HoT Price Feedback + Base game included [merged]

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: heydurian.6459

heydurian.6459

Yes, however many focus on why anet do not add 1 slot char for veteran.
if you want nc solve this issue, we should buy hots later to tell them it is not work

Posted by: Scoundrel.2139

Scoundrel.2139

After thinking about the pre-purchase price a few days, I really have only one objection:

Those of us who have regularly purchased gems since release are treated the same as those who only convert gold to gems and never actually purchased gems.

I understand the promotional discount to new players as a temporary thing and I understand the steep price (assuming that price buys two more years of continuous investment by Arenanet).

I purchase gems with real money to support maintenance and development and am disappointed at receiving the same offer as players who do not support the game financially.

I can’t really buy into this argument, pardon the pun. I wouldn’t go to my local {insert shop with membership} and say “I bought stuff last week. I got what I bought and I like it. But I want to now retro-actively use that money spent as credit toward a future discount”.

I may have missed your point, and if I have I apologise, but I think I got it.

You clearly do not realize this actually does work like this in real life. Sellers do give discounts to repeat and volume purchase customers.

Yes, but that’s totally discretionary. You were happy with the value of your prior purchase.

Veni, Vidi, Victa.
Quidquid Latine Dictum Sit, Altum Videtur

Posted by: mrstealth.6701

mrstealth.6701

After thinking about the pre-purchase price a few days, I really have only one objection:

Those of us who have regularly purchased gems since release are treated the same as those who only convert gold to gems and never actually purchased gems.

I understand the promotional discount to new players as a temporary thing and I understand the steep price (assuming that price buys two more years of continuous investment by Arenanet).

I purchase gems with real money to support maintenance and development and am disappointed at receiving the same offer as players who do not support the game financially.

Honest question here:

Did you get what you paid for when you bought gems?

Don’t be a fool. Arenanet’s only income is from real money. Various virtual thingies offered on the BLTP for gems are enticements and rewards for spending gems. Players who grind gold are privileged to be able to exchange gold for gems but game gold pays no one’s salary.

Grow up. If gamers treat developers as unpaid volunteers, they will shut it down and leave to find work that pays.

Players who think they are entitled to perpetual improvements, expansions, balances, etc. without continued real costs are not customers Arenanet wants but continues to cater to.

By the way, if more players purchased gems with real money, maybe the HoT release price would have been lower.

The gem exchange rate is based on supply and demand of gems. Players buying gems with gold is the source of that demand, and causes the value of gems to increase. When the value of gems increase, there is more incentive for players to buy gems with cash for the purpose of selling them for ingame gold.

Buying gems with gold might not be directly putting money in Anet’s pocket, but it is doing so indirectly with its effect on the gem exchange rates. Every gem you buy with gold came from someone else’s cash purchase.

Footsteps Of War [FoW] | Yak’s Bend
Seer Of The Divine | Sarina Starlight | Tireasa | Caedyra

(edited by mrstealth.6701)

Posted by: Jitsuryoku.9038

Jitsuryoku.9038

Depends on how you count it. I’ve got 1500 ish hours from core game (which definitely has the content if it kept me playing that long) and I’ve bought gems for myself and a friend, so the price/hour would definitely be much higher than yours , but this expansion looks like a small one content-wise: 20 hours tops and probably 12 on the average to do a full completion (at least based on currently available info).
I just want to play the new character and the old ones with new specs.

I’m not concerned with the price as much (although it still is a concern) as the fact it comes with “free” core game, because, long story short, that simply means I’m paying for new players’ core game.

As for the dragons and lore I’m not into it, so I can’t comment. I like dragons, but I’ve seen a few that, I think, are presented in a stale way (sort of like mindless puppets) so I’m not expecting good dragons from HoT.

Posted by: Altapir.2571

Altapir.2571

Honest question here:

Don’t be a fool. Arenanet’s only income is from real money. Various virtual thingies offered on the BLTP for gems are enticements and rewards for spending gems. Players who grind gold are privileged to be able to exchange gold for gems but game gold pays no one’s salary.

Grow up. If gamers treat developers as unpaid volunteers, they will shut it down and leave to find work that pays.

Players who think they are entitled to perpetual improvements, expansions, balances, etc. without continued real costs are not customers Arenanet wants but continues to cater to.

By the way, if more players purchased gems with real money, maybe the HoT release price would have been lower.

That will be valid… If GW2 wasn’t one of the best “virtual currency” sellers every year, surpassing even League of Legends…

The gemstore DO pay Anet expenses and salaries…

Posted by: TurtleofPower.5641

TurtleofPower.5641

I’ve gotten over 4,300 hours of fun out of it.

Do you honestly think that’s the hours everyone put into the game? If it was, there would be no complaints. But it simply isn’t that way for most people. Most I get out of GW2 the last few years is occasionally checking an update for a day, then logging out again. I’m waiting for a real expansion, like they did with the continent sized royal servings in GW1.

I won’t pay $50 for something that’s no content, and mostly a fee to cover you grinders.

Posted by: Ankushp.7245

Ankushp.7245

The pricing should be done the way Final Fantasy is doing it for their expansion (big one that too)…….now don’t say that that is subscription based etc etc……there are enough people who throw money at gems here to cover much of that…..too many people who even want the quaggan mail carriers x.x!!

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Honest question here:

I asked a simple question.

If the answer was yes, you got what you paid for, then you are entitled to nothing else.

If the answer was no you should take the matter up with support.

In either case, if product X (gems in this case) is advertised for (lets say) $10, and you pay that $10, you are entitled to receive product X. And thats it. Coming back afterward to say the equivalent to, “hey I got what I paid for, everything that was advertised as included for the price I chose to pay, but now, a year or three later, I want more,” is off base.

If Anet approached players now and said, “I know that we sold you gems at a certain price last year but we now want more for those same gems so pay up again,” pople would go nuts.

Ultimately if you got what you paid for, used it, and now, potentially years later, are complaining about it, perhaps I am not the onewho needs to stop being foolish and grow up.

(edited by Ashen.2907)

Posted by: Loyheta.3754

Loyheta.3754

I don’t come on here often.

Thanks on behalf of new players (not me, been here from the start) for throwing in the core game. It’ll make it really easy to get them in. That being said, where is our character slot for the standard expansion? Should have been a no brainer. Regarldess of if we are new or old you guys should have thrown that in there. Also, if we assume that a free slot should have been given for free, that means we aren’t getting a discount for the ultimate edition’s gems. I’ve played many mmos and pre-ordering expansions are usually a great time to offer good deals. You guys are losing a lot of faith from many of us. Please, add a free slot to the expansion. It should come with it whether purchased now or next year. It should not be a pre-order bonus. That being said, you guys need to work some more on your higher tier bonuses. Really anything I can think of could easily be replaced by gems. Get creative.

Posted by: Ephemiel.5694

Ephemiel.5694

I’m getting so tired of seeing uninformed drones throwing out “you’re entitled, you’re cheap, you’re this and that”. Why is it so hard for you people to understand how badly Anet is handling this? Why is it so hard to open your eyes for at least 2 seconds and understand why are so many players, or customers if you want, are upset about this?

There actually ARE a ton of people who seem to be leaving in droves, others stay playing with the core game but will not buy HoT. Do all of you not think that Anet must’ve kittened up here? It’s all “entitlement” for you?

“Would you kindly?”

Posted by: Ankushp.7245

Ankushp.7245

Discount the expansion and just introduce a new Quaggan mini in a bikini or something for 1000 gems……all your cost will be recovered!! Or just introduce Mounts kitten !!! I’ll fling money on that

Posted by: Cherokeewill.7504

Cherokeewill.7504

I don’t think I’ll be pre-purchasing either. I was on the fence due to money, $50 for an unknown, even with relatively good track record for entertaining me over the last 2+ years, is a bit steep though not completely unreasonable. But that’s not the primary reason.

When the announcement came, I immediately did the math after realizing there was no character slot in the base. I felt like I’m being forced to buy the most expensive edition since it is obviously the best deal. But I don’t need another title. I don’t want another mini. Glider skin? Finisher? With the character slot already included, do I really even need 4000 gems?

Then I saw that the base game is included in the HoT download. Where’s the equivalent exchange? Then I discover it’s not actually included if you already own GW2. What was the point of the sales on GW2 for the last six months? This forced me to take pause.

Veteran players ought to get something. It’s not something for nothing. It’s something for years of support; monetary and word of mouth. It’s something for keeping the game alive for so many years. It’s something for keeping Anet in business and providing them the resources necessary to create this XPac.

And finally, the FAQ edit just seems sleazy. I’m not making accusations or trying to cast aspersions, but to make an edit that completely contradicts the message for the last half year, with no mention of recourse or even understanding, has put my willingness to buy HoT on permanent pause.

Posted by: Angelica Dream.7103

Angelica Dream.7103

Lets say that Anet does care about the core users that got them this far. Lets say that Anet just got so involved that they just messed up and over looked the loyal base.

Maybe we can help them fix it (If they really want to fix it)

Suggestion:
Keep the tiers just like they are but have a $10 less pricing for people updating, and add a character slot.

For those that already bought. Send them a character slot and $10 in Gems with a THANKS for your support.

In my opinion that would turn around the board, and get instant sales.

(add your helpful plan below)

Jitsuryoku.9038

Why is it so hard for you people to understand how badly Anet is handling this?

Because, generally speaking, people who come here cannot read and only come here to write. (a.k.a the zerg effect)

Why is it so hard to open your eyes for at least 2 seconds and understand why are so many players, or customers if you want, are upset about this?

Again, because it takes a certain amount of skill and time to read, it’s easier to just write.

Seriously though, majority of people get an opinion the moment they see the header – black or white, nothing in-between. When the argument starts and people start defending a point it gets harder and harder to see what the opposite side is saying.

It’s just phenomenon of self-powered density growth in people.

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Relax people, if you find it too expensive just don’t buy it.

I find it expensive but not to a point where I would not buy it considering it’s pretty much the only game I play. I have high expectations however for 50$.

Jitsuryoku.9038

I find it expensive but not to a point where I would not buy it considering it’s pretty much the only game I play. I have high expectations however for 50$.

:0 Would you like this [Banana] for 20$?

Just like this [Banana] , for most of us it’s not that we cannot afford it. It’s just a horrible offer for the price.

Posted by: Loyheta.3754

Loyheta.3754

I don’t think I’ll be pre-purchasing either. I was on the fence due to money, $50 for an unknown, even with relatively good track record for entertaining me over the last 2+ years, is a bit steep though not completely unreasonable. But that’s not the primary reason.

When the announcement came, I immediately did the math after realizing there was no character slot in the base. I felt like I’m being forced to buy the most expensive edition since it is obviously the best deal. But I don’t need another title. I don’t want another mini. Glider skin? Finisher? With the character slot already included, do I really even need 4000 gems?

Then I saw that the base game is included in the HoT download. Where’s the equivalent exchange? Then I discover it’s not actually included if you already own GW2. What was the point of the sales on GW2 for the last six months? This forced me to take pause.

Veteran players ought to get something. It’s not something for nothing. It’s something for years of support; monetary and word of mouth. It’s something for keeping the game alive for so many years. It’s something for keeping Anet in business and providing them the resources necessary to create this XPac.

And finally, the FAQ edit just seems sleazy. I’m not making accusations or trying to cast aspersions, but to make an edit that completely contradicts the message for the last half year, with no mention of recourse or even understanding, has put my willingness to buy HoT on permanent pause.

Here’s the kicker. If you took out the free slot (since it shouldn’t be a bonus, it should be there period) You are paying 50$ for 4000 gems which is a savings of 0$. So the only bonuses you are getting are the cosmetics.

Posted by: xbutcherx.3861

xbutcherx.3861

Is not expensive nor cheap, I want more information about the content of the game before I can go blindly and spent my hard earned money on something I have no knowledge of.

Jitsuryoku.9038

…… Sick of money suckers !!!

Keep it real, everything you own and have ever seen is designed to suck money out of you. As long as price is justified, It’s fine.

By the way, does anyone want to buy this [Banana] for 20$?

Posted by: Scoundrel.2139

Scoundrel.2139

Keep it real, everything you own and have ever seen is designed to suck money out of you. As long as price is justified, It’s fine.

Does it come with a free skin?

Veni, Vidi, Victa.
Quidquid Latine Dictum Sit, Altum Videtur

Posted by: Ephemiel.5694

Ephemiel.5694

I got a better offer. I’ll sell YOU a [Banana], but I’ll give it a different color and sell it to you for $40. I’ll even give it a little [Banana Glider] so you can pretend it’s a plane plus the [Banana Holder]. I probably should give you the holder for free…..but nah.

“Would you kindly?”

Posted by: mordepth.7615

mordepth.7615

This is bad sales techniques. Far more money and sales would be made via the following solution (prices not included but would be cheaper).

1. Standard Expansion HoT WITHOUT core game.
2. Deluxe Expansion HoT WITHOUT core game.
3. Ultimate Expansion WITHOUT core game.
option 4 for new players.
4. Any of the above options WITH core game at 50% discount.
Simple to implement and means far higher sales than there will be at this rate. Happier Player Community too.

a tick box for the core game means emailing a voucher to get the core game at 50% reduction depending on the core game pack you wish for.

Posted by: Selene.9415

Selene.9415

And I did get a new slot… It’s called Beta. That might end up having, as yet, undisclosed value in the future…

The beta slot has no “undisclosed value.” It’s a beta slot. It will disappear as soon as the last beta has ended.

Posted by: Chant.6915

Chant.6915

Adding to thread that I am displeased with this.

I am a original pre-order player (5679 hours over past 1028 days) with a second account (2574 hours over past 950 days) that I had intended to only be a mule really… going to guess the played hours that overlap are less then 200 hours, as I did not have 2 computers capable of playing until recently.

My displeasure it that new players getting the core game + expansion for the price the existing player base is. This, in my mind, is a slap in the face on the loyalty of current player base.

I have not decided yet if I will purchase for either account. I DO know that if I do not, then I will be off to another game. I have enjoyed playing and freely admit, this is my first ‘free to play’ game. I realize that for subscription based games I’d have spent MUCH MUCH more money in this time played (been hooked on mmo’s since UO beta).

rubbing cheek thanks for listening.

Posted by: Merry.5413

Merry.5413

I will let you know that i am not the PC player that most are. Just a real simple person with simple thoughts, that does not imply that i am stupid. I have read a lot of these comments here and i see the anger and the offense that has been taken from the anet “proposed expansion” and i hear it in my friends voices when we talk. My husband and I have played GW2 for going on 3 years and have purchased the game for a friend.
We will not be purchasing the expansion with base game because we cannot afford to pay for something we already have. Especially since we completed the story content that was to open HoT content, if completed before January 19th. Maybe my understanding was off, or what ever, that is on me,, NP, good with it. We were looking forward to new maps and content, but A new map and things we really do not use.. nahhhhhhh. We will wait and see what happens. I will say i am kinda disappointed with the build up to what is now viewed as a total let down. 7 of us came from a different “free” game, and it may be that we will look for something different. As for my husband and I, we will let you know that this “upgrade” is not worth our hard earned money, nor worth the anger that anet has generated with veteran players. I hope that an suitable compromise can be attained that is a really decent balance for everyone.. no one likes to feel like something left behind the north end of a south bound mule.

Posted by: ReiCH.6273

ReiCH.6273

Ooh, Colin commented on another thread a few minutes ago, so here’s to hoping he’ll drop over here and make an official statement on things…

fingers crossed

In most games, Casuals are the majority. In GW2, Casuals are the game. Azumi.9572

Posted by: Volmarg.4310

Volmarg.4310

Still w8ing for official answer.

Attachments:

Posted by: starlinvf.1358

starlinvf.1358

This is weak argument when a large chunk of the game’s core mechanics are now bound to whats introduced behind the paywall. For a game whose core philosophies include Unified game play mechanics, organic team play dynamics, and cooperative community dynamics, it makes little sense to actively segregate them on a basic level.

So you can understand the cognitive dissonance created when someone says “just don’t buy/play the new content” when everything in the game’s design pushes you that direction. It the same dissonance when people say Ascended gear is completely optional, yet the game overwhelms you with the mats used solely for its production on a regular basis.

Posted by: starlinvf.1358

starlinvf.1358

This is weak argument when a large chunk of the game’s core mechanics are now bound to whats introduced behind the paywall. For a game whose core philosophies include Unified game play mechanics, organic team play dynamics, and cooperative community dynamics, it makes little sense to actively segregate them on a basic level.

So you can understand the cognitive dissonance created when someone says “just don’t buy/play the new content” when everything in the game’s design pushes you in that direction. It the same dissonance when people say Ascended gear is completely optional, yet the game overwhelms you with the mats used solely for its production on a regular basis.

Posted by: Arthier.9521

Arthier.9521

There are so many haters in Gw2 community, stop complaining, it would have cost the same without the core for free for new players. This community has to agree to the fact that we all win with this, we have our expansion and they have the entire game, which would increase the number of people who play it, so more money for Anet and better content in the future. I know this is difficult, but you will get over it, gokitten, Anet is doing alright, just buy it or dont if you dont want to, but dont claim more than they offer, you know where the door is. Anyway… get over this and stop complaining.

Posted by: sasukeboy.8492

sasukeboy.8492

Same as many responders I played this game from the release with a average of 5-6 hrs a day. How come that we the players who played so long, spending so much time on ur game, and even making advertisement (free) for ur game pay this redicules price. Telling friends how nice this game is and the intensity of playing wvw. U want me to pay for ur expansion, but u don’t give us the correct options. Like now many players complain that the expansion is to expensive cause u guys say it’s include the core game(what u give away for free) , but there is no compromises for the hardcore players. For me it’s not the price, I can easily buy it, but I will not buying it cause it’s not fair for me. I play only wvw at the moment, but those new maps give me not a good impression. But if I don’t buy the expansion I can’t get in wvw probably cause there are new maps and they need to be updated with the expansion. So he hardcore wvw players u need to buy the game otherwise no wvw for us anymore. So u guys push us to buy the expansion, but with no fairness and no extras. A new player buy the game with expansion pays 50$ and got 5 players slots, if u say he guys u have already the core game but u bought the expansion, u get 5 new slots aswell. That’s what I call it’s fair. Even if u say he guys we give u 3 slots I think that is still fair. But nothing and pay the jackpot price for it no way for me. I will wait till hot comes in stand alone version for 20€ or smth then u see me back in game.

[RiOT] The Civil Rebels
Elementalist

Posted by: Wolfeng.3784

Wolfeng.3784

There are so many haters in Gw2 community, stop complaining, it would have cost the same without the core for free for new players. This community has to agree to the fact that we all win with this, we have our expansion and they have the entire game, which would increase the number of people who play it, so more money for Anet and better content in the future. I know this is difficult, but you will get over it, gokitten, Anet is doing alright, just buy it or dont if you dont want to, but dont claim more than they offer, you know where the door is. Anyway… get over this and stop complaining.

Just because you’re happy to spend more than you should over something , or that you are ok with your money being less valuable than that of another customer, doesn’t mean we are the same.

I value my money and I will spend it once I see I’m being treated fairly.

Posted by: MMOGamer.6175

MMOGamer.6175

Haters?
Complaining?
Have you seen the earnings report for GW2?

Glad ArenaNet isn’t a car dealership.
You would have to rebuy your old car packaged with your new car.

mrstealth.6701

There are so many haters in Gw2 community, stop complaining, it would have cost the same without the core for free for new players.

Except that would not have cost the same. It’s a value bundle, and you can be sure that Anet’s financial wizards worked hard to calculate a price they could push this bundle at to absorb the cost of the so called “free” core game. It’s the same as every buy 2, get one free deals you see in stores.

And this “deal” is even better for Anet, because not only are they selling the core game bundled to new customers at a discount, but existing customers are paying for it and not even getting it. We’re expected to just hand Anet money that that is 100% profit for them, and get a slap in the face in return.

Posted by: kuittaa.7360

kuittaa.7360

Anet: hai gaisz, we want you to preorder a bag of stuff. We have three different deals!

Players: oh, wow?

Anet: yeah! It is so awesome. First bag of stuff costs 50!

Players: hmm sounds pricey, what’s in it?

Anet: stuff! It is awesome!

Players: ok, what about the other two bags?

Anet: well, second bag contains stuff and fluff. And it costs 1,5 times as much as first bag of stuff.

Players: … and the last one?

Anet: the last one, ok, that’s the most awesome. If contains stuff and FLUFF! With capitals! And it is very cheap, only twice the price of first bag, but the FLUFF is easily worth of all that extra.

Players: ok. But could you tell a bit more about the stuff in the bags?

Anet: well, for starters, we’re excited about the stuff and it will be awesome. But the biggest thing is that… You will get the core game for FREE!

Players: but we already have the core game, so surely we can give it to our friends so they can try out the game?

Anet: no, because the FREE core game is linked with stuff! It can’t be taken away because reasons. But the stuff is going to be awesome. And let’s not forget the fluff, or the FLUFF in most expensive bag of stuff.

Players: that sounds pretty … dumb.

Anet: but think about all the stuff! And also, you may or may not receive FREE feature updates! We can’t tell you anything really yet, but we’re very excited about it all.

Players: ok, but when do we get our bags of stuff?

Anet: we can’t tell you yet, other than when they are ready.

Players: will it be next month? This Fall? This year? Next year?

Anet: only thing we can say is that we will deliver all awesome bags of stuff once they are ready.

Posted by: Wolfeng.3784

Wolfeng.3784

@kuittaa.7360

You needed to add some shinies in the dialogue there. Awesome stuff.

MMOGamer.6175

There are so many haters in Gw2 community, stop complaining, it would have cost the same without the core for free for new players.

Except that would not have cost the same. It’s a value bundle, and you can be sure that Anet’s financial wizards worked hard to calculate a price they could push this bundle at to absorb the cost of the so called “free” core game. It’s the same as every buy 2, get one free deals you see in stores.

And this “deal” is even better for Anet, because not only are they selling the core game bundled to new customers at a discount, but existing customers are paying for it and not even getting it. We’re expected to just hand Anet money that that is 100% profit for them, and get a slap in the face in return.

This, mrstealth understands basic economics.

I will add also that not allowing current players to get a separate key for the base game in the HoT expansion is that Anet would lose sales as players would be selling those keys on the cheap, using them or giving them away for FREE.

Not like Anet FREE, but really FREE FREE.

That is my guess why Anet will not give separate keys, don’t expect them to admit it.

Posted by: dragonfighter.4098

dragonfighter.4098

TOTAL SLAP IN THE FACE TO LOYAL GUILD WARS COMMUNITY. BOYCOT HEART OF THORNS ITS A RIP OFF. if you look at what they are doing they think we all love the game so much that we will pay anything for expansion that really isn’t an expansion.. they give everything to new players. They kick their loyal community to the curb, $50 for hot and core when 99% of hot players already have core game. Hmmm are we stupid or what why is everything wrapped around new players? Dont loyal players deserve anything we made the game what it is by getting our friends to play and they got their friends. We throw cash at the trading post for gems for items that are over priced. we keep it alive when alot get bored and leave. if we didnt play they would be out of business. All Anet wants to do is count us all as new players so they get a bigger check from nc soft. Gee i feel cheated. At least in gw1 when you bought an expansion for $50 you got 2 toon slots, except eye of the north which was cheaper. they should just go pay to play at this point, then maybe they would respect their community like other games like final fantasy whom caters to their veteran players. all we want really is for them to drop the core game and give us 1 toon slot and alot of us would be happier. Then atleast we get something for $50. i worked to hard and long on my toons to start over. i dont want core game cause i ale\ready have it. if i dont buy hot game over gee what a choice we get. we mean nothing to Anet and they really dont respect their loyal players at all. they just want our cash. so a couple of new maps {3} and the ability to fly. wow not good enough. If you dont buy HOT no more living story nothing. you choose

mrstealth.6701

I will add also that not allowing current players to get a separate key for the base game in the HoT expansion is that Anet would lose sales as players would be selling those keys on the cheap, using them or giving them away for FREE.

Just letting us have that key would have prevented a lot of the mess. I know I’d feel a lot better about it.

It would even somewhat (not completely) make up for what they did to recent customers that bought GW2 after they announced HoT. The dishonesty in the FAQ and previous ownership requirements would still stand, but it does soften the slap to the face.

Posted by: ilMasa.2546

ilMasa.2546

Question:

Gw2core included in HoT to lower paywall for new players,but if a veteran has to buy an extra slot to play the new class…well isnt this a paywall for the Veteran? o.O

MMOGamer.6175

Just letting us have that key would have prevented a lot of the mess. I know I’d feel a lot better about it.

It would even somewhat (not completely) make up for what they did to recent customers that bought GW2 after they announced HoT. The dishonesty in the FAQ and previous ownership requirements would still stand, but it does soften the slap to the face.

At the office:
Billy McNoob: Hey MMOGamer I’ve been looking at GW2 and I know you play it, I’m not sure it’s the game for me. Should I sink $50 into this game?

MMOGamer: Oh Billy McNoob today is your lucky day! I have this extra key that came with my HoT expansion for the base game sitting at the house, I’ll bring it tomorrow for you.

Billy McNoob: Hey cool man, what you want for it?

MMOGamer: Nothing Billy McNoob it’s FREE.

mrstealth.6701

Question:

Gw2core included in HoT to lower paywall for new players,but if a veteran has to buy an extra slot to play the new class…well isnt this a paywall for the Veteran? o.O

Yep, and that is just another point that many of us are not happy about.

Anet would have been better off to just give us that slot, the free core game, or some other consolation for existing players. Instead, they chose to be greedy and rip off every existing customer, which is going to get them fewer sales. And fewer sales means fewer gemstore customers in the future.

Posted by: Kumion.7580

Kumion.7580

To clarify: $50 is the price of the expansion. We included the core game as a free bonus to make it easier for new players to get into it.

No, this is not true. If the core game was free, it would be available for download on the website right now. It isn’t. It isn’t free. They want you to buy it (again) with HoT. Ridiculous.

If the core game was a separate serial code from HoT, or if veterans could opt to buy HoT + a character slot/fluff item/ or gems, this would not be a problem. Rebuying the core game is a problem.

Posted by: shadow.6174

shadow.6174

Ooh, Colin commented on another thread a few minutes ago, so here’s to hoping he’ll drop over here and make an official statement on things...

*fingers crossed*

*says in Skritt voice*: "Where? Where? Wheeere?"

lol ok right. Could you post a link or something to that comment? I got curious here.

(edited by shadow.6174)

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

There is no core. Only Zuul!

I’ll just leave this here…

Attachments:

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

(edited by Mad Queen Malafide.7512)

Posted by: Iona.2897

Iona.2897

I would like to reach the 100 pages, that is why I am adding my views.
I personally don’t care about the core game for free. And I don’t really care about the price (I can’t even tell how much it is in pounds). I am pretty sure it won’t be worth it, but I have played GW since gw1, had all games (even the collector versions of Factions and Nightfall even though I was a student at the time) and I can afford it now that I work.

What I do care about:
- no date yet. I mean… seriously? Did you have to get some revenues for your second quarter or something that you had to start pre purchase without any date of release?
- no extra slot. Money is not an issue but I don’t want to buy gems on top of the xx£ I will spend for HoT. This feels wrong and this “hidden” cost is unacceptable.
- the FAQ modification. Sooo not classy, guys.

So mixed feelings for me. I would like to support the game. But if I buy it, you will keep on treating me like kitten in the future.
Thank you, you have made it into a lose/lose situation.

Posted by: StarSlinger.4356

StarSlinger.4356

Basically, ANet has adopted the TurboTax method of software upgrades:

Make your existing customers re-buy the entire software package in order to receive updates.

mrstealth.6701

Ooh, Colin commented on another thread a few minutes ago, so here’s to hoping he’ll drop over here and make an official statement on things…

fingers crossed

says in Skritt voice: “Where? Where? Wheeere?”

lol ok right. Could you post a link or something to that comment? I got curious here.

Here

It’s also one of the most recent posts in the Dev Tracker on the main forum page

Posted by: Zunnar.8503

Zunnar.8503

The price isn’t the thing that gets me. It’s the total lack of pre-purchase bonus. There’s no incentive for me as an existing customer to pay early. The list of bonuses is totally blank.

Did people who bought GW2 after it came out get the same bonus as a standard pre-purchase exactly? No!

There should be an incentive for pre-purchasing beyond “you get to help us QA the game.”

Posted by: Aries Of Ragnarok.1365

Aries Of Ragnarok.1365

Only thing I have a problem with this whole thing, is no character slot included with the basic expansion. That’s…very stupid. Just, straight up potato. Even in Guild Wars 1, all the expansions included character slots for however many professions came with it, which is awesome! I know Anet likes to milk us for money, but this is just…sad.