Why I believe gw2 fails miserably...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: vesica tempestas.1563

vesica tempestas.1563

+1

as for OP, he wants GW2 to be like GW1 (a coorpg) he wants to kill things in ‘2 seconds’ but you could not do that in GW1. In short he doesn’t know what he wants.

“Trying to please everyone would not only be challenging
but would also result in a product that might not satisfy anyone”- Roman Pichler, Strategize

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

+1

as for OP, he wants GW2 to be like GW1 (a coorpg) he wants to kill things in ‘2 seconds’ but you could not do that in GW1. In short he doesn’t know what he wants.

You can do that in Guild Wars 1. I’ve taken my level 20 to outside kamadan (and other starting areas) and one shot things. It’s boring though and I can’t imagine why anyone would prefer it for playing.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Zsymon.8457

Zsymon.8457

The level scaling in GW2, is the best I have ever experienced, it is simply genius.

I would prefer an MMORPG with no levels at all, but I’ll make do with GW2 until then. By far the best MMO that has ever been created.

Posted by: vesica tempestas.1563

vesica tempestas.1563

+1

You can do that in Guild Wars 1. I’ve taken my level 20 to outside kamadan (and other starting areas) and one shot things. It’s boring though and I can’t imagine why anyone would prefer it for playing.

true you could do that in a starting area i guess, but ye you would get as much fun playing whackamole

“Trying to please everyone would not only be challenging
but would also result in a product that might not satisfy anyone”- Roman Pichler, Strategize

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

If a lvl 15 icebrood elemental is enough to kill you it’s not the game that failed miserably…

Your playstyle must be very close to AFKing. Sorry, but learn to play.

I can probalby AFK kill that with my elementalist. :P

I have done that while in Brisban Wildlands.

Posted by: munki.6402

munki.6402

No sign of the op since posting. This has got to be a troll.

4/1/15 forum meltdown survivor

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

The level scaling in GW2, is the best I have ever experienced, it is simply genius.

I would prefer an MMORPG with no levels at all, but I’ll make do with GW2 until then. By far the best MMO that has ever been created.

If I recall correctly early Alpha GW2 didn’t use levels and the test players were confused and lost. So they got levels, and then hearts to help guide them to the content.

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

Let me get this straight, it’s “child’s play” to NOT scale the game in such a manner that at a certain point of gear advantage nearly all content is easy enough that a small child could do it with little to no effort or knowledge of the gameplay?

You have a funny way of looking at things, and by funny I mean nonsensical and factually incorrect.

Posted by: Cedric Ambidexter.9174

Cedric Ambidexter.9174

It fails miserably? I do not think so.

The level scaling is the best thing about GW2. The low level areas stay relevant no matter what your level so you can help out guild mates or new players without stealing all the kills. Of course a real level 80 has the advantage of high level armour and weapons that a true low level does not have so there is still some imbalance, but on the whole, it is a great system.

No one-shot killers in this game, OP.

You are clearly not a true MMORPG fan then.

Posted by: Baamoink.4281

Baamoink.4281

What exactly is a ‘true MMORPG fan’?

I enjoy the scaling, because then I can jump in with a friend who’s at a lower level, and not one shot everything before they get a chance to tag anything. No fun for them.

Guild: Mantle Assasins [MA] – Guild Leader
Server: Far Shiverpeaks EU

Posted by: Andraus.3874

Andraus.3874

I’m starting to wonder if OP bought his account. In this thread he claims he has a level 80 with ascended. He doesn’t understand how leveling scaling works and somehow a level 15 mob kills him and blames it on level scaling. Even tho he has full ascended.

Then he makes a thread about how, as a new player, he needs help understanding the game like guild UI. This just doesn’t add up.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/In-game-guidance-for-new-players/first#post6115984

Cedric Ambidexter.9174

In your first two sentences, you complain that a level 15 mob nearly killed you. Then you say that the scaling system makes the game look like “child’s play”. What?

Anyway, the scaling system is there for a (good) reason, and I’m glad it’s there. It keeps us 80s from completely plowing through mobs before the at-level players can get in a hit in. Even with the scaling, you still can have a hard time getting credit because things die so quickly to all the 80s around, but it’s way better than most other MMOs.

When I say “child’s play” I’m referring to the over-balancing aspect. The whole point of an MMORPG is to level up and be the best, quickly – a result of which makes you far superior to fresh players and lower ranking enemy npc’s. This is the build of any competitive game: take this aspect away and you are no longer left with a game, but a toy.

I, personally don’t enjoy balancing to the point of not feeling like I’m stronger, more advanced and more capable than newbies, or low level monsters. I want to feel I have achieved something.

That’s what was so great about gw1 – but that’s just in hindsight, because we took such a core feature for granted. Now that they’ve manipulated it, it mocks the fantasy MMORPG genre and I bet hundreds, if not many potential players have gone in other directions (towards the more traditional build).

Cedric Ambidexter.9174

I’m a huge fan of the scaling system, because it lets me go wherever I want at max level without feeling like a waste of time. Back when I played Everquest, I had a favorite zone that I eventually leveled out of, so that the enemies died right away and I no longer received any rewards for playing there. I moved on to a level-appropriate zone, but it was never as much fun after that.

I might not be able to just faceroll enemies everywhere, but I definitely feel a lot stronger than I did originally. Even with scaling, I have better gear, I have a better build, and I’m simply a better player than I was when I started. That’s enough advantage while still being enjoyable.

Everquest was a true fantasy game.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

I, personally don’t enjoy balancing to the point of not feeling like I’m stronger, more advanced and more capable than newbies, or low level monsters. I want to feel I have achieved something.

As others already said, it sounds like you have a simple Learn To Play issue, then. I definitely feel and look more advanced and more capable than new players in the new zones. I feel that way when I’m fighting pretty much anything in typical pve, too. If you’re not feeling that, then you either should consider changing something about how you’re playing this game or maybe find a different game to play.

Cedric Ambidexter.9174

I have the best armour and stats at the moment, and i’m happy with everything.

I’m not psychic, and not everyone who plays Guild Wars 2 is a ‘pro’. Some of us noobs need a bit more user-friendly experience.

I’m confused, one minute you’re new. The next minute you’ve got maxed armour.

In any case, I think the downscaling is one of the best things this game brings to the table, allowing for higher level people to re-visit earlier content, without having it too easy, and without it affecting lower levelled players since we share the same areas.

Sorry, I don’t have the best as in ascended gear yet. But I have the best stats level beneath that which money can buy.

Posted by: Infusion.7149

Infusion.7149

It’s called replay value.

Without scaling people would just mindlessly farm everything

Desolation (EU) → Yak’s Bend (US)
In your backline: Elementalist+Mesmer+Necromancer

Posted by: DBZVelena.5186

DBZVelena.5186

Don’t feed the trolls.

Proud Medic of the Splinter Warband. PM me to know more.

Just a flesh wound.3589

In your first two sentences, you complain that a level 15 mob nearly killed you. Then you say that the scaling system makes the game look like “child’s play”. What?

Anyway, the scaling system is there for a (good) reason, and I’m glad it’s there. It keeps us 80s from completely plowing through mobs before the at-level players can get in a hit in. Even with the scaling, you still can have a hard time getting credit because things die so quickly to all the 80s around, but it’s way better than most other MMOs.

When I say “child’s play” I’m referring to the over-balancing aspect. The whole point of an MMORPG is to level up and be the best, quickly – a result of which makes you far superior to fresh players and lower ranking enemy npc’s. This is the build of any competitive game: take this aspect away and you are no longer left with a game, but a toy.

That’s what was so great about gw1 – but that’s just in hindsight, because we took such a core feature for granted. Now that they’ve manipulated it, it mocks the fantasy MMORPG genre and I bet hundreds, if not many potential players have gone in other directions (towards the more traditional build).

If you’re getting almost one shot by level 15 mobs then it sounds like you need a game where gear carries you, not having sufficient skill to dodge, block or reflect. May I suggest you try out a different game because this one isn’t going to change and if you’re not happy with it then a gear based game may be what you’re looking for.

ANet may give it to you.

Cedric Ambidexter.9174

The last time one of my max levels got killed by a low level mob…….I’m not sure actually when that was. Probably from doing something like yolo-running into a group of vets and friends. Other than that, you really shouldn’t be dying that often in the low level areas. I suggest you check your traits and your build.

I’m not in any danger of dying “often”, or “quickly”, in low-level areas…well, I think.

I can easily kill those npcs, but it’s the fact that I saw my health bar draining to somewhere mid-way which shocked me. It just shouldn’t be allowed.

I’m level 80, the monster is level 15!

Cedric Ambidexter.9174

I
Even if my health suddenly drops from 20k to 1.5k, I would expect a low level enemy to struggle against a level 80.

except you arent a lvl 80 anymore at that point.

If you have a hard time then try playing a lvl 80 in blue or green gear,heck try it on white gear. After that go to a lvl 80 zone with the same lvl 80 white-green gear and see if it feels similar.

The core tyria zones and mobs are as easy as they get considering most of them dont even have any kind of special attacks and just attack you normaly once every 3 seconds. And those who do apply a single bleed stack that deals no dmg for 1 second.

You also forgot to mention you most likely play in a full glass cannon (no additional armor or vitality) build… i dont understand people who have 0 armor and 0 vitality on them complain about getting 2 shoted…..

To sum it up; Level/stat scaling is great for this game. Get some toughness and vitality and learn to dodge what little hard hitting attacks those slow dumb ai(compared to hot mobs) mobs have. Also change your build to have a few defensive abilities with cc, protection, regeneration, stealth ect. And perhaps also stop pulling 15mobs on you at one time.

I’m using a mix of valkyrie/cavalier (personal preference). So, I don’t have 0 stats in those areas.

RoseofGilead.8907

I can easily kill those npcs, but it’s the fact that I saw my health bar draining to somewhere mid-way which shocked me. It just shouldn’t be allowed.

You’ve played this game long enough to get at least one character to 80, and so I assume you must know how to dodge. Or how to use your class to absorb/evade/mitigate the damage from the hit. If you’re an 80 in exotics, you won’t have any trouble against a level 15 mob (assuming you’re in a zone that downlevels you to within a level of 15) as long as you actively participate in the combat.

As for “it shouldn’t be allowed”, it’s Anet’s game. It should be allowed in their game because they want it to be allowed. And that choice of Anet’s appeals to many of us.

(edited by RoseofGilead.8907)

Just a flesh wound.3589

The last time one of my max levels got killed by a low level mob…….I’m not sure actually when that was. Probably from doing something like yolo-running into a group of vets and friends. Other than that, you really shouldn’t be dying that often in the low level areas. I suggest you check your traits and your build.

I’m not in any danger of dying “often”, or “quickly”, in low-level areas…well, I think.

One thing you should be aware of of is that different games have different rules. There isn’t a one size fits all set of rules and there’s no MMORPG rule that says that max levels must be gods. It was a staple with most of the older games, but that doesn’t mean that all games have it. And this one doesn’t.

This game isn’t going to change to what you want so you have a choice. You can either accept it and maybe see the benefits of it or move on to your next game that does have this feature and that suits you better.

ANet may give it to you.

Cedric Ambidexter.9174

Were you afk? You’re leveled down, but you’re still waaay stronger than anyone who’s actually at that level… When I’m in low level zones, I don’t even pay attention because everything dies with almost no effort. I guess if you’re doing a world boss, you could get killed, but that’s hardly the same as dying to some random mob.

I’m sorry to say, but the only reasons I can think of is that you’re trying to make an issue out of nothing, or that you’re really, REALLY bad.

Try standing still and doing nothing in front of those mobs.

:)

Cedric Ambidexter.9174

What’s especially hysterical is this guy is talking about core Tyria maps. Er, ya. Level 80 maps are a joke in core Tyria and this guy can’t handle Wayfarer Foothills.

I hate it when people cry troll to anyone with a dissenting opinion, but I think that’s what this is.

How am I cry trolling?

I have my own beliefs about what type of progression system an MMORPG (and especially gw – since I’m a fan of the first instalment) should follow.

Cedric Ambidexter.9174

If someone can create a level 80 build that loses to a level 15 enemy while doing absolutely positively nothing but autoattacking, I would be impressed.

Stand in front of level 15 wolf, autoattack, go watch Game of Thrones. If you lose the fight, you win the challenge.

Who said anything about attacking?

Posted by: Ansau.7326

Ansau.7326

This is a feature of Gw2, not a flaw. The purpose of this feature is, precisely, to make low level maps interesting for uplevel people, and to eliminate the easiness and dullness of playing those maps at such high levels.

Don’t make the mistake to say it fails miserably because you aren’t able to play unless low level mobs hit you 1 while you one shot them.

You don’t like it? It’s okay, and out there there are 1562374382364854 games they will allow to do what you like. But that doesn’t mean the feature is bad. What only shows your opinion isn’t based on solid arguments.

So you either reconsider the feature and start playing with it, or move on and play another game. All this drama you’re putting is pointless and wastes your precious time of your live. Be smart.

Ansau – Sylvari Mesmer – Exiled Warriors [wE] – Gandara

i7 5775c @ 4.1GHz – 12GB RAM @ 2400MHz – RX 480 @ 1390/2140MHz

Cedric Ambidexter.9174

I have the best armour and stats at the moment, and i’m happy with everything. But I just sat back in horror as I watched a level 15 icebrood elemental in a low-level region remove half my health in a few seconds.

If they ever decide to make a gw3 I hope they get rid of that stupid scaling system, because it really makes the game look like child’s play.

Even if my health suddenly drops from 20k to 1.5k, I would expect a low level enemy to struggle against a level 80. My suspicion is that levels are actually meaningless in this game.

I’ve posted on this topic before, and I’m posting again because this is something that is still bugging me.

Get good….. ….. just kidding

ok, seriously.

I main an Elementalist….. and going into low-level region, I usually get one-shotted by some mobs. Not every mob, but most will take 90% of my health in 1 or 2 hits. Some will down me in 1 shot. How I try to overcome this? I use a staff, so i use burning retreat as much as possible. I rarely change attunement, unless it is necessary. So, I customized my build to do burning damage as fast as possible. And I burst them down at range with lava font, fireball and meteor shower and flame burst for burning damage.
So, there you go. I hardly had problems at low level region……….
This is just my experiences……… and I don’t find it hard at all……

That’s interesting: so, you don’t find it hard to initiate all those protracted combos? That’s probably because you’re so used to doing it, and also when you first decided to roam in those lower-end regions, you had no choice but to perform those mental acts.

Well done GW for forcing us into this position!

(I won’t comment on the Elementalist)

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

What’s especially hysterical is this guy is talking about core Tyria maps. Er, ya. Level 80 maps are a joke in core Tyria and this guy can’t handle Wayfarer Foothills.

I hate it when people cry troll to anyone with a dissenting opinion, but I think that’s what this is.

How am I cry trolling?

I have my own beliefs about what type of progression system an MMORPG (and especially gw – since I’m a fan of the first instalment) should follow.

And, frankly, your beliefs are not in line with either the developers nor vast majority of the player base’s… and frankly, looking at how other RPGs are going, especially tabletop, it’s starting to look like the whole genre is moving away from “Nothing but bigger numbers” to a more horizontal progression system.

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

Maybe the issue was lag or rendering so you were hit with the attack before it registered on your monitor?

RoseofGilead.8907

That’s interesting: so, you don’t find it hard to initiate all those protracted combos? That’s probably because you’re so used to doing it, and also when you first decided to roam in those lower-end regions, you had no choice but to perform those mental acts.

Well done GW for forcing us into this position!

(I won’t comment on the Elementalist)

Yes. Believe it or not, they had to learn they game they were playing instead of falling back on habits from other games.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Try standing still and doing nothing in front of those mobs.

Who said anything about attacking?

Well, that explains a lot. You just want to be A GOD, all invulnerable and what not. Not you playing the game.

It’s not going to happen. This isn’t Guild Wars 2 failing miserably. This is you failing to accept and play the game according to its rules.

ANet may give it to you.

Cedric Ambidexter.9174

Damage is multiplied based on the difference in level. Normally when downscaled, you’ll be above your target’s level which will make them far easier to kill and allow for everyone’s favorite 1111 spam. The higher the level they are compared to you however, the lower your damage becomes while the more theirs increases.

You can easily get facerolled by enemies if the event is upscaled, which in this case would have been a level 12 vs 15. On one of the lower defense professions, I can see an elemental dealing half your health in damage, because that’s what they do when I’m leveling in higher areas. Likewise, there are a few areas in the game where the boundaries aren’t set properly, so there’s gaps where the area’s maximum level is several levels lower than the nearby enemies. There’s also some places where the opposite is true, allowing you to 1 shot enemies as if they were critters.

Thanks.

Cedric Ambidexter.9174

I have the best armour and stats at the moment, and i’m happy with everything. But I just sat back in horror as I watched a level 15 icebrood elemental in a low-level region remove half my health in a few seconds.

If they ever decide to make a gw3 I hope they get rid of that stupid scaling system, because it really makes the game look like child’s play.

Even if my health suddenly drops from 20k to 1.5k, I would expect a low level enemy to struggle against a level 80. My suspicion is that levels are actually meaningless in this game.

I’ve posted on this topic before, and I’m posting again because this is something that is still bugging me.

Did you ever think for a second that what is affecting you does not equal guild wars failing miseraby? No I would assume not.

Secondly, this scaling system makes the game look like child’s play? That phrase means the scaling system makes the game so easy even a child could do it, but you claim that you “sat back in horror” <———- (what?) and a low level mob owned you in a few seconds?

To reiterate what you said, the scaling system is child’s play, and you got beaten by something even a child could do?

Do us all a favor, don’t waste the time of people on the forums with trolling and ranting about things you intentionally remain ignorant about. Levels make you stronger, levels increase the talents you receive, and 60+ exotic level gear which low levels cannot wear. Higher level mobs have more aggressive and powerful abilities, some hard to dodge, and have higher health scaling compared to lower levels. If you are dying I suggest you don’t intentionally stand in an AoE that takes 3 seconds to kill you, or should I say only halve your health, only to come on the forum and complain how “child’s play” is killing you because of NOT dodging and then blame this on the scaling system with this obvious red herring to spark forum negativity.

Fact: People don’t listen to you if you make a poor argument with intentional faults in your data to prove a point.

Please continue to impress yourself

Cedric Ambidexter.9174

The game fails at many things, but the Scaling System is absolutely not one point of it…

If you seriously look for things at which this game fails miserably, than it are rather things like:

• Consistency and Integrity – never seen before a Game with so many selfmade designed cheeseholes in regard of missing content or missing mechanics or missing parts of the game that should belong into the game back so that the game has a consistent storytelling (again)
    Examples for such things that Anet still has to fix to get rid of this fail mark:
    - Adding finaly Jeweler and Chef 500
    - Adding finally missing announced content like Bar Brawls, Polymok and all the other like 30+ planned activities that were planned as reasons for why a player should go to the varrious towns of this game and visit them
    - Reimplementation of Living World Season 1 for having again a consistent Storytelling in this game under the same imroved design of Season 2 onwards
    - Adding the missing content of Legendary Accessoires to make that system complete
    - Reviving the Dungeons (what Anet did with the last patch was just only a cheap band aid fix, but in my eyes no real solution to competely revive dungeons and a contradicting change to the removal of gold rewards earlier, now giving us gold rewards back, every 8 runs, instead of giving Dungeons unique rewards that would b a real reason for why one would want to play dungeons, like new sets of ascended weapons and armor sets from dungeon tokens that maybe also provide some unique new yet missing stat combos , or the said missing legendary accessoires. Enough options there to givre dungeons some unique rewards, instead of them letting pump plainly again only more gold into the economy
  • They fail miserably in Class Balance, because currently sicne game release they cherrypick only in the weapon skilsl and traits, and very rarely in the runes and sigils things out, that they change, but forget since then, that the combat system is much much more factors, that have a huge influence on the whole game balance, which Anet always completely ignores to balance also accordingly to the current much higher DPS that eveyone has, compared to what for DPS everyone has had 2012, which was ALOT lesser. ANet needs to take into consideration finally following things also too into the game balance topic:
    - Rework of the complete Base Health System for all classes changign finally over to a Health balance on INDIVIDUAL BASIS, instead of balancing the Base Health on 3 archetypes. Balancing each class individually is alot more flexible and would allow anet to balance and finetune the classes alot better, without that any other class has automatically these changes too, even if that other class doesnt need it, or shouldnt get it to not unbalance that other class through a chain effect, that such stupid archetype systems bring with themself automatically.
    - Rework most of not all the Runes and Sigils. Way too much of them are useless or plain boring and rework the System, so that Runes and Sigils work everywhere the same by adding for WvW/PvE Ascended Runes/Sigils as strogn but single gold sinks, that allow players to get the same Rune/Sigil ccomfort like in PvP where you can change them out costfree at any time out of combat. Combine this finalyl with a Build Template System = Perfect
    - The attribute system of this game is a failure, where defensive attributs are mostly all the tiem completely useless because of beign simply way too weak, having no synergy unlike the offensive attribute and not providing useful defensive attributes, which could enrich the combat system of this game greatly, that are kind of a standard usually.
    GW2 needs Dual Effect attributes, that would make the attribute System of this game more flexible and it would solve the issue with defnesive attributes beign too weak and useless most of the time, because then could Anet add to the defensive attributes helpful new effects, that would make the combat system greatly more balanced and fun, like a defensive attribute effect, that reduces incoming critical hit chance, or a defensive attribute effect, that increases your endurance regeneration.

When theres an attribute, that increases maximum critical hit chance, then there needs to be also an attriobute of defensive nature, that reduces critical hits for you!!
Same as the needs to be an attribute effect that reduces condition durations for you, not only one, that increases them…
This are such things where I believe, where Anet sometims doesn’t think through such mechanics very well enough. Other effects liek Healing Power needs to get merged with Vitality, so that theres finally also some kind of defensive synergy effect as well so that Vitality becomes a bit more meaningful in this game, other than only raising the max health, and this way in my opinion way too low to be of any significancy for the powercreep DPS that GW2 has since a long time
- The Boon and Condition System fails in my opinion – way too much of both of them, Anet needs to reduce the amount of boons and conditions and should merge what fits best together to bring the amount of boons and conditions on both sides down from like 13 down to 7, literally nearly halving the amounts, that would be a great step towards improving the game performance and making also this game again alot easier to balance if you have to overview only 7 boons and 7 conditions and not 13 of both of them …to keep them all in line and balanced all the time.

• Character Progression

So they fail in my opinion to connect the new systems and mechanics more with each other to make this game great and to give this wax th playr a much greater feelign of Character Progression on a long term.
The handful of masteries they added with HoT is way too less and adding new masteries first through raids only is in my view a huge mistake and fail. They should increase quickly the amount of masteries for the whole game, to make usage of the potential that lies in that new added mechanic and it would fit to thsi game best, if Anet would link strongly the whole character progression more into that system, also for WvW especially to allow there to have also much morte individual character progression that is class specific.
Elite Specs were a great step forward, but unlinked to the mastery system they feel very bland and loreless. The mastery system would have been a grreat chance to be combined with the elite specs to add some flavorful lore to the Elite Specs and new taskas to do, that give the player the feelign of progression, rather than simple borign for skill points by adding something like Mentor NPCs, that individually class specificly teach us how to become a certain Elite Specialization.
That would be the much more flavorful and meaningful way of how it should work to combine the mastery system into the Character Progression System more.

• RNG

As long this is the alltime hanging over our heads damocles sword that decides over it, if we might get rewarded or not for our efforts, this game fails in mail eyes and is nothign else but a game similar to the sick asian grinders with drop chances for loot like 0,000001% where even having like 300+% Magic Find in this game is absolutely no differenc,e bcause 300%+ of 0 is still 0% chance to get something in this game and this is just not right..

we play to have fun, not to participaty into a gambling game thats worser like a casino or winnign Lotto chances…
Anet needs finalyl to remove plain stupid RRNG mechanics out of this game where they shouldn’t belong into this game and replace the reward systems there with EFFORT BASED reward systems, that allow players through their own effort to steadily work on somethign what they want.

Example: Tequatls Sunbringer Weapon Skin Rewards… add finally BOSS KILL TOKENS with that we csn trade in through our effort the skins that we want, so that it isnt anymore plain stupid 100% luck just only anymore if you may ever get a skin from these, still havign no skin after like hundreds of kills feels just not right and is in NO WAY FUN.
Can’t believe, that the devs of Anet seem to be so massively blind over this fact, that they don’t realize this kind of RNG is BAD FOR THE GAME.

People need constant progress, if they see that they make after endless tries absolutely no progress, then thats not fun, but just only pure FRUSTRATION and a reason for why people might quit the game.
Thus are things, that Anet needs to eliminate finally.
Stupid thought out reward systems that are frustrating need to get eliminated and replaced through effort based reward systems which can give the player more fun simply through giving them the feeling, that they have constant progress through their own efforts, even if they aren’t belonging to the super lucky players that get what they want dropped as loot all the time …

This are for me personally currently the strongest core points, in which this game fails at, but surely not the Scaling System.
However, personally I wouldn’t have a problem with it, if ANet would use the Scaling System more to reduce the Maximum Level Cap from 80 down to 50 while keeping the attributes of like beign 80 characters, so that every level increase in this game would be 30times more meaningful than before, due to our characters becoming over 50 levels then 30x more stronger than before, so that our progress would feel greater while we climb the levels from 1-50 and GW2 would reach quicker the ENDGAME STATE already at the maps where we meet our first time a real world bosses with the Shatterer. Yes it would mean alot work to rebalance alot of things, but I think this change would greatly of benefit for this game to make GW2 great again and to reduce the gap, that is between new players and veterans sooner, while also reducing pointless leveling grind a bit, because with the mastery system theres now a much better progression system thats superior over the old leveling system and makes the earlir 80 levels look obsolete, just to be able to start with the progression of masteries.
i think peopel should begin progressing on masteries sooner, and that would be only possible also too by reducing the max level cap from 80 down to any other number. 50 would be I think the best decision and is also a nicer number in general, than 80

I think your plans are a tad unrealistic? Consider the fallback effort to incorporate all of these elements..!

Cedric Ambidexter.9174

Here the question.

I am puzzled, why is it child’s play when you are annoyed about not able to one-hit kill a supposedly lower level monster. Isn’t it because you feel the need to be godlike? If that is the case, you should try korean mmorpg. Of course, please do not complain about grinding and pvpish environment because power come with a price. Otherwise, you still have single player game, you can use cheat code.

I love complaining

Cedric Ambidexter.9174

not to forget: sometimes it really is about learn to play. I don’t say, this circumvents all and every kink in the game, but it allows to alleviate weakness and to help the toon stay alive during tough fights. simple as that. One has to stay on the toes even with a leveled-out toon, so a bit of a challenge remains even with lvl 80 & super gear oomph.

whats bad about that? In my opinion: nothing.

In this case there is no point in having a level-system. Let’s make it something else, say “gear” and “weapons” abilities?

Cedric Ambidexter.9174

You do not like jp’s, you don’t like the scaling… I can understand your gripe with this game, my brother has a hard time with this game because of the active combat system and jumping puzzles, he rather play the usuall MMO’s where you just stand still and cast all million of skills you have and where jumping are mostly only for show. Do you know what my brother does? Well he rarely play GW2 but plays alot of other MMO’s.

What I mean is, don’t try to change this wonderfull game to another of these usuall MMO’s out there. What makes this game so wonderfull in my opinion is that it has scaling and jumping puzzles just to name a few things.

Those other MMO’s are true mmo’s in my opinion. GW has done a lot to whitewash the whole feel of the genre with the new design.

Cedric Ambidexter.9174

Isnt a child’play a game where you can one shot the “bad people” ?
The scaling system is one of the best thing this game created.
GW2 is a game where you can still play at your favorite region without losing your time.

Go play WoW if this is bothering you.

Even WoW will use a system like this for the regions of its next xpac. And if this system is extended to the old vanilla regions, it would be a good reason for me to return on this game. I really love Barrens, Mulgore and Durotar but I can no longer play on those regions with my main character for years ….
Really the OP opinion isnt understandable, seems he was never frustrated to see his favorite region becoming useless.

I play gw to escape from the normal environment. Ultimately, what I’m saying is once I finish playing the game, I’m not attached to a piece of scenery or furniture, and I can see it’s only a game. A game is there for enjoyment or entertainment only.

…and games like wow and others will not degrade their basic builds.

Cedric Ambidexter.9174

As a great Namekian once said.

Why. Didn’t. You. DOOOOOOODGE?!

I shouldn’t have to.

Cedric Ambidexter.9174

The game was meant to be relevant at all levels, at all areas. Being higher level, and better geared, was not suppose to make low level areas easy. This was the case for several years untill it was, rightly, fixed.

As for a mob taking half your health off at low levels. Ultimately these levels are still designed with new players in mind, so i cannot imagine it didnt have a very telegraphed animation that you somehow still got hit by.

Thank kitten for scaling or high level players would waltz all over events that are marked as <lv80, denying lower level players any chance of participating in them.

This is a valid question: what gives you the right to decide to change an MMO so drastically as to make higher levels meaningless in lower level regions?

My answer:

NOTHING

Cedric Ambidexter.9174

Scaling keeps low level maps relevant. Having gone back to Lotro recently only to find 90% of the game irrelevant, it just feels wasted.

It’s a huge and outstanding feature of the game and I’m extremely happy we have it.

I think the opposite: I find it does more harm than good to my gaming experience.

Cedric Ambidexter.9174

No sign of the op since posting. This has got to be a troll.

Hi, no i’m not a troll

Posted by: Fermi.2409

Fermi.2409

This is a valid question: what gives you the right to decide to change an MMO so drastically as to make higher levels meaningless in lower level regions?

My answer:

NOTHING

Lmao

Anyways looking at this guy’s post history inclines me to think he’s a troll

HAF 912 | i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz | MSI GTX 1070 GAMING 8GB | Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
EGVA SuperNOVA B2 750W | 16 GB DDR3 1600 | Acer XG270HU | Win 10×64
MX Brown Quickfire XT | Commander Shaussman [AGNY]- Fort Aspenwood

Cedric Ambidexter.9174

Let me get this straight, it’s “child’s play” to NOT scale the game in such a manner that at a certain point of gear advantage nearly all content is easy enough that a small child could do it with little to no effort or knowledge of the gameplay?

You have a funny way of looking at things, and by funny I mean nonsensical and factually incorrect.

It’s child’s play to tell me I am a level 80, and then fake-scale me to a level 15 when I enter a level 15 zone, so I “won’t do too much damage”.

Just a flesh wound.3589

I thought I remembered the OP and his complaints from previous threads so I checked his posts. From 3 months ago:

Downscaling is the most stupid idea on this planet. How much more balancing does this game need?!

I should be able to kill that monster in 2 seconds.

Seriously, when I’m done with this game I’m giving it to my cousins.

Thanks for your reply.

You’ve known about this feature for months. You made at least one thread about it before this. It’s not going to change. I suggest you either accept it or move on to another game, not asking for a feature of the game that other people like to be changed to suit you.

ANet may give it to you.

RoseofGilead.8907

My answer:

NOTHING

No one had to give them the right. No game developer is 100% beholden to the conventions of the genre their game fits into. Anet wanted to try something new, and so they did. They also had every right to do so. You’re allowed to not like it, but Anet didn’t commit some cardinal sin by trying something new.

Also, higher level player abilities not meaningless if you actually actively play. If you prefer to stand there with your thumb up your backside, then yeah, you’re going to be kicked in the face by the low level mobs.

Cedric Ambidexter.9174

What exactly is a ‘true MMORPG fan’?

I enjoy the scaling, because then I can jump in with a friend who’s at a lower level, and not one shot everything before they get a chance to tag anything. No fun for them.

In a true MMO your friend will start to have fun when he reaches your level, or close.

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

ADDENDUM: some of these mobs are actually killing me quicker than level 80 mobs.

So wait a minute; the down scaling of your character in low level zones is childs play, but some mobs are killing you faster than a level 80 zone would? I think that says more about the player than the game. I have no issues, even WITH downscaling. Frankly, I don’t think we are downscaled enough if the intention is to make our level of play competitive with a character of the intended level for the zone.

Levels are simply a measure of progression and the fact that Anet finally separated progression from power says quite a bit about how Anet is testing new waters with this game. As you have experienced, the down scaling is there for a reason; to retain the relevance of those zones for ALL players, regardless of level. You might like only having a few zones relevant to you at level 80 because that’s the MMO’s we were all brought up on; I always felt it was stupid. Lots of MMO’s have much to learn from GW2 in some areas and this is one of them.

I’m not going to argue your feelings are right or wrong. I’m just going to tell you that this is how the game is designed, complaining about it is pointless and if it bothers you THAT much, don’t go in those zones or go back to the antiquated MMO’s you’re used to.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Cedric Ambidexter.9174

It’s called replay value.

Without scaling people would just mindlessly farm everything

I think they should have made a large portion of the world belong to the Sylvari – they are all about the great oneness of mother nature after all. The scaling system could have been used in those areas only, leaving the rest of the players to reap real rewards on earth.

Cedric Ambidexter.9174

You’ve played this game long enough to get at least one character to 80, and so I assume you must know how to dodge. Or how to use your class to absorb/evade/mitigate the damage from the hit. If you’re an 80 in exotics, you won’t have any trouble against a level 15 mob (assuming you’re in a zone that downlevels you to within a level of 15) as long as you actively participate in the combat.

As for “it shouldn’t be allowed”, it’s Anet’s game. It should be allowed in their game because they want it to be allowed. And that choice of Anet’s appeals to many of us.

No GW2 customer should be expected to absorb/evade/mitigate the damage from an enemy npc if they are nearly 4 times above their level.