Why we hear nothing but Silence from ANet?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

You really screwed the pooch on this one guys. You’re going to have to really work to win back the good will you’ve lost with this fiasco.

Or you’ll have to downgrade your expectations for developer involvement on the forums.

It is nice to see that the predictions made by myself and others that a simple “we are reading this” confirmation would be considered insufficient turned out to be true, though.

Didn’t see that one coming! Here’s a tough one, see if you can predict how many cans of beer are in a six-pack.

8? But they are just lazy and lie about being in the six pack, but I demand that they become part of the 6 pack! If not I will buy this 12 pack over here for twice the money and teach those lazy 6 packs for not being 8 packs! Just watch me!

Posted by: Dagoth.7038

Dagoth.7038

Hi All,

I just wanted to take the time to make it clear that we are indeed reading all the feedback, not just about Megasverver but in many areas of this forum, others and in game.

As Colin has mentioned in the past Megaserver technology is a multi phase release and we are monitoring\discussing it every day.

We are very focused on a multitude of areas of GW2 including China and excited for our new global community and what lies ahead.

I wanted to say that I agree with the concerns around the post on twitter. I have a very small number of followers and rarely catch up on my account and following a very late night earlier this week caught up on my notifications and replied. I am a strong believer in exposition to all and will be more careful about this moving forward.

Regarding Dev communication on the forums currently, as I said we are very focused on a number of areas currently and are looking forward to being able to turn our attention to healthy discussions with you all soon.

This post is not designed to appease, it is designed to inform so please take it in the spirit in which it was intended.

Chris

Thank you for the confirmation that feedback is being looked at and discussed.

I think player malcontent was caused by the volume of feedback after the feature pack; there were so many posts that the lack of Dev posts made it seem like that massive amount of feedback was being ignored.

I understand that the Devs do read the feedback and discuss things but when you have such large volumes I think a post acknowledging the feedback would be best (like yours just did). Something along the lines of:

“Hi guys! We’re grateful for all the feedback you’re giving us in this thread! We are actively discussing how the feature pack has been received and how we can improve it. We aim to discuss our ideas with you all in the near future so keep the posts coming!”

It would acknowledge the feedback and keep people in the loop about what the Devs are doing with the feedback, without requiring an in-depth community discussion (unless you want it). In most cases this wouldn’t be needed but after a massive feature pack release with thousands of feedback posts it would probably be quite useful.

EDIT: Just wanted to say that a post like that may not appease everybody but it would definitely appease any of us who just want some acknowledgement of the massive amount of feedback.

P.s. love the work you all do.

Valdol ~ [MA] Guardian FSP
All is Vain

(edited by Dagoth.7038)

Posted by: Noobix.3958

Noobix.3958

We are playing second fiddle to the Chinese players right now and I can totally understand that.

The Chinese launch needs to go smoothly for NCsofts bottom line and Anets survival as a studio long-term.

I personally feel the Megaserver rollout is a great success. It has teething problems at the moment but ultimately I feel it is working. The intended purpose was to fill out zones to make the game feel more alive. It is accomplishing that goal. However, it needs to be less hamfisted about player allocation and players need to feel they have some control over it.

Speaking as an organiser for large-scale world events like Tequatl and Tri-wurm, I also think players need to be less stubborn and learn to work around the Megaserver system. Our old ways of organizing events is going to have to work differently than it has in the past. We need a little give-and-take from Arenanet too though. Some assistance from the UI such as ‘Megaserver labelling’ as i detailed in this post would go a long way.

Posted by: KOPPER.1458

KOPPER.1458

Is it just me or does anyone else get a constant feeling like AN simply doesn’t have enough man power. I am not taking a shot at anyone here or trying to be overly negative but this is how many posts on a variety of topics comes across. On the forums, in interviews, at conventions, etc.

Posted by: Romo.3709

Romo.3709

Hi All…

Thanks for that Chris. This actually shows that you guys are aware of feedback. And even if you think is right or not, it’s still showing that you didn’t just drop everything and ran to China. Which was slowly starting to set in as an actual reality because of lack of any kind of information on the dev’s part. This clear some things out and puts many people at ease, including myself. I’m looking forward to seeing any kind of fruit that might blossom from feedback received.

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

I’m starving for new information on what’s coming up in Guild Wars 2 for us in NA/EU. Yes, I can understand Anet might be ducking into the trenches and going silent on the home stretch before China release, but we’ve had the feature patch drop in NA/EU back in mid-april and since then there’s only the continuation of WvW Spring Tournament and ToL tournament for those team arena teams.

I know they’ve said to take a break from their fortnightly schedule of releases, but that Tuesday was anyway a couple of days ago. What are we to do in the coming weeks? Months?

When are we likely to hear an official statement on that Korean NCSoft report about an expansion in the works for 2015?
When do we get more details and blog posts about upcoming PvE content for 2014?

I assume Anet are working hard to bring us new stuff, but them being silent about it is such an abrupt change from what we’ve been used to throughout the entire LS1 frequency of updates and it’s creating the illusion of nothing is happening. While I’m not afraid ESO, WS or such will draw many players away, those games have the novelty effect going for them, and without even news of such stuff coming to GW2, that’s my main cause of concern for this game.

I’m not going anywhere, GW2 is just too great, but I am concerned when the updates are mostly on stuff that’s just running anyway.

And I do hope some content update hits the servers before end of WvW Spring Tournament… to go the whole month of May without any more updates (and please, don’t let that be SAB) would really try my patience… well, at least if there isn’t an announcement of greater things to come in June.

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Here:

With the launch of the April 2014 Feature Pack, we’ll be activating the megaserver system on our level 1–15 maps, main cities, and the PvP lobby. We’ll monitor and test the system to verify that everything works correctly. Later in 2014, we’ll activate our megaserver technology across the entire world of Tyria.

Obviously, from the player’s experience with regard to precursor crafting, new legendaries, guild halls, “large projects cooking in background”, QoL features etc., “later in 2014” was not “in 1 or 2 weeks”, but rather “sometime in early 2015”.

I am fully aware of that post. And nowhere in that post do they say that they will SLOWLY roll out the mega-server. They only say later in 2014, and technically one day after the patch is later.
As far as we know the system worked well enough with the first zones they tried so they figured they might as well turned it on for all zones and working on tweaking it from there.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

Is it just me or does anyone else get a constant feeling like AN simply doesn’t have enough man power. I am not taking a shot at anyone here or trying to be overly negative but this is how many posts on a variety of topics comes across. On the forums, in interviews, at conventions, etc.

I don’t think you’re being negative there at all.

I agree that they don’t seem to have a lot of spare capacity at all and they appear to simply drop off the face of the earth whenever things get busy. I think this is partially due to the fact that they don’t have someone on the development dedicated to community interaction a liason between the company and the community at large (the mods and CMs here police the forums, herd people into feedback threads and gather feedback from those but themselves have no ability to address peoples concerns or comment on anything, they’re just not involved in the design/development side of the business).

Now, undoubtedly they have been busy since the feature patch getting things ready for China and so on but that does little to change the appearance that they have pushed this patch and simply left it while they move on to the next thing. The fact that they are willing to do that doesn’t indicate that the issues that this patch has introduced will be fixed any time soon.

This is my main issue with ArenaNet’s communication (or lack of it) people are left with no idea if the problems that they consider to be major will ever be addressed by ArenaNet.

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

Here:

With the launch of the April 2014 Feature Pack, we’ll be activating the megaserver system on our level 1–15 maps, main cities, and the PvP lobby. We’ll monitor and test the system to verify that everything works correctly. Later in 2014, we’ll activate our megaserver technology across the entire world of Tyria.

Obviously, from the player’s experience with regard to precursor crafting, new legendaries, guild halls, “large projects cooking in background”, QoL features etc., “later in 2014” was not “in 1 or 2 weeks”, but rather “sometime in early 2015”.

I am fully aware of that post. And nowhere in that post do they say that they will SLOWLY roll out the mega-server. They only say later in 2014, and technically one day after the patch is later.
As far as we know the system worked well enough with the first zones they tried so they figured they might as well turned it on for all zones and working on tweaking it from there.

That’s undoubtedly what happened however I think a more measured approach would have been better.

I wouldn’t have imagined much of a problem with low pop zones anyway.They’re largely irrelevant here as they’re still low pop for the most part. High pop zones were always going to be where the issues would occur (the fact that guilds and even parties are being scattered when zoning onto heavily populated maps, for example).

These problems were flagged well in advance and will have to be addressed soon. Lets hope they can fix it (almost) as quickly as they deployed it.

Posted by: Kalarchis.8635

Kalarchis.8635

Thank you for the reply, Chris. Despite my rants earlier I do appreciate the response. Ya’ll are very busy right now and I respect that.

But I really do need to make this point clear: the way the last two weeks have been handled from a PR standpoint is inexcusable. I’m not blaming you or anyone in particular b/c I don’t know who makes these sort of decisions in the company. So please get this feedback to whatever Anet/NCSoft big wig needs to hear it.

Ya’ll need a dedicated voice between devs and players. To drop something like the Megaserver and then leave us with zero response to feedback on it for two weeks looks really, really bad on you. “We’re very busy” isn’t an excuse. If you’re too busy and stretched too thin to handle basic PR functions, you hire new staff. Period.

I wish you all the luck with the Chinese release. And that’s the thing, guys; I love this game and I want to see it succeed. That’s why this whole fiasco got me and others so worked up: we care. And it feels like we were used as guinea pigs and then brushed aside. We don’t like feeling ignored, particularly not after you’ve thrown our communities into disarray.

Best of luck to you, Chris. I hope you and everyone else on the team get some good sleep.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Possibly. Of course, it would also mean that “well enough” for them meant “hey, the game still works” – because sure as hell the system wasn’t working good.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

lordkrall.7241

Possibly. Of course, it would also mean that “well enough” for them meant “hey, the game still works” – because sure as hell the system wasn’t working good.

And how would you suggest testing large-scale systems without using them in large-scale environments?
A test-server would never have enough people to test the same amount of pressure as the live-servers, and as such the only way to actually test it in a reliable way is to test it on large-scale with the live servers. Simple as that.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: outlaws.6910

outlaws.6910

after reading this thread i just don’t understand why some of you need Anet devs to respond? when in multiple thread/twitch episodes they have said that they do read the threads…. and when they finally do post something they get attacked/put down???

Patience is a great skills just saying…

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Let me just shake my head at one thing on this thread.

The people who claim wrongly that people aren’t posting reasonable complaints aren’t really reading. All one has to do is go look at the suggestions forum, you know the thing that’s not used anymore for updating the game since CDIs have begun, and go down the list of items in every post of things that haven’t been added to the game that are seriously just typical ui quality of life upgrades that one would expect from any modern AAA title, and then come back to this thread and tell us again how our complaints aren’t reasonable.

Yeah…

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: Lheimroo.2947

Lheimroo.2947

after reading this thread i just don’t understand why some of you need Anet devs to respond? when in multiple thread/twitch episodes they have said that they do read the threads…. and when they finally do post something they get attacked/put down???

Mm. I dunno. I’m willing to give a pass for a really big crunch like the china release, of course, but the standard Arenanet reply for a couple months has been that line, the ’We’re reading your feedback’.

Sure, but what do they think about it? Are changes doable or do some of these things we’re complaining about fit into the ‘vision’?

All I’m saying is that I pine for a more casual back and forth. And how many people really watch the twitch episodes? I had to find out on reddit through a throw-away comment that some dev had actually (reportedly) agreed that some of the trait tasks were ‘harder than intended’.

So all I get is hearsay.

I’m with the other posters here on this one. But even a simple ’We’re really busy right now, but keep posting! We’ll get back to you and get to work on improving some of these issues’ would have been enough for me to settle from ‘anxious confusion’ to ‘haggling over details’ mode.

That’s actually quite a different statement, though, than ’We’re reading’.

Edit: Yes, we did just get that statement. I’m glad!

(edited by Lheimroo.2947)

Posted by: outlaws.6910

outlaws.6910

Let me just shake my head at one thing on this thread.

The people who claim wrongly that people aren’t posting reasonable complaints aren’t really reading. All one has to do is go look at the suggestions forum, you know the thing that’s not used anymore for updating the game since CDIs have begun, and go down the list of items in every post of things that haven’t been added to the game that are seriously just typical ui quality of life upgrades that one would expect from any modern AAA title, and then come back to this thread and tell us again how our complaints aren’t reasonable.

Yeah…

im going use wow as an example how long have people been asking for many of the features they just recently been putting in? void storage/new models/transmog/pet battles ??

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Mm. I dunno. I’m willing to give a pass for a really big crunch like the china release, of course, but the standard Arenanet reply for a couple months has been that line, the ’We’re reading your feedback’.

Sure, but what do they think about it? Are changes doable or do some of these things we’re complaining about fit into the ‘vision’?

All I’m saying is that I pine for a more casual back and forth. And how many people really watch the twitch episodes? I had to find out on reddit through a throw-away comment that some dev had actually (reportedly) agreed that some of the trait tasks were ‘harder than intended’.

So all I get is hearsay.

I’m with the other posters here on this one. But even a simple ’We’re really busy right now, but keep posting! We’ll get back to you and get to work on improving some of these issues’ would have been enough for me to settle from ‘anxious confusion’ to ‘haggling over details’ mode.

That’s actually quite a different statement, though, than ’We’re reading’.

Edit: Yes, we did just get that statement. I’m glad!

I’m not advocate for people attacking the Devs but there are quite a number of things that have happened with this team that has been amazing to some of us, like things people should have caught before they were done over the time that we’ve been playing this title. It’s amazing to me that people can just dismiss things like the level 30 cost of getting traits for new characters on old accounts instead of implementing a veteran program per account, or nerfing condition builds early on which has yet to be remedied, or using a transmog style system not as a preliminary measure for wardrobe but for the final product, or making bosses immune to CC in PVE after making classes that are pretty much dependent on CC, or dumping the entire 2 years of suggestions instead of reviewing those suggestions and making the appropriate changes to the game.

It’s coming up on 2 years, how much patience should we have at this point? Some of our classes are still in beta stage.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: Lheimroo.2947

Lheimroo.2947

It’s coming up on 2 years, how much patience should we have at this point? Some of our classes are still in beta stage.

Yep. There’s plenty that has never actually been talked about by the developers in any specific way.

Class balance – the uselessness of conditions, and thus the near total uselessness of an entire condition-based class. The sheer scale of difference between effort/survivability/payoff between classes.

Reward/payoff issues throughout the game. The ascended grind. Alt unfriendliness.

Why I can earn far more mats for my crafting by arbitraging the auction house than by actually trying to farm it.

Sure, ’we’re reading’.

Nothing substantive, though.

(edited by Lheimroo.2947)

Posted by: Skan.5301

Skan.5301

The main problem to those who aren’t doting over an ANet employee response is basically two way communication. Let’s put the CDI aside because Chris does respond pretty well most of the time in those.

Generic responses such as ’We’re reading feedback.’ doesn’t cut it. When I was in school and the professors asked if I read a book, I would say yes. Did I understand what the plot was? Did I even have a clue what the book was about? That’s the problem. There’s no real confirmation that they’re reading and taking into account what’s been said.

They don’t even have to say ‘Alright, we’ve read this feedback and next patch, we’re going to add it in the game!’ No. We need things like ’We’ve discussed this and here’s what we came up with in a brief outline without giving away too much detail <incoming outline>.’

Even a simple confirmation that they understand our problems goes a long way. Right now, it just seems like they’re adding things they want and changing them as to how they want without giving our feedback much thought.

Note that this isn’t saying they aren’t adding things that we haven’t requested for a long time. I’m just saying that problems, like the Megaserver( though new and maybe halted due to the China release), bugs and glitches that have been there since Beta, class balance problems, to name a few, are just overlooked.

“Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.”
– Euripides

Posted by: Zylonite.5913

Zylonite.5913

Maybe because we have these 100 page CDI threads from last month which were ignored and now we need a new CDI thread. Why not right?

Betrayed by the gods of ANet

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

So. Much. QQ. Jesus, can’t stand this, gonna eat an apple.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Posted by: Nerelith.7360

Nerelith.7360

Oh.

My.

Goodness.

Someone answered.

Champagne, everyone!

Hold on on this champagne. Someone posted. I don’t see any answers there though.

Come to think, the very fact such post is enough cause for champagne tells us how bad the communication with Anet is lately.

And THIS is a perfect example of why they do not bother responding. Nothing they say is ever good enough, someone will always complain, someone will always find a reason to complain. maybe his spelling was off.. maybe his grammar was off… maybe he didn’;t use the correct number pf periods In his ellipsis?

Give the devsa friggen break. If I got this type of treatment, I wouldn’t respond either.

The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.

Nerelith.7360

You did however skip over a rather important part of his post. Specifically the one in bold here:

Hi,
The CDI is not Kaput at all. I have just been extremely busy like the rest of the team and as I have said before there is absolutely no point in doing a CDI if we cannot contribute properly to it.
A new CDI will be coming shortly! Thanks for your patience.
Chris

Which very much tells us why they are currently not active on the forums.

And the title of this thread is? I think he was on topic. And yet, no matter what his response, he gets criticized. yes, this is a perfect reason to not respond.

The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.

Nerelith.7360

If they did say ‘we are aware of the issues and are looking into it’, do you honestly believe that people would stop posting / whining about the same thing on a daily basis?

No, but they wouldn’t move on to other games which are still under active development.

Let me get this straight, if a developer doesn’t answer or respond to a post they put … people leave?

Not sure these are people I wanna Play with to be gin with to be perfectly honest.

Posted by: StriderShinryu.6923

StriderShinryu.6923

The main problem to those who aren’t doting over an ANet employee response is basically two way communication. Let’s put the CDI aside because Chris does respond pretty well most of the time in those.

Generic responses such as ’We’re reading feedback.’ doesn’t cut it. When I was in school and the professors asked if I read a book, I would say yes. Did I understand what the plot was? Did I even have a clue what the book was about? That’s the problem. There’s no real confirmation that they’re reading and taking into account what’s been said.

They don’t even have to say ‘Alright, we’ve read this feedback and next patch, we’re going to add it in the game!’ No. We need things like ’We’ve discussed this and here’s what we came up with in a brief outline without giving away too much detail <incoming outline>.’

Even a simple confirmation that they understand our problems goes a long way. Right now, it just seems like they’re adding things they want and changing them as to how they want without giving our feedback much thought.

Note that this isn’t saying they aren’t adding things that we haven’t requested for a long time. I’m just saying that problems, like the Megaserver( though new and maybe halted due to the China release), bugs and glitches that have been there since Beta, class balance problems, to name a few, are just overlooked.

Bingo.

When you release a patch that you absolutely have to know has issues that the player base is going to at least mildly annoyed with if not absolutely filled with rage by, you don’t cut and run. We understand that the devs are busy but this sort of lacking response is emblematic of a lack of respect for the player base. Being told “We read the forums” or “we’ve talked about that” sounds a lot like being told “Because” when you ask why. Open communication is key, and with open communication comes a lot less negative of a response. I remember playing The Matrix Online in it’s final stretch before being shut down. The staff working on the game was basically cut down to one concepts dev, one implementation dev and some shared tech support. There were almost no updates to the game any more and there was a lot to complain about from a player’s perspective. One of the two remaining devs, however, took the time to communicate with the player base and explain what was going on. Ideas that could be implemented were, and ideas that couldn’t were given reasons. No one liked that the game was being flushed and that we weren’t getting any new content but because the developer was open and communicative about things, the discourse was actually largely positive.

Of course, the alternative to that is that ANet somehow didn’t know or consider that the recent patch would have the issues it did, or that the player base would react the way it did, which is whole other level of problem entirely.

lordkrall.7241

And the title of this thread is? I think he was on topic. And yet, no matter what his response, he gets criticized. yes, this is a perfect reason to not respond.

I don’t really see what that have to do with the post you quoted though.
I have been saying throughout the whole thread that they are most likely busy with Chinese release, and thus why they are silent.

And when Chris made his post someone complained about him not actually saying anything and I simply corrected that post by showing that he gave us the exact reason for why they are silent.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Porterhouse.6304

Porterhouse.6304

As it has been said here already… Anet can’t say or do /anything/ without people throwing a tantrum here on the forums.

…every time they make posts it’s a bunch of [rant rave] I dont know about you, but if I had to deal with that on an hourly basis, it would not belong before I told Anet [rant rave] I’m not dealing with a bunch of whining brats all day everyday."

Frankly I wouldn’t say anything myself if I was them-answering hastily to outcries will do nothing, and could even make things worse.

It’s not an easy situation for them. If they don’t say anything they get criticized for that.

Because most of the users are childish and immature and will hold anything a dev says against them if anything gets side tracked.

Add on that a majority of the kvetching is rude, mean-spirited, and rife with entitlement, and they have very little incentive to give any scraps to the mongrel pit. -_-

If you want more dev interaction on these forums, it’ll take months of you guys exercising self-control and not attacking them or their work.
These forums haven’t been respectful enough to earn further dev interaction. If I worked for ArenaNet, I’d NEVER come here.

When the entire forum is cheering for the devs’ deaths after the recent patch, I think if I were a dev, I’d remain quiet as well. Just my two cents…

I do honestly think that, if we set the right tone, we’d start to see a lot more developers feel comfortable posting here.

That isn’t feedback so much as pouting. I cannot imagine why they aren’t breaking down the gates to listen to that.

Frankly, they have nothing to gain from posting anything that is not in FINAL stages of implementation.

If the people writing at my forums were like the kittens posting in these forums, I wouldn’t pay any attention either.

Even if they reply with a “Yes we are reading all your comments about the new features but it will take us some time before we can reply about specific problems”, it won’t satisfy 99% of those complaining on the forums.

So, either some people complain or a lot more people complain. Either way it won’t stop the complaints. “It’s better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.”

And if they did people would still complain about them not doing enough

And THIS is a perfect example of why they do not bother responding. Nothing they say is ever good enough, someone will always complain, someone will always find a reason to complain.

Do you guys realize that you are implying that the Anet staff are a bunch of ultra-sensitive wimps that can’t even stomach a few lines of text on an internet forum?

I, like many others here, might have a sour opinion of them for the nerf and silent treatment coktail. But even I don’t think they are THAT bad.

Posted by: Porterhouse.6304

Porterhouse.6304

Okay, so they should simply not have said anything at all then?
1: ArenaNet says nothing and people demand that they say something at least so that we know that they have not left the game.
2: ArenaNet says something and explains why they are not talking much at the moment.
3: People complain about them saying the wrong thing and we are back at #1 again.

Also, the irony of it all: this topic has a red post. Anet responded.
OPs title is defeated.

Maybe we simplified this too much by asking for just a break in the silence. I think we should have said “an actual answer”

Players: Anet, please tell us your plans to fix the town clothes/megaserver fiasco.

Anet: The moon is made of cheese.

Players: Wait… What??

lordkrall: Okay, so they should simply not have said anything at all then?

CETheLucid: Anet responded. OPs title is defeated.

- – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – -

Although, I have to give Kudos for somebody from Anet actually showing up. After half a month of dead silence I thought that their entire community relations team got canned. Cheers to Chris Whiteside! I honestly hope that your boss doesn’t try and throw you out a window for posting here.

So you’re reading all the feedback in all areas? Cool. You’re also planning to turn your attention to healthy discussions with us soon? Cool. A single response (in English) like this on the forums (not Twitter/Facebook) is what we’ve been waiting for. Catch yourself a cold one.

If you could send someone with a red tag to the Town Clothes Nerf consolidation thread over here it would be pretty sweet too.
There are still a lot of people wondering if you guys are REALLY serious about this tonic thing.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

As it has been said here already… Anet can’t say or do /anything/ without people throwing a tantrum here on the forums.

…every time they make posts it’s a bunch of [rant rave] I dont know about you, but if I had to deal with that on an hourly basis, it would not belong before I told Anet [rant rave] I’m not dealing with a bunch of whining brats all day everyday."

Frankly I wouldn’t say anything myself if I was them-answering hastily to outcries will do nothing, and could even make things worse.

It’s not an easy situation for them. If they don’t say anything they get criticized for that.

Because most of the users are childish and immature and will hold anything a dev says against them if anything gets side tracked.

Add on that a majority of the kvetching is rude, mean-spirited, and rife with entitlement, and they have very little incentive to give any scraps to the mongrel pit. -_-

If you want more dev interaction on these forums, it’ll take months of you guys exercising self-control and not attacking them or their work.
These forums haven’t been respectful enough to earn further dev interaction. If I worked for ArenaNet, I’d NEVER come here.

When the entire forum is cheering for the devs’ deaths after the recent patch, I think if I were a dev, I’d remain quiet as well. Just my two cents…

I do honestly think that, if we set the right tone, we’d start to see a lot more developers feel comfortable posting here.

That isn’t feedback so much as pouting. I cannot imagine why they aren’t breaking down the gates to listen to that.

Frankly, they have nothing to gain from posting anything that is not in FINAL stages of implementation.

If the people writing at my forums were like the kittens posting in these forums, I wouldn’t pay any attention either.

Even if they reply with a “Yes we are reading all your comments about the new features but it will take us some time before we can reply about specific problems”, it won’t satisfy 99% of those complaining on the forums.

So, either some people complain or a lot more people complain. Either way it won’t stop the complaints. “It’s better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.”

And if they did people would still complain about them not doing enough

And THIS is a perfect example of why they do not bother responding. Nothing they say is ever good enough, someone will always complain, someone will always find a reason to complain.

Do you guys realize that you are implying that the Anet staff are a bunch of ultra-sensitive wimps that can’t even stomach a few lines of text on an internet forum?

I, like many others here, might have a sour opinion of them for the nerf and silent treatment coktail. But even I don’t think they are THAT bad.

On the contrary. We are implying that the habitual complainers on the forum won’t be satisfied by any answer from ANet that isn’t agreeing with the complainers position 100% so it’s not worth ANet’s time to engage them at all.

A simple acknowledgement of reading the feedback has already been dismissed by some posters as being pointless. If they acknowledge a point it will be held as a sacred vow that what that point refers to will be changed. Any vague reference to time like “in the future” or “soon” is translated as next week or next patch. And when it doesn’t come out on the player’s timetable, cries of lier and promise breaker is heard on the forums.

It’s really a no win situation for them. So why stick their hand in the hungry piranha tank? Much easier to release public statements on the main site and simply collect feedback here on the forums than try to carry on a constructive conversation because most of the conversation on the boards aren’t constructive at all.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

Also, remember that there are around 4 million GW2 accounts. Even if only 25% of those are active players (and that’s a very conservative estimate) that means @1 million people. If all the active players were gathered in one place, and everyone posting complaints on the forums stood together in a group and waved signs in the air, the devs, looking out over the crowd… wouldn’t even see them.

Posted by: Zok.4956

Zok.4956

It’s really a no win situation for them. So why stick their hand in the hungry piranha tank?

If something is really screwed up (so that your loyal customers transformed into piranhas) then the best way to start a communicaion with them is to jump into the piranha tank.

And then you will see: They are not really Piranhas. Just angry. And after blowing some steam you can start (with most of them) a healthy und constructive discussion and you can (and will) convince a lot of them to stay and wait and explain why some changes are necessary, what could be changed, and what could not… etc…

Happy customers are always a win for a company. At least for a company that cares about its existing customer base.

greetings.

Posted by: Evans.6347

Evans.6347

Here:

Oh come on, that’s just being insufferable. I’m not going to throw about imaginary percentages, but I’m most convinced that the larger part of people reading that line did not interpret ‘later in 2014’ as the next week. Nor should they.

Seriously, do you tell your friends you’re going to see them ‘later in 2014’ when you actually mean in the next weeks? Why should any of us interpret that in the most strict sense ever instead of the conventional social manner?

Joy to the world, ignorance is bliss

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

But I really do need to make this point clear: the way the last two weeks have been handled from a PR standpoint is inexcusable. I’m not blaming you or anyone in particular b/c I don’t know who makes these sort of decisions in the company. So please get this feedback to whatever Anet/NCSoft big wig needs to hear it.

Ya’ll need a dedicated voice between devs and players. To drop something like the Megaserver and then leave us with zero response to feedback on it for two weeks looks really, really bad on you. “We’re very busy” isn’t an excuse. If you’re too busy and stretched too thin to handle basic PR functions, you hire new staff. Period.

I wish you all the luck with the Chinese release. And that’s the thing, guys; I love this game and I want to see it succeed. That’s why this whole fiasco got me and others so worked up: we care. And it feels like we were used as guinea pigs and then brushed aside. We don’t like feeling ignored, particularly not after you’ve thrown our communities into disarray.

Agree.

Though I still feel as if I’ve been “brushed aside”, and I can tell you that will not fly with me forever.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

Romo.3709

Couldn’t agree more. To top is off it’s not the first time something like this has happened.
#FractalReset #NeverForget

Posted by: Azreell.1568

Azreell.1568

Amazing people continue to fall for the exact same stereo-typical Anet response’s we have been hearing for the better of a year now.

Oh well. It is what it is.

Azreell – Mesmer
Loyalty To None

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

The CDI initiative appears kaput, and the four or five feedback threads on feature patch features haven’t garnered a single substantive response.

I don’t think it’s adequate to say ’We’re reading what you post’ if they fail to actually respond to concerns raised.

Comes a point where I need to know what’s coming up or what Arenanet developers actually think about the feedback being offered in order to have ‘faith’ in where they’re setting their development in future.

I mean, take the feature patch – some of those features could’ve been improved significantly if we’d had the opportunity to offer feedback in advance; ie, before they were baked and almost ready to be rolled out. But that’s rather typical of arenanet’s community-communications style: they work on what they got and put it out, THEN get surprised by feedback.

Most other industries seek customer feedback in a multistage iterative process during product creation, and it only makes sense. Even in MMOland, look at Blizzard – discussing the upcoming expansion in detail a year or more out from release.

Even in the CDI threads, developer commentary basically amounted to ‘Yeah, we read that. It’s interesting’.

I hate to say it; we need a ‘Ghostcrawler’.

Hi,

The CDI is not Kaput at all. I have just been extremely busy like the rest of the team and as I have said before there is absolutely no point in doing a CDI if we cannot contribute properly to it.

A new CDI will be coming shortly! Thanks for your patience.

Chris

The response is appreciated, but it’s not just about the CDI. Actually, that’s one of the least important parts of it. It’s the lack of frequent, informal interaction that’s really the problem – showing up in random threads on different topics throughout each week, talking about your plans more freely, genuinely responding to feedback, and providing insights into the decisions that are made, etc. These things should be happening on a more or less daily basis.

And, like an above poster said, disappearing for weeks after a very major patch with the excuse of being ‘busy’ is unbelievable from a business/professionalism perspective, and is sort of a microcosm explaining why frustration and toxicity have built up to critical mass on the forums gradually over the past year.

Even though you have some white knights blaming the players for this phenomenon, they are unequivocally wrong. It’s an outgrowth of a system that you are in charge of. If the forums are a toxic mess, the responsibility for it falls squarely on Anet’s shoulders.

(edited by Einlanzer.1627)

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

I wonder what my wife would do if she told me I’m not communicating enough and I responded, “I hear you, honey, but I’m really busy right now. Kthxbye!”

(edited by Gibson.4036)

Posted by: Azreell.1568

Azreell.1568

I wonder what my wife woul do if she told me I’m not communicating enoughand I responded, “I hear you, honey, but I’m really busy right now. Kthxbye!”

You wouldn’t be writing this as she would have been awarded your computer as well as everything else you own in the divorce.

:)

Azreell – Mesmer
Loyalty To None

Posted by: oshilator.4681

oshilator.4681

Couldn’t agree more. To top is off it’s not the first time something like this has happened.
#FractalReset #NeverForget

Really? Folks are STILL upset about the Fractal reset?
#GetOverIt #NotABigDeal

Headdesk

Gibson.4036

#GetOverIt #NotABigDeal

Preview Blogpost

Players: We don’t like this upcoming change!
Whiteknights: Quit complaining until you see it. It might not be that bad!

Patch day

P: We don’t like this new change!
WKs: Quit complaining, they know there’s stuff to work on. Give them a chance to work out the kinks!

Months later

P: That change still sucks!
WKs: You’re still upset about that? Get over it! It’s too late to do anything about it now.

(edited by Gibson.4036)

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

#GetOverIt #NotABigDeal

Preview Blogpost

Patch day

WKs: Quit complaining, they know there’s stuff to work on. Give them a chance to work out the kinks!

Months later

WKs: You’re still upset about that? Get over it! It’s too late to do anything about it now.

GREAT ANALLOGY, I love it. +1

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

#GetOverIt #NotABigDeal

Preview Blogpost

Patch day

Months later

I lost fractal levels and was upset and first but then I actually PLAYED the content. I liked it and thought the reset made sense for what they did. Don’t you go lumping all players who were upset at first into the same category. Leave your straw man arguments at home.

Romo.3709

I lost fractal levels and was upset and first but then I actually PLAYED the content. I liked it and thought the reset made sense for what they did. Don’t you go lumping all players who were upset at first into the same category. Leave your straw man arguments at home.

Nobody’s talking about you. Get over yourself. Read:

Months later
P: That change still sucks! (not you)

Gibson.4036

Hmmm, you seem to be taking what I wrote for a different purpose than intended.

I wasn’t saying that all people upset about the fractal reset are still upset, or even that I agree with them. I’m pretty ambivalent about it, as I’ve never set foot in a fractal, and don’t intend to any time soon.

I was simply pointing out that no matter when people complain here, they get dismissed with an argument that the timing isn’t right. It’s either too soon to complain, or too late.

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

#GetOverIt #NotABigDeal

Preview Blogpost

Patch day

Months later

Sadly true…. but I thank you for making me laugh xD

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

Nobody’s talking about you. Get over yourself. Read:

Months later
P: That change still sucks! (not you)

Won’t argue with you because you won’t hear any viewpoint that doesn’t agree with you. So I"ll agree to disagree with you.

~Moving on~

And as far as the original topic goes…getting back on the original topic here.

The Development team tries to listen to everyone, the forums are a small part of a much larger community within Guild Wars 2. Many people come to the forums just to complain but there are a whole heap of players who have no interest in the forums and only submit feedback through the game and more who just silently leave the game without a word when they get bored.

They try to communicate with us but they don’t have someone where their only job is to answer questions and relay information to forum goers. They take time away from their job, family life, etc to make time to communicate with us on the forum. I would much rather them focus on the project(s) at hand there in the studio and try to make time for the vocal players here on the forums when possible. It is not always possible though. Hundreds of posts are made every day and things are easily lost in the sea of responses.

Those that are unhappy have likely never worked in a busy place where you’re trying to fix something or get something done for the customer and you’ve got the customer breathing down your neck and asking you questions about how about this, have you tried this….It’s like doing tech support for my parents. >.<

Posted by: AlexEBT.7240

AlexEBT.7240

I have been saying throughout the whole thread that they are most likely busy with Chinese release, and thus why they are silent.

And when Chris made his post someone complained about him not actually saying anything and I simply corrected that post by showing that he gave us the exact reason for why they are silent.

And do you blame them for their reaction? Anet went out and rolled out a new server system, a really big and important change with far reaching implications for the open world pve content, that has major kinks in how it functions and how it affects the enjoyment of many players.

In the meantime we have complete radio silence on the topic for a very long period of time and later on we find out that most of these problems won’t be even started to be adressed in the near future, first because the team was enjoying their easter holiday and now because they are focusing on the chinese release. And no one sees a problem with this?

No one makes such a big change to their game and then goes off to do something else on their schedule without leaving any measure of support in case what they changed didn’t work properly.

Personally, at least i’m happy we got a response and an ETA for when they’ll start adressing the problems but the entire thing was misshandled.

(edited by AlexEBT.7240)

Posted by: Cactus.2710

Cactus.2710

And do you blame them for their reaction? Anet went out and rolled out a new server system, a really big and important change with far reaching implications for the open world pve content, that has major kinks in how it functions and how it affects the enjoyment of many players.

In the meantime we have complete radio silence on the topic for a very long period of time and later on we find out that most of these problems won’t be even started to be adressed in the near future, first because the team was enjoying their easter holiday and now because they are focusing on the chinese release. And no one sees a problem with this?

No one makes such a big change to their game and then goes off to do something else on their schedule without leaving any measure of support in case what they changed didn’t work properly.

Personally, at least i’m happy we got a response and an ETA for when they’ll start adressing the problems but the entire thing was misshandled.

The really crazy thing about all of this is that large companies often pay millions of dollars for marketing … to maintain contact/visibility with their potential customer base, to keep their potential customer base informed, to persuade their potential customer base that they have a good product, and to convince their potential customer base that they can and will respond to future problems. Yet ANet (and they are not alone in the corporate world by any means) remains totally clueless that they have that exact same opportunity here on these forums for a minute fraction of the money they spend elsewhere for that same function. And before somebody trots out the silly comment that marketing money goes toward customers you don’t have yet while these forums are populated by existing customers, it is a fundamental premise of marketing that the most important customer is the one you already have.

It doesn’t really matter whether ANet devs like or dislike what they see posted here, or whether their feelings get hurt, or whatever other excuse lordkrall might come up with. The fact is that ANet has since launch totally mishandled these forums and squandered the opportunity for goodwill … and marketing effectiveness … that they could have gained from them.

D/D Thief who prefers mobility to stealth … so yeah, I die a lot
Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

Posted by: timmyf.1490

timmyf.1490

Look, the truth is that there are players (such as myself) who enjoy the game substantially and are willing to let Anet off the hook for a few missteps here and there. There are other players who will be critical of any change that impacts them whatsoever.

I’ll continue to show up in threads and remind you guys that game developers are people who don’t deserve abuse from anonymous forum-posters (and get called a White Knight) just like Romo will continue to show up and complain that his Fractal level was reset on every single post with a red-tag (and get called a Whiner).

I’m just surprised this thread is still open, as it mostly consists of mud-slinging and personal attacks. It seems like it has outlived its usefulness.

Karaoke – Guild Leader – [MEGA] Super Mega Happy Fun Time
www.getunicorned.com / northernshiverpeaks.org

Posted by: Skan.5301

Skan.5301

Look, the truth is that there are players (such as myself) who enjoy the game substantially and are willing to let Anet off the hook for a few missteps here and there. There are other players who will be critical of any change that impacts them whatsoever.

I’ll continue to show up in threads and remind you guys that game developers are people who don’t deserve abuse from anonymous forum-posters (and get called a White Knight) just like Romo will continue to show up and complain that his Fractal level was reset on every single post with a red-tag (and get called a Whiner).

I’m just surprised this thread is still open, as it mostly consists of mud-slinging and personal attacks. It seems like it has outlived its usefulness.

No one’s saying don’t like the game. Like the game, it’s personal preference. What is the problem is that the Devs are making too many mistakes to be forgiven in the eyes of those who, really and truly, know the game can be better if things were handled differently.

That’s not saying there are those who just bash for the hell of it. There are. But those who provide valid suggestions and offer sound critical feedback aren’t considered. And those white knights you talk about are those who dismiss everything that’s negative, even though it has a point, and tries build a logical obstacle course around it that’s more of a labyrinth that basically goes around and around but never gets to the point.

Even though the Devs can’t give away too much, this “soon”, and “nothing is off the table”, and “we’re working on it”, doesn’t cut it in the end. If I were to ask “When can we get battle axes in the game?” and a Dev responds “soon”, I expect battle axes to be added to the game, but it doesn’t even tell me if soon means within this next LS section or once Mars is populated and we make contact with the aliens in URC93013.
I’d prefer a “We’ve worked on some design ideas, and we’ve gotten an idea of how to implement them, but we need more time.” That tells me they’ve considered it, and are in the process of getting them in the game.

Just a little detail is what we’re asking for. Even though some will take everything quite literally, it will quell the unrest and make the forums less hostile in most cases.

“Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.”
– Euripides