Pre-Purchase Community Address

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Ricky.4706

Ricky.4706

yeah, nah, im jaded and anti social at this point, my 2 fav guilds out of a plethora i joined ….2 full lists 450 each….all gray. so i keep a guild with only me now for vault space, i didn’t choose the pug life, the pug life chose me.

IBM PC XT 4.77mhz w/turbo oc@ 8mhz 640kb windows 3.1 hayes 56k seagate 20 meg HD mda@720x350 pixels

(edited by Ricky.4706)

Posted by: BlazingZero.9702

BlazingZero.9702

The problem is still like
for veteran players:
I pay 100USD for old content(five character slots) + new content (1 character slot only if you pre-purchase)

for new players:
I pay 50 USD for old content(five character slots) + new content

Now come on, even if us veteran players pre-purchase HoT, what are we getting? An extra character slot. A freaking extra character slot. How much does that cost? 800 gems or 10 USD. Does this 800 gems mean anything to a veteran player who started playing since 2012 or even 2014? I don’t think so.

What kind of appreciation is this? Even worse is players that started playing this game 6 months ago can get a full-price refund. That means they don’t need to pay more to enjoy new content. A player who played a game for 6 months can be counted as a veteran and why on earth are players that are even more “veteran” who support this game longer, maybe even pay more for gems get treated like kitten?

I understand you want to attract more new players into this game, to keep this game “lively”, but that doesn’t mean you can treat old players like kitten.

Posted by: sydney.4901

sydney.4901

Here is my 2 cents on the matter,

I started playing GW2 when it first launched and played for several months until i got bored with the game. Time went by and i decided to start playing again, unfortunately I couldn’t retrieve my old account and had to buy a new copy of the game. Like other people I was one of those who bought it in anticipation of HoT launching and bought it on Sale for $10. According to the release I am eligible for a refund of $10, that I payed for the core game If I pre-order HoT. Even assuming I get the extra character slot for the new guy $40 for an expansion is just not worth it to me. I am really enjoying GW2 even more so than when it first launched however I spend most of my time in WvW. As a WvW player all I’m getting is a new map (that’d I’d get even if I don’t buy HoT) and Guild halls which I really couldn’t give 10 cents about.

I think a more reasonable price for HoT is $20.

As I already own the core game I feel there is no reason for re-buying it.
I’d pay some cash to support the game but not a full $40 for an undisclosed amount of content. ( Most of which I’d never use as I play GW2 primarily for WvW)
If I paid $20 for the expansion I would be more linnet with how often I use the Gem Store. Until the pricing for HoT was announced I was buying about 800 Gems every 2 weeks. At that rate I would get to A-Nets $40 value at the End of a single month of playing. I would probably spend even more over time of course.

A Bad analogy would be comparing it to Industrial Pumps. When you sell them you sell the Pumps for Under Value and you make your money on all the parts as the machine is worked. I believe A-Net would make more cash If they had a lower Price on the Expansion people would be more liberal on the Gem Store and not feel so bad about buying that fancy new skin, even though in the long run they will spend way more on in game items then the $50 A-Net is Initially asking for.

All in All I’m going to sit back and wait for either a Lower price point or just simply never buy HoT as I feel I get Very little for it.

That’s my 2 Cents on the matter,
Agree or Disagree have a great day!

Posted by: Valky.2574

Valky.2574

still wont be buying it for 49$ i did not even pay that much for the core game !
39$ so yea kitten this expansion i can wait for a huge price drop but lets be real .. i will prob be playing a new game by then

Posted by: scerevisiae.1972

scerevisiae.1972

Where is written in stone that everybody is looking for extra slots?!

The expac comes with a new class. It’s one of the few things we actually know for sure that will actually be in the (rather under-contented & overpriced) expansion.

It seems perfectly reasonable to expect that everything needed to enjoy the content of the expansion actually comes with the expansion, right? In the same way when you buy a new car, you expect to be able to drive it.

Therefore, everyone who buys the expac, should get a character slot included, no further questions or qualifications required.

downed state is bad for PVP

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

The expac comes with a new class. It’s one of the few things we actually know for sure that will actually be in the (rather under-contented & overpriced) expansion.

It seems perfectly reasonable to expect that everything needed to enjoy the content of the expansion actually comes with the expansion, right? In the same way when you buy a new car, you expect to be able to drive it.

Therefore, everyone who buys the expac, should get a character slot included, no further questions or qualifications required.

Your car scenario is not the same as here and does not apply. An expansion containing a new class does not mean that it must come with an expansion slot no more than a game is required to come with as many character slots as there are classes. You made the choice to use up your allotted character slots that came with the game.

There are character slots available for purchase. You may also take advantage of the pre-purchase bonus or purchase either of the two packages beyond standard to get this additional character slot. If you choose to not take up any of those options then that is your own choice.

Posted by: ajithls.5948

ajithls.5948

My beta character slot isnt working?
The create character button is just greyed out and when I double click it (it should go to character creation) it dosn’t do anything.

I even tried having 2 character slots free and the create button shows up but when you create it creates on the “normal” slots and not the “Beta” slot.
pic/ss attached below:

Attachments:

“How much grog could a quaggan quaff if a quaggan could quaff grog?”

(edited by ajithls.5948)

Posted by: Alphaheart.5087

Alphaheart.5087

It’s cause there is currently no Beta Weekends or Beta Events.
It was like that for me when I got the slot for the closed beta, so don’t freak out. Just wait for the announcement of a beta weekend/event.

Posted by: ajithls.5948

ajithls.5948

Guess I’ll just have to wait then. ^-^

“How much grog could a quaggan quaff if a quaggan could quaff grog?”

Posted by: scerevisiae.1972

scerevisiae.1972

Your car scenario is not the same as here and does not apply. An expansion containing a new class does not mean that it must come with an expansion slot no more than a game is required to come with as many character slots as there are classes. You made the choice to use up your allotted character slots that came with the game.

There are character slots available for purchase. You may also take advantage of the pre-purchase bonus or purchase either of the two packages beyond standard to get this additional character slot. If you choose to not take up any of those options then that is your own choice.

Those initial 8 classes and 5 character slots came with the original game. I already paid for those. The expac comes with a single, new class, which is not possible to play for most existing players without deleting one of their existing characters.

Once again, this is like buying a new car and the salesman not giving you any wheels on the second car because your first car already came with wheels.

downed state is bad for PVP

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Why is anyone even defending this? You can’t play the new profession if you don’t have a character slot left. So buying the expansion means having to buy the extra character slot on top of that. That is a thinly veiled higher price of $60, and customers are right to complain about it. They never did this with Guild Wars 1. You got not just 1, but 2, or even 3 (if you preordered) free extra character slots when buying the Nightfall expansion (which was an actual full stand alone expansion).

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Posted by: Cheeky Wizard.7496

Cheeky Wizard.7496

Why pre-order something you already have bought. We all have the core game, right? So I’ve decided to vote with my money! And here are my reasons,

I) Too expensive for an expansion in an age of austerity. There should have been just an expansion price – end of. New players could still have bought the core game separately.

2) Once again small guilds have not been considered. Our guild doesn’t even have enough players for guild missions and so on. So it’s just another kick in the teeth for small fun guilds and we’ve simply had enough of putting every effort into influence with very little return..

3) Pre-ordering before an announced live start date is like giving away £35/$50 into the heart of the mists. You know it’s coming but no one has no idea when. That is money that could be earning ME interest and not somebody else.

4) Is it actually worth it? I am wondering if this expansion will be about the same size if not smaller than Eye Of The North (GW1) ? If it is, then that will be very disappointing and a lot of players will be feeling down and depressed for the money paid. Not want you want to feel when a game is supposed to be fun.

5) Will I enjoy it? From what I hear from others – I don’t think so.

Mind you after listing my reasons for not pre-ordering, I am beginning to ask myself if I should bother with this expansion at all.

Posted by: Mortifer.2946

Mortifer.2946

Why is anyone even defending this? You can’t play the new profession if you don’t have a character slot left. So buying the expansion means having to buy the extra character slot on top of that. That is a thinly veiled higher price of $60, and customers are right to complain about it. They never did this with Guild Wars 1. You got not just 1, but 2, or even 3 (if you preordered) free extra character slots when buying the Nightfall expansion (which was an actual full stand alone expansion).

Not anymore, read news. Every veteran will get +1 character slot, on the top of the one slot that is already offered for deluxe and ultimate versions.

So:
Standard: +1
Deluxe: +2
Ultimate: +2

The bonus veteran slot will be given out to players in coming weeks.

Posted by: Tyrian Trailblazer.2460

Tyrian Trailblazer.2460

Not anymore, read news. Every veteran will get +1 character slot, on the top of the one slot that is already offered for deluxe and ultimate versions.

So:
Standard: +1
Deluxe: +2
Ultimate: +2

The bonus veteran slot will be given out to players in coming weeks.[/quote]

So ‘everyone’ seems to be happy that we all get one extra character slot worth 800 gems and the fact we are still buying a copy of the core game which we already have for an overpriced expansion. WRONG.

A-net have already said that every expansion will also include a copy of the core game and any previous expansion prior to that.

This seems to be a like a Relaunch of Guild wars 2 to get new players. Are they doing it the right way? I don’t think so. I’ll just wait for the last expansion to be released, get my spare copy of the core game and all the previous expansions included.

Mortifer.2946

So ‘everyone’ seems to be happy that we all get one extra character slot worth 800 gems and the fact we are still buying a copy of the core game which we already have for an overpriced expansion. WRONG.

A-net have already said that every expansion will also include a copy of the core game and any previous expansion prior to that.

This seems to be a like a Relaunch of Guild wars 2 to get new players. Are they doing it the right way? I don’t think so. I’ll just wait for the last expansion to be released, get my spare copy of the core game and all the previous expansions included.

Okay, see you in 12 years mate While waiting, I think I will have years of fun. But don’t worry, I will tell you about everything you missed.

(edited by Mortifer.2946)

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

And for such a no brainer must be opened up extra a thread here lol…

However, I would find it nice, if all Beta Testers which participated in the Betas and helped finding Bugs, Stress Testing and giving valuable feedback to Anet via metrics ect., that we coudl keep at the end the Beta Slot as a full integrated Slot for our Account, just only that the Beta Characters ect. get deleted, but at least the Slot stays.
That woudl be very nice as a little gift for helping out ANet for participating in the Betas.

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Ayrilana.1396

Those initial 8 classes and 5 character slots came with the original game. I already paid for those. The expac comes with a single, new class, which is not possible to play for most existing players without deleting one of their existing characters.

Once again, this is like buying a new car and the salesman not giving you any wheels on the second car because your first car already came with wheels.

No. Once again, it is not like buying a new car. Your example of a new car would only apply if you were buying a new game entirely which you’re not. This is just an expansion of the existing game. An expansion with new a new class does not need to provide additional character slots. Pre-purchasing the expansion will get you an extra character slot which you can do this up to the day before it launches. You can also buy the editions above standard and get another character slot on top of that. For the majority of players, this is a non-issue as they will have already pre-purchased the game in anticipation to play the expansion on Day One.

Why pre-order something you already have bought. We all have the core game, right? So I’ve decided to vote with my money! And here are my reasons,

I) Too expensive for an expansion in an age of austerity. There should have been just an expansion price – end of. New players could still have bought the core game separately.

2) Once again small guilds have not been considered. Our guild doesn’t even have enough players for guild missions and so on. So it’s just another kick in the teeth for small fun guilds and we’ve simply had enough of putting every effort into influence with very little return..

3) Pre-ordering before an announced live start date is like giving away £35/$50 into the heart of the mists. You know it’s coming but no one has no idea when. That is money that could be earning ME interest and not somebody else.

4) Is it actually worth it? I am wondering if this expansion will be about the same size if not smaller than Eye Of The North (GW1) ? If it is, then that will be very disappointing and a lot of players will be feeling down and depressed for the money paid. Not want you want to feel when a game is supposed to be fun.

5) Will I enjoy it? From what I hear from others – I don’t think so.

Mind you after listing my reasons for not pre-ordering, I am beginning to ask myself if I should bother with this expansion at all.

You’re not buying the core game again. It’s just a free bonus for new accounts. Many companies provide benefits to new customers. It’s nothing new. You may want to read the article about the guild halls again because they are not forgetting about smaller guilds.

Posted by: drkmgic.9583

drkmgic.9583

Is this beta slot the free slot that we get when we prepurchased hot? Or is this just a random slot.

Posted by: minbariguy.7504

minbariguy.7504

Not every veteran. Only the ones who pre-purchase the game. No thanks.

On another note, I really love how so many people in this thread (not directed at you, Mortifer) keep going on about how “entitled” we are for thinking the expansion should simply come with the flipping character slot without strings attached. If anyone in this situation is acting entitled, it is most certainly ANet, who seems to think they are entitled to my money before they even announce a release date, let alone provide the product they want me to pay them for.

Honestly, they have done their level best to try to pressure people to buy a character slot. They originally had no intention of including one at all in the basic version of HoT, and were only dragged kicking and screaming to the point we find ourselves at now, where they grudgingly agree to provide one IF, and ONLY IF, we give them our money before they provide the product.

I get that they are a business. I get that they need money to keep that business running. But they could have— in fact, should have — chosen to earn that money by providing us with the opportunity to purchase things from the gem store that we would enjoy. Instead they have chosen to release a product with less than we will need in the hope that we will pay them even more money to get full use of this product. This just creates a feeling of resentment on my part. It feels like a greedy rip-off.

Yes, they need cash, but it’s not like Collin is out in the company parking lot collecting empty pop cans for the deposit money so they can pay their electric bill. They aren’t desperate, even though this move kind of makes it look like they are.

(edited by minbariguy.7504)

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

random, has nothing to do with the free slot we get for prepurchasing, nor has it anythign to do with the free slot that veterans should get as bonus for prepurchasing on top.

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: Lucky.4263

Lucky.4263

So since HoT is just about the same price as GW2 base game when it released what i want to ask is, is it worth $50.00
, i got a full lvling exp from 1-80 as well as some kool story, on top of countless interesting (not all but most) quest.. i logged about 500hrs of gameplay before hitting my limit bout a year ago. in the base game..

What makes HoT worth $50?, becuz if im not getting the same exp as before thats a rip off for real.. a new class, some class revamp stuff (which should have been there before, i shouldnt have to pay becuz you changed your mind on how you want the classes to work) and some 15-20ish hours of story if its even that much.

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

“becuz if im not getting the same exp as before thats a rip off for real..”

What if you’re getting a better experience than before?

Here’s a thought, instead of trying to start yet another emotion-laden tear-jerker of a thread in a sea of crocodile tears how about you actually go to a little research of your own? Watch videos, watch reviews, and decide for yourself with the only person that actually is concerned about your opinion… yourself. You’ll make a far more informed judgement if you actually use information in your judgement.

#TeamJadeQuarry

Ayrilana.1396

So since HoT is just about the same price as GW2 base game when it released what i want to ask is, is it worth $50.00
, i got a full lvling exp from 1-80 as well as some kool story, on top of countless interesting (not all but most) quest.. i logged about 500hrs of gameplay before hitting my limit bout a year ago. in the base game..

What makes HoT worth $50?, becuz if im not getting the same exp as before thats a rip off for real.. a new class, some class revamp stuff (which should have been there before, i shouldnt have to pay becuz you changed your mind on how you want the classes to work) and some 15-20ish hours of story if its even that much.

Whether the expansion is worth it is something everyone should consider. A lot of people, including myself, have already decided that it is. More information will be released between now and when it’s released so hopefully more people who are on the fence will decide for themselves that it’s worth it.

Don’t be fooled by confusing cost with value. How many people bought both Skyrim and GW2 upon their initial releases for $60? Which provided for value to you? I can honestly say that I got more out of GW2 than I did Skyrim. Should GW2 have been priced higher because of that or Skyrim placed lower? Value itself is also very subjective as well.

Posted by: Automaton.4926

Automaton.4926

And for such a no brainer must be opened up extra a thread here lol…

However, I would find it nice, if all Beta Testers which participated in the Betas and helped finding Bugs, Stress Testing and giving valuable feedback to Anet via metrics ect., that we coudl keep at the end the Beta Slot as a full integrated Slot for our Account, just only that the Beta Characters ect. get deleted, but at least the Slot stays.
That woudl be very nice as a little gift for helping out ANet for participating in the Betas.

You want free stuff for playing a game? Anet makes their money back on this game from Gem purchases. I don’t want them handing out even more free char slots cause people think they should get them for nothing. Just farm for ur slot or skip a few coffees one week. You will survive buddy.

Posted by: Test.8734

Test.8734

What makes HoT worth $50?

Nothing.

Keep in mind ArenaNet has seeing declining profits, and that they invested a lot in the China release, which was a failure. They’re now releasing an overpriced expansion in order to make up for the money they have lost, but this is clearly a move to help them, not for the benefit of their players.

Lucky.4263

“becuz if im not getting the same exp as before thats a rip off for real..”

What if you’re getting a better experience than before?

Here’s a thought, instead of trying to start yet another emotion-laden tear-jerker of a thread in a sea of crocodile tears how about you actually go to a little research of your own? Watch videos, watch reviews, and decide for yourself with the only person that actually is concerned about your opinion… yourself. You’ll make a far more informed judgement if you actually use information in your judgement.

As you can so painfully tell with the information i provided in my OP i did the research and non of thee above suggest and justifies HoT being $50.. If the story is the selling point it better be one hell of a story..

im not very familiar with horizontal progression games.. i get they have to make money but with the info provided and to someone that mainly familiar wit vertical progression where an exspansion comes with new lvls, gear and multiple zones (which reminds me this exspansion has only one new zone and not very big).. they are not selling it very well.

Posted by: Ricky.4706

Ricky.4706

the price doesn’t justify the marketing hype, but less the hype, anet has proven in the past they will give you more than your 50 dollars worth over time. So it really depends how you want to look at it.

price based on marketing hype = fail
price based on anets dedication to improving the game = priceless.

IBM PC XT 4.77mhz w/turbo oc@ 8mhz 640kb windows 3.1 hayes 56k seagate 20 meg HD mda@720x350 pixels

Lucky.4263

Whether the expansion is worth it is something everyone should consider. A lot of people, including myself, have already decided that it is. More information will be released between now and when it’s released so hopefully more people who are on the fence will decide for themselves that it’s worth it.

Don’t be fooled by confusing cost with value. How many people bought both Skyrim and GW2 upon their initial releases for $60? Which provided for value to you? I can honestly say that I got more out of GW2 than I did Skyrim. Should GW2 have been priced higher because of that or Skyrim placed lower? Value itself is also very subjective as well.

while you do make a point and i agree i got way more out of gw2 base game then skyrim and enjoyed it very much… but there is a such thing as pricing things above their value.. if HoT expansion has a fraction of the content of gw2 base game for the same price, you can see where my arguement is.. whether its enjoyable or not is not the issue here..

Posted by: ODB.6891

ODB.6891

This ^ for all the white knights to read and more importantly, comprehend! It can’t be stated any more clearly or logically than this. HoT is a separate purchase from the original GW2 game, which we did already pay for. Those 8 classes and 5 character slots were bought and paid for a long time ago…they have absolutely nothing to do with this current purchase. Stop trying to refer back to a previous purchase, to try to excuse what they are cheating us on, in this current expected purchase. For this price, this should be a functional product right out of the “box”. The car example fits perfectly. The product you buy should be fully functional, no matter who the buyer is. Whether you bought a previous product from them or not, you should still be able to fully utilize this new product without having to buy extra from them. It is exactly like expecting someone to buy a new car and not including enough wheels to drive it…just because they bought a previous car. ANET needs to make a choice, either this is an expansion (lower the price and omit the character slot) or this is a full product (include full product benefits).

Ayrilana.1396

while you do make a point and i agree i got way more out of gw2 base game then skyrim and enjoyed it very much… but there is a such thing as pricing things above their value.. if HoT expansion has a fraction of the content of gw2 base game for the same price, you can see where my arguement is.. whether its enjoyable or not is not the issue here..

Yes there is such a thing as pricing a game above their value which I though my post had addressed. It’s up to the players to determine if the current cost of the expansion is worth it. That’s not decision that I, nor anyone else, can make for them.

Whether HoT contains only a fraction of the content of the core game is irrelevant. For one thing, no expansion that I have heard of contained more content than its core game. I brought up Skyrim to show that value is not necessarily tied to price. If that was actually true then one of the games was not priced correctly.

Whether you purchase the expansion or not is not about a comparison (check list) with what you got out of the core game or what other expansions provide. It’s about the value that you get from the expansion itself and whether you personally feel that it’s worth the price that is currently being charged for it.

Lucky.4263

Yes there is such a thing as pricing a game above their value which I though my post had addressed. It’s up to the players to determine if the current cost of the expansion is worth it. That’s not decision that I, nor anyone else, can make for them.

Whether HoT contains only a fraction of the content of the core game is irrelevant. For one thing, no expansion that I have heard of contained more content than its core game. I brought up Skyrim to show that value is not necessarily tied to price. If that was actually true then one of the games was not priced correctly.

Whether you purchase the expansion or not is not about a comparison (check list) with what you got out of the core game or what other expansions provide. It’s about the value that you get from the expansion itself and whether you personally feel that it’s worth the price that is currently being charged for it.

No mmo i have heard of has charged its player base a full games price for the fraction of its content and yest this is relevant… letts not forget returning players must also buy the living story pack which is $20 (or some odd amount of hours grinding for gold) to be up to date on the story which so far seems to be anets selling point. which also brings me to another Q: why not add “the living story” to the $49.99 instead of the base game?

While i did get more enjoyment out of gw2,, skyrims price was justified by its content and replayablity.

(edited by Lucky.4263)

Ayrilana.1396

This ^ for all the white knights to read and more importantly, comprehend! It can’t be stated any more clearly or logically than this. HoT is a separate purchase from the original GW2 game, which we did already pay for. Those 8 classes and 5 character slots were bought and paid for a long time ago…they have absolutely nothing to do with this current purchase. Stop trying to refer back to a previous purchase, to try to excuse what they are cheating us on, in this current expected purchase. For this price, this should be a functional product right out of the “box”. The car example fits perfectly. The product you buy should be fully functional, no matter who the buyer is. Whether you bought a previous product from them or not, you should still be able to fully utilize this new product without having to buy extra from them. It is exactly like expecting someone to buy a new car and not including enough wheels to drive it…just because they bought a previous car. ANET needs to make a choice, either this is an expansion (lower the price and omit the character slot) or this is a full product (include full product benefits).

You’re not being cheated. Players made the choice to use up the five character slots that came with the core game. They then had to purchase additional slots to play the remaining classes. There’s no reason that the expansion was required to come with an additional character slot because of a new class. This argument is kind of moot now that all veterans who pre-purchase the game get an additional character slot.

The car example fails for reasons that I had already stated. Examples of not getting the keys/tires for the car would apply to the core game and not the expansion. The car and the core game are the same with an expansion being an extension of that.

Posted by: CodeHavoc.7926

CodeHavoc.7926

I suggest waiting. In time it will be featured on sites such as Greemangaming, GoG and others that will have it at a discounted price if you don’t agree 50 bucks minimum is a reasonable price.

Necro Jesus is a thing apparently
The Zerker Bunker meta is the biggest bug in the game

Ayrilana.1396

No mmo i have heard of has charged its player base a full games price for the fraction of its content and yest this is relevant… letts not forget returning players must also buy the living story pack which is $20 (or some odd amount of hours grinding for gold) to be up to date on the story which so far seems to be anets selling point. which also brings me to another Q: why not add “the living story” to the $49.99 instead of the base game?

While i did get more enjoyment out of gw2,, skyrims price was justified by its content and replayablity.

For one thing, GW2 was released for $60 so you’re not being charged the same price for the expansion as the core game. As I said before, you base the price based on the value that you perceive on all of the content available with the expansion. If the value that you get is worth the price tag, then buy it. Comparisons are misleading as value is not really associated with price which is why I brought up the Skyrim example. GW2 has the same re-playability as Skyrim if not more.

Lucky.4263

I suggest waiting. In time it will be featured on sites such as Greemangaming, GoG and others that will have it at a discounted price if you don’t agree 50 bucks minimum is a reasonable price.

This seems to be my best bet and while Ayrilana.1396 makes a valid point only i can decide the worth of something, its hard to wrap my head around the pricing for such a small exspansion (refering to content that will keep the average player playing not hardcore gw2 players) and their reasoning for it.. its like they are doing it for the sake of just doing it.

ODB.6891

You’re not being cheated. Players made the choice to use up the five character slots that came with the core game. They then had to purchase additional slots to play the remaining classes. There’s no reason that the expansion was required to come with an additional character slot because of a new class. This argument is kind of moot now that all veterans who pre-purchase the game get an additional character slot.

The car example fails for reasons that I had already stated. Examples of not getting the keys/tires for the car would apply to the core game and not the expansion. The car and the core game are the same with an expansion being an extension of that.

Again….references back to a product we already paid for are invalid. Yes, I chose to fully utilize what I already paid for. I would also choose to fully utilize this new product that happens to be at nearly the same price as that previous product. The issue is that I cannot fully utilize this new product in its current form…unless I give them my money in advance (with no release date, no reasonable listing of included content, etc). Again, yes the car example does apply. In fact, you can substitute any other product you expect to work out of the box in the car example’s place. Any other example that you pay the identical price as you paid for the previous version of that same product. This example is the same whether you think of it as not including any wheels, any seats, or missing even the steering wheel. They are selling an incomplete product that does not fully function unless you buy more from them…and they are selling it at nearly the same price as they sold the previous…fully functional product. If they want us to consider it as an expansion…essentially as an add on to the previous purchase…then it needs to be at an add on price.

Clearly this is not a moot point…as you and some others try to dismiss this as. This is a disrespectful and greedy move by ANET. They are disrespecting the intelligence of their existing players to expect them to not see this…although apparently there are some existing players who are easy marks. I’ve walked away from several companies…to never do business with them again…for less than this. I think many existing players will likely follow this pattern if ANET continues this. It isn’t really even about the money….its about respect and honesty.

(edited by ODB.6891)

Posted by: Test.8734

Test.8734

Whether HoT contains only a fraction of the content of the core game is irrelevant. For one thing, no expansion that I have heard of contained more content than its core game.

And no expansion that I have heard of had the same price of its core game. We can clearly see there is something wrong with HoT, and it’s not only how it lacks content.

Ayrilana.1396

Whether HoT contains only a fraction of the content of the core game is irrelevant. For one thing, no expansion that I have heard of contained more content than its core game.

And no expansion that I have heard of had the same price of its core game. We can clearly see there is something wrong with HoT, and it’s not only how it lacks content.

For one thing, GW2 was released for $60 so you’re not being charged the same price for the expansion as the core game. As I said before, you base the price based on the value that you perceive on all of the content available with the expansion. If the value that you get is worth the price tag, then buy it. Comparisons are misleading as value is not really associated with price which is why I brought up the Skyrim example. GW2 has the same re-playability as Skyrim if not more.

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

I don’t get how this is a Question type thread….

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

Ayrilana.1396

Again….references back to a product we already paid for are invalid. Yes, I chose to fully utilize what I already paid for. I would also choose to fully utilize this new product that happens to be at the same price as that previous product. The issue is that I cannot fully utilize this new product in its current form…unless I give them my money in advance (with no release date, no reasonable listing of included content, etc). Again, yes the car example does apply. In fact, you can substitute any other product you expect to work out of the box in the car example’s place. Any other example that you pay the identical price as you paid for the previous version of that same product. This example is the same whether you think of it as not including any wheels, any seats, or missing even the steering wheel. They are selling an incomplete product that does not fully function unless you buy more from them…and they are selling it at the same price as they sold the previous…fully functional product. If they want us to consider it as an expansion…essentially as an add on to the previous purchase…then it needs to be at an add on price.

No. The references are valid when trying to prove a point. The expansion is also not the same price as what veterans paid for when the game was originally released. It’s not a requirement for an expansion that releases a new class to come with an additional character slot. I brought up the core game because those that wanted to play all classes that came with it had to purchase additional character slots. I know that I had to in order to play every single class.

The car example isn’t valid. The car can’t be the expansion because the car is functional on its own whereas the expansion is not. The car would have to be the core game. Even if you were to twist it around like you’re trying and assume that the car is the same as the expansion, it would not work. The wheels and keys are required for the car to function. The expansion still functions without the additional class.

Clearly this is not a moot point…as you and some others try to dismiss this as. This is a disrespectful and greedy move by ANET. They are disrespecting the intelligence of their existing players to expect them to not see this…although apparently there are some existing players who are easy marks. I’ve walked away from several companies…to never do business with them again…for less than this. I think many existing players will likely follow this pattern if ANET continues this. It isn’t really even about the money….its about respect and honesty.

It is still a moot point as veteran players who pre-purchase the expansion get a free character slot. Everyone has until the day before the release to do the pre-purchase. If they do not plan on buying it by then they very likely would not be buying it immediately once it’s been launched.

Ayrilana.1396

It is as they’re asking if the expansion is worth the $50 which in the end is really up for them to decide.

ODB.6891

If the pre-purchase window really is until launch, then I’ll go along, but I definitely have an issue with a blind pre-purchase like it currently is. So it is not a moot point just yet. I still think its a slimy move to have the ability to play one of the few major features of the new game/expansion…blocked by an additional pay wall or a blind purchase…but that may be resolved if they eventually reveal content worth paying $50 for before the pre-purchase period ends. I’m going to have to agree to disagree with you on the character slot until this reveal.

Cheeky Wizard.7496

Tyrian Trailblazer wrote,
I’ll just wait for the last expansion to be released, get my spare copy of the core game and all the previous expansions included.

Mortifer replied,
Okay, see you in 12 years mate While waiting, I think I will have years of fun. But don’t worry, I will tell you about everything you missed.

Cheeky Wizard says,
OK Mortifer, some of us don’t think this game will be played in two years time let alone twelve. Still if you’re the last one on the server you can have as much fun as you like on your own mate

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

It is as they’re asking if the expansion is worth the $50 which in the end is really up for them to decide.

I always thought that Question based threads needed some sort of factual answer to a question, not really an opinion….

Like (silly question but) “How do you port to a town using the world map?” – “Answer double click on the way-point you want to travel (looks like so and so)”

Or like:
“When is the HoT release date?”
Answer: “No one knows…”.

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

(edited by Zero Day.2594)

Cheeky Wizard.7496

Ayrilana.1396 wrote,

You may want to read the article about the guild halls again because they are not forgetting about smaller guilds.[/quote]

Cheeky says,

I’ve read it again but perhaps you would like to enlighten us as to how small guilds can capture their guild hall with just a couple of players. I can’t wait to read your interpretation of that as you seem to have glanced over the main points in my original post. Perhaps Ayrilana.1396 you would take the time to read them again.

Many thanks.

Ayrilana.1396

I always thought that Question based threads needed some sort of factual answer to a question, not really an opinion….

Like (silly question but) “How do you port to a town using the world map?” – “Answer double click on the way-point you want to travel (looks like so and so)”

Or like:
“When is the HoT release date?”
Answer: “No one knows…”.

Oh, I see what you mean.

Ayrilana.1396

If the pre-purchase window really is until launch, then I’ll go along, but I definitely have an issue with a blind pre-purchase like it currently is. So it is not a moot point just yet. I still think its a slimy move to have the ability to play one of the few major features of the new game/expansion…blocked by an additional pay wall or a blind purchase…but that may be resolved if they eventually reveal content worth paying $50 for before the pre-purchase period ends. I’m going to have to agree to disagree with you on the character slot until this reveal.

Yeah, you have until it’s released. That’s why I’ve been telling people who are not satisfied with what they see to wait until later. I know if I personally didn’t believe that the expansion was worth it at the moment, I’d be waiting until more info was released that could change that. And I do agree that we’ll likely never agree at the moment as to whether the game is worth the $50 purchase price as this is entirely subjective. Hopefully they release enough info in the future to persuade all those on the fence that this is worth the buy.

Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396 wrote,

You may want to read the article about the guild halls again because they are not forgetting about smaller guilds.

Cheeky says,

I’ve read it again but perhaps you would like to enlighten us as to how small guilds can capture their guild hall with just a couple of players. I can’t wait to read your interpretation of that as you seem to have glanced over the main points in my original post. Perhaps Ayrilana.1396 you would take the time to read them again.

Many thanks.

Oh, that. They haven’t decided on what the cut off is yet but you can enlist the help of others to help clear the guild hall in order to claim it. Whether two guilds can clear the same guild hall at the same time and both get credit hasn’t been addressed or I haven’t seen the response yet.

Mortifer.2946

Tyrian Trailblazer wrote,
I’ll just wait for the last expansion to be released, get my spare copy of the core game and all the previous expansions included.

Mortifer replied,

Cheeky Wizard says,
OK Mortifer, some of us don’t think this game will be played in two years time let alone twelve. Still if you’re the last one on the server you can have as much fun as you like on your own mate

Well, the game is up for 3 years now and there are 5 dragons to kill if I remember correctly, so why not? That Warcraft thingy runs for more than 12 years I think.. and Lineage 2 for sure… MMOs last long, especially good ones like GW2. If you really hate this game what are you doing here?

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

You’re not being cheated. Players made the choice to use up the five character slots that came with the core game. They then had to purchase additional slots to play the remaining classes. There’s no reason that the expansion was required to come with an additional character slot because of a new class.

This argument is kind of moot now that all veterans who pre-purchase the game get an additional character slot.

You are still being cheated. They are trying to force you to buy a product that doesn’t exist yet, for the price of a full game while you know it will be just an expansion. And you only get the free character slot if you pre-purchase, and otherwise you don’t.

Many people WILL need the extra character slot, so that raises the price from $50 to $60 to anyone that doesn’t pre-purchase.

Ask yourself, is $60 a reasonable price for an expansion? Many of the defenders assume that everyone should pre-purchase! Boy, I bet Anet really loves you all! That is exactly what they want! But what if you do not want to pre-purchase? What if you want to wait till the product is done, and perhaps wait for the reviews, and see if you like what you hear?

Perhaps you are one of those rare people that does not buy games on impulse? Do you get a free character slot? NO! It’s $60 bucks for you!

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)