Too Much Temporary Content Can Only Harm GW2

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Veydar.5017

Veydar.5017

“Oh no! I’m in a game and I don’t know what to do!” In this day and age the rescources to overcome this scenario are almost infinite. But let me throw you the most relevenat:

ASK SOMEBODY. It’s an MMO For crying out loud.

hehe this made me laugh but I dont think thats what Vayne really meant. I think he meant there is just no answer to the question.

Lets assume all content was released permanently. Now imagine a player who bought the game finished the whole storyline in a week and quit. He just logged on again today and asked you what he should do next?

Which one is the right answer?

Halloween, wintersday, lost short, flame and frost, The secret of southsun, dragon bash, sky pirates, the bazaar?

And thats at a high level
Some will suggest specifics they like..

Ohh man you really need to go try dragon ball its a blast! forget about dragon ball guild missions are amazing!

guild missions take too much effort, now skyhammer thats an awesome pvp map you really need to experience

Nahh forget about PvP not so secret now thats a challenge.

etc… etc..

Poor guy his head would explode before he decides what to do!

Thank you. This is the problem almost every person already finds coming back and not knowing what to do. We see some people ask on the forum and get half a dozen contradictory suggestions.

Hell, I play the game every day and sometimes I’m overwhelmed by all the content. I think with content every two weeks, this game would become impossibly clogged. The player base would spread out further and further and the people who claim that we’re losing players would have more to crow about.

This way, everyone that cares about the Living Story is more or less on the same page.

Without the tragedy of the Living “Story” (oh gods, what a misnomer), they wouldn’t have to release half made content every two weeks. They could actually take their time and put out something worth playing.

Oh look killcannon doesn’t like the living story, it must be not worth playing. I guess all the people who are enjoying it are mistaken.

Oh look, Vayne has nothing constructive to say…again.

Hate to tell you, many, many, many, many, many players don’t like it. And more every day.

The one and only thing it’s good for is to make people log in due to a content treadmill.

Many many players DO like it. What’s your point? I particularly like the current content. So do lots of people I’ve talked to.

More every day? Proof? Your experience? Maybe you only hear what you want to hear.

Of course many players like it. It’s easy, it’s accessible, it doesn’t have a story that you have to ignore in order to get those short bursts of satisfaction stemming from menial achievements.
Guild Wars 2 was supposed to be a frustrated swear words MMO RPG and not an arcade game. I used to love Wintersday and the likes since it provided everyone with a happy and humorous distraction. But we’re about to reach a point where the RPG elements of the game are becoming the sidekick.
Furthermore, the argument that new players would be overwhelmed by the content is just ridiculous. The consequence would be to develop a game and abandon it right away. If you start playing GW1 now there’s Factions, Nightfall and EoTN to complete. Any game that has any addons will take more time to complete for new players. At least these players have the chance to do it!
How frustrating would it be to join a game that’s been around for a few years only to realize that huge chunks of the story, of the entire game, were temporary content. You’d feel left out and isolated without the ability to get ANY of these titles, rewards or experiences.
So I’d say: Release new stuff every 4-6 months, making it 70% RPG 30% jumping/races whatever and leave most of these 70% untouched. The rest you can remove since this is, after all, an RPG.

(edited by Veydar.5017)

Posted by: Bismuth.3165

Bismuth.3165

I don’t mind all the “recurring” content, hell, easy achievement points, why would I complain, but what really grinds my gear is ignoring permanent content, they promised us a scavenger hunt…. in December 2012 and told us soon, same thing for phase 2 of dungeon tweaking, you just cancelled res rushing and that’s it, or ascended weapons and new legendaries, if half of the work spent on recurring content was spent on permanent content for 2 months, we’d have all that by now, I mean, it’s not like you’re making 5 new maps for any of those, I’m not saying stop working on recurring content, or that you don’t work on permanent content, I’m just saying, you kept your promises on the recurring content, then keep your promises on the permanent content, because I know that you can.

PS: Thanks for the achievement rewards btw, it was a nice addition, I mean, what do you know, you actually listen to our suggestions…

Jeeha (ele) and Jeeha The Warrior
Is currently emotionally unstable because Breaking Bad is over

Posted by: Terok.7315

Terok.7315

So.. don’t release the living story as permanent content because a hypothetical minority of mouth breathers would assume the fetal position when presented with an abundance of content.. Seems like overreaching to me. :/

Vile Necromancer||Defender of the Beastgate||Slayer of Moa’s

Posted by: Kaaboose.3897

Kaaboose.3897

Snip

Game of Thrones was a perfect analogy for the context of the argument for which it was brought up.
That argument was that no matter how compelling and entertaining the Living Story was presenting it in a temporary fasion would harm it in the long run. The focus of that argument was “Compelling Story” not Video Game/Tv Series/Book.
This is why I belive the Living Story can’t succed if it’s focused too much on temporary content for the sake of immersion.
If it’s a great story you’ll eventually miss a part and be either left in the dark or forced to rely on the “Previously on the GW2 Living Story!” Dialouge the NPC’s leave behind. If it’s not it’ll be like Anime Filler, something you don’t really care about that’s just there to fill space and that begs the question:
Why write a story if nobdy cares about it?
“But some might care about it!” You say? Well you’re right back in the Game Of Thrones Scenario!
“But some don’t care about the story!” Then why the hell are they writing it? It’s pointless filler nobody cares about!
It’s an endless cycle of lose lose.
kitten it! Where is Tony.6028 when you need him!? (https://dviw3bl0enbyw.cloudfront.net/uploads/forum_attachment/file/69590/Magic_Find_Flow_Chart.png)

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

Brilliant? Idiotic? I am curious what do people think?

I think non-seasonal temporary content is a waste of development time, energy, and monetary resources that would be better spent on content that would permanently add to what the game has to offer, and no one here or elsewhere – players or developer – has offered a valid reason for it to even exist.

It serves no purpose that would not be better served by permanent content.

The game doesn’t need a ‘mix’ of non-seasonal temporary content and permanent content. The game needs deep, lore-rich, quality permanent content and it needs it desperately. Not more ‘thank you, drive-through’ happy meal (with toy surprise!) content.

Last time I looked, there were no golden arches in Lion’s Arch.

The table is a fable.

Posted by: Galen Grey.4709

Galen Grey.4709

You know, I asked before, but you avoided the question, so I will try again.

What Living Story release has changed the world?

Sorry must have missed the post, honestly didnt try to avoid the question.

Anyhow the answer is all of them some in more subtle ways then other.

Lost shores → Major changes, new land mass, broken buildings in lion’s arch, new enemies, new faction etc..

Flame and Frost → had mutliple stages of change. During the event you had refugees walking about, refugee camps, molten alliance invasions, environmental phenomena, like gysers, vents, storms etc.. After the ls completed you had a town in flames (cragstead), concentration of the refugees in a few locations, the remains of the environmental effects (mounds from the geyser and the vents scattered around.)

Secret of Southsun → All norn and charr refugees from Flame and frost LS where moved from the various areas to southsun. Some Grawl refugees remain in LA for example. Various new buildings and outpost build by the refugees. Because of Canach’s action “new” enemy crazyed karka were created these continue to attack to this day. New Gate linking LA to Southsun went operational. At the end of southsun when the refugees were free to leave because the contracts become carbon the Norn refugees moved to Cragstead which is now being actively rebuild. You can also talk to some of the characters that you retrieved stuff for in the 2nd flame and frost update who will tell you more about what you did for them.

Sky pirates: okey just a couple of very small changes here. the setup of their new base ie the not so secret jumping puzzle and
[spoil]One of the council members was killed, left vacant seat on the council which has two people fighting for the spot (you can talk to both in Labyrinthine Cliffs [/spoil]
if we want to be funny and a bit of a complitionist now mai trin is now prisoner in the lion’s arch HQ and you can go talk to her.

This is also the one’s I’ve discovered myself. I dont read guides so I may have missed some if anyone knows of anything I missed please feel free to add them

Galen Grey.4709

Oh look killcannon doesn’t like the living story, it must be not worth playing. I guess all the people who are enjoying it are mistaken.

All your arguments are more or less the same: “you are wrong because I think that all the people around me are having fun”. To me you seem to think that if there are some people who like something then they are the majority.
For example in my guild there aren’t any people who like the fact that all dungeons we get are removed from the game next week.

Can anyone simply give me one advantage of temporary content over permanent one that isn’t idiotic? Like: it’s ok that it’s removed because I’m almost sure that after a time people would stop playing it.

It keeps people logging in so they don’t miss the content. It’s Anets solution to gear grind and progression.

It’s a crappy solution, but at least they are trying…right? No? Maybe?

Are you seriously suggesting that grinding the same content over and over or a gear threadmill are better then having new content to play every two weeks?

I Grontanic disagree.

If you’re asking what Grontanic means, its a new word i just invented cause Strongly wasnt good enough.

Galen Grey.4709

It keeps people logging in so they don’t miss the content.

Then it sure isn’t working for me… I don’t have much time for playing lately so it’s pretty discouraging that I miss a lot of stuff.

But why? if you dont have time to play you dont have time to play fine. Some of the content is temporary and you’ll miss it fine. But still when you come back/ have time to play you’ll still have new stuff to enjoy / the permanent stuff released previously!

why should it be such a big deal that you missed some of it?

Posted by: minbariguy.7504

minbariguy.7504

So what is the problem? Ohh, here it is…I WANT EVERYTHING AND I WANT IT NOW FOR KITTENS SAKE AAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!! I WANT ALL THE SKINS AND ALL THE ACHIEVEMENTS AND I WANT TO GRIND THE ONE SAME THING EVERY DAY OVER AND OVER AGAIN AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!

Actually, it would be the ones in favor of temporary content who want everything “NOW FOR KITTENS SAKE”. Those of us who want permanent content want to do everything at a reasonable pace and not be hurried along. We don’t want everything now. We want to do it later , when our schedules allow. That’s the entire point.

In fact, my characterization of people demanding that content be temporary is kind of similar to what you wrote above, except it goes like: .I WANT EVERYTHING AND I WANT IT NOW FOR KITTENS SAKE AAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!! I WANT ALL THE SKINS AND ALL THE ACHIEVEMENTS AND I DON’T WANT ANYONE ELSE TO BE ABLE TO GET THEM BECAUSE I DON’T FEEL LIKE A SPECIAL SNOWFLAKE UNLESS I HAVE STUFF THAT SOMEONE ELSE CAN’T GET! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!

Molten dungeon was great and I would love to replay it but it was destroyed as part of the story.

Yeah, just as Orr was supposedly cleansed as part of the story, but the zone is still teeming with undead. What’s your point?

I know that one of the reasons behind having permanent content is to be able to repeat it or get to it when you want but some things are not ment to be permant and/or are not ment to be for everyone.

Hey, that ought to be ANet’s marketing slogan for the Living World. Let’s try it out:

• GW2’s LIVING WORLD: Not meant for everyone

Gosh, does that ever sound enticing. /sarcasm

(edited by minbariguy.7504)

Galen Grey.4709

I think non-seasonal temporary content is a waste of development time, energy, and monetary resources that would be better spent on content that would permanently add to what the game has to offer, and no one here or elsewhere – players or developer – has offered a valid reason for it to even exist.

It serves no purpose that would not be better served by permanent content.

The game doesn’t need a ‘mix’ of non-seasonal temporary content and permanent content. The game needs deep, lore-rich, quality permanent content and it needs it desperately. Not more ‘thank you, drive-through’ happy meal (with toy surprise!) content.

Last time I looked, there were no golden arches in Lion’s Arch.

I disagree… to a degree I mean I am not against permanent content like you’re saying “deep, lore-rich, quality permanent content” as long as you mean stuff like new zones with their own lore-rich dynamic events, more personal storyline etc.. In fact I long for it and am sure its on the way. Like we’ve been told multiple times the 4 teams doing these seasonal / non-seasonal events are a small part of the anet development effort. There are many more teams working on much longer term stuff. I am pretty sure those are developing the stuff you’re asking for. We all know such content takes time. Even if they didnt use some of the resources to create these events, you’d still expect them to take at least a year… some games take even 2.

This content is important as well though, it gives people stuff to do while they wait for the big cheese. It serves a very important purpose it gives stuff for people to do. Sure big permanent updates do that too but what about the whole year without any updates you need to wait? this is a perfect filler for that imho

Posted by: HiddenNick.7206

HiddenNick.7206

It keeps people logging in so they don’t miss the content.

Then it sure isn’t working for me… I don’t have much time for playing lately so it’s pretty discouraging that I miss a lot of stuff.

Some of the content is temporary and you’ll miss it fine.

Not some! 90% of content is temporary!

But still when you come back/ have time to play you’ll still have new stuff to enjoy / the permanent stuff released previously!

why should it be such a big deal that you missed some of it?

This is your argument? That’s it’s my fault that it bothers me?! There are couple of reasons of that!
1. I’ll miss story and origins of new stories.
2. I’ll miss context of story (like who is Ellen Kiel for example)
3. I can’t choose from what I really like to do from all things that was available.
4. I’ll miss rewards I could care about.
5. I’ll miss out specific content that I like (like dungeons and play mario cart instead).
and so on…

Your argument is pretty bad… What do YOU get from the fact that the content is temporary?!

(edited by HiddenNick.7206)

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

We all know such content takes time. Even if they didnt use some of the resources to create these events, you’d still expect them to take at least a year… some games take even 2.

It’s been almost a year since launch. What did GW players get a year after launch? Was it scattered remnants of recycled temporary content littering the landscape like the clean-picked bones of an unfulfilled and abandoned manifesto? No. They got a whole new campaign.

/e salute the Anet that was. Well done, ladies and gentlemen. Well done.

What the heck happened between then and now?

The table is a fable.

Posted by: killcannon.2576

killcannon.2576

You know, I asked before, but you avoided the question, so I will try again.

What Living Story release has changed the world?

Sorry must have missed the post, honestly didnt try to avoid the question.

Anyhow the answer is all of them some in more subtle ways then other.

Lost shores -> Major changes, new land mass, broken buildings in lion’s arch, new enemies, new faction etc..

Flame and Frost -> had mutliple stages of change. During the event you had refugees walking about, refugee camps, molten alliance invasions, environmental phenomena, like gysers, vents, storms etc.. After the ls completed you had a town in flames (cragstead), concentration of the refugees in a few locations, the remains of the environmental effects (mounds from the geyser and the vents scattered around.)

Secret of Southsun -> All norn and charr refugees from Flame and frost LS where moved from the various areas to southsun. Some Grawl refugees remain in LA for example. Various new buildings and outpost build by the refugees. Because of Canach’s action “new” enemy crazyed karka were created these continue to attack to this day. New Gate linking LA to Southsun went operational. At the end of southsun when the refugees were free to leave because the contracts become carbon the Norn refugees moved to Cragstead which is now being actively rebuild. You can also talk to some of the characters that you retrieved stuff for in the 2nd flame and frost update who will tell you more about what you did for them.

Sky pirates: okey just a couple of very small changes here. the setup of their new base ie the not so secret jumping puzzle and
[spoil]One of the council members was killed, left vacant seat on the council which has two people fighting for the spot (you can talk to both in Labyrinthine Cliffs [/spoil]
if we want to be funny and a bit of a complitionist now mai trin is now prisoner in the lion’s arch HQ and you can go talk to her.

This is also the one’s I’ve discovered myself. I dont read guides so I may have missed some if anyone knows of anything I missed please feel free to add them

Lost Shores-not part of the LS

F&F- Those changes are gone

Southsun Refugee- we got a gate…that’s a lot different from that boat we used before…poof you’re there. Area is still a ghost town because the changes were so bad.

F&F and Southsun together- two instanced areas with about a paragraph of flavor text

Skypirates-got a jump puzzle, and a npc in a cage

6+ months———————-two instanced areas with about a paragraph of text, a jump puzzle, and a NPC in a cage.

Living “Story”, changing Tyria one small step at a time!!! How can anyone say that’s not some compelling change to the world right there folks.

(edited by killcannon.2576)

killcannon.2576

“Oh no! I’m in a game and I don’t know what to do!” In this day and age the rescources to overcome this scenario are almost infinite. But let me throw you the most relevenat:

hehe this made me laugh but I dont think thats what Vayne really meant. I think he meant there is just no answer to the question.

Lets assume all content was released permanently. Now imagine a player who bought the game finished the whole storyline in a week and quit. He just logged on again today and asked you what he should do next?

Halloween, wintersday, lost short, flame and frost, The secret of southsun, dragon bash, sky pirates, the bazaar?

Ohh man you really need to go try dragon ball its a blast! forget about dragon ball guild missions are amazing!

guild missions take too much effort, now skyhammer thats an awesome pvp map you really need to experience

etc… etc..

Thank you. This is the problem almost every person already finds coming back and not knowing what to do. We see some people ask on the forum and get half a dozen contradictory suggestions.

Hell, I play the game every day and sometimes I’m overwhelmed by all the content. I think with content every two weeks, this game would become impossibly clogged. The player base would spread out further and further and the people who claim that we’re losing players would have more to crow about.

This way, everyone that cares about the Living Story is more or less on the same page.

Without the tragedy of the Living “Story” (oh gods, what a misnomer), they wouldn’t have to release half made content every two weeks. They could actually take their time and put out something worth playing.

Hate to tell you, many, many, many, many, many players don’t like it. And more every day.

The one and only thing it’s good for is to make people log in due to a content treadmill.

Many many players DO like it. What’s your point? I particularly like the current content. So do lots of people I’ve talked to.

More every day? Proof? Your experience? Maybe you only hear what you want to hear.

Same proof you have I assume. Many players like it? lmao. This isn’t even close to a 50/50 split. Just some bots nodding their head to the beat.

This is like the people who are trying to get Microsoft to reinstate their DRM policies for the Xbox.

Galen Grey.4709

We all know such content takes time. Even if they didnt use some of the resources to create these events, you’d still expect them to take at least a year… some games take even 2.

It’s been almost a year since launch. What did GW players get a year after launch? Was it scattered remnants of recycled temporary content littering the landscape like the clean-picked bones of an unfulfilled and abandoned manifesto? No. They got a whole new campaign.

/e salute the Anet that was. Well done, ladies and gentlemen. Well done.

What the heck happened between then and now?

Its been 10 months well 10 and a 1/2 now to be fair. And what did Gw players get in that time in terms of new content as far as I know just Sorrow’s Furnace. (might be wrong feel free to correct me if thats the case)

What happened now is in the same amount of time where we got little new content (but a lot of changes, I dont mean to say gw1 developers did nothing, not by any stretch of imagination, I am just talking about new PvE content) we got literally a mountain of stuff to do but instead of being grateful that we no longer have to wait a year but instead are getting biweekly new stuff to do until the big stuff lands some people are angry because it isnt here yet.

Even if it takes them 1 1/2 years now instead of 1 year I am personally very grateful they went into the extra hassle of essentially constantly proving fresh stuff to play.

killcannon.2576

All your arguments are more or less the same: “you are wrong because I think that all the people around me are having fun”. To me you seem to think that if there are some people who like something then they are the majority.
For example in my guild there aren’t any people who like the fact that all dungeons we get are removed from the game next week.

Can anyone simply give me one advantage of temporary content over permanent one that isn’t idiotic? Like: it’s ok that it’s removed because I’m almost sure that after a time people would stop playing it.

It keeps people logging in so they don’t miss the content. It’s Anets solution to gear grind and progression.

Are you seriously suggesting that grinding the same content over and over or a gear threadmill are better then having new content to play every two weeks?

I Grontanic disagree.

If you’re asking what Grontanic means, its a new word i just invented cause Strongly wasnt good enough.

anbdjhgdfmkgvbskduyfgvsdsdsdgkjvb sdfm,……that’s a new word I just made up. It means “Did I say anywhere in that post that gear grind is better than new content?”

Btw, I didn’t.

Also, we already grind the same content every day, week after week….BECAUSE THEY HAVEN’T ADDED ANYTHING NEW BESIDES SOME CONTENT THAT TAKES ABOUT 3 HOURS TO COMPLETE that has some of the worst story telling in a game I have ever come across.

CoD has better story than this tripe.

HiddenNick.7206

Why are you using that [spoil] marker? The LS is already gone… So you can’t spoil it to anyone!

killcannon.2576

Why are you using that [spoil] marker? The LS is already gone… So you can’t spoil it to anyone!

lol, plus one.

Posted by: RuneCrimson.7380

RuneCrimson.7380

I personally do not bother with the content that is being spoken of so it does not sway me one way or another cause its all over powered level 80 events that will destroy us lower levels and drive us to leave anyway. It already forces a group to play even PvE most of the time. Which I have found a way to keep solo on most of it. I do not bother with WvW or PvP cause its all the same forced group playing and having to be level 80 so before anyone can actually be involved they have to be level 80 to even do it. So I would miss it all anyway with most of my characters.

{Knights of Revengence} [KoR-Lord]
“Nothing is true! Everything is Permitted!”

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I personally do not bother with the content that is being spoken of so it does not sway me one way or another cause its all over powered level 80 events that will destroy us lower levels and drive us to leave anyway. It already forces a group to play even PvE most of the time. Which I have found a way to keep solo on most of it. I do not bother with WvW or PvP cause its all the same forced group playing and having to be level 80 so before anyone can actually be involved they have to be level 80 to even do it. So I would miss it all anyway with most of my characters.

You do get upscaled, although admittedly with the lower armor that’s only partly helpful. Still, I’ve been able to do the events on my lvl 8 Necro and lvl 10 mesmer without dying more than a couple of times.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

killcannon.2576

Man, I wish it was level 80 stuff. It’s all in lower level areas or you get up leveled in order to participate.

If you can push a space bar, you can do this content.

Posted by: RuneCrimson.7380

RuneCrimson.7380

Without running with a huge kitten group though the upscaled areas end up being to hard to even bother with…lower armour lower weapons lower skill build it all weighs on a lower level and ends up just being a nightmare.

{Knights of Revengence} [KoR-Lord]
“Nothing is true! Everything is Permitted!”

Galen Grey.4709

I messed up the spoil marker anyway, should be spoiler not spoil. grr anyhow This part is still going on, Living story chains much like dynamic events The two canditates can be spoken to in this even for example and they’ll tell you about their intention to try grab hold of the seat

Galen Grey.4709

I Grontanic disagree.

anbdjhgdfmkgvbskduyfgvsdsdsdgkjvb sdfm,……that’s a new word I just made up. It means “Did I say anywhere in that post that gear grind is better than new content?”

Btw, I didn’t.

Also, we already grind the same content every day, week after week….BECAUSE THEY HAVEN’T ADDED ANYTHING NEW BESIDES SOME CONTENT THAT TAKES ABOUT 3 HOURS TO COMPLETE that has some of the worst story telling in a game I have ever come across.

CoD has better story than this tripe.

3 hours? you must be missing a ton of it!, 3 days and I didnt even get all the sky crystals yet its not even physically possible to get them all in 3 hrs

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I particularly like the current content. So do lots of people I’ve talked to.

We aren’t talking whether or not you or anyone else like the content… Bu is there anything good about removing this content?

So do like the fact that the content we get is temporary? Why?!

Yes, there’s something good about removing it. It keeps people playing together instead of separating out. I mean when the new content comes, people aren’t going to mostly stay here. They’re going to move on.

Stuff like this is successful because if you fall to the ground, there’s usually someone around to rez you…and you will fall.

And when there’s not 12 people in the race…it’s a whole different event.

Sorry but I think Anet called this one right. Obviously others disagree with me, which is fine. but yes, there’s good reasons to not leave content in the game forever.

Vayne.8563

etc… etc..

Same proof you have I assume. Many players like it? lmao. This isn’t even close to a 50/50 split. Just some bots nodding their head to the beat.

This is like the people who are trying to get Microsoft to reinstate their DRM policies for the Xbox.

You don’t know the split and I don’t know the split…but I kitten well guarantee Anet knows who’s playing this stuff. I assume if most people weren’t playing it, it wouldn’t be in the game.

You don’t think that’s a fair assumption? If nothing else there’s a whole lot of overflow servers. Someone must like it.

HiddenNick.7206

We aren’t talking whether or not you or anyone else like the content… Bu is there anything good about removing this content?

Yes, there’s something good about removing it. It keeps people playing together instead of separating out. I mean when the new content comes, people aren’t going to mostly stay here. They’re going to move on.

I don’t think that it has anything to do with the content being removed. It’s more about content being new.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I don’t think that it has anything to do with the content being removed. It’s more about content being new.

Actually his point that by removing it, it keeps the population together by forcing them along the path is valid.

If they’d left it all in, the population would fracture (more so than it already does with just having so many maps)….those that continue with “content a” even after the release of “content b” and those that move on to “content b.” Some of those people, by the time they get bored of “a” and move on to “b” may have issues completing “b” because now the population has moved onto….content “c” through “t.” With each chunk, the population thins. At what point does the previous content become ‘irrelevant’ because it now no longer interests enough people to successfully complete it?

Honestly, it doesn’t seem like it takes all that much time, please see the complaints about not being able to do the Karka Queen meta in Southsun as one example. Please search and review the numerous threads about not being able to find dungeon groups for any number of paths, especially story mode, and the threads regarding people feeling alone in the world zones and thus unable to complete the events in them. Don’t forget the various threads complaining about lack of replayability and the large desire to not bother with alts. The last several examples are of permanent world content, stuff that has been around since day one and shows very well the validity that lots and lots of permanent content falls into disuse as the player base fractures.

That being said, is Living Story perfect? No, some people take issue with it. It doesn’t leave enough impact. It doesn’t last long enough. I agree it could use some tweaks, a better mix of what is left behind and what is not. Colin has said that this is coming, and we’ll see how that goes.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

(edited by LanfearShadowflame.3189)

Posted by: Pointy.9308

Pointy.9308

Oh yeah, where the heck is Tony?

You know, sooner or later every conversation turns out that way.

Yeah, just as Orr was supposedly cleansed as part of the story, but the zone is still teeming with undead. What’s your point?

Well, the Orr is and isn’t cleansed or whatever. For a character that has done the entire story it is but for my lvl 6 guardian it isn’t. But what should be done about it? Change all the areas to state after Zaithans death and put every character that killed him on different server and there use the LS element? What about those who have not completed the story? They wouldn’t get the LS at all? Is there a time table of the LS somewhere? Does it all happen after Zaithan is dead or it is supposed to be like, you know, it can happen anytime? Because that would be my point. Zaithan is dead for certain characters and LS is done for everyone and every character no matter whether you participate in it or not. No matter what part of the story sou are in right now there is the Molten Alliance threat and you either choose to deal with it or you leave it to others. And it changes both the pre and post story world.

I shouldn’t wrote all the things around. What I wanted to say, and I did say it in the end, yes we need more permanent content, I agree there. But the thing that LS is bad for GW2 isn’t true. What is wrong with new content, stories and characters every 14 days? You can do something new even though you reached lvl80, you are fully geared up, you are a dungeon master and whatever else. And if you aren’t hardcore player the content will last you for couple days at least. And like I wrote, more permanent content is comming so what is really the problem? That you do not have the permanent content right now? You guys know what patience is? Afterall, GW2 is not even a year old.

Posted by: Shanna.4762

Shanna.4762

I wish people would give ArenaNet the chance to actually show us what they’re doing for this type of content. It’s obviously gonna be very big, they’ve kept millions of players happy with the temporary and permanent-lite content in the interim while improving the very core features, etc. Colin has said the living story teams are just a part of their whole development team about what seems like 900 times, and a big chunk of them are working on permanent content. Imagine what that will be like when it’s ready, considering it’s been in development for a very long time. I have a feeling this allows them to deliver content now, and have a very strong stream of permanent content without huge gaps between releases in the future.

I’m getting tired of these threads popping up, there’s only about a million of them at this point. Find one that exists and keep it running, like I and many others have with the Cantha thread in my signature.

Posted by: Krosslite.1950

Krosslite.1950

It’s a game, You WILL miss ALOT of things, you can’t expect people to make things revolve around you, It sucks that you ‘have’ to miss alot of things because of RL but that’s just the way things are, You will have to sacrifice one thing to do the other, just because a certain other game that caters to “30min warriors”, doesn’t mean everyone else will follow suit

Best answer for this thread award +1

Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or hold sacred

Krosslite.1950

I wish people would give ArenaNet the chance to actually show us what they’re doing for this type of content. It’s obviously gonna be very big, they’ve kept millions of players happy with the temporary and permanent-lite content in the interim while improving the very core features, etc. Colin has said the living story teams are just a part of their whole development team about what seems like 900 times, and a big chunk of them are working on permanent content. Imagine what that will be like when it’s ready, considering it’s been in development for a very long time. I have a feeling this allows them to deliver content now, and have a very strong stream of permanent content without huge gaps between releases in the future.

I’m getting tired of these threads popping up, there’s only about a million of them at this point. Find one that exists and keep it running, like I and many others have with the Cantha thread in my signature.

2nd best response in this thread award +1

Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or hold sacred

Posted by: Ronah.2869

Ronah.2869

Lets remember GW1 had Nicholas the Traveler which was collecting different item every week for giving you 5 gifts. Players were farming these items in various locations each week and then use or sell the gifts.
The gifts were giving you consumable which were good for getting titles. Players who sold them for gold, they were later using the gold for getting other titles

Does this sound familiar?

Yes, GW2 has transformed the Nicholas from GW1 into the Living Story:
- it happens (almost) on a weekly basis
- it happens in different zones
- it is mainly a farming activity: 40 Sky Crystals, 50 Ascalonian Aetherblades, 300 Fireworks, 16 Samples on Southsun Cove, etc
- it helps players get different achievement points and / or titles

So, A-Net has just improved the concept of Nicholas the Traveler from GW1 in a better way because the Living Story
- has more depth regarding story and lore,
- adds more diversity and complexity to a basic farming/grinding activity
- helps introducing new zones / minigames / etc into the game in a more natural way then a simple expansion patch

(edited by Ronah.2869)

Posted by: The Talcmaster.7391

The Talcmaster.7391

It’s a game, You WILL miss ALOT of things, you can’t expect people to make things revolve around you, It sucks that you ‘have’ to miss alot of things because of RL but that’s just the way things are, You will have to sacrifice one thing to do the other, just because a certain other game that caters to “30min warriors”, doesn’t mean everyone else will follow suit

Best answer for this thread award +1

I’m sorry, but that’s a bullkitten excuse if ever I’ve heard one. I can count the number of games I’ve played on one hand that I end up permanently missing content because of real world engagements or just not feeling like playing at the moment. And I run the risk of missing out on more content in this game than all the others combined if I don’t play it constantly.

Since my one line is being quoted so regularly, I might just add it to my signature. Here’s a paraphrase of one I heard in a business tweet just the other day:
Few customers complain, most just don’t come back.

So every time you see a complaint about something in the game, that means someone else has stopped playing because of it, and likely won’t return.

Fort Aspenwood – [fury], [SAO], [NICE]
Fun on someone else’s schedule is not fun

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

Again look at the long term here. New content every 2 weeks. Leave it all in the game. Guy takes a break for three months, which happens. He comes back to a new thing and 11 things he’s missed. Missing stuff frustrates some people. Having too much to choose from, not knowing how to catch up would frustrate even more people.

And this might go on for a year. 104 updates for a year. Leave them all in? Not only would it divide the playerbase, but it would be completely overwhelming to most people.

Sandbox MMOs have never done was well as theme parks, probably for that reason.

No offense but where in the beginning I did not agree with you but I saw you as just a guy who passionately be-leaved in it the last few reactions give me more and more the feeling you will defend Anet for anything as your arguments begin to make less and less sense and ‘jump all over the place’.

It’s like you sort off ‘lost an argument’, lost in the way you don’t have really any arguments left against the other people but still try to hold on to your point? Then agree to disagree or just maybe chains your point of view.

First you talk about how people don’t know where to start, while everything always direct to the stuff that is active on that moment. So people who don’t care just start with whatever is active.

Now you even say people might not like to miss out on stuff…… what?? Yeah indeed they don’t! thats the whole point isn’t it.. The big difference is that when they leave it in they still have an option to do it anyway while if it is really gone they can’t do never do it anymore.. So guess what those people will prefer.. You here basically agree with the people against temporary content while trying to disagree with them.

And then you basically say that it might be so much content thats it’s to much.. That would mean that any expansion would have the same effect.. and if I am correct (might be mixing up two people) you said you could not compare GW2 to WoW in a discussion with another person because WoW had already way more years to create content.. Well if I would believe your last statement that would be a bad thing.

Posted by: Warruz.8096

Warruz.8096

I felt like it was worth tossing my hat in the ring with the OP.

Long story short i decided to stop playing during dragonbash (did not care for the event at all) and i simply havnt come back yet and most likely wont until i see something permanent added. The further we get from when i quit the less likely i am to return as im just missing more and more, in addition to this there isnt anything added beyond the current event that i have experienced all ready.

The amount of content that existed when i quit and return is the same as nothing permanent has been added.

The issue with this type of content is thats its great when you are playing, however once you take that break it actually creates a barrier to return.

Why was Crab Toss Removed? – http://tinyurl.com/kvbaakq

Devata.6589

…..

1/2

“And whether you farm them directly or by farming gold (unless you take CoF p1 which like I said is inbalanced) it will not make a difference which way you go” for many people it does. Farming directly for what you need (mats, of even better the skins / weapon / armor itself) will for many people be more fun then farming for currency’s to eventually buy them.

And no it’s not impossible.. bots do it.. but for people if they want to go for mats they need to go for gold. The hour / time price is not the same. This most likely has to do with the fact that people who are not looking for the mats might also get a drop. When farming is so near impossible those drops will be the reason the price will be lower then what you can earn by forming the same time for money.

“Thing is the fact its gone forever is what gives it value though. " The fact that it is rare gives it value.. yes if it’s gone it’s really really rare but if something is not gone it can still be very rare.

Legendary weapons aren’t gone but they still have high value because they are rare. So no need to take it out to create rareness / value.

“Never converted money into in game gold. It took me a lot of effort to get 3 tickets and I am very happy of getting those 3 tickets, it feels like an achievement, it makes it satisfying. If I could farm those skins forever I would have gotten the complete set in time and so would everyone else” So everybody has Eternity? And even if some people do not have it yet (because they just started) they all will get it? No they won’t.

If something is really hard to get (and fun, as I don’t see RNG boxes as fun) then the people who really want it might go for it, or they will buy it as some people prefer that. But it will still be rare and not everybody will have it.. If there was only 1 cool set to get you where correct with with many rare mini’s, weapons and armor in the game not everybody will get everything. And for that same reason they will also not all look similar.

If I still had the change I would farm for the jet-pack because I liked that. From Halloween I did like some weapons and I indeed might also have goon for those but (assuming it will return next year) I will go for that next year and I likes the SAB skins. I however did not like the skins from the last stand at south sun so would not try to get that while somebody else maybe might not like the MF, Halloween and SAB skins but prefer to go for the south sun.

So taking it out would not mean you all look the same. Making sure there is a lot good looking armor / weapons in will already prevent people from looking the same. And for the people who like to look really unique there is the rare stuff they can buy or farm by doing dungeons, killing mobs or in whatever other it is possible to get that skin. Just as it works with the legendary weapons.

" I had a friend who’s been trying to get a specific mount in wow for 3 years! 3 whole years! and she might be at it for 48+ years in total because it has a 1% drop rate in a raid of 25 which is locked to once a week. Is that any better then temporary content? I dont think so…" Yes it is as there still is a possibility to get it and tell me.. why did she not buy it at the TP? Maybe she did prefer to try and get it as a drop in stead of farming for gold? Now try this in GW2.. your friend had no possibility at all to get the mount.

For the record, I do agree something like that should not be behind a weekly lock but except for that yeah I would prefer that and it also shows that what you said about not being unique when something will stay in forever is not correct.

“and still they have items that are much much harder to get then in Gw2” isn’t impossible to get not infinitely much harder then extreme hard to get? I already agreed it should not be behind a weekly lock but except for that yes then I would prefer the rare drop over the.. nope, not possible anymore.

“and while not temporary still the biggest majority of players will never get them.” so now you say many people will get it.. meaning it is not so very unique while before you where saying it was unique because people could not get it anymore and that was good. You are contradicting yourself here. Just saying.

Devata.6589

2/2

“Thats why I am skeptic about blaming such things on the cash shop. Some things could just as easily be game design decisions.”

It could but it’s unlikely. Like I said, it’s a very commonly used marketing trick. So while it would be possible, with the scenario as we know it, it’s extremely unlikely it has not to do with the gem-store focus. And they will of course never tell us if it is.. they might even deny it if they would be asked. But to be 100% sure you should be there when they talk about this sort of stuff. But with some common sense you should see how it is most likely linked to it. So most likely that I am 100% convinced of it.

""“the more successful the cash shop after all the better they can make the game. How about.. the more successful the game the more cash they can make…? "

This is exactly the same thing seen from different angles. "

No it is not.. In the first one they focus on the cash shop to make money with it.. you then say.. with that money they can make the game better.. While forgetting that the cash-shop focus might make the game worse and it’s not guaranteed that they make the game better, they also just might make a bigger profit.

With the second version there is a good game and because of that they make more money / profit.

Devata.6589

I dont believe gw2 is on the decline at all. If it were they’d be working on an expansion rather then focusing on the cash shop for one.

I also don’t think they are on the decline because I agree with the topic starter. What they are doing it bad in the long run.

However saying that if they would be on the decline they would be making an expansion in stead of focusing on the cash shop seems to be false.

Most MMO’s that are on a decline start focusing on a cash shop trying to get some money that way while they can not work on an expansion simply because they don’t have the money / investors for it.

Devata.6589

I think we have two schools of thought here and honestly They both have very valid arguments. I mean it!

Temporary content is good because it provides stuff to do, changes the world tangibly and avoids fracturing the playerbase

Permanent content is good because it allows you to play everything at your own pace, makes it so you can gain those rewards eventually, enriches the world at large.

So I’ve been thinking and I got an idea how you could merge both of these together.

What if we got a herald / historian / whatever in FotM who’s job would be to tweak the whatever machine that makes fractal work to focus on specific episodes in time, 1 month at a time. So this month you could relive the events / activities of the flame and frost event while next month it might be the lost shores story.

Now this would require some changes going forward i would assume, I mean for something like this to work the story driving events would have to be instanced. Unless Anet doesnt have the technology to create replayable instances of real world events easily.. that would be totally awesome if it would work.

I think it might be a good idea.. you talk to this npc and he asks you what you want to relive and then you choose like say Dragon Ball or you choose the effigy ceremony and you get to play that.

I think that would solve the biggest issues of both schools. Players will be able to re-experience the older content they might have missed / really enjoyed and at the same time it would still limit fragmentation as it will not all be available at the same time.

It’s better then it is now. I was also thinking about something like that however I still prefer to simply link achievements, rewards / skins and dungeons to the non-temporary part while there is room for a temporary event / story that you can still view somewhere.

And like I said to you in another comment I don’t like locking something behind a day / week whatever.
Besides it would not work here.. They keep releasing new content so you need to keep adding those events in the ‘machine’ and it will never be able to keep running circles of the events.

But lets say they would make it simply available somewhere so you can always decide where you want to go.. so some time travel machine. I would be oke with that. It is not my first choice but it would work for me and I would be happy with that change.

(edited by Devata.6589)

Posted by: Aramean.2354

Aramean.2354

For me, I don’t mind the concept of temporary content. Seasonal holidays and one-time events that are having an effect on the world can actually make a lot of sense to be implemented as temporary.

My overall disappointment is with what types of content is made temporary and with how small of a time-frame some of the content is available for. For example, the holiday events that we’ve experienced like the winter holiday and the mad king event make total sense to be temporary. I really enjoyed some of that content so I hope some of the same stuff returns at the same time this year but I’m not upset that this was temporary content. Even the current bazaar activities, which are really fun IMO, make sense to be temporary but I’ll miss them when they are gone.

What I don’t understand is why the new gathering material is going to be temporary. I know that you can get permanent access to it by completing the meta achievement but I don’t like that decision. Armor and weapon skins that reflect the current content totally make sense as something that is temporarily available. But a new stat set that is an addition to all of the professions feels like something that should be permanent. If I couldn’t get on this month, for whatever reason, I would not have access to creating gear with the new stats. That seems like something that could be added permanently. For example, they added the Apothecary set and kept the karka shells as something everyone could get to regardless of whether or not they experienced the initial content of the zone. Again, skins make total sense to be a limited time availability but I wish the new stat sets and profession updates would be permanent.

The only other complaint that I have is that some of the dungeons were available for 2 weeks or less. That time frame just seems too short to me. It’s actually somewhat sad to see a new dungeon that the development team worked so kitten be temporary content….but I understand that some of these dungeons are around to tell a story that is part of ever-changing content….so I get the temporary idea there. I just wish ‘temporary’ was at least a month to give people adequate time to experience them.

Overall, I don’t mind temporary content. I just hope that (as ArenaNet has said recently) that there is more permanent content coming soon and as stated above I would love to see some minor tweaks to how they approach temporary content.

Posted by: Stone.6751

Stone.6751

I like the temporary content. The completionist in me is sad when I don’t get 100% of it done, but then the next thing pops up and I’m happy to have something new and be done with the old.

GW2 is still a fairly new game and I predict that people will one day look back on each of the temporary events with nostalgia.

Penny Royalty – Level 80 Guardian
Raingarde – Level 80 Necromancer

Posted by: Serdoc.7261

Serdoc.7261

Some heated words in here it seems

TOO MUCH temporary content, IMO, would be bad in the long run. A combination of temporary content and permanent content would be a solid path forward, not too much of either.

I’m not sure, can you, umm…. do that again? ROM – 2015
#allisvain

Posted by: The Talcmaster.7391

The Talcmaster.7391

Some heated words in here it seems

TOO MUCH temporary content, IMO, would be bad in the long run. A combination of temporary content and permanent content would be a solid path forward, not too much of either.

This is more or less it. It’s not the quality of the content being debated, it’s the temporary nature of it (keep that in mind people) And it’s not that the occasional one shot thing to promote a new area opening up or whatever is bad either. I have no problem making time for something like that if it were a tiny thing, and only happened a few times a year. It was really cool to see the mad king burst out of the fountain, and to fend LA against the Karkas (couldn’t really see anything with all the culling, but that’s not the point).

Doing it all the time like this is going to make sure that people who take a break from the game don’t come back.

Fort Aspenwood – [fury], [SAO], [NICE]
Fun on someone else’s schedule is not fun

Devata.6589

I like the temporary content. The completionist in me is sad when I don’t get 100% of it done, but then the next thing pops up and I’m happy to have something new and be done with the old.

GW2 is still a fairly new game and I predict that people will one day look back on each of the temporary events with nostalgia.

I don’t mind temporary events and I think most people don’t. I do mind temporary achievements, rewards / skins / items and dungeons.

And you can also look at new stuff while you still have the possibility to do the old stuff.

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

The problem with temporary content is when you have contract jobs and have to take a 1 month break because a few contracts come in at the same time. You end up missing tons of stuff and important part of the living story.

Otherwise the quality of the new content is great, I just wished I could enjoy all of it.

Krosslite.1950

The first part of your sentence many people do not wish to acknowledge. As has been pointed out. Two other MMOs that are out at this time did not add any new content for over a year.
Here we are in the middle of the tenth month and we ARE getting new content. This blows all other MMOs out of the water. People should just be happy with that fact alone, but they would rather complain.

As to the second part of your sentence. I believe you are correct and I will go a step further in saying; with speculation. That they may even say that GW2 was one of the best MMOs they have experienced

Devata.6589

The first part of your sentence many people do not wish to acknowledge. As has been pointed out. Two other MMOs that are out at this time did not add any new content for over a year.
Here we are in the middle of the tenth month and we ARE getting new content. This blows all other MMOs out of the water. People should just be happy with that fact alone, but they would rather complain.

As to the second part of your sentence. I believe you are correct and I will go a step further in saying; with speculation. That they may even say that GW2 was one of the best MMOs they have experienced

Many of those complainers hope your last part to become true but see some problems with the current stuff Anet is doing thinking it will for sure not be what they will say if Anet keeps on doing this.. And because they would like it will become that way they are here to let Anet know what they think.. Because thats what Anet asked.

Krosslite.1950

I don’t mind temporary events and I think most people don’t. I do mind temporary ……, rewards / skins / items ……

I wanted to key in on this part of your comment Devata.

One of the main driving factors in any MMO for many players is the ability to show off the latest and greatest toy. In most MMOs it was due to the fact that it also did the most damage for the moment. It was also due to the uniqueness of this item.
You had the newest “Shiny” to steal a word from the Skritt.

These temporary skins creates a sense if individuality that most seek to have in these game. How would you feel if everyone was running around with the Molten Alliance Greatsword on their back. It would lose meaning and interest. It would not be unique but the standard.

This is one of the things that makes me like GW2 even more. Your character or characters have their own personal look. Not just through dying their armor, but with their weapons as well. To those that RP this is a great thing. To those that live vicariously through their characters it gives them a sense that they are special as long as they have the skin.

So next year the Molten Alliance returns and more people get that skin. Then another event come along and it was a greatsword skin that leaves all other wanting and you and a few others get it. You are now the special one. Someone may come up to you and say “hey cool sword” you can thank them and move on or even join up with them in a group.

That is the purpose of the temp skins. There will more to come and there will be old ones that come back. Just go with the flow and enjoy the ride.

As will the axe, the pick and the sickle.

(edited by Krosslite.1950)

Vayne.8563

Again look at the long term here. New content every 2 weeks. Leave it all in the game. Guy takes a break for three months, which happens. He comes back to a new thing and 11 things he’s missed. Missing stuff frustrates some people. Having too much to choose from, not knowing how to catch up would frustrate even more people.

And this might go on for a year. 104 updates for a year. Leave them all in? Not only would it divide the playerbase, but it would be completely overwhelming to most people.

Sandbox MMOs have never done was well as theme parks, probably for that reason.

No offense but where in the beginning I did not agree with you but I saw you as just a guy who passionately be-leaved in it the last few reactions give me more and more the feeling you will defend Anet for anything as your arguments begin to make less and less sense and ‘jump all over the place’.

It’s like you sort off ‘lost an argument’, lost in the way you don’t have really any arguments left against the other people but still try to hold on to your point? Then agree to disagree or just maybe chains your point of view.

First you talk about how people don’t know where to start, while everything always direct to the stuff that is active on that moment. So people who don’t care just start with whatever is active.

Now you even say people might not like to miss out on stuff…… what?? Yeah indeed they don’t! thats the whole point isn’t it.. The big difference is that when they leave it in they still have an option to do it anyway while if it is really gone they can’t do never do it anymore.. So guess what those people will prefer.. You here basically agree with the people against temporary content while trying to disagree with them.

And then you basically say that it might be so much content thats it’s to much.. That would mean that any expansion would have the same effect.. and if I am correct (might be mixing up two people) you said you could not compare GW2 to WoW in a discussion with another person because WoW had already way more years to create content.. Well if I would believe your last statement that would be a bad thing.

I had a lot more respect for you before you started to get personal. I’m not losing this argument but I am responding to lots of ideas and people and sometime my post run together. And by repeating the same things over and over doesn’t make them more right.

Everyone knows where to start on CURRENT content. That’s not really the point. But no one knows where to start once they finish the current content. So a guy does what’s currently there, and spends a few days a week in the new content. He only has 1 week before the next new content comes out.

So he goes where? Remember this story is relatively linear. So he goes from the refugees on Southsun backwards to the MF dungeon? Does he go from the Sky Pirates back to the mystery where they first appear?

When I go through this content, there’s an understanding of continuity. It’s not great stuff, but it’s followable. The context for some people is important. I’m following a story and characters. Obviously not everyone well.

Throwing it all in at once ruins the context and with maybe a week to go back and do four chapters now, ten chapters in another 12 weeks….you’re not seeing this problem because you personally wouldn’t experience this problem.

I’m TELLING you (not a guess) it would be a problem for a lot of people. You want tons of content and you want everything there. Fair enough.

But the casual audience of this game that ducks in and out, once they finish the current content would go exactly where?

This game is designed around casual people and people jumping in and out of the game. Keeping this as temporary content KEEPS the game a casual game. Particularly now that there are rewards for achievement points.

Making people have to keep up, even as they’re doing it now, is too much for most people. And you’re wanting them to add stuff that people would feel they have to go back to do.

It’s a bad move.