WvW no longer required for world completion

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

I’m somewhat confused by the complaining about the fact that that there’s no longer anything “forcing” players to do WvW if they want legendaries. I mean, granted, I’ve never actually crafted a legendary so maybe I’m wrong, but doesn’t this still exist?

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Gift_of_Battle

You get badges of honor from AP chests. You don’t ever have to step into wvw to get badges; you just have to go in there to BUY the gift with said badges. And as others also pointed out below, you can buy wvw rank, basically.

(edited by RoseofGilead.8907)

Posted by: Murksler.5261

Murksler.5261

I’m somewhat confused by the complaining about the fact that that there’s no longer anything “forcing” players to do WvW if they want legendaries. I mean, granted, I’ve never actually crafted a legendary so maybe I’m wrong, but doesn’t this still exist?

Which, from the description on wiki, is a key component of a Legendary acquired only through playing enough WvW to get the badges and rank to buy it?

Which, if correct, still means every player who wants a legendary needs to participate in WvW. The only difference being that they actually have to meaningfully contribute to it, rather than running around the map doing nothing to actually help their side and praying that an opposing player doesn’t show up and kill them while they try to gather dots on the map for completion.

I mean, I don’t WvW so maybe I’m just not understanding everything, but it seems to me that if I was a WvW’er, getting rid of all the people who don’t want to be there and are just running around trying to grab map completion would be a good thing. And the game still forces people to enter and play WvW for their legendary anyway, but actually play it, so…

You can just buy WvW ranks with laurels and you got plenty of Badges from the AP Chests.
So no more WvW requiered to be a “master”.

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Why Anet? What’s the point of it being called WORLD completion, if they don’t even have to explore the entire world of the game anymore?

1. Don’t have to explore Heart of the Mists or PvP maps (the latter have waypoints), dungeons, the new maps, the temp-and-returning maps (e.g., Crown Pavilion and Labyrinthine Cliffs), or Edge of the Mists.
  2. WvW isn’t part of the world in lore, so why should it be in the mechanics?

Honestly, I’m disappointed.

Not in the removal of WvW for world completion – that I don’t mind either way – but in the lack of addition in Southsun Cove, Dry Top, and Silverwastes to world completion. They should be added – to make up for what is lost in WvW. And add some vistas and skill challenges to Southsun while you’re at it.

Wouldn’t mind dungeon PoI being added too (waypoints don’t work as well because they come and go based on path, but it should still be possible… and will force people to do story mode! mwuahahaha!), but I do know of 3 PoI that are buggy so perhaps it’s a good thing they’re not changed.

I would also love for Heart of the Mists to get a map completion on par to Chantry of the Mists – just xp and a transmutation charge. And I do hope that WvW maps are keeping their map completion.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Posted by: Kaos.9162

Kaos.9162

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Taste_of_Liquid_World_Experience

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Large_Achievement_Chest

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Heavy_Achievement_Chest

Like I said earlier, you no longer have to do any WvW at all.

Posted by: Chista.4750

Chista.4750

Look more carefully at the URL in the first post.

Check the link OP provided.

Ah thanks. I swear I had my glasses on but the blonde won out shamed

Posted by: Softspoken.2410

Softspoken.2410

When 95% of the achievement could be completed in PVE, it always felt like a bit of a bait and switch to force players to WvW to achieve the final 5%. Is there any other achievement out there that so heavily favors one game mode then suddenly switches for the final 5% for completion? It just seemed like an odd choice from the beginning and I think they’ve made the right decision to fix it.

As soon as you said this, what sprang to mind was Personal Story. It can be played solo for most of the game, but the final mission requires a 5 man party for a story mode dungeon. And a lot of players hated it.

I mean, that shift from solo small instances to a full dungeon run was not the only reason the final mission of the personal story was poorly received, but it was a pretty big one.

Mixing insults with your post is like pooping in a salad.
It’s pretty obvious, and nobody’s impressed.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Which, from the description on wiki, is a key component of a Legendary acquired only through playing enough WvW to get the badges and rank to buy it?

Which, if correct, still means every player who wants a legendary needs to participate in WvW. The only difference being that they actually have to meaningfully contribute to it, rather than running around the map doing nothing to actually help their side and praying that an opposing player doesn’t show up and kill them while they try to gather dots on the map for completion.

I mean, I don’t WvW so maybe I’m just not understanding everything, but it seems to me that if I was a WvW’er, getting rid of all the people who don’t want to be there and are just running around trying to grab map completion would be a good thing. And the game still forces people to enter and play WvW for their legendary anyway, but actually play it, so…

Gift of Battle doesn’t require any participation in WvW.

Badges of Honor come in the AP chests.

You can buy vials of liquid WXP for badges of honor and laurels.

And removal of the map completers is both good and bad.

Good because it is one less person on the map that’s not going to help out, especially during times that queues are likely to happen.

Bad because sometimes those map completers do help out and discover that WvW isn’t anywhere near as bad as they thought it would be and turn into WvW players. Some probably even make the switch to being mostly exclusively WvW players.

Posted by: Subutex.2416

Subutex.2416

Waiting for weekly rotations and simply going after POI’s, Vistas and SP’s when available is not quite doing WvW either. Running over some unexpecting player is not quite a fight.

Posted by: Tsikaboom.6371

Tsikaboom.6371

When is “next release”? Patch or HoT expansion?

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

When is “next release”? Patch or HoT expansion?

If the leaked Chinese patch notes are to be believed (and with this along with the other confirmed changes I think its likely) it’ll happen along with the Stability / Camera patch. Whenever that goes live, we still don’t really have any word as to when that’ll be besides it wasn’t ready on Tuesday when it was originally going to happen and still isn’t.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

When 95% of the achievement could be completed in PVE, it always felt like a bit of a bait and switch to force players to WvW to achieve the final 5%. Is there any other achievement out there that so heavily favors one game mode then suddenly switches for the final 5% for completion? It just seemed like an odd choice from the beginning and I think they’ve made the right decision to fix it.

As soon as you said this, what sprang to mind was Personal Story. It can be played solo for most of the game, but the final mission requires a 5 man party for a story mode dungeon. And a lot of players hated it.

I mean, that shift from solo small instances to a full dungeon run was not the only reason the final mission of the personal story was poorly received, but it was a pretty big one.

To be fair there are other reasons to hate that final instance other than the 5 person party(should be doable with 2, I don’t remember any mechanic in there that requires 5 people).

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

All I can say is that I hope (though not holding my breath) that they add the maps in PvE that don’t currently count. I don’t think they will though, and that is frankly Bull kittycats (didn’t want the filter to change it so did it myself).

Currently the following don’t count, but should since they are perfectly integrated pieces of PvE content:
- Southsun Cove
- Dry Top
- Silverwastes
- Claw island (I think)

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Posted by: Orion Templar.4589

Orion Templar.4589

Even though I had world completion already on multiple characters, I welcome this change.

Also the topic of WvW being part of world completion was probably one of the most commonly brought up discussions (since forum search doesn’t work well) – seems like there was a new thread about this nearly every week or so. Now we won’t have to see those anymore!

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

I can see a few motives for the change as the game moves forward. Dragging players to WvW wasn’t terribly productive, even though it has led to an above-zero capture rate on participation. (None for me, thanks. I don’t enjoy severely one-sided match-ups that last for weeks on end…)

It wasn’t good for WvW to have reluctant or hostile players clogging up spaces. It wasn’t good for the PvE-oriented crowd, and it didn’t help WvW players.

With the coming expansion, that’s another map that adds to the rotation. This opens the possibility of a borderland or main map not available at all. If it wasn’t fun waiting weeks for your color to come up, waiting a year for the exact map and color rotation would cause tableflipragequits.

With the new daily structure, the incentive to go to WvW is much gentler, rather than a “no dessert unless you finish your WvWegetables,” which could mean a lot less resentment.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Deadcell.9052

Deadcell.9052

I am kinda torn on this, part of me is happy for the PvE crowd now that they do not have to play the content that makes them uncomfortable or they do not enjoy doing anymore for their Legendaries. The other part of me being primarily a WvW/Spvp player has me raging in jealousy that if I ever decided to go for a Legendary I am practically forced to abandon my preferred play modes and have to do all the content I do not enjoy doing. Feels a bit unfair, but whatever’s, I guess Gratz! on the big win PvE peeps!

Posted by: Softspoken.2410

Softspoken.2410

With the new daily structure, the incentive to go to WvW is much gentler, rather than a “no dessert unless you finish your WvWegetables,” which could mean a lot less resentment.

I could be wrong about this, but it also seems that WvW dailies encourage people to accomplish generally useful WvW goals. By comparison, world completion in WvW maps only required people to run to points of interest and get the hell out before the tower flipped again and they were killed by another server. And that behaviour doesn’t seem especially helpful, honestly.

Mixing insults with your post is like pooping in a salad.
It’s pretty obvious, and nobody’s impressed.

Rauderi.8706

I could be wrong about this, but it also seems that WvW dailies encourage people to accomplish generally useful WvW goals. By comparison, world completion in WvW maps only required people to run to points of interest and get the hell out before the tower flipped again and they were killed by another server. And that behaviour doesn’t seem especially helpful, honestly.

That specific facet had escaped my notice. Thanks for bringing that up, too.

Many alts; handle it!
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: lunacrous.6751

lunacrous.6751

Yes WvWvW should get something that is solely theirs.
Mainly due to my belief that they sometimes get treated like the unloved step child chained to the radiator.

Sometimes?

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

Yes WvWvW should get something that is solely theirs.
Mainly due to my belief that they sometimes get treated like the unloved step child chained to the radiator.

Sometimes?

You guys did get a pretty pretty Dolyak statue thing one time.
There…see, Daddy ANetbucks does care Annie.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

Posted by: Wetpaw.3487

Wetpaw.3487

Suggestion Anet: Make some really nice looking WvW map completion exclusive armor/weapon skin awards, and remove dungeon gifts from crafting legends!

JQ Druid

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

Quite unexpected.

Not sure how I feel about this change but getting upset about it seems a wasted emotion.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Posted by: Gasaraki.5967

Gasaraki.5967

Speaking of map completion, it would be really nice if they added the area completion info on the world map in the new areas like they have in the original content.

Posted by: rhapsody.3615

rhapsody.3615

Suggestion Anet: Make some really nice looking WvW map completion exclusive armor/weapon skin awards, and remove dungeon gifts from crafting legends!

Me and my 8/10 characters with wvw map completion will take it!

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

That’s good news actually.
If wvw map completion hadn’t been around when I crafted my legendary:
I wouldn’t have set a foot into wvw
I wouldn’t have wasted my gold on upgrades
I wouldn’t have paid 3600 gems on transfers
I wouldn’t have met 90% of the guys on my FL
I would’ve quit by now.

Posted by: gavyne.6847

gavyne.6847

This is win/win for players of both sides. For PvE players, obviously WvW is where they dread going to because it’s not what they enjoy. For WvW players, often we can’t get into a BL (usually home BL) because the map is filled with PvE players doing map completion. The queue can get ridiculous sometimes, often a guild can’t respond to garrison attacks properly because of this. This change will get PvE players out so more WvW players can enjoy the content they want to play.

It’s win/win, a good change. Obviously as a WvW player I’d rather they take PvE requirement out for me so I can enjoy WvW more and not get dragged into PvE. But I’ll take this for now, and keep hoping they’ll do more for WvW.

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

Not sure how I feel about this change but getting upset about it seems a wasted emotion.

Same here.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

Posted by: lighter.2708

lighter.2708

So i guess instead of releasing the patch, they will do this instead
because the patch is not coming any time soon

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I’ve gotten 100% 8 times already. All I can say is, “Thank you ANet!” Now I don’t have to do the annoying WvW part for my Revenant.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

Great news. Playing WvW for fun is one thing, playing it for map completion was a nightmare. I’ll finally have a stronger incentive to explore the world with my alt characters, knowing they won’t have to go through the dreaded WvW nightmare.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

While I can see how this benefits many many people.. I have one reservation: New players now have absolutely no reason to enter WvW.

It’s far better to offer soft incentives than hard requirements. Look at sPvP reward tracks – they are very good at bringing people to the Mists, even if you can get most of the things from those tracks elsewhere. There’s also dailies (though dailies are a bit too good in suggesting doing them outside of PvE).

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Mea.5491

Mea.5491

Sooo, it took me 2 months to finish the WvW maps because we were stuck as green for weeks and now they are removing them… Typical bad luck, haha! XD Good change, though, I’m not even mad…

Posted by: DarkWasp.7291

DarkWasp.7291

This is a very good change:

• Exploration was 90%+ PvE, but the WvW side of it could take longer than all of the rest combined.
  • Exploration in PvE was a different type of content than exploration in WvW.
  • There are people like me who enjoy WvW/PvP MUCH LESS when stressing over exclusive PvE goals while doing them. All of the fun times I had in WvW happened in the absence of goals.
  • The Gift of Battle is still required and includes content that rewards players for playing WvW in general and does not require specific goals that your server may not accomplish.
  • There are people like me who never feel drawn to WvW (though I do like sPvP). The previous exploration requirement did not change that attitude.
  • Having to set foot in every fort wasn’t exactly the best representation of WvW.
  • Map exploration is NOT solely a legendary goal. A lot of people just want to say they explored the PvE map. Might as well give them a star for that.
  • Anyone saying the above are whiners, carebears or scrubs are a big part of the reason why they didn’t want to WvW/PvP in the first place.
^ Uses Guild Wars 2 character screenshots for desktop wallpapers.

Rauderi.8706

There’s also dailies (though dailies are a bit too good in suggesting doing them outside of PvE).

Or, perhaps, the PvE dailies are so bad they encourage PvP/WvW. Working as intended! :P

Many alts; handle it!

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

“..at the Next release” Whats the next release?
Do they mean the expansion HoT or the next following patch?

Cheers

It was suppose to have been this Tuesday if the now pulled China patch notes were any indication. It’s possible it was held up because they wanted to break the news to us first rather a game crippling bug in the patch. We’ll see if it’s out next Tuesday.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Halvorn.9831

Halvorn.9831

This is win/win for players of both sides. For PvE players, obviously WvW is where they dread going to because it’s not what they enjoy. For WvW players, often we can’t get into a BL (usually home BL) because the map is filled with PvE players doing map completion. The queue can get ridiculous sometimes, often a guild can’t respond to garrison attacks properly because of this. This change will get PvE players out so more WvW players can enjoy the content they want to play.

It’s win/win, a good change. Obviously as a WvW player I’d rather they take PvE requirement out for me so I can enjoy WvW more and not get dragged into PvE. But I’ll take this for now, and keep hoping they’ll do more for WvW.

Now it’s about time ANet adds the PvP reward tracks to WvW as well (can be Wxp-bound), so WvW players can get their dungeon tokens also without leaving their preferred game mode.

Posted by: thehipone.6812

thehipone.6812

Good riddance to this requirement. I 100%’ed 4 characters and WvW mapping was just not fun. Doing essentially the same borderland map, viewing the same vistas, etc. three times on each character was awful.

Posted by: Mea.5491

Mea.5491

• Map exploration is NOT solely a legendary goal. A lot of people just want to say they explored the PvE map. Might as well give them a star for that.

THIS!!! I have 0 interest in Legendaries, I want the map completion for fun.

Posted by: DarkWasp.7291

DarkWasp.7291

It’s far better to offer soft incentives than hard requirements. Look at sPvP reward tracks – they are very good at bringing people to the Mists, even if you can get most of the things from those tracks elsewhere.

^ This is SO true.

I’m enjoying sPvP because I’m using it to help complete my dungeon collections. Unlike WvW exploration, there’s no nagging stress when my allies start failing me, because I can still obtain dungeon collections through doing the dungeons themselves.

Previously when sPvP was “required” to be competitive in daily AP earnings, the experience wasn’t quite so pleasant. The same could be said for the Dragon Ball Arena and the Wintersday Jumping Puzzle.

^ Uses Guild Wars 2 character screenshots for desktop wallpapers.

Rauderi.8706

Now it’s about time ANet adds the PvP reward tracks to WvW as well (can be Wxp-bound), so WvW players can get their dungeon tokens also without leaving their preferred game mode.

Can I be weird and say this might get me into WvW? Cap a tower, gain dungeon tokens? Yes please?

Many alts; handle it!

Posted by: Shademehr.1397

Shademehr.1397

I’m fine with this if Anet also removes the Power of the Mists bonuses for everyone who doesn’t participate in WvW.
(Maximum examples given)
+20% chance of a critical crafting success
+10% Defense against monsters
+10% Endurance regeneration
+20% Chance of additional mining/harvesting/logging node uses
+10% Healing Effectiveness
+10% Maximum health
+10% Bonus coin per kill
+10% Experience per kill

I so no reason at this point that the WvW players should be supporting the PvE’ers if the PvE players can’t be bothered to support the WvW’ers who earn these bonuses for them with the occasional foray into WvW.

Granted, some of you many not think these bonuses are worthwhile and I’ve provided the maximum examples (some servers earn lower rewards based on their score), but that’s how I feel.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Something like that might be a good idea, actually. Not for EotM though, there’s too much farming in there already.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

Can I be weird and say this might get me into WvW? Cap a tower, gain dungeon tokens? Yes please?

It would be an interesting development.
Though only for WvWvW sans EOTM, that way the champ train won’t benefit from their Whooo Whooo chugga chugga.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

If they put dungeon tokens into WvW I would give some real thought into doing WvW. I’m doing PvP for that very reason.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Shademehr.1397

Shademehr.1397

Something like that might be a good idea, actually. Not for EotM though, there’s too much farming in there already.

Lots of us have been hoping for this for a while. I’d still love to see it. I can’t stand dungeons but I love me some WvW!

Posted by: Vrita.7846

Vrita.7846

My problem with WvW ever being a part of the world completion to begin with was because it acted like an unnecessary timegate to crafting your legendary. You had to hope that the next reset would rotate to the color you need to access structures that your server never bothered/wasn’t able to capture.

For little over a month now, my server has been bouncing between green and red rotation. All I need is the PoI and 2 vistas from blue garrison and I will be done. I will be glad I won’t have worry about it after the update is released, it’s tedious enough doing map completion in the PvE maps.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

I have no issue either way having done it 3 times, but I can see why it would make sense to make the change.

I’d have liked to see at least Southson added though, just to keep it relevant to the game beyond the Karka Queen. It’s such a beautiful zone, it just needs a bit more love.

Posted by: Subutex.2416

Subutex.2416

Other changes I think should come from this: Remove BoH rewards from sources that are not WvW (with an early warning, of course), so that WvW is still part of the Legendary process.
Give some real good incentive so players want to try WvW instead of having to.

Posted by: TottWriter.8591

TottWriter.8591

I’m okay with the change, personally. At least for world completion, getting all the WvW maps was a pain.

But I would really like there to be an acknowledgement for players who do have completion there. With the new WvW map coming soon, will there be a Mists Exploration title? I mean, it doesn’t have to give a big chunk of points, or a flashy gift. But just having something, some kind of box to say “Yeah, you did that” would be nice.

To buy character slots or not to buy character slots. That is the test of my restraint.

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

I liked the challenge of it…obviously I have 13 characters with full map completion and 1 more just needing green BL/green EB.

But Oh well. No rewards for completing the map means no reason for me to go there anymore unless I just feel like zerg-training.

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

The forum bug strikes again.