Posted by: Naus the Gobbo.5172

Naus the Gobbo.5172

What we do in life echoes in eternity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6zkT2uZAGA – GW2 – A world of wonder

WvW no longer required for world completion

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Bristingr.5034

Bristingr.5034

Why Anet? What’s the point of it being called WORLD completion, if they don’t even have to explore the entire world of the game anymore?

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Removal-Of-WvW-Map-Completion-In-Patch/first#post4874308

They are already talking about it the WvW forums. Please lets move the discussion there, as it fits more in the WvW forums than here.

Thanks!

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Why Anet? What’s the point of it being called WORLD completion, if they don’t even have to explore the entire world of the game anymore?

While I don’t particularly like the removal of wvw from map completion . . . We don’t have to explore sPvP or dungeon pois and waypoints for map completion. So, even with the wvw completion added in, we still weren’t required to explore the “entire world of the game”.

Posted by: Justfor.6018

Justfor.6018

I went away from GW2 for a year.

My #1 reason for leaving was the fact that I needed to participate in WvW (I loathe PvP) to achieve World Completion.

I saw this announcement by pure luck, and I’m already reinstalling GW2.

This is the “News of The Year” for me; I really really hope ANet gives this move a lot of publicity because it could bring a lot of quitters back.

:)

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

While I don’t particularly like the removal of wvw from map completion . . . We don’t have to explore sPvP or dungeon pois and waypoints for map completion. So, even with the wvw completion added in, we still weren’t required to explore the “entire world of the game”.

We don’t have to explore newly added PvE maps either!

Posted by: Nyx.7342

Nyx.7342

They should add something else as a reward for wvw map completion. Maybe make new weapons, or give access to mistforged for those who have done it or do it. Im not into wvw but i liked the fact you had to do pve and wvw maps because it was fair to both kinds of players.

Posted by: niea.7504

niea.7504

They should add something else as a reward for wvw map completion. Maybe make new weapons, or give access to mistforged for those who have done it or do it. Im not into wvw but i liked the fact you had to do pve and wvw maps because it was fair to both kinds of players.

I like the mistforged idea.

Posted by: ShinjoNaomi.1896

ShinjoNaomi.1896

Looks like all those PvPers looking for easy kills will have to get their kicks some other way.

“If half as many people were half as brave in real life as they were online…
… The human race would never have to worry about be oppressed again.”
I think trolls should have their computers smashed. ’Its all part of the game. U mad bro?’

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

Freedom at last!

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Posted by: Light.7493

Light.7493

Soooo there will be a vendor which gives a legendary in exchange for gift of battle? :P

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Sounds fair to me. I’d get both.
#100%worldbeforepatch

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

Megaserver reduced the folks spamming for help in Lion’s Arch when a server was dying in WvWvW. I rejoiced.

Now this bit of news comes up and I’m quite pleased about it as well.

People that like PvE can enjoy full map completion while those in that other game mode don’t need to worry about hanger-ons taking up their precious server spots.

Yes WvWvW should get something that is solely theirs.
Mainly due to my belief that they sometimes get treated like the unloved step child chained to the radiator.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

Khisanth.2948

Looks like all those PvPers looking for easy kills will have to get their kicks some other way.

Hmm … sell more smurf accounts. I see where you are going with this.

Posted by: rhapsody.3615

rhapsody.3615

While I can see how this benefits many many people.. I have one reservation: New players now have absolutely no reason to enter WvW. That is a bad thing. There are many players who are adverse to WvW before trying it. After spending some time in there to complete maps, they come to realize that it is a fun game mode, and some stay.

Why couldn’t they just require one (any) borderland map? Getting your own server’s borderland map is quite easy…

pdavis.8031

So what happens to those who have slogged through WvW, have gotten ganked on a regualar basis trying to do the map completion?

I understand we got our rewards for doing so, but are those people just going be ignored?

recognize my command!”

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Posted by: Murksler.5261

Murksler.5261

And now remove the PvE map completion. Else where I will not get any Gift of Exploration because PvE map completion is a boring mindless grindfest which I don’t enjoy.

Posted by: Terrorsquad.2349

Terrorsquad.2349

“..at the Next release” Whats the next release?
Do they mean the expansion HoT or the next following patch?

Cheers

Denied | 5.9k PvP Games | PvP Rank: 236 | 8.6k hours | 9 Legendaries | Still Bad.

Posted by: Bristingr.5034

Bristingr.5034

We don’t have to explore newly added PvE maps either![/quote]

My apologies. I never noticed that dungeons and sPvP were never apart of the World Completion. I think Iron Marches were the last part I needed, so I had everything else first (including the new PvE areas).

That said, needing to explore WvW helped me experience how awesome it is. I may of never noticed that mode if I didn’t need to grab the Vistas, PoIs, and other things from it.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

As part of our ongoing efforts to align the systems of Guild Wars 2 more closely with their connected content, we’re changing the way that world completion works in the next release . Specifically, we’re removing the World vs. World maps from world completion requirements.

World completion is only needed for legendary weapons (and these must now be considered PvE only). So since they’re removing WvW from counting, perhaps they should remove Badges of Honor from being needed for the gift as well. May as well be consistent.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Posted by: Gobble D Goop.4081

Gobble D Goop.4081

So what happens to those who have slogged through WvW, have gotten ganked on a regualar basis trying to do the map completion?

I understand we got our rewards for doing so, but are those people just going be ignored?

most likely, yes. It is also very likely that they will remove the map completion chests from mapping the wvw maps as well which would be very disappointing.

Habitual Warrior-Ranger
Gates Of Madness
Jewelcrafting to 500!

Posted by: Malkavian.4516

Malkavian.4516

I welcome the removal myself despite the requirement not being a major bother to me. But don’t you think it would be better to replace the requirement by providing map completion bonuses to the new maps (the Silverwastes, Dry Top and Southsun).

What does concern me though is that I hope the rewards for map completion on those worlds remain intact.

@rhapsody The way I see it, depending on what server you are on, new players may or may not go to WvW at all. If new players want to get a headstart on WvW, I suggest they seek guidance through a guild who will gladly help them out.

FOR SKYRIM!!!!!

Rauderi.8706

Let’s hope they sneak in a reward for the pre-patch 100% and anyone brave enough to do full WvW maps more than once. Not just brave, but patient. Waiting for that color rotation is what kept me from finishing 100% for two years.

And, truthfully, WvW needs some unique rewards for those who enjoy it and as incentive to draw new or begrudging players. Because daily ruin capture isn’t doing it. =P

Many alts; handle it!
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: DanteZero.9736

DanteZero.9736

Better late than never! Though it’s more than 2 years too late for me (I already played the game of “follow the exclusively blue dorito” back then), at least new players won’t have to go through a map where other players can mess up your chances of reaching particular places.

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

While I can see how this benefits many many people.. I have one reservation: New players now have absolutely no reason to enter WvW.

I have hope that the new player is a curious creature by nature, willing to plod around with anything if their minds are open to it. Besides there’s always the factor of them joining a guild that does play WvWvW and they enjoy it from there or despise it, but learned something.

That is a bad thing. There are many players who are adverse to WvW before trying it.

Because some folks detest PvP, get bored by it, or just don’t see the thrill of that game mode. That’s just their nature and adding carrots to that stick won’t help.

After spending some time in there to complete maps, they come to realize that it is a fun game mode, and some stay.

There are other incentives that could work which are less…“forceful” (I’m not good at thinking of a better term).
New characters do get WvWvW boosters as they reach a level, then there’s always advertisements over the new season of that game, and (once again) relying on the extensive player base that have helpful guilds who can ease a person into that sort of thing.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

(edited by Atlas.9704)

Posted by: UrMom.4205

UrMom.4205

Here’s my take on it. I understand the arguments from both sides. I personally don’t agree with the change. I feel like if a player wants to get a legendary they should have to experience and become a master in all aspects of the game. I’d even go a step further and say they should add some sPvp requirements (even if it is just exploring the sPvP lobby map) in order to get the Gift.

If I were Anet I would make world completion into a tiered achievement. Complete 100% pve gets you AP, the title, maybe the star on your name. Tier 2 , which adds WvW and some sPvP exploration gets you the gifts for legendary.

Otherwise based off of their statement “to align the systems of Guild Wars 2 more closely with their connected content” they should remove the use of legendaries in WvW.

Team Raven [TR](Dead)
Wu Táng Financial [Táng] – YB

Khisanth.2948

Let’s hope they sneak in a reward for the pre-patch 100% and anyone brave enough to do full WvW maps more than once. Not just brave, but patient. Waiting for that color rotation is what kept me from finishing 100% for two years.

And, truthfully, WvW needs some unique rewards for those who enjoy it and as incentive to draw new or begrudging players. Because daily ruin capture isn’t doing it. =P

It’s not that big of a deal depending on your server. A bit of planning also helps. For example I went and got everything of a particular color on almost every character at once.

I use WvW to clear the DR for my daily Rhendak. :P

Posted by: Subutex.2416

Subutex.2416

“Ah the whiners”, you guys are so full of yourselves.
Think of those servers that are less active on WvW, it’s way harder for their players to do WvW completion. It’s a matter of justice. Although I’m on SFR I totally agree with this change.

Posted by: rhapsody.3615

rhapsody.3615

I welcome the removal myself despite the requirement not being a major bother to me. But don’t you think it would be better to replace the requirement by providing map completion bonuses to the new maps (the Silverwastes, Dry Top and Southsun).

What does concern me though is that I hope the rewards for map completion on those worlds remain intact.

@rhapsody The way I see it, depending on what server you are on, new players may or may not go to WvW at all. If new players want to get a headstart on WvW, I suggest they seek guidance through a guild who will gladly help them out.

I’m sure a guild would help those people. My point mostly is that wvw maps being required for world completion gets people to step foot into a game mode they otherwise would not even try. I personally didn’t have any interest in wvw until I got my first character to level 80 and had my sights set on Meteorlogicus. Had I not needed those maps, I might still never have gotten into wvw. I now play the game mode often, and there were a few months where I pretty much only played wvw for hours every day.

People tend to react negatively to wvw and pvp. I can’t tell you how many people I have persuaded to try them, and once they do they come to enjoy them.

I guess I’m just sad that Anet has reduced the need for players to try wvw.

Posted by: Malkavian.4516

Malkavian.4516

Here’s my take on it. I understand the arguments from both sides. I personally don’t agree with the change. I feel like if a player wants to get a legendary they should have to experience and become a master in all aspects of the game. I’d even go a step further and say they should add some sPvp requirements (even if it is just exploring the sPvP lobby map) in order to get the Gift.

If I were Anet I would make world completion into a tiered achievement. Complete 100% pve gets you AP, the title, maybe the star on your name. Tier 2 , which adds WvW and some sPvP exploration gets you the gifts for legendary.

Otherwise based off of their statement “to align the systems of Guild Wars 2 more closely with their connected content” they should remove the use of legendaries in WvW.

The issue I have with that in WvW is that a single player may find it extremely challenging to get people to cooperate with him to get the map completion necessary to get the Gift of Exploration. It will no longer be about mastery of the WvW aspect as opposed to waiting for an opportune time for them to face inferior servers giving their said server enough supremacy to breeze through the maps without fear of enemies charging at them.

FOR SKYRIM!!!!!

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

Everyone who has run in WvW has gotten ganked from time to time. It happens.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

Posted by: PookieDaWombat.6209

PookieDaWombat.6209

Y’know, as a WvW player now I have to say this makes me a little sad. It was only because of this requirement that I went into WvW and came to really like playing in there. shrug

Oh well…

[OTR] – Greck Howlbane – Guardian
Soraya Mayhew – Thief
Melissa Koris – Engie – SF for Life!

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

The WvW map is in the mists, it is literally not a physical portion of the world of Tyria in any way, shape, or form.

Plus, it’s a PvE achievement and WvW is a PvP game mode, nobody likes being forced in to content they don’t like for rewards for content they do. Hence all the reward content that has been given its own acquisition method for each game mode through the WvW vendors and PvP tracks. The game has obviously been headed this direction for some time now and most of us are glad to see this happen.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

Posted by: UrMom.4205

UrMom.4205

The issue I have with that in WvW is that a single player may find it extremely challenging to get people to cooperate with him to get the map completion necessary to get the Gift of Exploration. It will no longer be about mastery of the WvW aspect as opposed to waiting for an opportune time for them to face inferior servers giving their said server enough supremacy to breeze through the maps without fear of enemies charging at them.

I’ve done map completion 3 different times and was able to do all the wvw maps solo each time. It doesn’t require some grand “everyone let us run through the map untouched”. It’s just a matter of juking and taking smart paths. Will you get killed a few times? sure, but honestly stuff like that is just part of the game.

I would suggest the map’s poi and a few vistas adjusted to allow for a player to get them even if their server doesn’t own the tower or such. So say you run by an enemy tower near the gate, it activates the poi. Vista in a tower gets moved to a nearby cliff outside the tower. etc.

Team Raven [TR](Dead)
Wu Táng Financial [Táng] – YB

Posted by: Ranael.6423

Ranael.6423

I would have preferred a half/half solution where you get a Gift and a Title from Open World exploration and another Gift and Title for WvW Exploration. After all only one gift is needed per legendary.

Posted by: SimBilly.8047

SimBilly.8047

I can see the reasoning behind the change and I totally understand why some people pushed for it, but I have to say… I’m not a PVP / WVW / etc person and I lived through it. It really wasn’t all that bad completing the requirement and I even had fun in there after dipping my toes in a few times.

Posted by: Wetpaw.3487

Wetpaw.3487

Still need Gift of Battle?

JQ Druid

pdavis.8031

True, but the difference is as a map completer, one is purposely avoiding anyone and anything and doing whatever they can NOT to engage in combat and being jumped by 2+ people. The other is actively participating in WvW and acting as either a scout, dolyak escort, or trying to meet up with the zerg at the other side of the map.

One is an active combatant, the other a “tourist”.

recognize my command!”

Rauderi.8706

I don’t have many good memories of WvW. Or many memories at all.

But getting sidelined by a zergtrain was actually one of the most hilarious moments I’ve had in the Mists.

Many alts; handle it!

Khisanth.2948

Y’know, as a WvW player now I have to say this makes me a little sad. It was only because of this requirement that I went into WvW and came to really like playing in there. shrug

Oh well…

That is one of the reasons they’ve kept it in so far. I guess the other side finally won the argument.

pdavis.8031

Still need Gift of Battle?

I would assume so. However it is possible to obtain the gift of battle without doing much in WvW. I think you need to be level 14, and have 500 badges of honor. Badges of honor come with AP chests, thats how I got most of mine.

But even the gift of battle makes sense. With map completion the problem was it was near impossible even for a small group to be able to get anything, and the only other option was to wait until you switched colors. On smaller populated servers, joining a zerg was just as difficult if there wasnt enough people to get a zerg going.

recognize my command!”

Posted by: Chista.4750

Chista.4750

I’m actually glad about this, if true. I haven’t seen a red post confirming what was essentially a translation from a chinese patch note. Unless I missed it over dinner.

I have completed world completion old style 3, almost 4 (just missing a few blue borderlands things) times. I don’t need anything back and I think it will actually increase the quality of WvW experiences, though I barely play it. There will be less roamers, making a full map essentially more effective when people aren’t just trying to get that dreaded map completion.

I don’t mind doing WvW for my legendary, it’s 500 badges if you exclude map completion (I hope it’ll stay the same amount) and when spent with a group, not all that unbearable. The map completion however makes me feel like I am playing a horror game; I’m in constant terror when I’m traversing a borderland on my own. I don’t enjoy the feeling.

If anything the lack of prior “getting ganked all the time though I just wanna complete my map” experience might just make it seem less daunting. Meaning that potentially, with other advertisement for it also in place, more people will be drawn to WvW, having missed out on this ugly bit of it.

My sole problem with PvP of any kind, in any game, is always the situation where you can’t do anything, the 5v1s or the ambushes by people specifically out to hurt the experience of others, the trash talk about how badly you suck after you just tried to run away, uninterested in the battle at hand because you know you are inferior, in knowledge or power. It’s the most off-putting thing possible to me. I found it doesn’t happen as often in sPvP and can bear it, heck I get my dailies that way -This is from someone who loathes PvP of any kind in any other game-. In WvW I found it occurs constantly and therefore avoid it when I can, bar the cases where I need badges or world completion. Guess when I’m actually happiest to be there? When I’m gathering badges, with a group.

Removal of WvW zones from map completion would mean that the most daunting, the least appealing, part of WvW is no longer something you basically -must- do to achieve some of the most obvious goals in this game. Sure, the people that basically band together to hunt for these solos specifically get shot in the foot, but arguably, they too are just doing things that may not be entirely beneficial to their world in the end.

Posted by: Kaos.9162

Kaos.9162

It’s possible to get the gift of battle without doing any WvW now. You literally don’t have to leave your spawn zone with this change.

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

Southsun, Drytop, and Silverwastes doesn’t count either. Nor does all the areas of the “world” that we don’t even have access to. * shrugs * It is what it is.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

Posted by: Grok.9725

Grok.9725

When 95% of the achievement could be completed in PVE, it always felt like a bit of a bait and switch to force players to WvW to achieve the final 5%. Is there any other achievement out there that so heavily favors one game mode then suddenly switches for the final 5% for completion? It just seemed like an odd choice from the beginning and I think they’ve made the right decision to fix it.

People who are interested in WvW will try WvW. Forcing people to WvW may certainly convert a few players, but it likely causes more frustration than anything. Is the trade off worth it? I doubt it.

Smart move ANet!

Posted by: Subutex.2416

Subutex.2416

I’m actually glad about this, if true. I haven’t seen a red post confirming what was essentially a translation from a chinese patch note. Unless I missed it over dinner.

Check the link OP provided.

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

I’m somewhat confused by the complaining about the fact that that there’s no longer anything “forcing” players to do WvW if they want legendaries. I mean, granted, I’ve never actually crafted a legendary so maybe I’m wrong, but doesn’t this still exist?

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Gift_of_Battle

Which, from the description on wiki, is a key component of a Legendary acquired only through playing enough WvW to get the badges and rank to buy it?

Which, if correct, still means every player who wants a legendary needs to participate in WvW. The only difference being that they actually have to meaningfully contribute to it, rather than running around the map doing nothing to actually help their side and praying that an opposing player doesn’t show up and kill them while they try to gather dots on the map for completion.

I mean, I don’t WvW so maybe I’m just not understanding everything, but it seems to me that if I was a WvW’er, getting rid of all the people who don’t want to be there and are just running around trying to grab map completion would be a good thing. And the game still forces people to enter and play WvW for their legendary anyway, but actually play it, so…

Khisanth.2948

I’m actually glad about this, if true. I haven’t seen a red post confirming what was essentially a translation from a chinese patch note.

Look more carefully at the URL in the first post.

Khisanth.2948

kicks the forum in the bugs