How do I melee in HoT?

How do I melee in HoT?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

Not a complaint thread. Just looking to l2p.

So I decide to get off my ranger/necro/dragonhunter/chronomancer/Revenant and play with my zerker warrior.

I can’t leave waypoint without dying. All mobs kill me at sight.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

How do I melee in HoT?

Posted by: FogLeg.9354

FogLeg.9354

Warrior has rifle. And longbow.

How do I melee in HoT?

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

If you cant handle it with zerker then don’t go zerker. I play Guardian Zerker and die alot with it, I can’t handle it so now I am going Cleric and everything is so easy.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

How do I melee in HoT?

Posted by: AWACS.6537

AWACS.6537

You have to watch out for big hits and CC. Don’t stand still either.

No.

How do I melee in HoT?

Posted by: Gulesave.5073

Gulesave.5073

When it comes to melee in HoT, you just can’t expect to use it all the time. Many mobs are either highly mobile or too dangerous up close. Also, the heavy AoE spreads will often force you to be mobile yourself.

The answer? Bring a ranged option and swap as needed. Use melee when you can, and don’t use it when you can’t. That’s the best advice I can give.

I should be writing.

How do I melee in HoT?

runeblade.7514

You have to watch out for big hits and CC. Don’t stand still either.

All mobs have big hits and CC and, there are many mobs that bunch up together. How do you watch out for every single hit?

How do I melee in HoT?

Posted by: adormtil.1605

adormtil.1605

Well its simple dodge then dodge some more then move then use 3 then move(from the yellow and red circles) and then dodge then move then use 3 then special, then dodge then move then 3 then dodge then move then 3 and special then again dodge then move if you use a greatsword.
If you use a rifle use just move and move and move and move and move and move while pressing 1.

How do I melee in HoT?

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

They are usually telegraphed.

Snipers wind up a shot and you can see them doing it, via an overhead symbol.

Some lay ground effects as the wind up to the big hit. These are spottable.

Mobs that charge or roll, have minute signs in their animation and only a short window for you to move. You just get used to learning the timings on these. Generally ranged is more efficient though since they are too mobile for consistent dps

Smokescales you just avoid their red circle

Also, many big damage attacks are tied to the breakbar. Getting players to break this down quickly will help avoid the damage

How do I melee in HoT?

runeblade.7514

Well its simple dodge then dodge some more then move then use 3 then move(from the yellow and red circles) and then dodge then move then use 3 then special, then dodge then move then 3 then dodge then move then 3 and special then again dodge then move if you use a greatsword.
If you use a rifle use just move and move and move and move and move and move while pressing 1.

Where can I buy a rune of infinite stamina?

How do I melee in HoT?

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

The word your looking for is endurance, but that aside you don’t need it. You’re a warrior. You have 2 dodges, the ability to actually just move around, greatsword 3 is an evade, and greatsword 5 is a good way to close distances. You basically should never get hit with the hard hitting attacks.

How do I melee in HoT?

Posted by: holodoc.5748

holodoc.5748

Switch from zerker armor to PVT. Most people will probably say it’s stupid but I tell you, just try it out. You will gain a huge amount of vitality and toughness but your primary attribute, power, will still remain pretty high. What you lose on precision and ferocity you’ll compensate by using maintenance oil (adds precision based on toughness and vitality which you’ll have plenty with PVT) and ruby orbs or some offensive runes like Scholar. Additionally use “For Great Justice”, Signet of Fury (adds to precision), Signet of Might (adds to power) and Signet of Rage (useful for swiftness and fury). Always trait for “Warrior’s sprint” and use a greatsword which will allow you to escape mobs which use immobilize and do huge damage with traits from the Strength line.

In any case just try it. PVT will greatly increase your survivability while still allowing you to trait for great damage. You can also consider Knight’s armor which works even greater with maintenance oil however PVT is actually a better choice imho for HoT soloing on warrior.

How do I melee in HoT?

Posted by: Eulolia.2467

Eulolia.2467

Pull 6 mobs, cast signet of fury, press f2, cast 100 blades, press f1, loot. Though you don’t even have to loot any more with the new mastery.

Subscribe for exciting guild wars 2 videos! https://www.youtube.com/user/eulololia/

How do I melee in HoT?

runeblade.7514

Pull 6 mobs, cast signet of fury, press f2, cast 100 blades, press f1, loot. Though you don’t even have to loot any more with the new mastery.

I tried that. It turns out that Rolling devils, Veteran Stonetail, Pocket raptors and some other mobs don’t like to stand still.

How do I melee in HoT?

Posted by: TheSwede.9512

TheSwede.9512

Different mobs require different tactics.

Pocket Raptors, Stonetails, Mushroom Chargers etc will always be moving and deal a lot of damage, but CC them once and they’re toast. For warriors, Hammer is a great Weapon to deal with them (Especially the Burst and #4). If you have Berserker, using Bloody Roar to taunt enemies on Berserk can be really useful to round up trash mobs.

Stonetails are just huge CC beasts and health sponges, generally harmless but annoying to have around. Ranged them.

Warrior – Wardancer | Guardian – Lorekeeper | Revenant – Vindicator |
Thief – Duelist | Ranger – Strider | Engineer – Technician |
Elementalist – Spellweaver | Necromancer – Warlock | Mesmer – Trickster |

How do I melee in HoT?

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

I just swing my sword. Then I swing it again. And again.
Then i get a carrot.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

How do I melee in HoT?

Posted by: Loosmaster.8263

Loosmaster.8263

It’s actually a Sigil and you can use a war horn for Vigor.

Tacktical Killers [TK]
We’re looking for players.
PM me here or ING.

How do I melee in HoT?

Posted by: Iris Ng.9845

Iris Ng.9845

1. Be prepared: Aside from Signet of Fury and Signet of Might, bring extra condi cleanse or stun break to anticipate an encounter. Outrage is a very cheap stun break with a lot of adrenaline gain.
2. Bring a second Defensive weapon set when you need a breathing room and swap out of your greatsword – bursting weapon set.
3. Strafe ranged attack, dodge killshot, block channeling – e.g. smokescale/stalker, max melee and kite slow targets – e.g. champion troll/spider, interrupt foes with no defiance bar, line-of-sight mobs…
4. Identify attack patterns and dangerous killshots.
5. Watch your HP…
6. Like 2. Use your weapons wisely. Mace MH is good against a single target like Bosses and it helps break defiance bar when you solo. Hammer is a good AoE CC. Shield is a better block against Stalker/Mushroom Bomber than Sword, Warhorn is good for kiting, Axe is good for fast max-melee attack…

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

- doranduck, 2016 on Lore in Raids

How do I melee in HoT?

Posted by: Crossaber.8934

Crossaber.8934

My berserker warrior use mostly zerker gear. i slotted the trait that gain health and toughness in stun break with 5 stun break with me. i also use lyssa rune so i can hit something with headbutt and convert 5 conditions to boon. use healing signet resistant wisely to against condition heavy foe. use shake if off and weapon swap to remove single condition.

Works wonderful, can usually escape heavy cc big damage and stay on toe deal real melee damage to boss. But don’t leave home without a ranged option as well.

How do I melee in HoT?

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

1) Be a high HP class like necro or warrior, or a high defenses class like Revenant/Engineer.

2) Make peace with the fact that elite/champ level and above many enemies you simply CANNOT melee.

3) If you are an elementalist or thief, bring your ranged weapon against vets/elites/champs/legendaries, you will likely be 1 shot in melee most of the time.

Low HP classes don’t melee very successfully against champs and above, or they have to equip soldiers/celestial sets to do so at the expense of DPS performance unlike necro/warrior.

How do I melee in HoT?

Posted by: Ven Zehn.6573

Ven Zehn.6573

I run zerk Guardian and Soldier’s war through HoT, full melee quite easily. (At least now, that I know what to expect from the mobs, first run through wasn’t quite as smooth lol)

For guard, I run meditations, Ham/GS, know which aoes can drop you and avoid em, strafe a lot, and drop spike dmg when you’re able to. Certain mobs are a lot tougher to melee, but doable still.

For war, I run Ham/Sword/Shield, similar strat as my guard, moving in when it isn’t too hot, and moving back or repositioning if they drop too many aoes.

Most annoying mobs are probably rolling devils for me just cuz they move so much.

But even so, I do still have 1 ranged weap that I switch to for certain situations, like particularly nasty bosses.

How do I melee in HoT?

Posted by: Sirbeaumerdier.3740

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

I do well with zerk by being mobile all the time.

How do I melee in HoT?

Posted by: Rezzet.3614

Rezzet.3614

normally i’d say dont play serk but i run support bunker and it does seem like HoT was designed almost completely anti melee even as a bunker i get melted instantly at times so theres really no incentive to not play serker

How do I melee in HoT?

Posted by: Gnat.9405

Gnat.9405

Be a Reaper

How do I melee in HoT?

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

Switch from zerker armor to PVT. Most people will probably say it’s stupid but I tell you, just try it out. You will gain a huge amount of vitality and toughness but your primary attribute, power, will still remain pretty high. What you lose on precision and ferocity you’ll compensate by using maintenance oil (adds precision based on toughness and vitality which you’ll have plenty with PVT) and ruby orbs or some offensive runes like Scholar. Additionally use “For Great Justice”, Signet of Fury (adds to precision), Signet of Might (adds to power) and Signet of Rage (useful for swiftness and fury). Always trait for “Warrior’s sprint” and use a greatsword which will allow you to escape mobs which use immobilize and do huge damage with traits from the Strength line.

In any case just try it. PVT will greatly increase your survivability while still allowing you to trait for great damage. You can also consider Knight’s armor which works even greater with maintenance oil however PVT is actually a better choice imho for HoT soloing on warrior.

That also literally makes you a worse player. It may make it more enjoyable in the shortrun, but next time you come up against a challenge, like in raids, you may very well fail because of the PVT decision.

How do I melee in HoT?

Posted by: BobbyT.7192

BobbyT.7192

Don’t yolo straight in and range some of them down first

How do I melee in HoT?

Posted by: thrag.9740

thrag.9740

Right, so for once open world pve requires a bit of warrior actually using its active defenses. My build is str/tactics/berserker, full berserker armor with str runes. I use gs + mace/shield. The gs has force + frailty, the mace has sigil of malice and the shield has sigil of paralyzation. The sigil of paralyzation is important. The sigil of malice is not. The only reason I have sigil of malice there is because I only have 1 ascended mace, so its the same mace I use for vuln stacking with a standard gs + axe/mace setup.

First off, for regular mobs. Start the encounter with mace 3 for a quick 1s stun. Then use shield 4 for a 2 second stun. Then use elite skill headbutt for a 3 second stun. Now, this also stuns you, but while stunned you can use f2 to engage berserker mode. I use the trait that causes f2 to taunt (1.5 seconds). Now use f1 (skull grinder) which is a 1 second daze and a BLIND (warrior doesn’t have too many of those lol). Swap weapons to gs, 100 blades it down with quickness. If the fight is still going use your standard warrior gs techniques.

Some things to keep in mind. When you are on gs, your defenses are gs3 (evade) and dodge. Assuming you take str (ofc your taking str) you have building momentum. Which means your f1 skills restore endurance. So, when in berserker mode you can build up and use a LOT of dodges. This requires you to actively watch the enemies, but it is very effective.

Once berserker mode ends, you can swap weapons if you think you need more active defenses. On mace/shield you have 2 blocks (mace 2 and shield 5). Additionally mace autoattack causes weakness (very good damage mitigation, I suppose sigil of malice does help a bit here). If need be, you can use skull cracker during these 9 seconds (even if you only have say 1 bar of adrenaline) to cause a quick little stun, without affecting the cooldown of skull grinder. Or pop signet of fury if your really in trouble and get a full 3 second stun. Either way, you should be able to survive 9 seconds, then its right back to the initial rotation, keeping the enemy stun locked etc.

So basically when in berserker mode: gs has a ton of dodges and evades, even a disengage (gs 5 untargeted), outside of berserker mode mace/shield has some stuns + blocks.

For bosses: there is some serious aoe coverage. If you think you can not stay engaged with melee then I recommend swapping to gs + rifle. Stay in melee range while you can, gs3 away and weapon swap as necessary. I also recommend swapping tactics to discipline if you think you will be swapping to range a lot so that you can bring fasthands+crackshot. But don’t do these unnecessarily as giving up tactics is a LARGE loss for the group. A lot of the aoe’s inflict conditions so brawlers recovery is a good choice here if you do take tactics. Again don’t do this unless you really need to. Plus spamming gunflame is just fun lol, and it is a 1/4 second daze meaning you still have a little bit of cc for helping with breakbars.

How do I melee in HoT?

Posted by: Lethalvriend.1723

Lethalvriend.1723

I’ve been playing as a Berserker in HoT with 100% berserker gear. In terms of weapons I most commonly use Axe/Mace + Mace/Shield. The reason I don’t take Greatsword is simply my personal preference. However, the offhand mace allows you to stack vulnerability easily and it gives you a stun with ok-ish damage. Because alot of enemies use skills that can be interrupted with stuns that offhand mace suddenly becomes alot more usefull vs old content where mobs aren’t using ‘nukes’ so to speak.

I use the Mace/Shield secondary set because it allows me to get invulnerability if Endure Pain is on cooldown and at the same time provides me with more stuns. I’ve got a PVT Mace for that set and a PVT shield. This way you will get some extra survivability when you swap your weapons. I also think it’s pretty vital to use something like Shake it off in your utilities as it has a short cooldown, is a stunbreaker and removes conditions without requiring any traits. It’s basicaly a multitool for your Warrior.

Some enemies (which you will have to identify yourself, as not everyone plays the same way), like for me Chak champions, will basically force you to either keep some distance constantly in between melee-ing or force you to swap to a Rifle or Longbow. These things are simply too dangerous when they throw around AOE etc. In Verdant Brink it might be wise to swap to Rifle for the Shadowleapers as they can stun and instantly kill you if you dont get away.

Finally, if you do go for Berserker you can take a trait which allows you to prevent death once while in Berserk mode and heal you for a few thousand HP instead (and kicking you out of the mode). It’s a great way to add some extra survivability. On top of all this, dodging is pretty much mandatory. If you would rather take things a bit easier then it’s best to just abandon zerk gear for the HoT zones and take something like PVT.

How do I melee in HoT?

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

Berserker build with pretty much 100% stability uptime and lots of CC to keep the veterans broken.

One – Piken Square

How do I melee in HoT?

Posted by: Solid Gold.9310

Solid Gold.9310

Play a Ranger, don’t get close.

Jumping puzzles, love them or hate them, I hate them. Thread killer.

How do I melee in HoT?

Posted by: Yelloweyedemon.2860

Yelloweyedemon.2860

Ranger-wise its easy actually. In the right build, you can maintain 22 to 25 might pretty much all the time for you and your pet. Maul hits for 14k even 18k with SotH. You also have #4 for block on GS and #2 and #3 for evades on Sword.

You have to learn the mobs special abilities though so you can avoid them.

How do I melee in HoT?

Posted by: Mizstik.1736

Mizstik.1736

I’d say it’s all about killing them first. My zerker air dagger ele does quite fine in defense events and such. Most mobs can’t even hit you properly if you just circle around them while swinging the dagger. Activate all the bursts before you jump into each group. You might be at 20% health after each fight but it’s ok. Wait for CDs and OOC regen before you jump into another.

Smokescales are bs though. Just run away for those.

I actually had a much harder time when I brought my PVT guard. It takes forever to kill anything while they out-dps my healing.

How do I melee in HoT?

Posted by: RedStar.4218

RedStar.4218

Some of the advice here is interesting. It’s basically “Don’t try to become a better player. Just range forever”.

If you want to melee, even more in berserker’s, you need to pay attention to the enemies and their attacks. Learn when to dodge and use your skill the most efficiently. I’m not even sure about using PVT as a crutch while learning because the "defense"of berserker’s is also to kill them before they can kill you. By using PVT you are going to drag on the fight.

How do I melee in HoT?

Posted by: adormtil.1605

adormtil.1605

Maybe its just me but I noticed that even very good players do not manage to survive every time in melee. I do not know why but for some reason it happens.

How do I melee in HoT?

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

honestly, Reaper, Tempest, DH (with traps) and Rev (for the most part) can literally walk through mobs melee no problem.

Especially Reaper and Tempest

How do I melee in HoT?

Posted by: The one to Rule.2593

The one to Rule.2593

As a rev/reaper/and DH. Never had a single issue.

How do I melee in HoT?

Posted by: Sarie.1630

Sarie.1630

And I thought it was going to be a thread about how most enemies in HoT keep moving around and don’t just stay still do you can just stand in front of them pressing 1.

Don’t stand still either.

I think this is the biggest lesson to learn. When I melee I tend to circle around foes constantly, dodge through them, and therefore try to keep them turning around to face me. That’s when they’re not leaping or rolling away like most of them seem to do constantly.

How do I melee in HoT?

Posted by: YaYa.5879

YaYa.5879

I didn’t read all the thread but here’s what i think:
—>Always have a melee set and a range weapon set
—> Meleeing a champion is unsafe
—> Going with a berzerker build (power/preccision/ferocity) in HOT is more than unsafe (i don’t know use the signet that gives toughness, or increse a little ur defensif stats)

How do I melee in HoT?

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Sounds like using melee in HoT requires players to do more with their builds than just max their damage. Working as intended, then.

How do I melee in HoT?

Posted by: LordOtto.2650

LordOtto.2650

I use Med Guard with Sword/Focus and Scepter/Torch. Full zerk everything. I rarely die. When you are against champs you brake their bars then use melee weapons—> bars up, go in midrange, learn to dodge.
In every map I had to see how are the mobs attacking/reacting, after that is easy to play/survive. ( I have +2 year exp in WvW and PvP )
(I die sometimes when I revive a downed player in metas, because of the snipers or champs/legendarys, but that should be normal) Honestly, if a “sniper, champ, legendary” can’t kill you, than the fun is over..that’s my opinion.
In my oppinion this 4 HoT maps have normal difficulty, and Tyria maps are easy/very easy maps.
The one thing bothered me, that I often got lost in these maps… but after exploring, doing events, I’m getting used to it…( I still need 3-4 week to know them all verry good )

How do I melee in HoT?

Posted by: Schurge.5194

Schurge.5194

My warrior is vanilla (even in HOT!). I use Rifle off hand and then I change melee weapons depending on what I’m expecting to fight. Axe / Axe is great for trash, if you plan on running through mobs then GS for mobility / evade or Hammer for CC is good.

I main necromancer and it is much easier to melee with Reaper Shroud heh heh.

Champion Phantom
We are not friends.

How do I melee in HoT?

Posted by: Aomine.5012

Aomine.5012

My MM necro melee in HoT 90% of time in all maps and doing fine
My Necro is full zerk btw.

How do I melee in HoT?

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

The answer? Bring a ranged option and swap as needed. Use melee when you can, and don’t use it when you can’t. That’s the best advice I can give.

Then a mob with reflect shows up and you murder yourself on the reflect :P

How do I melee in HoT?

Posted by: Star Ace.5207

Star Ace.5207

That also literally makes you a worse player. It may make it more enjoyable in the shortrun, but next time you come up against a challenge, like in raids, you may very well fail because of the PVT decision.

False dichotomy, unfortunately all too common in this community: “Soldier’s means you have no skill and don’t know how to dodge.”. Dodging is not exclusive to squisby specs, nor is a player necessarily bad for using other options.

How do I melee in HoT?

Posted by: BobbyT.7192

BobbyT.7192

Then a mob with reflect shows up and you murder yourself on the reflect :P

then you melee or attack with a class that doesn’t rely on projectile attacks, like nerco axe

How do I melee in HoT?

Posted by: SirServed.5693

SirServed.5693

False dichotomy, unfortunately all too common in this community: “Soldier’s means you have no skill and don’t know how to dodge.”. Dodging is not exclusive to squisby specs, nor is a player necessarily bad for using other options.

This. I’ve been attacked by hordes of enemies during events in HoT when there were only 5 random players present, it’s nothing you’d expect. After enemies using all kinds of ground trails, charges, conditions, and any other nasty things they could throw at us, I was the only person alive, possibly because I use Soldier and the other 4 were probably using Zerker. Too much can go wrong as a glass cannon build in open world, and it’s foolish to expect ideal circumstances there. You make one mistake or something unexpected happens and you’re downed, that’s a terrible way to go about getting things done.

I show up prepared for the worst case scenario in open world, anything less than that is easy to deal with. Most of the time, enemies literally target me and ignore other players, which makes it easier for them to do their thing without having to worry about getting their faces eaten off. My methods get me results, and that’s all that matters.

How do I melee in HoT?

Posted by: tinymurder.5791

tinymurder.5791

Not a complaint thread. Just looking to l2p.

So I decide to get off my ranger/necro/dragonhunter/chronomancer/Revenant and play with my zerker warrior.

I can’t leave waypoint without dying. All mobs kill me at sight.

…lol, Runeblade. Stop trolling the new peeps who don’t realize you’re been on this game since launch.