is not removed
Plus if you are fired collecting unemployment is alot easier then if you quit, they probably have families and bills to pay

Also… if they are fired that just opens up the company to be hurt in their wallets even more via Wrongful Termination suit

(edited by John Lucier.5486)

Posted by: Columba.9730

Columba.9730

After researching more about the possible reasons for this apparent breach in design philosophy, I found this:

June, Nexon acquires 14.7% of NCsoft
http://www.bizjournals.com/prnewswire/press_releases/2012/06/08/NY21443

August, NCSoft is in the red
http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/08/08/ncsoft-weathers-6m-loss-in-q2/

Monitizing Producer at ArenaNet, coming from Nexon
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/crystin-cox/3/957/a77

It doesn’t seem that GW2 is the money making machine NCSoft and Nexon expected, and they seem to be trying to revamp the allure. I think the direction is a wrong one. There could be other ways to do this without compromising the manifesto, but the higher ups might still be obsessed in seeing WoW cloning as a path to greater success.

I’m really sorry for the ArenaNet staff who dedicated so much of their time and passion into making the new evolution of MMOs, and now having to conform to a distortion of that vision. As the higher ups get desperate for results, I expect more distortions to come about.

I’m just a player who came along because of ArenaNet’s original vision. Thank you ArenaNet, for the overall positive work you’ve done up to this moment. This recent patch produced a fundamental change that I don’t agree with and will therefore stop spending money and time with GW2.

I hope for better days.

so a kid with 9 years of experience after college came in and told seasoned people what to do. a 30 year old kid upends the game entirely. nice.

only thieves know how to play, they chant “L2P” every time their god mode is challenged.

Posted by: Dallyoop.6037

Dallyoop.6037

I am also one that does not agree with the changes made this patch. This is a horrible idea that will do nothing but create rifts in the player base and cause elitism, which is something that GW2 was designed to be against.

Gating is bad idea in any game. Look at Lotro, it created radiance as a gating mechanism and since then they have had to remove it because they realized that is was a bad idea from the start, it also did nothing but stop players from being able to enjoy content together as a community.

I hope that Anet stops this new gear grind from staying in the game and reverses it’s decision before it permanently damages it’s reputation and alienates it’s loyal player base.

I for one don’t want to see this game go the way of the dodo bird. But if this mechanic stays in, I will be joining the masses of players heading for the door. It may be too late for me to get a refund, but I can still choose if I want to buy future expansions and gems from the store.

Thanks for the fun couple months Anet. Was awesome while it lasted, but sadly this betrayal of your own MMOmanifesto cannot pass unnoticed or unpunished.

(edited by Dallyoop.6037)