Upcoming changes in Spring Quarterly Update

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: cptaylor.2670

cptaylor.2670

Scribing cost reduced will be nice, but it’s still a little frustrating that if I decide to make something in my guild (Which I have permission now I think) I have to have special permission to use a basic decoration I paid for in order to put said created item in the assembly which I also need permission for. A lot of people would be more interested in the profession if it weren’t so restrictive to solo play.

It would also be great if the decoration items from scribing weren’t so restrictive. Having to make all of these items that are already expensive is a pain. Would be great if these items were just schematics that unlocked them at the decorations vendor so that I could purchase them for the already high price of 50 silver per item and use them at will. As it is now, most guilds will only ever see a handful of these decorations due to the insane cost of creating them, and on top of that only have maybe one or two of each item. At the very least can we get an addition of more basic decorations?

I get I’m part of a probably small demographic of people that love having a guild hall for the sake of decorating it, but I’m sure I’m not the ONLY one.

As to WvW, I never did the original so I have nothing to compare it to. Would be great if there was a little more player versus player in them. But having Gliding in them would be great as well.

Now lastly, aside from these two things and the already mentioned stuff about reducing the grind and creating “better rewards” I wouldn’t hold my breath about some huge surprise update being held back. If you have the idea that something big is planned they haven’t talked about you’re probably setting yourself up for disappointment. I’m a little disappointed that we have to wait until after the pvp season ends for each one of these updates, but I’m not expecting nearly as much as some of the people in these forums. They’ve been working on this quarterly update since before the legendary announcement, so I doubt that has any impact on this update or whatever content people are expecting.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love a new map or something, but I certainly am not expecting it. Pretty sure this was meant to be a revision update from the get go.

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

how can it be elaborated on if no one knows
and before you ask, no. no dev is going to tell you specifics.
you can hypothesize like the rest of us or just not care cuz its such a small change.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

Posted by: DontPaniC.8740

DontPaniC.8740

I just wanted to note that since taking out the lag event in the middle I actually like the desert map except for the giant pointless random cliffs north of fire keep on the upper part. Also add something like a legendary dino in the center for fun.

Posted by: Stramatus.5219

Stramatus.5219

Why not do the borderland maps on a rotation? I agree that for balance and fairness reasons, all 3 servers need the same maps, but I don’t see why you have to scrap them entirely (to be fair, I’ve not played the desert maps much since they came out to know what the problems are). I mostly finished the HOT story (full expansion my butt) and then got bored. But definitely fond memories of the alpine maps.

Sir Helvidius | Sir Beregond | Proud Ascalonian Humans
“Remember The Searing. We never forget, and never forgive.” – Family Motto

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

GJ Mo, like what I’m reading.

For the WvW maps conversation, this “Oh but everyone I know……” give a flippin rest already. Then this, “Oh but people that love it just don’t use the forums” is an horrid excuse. Would you like to know who doesn’t use the forums, all those players that left the game! That’s the absolute best indicator of the new map not working. That player retention is down.

Have a little faith, it’s obvious Mo and the entire staff are trying.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

(edited by DeWolfe.2174)

Posted by: Anhomedog.7968

Anhomedog.7968

I have recently returned from a long break a week or 2 ago, and recently learned about the april release of new stuff! So what is coming with this new update? Sorry if its readily available somewhere, I haven’t exactly look :/. If there is just throw me a link! Thanks!

Ride the Lightning: Movement speed adjustments
no longer affect the intended travel distance.
-The Pros at ANET

Posted by: nottsgman.8206

nottsgman.8206

mostly this:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Upcoming-changes-in-Spring-Quarterly-Update/
(clicking the links in the post also directs you to other info about upcoming changes in April)

70 ‘mains’ and waiting for more slots
| 61 Asura | 5 Charr | 2 Norn | 1 Human | 1 Sylvari |

Posted by: Kalarchis.8635

Kalarchis.8635

Mo, I gotta say, I like your style. Keep it up.

Posted by: TheMagickDoll.7594

TheMagickDoll.7594

But it may be good for the bottom line if it brings in new players who buy the game.

You may not like how college athletic divisions are organized around football if you are a basketball fan but the money college football generates but in the end it funds the rest of a college’s sport programs.

Translation, if it’s good for the bottom line, it’s good for the game.

Having worked at a college, sports tend to be the black hole money pits which is never good for the rest of the college programs, with over paid coaches and under paid teachers. it has never been good for the bottom line.

But I do appreciate Mike being straight forward and open to the community that still play this game, which I am sure is a thankless job. I still worried about the future of the game being under NCsoft but I have my fingers crossed. (Do not want to see a repeat of City of Heroes/Villains blunder on NCsoft part again.)

Posted by: Ronnie Hu.1694

Ronnie Hu.1694

Mo, I gotta say, I like your style. Keep it up.

agreed

Posted by: OmskCamill.6412

OmskCamill.6412

Hi MO. Just wanted to say I appreciate your style of communication.

Posted by: Zhou.3605

Zhou.3605

As it has been stated, we want our legendary weapons that were promised and were paid for with HoT. I refuse to buy your next expansion, as the legendary devs are being pulled to work on LS instead of some of the devs from your next expansion. Please by all means, pull devs off what you promised, so you can make more empty promises for a new expansion. I feel LIED to.

Posted by: Rose Solane.1027

Rose Solane.1027

But as we’re locking in the contents of the quarterly update, there are some specific things I should tell you about today.

We’ll have to retire two of the current achievements, Casual Fractal Hero and Core Fractal Hero. While we’ll introduce new achievements to replace the ones we’re retiring, any progress made toward the old achievements will not count toward the new ones. If you’ve been working toward the old achievements, you have a few weeks or so left to wrap them up.

With the quarterly update we’ll also reduce scribing costs across-the-board.

I wanted to give this early heads-up about these areas.

First of all, thank you for using your own site to announce this. I hope ArenaNet continues to use this forum to announce changes and use other platforms (reddit, facebook, twitter) only as secondary sources.

I quoted the most important parts (for me) from your post. Sadly, after seeing all the comments here, it took me a second time reading it to realize that it just wasn’t a wall of text. “I wanted to give this early heads-up about these areas.” These are the changes we need to know upfront to be able to react to them. Off course more changes will be included.
I was surprised that you also included a WvW part as it contains nothing we need to know now to prepare. But I guess it needed to be mentioned because of discussions with the WvW community I didn’t followed.

I will reconsider if I want to finish the Casual Fractal Hero achievement. I will wait with scribing until this patch. I will post a message on the forum of my guild about this early heads-up. And next time I will read your post more carefully

Piken Square, The descendants of Gwen

Posted by: fishball.7204

fishball.7204

They probably want us to redo them all yet again cuz it’s so fun! Gotta rerun all them fun fun fun exciting core fractals!!!!!

FOR THE GREEEEEEEEEEEEN

Posted by: Zantisgod.1453

Zantisgod.1453

Finally my old alpine maps back :‘( :’( thanks God and Atnet

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

I hope they’re considering all options. My pet favorite is having both BLs but who knows. Hopefully we can get more news soon.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

Posted by: zwolf.1695

zwolf.1695

My only request for the return of the Alpine Maps is to please, for the love of the game, removed the ability to place trebs in spawn. K, thx.

Xio the Watcher – DWD of Blackgate

Posted by: Ignigknawt.7869

Ignigknawt.7869

Is Ad Infinitum (the legendary fractal backpiece) coming in this update?

^Was literally just about to ask this.

“Many times I’ve wondered…how much there is to know.”

Posted by: Grav.3568

Grav.3568

Two weeks ago we polled the WvW community about Desert versus Alpine borderlands. The majority of players asked us to bring Alpine back. We’ll do that.

This is not the only thing that needs to happen, but it is at least the most important thing that needs to happen.

I’ll be waiting.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

They have said they are changing the tiering. This may make the achievements depending on this tiering no longer applicable. Now, the question is why the other two achievements, for levels 50-75 and 76-100 are not affected.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: soundsonic.1704

soundsonic.1704

No new content? It was a pity to buy heart of thorns expansion. 4 new map 45 eur… Cool!

Posted by: fizzypetal.7936

fizzypetal.7936

Thanks a bunch for the communication MO, it is much appreciated. Regardless of how the comms are received by sections of the community, I sure hope you’ll continue to keep us in the loop. Roll on April!

Posted by: Elmo Benchwarmer.3025

Elmo Benchwarmer.3025

As stated before, I really appreciate your company’s new stance on communication.

Despite a very positive impression, your post sadly left out any information on the class and skill balance. Are you going to undo or at least alleviate the power creep introduced in June and October 2015? The quality and enjoyment of the combat has taken a serious blow on both occasions and I would strongly dislike to see the situation degenerate even further.

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

Crossing fingers for everybody that the April update will be a huge step into the right direction and that all of us (anet and players alike) get some breathing room with that.
but it might well be that it will take quite a few patches to make pvp and wvw “good” again – I actually think wvw will need a lot of attention.
I get that a lot of PvE players are disappointed, but to me the core is more important than new stuff.

Posted by: ToT.7018

ToT.7018

I’m sure there will be lots more to the quarterly update.
Sound to me like were just getting the early heads up on things that people might want to finish or put on hold til the update hits.
I’m sure if we didnt get it there would be lots more anger at people not being able to finish fractals or they just spent 100’s of gold the day before on scribing.
Just have to wait and see.

Posted by: Dax.4328

Dax.4328

Have you considering reusing the Desert Borderlands Map as a PvE Map? I think it could be a great SW kind of map once gliding is allowed. That way you wouldn’t have to discard it right away. It is a very high quality map, I just think it wasn’t mean to be for WvW

Posted by: Zoss.2871

Zoss.2871

Mr. Mo if you bring back the Alpin BL, can you please Start a Season 3 Tournament in WvWvW. I need some Mark for the mist weapon. :-D

Posted by: SkyFallsInThunder.8257

SkyFallsInThunder.8257

The answer to your question is right there in MO’s post.

The phrase that baffles you “any progress made toward the old achievements will not count toward the new ones” is part of a larger sentence which mentions that they will introduce new achievements to replace the ones retired (meaning the casual and core fractal hero, as he says). Therefore the “old achievements” in this case refer strictly to the casual and core fractal hero achievements.

I really don’t see how this is not clear…

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

Ooh, I guess I need to pull out my finger and finish off the two remaining fractals: 18 and 20 I think. I assumed they would be included in the daily rotation but I don’t think they have.

Posted by: felessan.9587

felessan.9587

Thanks for the heads-up about the Fractal achievements!

No new content? It was a pity to buy heart of thorns expansion. 4 new map 45 eur… Cool!

It sounds like people have forgotten that ArenaNet has made a very strong distinction between “balance” and “content” patches in the past. Quarterly balance patches won’t contain much, if any, new content (though the Fractal changes in this one may be something significant). Balance patches are intended to fix or alter existing content, not provide a boatload of new stuff.

From the most recent release schedule that I’ve seen, new content is supposed to resume in July or so. Yes, that means 9 months without any actual content updates. MO implied that the pace is unacceptable to them too.

Posted by: Aidenwolf.5964

Aidenwolf.5964

Thanks for the heads-up about the Fractal achievements!

It sounds like people have forgotten that ArenaNet has made a very strong distinction between “balance” and “content” patches in the past. Quarterly balance patches won’t contain much, if any, new content (though the Fractal changes in this one may be something significant). Balance patches are intended to fix or alter existing content, not provide a boatload of new stuff.

From the most recent release schedule that I’ve seen, new content is supposed to resume in July or so. Yes, that means 9 months without any actual content updates. MO implied that the pace is unacceptable to them too.

After selling the expansion as a doorway to future updates. God forbid I remember what they sold me.

Buy To Play Guild Wars 2 2012-2015 – RIP
Unlucky since launch, RNG isn’t random
PugLife SoloQ

Posted by: Quadox.7834

Quadox.7834

Clearly this is not the whole of the news for the update, merely the need-to-know stuff.

Clearly.

Source?

CAN YOU READ THE POST BEFORE COMMENTING?

“But as we’re locking in the contents of the quarterly update, there are some specific things I should tell you about today.”

Sorry, that was out of line

Yaniam [Mesmer]

^ Usually only characer that i play on

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

Its sad that I need to quote it for you really:

It actually takes quite a bit of time to dust off old content and bring it up to the current game state, so it won’t happen in time for the quarterly release. Instead we’ll launch the quarterly update with improvements to Desert, use that as an opportunity to get the community’s feedback on those changes, then we’ll swap to Alpine when it’s ready.

The borderlands change obviously being the change to Alpine. But sure edit it.

That confirms what I said.

“We’ll launch the quarterly update with improvements to the Desert…”

Yup, it confirms what we both said. Your first edit said that alpine was part of the update, hence I quoted it. But then you edited it to correct which makes it a bit silly. xD All is good.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

Is there a possibility of adding the dessert borderland as a PvE Map?

It already is a pve map.

Hahaha! Sorry. The bare truth in this post is just… ouch! :p

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

Im not sure at all why anyone wants alpine back, those maps are so old. the new maps were way too large but atleast they were new. Its the actual lay out of wvw and what you do in it that sucks, not the new maps, but I guess people really did want that back…

New =/= good

DBL → too annoying to navigate, too many gimmicks, a pve event in the middle of the map that bugged out.

ABL → easy to navigate around the map due to smaller side and less verticality, perfect for open field battles aswell, no gimmicks.

Tbh, if you give ABL the graphic improvements of DBL it will appeal to many more players than DBL ever did.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

Posted by: Timotej.2346

Timotej.2346

Thank you very much for the updates. And I find it very cool that they are telling us stuf and not keeping us in the dark. Keep up the good work.

Every choice is the death of all other possibilities.

Posted by: Sird.4536

Sird.4536

Whenever Anet have said ‘this isn’t everything there is more to come’ there never is. In the AMA Colin himself said the April update was more QoL and reading this it looks that way as well. Where is the content? Oh wait….one new legendary.

RP enthusiast

Posted by: Squee.7829

Squee.7829

Hey guys. To be fair, we don’t know what is coming in April. There’s no need to complain so early. I mean, based on previous experiences, it’s a pretty solid bet that you’re all right and there really won’t be much. We’ll have plenty of chances to complain then. So, you know… I’m not saying don’t complain. I’m just saying be patient.

(Seriously though, I find it hard to be hopefully optimistic anymore).

Leader and sole member of the “Bring Penguins to Tyria” movement.

Sird.4536

Hey guys. To be fair, we don’t know what is coming in April. There’s no need to complain so early. I mean, based on previous experiences, it’s a pretty solid bet that you’re all right and there really won’t be much. We’ll have plenty of chances to complain then. So, you know… I’m not saying don’t complain. I’m just saying be patient.

(Seriously though, I find it hard to be hopefully optimistic anymore).

As you said it is hard to be optimistic anymore because of their track record in delivering updates.

RP enthusiast

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

What the heck is scribing :o

Sird.4536

New crafting profession introduced with the expansion for guilds to craft decorations etc. Overly expensive.

RP enthusiast

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

New crafting profession introduced with the expansion for guilds to craft decorations etc. Overly expensive.

I see… so only really cosmetic then?

Posted by: Sich.7103

Sich.7103

nop, you need that to be able to apply guild upgrade in WvW or to be able to reactivate the guild aura that you had before HoT…..

Posted by: DaviDoff.1450

DaviDoff.1450

finaly Alpine borderlands .. thx Mo you are the best

Posted by: Connor Obrian.8420

Connor Obrian.8420

I hope that this will boost the WvW again It’s so sad that this awesome game mode is nearly dead at the moment.

Nonetheless, I hope that you will also introduce some new features and improvements to the PvE. The Heart of Thorns Maps need some work.

Btw, what will happen with the Desert borderlands? Will we ever see it again?

Posted by: lighter.2708

lighter.2708

how about you start by fixing warrior first

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

So, does this include class balancing?

Class balancing is a PvP issue. I do not believe this idea deserves any dev time because most of us would like to see content instead.

You’re only speaking for yourself, though. I want to see more content added too. Class balancing is a big issue in PvP, and it should be addressed soon.

Balance team also has nothing to do with content generators. No reason not to have class balance and content.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

So, does this include class balancing?

Class balancing is a PvP issue. I do not believe this idea deserves any dev time because most of us would like to see content instead.

You’re only speaking for yourself, though. I want to see more content added too. Class balancing is a big issue in PvP, and it should be addressed soon.

Balance team also has nothing to do with content generators. No reason not to have class balance and content.

Unfortunately the balance is really off as it has been neglected for too long – I guess a lot of people are needed to fix it. We have been bashing each other’s heads in on the Thief forums since before June – all of us have different playstyles, favourite game modes, use different builds and different weapons. Even the 20+ of us lamenting about one single class couldn’t really come to any conclusions.
And this is the general forums, so you guys think that most players want content – it looks the other way around though if you look at that the pvp, wvw and all class forums.

Posted by: Felahr.9830

Felahr.9830

Mike I like how nobody from anet has addressed anyones concerns about what they actually want (the legendaries you promised) but here you are, cajoling and plastering fake smiles all over content that nobody gives two kittens about, like we are little children that need to be told what to get excited over.

Posted by: Phex.8423

Phex.8423

Hey MO, it’s really nice to see you giving us updates about upcoming changes.

I guess it’s time to bust out those lingering Fractal achievements then!