In my opinion, this game requires too much grind

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Revolution.6301

Revolution.6301

Hi I like the rest of you bought into this game but I feel like I was punched in the gut and laughed at.
This game was suppose to built on not having grind. This was one of Anet’s key manifesto points however now:
1. Legendary weapon grind
2. Gold Grind – you need atleast 100 gold for the ideal build and armor you want. If you want any of the ‘special’ weapon look at grinding out atleast another 300-500 gold (legend range for a min of 1.5k to 2.5k) -unless your brilliant at investing or lucky your looking at around 50-60 hours of grinding to get the armor and build you want. Ironically in GW1 which was ‘suppose’ to be more of a grind this was alot simplier and easier.
Another key point of their manifesto was no gear grind as of now there is:
1. Ascended gear (what?! isn’t this what they said WOULD NOT happen? Did they not say how they disproved of this? How the game should be about having fun?)
They already stated they tend to add more gear grinds later how (Why? The game was released for only 3 months and Anet felt they had to add in a gear grind already?) I can’t imagine what will happen in a year from now.
2. Karma gear -to get one set of karma get you need atleast 240k karma. Yeah for the above avg. causal – to hardcore this is possible but for us casuals this is NOT possible in a reasonable amount of time.

And finally did they not state how this was directed towards everyday? People who simply do not have the time to put in 100s of hours into the game? The information given above tends to differ.
What I don’t understand and what the community in general is confused about is why this game was marked towards people who don’t like grind. Simple put, why not market it towards the people that love grind? (not saying that is bad but it is a completly different market)

Posted by: Nabrok.9023

Nabrok.9023

It absolutely was not ever stated by anybody that there would be no grind. It has always been intended that there would be grind for cosmetics.

Legendary weapons are cosmetic, they have no better stats than exotics.

Ascended gear is a step up, but it’s minimal and there’s only 4 slots that you can possibly put it in right now, and one of those you’ll get by just doing your daily for about a month.

240k karma is not really that much. You should have way more than that just by leveling to 80.

“I’m not a PvE, WvW, or PvP player – I am a Guild Wars 2 player”
Tarnished Coast – Dissentient [DIS]
All classes

Posted by: Eilianna.4921

Eilianna.4921

“Here’s what we believe: If someone wants to play for a thousand hours to get an item that is so rare that other players can’t realistically acquire it, that rare item should be differentiated by its visual appearance and rarity alone, not by being more powerful than everything else in the game. Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games — we leave the grind to other MMOs.”

-Mike Obrien, President of Arenanet

@Nabrok, yes they did say exactly that. EXACTLY WORD FOR WORD.

Also, you should look up the term DR and ANET before you continue to post about things you have no idea about.

Posted by: butch.8136

butch.8136

What do people want?

In the past (first few months) we’ve seen the outrage of having no goals/no endgame. They’re adding stuff while trying to stick to their philosophy.

Would it be more fun if you buy the game and max level, max gear and a legendary by the end of week 1? Would that really be more fun?

GW2 is testing the grounds. And clearly people need progression and goals. Fun on it’s own is not enough.

Razor xxxx (Desolation ; Off)
Bring back: ‘Gamer’ title + MAT’s!
Throw out: Hotjoin!

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

I’ve encountered zero grind that I haven’t chosen to embark on. No gold acquisition, karma gain or gear gain involved grind, nor did the build I am currently very happy with for pve (not sure why you need 100g when you can craft or gain karma for most of it)

Was there a grind for Legendary? Yes, a massive one. But I chose that and I had zero issue with it, since it wasn’t necessary for me to get it. I just wanted one.

No MMO has zero grind. It’s just whether it forces you to do it, which GW doesn’t in order to be successful at playing the game. In that respect, it stuck to the manifesto as far as I personally view it

Revolution.6301

“Here’s what we believe: If someone wants to play for a thousand hours to get an item that is so rare that other players can’t realistically acquire it, that rare item should be differentiated by its visual appearance and rarity alone, not by being more powerful than everything else in the game. Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games — we leave the grind to other MMOs.”

There we go! So I didn’t just think I read somthing like this somewhere.

Posted by: Raf.1078

Raf.1078

“Punched in the gut”? Really?…..its just a game. Not being a bit overly dramatic are you?

Before online gaming got popular, how many of us blew 50-60 bucks for whatever game in a box looked interesting? And we either like it a lot, a little or outright hated it…and it was consigned to the ever growing pile of little used game boxes on a shelf.

And never gave it much thought other than…“Hmmph, didn’t like that as much as I thought I would. Oh well…”

Now, for whatever reasons..its like its the end of the known world if a game isn’t quite what you expected. I gotta say..I just don’t understand you people at all.

Also, you can craft an exotic set for 5 or 6 gold if you’ve played the game to 80 and harvested as you went along.

PF/ GOAT on Tarnished Coast (Semi-Retired)
Raf Longshanks-80 Norn Guardian / 9 more alts of various lvls / Charter Member Altaholics Anon

Posted by: Serrenitei.2601

Serrenitei.2601

“Punched in the gut”? Really?…..its just a game. Not being a bit overly dramatic are you?

Before online gaming got popular, how many of us blew 50-60 bucks for whatever game in a box looked interesting? And we either like it a lot, a little or outright hated it…and it was consigned to the ever growing pile of little used game boxes on a shelf.

And never gave it much thought other than…“Hmmph, didn’t like that as much as I thought I would. Oh well…”

Now, for whatever reasons..its like its the end of the known world if a game isn’t quite what you expected. I gotta say..I just don’t understand you people at all.

Agreed. And just because something changes doesn’t mean they are going back on what they promised. No plan has ever last beyond the first few minutes of execution. Everything changes…it doesn’t mean they lied to you, it means something changed for the good of the game overall.

Nabrok.9023

You do realize that the quote above actually backs up what I said?

Grinding is in the game for cosmetic purposes only. That’s what I said. That’s what this quote says.

All classes

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

Not me. Unlike some it seems I went into this game with my eyes open to everything said by the devs and took the manifesto seriously but with a grain of salt. Going into any endeavor blindly believing that things will not change from the original design, especially for an online video game, is by definition foolish. I, it seems, am of the minority here though as I am quite happy at the progress ANet has and will continue to make with this great game. For those that are not all I can say is there will be another shiny game along shortly so please haunt those forums instead of these ones.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

So the quote proves no forced grind. It says they put in grind for amazing skins, but not for best gear. There is no grind for best gear as you get the mats/karma/coin just by playing

Posted by: downwithdragons.8291

downwithdragons.8291

I don’t feel lied too. Game vision and design is dynamic. Things change. Its outrage based on past statements that make game designers so closed lip about their current projects. Who wants to release information if they risk being accused of lying if things don’t work out as originally intended?

I think there is a huge difference between out right deceit and the fact that things just ended up evolving in a different direction.

Posted by: jwburks.9735

jwburks.9735

Also, you can craft an exotic set for 5 or 6 gold if you’ve played the game to 80 and harvested as you went along.

Complete hogwash. It costs that much just to buy the globs of ectoplasm needed for a couple pieces of exotic jewelry.

We heard . . . we listened . . . we ignored.

Revolution.6301

tell me what set you can craft for 5 to 6 gold. Seriously and I’ll admit your right. O wait…

Raf.1078

Complete hogwash. It costs that much just to buy the globs of ectoplasm needed for a couple pieces of exotic jewelry.

Baloney, by the time I hit 80 on my necro last week (3rd lvl 80), I had 25 pieces of ecto. You know, from breaking down the rares I was crafting, running around in Orr farming and just playing the game. Bought 5 more ectos…and a few other mats and crafted a full set of rampagers armor. Jewelry later…but everything is rare.

5 gold and some change..total

Raf Longshanks-80 Norn Guardian / 9 more alts of various lvls / Charter Member Altaholics Anon

Posted by: Nappychappy.7046

Nappychappy.7046

Evolving? Game is less than 6 months old, obvious bait and switch is obvious.

@ Raf.1078

That’s a lot of work for chump change.

You are using 21 of 100 infractions ermm, PMs.

Raf.1078

Evolving? Game is less than 6 months old, obvious bait and switch is obvious.

@ Raf.1078

That’s a lot of work for chump change.

But I enjoy the journey, chump.

jwburks.9735

Baloney, by the time I hit 80 on my necro last week (3rd lvl 80), I had 25 pieces of ecto. You know, from breaking down the rares I was crafting, running around in Orr farming and just playing the game. Bought 5 more ectos…and a few other mats and crafted a full set of rampagers armor. Jewelry later…but everything is rare.

A set of exotic jewelry requires 25 globs of ectoplasm. That would cost 10 gold on the trading company, currently. Not everyone gets so lucky to see that many rares drop, and even if they do, there’s no guarantee you’ll get an ectoplasm. I’m curious to know how long it took you to grind out 25 ectos?

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

Hi I like the rest of you bought into this game but I feel like I was punched in the gut and laughed at.
This game was suppose to built on not having grind. This was one of Anet’s key manifesto points however now:

They’ve said from day one that legendary weapons would require significant investment of time and money.

[quote=1322688;Revolution.6301:2. Gold Grind – you need atleast 100 gold for the ideal build and armor you want.[/quote]

You need to learn the difference between ideal and optimal. It’s ideal to have a car to get you to work.

I’m not going to respond to the rest of your post. Frankly, I’m not even going to bother reading it. You’ve already struck me as the typical, whiney, “I want instant gratification and I want it NOW, and God help you if you make me work for anything” type of poster.

And for all *****ing and moaning your ilk is doing lately, if ANet went the other way we’d have just as much *****ing and moaning from the other side of the coin about how there’s nothing to do, there’s no reason to play, and there’s no way to show everyone just how special I am because I have this elite gear. Frankly, both camps are tiresome whiners and have turned the General Discussion forum into the * and Moan forum.

My response to both camps is this, if you don’t like it, then. don’t. play. It really is that simple.

Posted by: SonicTHI.3217

SonicTHI.3217

Of all the points listed by the OP only the ascended gear is the actual problem.

Yes exotics do take some time to get but as in the original promise of the game once you get them you are set. After nov 15th however that however is a lie.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike O’Brien, President of Arenanet

Posted by: kRiza krimos.1637

kRiza krimos.1637

What is point of this thread anyway? This whole thread seems like drama queens contest and it will be tough call for judges…

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

2. Karma gear -to get one set of karma get you need at least 240k karma. Yeah for the above avg. causal – to hardcore this is possible but for us casuals this is NOT possible in a reasonable amount of time.

Karma from Daily – 4500
Karma from a Month’s Worth of Dailies – 135000

Karma from Monthly – 45000

Total Karma from a Month’s Daily and Monthly alone, with no boosters or events – 180000

That leaves you to get 60000 Karma from events throughout the month.

If you do 5 events a day for a month (assuming 378 karma per event), that gives you 56700 karma a month.

Use a Karma booster from the Laurel vendor, and you’ll have your Karma gear within a month.

For a casual player, I’d consider that a reasonable amount of time.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

jwburks.9735

Of all the points listed by the OP only the ascended gear is the actual problem.

Yes exotics do take some time to get but as in the original promise of the game once you get them you are set. After nov 15th however that however is a lie.

Unfortunately right. It also broke the loot drops for some people, and those unaffected refuse to believe it.

Posted by: Asglarek.8976

Asglarek.8976

What do people want?

In the past (first few months) we’ve seen the outrage of having no goals/no endgame. They’re adding stuff while trying to stick to their philosophy.

Would it be more fun if you buy the game and max level, max gear and a legendary by the end of week 1? Would that really be more fun?

GW2 is testing the grounds. And clearly people need progression and goals. Fun on it’s own is not enough.

Where were all these complaint threads of people not having enough to do I’ve been here since before launchand I can honestly say ive never seen a single one but I can attest to the multi-1000 complaint posts in several anti ascended, anti grind, deceptive policy threads.

Posted by: IceBlizzard.1054

IceBlizzard.1054

Just you. There is an OPTION for grind. You can get some of the best gear without a grind.

Another person complaining because they can.

Dragonslayer
GoF Commander

Posted by: gillius.2856

gillius.2856

its only a grind if you want that stuff.. you dont have to or need it really, i like having a goal to work towards, even if getting a legendary will take me ages.

as for the ascended gear that will come as you play and do your dailies.

Enjoy the game and have fun with your friends.

Posted by: Wasabee.5031

Wasabee.5031

No grind is not true.
For a casual player plays 1-2 hours a day (real life, work, family takes all other hours,) does not buy gems to convert to gold. For legendary, how long does it take for him/her to get 77 mystic clover ALONE?

In order for you to get it in a reasonable amount of time, you will have to grind/spend a lot of hours doing the same thing over and over again to get it. That’s grind.

And do not say Legendary weapons WILL have the same stats as Exotic. Legendary will have different stats soon, as Ascended gears is a step up. So grinding to have better stat gears is actually existed in this game, not just for the look. (Ascended is an example)

And yes, it’s your choice of choosing to grind or not. But there is grinding in this game.

When I read what Mike said before I purchased this game, I had similar thought. I thought this game is a “true” sandbox game with horizontal progression, gears doesn’t matter regardless of you have white/blue/green/yellow/orange type. Nope, this game is moving toward vertical progression and gears does matter.

Shall I punch myself in the kidney? Hell NO. It is just a game. It may not live up to what it said/promised in its manifesto. However, it is well worth $60 for the time that I have spent in the game.

Posted by: shaktiboi.5194

shaktiboi.5194

It absolutely was not ever stated by anybody that there would be no grind. It has always been intended that there would be grind for cosmetics.

Ascended gear is a step up, but it’s minimal and there’s only 4 slots that you can possibly put it in right now, and one of those you’ll get by just doing your daily for about a month.

Failed logic. I agree with the OP, and yes, I feel lied to.

Here’s the flaw in your logic: any one piece of ascended gear might be only + 10 stat points. Five pieces of ascended jewelry = + 50 stat points. Now tack on ascended weapons and ascended armor. That’s potentially another ? + 100 ? stat points?

So: in sPvP or WvW, two players are facing off. One has 150 more stat points than the other. You think that doesn’t matter?

This is what we’re kittened about. Anet broke the covenant with us. There is now very much a “grind for stats”

Raf.1078

A set of exotic jewelry requires 25 globs of ectoplasm. That would cost 10 gold on the trading company, currently. Not everyone gets so lucky to see that many rares drop, and even if they do, there’s no guarantee you’ll get an ectoplasm. I’m curious to know how long it took you to grind out 25 ectos?

A set of armor requires 30 pieces. Took about 4 months though to get to 25. It ain’t a race. In any case, as you level up a tradeskill…you can break down the rares for ecto at about lvl 68 or, depending on the price of ecto (gotta check that each time)…you can sell the rare piece and buy a couple of pieces of ecto… sometimes.

Rare dagger & Greatswords sell pretty well these days as does any type of rare cloth armor for the caster classes.

That doesn’t include the pickups for farming in Frostgorge and Orr and salvaging the rares..or selling them. Whatever is more profitable.

If you are buying everything off the TP instead of harvesting, crafting and selling on the TP…then, yes..the prices you quote are more in line.

Revolution.6301

Unfortunately right. It also broke the loot drops for some people, and those unaffected refuse to believe it.

And honestly if this game was a couple of years old and ascended came I wouldn’t have complained. Heck even welcomed it. But 3 months after the game realeases ONLY 3 months and new gear already? Seriously?

Revolution.6301

Punched in the gut is an idom. Look it up.

Nabrok.9023

Here’s the flaw in your logic: any one piece of ascended gear might be only + 10 stat points. Five pieces of ascended jewelry = + 50 stat points. Now tack on ascended weapons and ascended armor. That’s potentially another ? + 100 ? stat points?

So: in sPvP or WvW, two players are facing off. One has 150 more stat points than the other. You think that doesn’t matter?

This is what we’re kittened about. Anet broke the covenant with us. There is now very much a “grind for stats”

Here’s the flaw in your logic: There are currently no ascended weapons and armor in the game and we have no idea how difficult or easy they will be to obtain. We’ve also been told that there will be additional means of obtaining the ascended items we currently have to do fractals for.

The new ascended amulet for example is very easy to get. Even if it will take a while you don’t really need to do anything different in the way you play the game and you’ll have enough laurels in about a month.

All classes

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

And using that idiom in this context is needless hyperbole.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

Raf.1078

Its spelled “idiom”. Look it up.

Posted by: Syktek.7912

Syktek.7912

None of the grind issues you’ve stated hold water.

Legendaries: You were told from the start it would take a grind and at the moment these are purely cosmetic.

Karma Armor: Unique skin, that’s all. All stats given through karma armor can be gotten through dungeon tokens or gold.

Ascended gear: Intended for Fractals, must go to fractals to get it. You want gear intended to for fractals? Go do fractals.

Vesper Dawnshield | Guardian

Posted by: jayekaiser.5174

jayekaiser.5174

2. Gold Grind – you need atleast 100 gold for the ideal build and armor you want.

You can’t be serious with this statement.

kRiza krimos.1637

Acsended gear is not usable in sPvP as there is separate pvp gear, and even when full set is available im sure it will just replace exotic pvp gear stats.

As for WvW, they said it will be totally uneven unfair enviroment to battle in so stop acting like they promised you sterile fair WvW.
If you cant handle it give it up, dont act like brat on forums. And please get your facts straight before you post rubbish.

Posted by: Ron.4920

Ron.4920

Grinding is in the game for cosmetic purposes only. That’s what I said. That’s what this quote says.

Except now grinding is not for cosmetic purposes only, because Ascended gear, and Legendary weapons now provide better stats to players. What the OP poster is saying is look at how fast the developers made a gear tread mill; which they did. The OP is also asking you to question if being on a gear tread mill is enjoyable to you. Blindly bashing the very valid points with only the argument of “that’s not how it was for me” isn’t getting anyone anywhere.

(edited by Ron.4920)

Revolution.6301

2. Gold Grind – you need atleast 100 gold for the ideal build and armor you want.

how am I wrong then?

Let me break it down:
Armor = 10-30G (again depends) (I particular want a 25g armor)
Dye = around 10G (I’d like black and silver)
Runes = 25-30G range (depends on the kind you want)
5G = traits
Then if you add on the cost of jewlers and rings (25-30G) you get 100G

Now I am serious and realistic.

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

2. Gold Grind – you need atleast 100 gold for the ideal build and armor you want. If you want any of the ‘special’ weapon look at grinding out atleast another 300-500 gold (legend range for a min of 1.5k to 2.5k) -unless your brilliant at investing or lucky your looking at around 50-60 hours of grinding to get the armor and build you want. Ironically in GW1 which was ‘suppose’ to be more of a grind this was alot simplier and easier.
1. Ascended gear (what?! isn’t this what they said WOULD NOT happen? Did they not say how they disproved of this? How the game should be about having fun?)
They already stated they tend to add more gear grinds later how (Why? The game was released for only 3 months and Anet felt they had to add in a gear grind already?) I can’t imagine what will happen in a year from now.
2. Karma gear -to get one set of karma get you need atleast 240k karma. Yeah for the above avg. causal – to hardcore this is possible but for us casuals this is NOT possible in a reasonable amount of time.

And finally did they not state how this was directed towards everyday? People who simply do not have the time to put in 100s of hours into the game? The information given above tends to differ.
What I don’t understand and what the community in general is confused about is why this game was marked towards people who don’t like grind. Simple put, why not market it towards the people that love grind? (not saying that is bad but it is a completly different market)

How can anyone take you seriously when you so completely exaggerate. It takes nowhere near 100g to get a character kitted out in full exotics.

Just run some dungeons and you can get a full set of exotic armor inside of a week playing 1-2 hours a day. Compared to what it was at launch that’s nothing. And outside of repair costs that requires 0 gold.

Posted by: Cato.3547

Cato.3547

Who feels we have seen this topic before?

(edited by Cato.3547)

Nabrok.9023

Except now grinding is not for cosmetic purposes only, because Ascended gear, and Legendary weapons now provide better stats to players.

It can’t be made anymore clearer than that.

You are mistaken. Legendary weapons have the same stats as exotics.

Ascended gear does have better stats, but I’m not concerned because it’s only 3 (4 when people start having enough laurels) slots and we’ve been told there will be additional ways to obtain them added.

All classes

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

5G = traits

The 3 training manuals cost a total of 3.1G, you really need to stop making up numbers if you want us to consider your points as realistic.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

Revolution.6301

How can anyone take you seriously when you so completely exaggerate. It takes nowhere near 100g to get a character kitted out in full exotics.

Just run some dungeons and you can get a full set of exotic armor inside of a week playing 1-2 hours a day. Compared to what it was at launch that’s nothing. And outside of repair costs that requires 0 gold.

I’m talking about exotics that look the way you want them to. So add in Dye(s) and runes and my cost also includes jewlews and rings and backpacks etc.

Posted by: kenshinakh.3672

kenshinakh.3672

how am I wrong then?

Let me break it down:
Armor = 10-30G (again depends) (I particular want a 25g armor)
Dye = around 10G (I’d like black and silver)
Runes = 25-30G range (depends on the kind you want)
5G = traits
Then if you add on the cost of jewlers and rings (25-30G) you get 100G

Armor = 0G
Dye = 0G
Runes = 0G
Traits = 5G but I got at least 10G from just leveling up and going through the game.

I’m serious. You can play the game without grinding for gold and gear. You won’t be “maxed” out, but you won’t be worthless either.
They added “grind” elements for people who wanted it. And they’re hardly grind elements if you don’t want them to be. Just gotta approach things differently.

Posted by: maintank.9074

maintank.9074

Would you kids please stfu about grinding….so what if you have to grind……be glad this isn’t eq where all you do is grind for your gear, and there is nothing wrong with grinding.

kRiza krimos.1637

Except now grinding is not for cosmetic purposes only, because Ascended gear, and Legendary weapons now provide better stats to players.

It can’t be made anymore clearer than that.

Show me in what gw2 build you are playing where legendarys provide better stats? It will be in future? Why are you stating it like its already happend?
I heard Chinese will rule world in future, does that mean i should rally up people and start war on China now?
You do realise even when acsended weapons come to existance you wont have to grind for legendary to have best stats? So explain to me what are you trying to pull off stating that you will have to grind for legendary for stats?

Posted by: TurtleofPower.5641

TurtleofPower.5641

I don’t. I don’t treat “extras” like that as part of the main game. They’re to GIVE SOMETHING TO DO for people that play again and again. Just like dailies. Just like PVP. There is no truth whatsoever to say you need a legendary to keep playing the game in any area of the game.

Posted by: Grim West.3194

Grim West.3194

Yes, we were lied to. Grinding dailies and grinding FOTM is the current endgame in GW2… which is an exact copy of WoW. If I wanted to grind dailies and instanced dungeons then I would be playing WoW.

We were promised something different than WoW, but what we got was a just another WoW clone.

At this point GW1 is a much better game than GW2. If ANET ever delivers on their promises for GW2 then I’ll come back, but I have better things to do than grind in another cheap WoW clone.

Nabrok.9023

Yes, we were lied to. Grinding dailies and grinding FOTM is the current endgame in GW2… which is an exact copy of WoW. If I wanted to grind dailies and instanced dungeons then I would be playing WoW.

It might be your endgame, but it’s certainly not mine.

All classes